Fairy Tale Wedding (Book One...

By SarahRWorkman16

What happens when you meet Prince Charming and he isn't "the one" for you? Princess Adeline of Once-upon-a T... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Four: The End

Chapter Twenty-Three

2 0 0
By SarahRWorkman16

Jarryd led Gillroy and Princess Adeline through the dusky corridors of the castle. His dark features were stern with decision. He was determined to get the princess and her valiant steward out of his mother's domain, out of Distress safe and sound. He had no great plan for their escape, nor did he deceive himself with the belief he would be leaving the darkness alongside them. But Jarryd was sure of one thing – he was through with just sitting by and letting Lady Jacqueline go about her awful business. Jarryd would act on his own soul's stirring, doing all he could to stop his mother from destroying Fairy Tale.

What inspired the change? Jarryd didn't want to think about that as he wound his way through the labyrinth of the dimly lit palace. He didn't want to turn his head to glance back at the lovers behind him. While Jarryd genuinely wanted Adeline to be with the one she adored, it pained him to admit he would never be that man. None of the books he read did justice to this disappointment of his brief, but shining dreams. Even to this child accustomed to loneliness, a certain future without love, Adeline's love, felt suffocating and dark.

So be it, Jarryd thought to himself, tightening his fists as he stomped forward, at least my conscience will not haunt me while I dwell with nothing but the wind's whispering. Distress' days of doom are over for me. I will have a better existence this time, he resolved.

As Jarryd led the way, Gillroy and Princess Adeline tried to keep up without their quiet conversation disturbing the dark prince. Gill held his princess' hand as they rushed forward. Their connection was brand new, an exhilarating and frightening unexplored territory much like this castle's interior.

"So how did you find out about the wedding," Princess Adeline asked under her breath. "I thought Lady Jacqueline was keeping it hush-hush for ultimate shock factor."

Gill kept his eyes on Jarryd's back, "I got it straight from the Shadow's mouth, though honestly I'm not sure if he, uh, it was supposed to tell me or not."

"You mean as bait?" the blonde's blue eyes darkened in concentrated concern. "I don't fancy that thought."

Gill shook his straw-coloured head and tightened his hold on her delicate fingers.

"Me neither," he said. "And yet...I know deep in the pit of my stomach..."

The steward's train of thought trailed off as Jarryd approached a moderate-sized, wooden door. Every one of the three young people felt their intestines ripple and knot as they stared forward. Doors could be so grand and scary, because the surprise on the opposite side was unknown. If humans could only have see-through vision, how much easier life would be!

Yet this was not the time for whimsical musings. No indeed. For as the three stood assessing the risk at hand, they became aware of a soft, throbbing noise coming from outside. What was that sound?

"Where does this door lead," Gill asked Jarryd.

"The walls overlooking the courtyard," he answered. "My mother's tower stands on the other side."

"Lovely," Gill sarcastically sighed.

"Don't worry, Gill," Adeline squeezed his elbow, "I believe in us. Jarryd will get us out; with your help, naturally."

Gillroy looked into the princess' brave, petite face. She was worried, but such a dear, she chose not to show the fear running in and out of her heart. He did not doubt her sincerity. Gill knew Adeline trusted him with her life and for that faith alone he would defend her to the end...perhaps sooner rather than later.

Gill lifted up his sword, adjusting his palm's position on the hilt.

"Okay, Jarryd," Gill stated. Jarryd nodded and reached for the doorknob. Before he turned it enough to pull the door open, Gill touched his arm, "Uh, Jarryd? I don't mean to pry, but do you happen to have any kind of weapon on you? I mean, it seems to me that we're going to need as many good soldiers and steely blades as we can find once we pass through that door."

Jarryd licked his lips and looked Gillroy in the eye, "Sorry to disappoint you, but no. I had no one to train me and there isn't exactly an armory on the premises. So, no, I have no skills or tools of war."

Gill pursed his lips in anxiety. "Awesome. No chance you know any magic either, I guess?"

"No, none," Jarryd responded. He read his mother's books of spells as a little boy, but they had never sprung to life. There was no magic in his veins; he was a mere man hoping to save the lady he loved with nothing but his wits about it.

"I'm sure it's better that way," Princess Adeline tried to be encouraging.

"Not even a shield of virtue," Gill lamented. "This is the worst rescue scheme ever."

"We'll at least make history for something," Adeline joked, at the probably least funny moment possible. Still, it brought a shamed smirk to Gillroy's mouth.

"Then what are we holding back for?" Gill almost shouted. Some fresh fire burst through his psyche and made him yearn for heroism and all that went with it. He dropped Adeline's hand and rushed upon the door. Instead of drawing it open, the steward kicked the decrepit door free. It was a bit flashy for an audience of two, but it felt appropriate to Gill. Sword raised high in vertical magnificence, he ran out of the corridor.

Jarryd and Princess Adeline stared somewhat stupidly with their heads cocked to one side for a second. Then, they chased after Gillroy.

None of them got very far. Immediately their vision was impaired by a thick, grey fog. It whirled around and into itself, blanketing its center. The heat of the atmosphere was enough to suffocate them. And in the billowing mass of cotton clouds, a crackle of electricity sparked out from time to time. It was a most unnatural sight. The three stood clustered together. The path around the wall was indecipherable. They had nowhere to go.

"I'm guessing this doesn't happen often," Gill shouted over the wind and another stretching sound. The dust of Distress smashed against them from the movement of the storm. Gill almost choked on the grit in his mouth. Princess Adeline attempted to block it out of her nose and lips, all the while trying to keep her eyes from watering too profoundly from the acidy gusts.

The storm began to die down. The wind stopped roaring and calmed to a sigh. Though the tiny group standing on the courtyard's walkway were glad to see a shape becoming visible as the fog fled, they also knew nothing nice could come out of this phenomenon. This was Lady Jacqueline's handiwork. They might finally be together, Adeline rescued into Gillroy's protection, but the vile mistress of this kingdom was not going to let them get away. She planned every second perfectly and they willingly walked into her trap.

Now, the enchantress would pour out her fiery wrath upon them. Each one of the three young people gulped as their eyes beheld the queen's transformed state. She loomed above them with a smile that showed all of her white, wet teeth. How those teeth glistened down to their pointy tips. And the steam dancing up from her nostrils could only mean one thing. Those scales of black and a subtle sheen of purple were fabulous armor, if anyone should survive her breath of fire long enough to pull off an arrow or throw a dagger. Yet somehow Gill, Jarryd and Adeline would have to find her weaknesses and their own strength if they were to defeat the dragon form of Lady Jacqueline. They would have to kill her if they wanted to escape this castle. Somehow, the valiant defenders of goodness must find a way.

Lady Jacqueline raised her massive head up towards the sky and laughed the most revolting of laughs. Her open mouth let out a line of red, orange fire as she rejoiced over the present situation. They were all so evidently beneath her power, it was delectable. To see a plan turn out exactly as one plotted was a cause for jubilation. As the humans below witnessed her glee, they understood it foreshadowed their doom.

"Well, little weaklings," Lady Jacqueline turned her indigo eyes and long snout upon the party. "I see you've found one another at last. How nice. It will be a pleasure to burn you to a crisp in the arms of love."

The voice coming from the dragon was recognizably that of the enchantress, and yet it acquired new layers with her new body. Around her human voice a higher and lower pitch simultaneously resonated. The effect made one's backbone want to shatter.

Princess Adeline stepped forward, "The arms of love? I think not, Your Horribleness. Jarryd and I are not married. That wedding was crashed, majorly. Your plan is unraveling fast."

The dragon shook its head and even crossed its small arms over its chest. The behavior looked very comical, such a human act of boredom upon a creature so ridiculously uncivilized.

"When will they ever learn," Lady Jacqueline moaned. "I meant you and your brawny stableboy, princess. Really, your affection for one another was so obviously something more, even my spies noticed the deeper attraction. I think Once-upon-a Time is cursed with blindness, not that it hasn't worked to my advantage, but none of you fools could see the truth of your feelings or anyone else's. Not even poor Prince Darrik and my niece, Eudora."

"You're very long winded for a cold-blooded animal," Gillroy shouted at her. "Are we here to face you Jacqueline or are you going to torture us to death with your mind-numbing conversation?"

There was a nasty grin spread wide across her lipless face. "All in fine time; I cannot bear to say good, of course. Oops!" she chuckled perversely.

"Where are Eudora and Prince Darrik," Princess Adeline called out.

"I'm afraid the royal couple will not be joining our courtyard rendezvous," Lady Jacqueline reported. "Prince Darrik is unable to attend – he's too busy playing dead at the moment, and for some eternity to come I think. Oh dear, poor boy. He really did do wonders for the Prince Charming edition. Such a waste."

"Darrik," Princess Adeline sniffed. Another casualty to Adeline's stupid heart.

"You haven't lost him yet," Jarryd whispered into Adeline's shoulder. She did not comprehend his meaning, nor was it apparent right off. Jarryd detected his mother's choice of words as decidedly wobbly. She called Prince Darrik one "playing dead," and that made a difference. It maybe was a weak hope, but Jarryd took it up nonetheless.

For that brief whisper, Lady Jacqueline boiled with disdain. She hunkered down and shot her head towards her son. Jarryd had to back up against the short stone barrier that kept him from tumbling off the wall of the castle. The dragon's nostrils steamed near his belly, her eyes at the weird angle above her nose made her intimidating gaze feel distant and not half so scary.

"You ungrateful worm," she snapped at Jarryd. "I always knew you were a weak, pathetic creature, just like your...Hm, I shouldn't be surprised. You didn't even have the force of will to make this girl marry you! Why were you ever born to shame and betray me thus?"

"I have asked the darkness that question a million times," Jarryd resolutely told her, "And the only way to understand my birth has come forth today. I was born to stop you, and, trust me mother, I shall."

She snapped her teeth at him, but Jarryd did not shrivel into a ball. His days of cowering in the eternal night of her shadow were over. Jarryd knew his purpose. He was not made to be a coward. There was chivalry destined to strengthen his character. The unwavering bravery in his eyes startled Lady Jacqueline who never really looked at her son to see his potential, or the man he had become. She slid back to her upright, mocking position.

"This beastly banter has been grand for setting the stage," she said, picking at her razor nails, "Yet it has always been my opinion that fighting words are rather superfluous when they are not accompanied by actual fighting."

"I couldn't agree more," Gillroy said, tossing his sword between his hands as he readied his body and mind for battle. "You might look like a big, ugly lizard, but I don't believe you have the stuff to be victorious. You won't pass through the fires, Lady Jacqueline. Say your final goodbyes to Fairy Tale."

"I doubt she will miss you," Jarryd added.

Lady Jacqueline had no eyebrow to lift. She could not show her curiosity or disregard. Gillroy, Adeline and Jarryd would know her feelings transparently in a tick-tock. They would see the passion of her hate with her first shot of life-melting flame.

As Lady Jacqueline straightened her spine and took in a sensationally deep breath. Jarryd, Gillroy and Princess Adeline all thought, "Oh great, here it comes."

At once, Lady Jacqueline began to spout down her wrath upon the three defenders of goodness. Upon the wall of the courtyard they had nowhere to hide, no way to escape the flames advancing towards them. The only answer was speed, taking desperate leaps away from the burning streams flowing down from the dragon's mouth and nostrils. Thankfully the newly transformed enchantress was not completely comfortable with her skills; her accuracy sometimes falling sadly short of her target.

Still, the near misses were drawing ever closer. Gillroy felt particularly naked against the danger with no shield or armor to bounce back the flames. It wouldn't have helped them much, the steward of Adeline's stables was realizing, as he dodged another hot stream.

The humans had reason to be frightened near to death. Lady Jacqueline's fire could easily devour them at any point. One hesitation, one sizzle, and it would all be excruciatingly over. No one could blame them for shaking in every muscle, bones smacking bones. This was a scene so terrifying nothing could prepare them to face it. The sweat was pouring off their bodies from the intense heat and over exertion of running from the fire. Yet thus far they prevailed against its malevolence, not even a hair or thread singed from a too close encounter. It would have been a most encouraging observation, if they had a single second to relax and think about anything other than survival.

"Agh," Adeline groaned her loud frustration. "It's all coming down to endurance. This is crazy, and unfair! "

"Yes. Yes it is," Gillroy stated with a furrowed brow, his disgust evident across his sweat-drenched, flushed face. This was not at all a fair fight, because there was really no fighting going on. Sure, Lady Jacqueline was attacking, no question there, but the three humans were not allowed to fight back. Gillroy had his sword and wits about him, and was resolved to use both to beat their enemy. He knew their legs would soon get tired and inevitably a wrong move would give Lady Jacqueline the moment she needed to drench the fumbler in her flames. Gill couldn't let exhaustion claim the lives of his comrades. He would not.

"Wait just one second there, you cowardly, overgrown lizard," Gill yelled at the dragon. He took a firm stance on the platform of stone, his sword held by the middle of his stomach. He was not going to move.

"Gill," Princess Adeline cried, "What are you doing? Run, for goodness sake, r..."

The princess did not finish her sentence, for she noticed the currents of fire and smoke stopped. Gillroy, though a perfect target where he stood on the parapet, was in no danger. Lady Jacqueline looked down on him with steely, indigo eyes, her nostrils flaring in annoyance.

She pointed a claw towards the soft, bumpy underbelly of her chest. "You dare to call me cowardly, little stableboy? Me, the punisher of all Fairy Tale?"

Gill nodded enthusiastically. "Yes, I do." His green eyes were so cocky, his smile lopsided with astounding spunk. "And let me tell you why, you massive bully. Because you never give your prey a chance to fight back. Never, not once have you ever done actual battle with any of your opponents. You throw fire at us from above. When you take over a kingdom, you never go to war with them yourself. You always send your minions to do your dirty work, while you cower in this hole of a place, safe and sound. You couldn't fight an enemy face to face if your life depended on it. You look like a dragon, but inside you're just a mouse. You are a coward, Lady Jacqueline, and nothing but a coward."

The enchantress fumed with displeasure. A yellow glow of wounded pride sparkled in her dark eyes. The scaly skin around her mouth stretched backwards as she bared her enormous teeth at him. Gill, it would appear, hit too close to the mark. She was unable to refute his evidence, and it irked her grievously the young man below knew it.

Princess Adeline, at a little distance away, looked on with pride. That was her sweetheart there, bravely striking Lady Jacqueline dumb with his mocking words. She loved him even more. A sigh of love for such a hero escaped her lips.

Jarryd, standing behind Princess Adeline, was considering a very different matter. His gaze was upon the dragon-who-was-his-mother's underbelly. That fleshy layer from her neck down to her tummy was not protected by solid scales. It was the only area on her body which would suffer if a fatal blow could be given. One perfect jab at her heart would do the trick, he figured, and yet...

The poor son of such a wicked mother struggled within himself with what was to be done. Could he kill his own mother, or stand aside while someone else made the attempt? It seemed like the answer to that question was so obvious, but still it troubled his conscience.

Lady Jacqueline saw she would have to deal with Gillroy now. She could not let him live after making such assertions against her. He had to die even more so than before. But, she loathed to admit, he would have to die in combat betwixt him and her. No more use of destruction from a distance. Lady Jacqueline would have to fight Gillroy one-on-one.

"Very well," she hissed, "You want to fight me? Fine. Prepare yourself for a quick but bloody end. I'll just have to get back to barbecuing the princess later."

"Over my dead body," Gillroy promised, grinding his teeth in expectation. He swayed back and forth on his heels as he awaited the epic action to come. One man against a dragon. It was cliché, but how it enlivened his manliness!

Lady Jacqueline smiled devilishly. "That was exactly what I was thinking, stableboy. Once you're dead, I'll get rid of Miss Adeline, and all of Fairy Tale will have to fall. Right after I bite off your proud, pernicious head!"

The dragon lashed out at Gillroy like a snake. She was all-of-a-sudden as slick and quick as an arrow on the wind. She could move like silk and lightning united. One blink might lose sight of her. And when once she moved, her mouth full of spiky teeth would be right before your eyes. Flash, and they would be biting down. Gillroy had to keep his senses more alert than ever before.

There was a positive side to this trauma. Every time Lady Jacqueline tried to clamp her teeth down on Gill, she presented him with a chance to slash at her snout with his sword. As long as he moved a step back at the right time, he could strike down hard on her nose. While his blade could not cut through her scales, it was enough of a shock of pain to make the dragon stagger back, her eyes watering. Then Gill could take a few gasps to ready himself for the next defense.

"Good work, Gill," Princess Adeline cheered, "Strike home. Get her in the jaw!"

"Don't distract him," Jarryd urged, trying to pull the princess away from the scene. This was the perfect diversion. Jarryd could sneak Adeline away while Lady Jacqueline was busy biting at Gillroy. Half of their mission, for he now considered himself one of the rescue party, would be accomplished. He just wanted to get Princess Adeline away from his mother's clutches.

It was not to be, for Adeline would not be moved. She could not leave Gill. The idea was preposterous. He was fighting for her, after all. It would be worse than selfish to save her own neck while her friend was selflessly risking his for her. Even as she encouraged him on, there were tears in her eyes. She was not surprised in the least that Gillroy should risk his life to save hers; she was touched and terrified that his love would cause him to make the greatest sacrifice of all.

Meanwhile, the commencing combat was taking new turns. Lady Jacqueline learned from her mistakes, now going at Gillroy from a new angle. She hesitated to use her leathery wings before this. Though she could fly as a raven without a problem, lifting a dragon's body off the ground was cumbersome. She didn't want to knock out a castle wall or anything. Yet it was clear that Lady Jacqueline would have to get above Gillroy if she wanted to keep her pain-receptors safe from the human's banging blows. With her eyes closed the tiniest bit, Lady Jacqueline spread her wings and started to beat the wind. When her huge feet rose off the ground, she let an uncharacteristically giddy laugh escape her dark soul.

Gillroy saw the danger, but it did not worry him. If she was in the air, then more of her body would be in his reach. Maybe he could simply jab upwards and hope for the best? Maybe not. Her first snaps at him were very well judged, and Gill had fallen backwards on his bottom and hands to get away. It was harder to keep his head up and his footing sure. He was not familiar with his surroundings and the stones beneath his boots were uneven after decades of disrepair. He had to scurry like a crab to elude her a couple of times and barely made it away without injury. Only his sharp sword forced the dragon to fall back.

Those first false steps made Adeline's blood skip a beat. She felt like her heart really was in her throat, strangling her slowly. When he stumbled back from the beast's attacks, Adeline nearly lost her soundness of mind. By instinct, she ran towards him, as though she could give him aide. Then Gill's intense glance in her direction would stop her, reminding her that it would make his battle harder if she attempted to assist. Sheepishly, she would take a few tip-toes backwards, watching the action all the while.

Jarryd never tried to keep Princess Adeline back when she ran towards the warfare. He was hardly witnessing the adventure before his eyes. His brain was too overloaded, too consumed to comprehend what was going on around him. The fact he was watching someone, anyone, trying to kill his mother made perceptiveness hazy. It did not matter the man with intentions of murdering his matron was the man who so recently stole Princess Adeline's heart from out of Jarryd's reach. Though Gillroy was not getting anywhere close to achieving his purpose, his intent in itself was perplexing to poor Jarryd. Could he let someone assassinate his mother, his only relation in the world? Even though Jacqueline always despised him, Jarryd couldn't deny that his only identity was wrapped up in being her son. What would he be, what would he have left without her?

Jarryd was lost in the cyclone of his own debating. He had read about mercy and seen it displayed in Adeline's compassion towards him, but did Lady Jacqueline deserve mercy? That was the rub, for Jarryd knew too well no one deserves mercy. Still, what would it mean for countless innocent folk across the map if Lady Jacqueline was not conquered here and now? What would it mean for Princess Adeline and Gillroy? Was it selfish of him to care about preserving their lives above the life of his own parent? Was he becoming just as self-centered as his mother? Who deserved his duty in this hour? It was too much to contemplate without spiraling into madness.

Jarryd would have to make up his mind very soon. Gillroy was gradually wearing down Lady Jacqueline's advantage. His quick thinking moved along faster than the speed of lightning's crash. He was finding ways of getting beneath and around her. A few minor cuts, no more than a hangnail or paper cut to a human, were now visible under Lady Jacqueline's chin. He might figure out how to get at her most vulnerable places. A tremor of concern washed over the dragon. She was not so sure of herself as she had been at the beginning of this battle. Perhaps there was more to this stablehand than met the eye.

Gillroy did not sense the failing ego of his opponent. He kept his attention solely on winning this fight. His lungs were doing double duty and his arms ached from the hard work of keeping his sword up and moving. His sides were screaming, his feet hurt and the sweat streaming into his eyes was a hazardous annoyance. Yet he fought on. He had to win. He had to see this through.

So when the opportunity to injure Lady Jacqueline more seriously presented itself, he dashed at it. The dragon's open mouth plummeting at him gave birth to a mad idea. He wouldn't run this time. No, he would stay where he was. Closer, closer her mouth came. The tongue was a bluish-purple, the breath reeked of smoke and at the back of the throat a hangy-ball dangled. He was close enough to see and smell all this. But before her teeth could smash down around him, Gillroy jammed his swordblade into Lady Jacqueline's mouth. It sank into her slim tongue and sliced its way down and out with a torturous ripping sound. A forked tongue now, like the snake she had always been beneath the surface.

Lady Jacqueline flapped her wings wildly, flying backwards away from Gillroy and the courtyard wall like a drunken bird unable to stay on a straight course. She howled in pain, even as her mouth spewed forth black blood from the wound. It wouldn't kill her, but the pain was horrible and the taste of blood harrowing. It was a testament to her mortality, that she could be wounded, and if she could be wounded, then she most certainly could be killed.

Anger overcame her panic and pain. Enough of fighting fair. Call her a coward, but she was not going to die today or any day. She glanced about the scene, looking for some easy way out. There, yes, Princess Adeline. That was the way to bring low the lad with the sword. She chuckled internally as she threw her body down into a fast windstream, rocketing to the spot where the princess stood.

It took Gillroy a minute to see the intended end of Lady Jacqueline's fresh idea. Then he realized exactly what was going to happen. The dragon did not go at Princess Adeline with her teeth or claws. Instead, her thick tail swung horizontally along the wall. The terror in Adeline's blue eyes said exactly what she was thinking. No escape. There was nowhere to go and the drop from this height would be no small thump. Gill dropped his sword and ran forward as Lady Jacqueline's massive tail swept the petite princess off the edge of the castle wall and out of sight.

Gillroy threw himself on his stomach and slid bumpily to the edge of the wall. He was unconsciously biting the right corner of his bottom lip. Gill did not utter the prayer roaring through his mind; for once, he was not brave enough to hope. He grabbed the precipice and looked over the side.

"Adeline," he yelled, "Hold on! Please, please, hold on."

For there, clinging on with all her might was his princess. A jagged piece of the castle's glass stone, almost looking like the horn of a rhinoceros, provided a handhold for Princess Adeline. Her blonde, wedding day bun started to unravel as she tried not to swing too much against the rocks. When she heard Gill's voice, she felt uplifted even as she held on to safety by a thread. She did not mean to look down when she was falling, but it had been almost impossible not to. It would hurt if she dropped, really, really bad.

"Gill, I can't reach," she told him. "If I let go of even one hand... Gill, help me!"

"I will," he promised, "I won't let you fall, Adeline, not ever."

Her bottom lip quivered. She wanted to believe him. But her hands were getting more and more sweaty and she never was the proud owner of upper body strength. She knew she did not have long. So while she waited, Adeline chose to calmly stare into Gill's handsome face. It was the last sight she wanted to see if the end was near.

Lady Jacqueline, high in the sky, gloried in this twist. She continued to spit out blood from her forked tongue. She knew what to do now with the two blonde Once-upon-a Timeans on her wall. If Princess Adeline refused to fall to her death, then she would have to face the flames. One burst of fire should do the trick; Gillroy and Adeline turned to ashes together. It was somewhat romantic, if overtly macabre. Ah well, Lady Jacqueline inhaled another chest building breath, as long as it got rid of Once-upon-a Time's monarch it was good enough for her. She started to descend towards the defenseless pair.

Jarryd's eyes grew as the war within his mind finally found a victor. He knew what to do. There had never been another option.

Jarryd took up Gillroy's sword in one fell swoop. It felt comfortable in his strong hand, as if they were meant for one another. Maybe, yes, maybe they were.

Lady Jacqueline reveled in her downward flight. Neither of the two young people were aware she was soaring towards them. While she did like that last look of horror, she could forego it this time. Just a bit closer and she would swamp their weak bodies with her flames. Almost there...Almost...

Lady Jacqueline was opening her mouth to finish the destruction of Princess Adeline and Gillroy when a voice, almost as if from the grave, sent her reeling off her line of flight. All it said was, "Oh, Lady Jacqueline," rather amusedly; not exactly a startling speech, but it was enough to slap the dragon's senses silly. Her ears must be mistaken. It couldn't be. It could not!

Lady Jacqueline swirled her body around to look at her tower across the courtyard. There, at the top, standing so smugly at the window was her greatest fear. She squeezed her fists, scales clashing scales, and screamed, "No!"

"Oh yes," Prince Darrik replied, alive and as charming as ever at the tower window. He smiled his same boyish grin which dazzled all others, yet today it made Lady Jacqueline feel quite sick. Why would these young royals not die? It was not natural. Why, it was not even fair!

"I spelled you," she stated. "You were dead."

"I was," Darrik acknowledged. "But then I was saved."

Prince Darrik pulled Eudora to his side. She smiled with wet eyes of thanksgiving. His arm around her shoulders was safe and endearing. Her kiss had saved him. He did love her and their love had set him free from Lady Jacqueline's power.

And how that wicked queen raged at this knowledge. How dare such a thing as love ruin her plans? This was her kingdom, the joyless land of Distress. Finding love was not the regular fare. Well, she would show them! She still had a weapon burning up from her belly. At this point, she did not care if she burned her castle to the ground. Eudora and Prince Darrik had to die.

"Now, lads," a tenor whinnied in command. The voice was not familiar to Lady Jacqueline, but the sound that followed it was. She heard beating wings and she was aware they were too loud to be hers alone. Her dragons, what were they doing out of the cave without a special order from her? Out they were, however, and coming quickly towards her position in the sky.

"Seize her," Knightley neighed from outside the castle. Dark Journey and Avory galloped beside him. They had done their duty to their human masters. Not only did they keep the dragons from hurting their loved ones, the three horses actually turned the beasts to the side of freedom and peace. These horses were not only noble steeds, they were diplomats and the most loyal friends.

The newly pro-Fairy Tale dragons took hold of Lady Jacqueline's wings and upper body by their feet. Now the enchantress knew how Princess Adeline felt when torn away from the Forest of No Return. She wriggled and jiggled to no avail. Lady Jacqueline was the prisoner. Her head twitched every which way. How was this happening to her? Her wonderfully evil plan gone to ruin; it seemed impossible to fail a few hours ago. What had gone wrong? Could this be the end?

A flash of light claimed everyone's attention. The clouds that hid the sun in Distress parted a tiny chink and let a random ray dance down to the world below. That small sunlight landed on the silver sword previously thrown down by Gillroy. It was held up once more, straight in the air, a sight of inspiration to all but the captive dragon queen. Her son, Jarryd, looked like a knight of classic romance. His moment of greatness had come.

No one said a word. They watched, aware this was an event of historic significance, a day they would tell their children and grandchildren about – the day Lady Jacqueline, enemy of Fairy Tale, was vanquished, once and for all.

Jarryd stood directly across from the dragon that was his mother. The other winged creatures kept her from moving. Her son did not need to aim, he felt instinctively the sword would fly right to the spot he wanted. He reached his arm way back and then threw the blade. It spun in circles over and over but kept to its course, like it was being drawn in by a magnet. It struck into Lady Jacqueline's chest, wounding her heart, robbing her of life. The dark queen would not terrorize Fairy Tale any more. She wailed and spat and spasmed between the dragons' feet, but it was over.

How does a wicked enchantress die, especially when in the shape of a dragon? The deep clouds emblematic of Distress left the sky and swirled around Lady Jacqueline. They encircled her faster and faster, her body becoming no longer visible. Again, flashes of lightning crackled in those clouds. Thunder rumbled a symphony of tempestuous timpani.

Then, there was a pause. Silence. The clouds halted in their rotation, as if time came to a pause.

Ker-plow! A great explosion. Blinding. Green and purple fireworks cleared the clouds. The layers of grey evaporated. What looked like purple and green glitter cascaded to the ground below. Nothing was left. No Lady Jacqueline. No more darkness.

The enemy was no more.

The rescue party had achieved the impossible. The sun actually was kissing the dust and mountains in Distress. The air was hot, but its acid burn was blowing away. The dead plants looked less dreary. Shadows were not so monstrous. Light redeemed the darkness of Distress.

But this most dangerous hour was not over, for a princess was still at risk. Gillroy stretched his torso over the side of the wall, trying to get down to Adeline before she lost her strength. His body was so tired and if he reached out too far he might tumble off the slick stones.

"Almost...got you," he mumbled as he stretched to make his every limb longer by sheer force of will. His fingers were just able to tap hers, which was good, but hardly enough. He had to get down to her, but it was growing apparent he was not physically able to do so. His will believed, but his body was incapable. Gill shook his head to dispel the disheartening truth.

Princess Adeline could read the internal struggle on his face. Gill was not going to give up, yet he was not going to save her either. She resigned herself to her fate.

Before she went, she would give Gill the goodbye he deserved.

"It's alright, Gill," the princess serenely said, staring into her darling's dear face. "I love you. You've already saved me."

"I can do it," Gill leaned further forward, risking everything, refusing to listen to her farewell.

"Gill!" she demanded his attention. His green eyes met her baby blues. The sorrow in his face met its opposite in her serenity.

"Adeline, don't!" he insisted, "I haven't travelled halfway across Fairy Tale and fought a dragon to have you slip through my fingers! I love you too much to let you go."

"It's alright," she whispered. "Darling Gill, I love you too."

Her pointer finger lost feeling, sending her rocking down the tiniest bit. She cried out. Gill yelled, "Hang on, Adeline!"

"I would have hung on to you forever, Gill," she replied with growing agony. Adeline could not be stoical with Gill on the verge of hot, hurt tears above her.

"Don't talk like that! Listen to my orders for once, will you? I am coming down there to save you!"

Another two fingers popped off the glassy rock. It would be soon, so very soon now.

"I love you," Adeline repeated, as if she could make up for all the opportunities lost, as if she could fill in all the silent hours coming for him by repeating her heart's only cry.

A few things happened at once, faster than their minds could capture. Adeline's wet and weary fingers gave up their struggle and released their hold on the glassy knob. She plunged too quickly to keep her other hand secure on the wall. Down she went with her skirt and blonde hair flapping. Instinctively, Gillroy lunged forward and caught her wrist, but at the expense of his own safety on solid stone. They would fall headlong together it seemed, broken of body upon impact but one spirit in their suffering. That was the cost of their promise to never part now their love was openly acknowledged.

But death was not the final caller today by some divine miracle. With a jolt, Gillroy and Princess Adeline's descent came to a halt. Jarryd leapt to ensnare Gill's feet as the two were plunging downward. The relief that clicked in Gill and Adeline's eyes, once realization of salvation dawned, was remarkable. Their weeping turned to laughter in an instant.

The unknown prince of Distress had saved them all, the anonymous hero of the first safe day in a new era of Fairy Tale's story.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.4K 57 23
Once upon a time, a married couple had a falling business, so they looked for investors to help save their business. In exchange they traded for thei...
313 8 9
Prince Yandere x Female Reader What the future holds can always be quite the mystery. (Y/N) never thought she would become a well-known stuffed anima...
107 18 8
King Uther of Forland is old and failing. His grandson and heir, Prince Richard, lives the good life: anything that gives him an adrenaline rush. He...
1.5K 139 76
Once upon a time, there was a prince. She was a girl. Tabitha has been raised as a prince her whole life, a role at which she is talented, but has ne...