A Losing Game

Galing kay morrisondauthor

Raised in the tough foster care system of East Side Calhoun Heights, Maryland, Roderick Payne never had it ea... Higit pa

Characters
"Exiting Cell #256C"
"Anniversary Asunder"
"The Other Side"
"Regrets & Major Debts"
"Deals & Major Obligations"
"Reverse Redemption"
"Eighteen Candles"
"Consequence"
"Five-Letter Word"
"Moonlight Desires"
"Stay with Me"
"Thriller"
"Knowledge of Good & Evil"
"What Is Love?"
"The Warmonger Within"
"The Secret of Yesteryear"
"Comes to Light (Everything)"
"Definitively Vague"
"Unusually Familiar"
"Heat"
"The Score - Part II"
"Come Back to Me"
"Bigger Than Any One of Us"
"Icy Colors Change"
"To New Beginnings"
"Moody's Mood for Love" - Part 1
"Moody's Mood for Love" - Part 2
"Sky's the Limit"
"Love Changes"

"The Score - Part I"

2.2K 100 95
Galing kay morrisondauthor

            While most of his extended family lived in New York, Don Don was raised on the eastside streets of Calhoun Heights by his mother, his grandmother, and his six older sisters. Without a steady father figure in his life, he turned to the streets for male guidance and learned how to make money selling drugs by Escobar. His family knew what he did for a living but didn't interfere because he took care of them. The love of his life, Angelique, also knew what he did but her past with him was very complicated. In her past life, she was known as Antwan and Don Don was her worst nightmare in high school.

            Five years after dropping out of high school, Don Don was in a club on a humid summer night when he saw a beautiful woman who looked familiar. He knew that he knew her but couldn't remember where from. As she was leaving with a friend, he approached her outside of the club and was surprised when she got an attitude with him. He had absolutely no idea who she was or why she was so angry with him.

            "Whatever I did," he said while looking into her eyes. "I'm sorry."

            She stared at him in silence for a few seconds and reminded him, "Ou frape mwen konsa difisil, mwen pedi yon dan."

            "You lost a tooth because of me?" He thought about what she'd said in Haitian Creole and suddenly, his eyes widened. "Antwan?"

            "The name is Angelique, you bum! Fuck you, Donovan!" She quickly turned to walk away from him and catch up with her friend who had walked away.

            "Yo, hold up. Wait." He gently grabbed her wrist, causing her to turn back to face him. "Antw...Angelique, is that really you?"

            She pushed her hair out of her face and replied, "Like you fucking care."

            "I know it won't mean shit but I really am sorry. I'm not gonna lie and act like I'm a different nigga now. And I'm not gonna stand here and act like I'm not lookin' at the most beautiful woman I've ever laid eyes on in my life. I saw you inside and you took my breath away."

            "I swear you sound like every fuck boy into girls like me when we're not noticeable. Just leave me alone, Donovan."

            "One ride."

            "What?"

            "Take a ride with me and if I can't convince you to give me a chance, I'll give you a thousand dollars and a ride home."

            She gave him a look and asked, "Boy, you've lost your mind."

            "Three thousand dollars good enough?" He pulled a roll of money from his back pocket and showed it to her.

            Her demeanor changed and she warned him, "I carry mace and a switchblade on me so don't even think about trying anything."

            "I swear on my Grann I won't hurt you. I would never put my hands on an angel. Had I known you were one back in high school, I would've loved on you instead of doin' what I did."

            With her hand in her tote bag holding onto her switchblade, Angelique followed him to his car. He opened the door for her and closed it once she was inside. She reached over and unlocked his door for him and he smiled while climbing in. During their hours-long drive around the city, he explained to her his attraction to her femininity during their high school years fueled his anger towards her; that he was really fighting the attraction. In return, he listened to all of the hurt he caused her. By the time he was dropping her off at home, they were on each other like two lovers and neither understood in that moment. He did keep his word and paid her the three thousand dollars.

            Now in the present, Don Don finished smoking a blunt and entered an old abandoned warehouse on the southside that he often conducted business at with his southside associates. He ascended a flight of steel steps to an old office where his associates had placed Jacory. He smiled as he looked at Jacory, who was tied to a swivel chair with a black bandana tied around his head to blind him.

            "Whoever is there," said Jacory, "I didn't see the way here because of this bandana. So, killing me is unnecessary and it's gonna do nothing but piss Rod off."

            Don Don snatched the bandana off and said, "Shut the fuck up."

            Jacory got a good look at him and asked angrily, "You? Wow, of all the people that could be behind this and it's you."

            "I said shut the fuck up before I put somethin' else in your mouth to keep it shut."

            Jacory laughed and said, "Like that little stank dick between your legs would fucking fit!"

            Don Don pulled his pistol out and put it in Jacory's face and said, "I think this would fit just nicely, bitch. Now, where the fuck is Rod?"

            "I don't know."

            "Man, you must have me confused with a nigga who won't kill a faggot without thinkin' about it. Where the fuck is that nigga?"

            "You must have me confused with that nasty high yellow boyfriend of his. Nigga, I said I don't fucking know! All I was doing was dropping a Christmas present off to Rod for helping me with something last week when all of a sudden, your musty ass gang of hoodlums put their guns in my face and made me get in that raggedy ass Navigator. You need to tell them to wash their asses and wear deodorant because that ride was not cool. It's winter and it ain't like you can roll the fucking window down with the heat on in the car."

            Don Don laughed a little and said, "Yo, you a clown for real. But I ain't got much use for you alive if you don't know where Rod is." He noticed how at ease Jacory was with the gun in his face and asked, "Damn, ain't you gonna cry or at least beg for your life?"

            "That's a nice Glock but that brand kicks back like a bitch. Those idiot henchmen of yours didn't even tie my legs up. Even this close, I can kick you in your nuts and flip this chair over before you can probably shoot me. I can definitely do all that since you forgot to turn the damn safety off."

            Don Don looked at the gun and then said, "Damn, I'm actually impressed. One of Rod's bitches fucked some niggas up a couple of months ago and you, his other bitch, knows all about guns. I might have underestimated that nigga."

            "First of all, I'm not Rod's bitch. Second, you are definitely underestimating him if you think kidnapping me is a good idea. It might seem like you have this shit figured out but Roderick is always twelve or more steps ahead."

            "Good, I hope he is. I want him to come here so we can finally put an end to this shit." He pulled Jacory's phone from his pocket and told him, "I'm gonna untie you and you're gonna use your phone to call Rod."

            "And if I don't?"

            Don Don smiled again and said, "I notice you got a few bruises that are healing. You got in a fight with another faggot or what?"

            "You could say that."

            "Well, do you think you'll just have a few bruises when me and my niggas stomp your bitch ass out? You got a cute face and some pretty eyes but I can change that if you want me to, shorty."

            Jacory stared into his eyes and smiled while saying, "Mmm, I bet you could."

            "You think I'm playin'? You want me to open that door and call them up here?"

            "I don't think you really want to do that. I think you want me all to yourself up here."

            "What?"

            "Don Don, it's just us in here. There's no need to put up a front. You must think that I forgot or something."

            "Forgot what? What the fuck is you talkin' about?"

            "That day you caught Rod and me in his old bando. You know what I'm talking about. You were peeking through the door. I saw you standing there for a good while out the corner of my eye. Maybe you didn't notice that I noticed you. I mean, I was riding the life out of Rod's dick so maybe your focus was on that instead."

            "You don't know what you saw."

            "Oh, we're doing that? Okay, you're right. You probably weren't standing out there feeling on your hard dick while watching my tight wet asshole go up and down on Roderick's big dick. I had him moaning so loud that day." He licked his lips and continued, "I know how to work my shit. My grip is out of this world, baby. How big is that Haitian dick? Mmm, I bet it's uncut and tasty."

            Don Don shook his head and looked down to see his dick had gotten stiff and was tenting his jeans. When Jacory noticed it, Don Don became angry and aimed the gun back at Jacory's head, telling him, "I ain't no fuckin' faggot! So, shut the fuck up!"

            He quickly picked the bandana back up and this time used it to gag Jacory's mouth. He then turned away from Jacory and thought about different random things to make his erection go away. Once it did go away, he stormed out of the old office and hurried back outside to get some air.

            Meanwhile, Roderick checked his phone for the time and then texted Escobar, asking him if Don Don was with him. When Escobar texted back that he hadn't seen Don Don since earlier that day, Roderick became anxious. He stood up from the chair he was sitting in and told his boys, "I'm gonna go for a drive. Keep everything cool in here. And if she gotta go to the bathroom, don't be fuckin' stupid about it. Give her some privacy and then when she's done, tie her ass back up."

            "Got it, big dawg," said JD. He looked at Angelique and smiled while saying, "I'll make sure these two knuckleheads won't make her feel uncomfortable."

            Roderick exited the motel room and quickly hurried down the set of steps and out to his car. He suddenly remembered that both Reece and Jacory had called him. After starting his car and turning on the heat, he called Reece back but Reece didn't answer. He then called Jacory but Jacory didn't answer either. Not thinking anything of it, he backed out of the parking space and drove out of the motel parking lot.

            Carefully, he drove past the street that the stash house was on and when he didn't see the Lincoln Navigator that JD had told him about, he turned around and entered the street the stash house was on. He parked his car out front and climbed out. When he noticed that everything was normal, he proceeded up to the porch of the house and that is when he saw the gift bag and the Burberry scarf he'd bought Jacory back when they were together. He picked them up and then used his key to unlock the door. After getting some money from the safe, he left the house, locked the door, and hurried back out to his car to leave.

            "I'll fuckin' kill you, Don Don," he said to himself while starting the car back up and speeding off up the street. "I swear to God I'll fuckin' kill you if you hurt Jacory!"

            Not far from the streets Roderick was speeding through, Nate pulled up to Tayvon's house and parked his Mustang before turning it off. He then looked at Tayvon and said, "Thanks, man."

            "For what?" Tayvon asked. "Givin' you some head?"

            "For today. Thanks for the Taco Bell at my lunch break. Thanks for hangin' around the mall until I got off. Thanks for the foot massage. And yeah, thanks for the head. You're the only person not stressin' me out lately. Thank you."

            "I should be the one thanking you. You could've easily ignored my horny ass all this time. I know I can't replace Jacory and I'm not even gonna—"

            Nate interrupted him by leaning over and kissing his lips. They French kissed for a short while before Nate pulled back and suggested, "How about we catch a movie this Friday night and get something to eat?"

            Tayvon smiled and asked, "A date? Wow, I wasn't expecting that. Okay, I'm down but only if you let me pay. I owe you since I didn't get you anything for your birthday."

            "Cool." He kissed Tayvon again and then looked behind him and laughed a little, saying, "Uh-oh, your twin is waiting on you."

            Tayvon looked back and sighed before saying, "Story of my fuckin' life, bro. I'll see you later."

            "Later." He watched as Tayvon climbed out of the car and headed into the house before starting his car back up and driving away.

            "I don't wanna hear it, Zay," said Tayvon while heading upstairs.

            Zayvon closed and locked the door before following his brother upstairs and asked, "Why were you with Nate? He just gave you a ride or somethin'?"

            "Yo, get out my room, man."

            "Not until you tell me what's goin' on. Y'all together now that him and Jacory are over?"

            "You wanna know everything? Okay, bet. I spent all day at the mall with him. I went to his house with him and gave him a foot massage and some head while his parents were home. We then chilled in his room and listened to music and just vibed together. Then, he drove me home. Now, can you please leave my fuckin' room so I can play some 2K?"

            "You're really doin' this, aren't you?"

            "Zay, I really ain't in the mood for this shit. The nigga ain't with Jacory anymore. I mean, Jacory almost fuckin' killed him so I know they ain't gettin' back together. Besides, Rod been iggin' Reece for a while now so I know it's only a matter of time before he gets back with his precious Mookie."

            "You really care about Nate, don't you?"

            "I been tryin' to tell you that." He sat down on his bed and took off his shoes.

            Zayvon leaned against the door and admitted, "I think you're trash for doin' that shit with him while he was still with Jacory. So, I'm not all the way cool with it."

            "I think you're trash every time you wear my shit without askin' me if I'm cool with it."

            "You do the same thing to me, nigga! Anyway, I guess on some level I understand what it's like to have uncontrollable feelings for somebody. Nate and Jacory are over now so I guess I can stop trippin' and just accept the fact that you're happy. Still, I don't respect Nate. And he better know that if he wants to fight you then he's gonna have to fight both of us. We don't do that one-on-one shit when it comes to fights, Tay."

            "I know."

            "Alright, just had to speak on that. But yeah, I won't talk my shit anymore. Just keep the nigga away from Demetrius and any of Jacory's other friends. And you definitely gotta keep him away from Rod. That means when we're all goin' somewhere, you and Nate need to do your own thing. That nigga will never be accepted by us."

            "Okay."

            "Alright, cool." He shook his head as he asked, "You and Nate? Damn, these final months of high school are really gonna be somethin' else." He shook his head while leaving Tayvon's room.

            Tayvon smiled and agreed to himself, "Yeah, they are."

            Meanwhile, Roderick tried to keep himself together as he repeatedly called Jacory's phone, only for it to ring and go to voicemail each time. He wouldn't let his mind go to the worst thought because he knew that if he panicked, whatever the worst thought was would become reality. When he made it back to the motel room, he snatched the gag out of Angelique's mouth and stared at her.

            "What?" she asked with a frightened look on her face.

            "Where are all the places Don Don conducts business at on the southside?" he asked her.

            "I...I don't know."

            "Don't fuck with me. I know you know what he does."

            "I know he sells drugs but I don't know anything beyond that. He doesn't talk to me about that part of his life. All I know is the apartment we spend time together in."

            "What's goin' on, Rod?" Nard asked.

            "Don Don has Jacory, man. He's fuckin' got Jacory! I think Jacory tried to bring me a Christmas gift and he don't know where my brother's place is so he brought it to the fuckin' trap. I know Don Don has him. I just don't know where."

            "Don't even worry about it, dawg," said Trek while standing up. "We've been followin' Don Don's crew all around this city and we know some of the spots they meet up at on the southside. Me and Nard will go check out some of the spots and if we see somethin', we'll hit you up."

            "Thanks, man," Roderick said. "I appreciate it." After watching them leave the motel room, he looked at Angelique and asked, "Why are you with a nigga like Don Don? How did you two even meet?"

            "He's good to me now," she explained. "I've known him for a very long time. Before my...transition, he used to treat me like shit and he even beat my ass."

            "Damn, that's fucked up," said JD.

            "He reacted violently to his complex sexuality. I'd always been very feminine and he liked me but didn't want to admit to himself that he liked me until years later when he saw me as I am now. I haven't fully forgiven him but I do love him."

            "You ain't worried that he might go upside your head again?" JD asked her.

            She looked at him and replied, "I know he won't. He's never even raised his voice at me since we've been together." Tears began to fill her eyes as she continued, "He cooks for me and pays all of my bills, even though I have a job. He's been saving money because he says I deserve to live in one of them big houses up in Harrow Pointe. Sometimes, we ride through those neighborhoods up there where all the doctors and lawyers live. I can't even imagine what it's like to live in such a beautiful place. But anywhere is home as long as I'm with Donovan."

            Roderick looked at her and explained, "He might mean the world to you and he might even treat you like a queen, but that nigga doesn't have a heart. If he does anything to Jacory, he won't have a life either. You'll be among his family members at his fuckin' funeral." He backed away from her and told JD, "Keep an eye on her and don't gag her unless she tries to scream. And don't try anything stupid, man. I'm just gonna be down in my car."

            "Rod, I ain't Trek or Nard," said JD. "Besides, I don't put my hands on women and I ain't a perv."

            Roderick nodded and then stepped back out of the room.

            "So, you got any friends who are as fine as you?" JD asked Angelique, causing her to roll her eyes.

            Down in his car, Roderick softly rubbed Jacory's Burberry scarf on the side of his face and smelled Jacory's fresh scent on it. He'd bought Jacory that scarf the last Christmas they spent together before everything fell apart and Roderick got locked up. Now, it was another Christmas and not only was he spending it without Jacory, there was a possibility that he might never see Jacory alive again. When he put the scarf down and picked up the gift bag that Jacory had tried to give him, he first read the tag attached to the bag.

            "To Rod," he read aloud. "Thank you for seeing me."

            When he opened the Macy's bag and saw a Polo Ralph Lauren outfit consisting of a pair of navy blue fleece pants and a white Polo Ralph Lauren V-neck t-shirt, tears formed in his eyes because Jacory's last Christmas gift to him was a navy blue Polo Ralph Lauren full-zip hoodie and it was his favorite thing to wear. Now he had a full outfit to wear with the hoodie and it all matched. He put the gift bag and Jacory's scarf on the backseat and then wiped his tears and pulled out his phone. After pulling himself together, he called Escobar.

            "What's good, Rod?" Escobar asked after answering the call.

            "Listen," said Roderick before pausing for a second. "I need to explain some shit to you and I need you to believe me."

            "A'ight, what's goin' on, youngin'?"

            "Some shit is about to go down tonight and it's a matter of life and death. Remember when I told you I always got your back?"

            "Yeah."

            "Well, tonight, I'm gonna need you to have mine."

            Back on the southside, Don Don tried to call Angelique but her phone kept going straight to voicemail. After telling himself that she was probably out with her friends, he finished smoking his second blunt and went back into the old warehouse. His boys were busy playing a card game so he went back up to the old office where Jacory was still tied up and gagged.

            "I ain't a faggot," he said to Jacory. "Never have been and never will be. If you call me one, I will put a bullet between your eyes. You got that?"

            Jacory nodded without attempting to make any noises.

            "I've been thinkin' and maybe I don't have to kill Rod. Maybe I can talk him into leavin' Calhoun Heights. If I give you my word that I won't kill him, will you unlock your phone and call him?"

            Jacory thought about it for a second and then shook his head no.

            Don Don became angry again and shouted, "Bitch, I don't wanna fuckin' hurt you! You're gonna make me hurt you and I don't wanna do that shit! I'm tryin' to keep my composure and not crack your shit but you're fuckin' tryin' me, yo!" He calmed himself again and then moved closer to Jacory and finally removed the gag. While staring into Jacory's eyes, he offered, "I give you my word, I won't kill him."

            "You're a snake," Jacory told him. "I'm not unlocking the phone and I'm not calling Rod. If you have to hit me, go ahead. I can take a hit. If you have to kill me..." He became emotional and continued, "...fine. I would rather die than to let anything else bad happen to Roderick. After what he's been through; I'd rather him live a long life, even without me in it."

            "If you and him love each other so much, then why is he with that other lil' faggot bitch?"

            Jacory rolled his eyes and replied, "Reece may love Rod but Rod does not love Reece. Do you even know what it's like to love somebody?"

            "This ain't about me. Now—"

            "There is a special woman in your life, isn't there? I bet she's beautiful." When Don Don didn't say anything, Jacory smiled and asked, "How would you feel if you learned her life was in danger? Would you do anything to save her? Huh? Because while it might have been stupid, Rod got with Reece to save my life. He didn't care if Reece got caught up in his mess, which did eventually happen because your boys beat the living shit out of both of them. But he did everything he could to keep that from ever happening to me, which so far worked until I took my dumbass to that trap house tonight."

            "What's your point?"

            "My point is that once you reach the point that you're willing to sacrifice everything; even your life for somebody, the entire definition of love changes into something unbreakable. It's crazy that it's taken all of this for me to even realize how deep Rod's love runs for me. Shit, I may never see him again and all I can think about is how much I love that boy. I'd give anything to see his smile or hear him say my name one last time. Do you understand what I'm saying to you?"

            Don Don began thinking about Angelique again and successfully managed to fight back tears as he told Jacory, "I love my Angel. I'd die for her. I understand what you mean. But at the same time—"

            Jacory's phone began ringing and interrupted what Don Don was about to say. Jacory admitted, "It rang a few times while you were outside but since I'm tied up, I couldn't answer. I think it's Rod."

            Don Don immediately picked up the phone and answered the call but didn't say anything.

            "Mookie?" Roderick asked on the other end. "Mookie, where are you?"

            "This ain't no fuckin' Mookie," said Don Don. "But he's here though."

            "I'm okay, Rod," Jacory called out. "The only bruises on me are the ones I still have from what Nate did last week."

            "I can change all that though," Don Don said to Roderick. "We got some shit to handle, Black."

            "Yeah, we do. But first, I need you to understand that I got somebody worth somethin' to you, too." He put the phone up to Angelique and told her, "It's your man."

            "Donovan, don't do anything stupid," said Angelique. "They have guns."

            Don Don became upset but kept his composure as he asked, "Did they hurt you, baby?"

            "No. I'm fine, baby. I just—"

            Roderick took the phone from her and told Don Don, "Where do you wanna do this, bruh? Because it looks like whateva plans you had are done."

            "Put Angel back on the phone."

            "No."

            "Nigga, I will—"

            "Do what? Huh, nigga? You wanna get this bitch killed? I don't wanna kill her but I will if you make me. Do not fuck with me, Don Don! I will shoot this bitch dead in her forehead, mothafucka!"

            "Calm yo ass down! Don't you do anything to her! You hear me?"

            "Name the fuckin' place, bruh."

            Don Don began shaking as he explained, "There's an old warehouse off of the South Calhoun Expressway. It's on Steel-Clemmons Road. It's off to itself so you'll know it when you see it."

            "A'ight. You need to get rid of your crew. I'm gonna show up there with your girl and nobody else. We do an exchange and then we walk away and settle this shit another time. Deal?"

            Don Don thought about it and then said, "Deal."

            "Don't try anything dumb, man. Because if you do, then we both might lose important people in our lives. And if that happens, then neither of us won't have shit to lose and one of us ain't gonna make it out of there alive."

            "As long as you don't hurt Angel, I won't hurt Jacory. You have my word, bruh. Just don't do anything to my Angel. I'm beggin' you." When the call ended, he began crying while asking, "Hello? Hello? Angel?! Fuck!"

            "He won't hurt her," Jacory assured him. "As long as you don't hurt me, Rod won't hurt her."

            "You better hope he doesn't. Because if he does, tonight will truly be the last night of your life, man."

            As Don Don stormed out of the office again, Jacory finally let his guard down and began to cry. Different parts of his life began to flash before his eyes, such as Marcus reading a book to him when he was little and him and Montrell dancing to an Al Green song with his Aunt Eileen when he was ten. He thought about some of the times he spent with Roderick. He kept telling himself that he'd see Roderick again and that everything would work out. All he had in that moment was his hope and his faith.

Ipagpatuloy ang Pagbabasa

Magugustuhan mo rin

15.4K 826 28
In this vibrant city where dreams and danger collide, King and Reign's worlds intertwine. King, a rising basketball star escaping a tumultuous past...
7K 494 15
Cade Stillwater has a lot to learn about the real world. The privileged rich boy gets caught up in the wrong mess, landing him in jail. His parents b...
78.7K 6.1K 54
Robin doesn't want to be a tutor. Tyler doesn't want to be tutored. So why are their tutoring sessions always running late? *** After an illness-stri...
125K 225 2
After losing his parents and being abused, Thomas is learning how to enjoy his life again - something he thought was impossible for him, but then he...