Common Sense • drivers license

By ILoveCookie3

One Shots about our favorite HSMTMTS couple. Will gladly take suggestions (preferably Rini). New chapters whe... More

Welcome
1 ~ Nothing Good
2 ~ After Party
1 ~ An Explanation ~ 2
3 ~ To: Freaky Callback Boy.
4 ~ Where is She?
4 ~ Our What?! ~ 2
5 ~ Armor
4 ~ Memories ~ 3
6 ~ The Triangle
7 ~ Soulmates
3 ~ Remember? ~ 2
3 ~ Devotion ~ 3
9 ~ Two-Faced
9 ~ Enough ~ 2
10 ~ Pizzas & Promises
6 ~ Honeymoon ~ 2
7 ~ Error ~ 2
11 ~ The Parts We're Playing
12 ~ I don't
13 ~ Impulse

8 ~ Difficult Dating

464 6 13
By ILoveCookie3

Don't forget that suggestions are always welcome!

Started: March 24, 2021
Finished: January 20, 2022, at 2 am

🍪🍪🍪

Nina Salazar-Roberts: straight-A student, loves music, kind to everyone, straight-A student, has a small group of close friends, greets everyone with a smile, straight-A student, happy home life. Was it mentioned that she's a straight-A student?

Those A's are mainly because of her overbearing mothers. Yes, they mean well, but wanting control in everything their daughter did was suffocating at times. They always pushed her to focus on her studies, keep track of her grades, and make sure there were no distractions. (Being raised by a nurse and lawyer was... wearing.)

No distractions lead to some of their ridiculous rules. For instance, curfew. Nina, or Nini, understood she had a curfew; she never had a problem with it and didn't see a reason to argue with that. The problem was with the topic of dating.

The rule was very quite simple: no.

They believed dating took too much attention away from her studies; all dates at her age were a pointless distraction. Even if she were to be in a relationship, they'd much prefer if she was with a woman. This was no secret to Nini; while the words were never said explicitly, her moms were always a little happier when she hung out with girls compared to boys, even if they told Nini that they wouldn't care who she was attracted to when the time came to give dates a try. Nini never confronted them for this but guessed it had something to do with her mom's ex-husband, aka the father who left them when she was two.

She never asked about him and never had a reason to. She had loving mothers and friends and just never thought about him. Once high school rolled around, Nini got the courage to ask about him simply because she was curious, and it wasn't the most pleasant of stories. But that's a tale for another time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As she became older, the overprotectiveness didn't go away. Apparently, college was just far too important to add a relationship into the mix, and she of course believed them.

As somewhat of a compromise, her moms got her an apartment only one town away from Salt Lake City while she was in college, which allowed Nini some independence while her moms could check in whenever they wanted. Nini knew they secretly were making sure she didn't have any boys over, and she never disobeyed them, mostly because she was way too shy due to growing up with all of their restraints.

Well... until Ricky came into the mix. Meeting each other was simple: a party.

Gina being Gina begged and bugged the daylights out of Nini to come with her. After many desperate attempts, she finally caved. They both went, and from the outside, Nini could already tell it was way out of her comfort zone; music was blasting and alcohol breath was within a hundred-mile radius. Not being a big drinker, or ever drinking, Nini ended up in the backyard of the house, also losing Gina in the first ten minutes.

She was leaning against the fence surrounding the property, enjoying the tranquility and staring at the stars away from the house until someone else joined her. "No drink?" they said.

"I don't drink," she said simply without facing the intruder of her peacefulness. She didn't want to have small talk with someone who was probably drunk out of their mind and couldn't remember who or where they were.

"You're at a college party sober?"

Nini laughs lightly, turning around to properly face them. He had wildly curly hair that looked like he just rolled out of bed, and she could see his chocolate brown eyes even in the darkness. "Two things: one, my friend forced me here; and two, you don't have to be wasted to have a good time."

"Who said I was wasted?" She supposed that might be a fair point; he wasn't slurring his words and didn't look nearly as dazed as some of the other people here.

"I figured it was implied with your judgment of me not having a drink."

He tilts his head to the side, intrigued by this stranger. "Is that so? Just because I find it weird that you're without a drink, you believe that means I'm so far gone?"

There was something about him that interested Nini in more ways than she could understand. "Isn't that what you just implied these parties are for? Getting drunk beyond belief?"

The man smiled, liking that she hadn't left the conversation yet. "Ricky," he said, sticking his hand out for her.

Nini glances between his hand and eyes before shaking it. "Nini."

They continued their little banter back and forth, Nini finding a silver lining with this night. Ok, maybe this wasn't such a bad idea after all.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That was months ago. Now, they're dating, and it's a bit... strange. Nini was always more comfortable in her apartment, which Ricky never objected to, but she had yet to tell him her reasons. He thought it was weird that they only hung out during school hours or super late at night, but he was happy because they were together.

It was because those were the times that Nini was sure they wouldn't be interrupted by a phone call or surprise visit from her moms. Nini had met Ricky's dad and stepmom, and they were a lot more accepting of their relationship than she thought they'd be. They weren't nearly as tough on him compared to how her mothers raised her on this subject. She expected them to bombard Ricky with questions, but that didn't happen.

Since then another month or so goes by, and Ricky still hasn't met Nini's moms. He found it super weird along with a few other things. Aside from the odd hours they'd hang out, he'd always find any pictures that weren't on their phones stuffed in the backs of drawers along with the jewelry he bought her. Her excuse was always that she forgot to put them on after waking up, but she never forgot her other rings. Again, she had an excuse: his gifts were still new to her, and she just doesn't remember while getting ready half asleep in the morning.

When he brought up the possibility of meeting her mothers, Nini wasn't fond of the idea, but she didn't want to talk about why just yet. She simply told him soon, and he went with it.

More time passes, and something changes between them. Ricky was a lot jumpier, and Nini wasn't sure why. They didn't keep secrets from each other (well... mostly), but Ricky was suspicious of something else. What if she wants to end things? The fact that she never wants to try and figure out when he could possibly meet her moms worried him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nini and Ricky were cuddled up on her couch as some cheesy movie was on the screen. It was barely seven o'clock, which is much earlier than Nini would usually have Ricky over; most times she wouldn't invite him in at least until the sun was down.

Nini was happily laying against his chest while Ricky worked up the nerve to ask her the question that's been burning in his head for a while now. "Nini, can I ask you something?"

She pauses the TV and turns to him. "What is it, bubs?"

"Are you... happy? Like... with our relationship?"

Nini looks at him like a deer in headlights. "Of course! What made you ask that?" She starts thinking over anything that could've been the reason for this thought.

"It's just... I feel like you're keeping something from me." Nini was a little hurt that he felt this way but wanted him to keep going. "I want to meet your moms," he pleads. "You've met my dad, and I'm dying to meet your parents."

Nini sighs, knowing this would come back around. "Ricky, I want that too, believe that. It's just... they've never been a fan of me dating."

"Nini, you're in college," he says in a duh tone.

"I'm well aware," she chuckles. "It-" Nini's phone interrupts her, and she panics when she looks at it. "Get behind the couch!" she hisses.

"What? Why?" Ricky stood up but was confused.

"Just do it!" He does so, completely lost at this point.

"Hey, Moms," she answers the FaceTime call cheerily.

"Hi, Nini," they said with the same excitement.

"Before you ask, I haven't been out with a boy," she says. Ricky's eyebrows raise at her statement.

"We weren't gonna ask that," Mama C says.

"Sure you weren't." They go on to talk about Nini's grades and how much she needs to be working. "My English is fine. An A- is still an A!"

This conversation lasts for a good fifteen minutes before Ricky can finally come out from behind the couch. "So... care to explain... that?"

"This would be so much easier if you were a girl," Nini mutters to herself.

"Hmm?"

"Nothing." Ricky sits down next to her, and the talking starts. "You could probably tell that they are very serious about my education."

"Yeah, that's understandable. What does that have to do with me meeting them?"

"Because they believe relationships at this age are a waste of time and only lead to a broken heart," she explains. "They say it's for my own good, but I don't see that anymore. Not after meeting you." Ricky smiles and takes one of her hands in his.

"I hope you know I feel the same; I haven't had a relationship since before my parents divorced because I didn't see the point in trying."

Nini smiles and kisses his knuckles. "Anyway, the reason they're so against dating is that my mom's high school sweetheart practically lost his mind. They were married almost right out of college, and I, um... I came from an unplanned pregnancy."

There's already a frog in her throat, and Ricky scoots in closer to her, wrapping his arms around her and planting a light kiss on her forehead. "I got you, Neens."

"Anyhow, neither of them was happy about having a child at that age, but my mom grew attached to the idea of being a mother, and she obviously went through with it despite his protests. They ended up staying together in an attempt for me to have both parents in my life. Their relationship turned insanely toxic a few months after I was born though, and Mom went through... so much verbal and physical abuse and-"

Ricky pulls her to his chest and lightly strokes her hair. "Shh, I got you."

Once she's a little calmer, Nini speaks again. "He left my mom and me when I was two, and she filed for restraining orders to ensure she and I were safe. I was far too young to actually remember any of this on my own, but this is what she told me. A few years later was when she met my other mom and remarried."

Ricky's heart broke for the girl in his arms. "Nini, I am so sorry. If you still aren't comfortable with me meeting your moms, that's fine. I just want you to know that I would never do something like that."

"I know you wouldn't. But they don't."

"Do you wanna give it a try? Just to see what they'd say."

Nini looks up from her spot on his chest and nods. "I do. I really do."

"Great, let's set it up then."

"You sure?"

"Of course. I've been dying to meet the women who raised the gorgeous one in front of me."

She blushes and digs her head into this chest. "I think if you have that kind of attitude, you'll make a great first impression."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It wasn't starting great.

Nini called her moms the next day to break the news to them. They deserved to know in person, but she wanted to stay alive so went with the phone option. They appeared to take the news well, but then the passive-aggressive comments came.

Nini continued to tell them about Ricky, but they weren't exactly the most open with it; they made a dig at almost everything she told them. She tried to give them the benefit of the doubt, considering she kept this from them for months. That conversation lasted ten minutes before Nini gave up.

Ricky was a mess. A few days later, he was trying to find something to wear while Nini helped calm him down. She already warned him that they probably won't give him the friendliest reaction, but that didn't help.

Dinner time approaches, and anxiety rises. Nini hears a knock at her door and breathes deeply before answering. She opens the door and hugs both of her moms tightly. "So... where is this boy?" Dana said, surveying the apartment.

Dear God, it's been five damn seconds. "He'll be here in a few minutes," she says, going into the kitchen. "And his name's Ricky."

Carol sat in the corner of the couch while Dana took the chair with the footrest. Nini brings a few glasses of water and sets them on the coffee table, knowing Ricky would need one to calm himself down.

At exactly five minutes before he said he would arrive, Ricky knocked on her door. Nini quickly jumps out of her seat to answer the door. "Hey, beautiful," he says when she answers.

"Hi." She quickly kisses his jaw and gestures to the living room. "You're gonna do fine," she whispers. He nods at her, and she places her hand on his back, guiding him to the couch.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Mrs. and Mrs. Salazar-Roberts," he says, holding his hand out to each of them. "I'm Ricky." They shake his hand but keep their poker faces.

The couple both sit down slowly as the mothers take in their daughter's partner's appearance: he wore dark jeans with a white button-down shirt; his curls were put together well; and unlike the typical college student, he actually looked like he's been sleeping well.

Nini throws an arm around his waist to try and make him feel better and to show her moms that she was comfortable with him. Ricky reluctantly puts his hand over her shoulders, afraid of making the wrong move in front of her mothers.

"So, Ricky was it?" Carlos starts. He nods. "How did you two meet?"

Ricky swallows the (at the moment) small lump in his throat. The way he could feel their eyes burning into his head did not help the anxiousness. "Oh, um, a mutual friend had introduced us-"

"Yeah," Nini chimes in, "we both know Gina." The women smiled a bit, being fond of Nini's longtime friend.

Nini and Ricky had already thought about a few possible questions and knew having excuses probably wasn't the best of ideas, but Nini didn't want to tell them she met Ricky at a party; it was already going to be hard enough for them to accept that she had a boyfriend, let alone that she actually went out to a party with 99% strangers and enough alcohol to last a lifetime.

"How long have you two been together?" Dana asks, watching Ricky carefully.

"Um, it's almost been a year," he says truthfully. Nini watches her mothers' faces for any sign of anger; they were just stone.

Dana is very obviously studying Ricky. "He looks familiar," she comments.

He shifts uncomfortably in his seat under her gaze, subtly wiping a sweaty hand on his pants while Nini watches her mother carefully. "I guess I just have one of those faces," he chuckles anxiously.

"Ricky," Carol starts, "what do you plan on doing after college?"

"Oh, um, talking about my future has always scared me. I've been helping my dad with his construction business since my senior year of high school, so that's what I majored in. Fingers crossed he trusts me to take it over one day," he says with a smile. Carol smiles, satisfied with the answer.

"Any hobbies?"

"Uh, I play guitar in my free time. It's a very, uh... therapeutic and cathartic kinda thing," he explains. Nini smiles, always liking when he talks about his musical interests.

Dana has been oddly quiet as she has observed the couple; Nini was seemingly more comfortable with this boy than the other way around, and she took that as a red flag. "So how did this relationship start?"

Both teens' attention turned to her. "Oh, um, well..." Ricky turned to Nini as he spoke. "After we met, we hung out for a while and got to know each other better, and I guess there was this... spark one time, and it just progressed into more. I eventually asked her on a date after taking forever to work up the nerve."

Nini smiled and leaned into him a little more. There was a twinkle in his eyes as he spoke; she always thought he was adorable when he would talk about them. "He's a cutie; that's for sure." She surprised him when she kissed his jaw, making him turn to face her; he looked like a deer in headlights. "And a keeper." Ricky returned the smile and kissed her forehead.

Dana squinted her eyes at him. "And your parents? What do they do?" she asked.

Ricky tensed, but Nini just gently rubbed his back. "Well, my dad runs a construction business as mentioned before. Bowen's Building. And my mom, well... I'm not in great contact with her." Both women's mouths form an O.

Nini could only imagine what embarrassing and inappropriate comments were about to come. Shit.

"I see," Dana continued the conversation. "And why is that?"

Nini held him tighter. "You don't have to answer," she whispered.

"No no, it's fine." Ricky cleared his throat and turned back to the women. "I grew up in West Jordan, Utah. My mom got a promotion at her job that required her to take more trips to her work's Chicago location. Her visits home became few and far in between. Eventually, my parents divorced, and my mom now only calls on major holidays and my birthday. I- I, uh... I haven't seen her in person for a while."

Nini squeezed his thigh and kissed his knuckles. "Family is not an... easy topic," she said, trying to save him. It didn't work.

Dana leaned back in the chair, continuing to just watch the couple. Nini already knew what was going through her mother's head; she had an expert poker face from so many years as a lawyer, and Nini would have trouble reading her sometimes. But she already knew; she could just tell: her mom didn't like Ricky.

Carol's face had softened the slightest, so Nini still had a sliver of hope (that was depleting faster and faster). She had a bit more compassion as a nurse yet still took the protection and safety of her daughter extremely seriously. "Do you live in this building too, Ricky?" the blonde woman asked.

"Uh, yes. A few doors down that way," Ricky said, pointing to his left.

"Do you have any siblings?" Dana asked, still with a straight face and changing the subject back to his family.

"N- No," he said simply.

"Did both your parents raise you?" Nini glared at her mother, but the brunette ignored her daughter's silent warning.

"Y- Yes," Ricky stuttered. "Up until I was sixteen. B- But even then, it wasn't all sunshine and rainbows; they used to fight in secrecy and think I wouldn't be able to hear them."

"Mom," Nini cut in, "what's with the questions?"

"You never know, honey," she said, speaking softer now that she was addressing her daughter.

"Know what?" the teen gritted.

"You never know how a boy will turn out if there aren't any women in his life to set him straight," she said, talking as if Ricky wasn't in the room.

"Well, I do know how he is; he's right here," Nini countered. "And I think Ricky," she emphasized, leaning her head on his shoulder, "turned out pretty great."

Carol felt that they had enough information by now just about Ricky, but she didn't know how to change the topic. She had a few more questions and concerns, but they were more for a private conversation, and she knew Nini wasn't going to let him be alone with them.

"I- If I may," Ricky interjected, "my father is a wonderful man who has fought tooth and nail for me my entire life."

"Yes, he is lovely," Nini added.

"Oh, are you implying your mother wouldn't do the same?"

"Mom," Nini warned again, sternly.

Well... technically... yes. "Mrs. Salazar-Roberts, I understand that your daughter is your world and that you want to do everything in your power to ensure the best for her. But... I just can not say that my mother is the same."

"Reeeally?" The brunette woman crossed her arms.

"Mom, these questions are enough; he's not sitting at the witness stand to be interrogated." Nini was beyond annoyed now; she knew they (especially Dana) would end up grilling him, but she didn't think it would last this long. "Ricky, can you go in the other room for a minute?" she whispered. He nodded and quickly kissed her forehead before going.

After Nini heard the bedroom door shut, she turned swiftly to Dana. "What is your problem?!" she hissed.

The older woman scoffed. "Sweetie, there is no problem. I only want to make sure that you are in no danger."

"By grilling my boyfriend on a topic that is obviously making him uncomfortable?"

"Well, this wouldn't have happened if you had just told us from the start."

"No. No, this is exactly why I didn't tell you from the start. All these questions are unnecessary and enough! I understand your concerns, but that doesn't mean you talk to him like he's an animal! You don't even know him!"

Ricky could hear the argument through the walls (the place wasn't that big). He felt somewhat guilty for this.

"Don't take that tone with me," she said sternly.

"Mom, I'm twenty years old! I can take care of myself. And if something goes south with this relationship, then I can handle it."

"Nini, sweetheart," Carol said delicately, "you know we just want to protect you. That's all we've ever wanted."

"Mama C, I know," she sighed. "And I'm glad that I will always have somewhere to turn to. But I don't need constant surveillance anymore. Please, just give me this little bit of independence and freedom."

"Nini, you know your best interest is always in our hearts," Dana chimed in. "But men can not be trusted; they're vicious and unforgiving predators that are too hormonal to think with their heads."

"Mama D, would you please just give him a chance?" she begged.

The two began a strange staredown, and after a moment, Dana sighed and gave in to her daughter's pleas. "Ok, fine, one chance," she caved. "But if he messes up, he's getting a life sentence on a remote island."

Nini squealed, jumping up to hug them both. "Thank you; thank you; thank you!" She quickly ran over to the bedroom door and opened it. "Hey, it's clear now."

Ricky was standing in front of her closet that she had left open. "Um... care to explain," he said, gesturing to the hanging clothes.

"What?" she asked, going to stand next to him.

"Uh, that my missing hoodies have all ended up here."

She giggled and wrapped her arms around him. "What? You never asked."

"But I told you that they were missing and to watch out for them around campus."

"Well, you see, there's a flaw." She moved to his front and rested her chin on his chest. "You said to look for them, not return them."

Ricky smiled and puffed air from his nose. "Oh, you're just lucky you're cute." He nuzzled his nose against hers before giving her a quick peck.

"Let's head back out there."

"Wait. Do they hate me?"

"No, bubs. They're just protective, stubborn, and closed-minded."

"Well, maybe, but-" She put a finger over his lips.

"No buts. Come on."

The couple re-entered the living room and nervously sat back down. Nini was the first to speak this time. "Moms, I'm happy with Ricky. He brings something else into my life. I've never felt this way about anyone before. And... I love him."

Ricky looked down at her with a bright smile on his face. This was the first time either of them have said that out loud. This wasn't how he had imagined the moment going, but he was thrilled nonetheless. "I love you too."

Nini brought her hand up to his cheek and kissed him gently, still remembering that her moms were watching them. The kiss lingered for a moment before they pulled away and stared at one another. "I've been wanting to say that for a while," Ricky mumbled.

"Me too," she beamed with her chin on his shoulder. When she turned back, Nini saw proper smiles come through on her mothers' faces for the first time since they arrived.

Despite all the warnings and concerns, Nini felt that her first experience with a boyfriend was going much better than any of them could have imagined. Turns out not all men are awful.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Eventually, this whole night came to an end, both to Nini and Ricky's delight. "It was an honor to meet you, Mrs. and Mrs. Salazar-Roberts," Ricky said as he and Nini walked them to the door.

"The pleasure was all ours, Ricky," Carol said. She actually opened her arms for a hug before leaving.

Dana still had her armor up and opted for a simple handshake, which Ricky didn't mind; he figured it was better than anything. The older woman gripped his hand tighter to hold him still, leaned toward his ear, and whispered, "If you break her heart, I'll break you."

Ricky swallowed nervously and responded with, "Of course. I love her very much though."

"For your sake, I hope you do."

Both women then hugged their daughter tightly. "Love you both," Nini said.

"Love you," they said at the same time with smiles. They each kissed her cheek before finally leaving.

Nini shut the door after them and turned around, leaning against the door and sighing. "Well... that happened."

"How do you think it went?" he asked, fidgeting.

"I think..." She slowly walked over to him and rested her chin on his chest again while her hands rubbed up and down his back. He closed his eyes at the gesture, tilting his head down and resting his cheek on her head. "I think it went really well... mostly."

"But... you're happy with their reaction?"

"Mhm. After a simple explanation, yeah."

"Yeah... that argument wasn't exactly the quietest," he said, lifting his head to look at her.

"It does matter now." Nini got on her toes to kiss him. "I love you."

Ricky smiled widely. "I love you too. This... situation isn't exactly how I wanted to tell you, but I guess it works."

Nini giggled and rested her head on his chest, closing her eyes and listening to his heartbeat; it wasn't exactly at a calm pace, so she took that as he was still a little jittery after the day's events. Their bodies began to sway the slightest, a mere few feet from her front door.

"Neens?" he whispered.

"Hmm?"

"What are we doing?"

She shrugged. "I don't know, but I like it. It's not like we have other plans for the day."

"I have something in mind."

"Oh, do you now?"

"Yes. We... need to address your hoodie obsession problem."

She laughed and dug her face into his chest. "I do not have a problem!"

"Oh really?" He breaks away from her and goes to her room, opening her closet.

"I have no idea what you're talking about."

Ricky chuckles and takes one out, changing out of his dress shirt. After swapping, he goes over to Nini and hugs her, kissing the top of her head. "Nini, as beautiful and cute and flat out adorable as you look in my clothes, I need some stuff to wear too."

"Fine, pick one."

"One!? They were mine in the first place. A good chunk of your wardrobe is my stuff!"

"I guess this wasn't clear before: what's yours is mine, and what's mine is mine. It's rather simple."

Ricky sighed and looked her in the eyes. "I'm never getting my stuff back, am I?" he said with a slight pout.

"At some point." She pulled away from the hug and dragged him to the couch.

He squinted his eyes at her as he sat next to her. "You're not giving anything back until my cologne fades away, are you?"

"Glad to know we're on the same page." Nini hid her rosy cheeks as she snuggled next to him and grabbed the remote.

"You're kinda ridiculous. You know that?"

"Yeah, but you looove me."

"That I do." He put his index finger under her chin and lifted her head to kiss her.

They stayed that way for a moment, her hand coming up to his chest. Nini pulled away first, mumbling, "Good because I love you too."

🍪🍪🍪

A little inspired by ziggyhsmtmts's "Dream Boy" from their book Ricky and Nini - Song Fics.

If you didn't notice, Dana never calls Ricky by his name aloud, only Carol; this is meant to imply that Dana does not approve of him and refuses to accept him.

4894 words

Published April 24, 2022

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

22K 433 23
~~A man comes on the speaker and says, "this is your captain speaking. we have run into a thunderstorm and its's not safe for us to be up in the air...
39.8K 921 46
When a heartbroken Nini is finally ready to hang out with her friends again, she realizes it's going to be a lot harder than what she prepared for. W...
41.5K 669 33
Will do any. Requests always open! Please just comment and ask or PM me! Thanks! I do not own High School Musical: The Musical: The Series. All chara...
175K 3K 37
•JUST FOR A MOMENT• collection of one-shots about ricky and nini from high school musical: the musical: the series! !! some may be OOC !! sadly, i d...