To Deceive A Duke

By vickitickitoria

{Shortlisted for the Wattys 2022} It's 1798 and The Lenoir family controls a significant part of London's dre... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Epilogue

Chapter 35

2.7K 214 13
By vickitickitoria

Daniel and Clarissa share a silent journey to their reception at Stirwell Manor. Neither of them makes an effort to speak, nor wish to start a conversation. As far as they are considered they have just pulled off the act of the century; a fake wedding that has fooled the entire city. No words need to be swapped to know this. Instead, the duke watches the world go by through the window while Clarissa focuses on the wedding band that now rests next to her diamond ring. The last hour of her life is a mere blur in her memory and she can't remember breathing through it. She sneaks peeks at her new husband but his face is like stone, which irritates her greatly. How does one keep their face so blank and closed off from the world? She has little time to ponder the question as the carriage draws to a halt outside Stirwell Manor. 

Due to the efficient planning of Grace Cavendish, the ground house has been transformed into a glittering wedding reception. The colour scheme is the same as Clarissa's dress which means that the whole space is gleaming with white and gold. Blooming white roses are dotted around the lengths of gold lace that stretch around the rooms and curl down the pillars and doorways. It looks like something of a fairytale, magical and bright. 

The summer night provides glorious weather so the party has been extended outside to the large ground where tents and canopies have been pitched and dressed in the same style. The tents around a small square dance floor on the grass, accompanied by a small orchestra, and hanging lanterns light the area in a soft burning glow. 

For the first hour, Clarissa doesn't stop, she and Daniel greet guest and after guest, forging pleasantries and gracefully accepting compliments and praise. They talk to lords and ladies, politicians and government officials, all fighting to have their say. Daniel, quickly, gets visibly bored of them and pulls his new wife onto the indoor dance floor for a waltz. They gather many stares as they dance and Clarissa is grateful when her father cuts in. George then steals her for his promised dance and she finds herself relaxing for the first time today. She laughs at his jests and they swap snide comments about their observers. Daniel has disappeared into the crowds without a word, much to her annoyance, but she refuses to let herself be bothered by his aloof behaviour. 

She has just finished dancing with Samuel Barclay, who badgered her about Catherine the entire time when she grabs a flute of champagne from a passing waiter and sneaks outside before anyone can see her. It's a few hours into the reception and she hasn't seen her husband since he left her on the dance floor. Part of her is glad as she is growing weary and might not be in the best frame of mind to handle his jabs let alone his sinful gazes. On the other hand, leaving her to handle the guests by herself is an unfair decision. 

Outside, she manages to avoid the crowds gathered under the tents and finds a spot under a tree, just to the left of the dance floor. She collapses into a chair and sighs in relief as she frees her feet from the ridiculous heels. She wriggles her toes and relishes the cooling feeling of placing them on the grass. Her neck aches and she is tired but she can feel people watching her so keeps her posture straight and stares straight ahead as though she is watching the couples on the dance floor. A few guests scuttle near her seat but a well-controlled warning glare sends them away. She could suffer through an evening of being perfectly charming to everyone, but tomorrow that will all change, better they know to avoid her now than later. 

"You did it Frenchie,"

Clarissa looks up to see Lord Mathew standing over her, dressed to the nines in a cream suit with silver buttons. She smiles widely and he grins back, taking the chair next to her.

"I did what exactly?" She asks, raising an eyebrow. 

"You said you'd do better than the second cousin and you've gone and married the heir," He says, the admiration shining through his tone, "That's impressive,"

"That was never my intention, but aren't you mad now that I am duchess and you are a meagre little lord?" She teases, playfully nudging his arm. He shoves her away, shaking his head.

"There is nothing little about me," He insists.

"No, of course, my mistake," Clarissa rolls her eyes and then glances around for his betrothed, "Where is Jane?"

Mathew's face grows moody, "She's inside with her parents, they aren't letting me spend much time with her at events," He grumbles, "Apparently I am a "negative influence,"

His fingers mark the quotations in the air as he pulls a face. 

"You? Never," She snorts. He smirks and follows her eyes as they land on a group of gossiping ladies, all watching her with conspiratorial grins behind their hands. She resists the urge to glower at them, they can't be much older than her and yet they look at her with such hostility and indifference. 

"It's just for tonight," He says, drawing her attention away from them. 

"Pardon?" She blinks and looks over at him. He gestures to their observers.

"Tonight they will stare and talk, never giving you a moment's rest, but tomorrow you will be an undisputed duchess, with more power and money than them combined and there's nothing they can do about it. They feel stronger because they are in a group, but they will address you one and one. And if they do, you could always hide away in Cavendish's massive house and never talk to anyone ever again."

At the mention, Clarissa's mind wanders to the expansive halls of Lygon Place, her new home. It is the grandest place she has ever seen and now it is to be her home, just like that, no questions asked. She is glad that Alice is coming with her, one friendly face will help her to survive the long corridors and many flights of stairs. A few hushed whispers from the group of girls carry across the garden and she scowls.

"But why do they even care?" She asks suddenly, "What is so fascinating about me that they have nothing better to do tonight, than stare and whisper?"

Mathew gives her a patronising look, "You aren't that naive, you know this how the ton work, they exchange gossip and reak havoc. You have also snapped up the most desirable bachelor since Jasper Harrington, they are annoyed and jealous of you, but now that you are titled they cannot harm you with more than petty rumours and pathetic glances." He stretches in his seat, "I for one, cannot wait to move Jane to the country,"

"You'd leave London?"

"In a heartbeat, I have no care for it anymore."

"And Jane, she would willingly go?"

"Jane hates it here, she lacks friends and her parents are stifling. She is a gentle soul who needs the sleepy country life and I will give it to her," He sits up in his chair, "Here she comes now,"

Clarissa follows his direction to where the tiny auburn-haired girl has left the main ballroom,  following her parents who are in a deep conversation. Poor Jane looks bored and lost and the sad expression does not suit her petite features. Her parents stop under one of the canopies and watch the dancing, not having noticed Clarissa and Mathew opposite them across the dance floor. Jane stands behind her parents, looking at the grass, her eyes dead and expression lifeless. 

An idea pops into Clarissa's head and she leans closer to Mathew, not taking her eyes of the Monroe's, "They don't approve of you, you say?" 

He shakes his head, grumbling, "My money is the only reason they are letting me marry her, it's too good an opportunity to pass up,"

"Hmm, well maybe I can use my newly gained power for good," She says, a wicked glint in her eye. He casts a wary look at her mischievous smile.

"What power?"

"Why, my influence as a duchess of course," She says, slipping her heels back onto her feet. They scream in protest but she ignores the pain as she stands. She looks over her shoulder as she skirts around the dance floor towards the far tent, giving her friend a confident and reassuring nod. 

Lady Monroe is the first to spot her heading over and she nudges her husband in warning. He blinks as she stops in front of them, a blinding smile on her face. 

"Lord and Lady Monroe, it is such a pleasure," Clarissa says, emphatically. The couple swap alarmed looks as they bow to her while Jane offers her a small smile and she returns it encouragingly. 

"I am sorry your grace, have we been introduced?" Lord Monroe asks tentatively. Clarissa laughs lightly and tries to look apologetic, brushing a strand of her hair from her face to show off the heavy diamond and wedding band on her finger. 

"Oh I apologise, only my father speaks so highly of you, and dear Jane gushes about her wonderful parents all the time. I know it's dreadfully impropriety, but I just had to say hello,"

"You know our Jane?" Lady Monroe glances at her daughter in shock.

Clarissa fakes surprise, raising a hand to her chest, "But of course, she is to marry one of my oldest friends and I am so delighted for them."

"Your oldest friends?" Lord Monroe repeats, looking bewildered.

"Lord Mathew," Clarissa smiles, "He dotes on her and it's so sweet!"

"Really?" Lady Monroe frowns, unconvinced.

"Yes, and I believe he is longing for a dance," Clarissa hints non too subtly. Life and excitement rush back into Jane's face and she looks to her mother and father, hope swimming in her eyes.

"May I?" She pleads. 

Clarissa fixes Lord Monroe with an expectant stare and he crumbles under the weight of it. 

"You may," He sighs. Jane squeals in delight, she takes Clarissa's hand and beams.

"Thank you, your grace, thank you," She cries before hurrying towards Mathew, who is still slumped in his chair.  Clarissa watches the shock on his face turn to surprise, then he cracks a grin and leads the way for his fiancé. He gives Clarissa a nod of gratitude just before he disappears inside. She is feeling quite content with herself as she turns back to the Monroe's.

"It was a pleasure to meet you," She says. She hears them mutter goodbyes but she is already walking in the direction of the house. 

The party is still raging despite the later hour, with many people dancing merrily. She hovers by the doorway, needing an escape if anyone tries to talk to her. Fortunately, people smile and congratulate her but do not linger for pleasantries. The alcohol has reached the systems of most, and polite conversations are not on people's do to lists. She edges deeper into the ballroom, ready to turn and run in case someone proposes a dance or to talk. 

Celeste is standing with her husband as Clarissa passes her and seizes her arm, lighting pulling her away. 

"Clarissa," Celeste chimes as she is led towards one of the windows, "Are you well? I feel like I have barely seen you all eve,"

"I was having a moment to myself, I've been hidden by layers of lords and ladies for most of this evening," Clarissa replies, disgruntled, "Suddenly my wellbeing is at the centre of their minds,"

"And Daniel?" Celeste searches the crowds for his face but she can't spot him. Clarissa doesn't even bother to look.

"He's hidden too," Clarissa says, non-plussed, "Why aren't you dancing? Aren't you feeling well?"

Celeste's hand fall to her stomach, there is a slight curve to her stomach under the pink chiffon but it is not noticeable yet. "I am tired but well, pregnancy does that to you,"

"Have you told Rufus yet?" 

Both girls glance over to where Lord Lincon has found a few friends and is chatting happily. He gives them a little wave when he feels them watching him. The sisters wave back and the younger one has to fight to contain her amusement. Rufus might not be the brightest, but he has a charmingly sweet personality under it all.

"You should tell him, he's going to be delighted," Clarissa gives her sister a small poke, "Go tell him,"

Celeste seems too nervous and she starts to shake her head, "No, no I can't, he's with his friends,"

"And you are his wife," Clarissa encourages, "Go tell him,"

She turns Celeste in the right direction and shoves her in the back, forcing her to step forward. Celeste sighs, looking apprehensive but she walks over to her husband and with a smile steals him away from his friends. Clarissa watches as her sister departs her news and she smiles as Rufus's face lights up and he pulls his wife into his arm and swings her around. The guests near them move back and mutter but the happy couple doesn't care, they talk animatedly and he plasters her face with kisses.

Satisfied with her work Clarissa slips off to the side, taking some vol au vents from a passing waiter. She is sneaking the small morsels of food into her mouth when hands capture her waist and she almost chokes on the light pastry. She clears her throat and turns in Daniel's arms. She won't admit it but she is glad he is finally recognising her presence and at her side, she would hate to have to do something drastic to be noticed. On second thought, punching him in the face sounds rather fun.....

He smirks down at her, "I just saw you," 

 She feigns surprise, "At my own wedding reception? What madness."

He smiles ruefully, "You looked awfully pleased with yourself, what have you done, angel?"

"Oh, I was just helping a friend,"

"A friend?"

"A friend," 

He sighs, knowing he won't get any more details out of her, "Do you want to leave?"

Her expression reads that she thinks it's doubtful that they can. 

He rests his chin on her shoulder, "My mother can handle our guests. I am tired of forcing conversation and pretending not to notice when people talk about me. I imagine you are too."

"But what will they think?" 

"They will think that we are very eager to consummate our marriage," His breath tickles her neck and then he removes his arms from her and offers his hand. She blushes at his suggestive words and glances at the ground, needing a minute to compose herself before she replies. When she looks up, there is a challenge in her eyes. 

"If only they knew the truth, eh?" She takes his hand and he offers her a dashingly delicious grin. Her heels mean that she only has to rise on her tiptoes to reach his lips but instead she presses a light kiss to his cheek.

"Get me the hell out of here," She mutters as she pulls away. 

He grins and wastes no time in pulling her towards the door. He yanks her through the crowds, thanking the wellwishers and smiling politely. She remembers to look excited as he carves a direct path to the door but for the first time today, she isn't faking it. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18.6K 1.2K 11
[ONC 2023 SHORTLISTER] Prompt 63: A rivalry between two coworkers has unforeseen consequences. *** Down on her luck with a string of 12 unfateful hea...
159K 5.8K 42
Highest Ranking #512 in Romance The song itself held so much meaning to our situation, so I committed it to memory, remembering each step and exactly...
199K 4.5K 42
"You will tell me everything I want to know beautiful," He whispered and bit the soft flesh near my neck. "Go fuck yourself," I said in a breathy vo...
392K 9.7K 51
[COMPLETED] #Ranks : #14 on 30/11/18 (category : Ex) #17 on 29/6/19 ( category : adultromance) #57 on 29/6/19 ( category: Suspense) Excerpt : "I can...