Enar's Vacation - Open Beta

By Nilsdlund

Enar's Vacation is the story about Enar, who goes on vacation. It's about the places he sees and the people h... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Epilogue

Chapter 16

6 0 2
By Nilsdlund

1819 Words

This is a beta version of Enar's Vacation. Changes can - and probably will - be made as a result of reader feedback. I hope you'll enjoy it and I hope you'll take the time to give me some feedback. It will help me make this story the best it can be.

+++

Enar stepped up on the porch. From over in the hanging wicker chair, Beired kept an eye on her children as they finished preparations for breakfast. Several pots and pans already sat on the table and Linus walked around laying out plates and cups for everyone.

Linnea appeared from within the burrow, carrying a large steaming bowl. A moment later the smell of mushrooms, fried in butter and salt, hit Enar straight in the nose. Screaming with glee, Loianna came through the door, wielding a large wooden spoon, and running as fast as her little legs could carry her. She smacked Linnea over the hip with her makeshift sword and, still hollering, ran back into the burrow.

"Easy," came a shout from just within the doorway, and Erik stepped out, carrying a tray full of meatballs and glistening sausages.

Enar's mouth watered.

"There you are Enar," said Erik. "Sit down and relax, we're almost ready to begin - just bringing out the last." He surveyed the table and turned to his brother. "Linus, can you go tell dad to bring a new spoon for the beans. Loianna got hold of the other one."

"Is there anything I can do to help," asked Enar, eyeing the table and hoping there wasn't. His belly rumbled.

"No, no, we're almost done. Just need a new spoon for the beans and... I think that's it."

Linnea coughed and whispered something to her brother.

"Oh, right, the bread." Erik's cheeks flushed red, and he shot a glance over at his mother in the hanging chair. "Would you mind getting that Linnea? Thanks."

"Sure thing, brother. I'll tell dad we're done."

Enar pulled out a chair and sat down; same place as yesterday and the evening before that. "This looks delicious. Do you always have such big breakfasts?"

"Well, yes. This is nothing special," replied Erik and sat down at his own spot. "It's a little bit more food now that we're one extra, but other than that this is a normal breakfast for us - same as yesterday."

"Wow." Enar usually had a bagel and some orange juice, or perhaps yoghurt if he was in the mood. His mother had insisted on porridge in the morning, but these days he usually choose the option with less dishes. "I thought yesterday was a bit special, as it was Restday. I'm impressed."

Erik beamed and drew breath, as if to say something.

"Enar, my friend!" Rolf's voice boomed from the doorway. "Good morning to you. Did you sleep well?" He walked over and sat down at the head of the table.

"I slept very well, thank you. It's so quiet here - and the bed is very comfortable."

"I'm glad to hear you're rested. You have a long day ahead of you." Rolf looked out over the table. "Goodness me but I'm hungry. Erik, what have you set for us this morning? Those mushrooms smell delicious."

And with that, breakfast began.

"So, Enar, what did you think of the grand oaks yesterday? They're quite something, aren't they?" said Erik and scooped up a big helping of potatoes on his plate.

"Yes, indeed. I was very impressed. Excuse me." Enar stretched over and grabbed a bread roll. "In fact... if there's time, I wouldn't mind going over there to have a look again before I leave. I'm really curious about those little platforms up in the trees." He shot Rolf a glance. "If you don't have anything else planned of course."

"Well my friend, we'll be over at the inn on Annsday - for the stocktaking, you know. If you want to take some time and go climb the oaks instead, that won't be no bother at all."

At the mention of climbing trees Elsie's head shot up. "I want to climb the trees too. Can I come? Enar, can I come climb the trees with you?"

"I don't know Elsie." He looked from Rolf to Beired, but got no support. "You'll have to ask your mom and dad if it's okay with them."

Elsie frowned. "Why should I ask them? They're not going to climb the trees."

"But..." Enar turned to Rolf.

"She's got you there my friend." The man chuckled. "I sure won't be climbing any trees and neither will Beired. It's all up to you."

"Oh, but I thought..." said Enar and trailed off. It didn't matter what he'd thought. He'd clearly been wrong anyway. He popped a piece of bread in his mouth and chewed for a moment. Everyone looked at him. "Yes Elsie, you can come along. You probably know the best spots anyway."

"I want to come too," said Linus. "I'm a better climber than Elsie."

"You're not," shouted Elsie. "You even fell out of the easy tree here in the orchard."

"I did not, you pushed me! Linnea, tell her!"

"Shush, Linus," said Linnea. "Don't yell. You'll come with me and help feed the chickens instead. That's much more fun isn't it."

Linus turned to tell Elsie something and knocked his cup off the table. Elsie pointed and laughed at her brother. Linus howled like a siren, having spilled hot tea on himself. Linnea scowled at Elsie and Erik fussed over Linus with a napkin, trying to soak up the worst of the spillage. Loianna put half a sausage in Linnea's tea.

At each end of the table, Rolf and Beired observed the chaos in silence. They might even have smiled a little.

"So... what was that you said about settling down and starting a family, my friend?"

Enar blushed. "I didn't... I mean... I'm sure it has its good sides, right?"

Rolf just laughed.

Enar scooped up some beans on his bread and chewed in silence. Erik and Linnea succeeded in bringing order to the table again and for a moment everyone focused on their food.

"So," Enar said once he'd finished his bread roll. "Two days from now we're doing the stocktaking, and tomorrow we're herding sheep, but what's the plan for today? You wanted me to go sight seeing over there somewhere, right?" He pointed at one of the hills over in the distance, hoping he remembered right.

"Aye, that's correct," said Rolf and pointed to another hilltop, a little to the west of the one Enar had looked at.. "It's that one to the right there, with the one lone tree on top of it."

"Oh, right. I see now." Just barely. They all looked pretty much the same, only that one was a little smoother and a had some kind of little smudge just at the top. "What's up there that's so special?"

"You'll see when you get there my friend. You'll see when you get there." Rolf grinned at him.

"Hmm, okay." One of those things is it? He stared at the tiny speck that was supposed to be a tree. If nothing else, a long walk through the countryside might be nice. "It looks awfully far though? You mentioned something about a guide?"

"Yes, my friend. I'll take you to the kennel - as soon as we're done eating. It's not far."

Enar froze. Fork halfway to the mouth. A single bean dropped back on the plate.

"Kennel?" he said.

"Yes." Rolf puffed out his chest. "Finest dogs in all the hills. You'll find no better guides or trackers anywhere."

Enar returned his fork to the plate and stared at the man. "My guide... is a dog?" His mouth went dry, and he swallowed.

"Yep! Best guides ever. Never get lost, never lose anyone. You're not afraid of dogs are you?"

"No..." More like, absolutely terrified. "No, of course not - unless they're really big." Bigger than a loaf of bread. "They make lovely pets don't they?"

"Well..." Rolf cleared his throat and looked over at Beired at the other end of the table. "They're not exactly pets, but they're very well trained. You have nothing to worry about my friend."

"Yes, Enar," said Beired. "We have a very long tradition of training dogs for tracking and guiding in these parts. It goes back all the way to the old days. The dogs are safe."

Enar looked at the little woman. Beads of sweat appeared on his throat. "If... if you say so..." He stared at the little pool of beans on his plate. "They're not very big are they?"

"Rufus has dogs that are bigger than I am." Elsie raised her hand above her head to show just how big. "When I was really little I got lost in the forest and they sent out Bolvar to find me and he did and then he carried me home."

Enar's heart grew cold and he felt the color drain from his face. Just how big did a dog have to be to carry a little girl in its mouth?

"Elsie, that's enough," said Erik.

"But I didn't even ask a question."

"I said that's enough Elsie."

Elsie stabbed at her last sausage but didn't say anything else.

"Don't worry Enar, the dogs are really nice," said Erik.

"Yes, yes I'm sure they are. It's just..." He shoved some beans into his mouth, chewed, and swallowed. "I'm a little nervous around really big dogs, you know." And around small dogs and medium size dogs and dogs that bark and dogs with huge slavering jaws and really sharp teeth. "I'm sure it will be fine. Everyone else around here has been very nice to me. I'm sure the dogs will be too." He tried a little laugh.

"Well my friend," said Rolf. "You can at least come along and have a look. If the dog's too big for you, maybe there's a smaller one that'll do better. If not, we'll have to think of something else to do for you. Beired wants us all out of the burrow today so you can't stay here."

"No, no," Enar hurried to say. "There's no need for that. I don't want to be any hassle." He also didn't want to be anywhere near a dog.

"That's a good man," said Rolf and laughed. "It'll be grand. You'll see."

Enar nodded and ate in silence for a bit. They might have a smaller dog for him. It might not be that bad - as long as it didn't bark. Yeah, and maybe it would have wings and fly too.

He should have stayed home.

Questions - Chapter 16

These questions are meant to be answered from memory, based on your first impressions of the chapter. Please do not check back or re-read the chapter before answering.

These questions aren't meant to test if you've paid attention, they're meant to test what kind of impression the story has made on you. As such, any answer is a good answer. If your answer doesn't match with my intention for the story, then it's the fault of my writing, not your fault for not picking up on everything.

Please also bear in mind that some questions may be referring to things mentioned in previous chapters.

Do you feel that this chapter furthered the story, or could it have been skipped, completely or in parts?

Was something in this chapter unclear? If so, was it in a negative or in a positive way?

Again, there's loads of conversation. Are you able to keep track of who's talking? If not, where is it unclear?

How do you now feel about Rolf?

Will Enar be going to the hill with some dog, or will he find a way to get out of it?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18 0 6
Hawk's saves you from a near death experience and you become inseparable, leading to an unexpected twist in the story of your life. DISCLAIMER- I ha...
14.2K 324 18
If the book is found to be unsatisfactory, we request for a peaceful leave as we would like for this book to remain toxic free and be absent of any r...
428 62 18
✧ Note: THIS IS AN ORIGINAL WORK! Some chapters may include strong language and voilence. Also, NO ROMANCE so ya'll can chop chop if you are expect...