Fairy Tale Wedding (Book One...

By SarahRWorkman16

What happens when you meet Prince Charming and he isn't "the one" for you? Princess Adeline of Once-upon-a T... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four: The End

Chapter Twenty-One

2 0 0
By SarahRWorkman16

The rescue party felt surprised to find the land of Distress so... well, peaceful. The three humans and horses did not stop their race to Lady Jacqueline's country until finally they crossed its border. Their pace never slackened, night or day. The news the Shadow Person brought was horrible enough to keep haste flowing through the group's minds and bodies. They had to get to Distress before the worst occurred; before Princess Adeline became the wife of Lady Jacqueline's son.

Now that the six brave creatures were finally within the borders of their destination, they felt somewhat scared to find Distress a rather quiet land. The place was dark and the air burned their lungs, but, in the main, the kingdom was dreary. An attitude of apathy overshadowed all other feelings. This appearance of sluggishness worried Gill, for he knew such an appearance of lack of defense could not be trusted. He had to resist the temptation to think this rescue was actually going to be easy. He knew Lady Jacqueline had to have some trick waiting for them, sooner or later.

"Alright," Gillroy said, squatting next to his companions as they hid behind a great boulder. Lady Jacqueline's castle was in sight, so close and so very haunting now they were in its shadow. Its black, glass exterior came from a nightmare and it did scare the willies out of the rescuers. A little honest fear never killed anyone.

"Getting to Adeline and getting her out of this place before the wedding is our top priority," Gillroy instructed the others. Even though the scene before them was pretty ominous, a fresh excitement was pulsing through his veins. It would be a relief to finally do something on Adeline's behalf.

"Not to contradict you on minor details," Prince Darrik piped up, "But isn't saving Princess Adeline our only priority." Eudora shot him an annoyed look. "Just wondering," Darrik added.

"It's not the only mission here," Knightley said. "Am I right, Gillroy, sir?"

Gill nodded his sandy-coloured head. "No, it isn't. Saving Adeline is only the easy part."

"I dislike your next statement already," Darrik commented. "What is the so much harder part?"

"Vanquishing Lady Jacqueline," Gillroy said. "We came all this way, we might as well see the whole thing through. And really, I don't see another way of saving Princess Adeline without coming up against Her Wickedness. To achieve the one goal, we must defeat the other. We have no choice."

All the horses and humans sat in silence, their stomachs turning sour. No one liked the thought of meeting Lady Jacqueline up close, especially in circumstances where she would be pretty piping hot. The enchantress would not let anyone dash her grand plans for Fairy Tale. Any soul that tried to stop her would face all her fury, and the horrors of her wrath were as yet unknown. Each member of the rescue squad breathed in very deeply. They needed all their courage to accomplish this mission.

"We should split up," Gill said resolutely.

Prince Darrik shut his eyes and groaned, "How did I know you were going to say that?"

"You disapprove?" the steward asked.

"No, no," Darrik said, making sure his gloves were tightly fitted upon his hands, "Just sad to ruin the surprise. Ah well, that's life. Come along, Eudora," he stood while lifting the handmaiden to her feet, "You're coming with me."

"Thanks for asking," Eudora sarcastically smiled. "I'd be glad to play your sidekick, Prince Darrik."

The prince gave the fair lady a boyish wink and took his sword from his belt.

"What should we do," Dark Journey asked his master.

"I want you three to keep an eye on the stables. If you see any dragon activity, you'll have to be quick. It's your responsibility to keep all winged creatures busy, or we humans won't have a fighting chance. Will you do it?" Gill questioned.

The horses nodded with deep reverence. Obeying orders was their cup of tea, even when the duty appeared so impossible. What were horses against dragons, after all?

"But you aren't thinking of going inside Lady Jacqueline's castle on your own," Knightley asked Gillroy, "With no one else to guard you or help you in times of need?"

"Princess Adeline went alone into that castle," Gill said, "And so shall I. But no matter how we go in, I promise, she and I will come out together."

With that, the six companions looked upon one another for what could very well be the last time. They were walking into the heart of evil and none of them knew what lay ahead.

* * *

Princess Adeline could not find a single mirror in the castle. But she had to know what she looked like on her wedding day. She fashioned her hair into a twisted bun on the back of her head. She had no white gown, no flowers and no veil, but no doubt she looked the part of a pure bride. Still, she needed to see for herself, to have a picture for her memory.

"Oh, I know," Adeline told herself. She moved across the dungeon to stand before one of the blood red windows. Her reflection in the glass was slim and exquisite, a lovely bride apart from her tattered gown. True, there was no pomp or splendor as there would have been if she was in Once-upon-a Time, but that didn't matter. It was her wedding day, nonetheless.

"But not quite right, is it," the princess bride said as she gazed into the glass. The red wash over her vision was so disturbing. And yet, Adeline felt it oddly appropriate. There was so much wrong with this wedding, it fairly broke Adeline's heart. Wrong place, wrong gown, wrong mirror, wrong groom.

"Gill would like this," she said. "Simplicity. Just two people and a ceremony." She swallowed tears away. "All that really matters is...love."

Adeline whimpered. She did not love the man she was about to marry. In her heart, she recognized this day was not white. She pitied Jarryd so deeply, but that was not enough. Not enough to cover up and utterly extinguish the vibrancy of her love for her best friend so far away.

"I'm sorry, Gill," Adeline whispered, forlorn. "I wasted so much time."

So this was it. There was no going back. Any life with Gillroy was impossible. Adeline had a prince to marry. There was no reason to keep him waiting.

Beyond the window's glass, something caught Princess Adeline's eye. She placed her palms on the windowpane and looked deeper into the crimson view. Her heart lifted and she smiled. Movement on the outside could mean only one thing...

But after what felt like a million heartbeats, Adeline was forced to admit she could see nothing. No one was outside. Her fingers slipped down, down to her waist. Nothing to see, nothing to look forward to today or any day in the future.

A cough sounded from the doorway. Adeline slowly turned to view the awkward intruder. Jarryd too was dressed in commonplace attire. In his eyes was a tint of expectation, of knowledge that his life was forever changing for the better with the events of this next hour. He came to collect his bride.

"You look quite lovely," he said. Princess Adeline could only smile with a little nod. Jarryd compassionately did not probe her with questions regarding her feelings. He only extended a hand and asked, "Shall we?"

Princess Adeline crossed the room and placed her delicate hand into his strong palm. He gave her a tiny grin and directed their steps toward the chapel. Before they left the room, Adeline chanced one glance over her shoulder to the window. She could not help but hope for some intervention from afar. Some hero to save her and Jarryd.

If only she had seen that the movement outside was indeed Prince Darrik, Eudora and her dear Gillroy infiltrating the fortress to save her life. Though Princess Adeline, on her way to the altar to say "I do"did not know her friends were near, their presence did not go unnoticed. Lady Jacqueline was aware of their penetration in her castle, and she was waiting for them.

"They are here, Your Majesty," the Shadow in the corner informed its mistress, "The humans in the forest, they have come."

Lady Jacqueline stared in front of her without flinching. This news did not appear to upset her. Her eyes only squinted a tad with determination. She did not fear the tiny rescue party now within the walls of her castle. They could not foil her plans; in fact, they were actually moving them along.

For Lady Jacqueline had quite depended on Prince Darrik being one of the rescuers and now that he was present, the second part of her plot to take over Fairy Tale could be implemented. The prince of Ever After was in her grasp and how she planned to choke the life out of him. She already knew how she would do it – it would be an emotional and physical blow. Lady Jacqueline curled her lips into a smirk. Yes, everything was coming together so viciously, deliciously.

"Good work, my wily shadow," her evilness said. "Ah, but I hear footsteps. Away with you!"

The Shadow Person nodded, though of course his invisibleness made it impossible to distinguish, and slinked away. The footsteps Lady Jacqueline heard were those of Princess Adeline and Jarryd approaching the chapel. The sorceress could have writhed in glee if she was that sort of person. She rejoiced to see the pretty princess dismally walking down the corridor. Lady Jacqueline simply loved seeing a gloomy bride.

"My children," she cackled with open arms. "I cannot tell you what good it does me to see you all set to be married. The anticipation of waiting for this day has been such a strain. You have no idea how it was killing me."

"I think I do know how that feels," Princess Adeline said. "I mean, no offense, Jarryd."

The dark groom just nodded. He knew his bride was not thrilled to be part of this ceremony. She was slowly dying, emotionally of course, ever since he made her realize her heart belonged to another. Jarryd was in quite a quandary. He didn't want to make Princess Adeline miserable in marriage, and yet, there was nothing he could do to stop the wedding. His mother determined their fate, and resisting her would be fruitless.

"Well, well, no time like the present, my children," Lady Jacqueline said, pushing Adeline and Jarryd into the chapel. "Remember your 'I dos' now."

"Wait," Princess Adeline cried, grabbing a hard hold of the doorframe. "You aren't going to witness this, mother-in-law of mine?"

"I wouldn't complain, Adeline," Jarryd whispered. His mother glared at her offspring. Jarryd stared at the stones beneath his feet, avoiding her chagrin.

"No, my dear, almost daughter-in-law," Lady Jacqueline replied, "I will not be joining you for this happy occasion. Not quite my style, you see. But I have no doubt all will run smoothly without me," Lady Jacqueline stared into Princess Adeline's eyes with aggressive daring, "Perfectly smoothly, yes?"

Princess Adeline swallowed a lump of soggy intimidation. Her fingers fell from the doorframe. Once again, Adeline wrapped her hand into Jarryd's elbow. She picked her trailing skirt from the floor and proudly tossed her head. "Come on, Jarryd. We shan't let your mother bring a cloud on our day."

"No," he muttered, still looking a little intimidated.

So Princess Adeline and Prince Jarryd walked down the chapel's aisle, down to the end of the long room where a blind warthog was waiting to officiate. The wedding was going to happen. Adeline closed her eyes and inhaled deeply, strengthening her courage one last time before she took the plunge. There was no celebratory music or a smiling audience to warm the room, just the sound of the two, young people's footsteps upon the stone and the old warthog wheezing through his rubbery whiskers. This was not at all what a Fairy Tale wedding was supposed to be.

Lady Jacqueline shut the doors of the chapel and locked the wedding party inside. She was not going to risk the chance of Princess Adeline escaping before she became Jarryd's wife. The enchantress listened at the keyhole for a moment, to ensure the ceremony had begun. As soon as she heard the warthog welcome the imaginary guests to the union of this man and this woman, Lady Jacqueline patted the door and flew away.

Other royals crept within her walls requiring her immediate attention.

* * *

Prince Darrik and Eudora peeped out from behind a corner. This dimly lit corridor was silent. Only a faint howl of acidic breeze could be heard moving through the castle. Prince Darrik, sword still in hand, whispered to the lady behind him,

"Alright, all clear, let's go."

Prince Darrik and Eudora crept around the bend and started moving down the hall. They kept to the shadows, not that there was much light to avoid. It was slow work and not at all an exact science. The rescue party could have no tactics, no plan for getting in and out in record time. There were no maps of Distress' castle, so none of them knew where they were going or precisely how to get out again.

"Something is not right," Eudora said, looking over her shoulder.

"Huh," Darrik asked, not daring to look back at her, "Of course it isn't right. The land is called Distress. I mean, that's just wrong."

Eudora rolled her emerald eyes. "No, that's not what I meant."

"Oh, sorry," Darrik said. "What's not right then?"

"How easy this is," she said. "No guards or servants or anything? I don't believe even Lady Jacqueline is that anti-social."

"You're an expert then on Lady Jacqueline?"

"Well..." Eudora's voice trailed off.

They arrived at the end of the hallway. Before them stood a doorway, only a boring, wooden door, and yet it was quite frightening. Who knew what was on the other side? Prince Darrik reached his gloved fingers towards the doorknob. As his fingertips touched the handle, the door swept open. Eudora and Prince Darrik looked into the darkness before their feet and then at each other.

"That was spooky, but more like what I expected," Prince Darrik commented. He tightened his grip on his sword. "I guess I know what is on the other side."

"Probably," the handmaiden said. "But I trust you, Darrik."

Prince Darrik smiled at her, like the swashbuckler he believed himself to be. There was something wonderful about possessing a lady's faith, especially this lady's faith. His boyish bangs flapped back as he nodded at the open door.

"Then let's face the darkness together, shall we, madam," he asked Eudora.

"For Princess Adeline," she agreed.

Prince Darrik nodded. This was not a vain adventure; they were on a mission to save a princess. He reminded himself showing off to Eudora was not his chief purpose. She was not the most important lady within this castle.

The prince and handmaiden crept with baby steps into the dark room. Once they were inside, the door closed on its own. No way out, not that they expected to find one. It was so dark, though, that absolutely nothing was visible. They heard themselves breathing, faltering breaths that confessed their fear. But there was nothing left to do. They could not see, and so, they could not move.

"Well, this is fun," Darrik stated.

Right then, a torch flickered to life, illuminating the space. They were standing at the bottom of a winding staircase swirling upwards beyond their sight. They were meant to follow these stairs up, up, up to the tower beyond. It would surely lead to a dead end, trapped in the company of their enemy.

Both young people looked up at the stairs and knew the danger ahead. This was not going to be pleasant. The hypothetical chance of facing Lady Jacqueline evaporated into the absolute certainty of meeting her at the top of these stairs. Even though the two were afraid of confronting Fairy Tale's greatest villain, they began to climb the steps, hand in hand, in total silence.

Inside Eudora's head, a dizzying battle was commencing. She did not want to see Lady Jacqueline, the sorceress that destroyed her entire world ten years prior. The associations were too painful. She wasn't ready to face this old enemy.

It seemed like they walked up the stairs forever, spinning around and around until every now and again they had to pause to balance their vision. It made one's head ache, still they continued ever on.

But every journey has its end. They finally made it to the top. A stream of golden light spewed across the grey stones. It was warm against the cold ambiance of the castle.

As they stood outside, their toes barely touching the streaming light, a voice spoke from inside the tower.

"No cause to be shy, my dears. Come in, do. I promise," it giggled gruesomely, "I don't bite. Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha."

That laugh brought feverish trembling to Darrik and Eudora. They hated to be giving the vile woman pleasure, but they had to go inside. It was on behalf of Fairy Tale, of every living creature across the lands. Perhaps they could do something to stop her from bringing darkness and death to the many kingdoms that lived in unconscious peace and merriment.

Prince Darrik squeezed Eudora's hand within his own and bravely walked into the awaiting chamber. Eudora's feet would not move though. It took a slight pull by Darrik's hand to get her fumbling forward.

In the center of the room, Lady Jacqueline stood in black majesty. She smiled at them and her purple eyes quite sparkled. Her tower room was all alight with candles. The black cauldron doubly bubbled its green trouble. And on the large table were all her ancient maps, maps she ruined with her personal editing to make a new realm for her sadistic plans.

"Hello, my dear royal pair," Lady Jacqueline welcomed. "Nice of you to drop by. I get so few visitors, you know."

"Gee, I wonder why," Prince Darrik said.

"Such a funny boy," the enchantress said. "Creature Magazine got it right for once; you are charming, my little prince."

Prince Darrik swung his sword around and pointed it towards Lady Jacqueline's chest. "Where is Princess Adeline?"

Lady Jacqueline ignored the sword before her. She merely lifted one finger and waved it back and forth.

"Ah, ah, ah, Prince Darrik. I think the rule is one princess at a time. Whatever would your fangirls say, you rogue."

The prince looked at her with wrinkled eyebrows, "What are you talking about, lady?"

Lady Jacqueline paused with vicious drama. Her purple gaze landed upon Eudora. The brunette beauty stood firm, yet Distress' queen could sense the young woman's cowering courage.

"Perhaps you should ask your friend what I mean, Prince Darrik. I believe she knows my meaning quite perfectly," Lady Jacqueline said.

Prince Darrik turned to Eudora. It startled him to see her still staring at their enemy. The handmaiden was growing pale. Darrik let go of her hand.

"Eudora?" he questioned.

The gorgeous girl that had won the heart of this prince could not answer him. Her eyes filled with tears and her lips squeezed together in an effort to contain her emotions.

"It has been a long time, hasn't it Eudora, dear," Lady Jacqueline said. "Since you and I have seen one another, face to face that is. We can hardly count the fall of Rainbow's End as a meeting, can we?"

"The fall of Rainbow's End. Right. You said you were a refugee," Prince Darrik broke in, trying to follow this conversation.

Lady Jacqueline tossed her hands out of her enormous sleeves so she could better cross her arms over her chest. "Oh yes, she was a refugee. She had more reason than anyone else to flee Rainbow's End, or should I say Dark and Stormy, as it then became?"

Eudora's lips quivered. She breathed through her nose, quick and shaky. Through watery lashes, she glared at the wicked woman.

"And while we are naming things properly, perhaps we should extend it to you," Lady Jacqueline said, "Princess Eudora, of Rainbow's End."

Prince Darrik stepped back from Eudora's side. A little color drained from his cheeks too. He stared at her, as if for the very first time. His brain was searching every detail of her face, every word she had ever said to him. The pieces were falling into place, her hints and clues to her true identity now making ugly sense.

"I knew you were familiar," Prince Darrik uttered, still working through the maze, "Princess of Rainbow's End?! I figured you were well-born, but...a princess. The princess no one dares to mention. The princess without a name. The Princess of Rainbow's End!"

The horror coming through Darrik's voice struck knife stabs into Eudora's heart. Before they walked inside this room, she was certain of the prince's growing affection. But now, she was no longer sure, and that uncertainty was what hurt her most. This was part of her reason for concealing her identity. The other reason was shame, the most supreme self-loathing known to creaturekind. She brought about the downfall of her kingdom, her one responsibility; it was her fault and no one else's. Eudora became a mere handmaiden because she could not bear herself as the princess who ruined so many happy lives.

"And I suppose," Lady Jacqueline continued, "She also failed to tell you she is my niece." Prince Darrik's huge eyes made the enchantress smirk, "Oh yes, it is true. Not a very nice way for a niece to behave, coming half way across Fairy Tale to foil all her auntie's plans? I think nothing of family, but I'm sure you don't find it an attractive quality in a wife-to-be, do you, Darrik?"

Eudora longed for Prince Darrik to leap to her defense, but he was too confused to do anything. His mouth kept opening and closing, like a fish on dry land, trying to decide what to say to save his heart. He was hardly the person to throw judgment upon the Princess of Rainbow's End. He was a pretty terrible prince; only recently did Darrik consider a throne something more than a bore and a burden. He intended to make a change in the dutiful direction, yet fine intentions did not count in the real world.

"Poor Princess Eudora. Poor Prince Darrik," Lady Jacqueline moaned in mockery. "It can only get worse for you two. Excuse me if I laugh."

Lady Jacqueline's words of foreshadowing were ignored by Darrik and Eudora. The prince's chestnut eyes were glued to his boots. His face was brooding, like a furnace smoking. He was wounded and too bitter to show his pain.

"You should have told me," he mumbled. Eudora turned her head to look upon him at last. She sighed a universe of agony. She so wanted to tell him everything, or, better, for him to somehow know her sad story without her having to say a word. Prince Darrik looked up at her with a blank face, "You could have told me."

Eudora opened her mouth to plead her case, when...

When the royals entered they had noticed a cauldron but paid it no mind. That was a mistake. A strange, green cloud started billowing from its iron blackness. It became a long trail of fog, a glow-in-the-dark green with a lightning-like life of its own. It moved over the book of spells, over the table, over to the tip-top of the ceiling above and crawled down the wall, to sneak towards Prince Darrik's back.

When Eudora was about to speak, her eyes set upon the green cloud. She at once recognized the threat. She tried to cry out, but as in a dreadful dream, her throat would not comply. She could not even croak. Instead, she gasped and pointed at the froth behind Darrik.

The boyish prince whirled around with his sword held vertically in the air. He hardly processed it as a cloud of lime-tint before it took effect. The cloud wooshed at him and forced its way into his nose and mouth. Prince Darrik was too stunned to keep from breathing the poison in. The next moment, he was crumbling to the floor with his eyes rolling backwards. Eudora yelped and caught him in her arms, the two of them falling to the stones beneath. Prince Darrik's eyes were fastened shut. He did not move a muscle. He could not.

Lady Jacqueline threw her arms into the air and screamed a high-pitched hilarity. "Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha," she yelled. "Now Ever After shall be mine, and Once-upon-a Time too. Soon all Fairy Tale will fall to my dominion. I shall be the sole queen and I shall give the citizens of my kingdom the punishment they deserve."

Eudora moved Darrik's brown hair away from his forehead. His skin was growing icy. "Oh no," she muttered. "Please, no."

"Oh yes," Lady Jacqueline responded. "Sorry niecie dear, but nothing you can do will save him now. Enjoy your alone time with your corpse prince. I have more wicked works to attend to."

With that, Lady Jacqueline disappeared in a flash, leaving Eudora alone with the lifeless Prince Darrik lying in her lap. The most desperate hour had dawned.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7K 4 47
I have always been a hopeless romantic, always daydreaming of my prince charming to come, sweep me off my feet and we would ride off into the sunset...
2.5M 144K 50
"As soon as you believe you are a monster is when you become one." After many years of war, the kingdom of Edria is finally in an era of peace--peace...
411 20 14
Adellia has grown up surrounded by rules and regulations. She's been prepped from birth to eventually reside in the throne that has been in her famil...
126 18 8
King Uther of Forland is old and failing. His grandson and heir, Prince Richard, lives the good life: anything that gives him an adrenaline rush. He...