Dove on Fire (Bucky Barnes)

By SCPalmer

Clementine 'Clem' Creed was an Avenger, her ability to control and create fire has served them well, she's be... More

Flashback
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
To be continued.

Chapter one

5.3K 148 32
By SCPalmer

5 years later 

Clementine's P.O.V

Coming through the portal was scary, seeing what was left of the Avengers facility was soul-shattering but nothing will ever compare to watching Tony snap his fingers and finding out Nat was dead, they were both my family. Now it was time to return the stones back to their own timelines, Steve insisted on taking them back alone, I think I know why.

"Are you sure this is going to work Bruce?" I questioned again staring up at him, Bruce smiled back at me, his arm tightly wrapped in a sling "yeah I'm sure" he squeezed my shoulder reassuringly. I glanced over at Steve who was talking to Bucky, Steve smirked at Bucky before looking back at me, he patted Bucky on the shoulder "don't miss out on the opportunity Buck" he muttered before walking over to me.

"Remember you have to return the stones to the exact moment we got them or you're going to open up a bunch of nasty alternative realities" Bruce explained handing over the case of infinity stones to Steve "don't worry Burce, clip all the branches." 

Sam and I shared a look before shrugging "you know, I tried. When I had the gauntlet and the stones, I really tried to bring Nat back. I miss her" Bruce confessed looking at Steve and me, I placed my hand in his big green one "we do too" Bruce smiled down at me before turning back to Steve "you ready?"

"You know, If you want, I can come with you" Sam offered again as Steve grabbed the case, turning to face Sam "you're a good man, Sam. This one's on me though" he pulled Sam into a tight hug and patted his back as he pulled away. I crossed my arms over my chest as Steve turned to look at me, I raised my brows at him, he signed deeply with a small smile on his lips "I know that look" I pointed out as he stepped closer to me.

"Of course you do" he huffed out staring down at me, I glanced over at Bucky and Sam before looking back up at Steve "I'll keep an eye on them for you" I stated softly. Steve's hands rested on my arms "god, I'm gonna miss you" Steve admitted pulling me into his chest, confirming my theory "I'm gonna miss you too, you need to live the life you deserve" he pulled away, placing a kiss on my forehead. He glanced over my shoulder at Bucky "keep him out of trouble for me? you need each other" Steve whispered as I followed his gaze to see Bucky watching us.

"Don't do anything stupid till I get back" Steve called out as he approached Bucky. Bucky chuckled shaking his head "how can I? you're taking all the stupid with you" he resorted, Steve smiled as he and Bucky hugged "I'm going to miss you, buddy" Steve pulled away "It's going to be okay, Buck" with one last look at Bucky and I, Steve stepped on to the podium.

I wrapped my arms around myself as I stood close to Bucky, his arm brushing my side "how long is this going to take?" Sam asked Bruce, Steve tapped his chest, releasing the white suit to cover his body "for him? as long as he needs. For us? five seconds. You ready Cap?" Steve nodded, picking up Mjolnir. "All right, we'll meet you back here, okay?" Sam told him, Steve smiled "you bet" his helmet covered his face as Bruce began to count down, and then he was gone.

"And returning in five, four, three, two....one" 

Nothing happened.

"Where is he?" Sam panicked looking over at Bruce "I don't know, he blew right past his timestamp. He should be here" Bruce stated, frantically checking the screens. Buckys hand wrapped around mine as he pulled me to face the lake, a small smile on his lips as he looked down at me and then out at the lake. 

On the small bench facing the view was a man, his white hair stuck out against the scenery, Bucky nudged my body with his towards the bench "Is that...?" Bucky nodded. "Sam" I called out, not taking my eyes off the scenery, Sam stood next to me following my gaze. We walked towards him slowly, stopping a few feet behind the bench.

"Go ahead" Bucky told Sam, I watched as Sam took hesitated steps towards the bench where an elderly Steve sat. Bucky nudged me gently with his elbow, I turned to face him "you okay?" he asked, his baby blues searching my face. I glanced back over at Sam and Steve "absolutely" Bucky smiled down at me, I found myself lost in his gaze as I smiled back.

"It's going to be hard to live in a world without Captain America" Sam told Steve as he watched the water, Steve reached down to grab the brown leather bag "oh, that reminds me" he unzipped the bag and pushed it towards Sam "try it on"

Sam looked back at us, Buck and I nodded, telling him it was okay. Sam gently picked up the shield, placing it on his left arm "how does it feel?" Steve asked, Sam looked down at the red, white, and blue pattern on the front before looking back up at Steve "like it's someone else's".

"It isn't" Steve replied smiling slightly, I could see the tears in Sam's eyes as he inhaled deeply, his eyes finding mine as I sent a reassuring smile his way "thank you, I'll do my best" he breathed out. Steve took Sam's hand in his "and that's why it's yours".

................................................................................................................................................................

Present Day (6 months post blip)

"I have no idea Rhodey" I hissed into the phone again "I have no idea where Wanda is, after everything in Westview, can you blame her for going into hiding?" I added resting the phone between my cheek and shoulder as I flickered through the files on my coffee table. Rhodey huffed dramatically "I hear you Clem, but promise me you'll call me in you hear anything?" he begged "I promise, I've gotta go Rhodes, I'll call you next week" I mumbled before hanging up.

I've spent the last five months monitoring S.W.O.R.D and following up on all the criminal activity that Nat had been dealing with, seems the world really did go to shit when Thanos wiped out half the planet. Criminal activity is at its highest and the public isn't as afraid of the authorities as they were. Sam called every week and texts me every day, fills me in on his missions and I help him and Torres as much as I can. 

Bucky on the other hand, well Bucky hasn't replied in months, I still send him a text every week. He used to call every now and then, mainly at night but that stopped after the first two months, I figured he just needed space to heal. 

"What is it now Sam?" I chuckled to myself as I opened the video he sent me, the video was of a man in a black mask with a red smudged handprint. He was strong, very strong "what the hell?" I hissed opening up the following attachment, a picture of Torres, his face badly bruised. The third attachment was a file called 'Flagsmashers' I skimmed through the info and frowned.

I dialed Sams number, placing it on loud speaker "hey my little firecracker" Sam greeted after the second ring, I grinned at the sound of his voice "hey pigeon, I just checked out the info you sent over" Sam grunted at the nickname I gave him before replying "what are you thinking?" he asked. I sat back and signed "whoever they are Sam, they're strong and they seem to be stirring up a lot of trouble across Europe" I fiddled with my yellow cushion as I spoke.

"Redwing traced them to a building outside of Munich, we'll do this together like the old days. Meet me at the base tomorrow, yeah?" Sam informed excitedly, I chuckled at his eagerness "yeah okay fine, I'll help. Send over any more info you get and I'll see you in the morning" I exclaimed, hanging up before he could reply. 

.........................................................................................................................................................

I flicked through the channels as I sipped my tea and waited for my pasta to cool down, my food was soon forgotten as I landed on 'News Exclusive'. The remote slipped from my hand and landed on the floor with a thud as I read the flashing words over and over again.

'JOHN WALKER NAMED CAPTAIN AMERICA'

My stomach twisted as my eyes stung, that shield belonged to Sam. I watched in disbelief as John Walked tossed around the shield, talking about his training. This isn't what Steve wanted. I needed to talk to Sam, he deserves that shield. 

"-I got big shoes to fill" John gushed, winking at the camera. I scrunched my face up in disgust "did you know Steve Rogers?" the interviewer asked, John shook his head "I was two years out of West Point when Steve came back on the scene, I followed his career very closely as an Avenger. So I like to think I model my work after his" I crossed my arms over my chest as I stared angrily at the screen. 

"So you've always wanted to be a hero?" she asked smiling brightly at him "I liked that what I was doing would make people feel safe, Steve Rogers was the kinda guy who could do that, he gave me hope. Even though I never met him, he feels like a brother" my stomach churned at his words, shaking my head I wiped away the tears that had escaped on to my cheeks.

"Wow. Have you reached out to any of the other heroes?" Walker smiled brightly at the camera, as though he was waiting for a question like this "I'm currently trying to get in contact with Clementine Creed, you know she was Steve's right hand and America's best girl, I'd love to have the honor of her working alongside me" I choked on my own saliva as I shot up on to my feet "he did not just say that?" I growled to myself, without thinking I slammed my hand into the screen, shattering the picture. 

I needed to speak with Sam and Bucky, we needed to fix this. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3K 78 38
"Keep my Bucky safe alright?" I said straightening Steve's jacket. "You act as if I ain't here, Babydoll," Bucky chuckled grabbing my hand and pullin...
280K 7.2K 60
eunoia (n.) a pure and well balanced mind, beautiful thinking Ava Wiley, a 23 year old hopeful in Brooklyn, New York. Spending the nights with her...
The Promise By me

Fanfiction

2K 60 18
Bucky Barnes X Y/N (Fem) Bucky Barnes, Steve Rogers, and yourself are a close group of best friends. You guys have been through everything. Life is p...
53.1K 1.9K 44
-𝐈 𝐰𝐚𝐧𝐭 𝐭𝐨 𝐨𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐫 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐜𝐞𝐫𝐭𝐚𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐲. -𝐀𝐧𝐝 𝐈 𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐈 𝐧𝐞𝐞𝐝𝐞𝐝 𝐜𝐞𝐫𝐭𝐚𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐲, 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐈 𝐣𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐧𝐞𝐞𝐝 𝐲�...