To Deceive A Duke

By vickitickitoria

{Shortlisted for the Wattys 2022} It's 1798 and The Lenoir family controls a significant part of London's dre... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Epilogue

Chapter 50

2.7K 188 11
By vickitickitoria

They sit there for what feels like hours and Clarissa's hands begin to cramp, the wood rubbing against her back no matter how she positions herself. The pain in her ankle and head has lessened but her body is feeling weak, and her mind, numb. Jack's blood has dried into her dress and is sticking to her skin, leaving the tangy scent to hang around her. 

She and George talk in low voices after they unsuccessfully try to free themselves, or think up a viable plan. Part of her is relieved that he is shocked when she tells him of Daniel and Peter's betrayal. At least he is not another betrayer to add to the list. George tries and fails to make excuses for his brother's actions but they fall on deaf ears, and they lapse into silence as the afternoon wears on. 

A few hours later, Daniel gradually regains consciousness as the drug wears off. He is woozy at first but as his mind sharpens he starts to twist and turn, desperate to free himself. He is alarmed to see his brother and wife tied up with him, but George quickly updates him on their arrival, with Clarissa point-blank ignoring him. After George's story, Daniel explains what happened on the streets, how he and Peter were descended on by several men as they turned into an alley and that the rest is a hazy mess. 

Daniel tries to talk to Clariss, but she doesn't even acknowledge his presence. He gives up trying and turns his attention to his bonds, fiddling and squirming in the open. Unfortunately, every move he makes pulls George into the beam and the brothers get into a shouting match as George's hands are being repeatedly crushed by Daniel's escape attempts. They stop trying to wriggle free and try to come up with a plan, however, both of them are getting increasingly agitated and angry as time trickles by, picking fights about everything under the sun. At last, Clarissa intervenes, yelling at them to shut up and luckily they do, falling into complete silence. 

It's about half an hour later when Peter recovers consciousness and Clarissa feels the stirring of his hands by hers as he struggles to sit up properly. 

"What the hell?" He moans, blinking, "Where am I?" 

"A warehouse on Webber Street," George replies. 

"Oh god," Peter groans, "Wait, George? What are you doing here?" His fingers touch the soft small hands of the person he is tied to, "Clarissa?"

"I am here," She says bitterly, "How's your head?" 

"It feels like it is splitting open," He confesses, wincing. 

"It will pass," Daniel states, "Or it will stop when they kill us," 

"Wow, very helpful," George scoffs, "Thank you for your contribution brother, much valued," 

"What happened?" Peter says, turning his head in the direction of George's voice. 

"Jack sold us in," Daniel spits, "The stupid bastard sold out over a petty hatred," 

"Don't be so harsh on him," George says, "The lad is dead," 

"He's dead?" Peter repeats, befuddled "What?" 

"Lestrade shot him," Clarissa murmers, looking at the scarlet stains all over her dress. Disgust crawls into her stomach and she has to close her eyes to fight the nausea. She feels him shake his head. 

"I don't understand, why are we here?" He says to her, "Surely they know that killing us won't give them the power and control they need over our people, The Strand will never be theirs this way." 

There is a weighted silence, broken by George who says, "Clary?" 

Three heads turn towards her the best they can, and she looks at the wooden slats of the floor, her regret resting on her shoulders, "I was wrong about his intention. He doesn't want our territory, he wants to end the Cavendish line," 

"Who does?" Peter says, leaning around the beam. 

"Baines," George says grimly, "He wants revenge on the family that killed his wife," 

"His wife? I don't...how?" Peter stutters, struggling to wrap his head around what is happening. 

"11 years ago our father killed his wife," Daniel reveals, "He is using me in my father's place," 

"Damn," Peter sucks in a breath, "11 years to stew on revenge and plot the demise of your greatest enemy. And Lestrade?" 

"He doesn't strike me as the kind of man that needs much convincing to join a war," George says, "More money and power would be incentive enough," 

"Regardless of why he's a dead man," Daniel vows. 

"Let's concentrate on getting free first," George says, "I think I can get my hands free if I turn this way...." He shifts against the wood, the rope starting to slacken. 

Peter and Daniel join in trying to free themselves, twisting and turning, but Clarissa blocks out the three men, their urgent tones causing her a headache to start thumping, or maybe it's the blow to her head. She only opens her mouth to curse and snap at Peter as his escape attempts jolt her into the beam. He stops trying after she smacks her head on the wood and curses his name to the wind, accepting that their bonds are too tight to undo. 

Somewhile later, Clarissa's ears prick up as she hears the sound of the door opening. The boys hear it too and stop writhing against their bonds, falling silent and looking towards the stairs. 

Baines claps his hands as he comes into view, followed by Lestrade and Tom, "You are all awake, perfect," 

"And you are dead," Daniel snarls. 

Baines just laughs and walking over to Clarissa, flicking out a knife. Her breath catches in her chest and her eyes follow the blade as it dips near her heart. She can hear Daniel and George both yelling but her attention is completely fixed on the knife. It circles her collarbone and then slices down, her bonds falling away. Her legs feel shaky as Baines pulls her to her feet and drags her around to stand in front of the duke. 

Tom takes up position by Peter and Lestrade sticks to his leader's shoulder, stopping about two meters in front of Daniel. Baines rests his chin on Clarissa's shoulder, pouting as he raises the blade and runs it over her throat, not pressing harder enough to cut her but it still makes her hold her breath. She locks her muscles and stands completely still, afraid that any movement could cause him to nick her skin. Daniel's gaze is fixed firmly on the knife as it travels from shoulder to shoulder and back again. 

"What to do with you?" Baines murmers in her ear, "I could cut you in front of him, slice your throat and make him watch you bleed. Do you think he'd cry?"

Clarissa closes her eyes and wills herself not to shake. The blade vanishes and a calloused hand grips her chin as it forcing her to look down. 

"You will look at him," Baines hisses, "LOOK AT HIM!"

She slowly opens her eyes and looks at Daniel, who stares back, fear in his face. 

"Better," Baines praises and then he sneers at the duke, "I've wanted to hurt you for 11 years. 11 years of wishing you dead and finally I have you," He sighs contentedly, "I've often dreamed about how I would hurt,"

"You've dreamt of me?" Daniel snorts, "Can't say I am flattered,"

Lestrade takes a threatening step towards him but Baines waves him off. 

"Now I have a way to hurt you without lifting a finger," He runs a finger down Clarissa's cheek, "Funny how fitting it is," 

Daniel stiffens, "You will have to kill me to defeat me," 

"Ah Cavendish, you are such a fool," Baines says with a disappointed shake of his head, "I would have believed that a month ago, but now you will yield to me if I ask," He signals to Lestrade who steps forward and takes hold of Clarissa's shoulders in his place. 

Baines walks forward and crouches in front of the duke, their faces level, "Because you love her don't you?" He prompts, playing with the knife in his hands. He grins, "And I am guessing you would give up your land for her," 

Clarissa feels her heart skip a beat as the tension in the room rises. Peter mouths something at her and she answers him with a bewildered expression, her eyes wide. Daniel glares at Baines, his face twisted up with no words on his tongue. 

"Let's test it," Lestrade suggests and he raises his pistol to her head. Instantly, her breathing becomes swallower as she feels the cold hard metal pressing into her temple. Peter and George shout, struggling against their ropes but Daniel doesn't move an inch. When his gaze falls on her a flicker of something crosses his face and Baines smirks, pleased with his reaction. 

"It's a pity I don't want your land," He says, standing up and retaking hold of Clarissa, Lestrade stepping aside as he slips his pistol away. 

"Instead, I am going to hurt you like no one else has, or rather Miss Lenoir is." Baines grins, "I bet you are dying to find out how much you mean to her, I certainly am." 

Clarissa's eyebrows rise but she doesn't have time to dwell on her confusion as he spins her around to face him, knocking her chin up with the handle of the blade so that she has to look into his face. 

He grimaces, "I must apologise for involving you in this, it was never my intention. I attacked your ports, underestimating you, and thinking you would attack him without thought, little did I know you would become his greatest weakness," He brushes a stray curl from her face, "I confess I did find it amusing when I heard the rumours that the infamous Duke of Richmond had actually fallen for his wife, but these changes in fate cannot be ignored and I had to see whether it was true. The fact that is it fits so perfectly," 

She daren't show emotion on her face as he talks, but he doesn't seem to mind. He leans forward and whispers in her ear, "Let's play a game then, we will start with an easy one," He pulls back slightly, gaging her reaction, "Kneel," 

She jerks back as though she has been burnt, aghast. His grip tightens on her and he smirks, "Go on," He encourages, "Kneel at my feet,"

"You disgusting bastard," Peter yells, but his shout is cut off as Tom strikes him across the face. The sound of flesh hitting flesh echos around the room but Clarissa doesn't flinch, her steely gaze on the man in front of her. He smiles, letting go of her and stepping back. She doesn't move from her spot, not even blinking. 

"This is the easiest one," He says, after a minute, almost disheartened, "You just have to kneel," 

She holds her nerve, the fight alive in her eyes, standing as still as a statue. Baines sighs, moving past her to crouch at Daniel's side. She spins around and he holds out the knife, hoovering it about Daniel's heart.

"Kneel or I stab him,"

"Angel..." Daniel's face is pained as the tip of the knife lowers to rest on his skin. Baines looks down at him. 

"Do you think she will?" He asks, "Do you think Clarissa Lenoir sacrifice her pride for you?"

Daniel seethes but doesn't answer the question. Baines looks up at her, pressing the tip down, beads of blood appearing on his white shirt. 

"Five seconds," He sings, "Five, four, three, two...."

"Fine," Clarissa hisses, dropping to the floor. 

She sits forward on her knees, her hands held up in surrender and her head lowered. She hears an intake of breath but she doesn't know who it comes from. Baines smirks at her kneeling position, but he nods and lifts up the blade. She exhales in relief, but it is a moment too soon as there is a flash of silver and Baines drags the knife across Daniel's stomach. 

"No," Clarissa cries, falling forward. 

At the sound of his brother's pain, George leaps to the feet, having freed himself from the rope and launches himself onto Baines. By loosen his bonds, he has also managed to free Daniel too, and the duke's hands immediately jump to his wound as he gasps in pain. 

As Baines is tackled from behind, his knife flies from his hand and skids towards Peter, who takes one look at what is happening and kicks Tom hard in the kneecap. The man collapses onto the ground as Lestrade leaps forward to try and assist and free Baines, but the younger Cavendish is holding on like a monkey, trying to force his opponent to the floor. With them distracted, Clarissa springs into action, throwing herself across the floor to grab Baines's knife. She seizes the blade and cuts through Peter's ropes. Free, he leaps onto Tom and starts to punch him into submission. 

She twists around. George is holding up well against the two other men, fighting with all his might. A  particular sharp hook from him causes the pistols tucked into Lestrade's trousers to fall out as he tries to avoid being decked. Seeing them scatter across the floor, Clarissa spies her opportunity and reaches for it. She tries to skirt around the mass of flailing limbs that are Baines, George and Lestrade, but a hard kick hits her in the shoulder and she cries out, dropping the knife and rolling away. Forgetting the knife, she holds her shoulder, gritting her teeth in pain and scanning the floor. 

The nearest pistol is to the right of the three-man fight so she scrambles for it but just as she reaches it Lestrade stumbles backwards and his heel kicks it out of her reach. It flies across the floorboards and falls over the edge and down the stairs. 

"Shit," She says to herself, looking around for the other one. She spots George's pistol under one of the windows, a few feet from her. Ignoring the pain in her shoulder, she staggers towards it. She picks it up and scrambles to her feet just as George is thrown to the floor by Lestrade and Baines manages to free his own pistol. 

"Nobody move," He shouts, pointing it around the room. 

Clarissa freezes, the pistol falling limply at her side. Peter stops fighting and Tom forces against the beam, holding his arm into his throat until he is fighting to breathe. Lestrade wipes the blood from his face and stoops to pick up the abandoned knife. Then, he pulls a defeated and bloodied George to his feet and holds the blade against his neck. Baines glances at Clarissa, and then at the weapon in her hands.

"Give it to me," He demands, holding out his other hand. Her fingers tighten around it. She could take a shot, she could pray and she could try to kill him, but seeing her friend's held at their mercy and her husband nursing a long gash drains any fight out of her. She swallows, and holds out the pistol, about to hand it over, but then she changes direction and throws it. It sails out of the window, slipping under the tarp and falling into the street. She turns back to them, that's at least one less weapon to think about. 

"You bitch!" Lestrade says in disbelief as George coughs on his blood and laughter. 

Baines shakes his head, the first real flash of anger crossing his face, 

"Don't tell me your aim is so bad that you need two pistols to shoot me," Daniel taunts through the pain, still clutching at his stomach. 

Clarissa stops a smile from rising to her lips, this is so not the time for his humour. The blood has spread over his shirt, but it doesn't seem to be gushing out which is a good sign that it might not be deep. Baines looks down at him, slightly bewildered and then he looks to Peter being held against the beam. 

"How odd," He murmers, more to himself than anyone else. He frowns at Daniel, "Your wife had a chance to help you then, knowing you are hurt, but she chose to aid her second instead." He looks genuinely interested as he wonders, "Does she love him more than you? Does she love a mere servant more than her husband?"

Nobody dares to answer him as Clarissa looks between Daniel and Peter and back again. 

"Hmm, next round," Baines's eyes light up, "The husband or the second?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

521K 38.1K 46
Penniless and lacking the looks to attract a worthy husband, Jane Burton is forced to trick a man into marriage to save her family from an uncertain...
To Defend A Duke By Victoria

Historical Fiction

436K 24.1K 40
Four years ago, Evelyn Wright's perfect life as a debutante in London was ripped away from her, and her family moved to the countryside. Since then...
138K 2.5K 77
CAROLINE MATISSE - - - »I'm trained to kill, not to love« I have killed many men in my life. ...
5.2K 806 54
Picture used in book cover by - Lexy I (Pinterest) Trigger warning- Contains violence. ________________________________________ "Lies and secrets ag...