Love Bites (Rewrite)

By mcandr1

If there is one thing that always bites it's falling in love. Rebecca Cross is an ordinary high school girl w... More

Chapter 1: The First Drop
Chapter 2: Throbbing Recognition
Chapter 3: So, Vampires Are a Thing
Chapter 4: A Day in the Life of a Vampire
Chapter 5: That Escalated Quickly
Chapter 6: An Agreement
Chapter 7: Natural Curiosity
Chapter 8: Beyond the Shadow of Doubt
Chapter 9: Obey or Else
Chapter 10: Scars
Chapter 11: Blood Bonds
Chapter 12: Strictly Professional
Chapter 13: A Friend Date
Chapter 14: To Be Human
Chapter 15: Sensory Overload
Chapter 16: Awkward
Chapter 17: Blood Merry
Chapter 18: Human Day
Chapter 19: Friendzone
Chapter 20: Baggage
Chapter 21: Hears a Thought
Chapter 22: Honey I'm Home
Chapter 23: Negotiations
Chapter 25: Rest in Peace
Chapter 26: Love Bites

Chapter 24: Till Death Do Us Part

294 18 0
By mcandr1

Bex sat on Joan's bed and scrolled numbly through social media. She was trying to remain optimistic. If anyone could fix this it was Lyssa. Right? Her stomach turned with each passing minute. It didn't help that she could feel Lyssa's emotions.

Lyssa was afraid, a deep fear that wouldn't just go away by facing it. More than that Bex could feel how sad Lyssa was, the kind of sadness that was so strong it turned into anger and regret. She only heard Lyssa's thoughts when the vampire let her.

To Bex's surprise, she and Lyssa learned how to control the thoughts part of their bond in less than a day. It was easy to Bex, just like putting up a curtain in your brain. If she didn't want Lyssa to hear, then Lyssa couldn't hear.

Which turned out to be a great relief. She was afraid this whole hearing her thoughts thing would be the straw that broke the camel's back. Luckily, she was starting to get a real handle on this blood bond stuff. Either that or the bond wasn't strong enough to the point where she would hear Lyssa's thoughts 24/7. She didn't want to think of that possibility though, for now, she was happy with the thought that she had a handle on the situation.

Well, one situation at least. She sighed and set her phone down. She was worried sick about Lyssa. She knew Lyssa was strong, but that Lacy girl handled her like nothing. She didn't want Lyssa to get hurt. She just wanted this whole nightmare to be over with so she could go back to her normal-ish life with her vampire master nagging her all the time.

"Stop worrying," Joan chastised her.

"I can't! What if she can't handle it on her own? What if she gets hurt, or worse... god, I just want this nightmare to be over," Bex ran her hands down her face.

Her voice was raspy and harsh sounding, being as her throat was now really bruised as she was almost choked to death. Her eyes were bloodshot from said choking and she felt exhausted even though it was still fairly early in the day.

"Do you really love her? You know like death do us part love?" Joan asked.

Joan's hair was braided per usual, her braid resting over her shoulder. She was sitting on the floor cleaning her stakes with a wet rag and a bucket. She had on a denim jacket and army style pants that were tucked into her combat boots. Her back was to Bex, but she could make out Bex's reflection on the Tv screen.

"I don't know... I guess I was being dramatic, but I really do care about her, a lot. She's grown on me. You know? I just... I want a chance for us. I feel like we just barely found each other, that this could really go somewhere special. It's a weird feeling, I mean before a few weeks ago romance wasn't even on my mind. To be honest a romantic relationship always felt so scary to me. It was like this big deal and I was just afraid to even try. Now..." Bex trailed off.

"Now?" Joan turned to look at her.

"Now I just feel sick to my stomach that something might happen to her. Now she's all I can think about. Even when we aren't together, we are. This bond between us, I used to think it meant nothing. That it was just Lyssa's personal dinner bell. But now I know it is so much more than that. It's a real bond, I feel her Joan. In my heart, in my head, I feel her all the time. It's beautiful, to be able to feel and understand someone on this level. I'm not sure many people on this earth can say they have felt what I am feeling now. We are connected and I don't want to lose that."

Joan sighed and went back to her work, pushing her clunky glasses up the bridge of her nose. She tried her best to hold her tears in. It hurt her to see the girl she loved, be in love with someone else. A vampire to add insult to injury. Then Joan had a selfish thought, one she immediately felt guilty for having. For a moment, she wished that the other vampires would kill Lyssa, so she wouldn't have to watch Bex be with her. She quickly pushed the thought away and continued her work.

"Can I ask you something?" Bex got off the bed and sat next to Joan.

"Always," Joan forced a smile.

"Why does your family hate vampires so much?"

"They killed my aunt," Joan looked away.

Bex's eyes went wide and there was a moment of silence.

"But you said your aunt died in a car accident."

"It was a cover story. When I was just five my parents took me to this church retreat thing, my mom loved going to those things. My dad invited his brother, my uncle, and his wife, my aunt. It was like a thing where all the church families could come together. The moms could gossip, the kids could play, the dads grilled out. Just supposed to be one of those happy moments," she paused to set the stake she was working on down by her side.

Bex put a reassuring hand on Joan's thigh. Joan grabbed it and interlocked their fingers.

"What my family didn't know was that the head of the church was part of a group of vampire slayers. That night, as everyone was getting ready to leave, our group volunteered to stay late and help clean up. A pack of vampires showed up. They were retaliating because the vampire slayers had killed one of their own. They attacked us. They killed all the slayers, except the head slayer. To punish him, they made him and my family watch as he drank every last drop of blood from my aunt. Then he took me and nearly killed me too. I was just a kid, but I'll never forget it. From that day on my dad, and my uncle raised me and my brother to be vampire slayers. We learned everything there is to know about how to kill a vampire. After vampires killed the head of our slayer guild a few years ago, my dad became the new leader. That's why we hate vampires so much. Because they took my aunt from me. They almost killed me," She squeezed Bex's hand.

Bex squeezed back.

"That's why I can never trust Lyssa. I can never approve of your relationship with her. Seeing you with her makes me so afraid. Especially today when you were nearly killed, it was like I saw the death of my aunt all over again. I knew I had to save you, I don't want what happened to my aunt to happen to you or anyone else ever again. I know I can't change your mind about her, but please Rebecca, don't let her fool you. She's a monster. She'll get you killed," Joan was crying now.

Bex had tears in her eyes. She didn't really know what to say to any of that, so she just embraced her friend in her arms.

"I am so sorry that happened to you," Bex said.

Joan just held her tightly.

Bex rubbed Joan's back to soothe her but her eyes were drawn to the bloody stake on the floor. She didn't know where the line was drawn between what makes someone a monster and what doesn't, in fact, she didn't even think there was a line. Joan may think that Lyssa is a monster, but Bex knew for a fact Lyssa thought the same thing about her.

You didn't have to be a vampire to be a monster, humans could be monsters much scarier than any "actual" monster. Bex knew Joan had a reason to feel this way but that didn't make the idea of Joan taking on vampire kind any more comforting.

Bex made a silent promise to herself that she would never let her friend turn into a monster. She would always be there to pull her back from the precipice. Whether Joan liked it or not.

Now that Lacy was clean and dressed, Lyssa grabbed her by the arm and dragged her to the school where she waited on the roof.

"What makes you think he will come here?" Lacy raised an eyebrow.

"He's lurking, I know he is. He has no choice but to lurk and hope you show up. Unless you told him where I live?" Lyssa eyed her.

"I'd never," Lacy scoffed.

Lyssa rolled her eyes.

"Then he will come. Keep an eye out. I know he is nearby," Lyssa glanced around the school grounds.

Thorndale High was still in session and lunch was nearly upon them, Lyssa wanted this to be over before then. She could feel Bex's worry, it made her want to go to her and reassure her she was fine. She resisted; she couldn't go to Rebecca until this was all over.

"Can't you call him or something?" Lyssa turned to Lacy.

"And why would I want to do that? I told you, Val, I don't want to go with him," she crossed her arms.

"Just as stubborn as ever," Lyssa rolled her eyes.

"I learned it from the best," Lacy teased.

Lyssa scoffed to herself.

Lacy was about to say something when a blur came at Lyssa full force, knocking her clear off the roof.

"Was that really necessary?" Lacy asked the vampire who now stood in front of her.

"It made me feel better," He shrugged.

McKinley was American, unlike Lyssa and Lacy. He wasn't that old compared to most vampires, being as he was only turned in the late 1950's. He has charisma and was able to adapt to the vampire lifestyle very quickly. True he dressed and acted very much like a frat boy from the '50s, but his good looks made up for his bad behavior. At least he thought so.

"I am not going back with you," Lacy stuck up her nose.

Lyssa appeared next to Lacy, she had a scowl on her face and dusted herself off. If there was a single person she loathed most on this earth, it was McKinley Foster. She hated him with every fiber in her body. Not only because he stole Lacy away from her 20 years ago, but also because of how he acted. He has an arrogant attitude. Very ill-mannered, more animal than man, at least Lyssa thought so. She hated him; it was as simple as that.

"Do that again and I'll rip your throat out," Lyssa spat at him.

"Valyssa, not nice to see you, hope you are doing terrible," He smirked at her.

"I'll never understand what you see in this animal," Lyssa spat.

"It's called true love. You would know about it if you still had a heart old bag," He snorted in amusement.

"I don't love you McKinley, and I am not going back," Lacy interjected

"Yes, you are!" Lyssa and McKinley said in unison.

They eyed each other.

"No, I'm not. You can't make me. It's over McKinley, I mean it this time. I have had enough. I think I'll leave the pack as well and stay here with my darling Val," Lacy draped herself over Lyssa.

"You can't just leave the pack," He growled.

"You can't stay here," Lyssa pulled away from Lacy.

Lacy glared at the both of them.

"Who's going to stop me? You two?"

"I won't let you stay here," Lyssa said.

"I won't hurt your precious Rebecca."

"I don't believe you."

"You are my wife; you can't just dump me. That is not how marriage works," McKinley crossed his arms.

"I am not leaving and that is final!" Lacy stamped her foot down.

"Yes you are!" they once again said in unison.

"Just take her and get out of here," Lyssa said to McKinley.

"My pleasure," He smirked.

"Don't you dare touch me."

He ignored her and went to scoop her up.

Lacy was having none of it. She punched him so hard he flew off the roof. Lyssa turned to stop her, but she wasn't fast enough as Lacy ran off. Lyssa chased her but quickly lost her tail.

"Damn it," she cursed under her breath.

Before she could turn around McKinley was on her. He punched Lyssa so hard in the back she went flying into a tree which broke in half on impact.

"This is all your fault!" he spat at her.

Lyssa coughed and struggled to her feet.

"Just die already!" he shouted.

Lyssa wasn't fast enough to dodge him as he once again punched her and sent her flying.

Bex doubled over in front of Joan and cried out in pain.

"What's wrong?" Joan asked.

"It's Lyssa, she's hurt," Bex grunted.

Lyssa once again struggled to her feet.

"If I can't have her, then she can't have you," McKinley walked over to her.

He grabbed Lyssa by the hair and forced her to her feet. She coughed and dark brownish blood sputtered past her lips. He went in for another punch, but Lyssa caught his fist this time, her legs sliding back upon impact.

Lyssa wasn't nearly as strong as other vampires, a fact she knew. It was because she refused to rest in her coffin. If she did her body would rejuvenate and heal up, but since she didn't her body was weak and fragile. Nothing compared to McKinley's muscular physique.

She countered his punch with one of her own, sending him stumbling back. She tried to run but he was faster, he grabbed her and slammed her to the ground. Lyssa cried out in pain as more blood spewed from her lips.

Bex also cried out in pain, finding it impossible to stand she crumbled to the floor.

"We have to help her, they're killing her!" Bex cried out.

Joan grabbed her stake off the floor and jammed a knife in her boot before helping Bex off the floor. This was her moment; this was what she had been training to do nearly her entire life.

Lacy watched from a distance as McKinley beat Lyssa to a pulp. She smirked to herself. Then she skipped over to her husband and watched as he threw Lyssa like a rag doll into yet another tree.

"That's enough. I think you've proven your worth to me," Lacy said.

He turned to her and quickly walked over to her.

"I will always prove myself, " He grabbed her hands in his.

"Fine, I forgive you," she kissed him.

Lyssa struggled to her feet, her rage bursting to get out. She had been played, again. She knew she should drop it. The battle was over and restarting it now would only ruin the chances of Lacy leaving, but as her eyes turned red and her anger began to take over she couldn't stop herself.

She grabbed a splintered branch off the floor and charged at McKinley. He was knocked to the ground when she stabbed the branch into his chest. Her red eyes glowed with fury. No words could describe the anger she felt.

"Stop it!" Lacy shouted.

Lyssa grabbed McKinley by the hair and shoved his face hard into the ground over and over and over.

"I said enough!" Lacy pushed Lyssa so hard she fell on her butt.

"I hate you! I hate both of you, get out! Get out of this town and never come back!" Lyssa hissed.

"Oh Val, we'll leave, but you are coming with us," Lacy walked over to her.

"The hell I am," Lyssa struggled to her feet.

"You have no choice; the pack requests your presence," She grabbed Lyssa by the arm and twisted it so hard it broke.

Lyssa cried out.

"You do this to yourself Val if you would just rest like you are supposed to you wouldn't be this fragile, almost like a human."

"Leave her alone!" Bex shouted.

Lyssa's ears perked up and her headshot to Bex and Joan.

Joan gave Lyssa an apologetic look, one that said, I couldn't stop her.

"Ah Rebecca, right on time," Lacy smirked.

McKinley grunted and got to his feet. His face now covered in dirt; A stick jutting out from his chest. His sweater vest was now covered in blood.

"Don't hurt her," Lyssa begged.

"Shut your pathetic mouth," McKinley slapped her so hard she fell to the floor, landing on her broken arm. Lyssa once again cried out at the same time Bex did.

"This is what happens when you deny me, Val, you were right, I can't control myself."

Lacy was in front of Bex in a flash.

Joan jumped in the way but Lacy was having none of it. She wanted payback. She grabbed the stake from Joan's hands and jammed it right into the Slayer's shoulder. Joan let out a sharp cry before crumbling to the floor.

"Doesn't feel so good does it?" Lacy mocked her.

"Joan!" Bex cried out.

"Now, where was I?" Lacy turned to Bex.

Bex stared at her in fear.

Lyssa got up. McKinley was ready for her, but Lyssa was done playing fair. With as much power she could muster she kicked him in the groin. He yelped and fell to his knees. Then Lyssa ran to Lacy and tackled her to the floor.

"I won't let you hurt her!" She cried out.

Lacy grabbed Lyssa by the throat and flipped their position, slamming her to the ground.

"You can't stop me," Lacy sneered.

"I'll die before I let you lay another finger on her," Lyssa choked out.

"Then die you shall." Lacy's own blue eyes turned red.

Bex ran in behind Lacy and jammed a stake right into her back. Lacy gasped in shock.

"No!" McKinley cried out.

Bex kicked Lacy off of Lyssa before pulling out a silver knife and stabbing Lacy's hand to the ground, just as Joan had instructed her to do on their way over. Lacy cried out again as the hissing sound of her burning flesh filled the air.

"Lyssa, Lyssa are you okay?" Bex helped Lyssa up.

"Are you okay? I know you felt all of that," Lyssa trembled in Bex's grasp.

"You are the one who's actually hurt!" Bex said incredulously.

"I'll be okay, I'm just glad your safe, you shouldn't have come that was very stupid of you."

"Shut up. You should know by now I always do the opposite of what you say," Bex grabbed Lyssa's face in her hands and kissed her.

Lyssa closed her eyes and pulled Bex's closer to her, wrapping her hands in Bex's shirt.

Before the two could break apart McKinley had Bex by the throat.

"You hurt her, I hurt you," he spat.

Lyssa's eyes went wide but she could do nothing as McKinley stabbed the knife he had pulled from Lacy into Bex's chest.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

197 20 12
The world of the supernatural have longed since existed alongside the world human, with the humans being ignorance of their existence. Arden is a you...
8.4K 71 27
Zoey is a young girl who's been bullied her whole life. She had one friend that she trusted deeply and revealed a secret to and that was a mistake as...
187K 11K 20
In which the popular boy attempts to use an exchange student to make his ex girlfriend jealous, but his ex ends up (fake) dating the exchange student...
46.5K 3.4K 33
Tris has a lot on her plate. Two women who equally want her; a brother with his mildly annoying girlfriend. A little girl who hates her for wanting t...