Fairy Tale Wedding (Book One...

By SarahRWorkman16

What happens when you meet Prince Charming and he isn't "the one" for you? Princess Adeline of Once-upon-a T... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four: The End

Chapter Seven

1 0 0
By SarahRWorkman16

The sun rose and set time and again. Days passed. Other walks and talks took place. A friendship formed. Princess Adeline and Prince Darrik's names were coupled in polite conversation. Occupants of the palace said there was a charming change in their princess. Her eyes sparkled and her cheeks held a rosier glow. Could this be? Dare they hope?

Adeline currently sat at the head of a long, oak table of governing representatives, resting her chin on her knuckles, contemplating anything else but the discussion at hand. She imagined Darrik's present activities. He would be on his afternoon ride right about now. How dashing he would look as he raced across the hills and valleys of Once-upon-a Time. Sigh.

Suddenly, the door to the corridor crashed open. Princess Adeline and all her advisors quickly looked in the intruder's direction. There were no guards in sight to apprehend the miscreant. Soon enough all involved understood why.

For there stood Prince Darrik. Bright lights seemed to surround his form in the doorway. His hand held the hilt of his sword in its scabbard with firmness, threatening any that stood in the way of achieving his mission. His brown eyes were aflame with wild determination – like none she had seen there before. His gaze fell on her alone. Princess Adeline lungs stuck to her ribcage, her eyes grew two sizes at least.

"Adeline," Darrik uttered breathlessly.

"Darrik," Adeline called to him. Darrik inhaled a hope bursting breath as she uttered his name. Without even having to brush his bangs from his face, Prince Darrik crossed the distance of the room, causing every head to turn as he passed. Princess Adeline rose from her chair almost in slow motion, though still keeping one hand on the arm of her seat to bolster her courage and strength of mind.

"Darrik, what is the meaning of this," Adeline asked. She fingered the pearls around her neck, aghast. Could this be her moment? Was he not bowing humbly down on one knee just as if the greatest question of all time was about to slip from his lips? Did his gaze of eternal affection not speak louder than words?

"Adeline, it will not do. I can't go on this way any longer," Prince Darrik revolted against polite tradition with a hasty shake of his handsome head. He took her hand from the chair and stroked it fondly with his thumbs.

"Darrik, I don't understand."

"I can't be patient when it comes to matters of the heart. Adeline, darling," he said, "I have loved you since the moment I first set eyes on your remarkable beauty. Since then, I have become even more enchanted with your deep and selfless character, never tiring of putting others above yourself. You are the finest woman I've ever known, and, in my mind, the finest in all of Fairy Tale, past, present or future. I love you, Adeline."

"Oh," was all she was capable of saying in response to his confession.

"Could you love me too, Adeline? Is it possible I may be so blessed?" Darrik begged. His chestnut eyes were big and pathetic; a man in love. She was his dream now; his very joy depended upon her.

Darrik clasped her hand tighter, with added ardency, though thankfully without physical damage.

"Adeline," Darrik said. "Will you marry me? Will you be my queen?"

Adeline gasped. Her blue eyes suddenly filled with tears. She smiled with a blushing dazzle the kingdom had not seen in four years.

"Ahem. Your Majesty," some wise, ancient voice coughed.

"Yes?" Adeline said dreamily. Then, she snapped to attention. All the faces of her government stared at her. They were waiting as patiently as possible, for politicians that is. "Yes. How may I help you?"

It had all been a dream – a day-dream, to be exact. Prince Darrik was not present, nor had he made any life-altering professions. Princess Adeline was still alone in the world. She was nobody's angel.

"We only needed you to close the council meeting, Your Majesty."

"Ah, yes. As Head of this Esteemed Council, I thus decree this meeting is now adjourned. You are thanked and dismissed, my colleagues. Good day to you."

The princess rose from her chair, which caused all in the room to stand to their feet in respectful homage. She curtsied and then sauntered out of the room. Her liveried servants opened the doors as she sought her escape. She could hear the murmur of the officials behind her, quick to voice their comments upon public policy and performance. There was also the pitter-patter of Prewitt's paws upon the palace's marble tiles.

"Might an honest observer make an honest observation," the pug partially asked, partially prepared her for some unsavory judgment.

"I'm going with...no."

"You seem decidedly distracted for the first time in your career, and one cannot help but assume the cause of this state is due to a certain someone new upon the premises."

Princess Adeline grimaced. She did not want to assess her own weaknesses, but she knew Prewitt had a point. Her mind wandered too easily nowadays, and everyone knew why. It would be the worst sort of degradation to be christened "Boy Crazy." There was much more to Adeline than her relation to Prince Darrik. He could not be or ever become her whole world if she was to remain a faithful ruler, always above reproach.

"I'll take care from now on," she promised Prewitt.

"Be sure that you do, dearie," he drolly warned. "We wouldn't want you to go the way of that princess of Rainbow's End. She let her thoughts linger on personal issues instead of public affairs, and look what happened. The land is now Dark and Stormy, devoid of governance and overrun with the worst sort of vermin. Her name has been wiped from history for her sins. I hope you never let Once-upon-a Time fall into a similar state of arrears."

"Never," Adeline gave her vow.

Everyone knew the horror story to which Prewitt referred. The kingdom of Rainbow's End had once been a peaceful country –a land where children frolicked amongst colourful butterflies and minstrels composed impromptu melodies. It was a little countrified, but ever considered a pleasant place to find solitude and smiles.

Then the worst happened. The princess, too proud of her own beauty and accomplishments, ignored the magnitude of watching over her government and its citizens. Laziness disgraced the law and made all enforcement lax. There was no iron fist of authority to keep danger away. So danger had waltzed right in through the evil schemes of the infamous Lady Jacqueline. At the end, the princess was overthrown and darkness allowed to consume the province. The humiliated lady disappeared and was never heard of again. Rainbow's End became known as Dark and Stormy due to one person's refusal to accept her responsibilities.

It was a tragic story to be sure, but served as a fine warning to youthful personages in a similar position. Princess Adeline, surrounded by her good friends, advisors and the wisdom of her father's teaching, would never let such an upheaval come to pass. But what of others? Adeline bit the corner of her lip as she considered the merry prince out on his afternoon gallop. Would Ever After be safe under his rule when one day he became king? A lack of maturity could prove lethal for all involved. Adeline knew this, and yet...

Youth encourages many questions. For Adeline, figuring out a balance between doing one's duty and doing one's self a disservice was beyond her. She clearly overachieved when it came to the kingdom's well-being, but she would never for the world expect others to follow her example. Prince Darrik was not deeply interested in the day-to-day running of Ever After, that was clear. It worried Adeline a little that it didn't worry Darrik. Easily blinded by the prince's eternal enthusiasm, Princess Adeline resolved that his way was perhaps the best. After all, he was always happy, when she could hardly boast as much. He slept soundly every night, didn't he? Was this evidence of peace of mind or a mind devoid of, well, anything important to process?

"Is it necessarily a sign of poor judgment for a ruler to be happy, Prewitt," the princess asked.

The pug halted in his plomping procession. His ears perked a bit with his confusion. He even sniffed the air in search of an answer. Princess Adeline awaited the pug's well considered conclusion, desperate for encouragement. After he rolled his head to one shoulder and then across to the other, Prewitt finally opened his lips and offered his stilted pronouncement.

"I've never heard of it being a crime, but something about a happy ruler absolutely revolts."

Princess Adeline's chin fell to her chest bone with a hollow clunk.

"Great," she huffed. "Well, that's that." Adeline picked up her skirts. "On to our next committee then."

She delicately moved forward down the hallway lined with portraits of other monarchs that came before. None exhibited a winning grin or quiet smile. Her ancestors were all solid with clear eyes that saw the world as it truly was and the role they had to play to keep that world safe.

Swell, Princess Adeline thought, we're doomed.

For the "we're" she contemplated really relied upon Prince Darrik more than anyone else. He was her road to joy, the key to unlocking the prison of her constant affliction. If a happy ruler was considered unacceptable, then he would never merit praise and she would never share in his jubilation.

Of course, all this rested on two questions: Whether or not monarchs could ever find happiness, and if Prince Darrik was truly as happy as he appeared.

* * *

"Oh come on Gillroy, my good man, you can do better than that," Prince Darrik yelled back at the stable's steward. Gillroy was trailing behind Darrik and Knightley, but not because of any lack of courage or ability. He was on bodyguard duty, trusted to keep the prince safe from any and every danger...and knowing the lad from Ever After, danger could not be far behind.

"Just going easy on ol' Dark Journey," Gill fibbed. His trusted horse glared at him with one eye. Gill gave him a wink to let him know he hadn't meant a word. The jet black steed nodded his comprehension.

They both understood it was imperative Darrik never find out that Gillroy was only alongside to babysit. Gill, though fond of riding, did not enjoy a moment of this daily humiliation. He had so many more important things to do than follow a prince at a safe distance and bear his taunting. Gill knew how quickly he could outride Darrik if given the chance, and yet he was not permitted to show it. This was masculine torture. He and Dark Journey had won the Once-upon-a Time Long Distance Hill Race on four different occasions, crossing the finish line minutes ahead of other competitors. Gill would love to leave Darrik eating his dust, but self control restrained him.

Revenge was never sweet past the first minute and the Steward of Her Majesty's Stables knew this truth. Gill could not bring Prince Darrik down a notch or two today. For Gillroy clearly foresaw that a defeated Darrik meant a gloomy Darrik which only led to an upset Adeline.

"Gillroy does have a point, sire," Knightley posed. "We've travelled a long distance in a short amount of time. Perhaps it would be wise to ease the velocity."

"Oh alright, Knightley," Prince Darrik moaned, pulling back on the reigns. "Have it your own way. But I don't want to hear any complaints the day you wake up fat and old, 'cause it will not be my fault."

"Always so considerate," Knightley whispered to Dark Journey, causing his fellow to whinny. Even Gillroy snorted ever so quietly. The foursome trotted together peacefully. Gill had no intention of making conversation. He didn't want to get chummy with the prince or gain insight into why he was the way he was. Likely Gill had judged the royal fellow too quickly, sizing him up in the first moment without any idea of wavering in his view. So be it, Gill thought, let it say what it may about both of us. Bad company can infect your character and Darrik is not going to rub off on me. No way.

"So Gillroy, my good man," the prince said. "I take it you're a chap following in paternal footsteps."

Gill eyed Darrik suspiciously, wondering where the prince was going with this.

"Yes," Gill curtly replied.

"I gathered as much. Poor fellow. I feel your pain. Poor you and poor me."

Great, Gill moaned internally, a pity party.

"Thank you for the display of compassion, Your Majesty, but it's in no way necessary. I enjoy the life I was brought up to; I consider it my calling," Gillroy explained.

Darrik nodded his brunette head sympathetically. He reached out a gloved hand and squeezed the steward's shoulder.

"A strong front," he observed wrongly, "I revere you, Gillroy, more than I can say."

It took a lot for Gill to maintain composure. So, he mustered a smile of false assent. Best let Darrik think he was having a selfless moment. This prince was trying to be understanding and Gill wanted to encourage, rather than discourage, that kind of behavior. Maybe Adeline was bringing about a change in this foolish posterboy after all.

"For my part," Darrik said, "It's a burden, and boy does the whole arrangement stink. Where's the independence, I ask? How can a lad be expected to throw himself into a job if he's got no say in his part to play? It goes against the grain! A man's supposed to find himself by living and learning, but not for a prince. Oh no, he gets a whopping load of learning and then shoved into his life as king whenever Fate takes his father out of the picture. Well, I guess the same thing happened to you."

Now I get it, Gill deduced, this is all about Darrik, again. He almost had me there.

"It was hard at first, I admit," Gill acknowledged. "You can have all the experience and education in the world, but when it's time to stand alone to get the job done it's something altogether different. I missed my dad. It was rough, but people were very understanding. As long as you put your whole heart into it and freely admit you're no expert, everyone under you will be happy to be of service. I'm sure you'll find it so when your day arrives."

Prince Darrik brooded. Gill hadn't said what he wanted to hear. Truth did not tickle his ears. Darrik decided long ago that being king of Ever After was not going to be fun. That was true – ruling a kingdom was not a blast like a parade or party or plunge into a cool pool. The days were long, the demands many and expectations higher than anyone could achieve. Gillroy hadn't denied the state of things, which kind of annoyed Darrik. The Steward of the Stables suggested a humble, open outlook.

That might work for you, Horse Sitter, Darrik thought, but I'm going to be a king, The King of Ever After. A king can't tell people he isn't in complete control or that he doesn't have the answers! Darrik revolted at the emotional imprisonment.

"I suppose things are different when there's a princess on the throne," Prince Darrik said.

"Then you suppose wrong," Gillroy viciously contradicted.

The prince blinked back at Gillroy in astonishment. Was Gill going to finally lay into Darrik with a hugenoremous piece of his mind? Both Knightley and Dark Journey halted in the grass to listen better, no click-clacking of hoofs to block out the argument.

"Okay Prince Darrik, I get it. You aren't fabulously excited about your future as king. It's daunting, yes. But what good is being scared or rebellious going to do? It's not easy for Adeline. She gives the citizens of Once-upon-a Time everything she has to offer and, in their opinion, it is never enough. It is hard to know you have done your duty and yet earned very few people's appreciation. They love her, but they don't appreciate her. You can do your best and still find critics."

"Sounds like a great reward for her efforts," Darrik sneered.

"Come on, Your Majesty, open your privileged eyes," Gill counseled. "There are rewards that come with the job, and I'm not talking luxuries and leisure. Don't you think there is a peaceful satisfaction when you do your duty with a squeaky clean conscience? It's no worries, literally. And it's not like you're totally alone. You'll be surrounded by loyal friends that will stand by, even carry you when you feel you can't make another move. I would hope that is some small compensation."

Dark Journey and Knightley exchanged a look. Knightley's left eye closed a little, wordlessly asking the other steed if he understood the situation aright. Dark Journey opened his eyes wide and nodded. Knightley joined in on the shake of his hairy head. Oh yes, the two horses understood why Gillroy spoke so fervently.

"We are both close observers of monarchy, Gillroy," Darrik stated, at last dispensing of the arrogant and assuming 'my good man.' "Yet I think we will never see eye to eye on this matter."

"No, probably not, which if I may be quite honest..."

Darrik interrupted Gill's sentence, "A bit too late to be asking my permission on that score, don't you think?"

Gill averted his gaze to his gloved hands. He knew he deserved that. He was a servant to Prince Darrik, nothing more. What right did he have to speak freely to a prince, even if his words were true?

"I am sorry if I have offended Your Majesty," Gillroy apologized. Darrik lifted a curious eyebrow. "Really, I am. I wish we could be polite enough acquaintances to honor one another with the common decency of listening to what the other has to say."

"Well said," Knightley praised Gillroy's eloquence and wisdom. The prince rolled his eyes. How was it his horse was a better diplomat than he was? Darrik tightened his grip on the reigns.

"Once-upon-a Time will never cease to amaze me," he said. "I have never witnessed such a fiery spirit in any other people. I don't know if I should pity or praise you." He turned to Gill with a smirk on his face. "Perhaps I'll leave it to your princess."

Gill's brow wrinkled and he bit his tongue, figuratively and literally. There was nothing more worth saying; at least, not to Prince Darrik.

The noises of nature broke their silence. A beating wind, the rustling of trees and crunches of scurrying critters echoed in their ears. These were casual, everyday sounds; sounds that calmed a troubled mind with their dreary ordinariness.

Then, just for a brief flutter, the sunlight vanished into shadow. The sudden darkness was not that of a storm or passing cloud. No, this was deeper, like a more solid figure crossing the sky. Gillroy looked up just as all of creation went back to normal and was once again bathed in brightness.

"Looks like nature is sending us a cue to get back," Darrik said. He patted Knightley's neck. "You've had your breather, old boy, I think. Let's be off, eh?"

"As you wish, sire," Knightley obeyed.

Darrik smiled widely and adjusted himself in the saddle. Horse and rider pranced in a semicircle to assume the appropriate position for their return journey. Gillroy hardly noticed. That momentary hiding of the sun's light still held his curiosity. The hair on the back of his neck was just now drifting down. Something was not right.

"Do you smell that," Gill asked no one in particular. "It smells like...smoke."

Dark Journey's massive nostrils tested the air. "I can almost get a whiff of it, yes."

Darrik grew impatient. "Probably just some cottager burning supper; speaking of which we'll likely miss if you keep dawdling. Come on steward, first to the finish!"

Darrik and Knightley galloped off in the direction of the distant castle. Gillroy sighed. He did not want to leave the spot yet, but he had no choice. There would be no further investigation today, not while he had a job to do for Princess Adeline.

"Let's go home, D.J.," Gill calmly told his trusty steed. Dark Journey shook out his mane, stomped the dirt a few times, then turned to gallop homewards.

As for Gillroy, the return journey would be uneventful, but still disturbing. A sinking suspicion knotted itself in a tangle within the pit of his stomach. Prince Darrik might be the least of his worries if his senses were reliable. The disappearing sun and scent of smoke may not be as common as they seemed. Maybe the beating of the wind had been the beating of wings and the scurrying animals creatures more attune to an unspeakable fear. Gill did not want to put all these clues together, but he knew he must take every precaution if the evidence pointed to the evil-doers he suspected.

Dragons.

And if there were dragons flying over Once-upon-a Time, they could only have come from one place and person.

Lady Jacqueline was up to something in Distress and her eye was fixed on their kingdom.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

150K 2K 39
Everyone with a decent soul loves Disney and has fallen in love with at least one character. Now this oneshot book is your chance to be transported t...
220K 3K 77
[ magic, romance and madness. ] Everyone knew that a romance between a guardian and their protégé always ended in tragedy - yet they risked it. One...
1.5M 47.3K 35
Hate surrounded us. Why wouldn't it after everything that happened in the past? Rhys Archer had already ruined my life once, and he was about to do...