Humanity's Butterfly

By ShinyUmbreon1243

After being sent into an S class mission by the 5th Hokage, Sunako Uchiha, one of the few surviving members o... More

Prologue (SLIGHT EDITED)
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Filler Chapter: Visiting the 104th Cadets
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Filler Chapter #2: Sunako's Sunny Side Battle
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Filler Chapter #3: Tea Battle
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Filler Chapter #4: Unveiling the Butterfly
Chapter 21
Chapter 22

Chapter 11

10.2K 341 120
By ShinyUmbreon1243

Levi blinked his eyes for a bit, gazing around his surroundings using his eyes only. Erwin, Mike, and Hange are with him but they're not Erwin's office anymore. By just a glance, they concluded that they were in some sort of hospice based on the people that passed them by who wore either white coats or white uniforms and white caps. However, they also seemed to notice the green flak jacket most individuals wear while others wore the normal kind of clothing which raised a questionable eyebrow.

Levi turned around only to find a man and a woman, both have raven black hair as the man has a red and white fan-like crest proudly shown on the back of his green flak jacket, looking over a room through an interior glass window. A worried expression on the woman's face as the woman in question has her hand on the glass window. The man beside her held her close, his face stoic but there was a hint of worry in his onyx eyes.

The others soon followed in what they assumed was a married couple. Usually, Levi wouldn't pay any mind to those two but that is when his grey orbs caught a familiar butterfly hairpin on the woman's half-bun. If anything, the woman looked similar to Sunako. Speaking of the petite, raven-haired woman, where was she?

"She'll be okay, right?" The woman asked her husband, her eyes focused on the other side of the glass. They could hear the anxiousness coming from the woman's tone.

"She'll be fine. After all, if it wasn't for Lady Tsunade coming back to Konoha, Sunako would not have made it." The man said, reassuring his wife.

"Despite our clans being at war a long time ago, I consider Lady Tsunade a dear friend of mine." The woman stated.

Their conversation raised some eyebrows. They never heard of a place called 'Konoha' before. Clans at war a long time ago? What do they mean that Sunako wouldn't make it had it not for Lady Tsunade?

Curious, they peeked towards the glass window only for them to be surprised at the sight, their eyes expanded a bit. On the other side of the glass window was a baby, surrounded by a green-like aura around the body. With the baby was another woman whom they assumed was Lady Tsunade, her hand hovering above the baby's body.

'That baby... was Sunako?' Levi thought, frowning. His grey orbs looking at the state of his second-in-command body when she was only a baby. He then glanced at the man and woman looking over the baby and concluded that they're Sunako's biological parents.

'So these are Sunako's memories.' Erwin thought. They then heard footsteps coming this way, turning their head to see another woman with bluish-dark hair wearing a white gown, a doctor, approaching.

"Uchiha-San, may I speak with you both? It's about your daughter." She asked.

Both parents turn their attention from their baby to the doctor before, pausing for a moment before nodding. The others listened closely to what the doctor has to say to them. They were quite confused as to why Sunako was surrounded by a green-like aura.

"Apparently, there were some complications during Rukia-san's labor which made your daughter born 1 month early from the expected date. As you know, it was a very crucial time in pregnancy, especially for the baby's internal development. Due to complications of your daughter's birth, your daughter's chakra pathways were still underdeveloped and very fragile that she may not handle the large amount of chakra in her pathways. We're very fortunate that Lady Tsunade returned to the village to regulate your daughter's chakra pathways, otherwise, she would be at a higher risk." The doctor explained.

Erwin furrowed his brows thoughtfully. From what he could understand, if it hadn't been this Lady Tsunade, then Sunako's life would be at risk and may not have survived had Lady Tsunade didn't regulate this, what she called 'chakra pathways'. It made him question even more so. What are chakra and chakra pathways anyway?

"How long does she need to regulate?" The woman, Rukia, asked the doctor.

"A few days, weeks at most. Until your daughter's chakra pathways circulate normally, she'll have to stay in the hospital before she goes with you. There's also a possibility that she'll have some aftereffects from her birth." The doctor informed. The man glanced down at his wife before averting his stoic gaze to the doctor in front of them and nodded in understanding.

"Thank you, we'll keep that in mind." The doctor bows before turning her heel and leave. Rukia turned her attention to her daughter with worried eyes, as the man let out an inaudible sigh. He gripped his wife's shoulder a bit. "Rukia, you go rest in the room, you've done well."

"But Hyousuke-"

"There's no need to tire yourself more than what your body can handle after delivery. I'll watch over her, so go and rest." The man, Hyousuke, firmly interjects. However, there's a certain gentleness when he spoke despite his stoic disposition. They watch as Rukia sighed before accepting her husband's words, leaving one concerning look to her daughter before leaving to her room.

Hyousuke was left alone, his onyx eyes lingering over his sickly daughter. Raising his hand and placing it on the glass window. Levi could see his stoic facade melted away bit by bit, replacing with an anxious but determined look on his face as he stared at his daughter. Hyousuke knows that she's fighting for her life, fighting to live. "Keep fighting, Sunako. No matter what, don't give up... my little wisteria." He muttered words of encouragement under his breath, in hopes that his only daughter would hear him.

They heard his words as if trying to reach his daughter before averting their gaze to Sunako. Except for Levi who stared at the man that is Sunako's biological father before following the others who looked through the window. He now knew where she got her stubbornness and determination from.

The surroundings change from a hospice to that of a traditional home.
---------------------------------------------

The house was dark with only the moon as a source of light which indicates it was nighttime.

They then heard a young boy's voice and turn to see a boy cradling a baby whose they recognize as Sunako. They assumed that Sunako fought through and was able to get home. The boy had a gentle look in his onyx eyes, staring down at the baby girl, who still crying. In a way, they could spot the facial similarities between Sunako and the boy. It would also seem that their parents are not at home yet.

"There, there, no need to cry. Nii-san is here now." The boy, whom they presume to be Sunako's elder brother, comforted her as her cries started to seized, calming down. "That's it! Don't worry, Nii-San will be here to protect you no matter what."

They watched how Sunako had a peaceful look on her face after being comforted as the scene around them started to change.
---------------------------------------------

Here, they saw people running in a panic. They then saw Rukia running as well, holding a very young Sunako's hand. It would seem that they skipped a few years. Levi's eyes narrowed slightly, seeing the look of terror in her eyes. They were confused at what they're seeing until they heard people yelling with a fear-stricken look on their faces.

"It's the Kyuubi!"

"Run, you idiot!"

Glancing behind, their eyes widen slightly when they saw a giant fox with nine tails, its eyes glowing red as if in rage. It looked bigger than the Colossal Titan itself. They watched how this 'Kyuubi destroyed every building in its way as if in a rampage. They watched how multiple people died by either debris or tried to subdue the giant beast. They observed how Rukia and Sunako were being led to safety and were assured by Hyousuke that Sunako's elder brother, Daisuke, is safe somewhere.

The aftermath was tragic, many homes were destroyed, many lives were lost. To think that something like that existed. Yet, how come they never heard of it?
---------------------------------------------

Their surroundings then changed again. There they saw Sunako, looking no older than 5, was training with her father. They were a bit surprised to see someone so young started training. They could see the scratches and dirt she maintained, watched how she fell to the ground but stood up again. Her exhaustion was evident on her face but her eyes held determination.

"Lighten your feet more! Faster!" Hyousuke firmly said as Sunako did as she was told. Moving her body out of the way from an incoming punch. Balling her small fist, she tried to hit her father but her father easily block her punch. They watched how she threw multiple punches and saw how she was getting frustrated.

However, they noticed something about Sunako's training, which confirmed Levi's suspicions. She's lacking in physical strength, that's why her training was more on speed rather than physical strength. He suspected that it was the work of her chakra that her cut was precise and deep.

They continued to watch her training day after day with either her father or her brother as the scene then changed to her home again, to which they saw Sunako reading books. Just by a glance at the covers, they assumed that it was medical-related. Sunako's head snapped up from her book when she heard a chirping sound nearby. Curious, she put her book down and making her way to her mother's garden where she heard it before looking down to see a little bird, trying to flap one of its wings but was unable to.

The girl gently picked the bird up, returning to her spot. She placed the injured bird on the wooden floor before hovering her hands on its wing. Her small hands started to glow green, shocking Erwin, Hange, and Mike before being fascinated by what she was doing. Levi, on the other hand, already knew that she was actually healing the bird. Unbeknownst to them, Rukia walked in and saw her young daughter healing the little bird as the green aura died down.

The bird tested its wing again before flying away. The young girl let out a happy smile when she heard her mother calling her, "Sunako."

Sunako turned around, her face lighting up. "I healed it, Okasan! Did you see that?"

Rukia had a soft smile on her face before nodding. Before they knew it, they were now standing on a large gate. Standing before Rukia and the 5-year-old girl was the same blonde woman who treated Sunako when she was a baby, beside the woman was a teenage girl with short jet-black hair and onyx black eyes.

"Thank you for doing this, Lady Tsunade." Rukia thanked her gratefully.

"It's alright. I think it's only good that she'll be training under me." Lady Tsunade said. Rukia had a thankful smile on her knees before turning to her daughter and crouch to her level. The young girl was confused a bit as Rukia then explained to her. "Sunako, you'll be staying with Lady Tsunade and Shizune-Nee-San and going away from the village for a bit. Lady Tsunade will teach you as much as she can but you have to promise me that you'll be good and listen to what she's teaching you, okay?"

Sunako nodded in understanding. "Hai, Okasan."

With that, Sunako went with Lady Tsunade and the black-haired teen, Shizune, as she held the latter's hand. The young girl looked back and wave as Rukia waved back although, with a sad smile on her face. But this a decision that she has to make for her daughter's sake.

Erwin, Levi, Hange, and Mike observed Sunako's medical training. From reading anatomy scrolls to healing a dead fish back to life with Shizune's assistance when the girl asked. Although, Sunako may have impressed Tsunade and was considered a prodigy and have extreme delicate chakra control, Tsunade cannot teach Sunako the strength of a hundred seal. Simply because of her fragile chakra pathways that are still underdeveloped for her age and are currently developing. However, Tsunade encouraged the young girl to meditate daily and monitored her pathways. Under Tsunade's guidance, At such a young age, Sunako developed her own fighting style that Levi was very much familiar with, that attacks her opponent's pressure points.

They also oversaw Tsunade's gambling habit, much to some of their amusement. What's surprising is that Tsunade is actually older than what she looked. In a few months, Sunako returned to their village with Rukia waiting for her by the gate. They observed that even after Sunako returned, she continued to train with her father and brother as well as her medical training.
---------------------------------------------

Some time has passed and the scenery changed again, this time they're in front of a large building, directly at the base of the mountain where 4 faces were shown. Many parents stood at the side as multiple children were present, including Sunako. The children looked nothing more than 8 years old, in contrast to Sunako who seemed to be the youngest in the batch at 6 years old.

Before them, standing on a podium, looked to be a middle-aged man wearing white and red robes along with a white and red had with some writing on the hat. He also has a dark brown goatee. Beside the man were adults wearing a green flak jacket. "Congratulations on your acceptance into the Academy, everyone! From this day forth, do your best to reach your goals to become a shinobi."

'Shinobi?' Levi thought, his brow raised a bit. The others thought the same as well. Their surroundings changed to that of a classroom as one of the adults beside the middle-aged man stood before the children, to which they now know he's actually one of the teachers.

"I'm sure some of you have already been taught in your households... But here at the Academy, you will also train to coordinate and work together as a team when you are in a group. The fundamentals are very important, make sure you learn them well."

They continued to observe the children handling a black dagger-to which Levi was very familiar with- throwing at their respective targets. However, Sunako hit all of her kunai on the center of the target, much to the astonishment of her peers. Despite being the youngest of her batch, she showed promised and excelled more among her peers. They come to realize that in this village that Sunako grew up in, children are raised to be child soldiers.

What's more surprising throughout her memories was that she doesn't sport the usual smile on her face, instead, her face was frowning, her brows furrowed condescendingly. She held more emotion than the Sunako they've known. They've wondered what happened for the Sunako they know to change.
---------------------------------------------

If there something they noticed about Sunako's family or 'clan' is what they heard, is that they're all really good looking. At this point, Hange was very much fascinated by their perfect genes more and more that she wanted to study Sunako herself. After 1 year at the academy, Sunako met 2 boys while she was training by herself, Itachi and Shisui.

One of them happens to be the heir of the clan and Sunako's distant cousin. They watch how the two got along with Sunako and in her delight, even offered training with her. At some point in their training, the young girl was exhausted using much of her chakra. Luckily, Daisuke was there to catch her and take her home after saying farewell to Itachi and Shisui.

Daisuke was carrying an exhausted Sunako on his back, much to the young girl's embarrassment, as they walk home after a long day of training. "You don't have to carry me, Nii-San. I can just walk on my own." Sunako said, frowning with a subtle red flush on her cheeks indicating how embarrassed she is.

"Oh? If I recall, weren't you the one who tired yourself out for using much of your chakra?" Daisuke asked, smugly. The girl frowned even more so, puffing out her cheek and pouted making Daisuke chuckled in amusement. Hange cooed at how cute Sunako is when she pouted while Erwin and Mike had a look of amusement. Levi had a small twitch on his lips before quickly returning to his usual facade.

"It's not wrong for you to train, it's actually admirable that you're training hard to become strong but every once in a while you need to rest. Remember what Otosan said?" Daisuke glanced at his little sister.

"A ninja must know one's limits in order to overcome those limits and become stronger." Sunako recited.

"Exactly. You shouldn't feel embarrassed either, after all, that's my duty as an elder sibling." Daisuke said, letting out a grin.

Sunako frowned a bit. "Just you wait, I'll master our clan's jutsu and be a genin once I graduate and then I'll awaken my Sharingan just like Itachi, Shisui, and even you, Nii-San."

'Sharingan?' Erwin questioned with a raised brow.

"Is that so..." Daisuke trailed. Levi spotted a flash of sadness in his eyes before it was gone. "Well then, I'll look forward to it."

"However," Daisuke added, "while our Sharingan is part of our bloodline and what sets our clan from the others. By awakening the Sharingan, it grants the user an incredible advantage and power to fight. But it was that power that it makes us proud and arrogant, and most often seeking for more. Promise me something, Sunako, when you awaken the Sharingan, use it to serve the village and protect others from harm."

The girl looked at him before nodding. "Okay, I promise, Nii-San."
---------------------------------------

They watched as Sunako trying to conjure up her family's jutsu, many times she tried that it failed so often that it made Sunako feel frustrated. They observed her interaction with her mother who imparted a piece of advice with patience as the mother and daughter took care of the garden. The sight was absolutely breathtaking. The flowers were vibrant and beautiful, pleasing to the eyes. Levi glanced at the wisteria tree before looking at the 7-year-old girl before thinking back of the Sunako he knew.

What her mother said was right about Sunako, she is like the wisteria tree.

After that, Sunako was more patient with herself, she continued to meditate day after day as she tried to conjure her family's Jutsu. After multiple fails, a small flame shoots from her mouth, much to their surprise. Sunako's eyes lightened up when she saw the progress before continuing to train more to perfect her Jutsu.

"Training hard, my dear?" Sunako turned around only for her eyes to lit up when she saw an old woman approaching her, using her cane as assistance due to her old age. "Obaasan!"

They watched Sunako running up to the old woman. Based on the girl's expression, they assume that this old woman is her grandmother. The girl assisted the old woman as they sat down on the grass. "I hope I haven't been intruding your training, my dear."

Sunako shook her head. "No, Baasan, you're not intruding at all." She politely replied.

"Oh, don't lie, my dear, many people hated their training to be interrupted that includes our clansmen. I should know." Her grandmother spoke back. "Are you working on a Jutsu?"

"Hai! I'm trying to perfect our clan's Jutsu."

"Ah, yes, that Jutsu. I remember working on perfecting that jutsu back when I was your age, maybe younger. Your father is rather stupid for not overseeing your training, don't know why my granddaughter, your mother, ended up with him. Sticking a pole up on his ass in front of others. If anything, they're all the same, the lot of them. Shame for him, I get to see how my dear youngest granddaughter doing in her training." Her grandmother said, her words were shrewd, as Sunako sweatdropped at the old woman's insult towards her father.

"Uh, it's not that, Obaasan, you see, I chose to train by myself since Otosan thinks that I'm not ready to learn our clan's jutsu but I want to prove to him that I can do it like Nii-San, Shisui, and Itachi." The girl explained as her grandmother listened attentively.

"Ah, I was like that as well, women from our clan back in my day are treated as secondary class. Not given much opportunity than to play housewife for our husbands and children and to be groomed as what a woman should and shouldn't do. To say that our clan was patriarchal to some extent." Her grandmother said, there was a sense of nostalgia in her eyes when she recalled.

"That was before Konohagakure was created, right Obaasan?" Sunako questioned.

"Correct, my dear." Her grandmother confirmed, much to their surprise. "I'm glad you weren't born in that era. Then again I wish you did. You could've seen how Madara, Hashirama, or even his brother, Tobirama, aren't what they seem to be in mere books. If anything, you could've seen how Madara and Hashirama squabble like children and don't even get me started on Tobirama. If he wasn't a Senju, I would've mistaken him as one of our clansmen. Sticking his pole up his ass like your father and most of our clansmen. I would have also thought of him to be older than his older brother. My dear, if you ever find a man like your father, I don't know how long I could bear to see my grandchildren marrying someone with a stick up on his ass."

Hange covered her mouth, trying very hard not to laugh so hard while glancing at Levi. Mike let out a smirk of amusement as Erwin coughed to hide his laughter, glancing at Levi. But back to the point, this old woman lived for that long? Come to think of it, she was much older than the old women from her clan. She must've been the oldest living woman of her clan. "He's a clever man, your Father. I've known a great many clever men. I've outlived them all. You know why? I ignored them."

Hange snickered at that statement, glancing at the three men who seemed to have been hit by the old woman's wit. Both Mike and Erwin had a sweat dropped while Levi's eyebrow twitched slightly at that. 'Troublesome old woman.' He thought. Now they know where Sunako got her wittiness from.

The scenery shifted to see Sunako running up to her father who was reading through a newspaper and drinking green tea. "Otosan! Please watch me, I can do it this time."

"I told you before, Sunako. It's too soon for you to-" Hyousuke glanced up from his newspaper to see his daughter's determined face. There are 2 patches on the sides, lower from her cheeks. There are also burnt marks on her mouth, indicating that she has been training hard. With a sigh, he agreed to go and watch her.

Their surroundings changed to that of a lake, as Sunako and Hyousuke stood at the dock. With a determined look, she went through the hand signs, chanting, "Katon: Gōkakyū no Jutsu!" A fire-shaped orb shoots out from her mouth like a stream.

They looked on in astonishment when they saw it with their own eyes, coming from Sunako as the flames died down. Sunako turned to look at her father with expectant eyes as her father remained stoic, before raising his hand and placed it on Sunako's head gently as if patting her head. "That's my girl."

Sunako's onyx eyes expanded at the praise, gazing up slightly to her father. Hyousuke had a small, subtle smile on his face before returning to his stoic facade. "You've done well. Work hard and you'll make the Uchiha name proud, bringing honor to the crest you wore on your back. Come, I believe a Dango would suffice your accomplishment."

Hyousuke turned his heel and left as Sunako's onyx eyes lingered, wiping the tears away furiously. Her father hardly gives any praise, to hear him say that made her chest swell up before letting out a grin on her face before following her father.
---------------------------------------------

"Graduates! You will now be assigned missions from the village. We'll be forming three-man teams led by one jonin... and you will be undertaking your mission under their guidance. And now, I will announce the teams!" The teacher said. One by one, he started announcing the teams.

A couple of years passed as they watched Sunako becoming stronger. It was no surprise that she was the top of the class amongst her peers, seeing as she was also top 1 when she trained as a cadet a few years ago. However, during the years, she, unfortunately, has acquired a number of fanboys, much to her annoyance and dismay. Levi clicked his tongue and scowled at how the boys from her class or even other classes ogle at her as Hange let out a sly teasing grin while Erwin and Mike were amused. Seems like even in her home, she was admired by many boys and couldn't blame them honestly.

They're starting to learn more about this village's culture through Sunako's memories, such as the band that was tied on Sunako's head symbolizes where their allegiance lies but there are also questions that were left unanswered.

"Hyuga Himari, Sugasawa Kawahiko, and Uchiha Sunako. You will be team 9, led by Hisagita Kashida."

Levi raised a brow at this before glancing at Sunako's teammates. The boy, Kawahiko, seemed to be skeptical for someone to be her teammate while the girl, Himari, seemed to be the calm person but is she blind?

After the team announcing, the new graduates went out to probably eat lunch somewhere. Just as Sunako was about to leave the classroom as well, she was then approached by Himari who tapped on her shoulder and called, "Hey Sunako-San, wanna have lunch with me?"

They observed how Sunako was taken aback by this, blinking several times. In all honesty, they don't blame her to be surprised. They've also witnessed the distrust and skepticism others have towards her and her family, in a way, she doesn't have many friends. To find this girl asking her to eat lunch was a surprise for the girl.

Sunako nodded as they walk out together to eat lunch somewhere. Their surroundings change to outside where Sunako and Himari sat under a tree, silently eating lunch. The silence broke when Sunako curiously asked, "why... did you want to have lunch with me?"

Himari's pupiless white eyes turn to look at the girl. Her onyx eyes stare at her with such curiosity. Himari's eyes glanced down, laying her hands on top of her lap. "I know we haven't really interacted with each other due to our clan rivalry. But seeing as we're going to be teammates, I wanted to see for myself the type of person you really are, and maybe we can become friends."

"Really?"

Himari nodded. "We're both part of branch families of the main family of our clan, yet you strive to be a strong Kunoichi despite your weakness. I, on the other hand, was taught to serve and protect the main family because it is my duty. Still, I'd really like for us to be friends, Sunako-San."

Sunako stared at her with wide eyes before her lips twitched upwards. "You know, if we're gonna be friends, let's drop the formalities and just call me Sunako."

Himari let out a giggle. "Alright then, Sunako-Chan." Sunako blinked at this before the two started to laugh as they witnessed Sunako's friendship with a Hyuga sparked.
---------------------------------------------

They continued to watch Sunako's team, also known as team 9, doing and completing missions assigned to them and training with each other. In all honesty, they're a bit disappointed that the majority of these so-called missions are simply chores, except for the demon cat, Tora. They don't know how Sunako's team handles that demon cat. Himari and Sunako have grown closer to each other, Kashida didn't seem to mind and treated his students equally. The only problem was the boy, Kawahiko, Sunako was all too aware of her teammate's skepticism towards her due to the Kyuubi attack several years ago.

They were, of course, surprised when veins popped out on each side of Himari's face near her eyes when team 9 formed and started training together. They came to learn that this was Himari's ability and learned more about her clan. Apparently, members of the branch family are to serve and protect the main family. The seal that was placed on her forehead gave the main house absolute control over the branch members and it also made sure the secret of their ability, the Byakugan is what was called, to be kept safe.

Knowing about this disgusted Levi. How the branch families were treated and how they immediately became essentially servants, simply because of their birth order or heritage.

It didn't take long for them to be sent on a mission outside of the village to the wind country. They are to escort a merchant to a place called 'Sunagakure' which was a 3 days journey from Konoha and another 3 days to return to the village.

As Sunako's team journeyed on foot to Sunagakure. They were then ambushed by a number of bandits, to which the team engaged. They watch as team 9 worked together to fought off the bandits while protecting their client at the same time.

"Hakke Sanjūni Shō!" Himari, with her byakugan activated, fought 2 bandits as the bandits staggered at her hits. strikes after strikes leaving no room for the bandits to retaliate. "2 palms!... 4 palms!... 8 palms!... 16 palms!... 32 palms!"

The two bandits went limp after such consecutive strikes from the Hyuga. Meanwhile, Sunako took down her side of bandits, using her speed to overwhelm them and pressing their pressure points rendering them paralyzed. Kawahiko was able to hold them off on his own, however, a bandit was able to sneak up behind him with a sword in hand as the bandit was about to bring his sword down to the boy.

A shuriken was then thrown, knocking the sword out of his hand. Using this moment of surprise, Kawahiko brought him down. The boy saw Sunako was the one who threw her shuriken to save him, but he didn't have time to think about it as they fought off more of the bandits.

After successfully fighting off the bandits, they apprehended them and tied them up before heading on their way.

It seemed like an endless desert the moment they arrived at the land of wind. But for Erwin, Hange, Mike, and Levi, it was a new experience. It was the first time they saw such vast fields of sand as the team finally stopped at the cliffs of rocks that were guarded by people wearing a somewhat different outfit compared to those from Konoha.

Their attire consists of blue or black uniforms underneath flak jackets of various shades of beige. Headpieces consisting of a head-wrap and cloth neck-covers to protect against the harsh weather.

Sunako's team didn't linger any longer as their mission is done and started to head back after dropping off their client safely. As they traveled back, Sunako's ears picked up the sound of growling as she turns to look at Kawahiko who tried his best to hide his hunger. Shaking her head and sighing, she grabbed her traveling bag, shuffling through the contents of her bag which piqued Kawahiko's curiosity, his dark eyes glancing at what the small girl is doing. She then pulled out a triangular formed white rice and gave it to him. "Here. You're hungry aren't you?"

Kawahiko was taken aback at her gesture. "Huh? How did you-"

"Your not good at hiding your expressions. I could also hear your stomach growling and growling that it's annoying." Sunako bluntly cut him off before he even asked.

'Suna's as blunt as ever even when she was young.' Hange thought, amused at how Sunako attained her bluntness and honesty from when she was young. Levi inwardly sighed while Erwin and Mike smirked a bit.

Kawahiko hesitantly grabbed the triangular white rice from Sunako's hand, his dark eyes glancing at the small girl. His perception towards the Uchiha started to change due to his teammate despite her sharp tongue at times. He looked down at the rice ball before breaking it in half and offered Sunako the other half. The small girl blinked several times before looking at the auburn-haired boy with questioning onyx eyes.

"I can't be the only one who's hungry, besides you look too skinny for someone younger than me so take it and eat." Kawahiko reasoned. Sunako grabbed half of the white rice, her eyes glancing at the auburn-haired boy whose eating his half. Her lips quirked up a bit before taking a bite of the white rice.
---------------------------------------------

They continued to oversee Sunako's bond with her team as Kawahiko's skepticism slowly fades away and started to trust his teammate more and more. And there came a promotional exam called the Chunin exams. Sunako's team along with other teams from other villages attended the exam.

From what they could learn, these exams are an opportunity for genin to be promoted to chunin. The exam structure and evaluation processes differ from one exam to the next so that genin cannot come prepared. At least that would be fair. The exams that are open to all villages started being held bi-annually, with villages taking turns for hosting responsibilities. These shared exams improve relations between the villages, present up-and-coming ninja to clients, and create a gambling opportunity.

That should explain why many teams from different villages arrived in Konoha. In order to enter, they have to be part of a three-man team but from what they heard from Sunako, Itachi was the exception of that rule due to unfortunate circumstances.

The first stage was an hour-long written test of ten questions. Their proctor is an intimidating individual, his eyes calculative around those who participated. Sunako wasn't seated with any of her teammates at the moment. She read through the first nine questions and her brows furrowed in suspicion, they seem to be too difficult for an average genin to be able to answer. Her onyx eyes discreetly scanned the applicants in the room before noticing the others doing different ways to gain the answers for the questions, even she spotted Himari using her byakugan.

Levi narrowed his eyes, glancing briefly at the chunins on the side who are writing on clipboards. He and Erwin were perplexed at first before a thought dawned on them followed by Hange and Mike. The real objective of the test is to cheat. Even though Sunako also figured out the main objective, she didn't cheat, instead, she quickly wrote down the answers for the questions on the test.

It didn't surprise Erwin or Levi for that matter, after all, Sunako is smart for her own good. Many applicants were called and got disqualified as it went on. Then came the tenth and last question. However, They are first warned that, if they answer the question incorrectly, they will not be allowed to take the exams ever again; if they forfeit - which also disqualifies the rest of their team - before hearing the question, they will be allowed to retake the exams another time.

With that warning, a portion of applicants started heading out of the classroom, signifying their forfeit. Sunako looked straight at Kawahiko- who looked ready to stand up and forfeit. He was taken aback by her determination before nodding and stayed seated. The proctor gazed at the remaining participants and hummed seeing the average number of genin staying. "The first exam... you have passed it!"

This shocked everyone in the room, confusion among the participants as to how when their proctor explained. The first 9 questions tested their information gathering skills, to see if they could gather information without getting caught which explains how they were given five chances to cheat. The last question was to test their determination and bravery since on the mission field, there are missions that you can't avoid even if it costs the life of your comrades or yourself. Those who can't put their lives on the line for an uncertain future are not worthy of becoming chunin.
---------------------------------------------

The remaining participants who passed the first stage stood out of the gate that led to the forest that was called training ground 44, also known as the Forest of Death. The forest gave off an eerily feel, almost reminding them of the Forest of Giant Trees.

The proctor for the second stage briefs the objective of the second stage. The test was more on survival as it is structured to have at least some of the participants eliminated whether or not they're from different villages. The teams were first given a consent form to sign from responsibility for any injuries or deaths due to the natural hazards of the forest such as man-eating beasts and poisonous plants, the absence of services or outside assistance, and the likely conflict with other teams, and were either given a heaven scroll or an earth scroll. They only have to spend five days for the entire team to reach the building in the center of the forest with both scrolls in hand for them to pass the second stage but they cannot open the scroll till they reached the tower.

The more they listened to the proctor, the more it reminds them of the Forest of Giant Trees except more dangerous. It's a fitting name for a forest to be called the Forest of Death. They oversaw Sunako's team being led to their gate as they enter the forest.

It didn't take long for them to hear screams in the air, meeting a team's end. Since they were given a heaven scroll, Team 9 are now searching for an earth scroll. They either have to search for one hidden around the forest or take it from other teams. Thanks to Himari's byakugan, they were able to find an earth scroll hidden very well in the tree, as they set out to fin the tower located at the center of the forest.

After fighting man-eating beasts and other teams that chose to steal the scroll, they finally arrive at the tower before their five days are up. Upon Opening both scrolls, a chunin appears in a puff of smoke, congratulating them for passing the second stage.
-------------------------------------------

Standing on the battlefield was Sunako and a shinobi from Sunagakure as they face off one another. Her team stood at the sidelines, cheering their teammate on as Kashida and the rest of the others who are of the same rank as him observed this fight, along with the leader of the village, the Third Hokage.

This was the third and final stage to which the remaining participants who passed and survived the second stage are to face each other in an elimination battle.

The shinobi from Sunagakure slightly blushed before fading away as he readied his stance, his hand on his pouch. Sunako slightly frowned and inwardly groaned in dismay but a thought came into mind before going into her stance. Levi's eyebrow twitched in annoyance, scowling even. Apparently, this brat also came to like the small girl despite the relationship of their villages.

Once the referee gave the signal to start the match, the Suna-nin then threw multiple shurikens at her as she immediately deflected them with her kunai. The suna-nin charged towards her and aimed a kick as she bends her back to avoid the kick from her face. Sunako backflipped to give them space, throwing her kunai at the Suna-nin, who dodged the incoming kunai, before going through hand signs.

"Katon: Gōkakyū no Jutsu!" She then shoots a fire-shaped orb from her mouth towards her opponent. Her opponent jumped out of the way as her attack hit the wall. the young girl quickly charged at him with two of her fingers extended to aim her opponent's pressure points.

They watched how her opponent barely managed to avoid her fast attacks from hitting his pressure point, quickly jumping away from her, and started doing hand signs before chanting, "Fūton: Kūdan" he then shoots multiple air bullets towards the small girl in an intense speed.

With no time to waste, Sunako immediately moved to dodge as many air bullets as she can while some were able to graze her skin, making it bleed upon slight contact but she paid no mind. The small girl then leaps up, going through her pouch before throwing a small sphere wrapped in paper, releasing smoke on the ground rendering her opponent unable to see her next move.

Sunako's lips quirked up into a smirk when she found her opponent just standing there, not moving as if in a trance when it's clear that he has fallen into her illusion. Landing on the ground, she swiftly moved behind him, pressing pressure points on his shoulders and back as collapses on the ground with a grunt, releasing him from her illusion while the smoke dissipates. His head made contact to the hard ground as he became unconscious.

The referee then announced the victor of the match as medics came in and took them away for the next match up to start. Though Sunako is a medic herself, the medics for the chunin exams were persistent to treat the grazes she earned before watching the other's matchups.
---------------------------------------------

Sunako held up a green flak jacket, showing it to her team. "Congratulations, Sunako." Kashida said. Himari also extended her congratulation to her friend, happy that her teammate passed the exam while Kawahiko crossed his arms, a bit envious of her.

After the Chunin exams, Sunako was promoted to Chunin by the Third Hokage due to her performance that showed qualities of her skills of becoming a Chunin and was given a green flak jacket to indicate her promotion. It became a surprise for Erwin that Sunako was promoted to a higher level at a young age, then again there's also her distant cousin, Itachi who became Chunin at a young age as well and currently serves as covert operatives known as Anbu.

However, the reaction she received from her clansmen wasn't very pleasant. Because she wasn't able to awaken her Sharingan, many of her clansmen looked down on her. Muttering among themselves whenever she walked by. Her sharp hearing could still hear their words.

"How pitiful. She showed promise and skill but without the Sharingan, who knows how long will she live."

"How was she even promoted without even awakening the Sharingan."

"She wouldn't last long if that girl ever faces powerful shinobi from different nations."

Although her clansmen looked down on her due to not awakening the Sharingan. She paid no mind to their comments. With or without the Sharingan, she will fight with everything she got.

Levi narrowed his eyes, clicking his tongue in annoyance that even her own clan looked down on her strength simply because she hasn't awakened the Sharingan. He, for one, witnessed how she was doing just fine fighting without the use of her Sharingan. Her family are proud of her achievement, even though her father kept his stoic facade, they could assume that Hyousuke was swelling in pride towards his daughter. Her two close friends, Shisui and Itachi congratulated her promotion and commended how she passed the Chunin exam without the Sharingan.

"Thanks, Himari." Sunako said, her onyx eyes glanced at her auburn teammate who has his arms crossed, pouting a bit. A mischievous glint was shown in her onyx eyes and a taunting smirk went up to her face. "Oh? What's this? Is Kawahiko jealous?" She teased.

Kawahiko immediately turns his head away, a slight flush came into his cheeks when he got called out. "Ha! No way! I'm not Jealous at all!" He denied furiously.

"Yeah, sure, whatever you say." Sunako continued to tease.

"Just you wait! I'll also become Chunin and wipe that smug off of your face!"

"If you're gonna become Chunin, why don't you work on your sleeping habits since you seem to like oversleeping a lot along with your tardiness."

The two of them began to bicker with each other as they watch. Hange was snickering as Mike cough to hide his laughter. Seems like even the younger Sunako can argue just fine like their Sunako. It even reminded the times when they witnessed Sunako and Levi's arguments that Hange could've sworn that they're arguing like a married couple.

Sunako's bond with her team hasn't changed one bit even when she got promoted. They observed how Sunako wants them to get stronger and be promoted to chunin as well despite her sharp tongue and bickering with Kawahiko. She gives them another chance to get back up and try again during their training sessions. All was well until a certain event happened.
---------------------------------------------

They watch Sunako holding Kawahiko's body as she desperately tried to stop the bleeding. Kawahiko was bleeding heavily from the gash on his torso after they witnessed him protecting Sunako from an incoming attack. They also witnessed Himari being stabbed by the enemy, blood spilling out of her mouth as she fell to the hard ground.

Levi could see Sunako's horror and grief in her onyx eyes, tears welling up in her eyes as her dying teammates urged her to run away. Her hair shadowed her eyes when they saw her enemy approaching her with a kunai on hand with a smirk on his face.

'Move, you brat!' Levi thought. As her enemy raised his kunai to do the final blow but all they see was blood splattering. He fell to his side as the small girl stood up after gently putting Kawahiko's lifeless body down. She stood in front of her enemy, her eyes glowing red with rage, two tomoes now circling her blood-red eyes while splattered was on her face. Holding her kunai tightly, there they saw the small girl stabbed him on his chest, his blood pouring out as he laid there, lifeless.

They continued to watch her slaughtering the rest of her enemies one by one, trapping them into the dense part of the forest before killing them. She was absolutely ruthless, murdering them without an ounce of hesitation or mercy with her eyes blazing red. However, Levi knew she was grieving, she was grieving, she wanted to avenge her team. It was there that they saw the extent of it, all her enemies fallen dead by one small girl. Throughout the first memories they saw, this was the first time she killed a person or people for that matter. But this won't be the last time they would ever see her killing someone.
---------------------------------------------

Sunako stood at the cliffside at the edge of the forest. After she got out of the hospice, she immediately went to the cemetery where her team were laid to rest.

They were no strangers to death. Seeing the cemetery of the many fallen shinobi made them think of their fallen comrades. Their comrades would've had a proper burial, but with Titans around, they couldn't do much.

The wind blew her long, raven hair as she stared blankly at the falling waterfalls. Levi's eyes narrowed at the blankness in her eyes, the same blankness he saw when she almost got eaten by a titan, the same blankness when Erwin told her the true mission behind their recent failed expedition.

She was hurting, grieving over the loss of her comrades. They knew that all too well to count the number of lives they lost in their expeditions.

"So this is where you've been." Sunako turned her head to look for the owner of the voice when she saw Shisui. "I hope you're not thinking of jumping off the cliff."

Sunako shook her. "No, not really." She said. Shisui approached the girl, standing next to her as they looked on. It was silent between them with only the sound of the waterfalls and the wind.

"Does it ever stop?" Shisui glanced at his friend. "The pain of losing your team, the guilt of how you could've stopped their deaths? Does it?" Sunako asked.

"No, it doesn't." Shisui replied.

"But I do know how that felt like." Shisui added, looking straight at the waterfalls. "I also lost a friend of mine on a mission. I withhold aid at a critical moment that led to his death. If I hadn't been so envious of his ability and could've come to his aid, he would still be alive today. The Mangekyo Sharingan that I now bear is a reminder of my remorse for what I did and vowed to myself that I would never succumb to such feelings ever again."

Shisui turns to look at Sunako, his eyes determined. "The pain won't stop but it's natural to feel such pain. At some point, you just gotta have to live with it."

"I see..." Sunako said, understanding evident on her face. "By the way, when are you or Itachi are going to tell me?"

"Tell you what?" Shisui asked.

"That our clan is planning a Coup d'état"
---------------------------------------------

The three of them- Itachi, Sunako, and Shisui- panted. They've been sparring together for quite some time now with their Sharingan activated. "How's that! Sunako and I got more wins than you now!" Shisui said.

"You're right. Guess I lose." Itachi admitted. Their eyes shifted from red to their onyx color as Shisui walked up to him followed by Sunako. "Well if you hadn't been so lost in thought, then this may have ended differently." Shisui said. He extended his index and middle finger to him as Itachi did the same. From what they remember, this is a seal of reconciliation, showing that they're still comrades after their spar.

"You noticed that, huh?" Shisui offered his hand as Itachi stood up.

"Not just him." Sunako voiced out, with her arms crossed. "Come on, Itachi, how long have we known you?"

Shisui's face then turned serious. "We know what this is about."

The scenery shifted to the same cliffside, at the edge of the forest as the sunsets. Shisui sat on a rock with Sunako sanding on the side between her two friends as Itachi explained to them.

"So I take it, it didn't go well." Shisui said.

"I'm sorry." Itachi apologized.

"Don't be. You did everything you could, right? You did accomplish in delaying their plan." Sunako said. Shisui agreed with her statement. Erwin knew Sunako was a very observant girl, she was all too aware of what is going on with her clan. With all the distrust their clan received, it was only a matter of time before they won't stay quiet.

"This is a coup by our entire clan. We always knew it wouldn't be easy to dissuade them. Their will to make this happen is much stronger than we anticipated. That said, delaying the plan is still a great result." Shisui said.

"And how about you? You said you were going to try and find some allies." Itachi questioned. Shisui's face turned solemn. "Aside from Daisuke, I'm afraid it's not going well. For better or for worse, they're part of the Uchiha clan, so their bond is strong."

"My side isn't going well either." Sunako said, frowning in disappointment. Itachi frowned at the news as well to which Shisui saw their expression.

"Oh come on. Don't give me that look." Shisui said. "Remember, this is you, me, and Sunako that we're talking about."

He stood up from the rock he was sitting on and approached the two of them, putting his hands on their shoulders in reassurance and smiled. "So don't worry. It'll be fine."

Their lips quirked up into a smile from his reassurance. From what they could see, Shisui is the one who kept them together when times are difficult. He then pulled his hand away, crossing his arms together. "In any case, you guys keep an eye out and work from the inside. I'll work on finding another..."

"Nii-San!" Shisui was interrupted when they heard a young boy's voice calling out. They turn to see a young boy running up to them, waving his hand up. He has the same onyx eyes as them and spiky black hair with a blue tint. His hair is long and has hung over his face as bangs. His hair somewhat resembled a duck's behind. He wore a long-sleeved, high-collared, black shirt, white short reaching to his knees. His ankles were wrapped in bandages and wore blue sandals. They recognized the boy due to the times Sunako spends time with her two friends, to be Itachi's younger brother and Sunako's distant cousin, Sasuke. "Hey! Nii-San."

Sasuke stopped in front of them. "There you are. I've been looking everywhere for you." His gaze then turns towards Shisui and Sunako. "...oh, um."

"Yo." Shisui greeted, followed by Sunako. "Nice to see you again, Sasuke." Sunako said.

"Shisui-San! Sunako-nee-San!" His eyes lightened up when he saw the both of them with a smile on his face.

"Sasuke, what are you doing out here?" Itachi questioned his younger brother but Sasuke seemed to be more intent on what they're talking about just now. "Hey, what were you two talking about, anyway? I want to know!"

Itachi was taken aback but quickly covered it. "You're still too young to know about that."

Sasuke frowned, pouted at the response he received from his elder brother to which Hange couldn't help but coo at his face. "Aww, what's that about? I'm not part of the group now?" Itachi then pokes his forehead as Sasuke staggered back. Levi's eyes expanded slightly when he saw the familiar notion.

"Forgive me, Sasuke. Maybe next time." Sasuke looked up to his elder brother, his hands holding his forehead. "Nii-San, you always say that... awww..."

Levi subconsciously raises his hand to his forehead, remembering that Sunako did the same thing to him. He also spotted Sunako doing the same notion to Eren when she didn't have time. Shisui let out a grin at their interaction while Sunako's lips quirked up into a fond smile.

"Good grief." Shisui said, his face filled with mirth at the sight before walking towards him. "What a horrible brother to leave Sasuke out of everything like that."

He put his hand on the boy's shoulder and winked. "All right, Sasuke. I'll tell you then."

Erwin raised an eyebrow at this. Sasuke turned to look up at Shisui with a smile on his face. "Really? You're the best Shisui-San!"

Both Sunako and Itachi blinked at this. They didn't think that Shisui would share this information with Sasuke. Shisui knelt down to Sasuke's height, bringing the boy closer with his back turned to them. "You see... We were just talking about which of us is stronger, me or your brother."

"Huh?"

"I mean, I know I'm a lot stronger than he is. But he just won't accept the truth and Sunako here couldn't decide which one of us is stronger." Sunako's eyebrow twitched at this as Shisui let out a sigh. "Well, tell me, Sasuke. You know the truth, don't you? That I'm a lot stronger than he is..."

"No, you're not!" Sasuke denied.

"Oh?"

"It's true, you're strong but... but Nii-San is still way stronger than you!"

"Oh really? But I am older than he is, so I only think it's natural to assume that I'm..."

"Age has nothing to do with being a shinobi!"

"But, you know, don't forget I have the Sharingan."

"Nii-San has the Sharingan, too! So he won't lose to you, Shisui-San! So will Sunako-Nee-San!" The boy then turns over his shoulder to look at his brother. "Isn't that right, Nii-San?"

Itachi glanced at Shisui who's snickering silently for putting him in a tough situation. He turned to Sunako who held her hands up indicating that she has nothing to do with it. Sasuke walked up to him as Shisui stood up. "Hey, Nii-San. Go on, tell him! You're stronger than Shisui-San right?"

"Th..that's"

"How about you, Sunako-Nee-San? Nii-San is stronger than Shisui-San, right?" Sasuke turned his attention to Sunako.

"E-eh? That's..."

They looked on amused at how both Sunako and Itachi were unable to answer the boy. Sights like these are precious and felt nice actually. Reminding them how there are children like Sasuke who are innocent from the cruel world.
---------------------------------------

Both Sunako and Itachi stood before Shisui while he has his back facing them and began to explain. "It's too late to stop the coup d'état by the Uchiha. If civil war breaks out in Konohagakure, other nations are sure to attack... which means a full-scale war. I was going to try to stop the coup d'état with Kotoamatsukami, but... lord Danzo took my right eye..." Shisui then turns to face them, revealing his missing eye as blood ran down from his cheek. They could see the shock on Sunako's face but Levi can tell she was deeply angered towards the village elder, her small fist subtly clenched at this. It was a shock to them when they saw Shisui missing his right eye and blood leaking out of his eye socket. To think that this village elder, Danzo would do this when he clearly has the best interest for the village in mind. Noticing this, Itachi touched her shoulder, indicating her to calm down as the small, preteen girl sag a bit.

"He doesn't trust me. He intends to protect the Village his own way, no matter what it takes or how it looks. I suspect he'll come after my left eye as well. So I want to give it to you, Itachi, before he has a chance." Shisui turned to look at the young girl and giving her a nod. She went towards him as he leaned down for Sunako to reach him. She reaches towards his left eye, her other hand glowing green to ease the pain. She was hesitant but with a reassuring smile, she proceeded the procedure. They watch as Sunako then pulls his remaining left eye out of his eye socket.

"You're the only other person I can count on with this, my best friend. Please protect the village, Sunako... and the honor of the Uchiha name. And Sunako, don't be hard on yourself. Protect your peace, rise above any injustice. Do not allow anyone steal your reason for living." Shisui said, his lips quirked into a smile as blood poured out from his eye socket, fully blind. Sunako look at him, downcast, hearing his request to Itachi and gave an affirmative answer to his wishes. The wind blew gently on them as a black crow flew towards them from the moon-lit night sky. Sunako has her bloodied hand out with Shisui's left eye as the crow slowed down, flying close to it before dispersing into feathers, much to their surprise.

"I accept it." Itachi said. Onyx eyes turn red with three tomoe circling his red eyes. Sunako frowned, unsure of what is Shisui's next move. "What will you do now?" She asked.

Shisui then took a step back. "If I die, several circumstances will change. I've left behind a note already..." Their eyes expanded when it dawned on them as both Sunako and Itachi saw what he was going to do.

"Wait, Shisui!"

"Don't stop me, Sunako, Itachi." He said, his feet was an inch away from the cliff. The female preteen looked at him, despair evident on her face. Shisui gave out one final smile before leaning back. Sunako immediately ran forward, her arm stretch out, reaching to grab Shisui's hand as tears stream down from her face.

Fingertips brushed against his but in vain, he fell off from the cliff out of the preteen's reach. Itachi grabs Sunako before she could follow after him as the young girl cried in anguish. "Shisui!" She called as both of them watch their friend fall and submerged into the dark waters, to his death.

They looked in the ground, their face solemn to see another great soldier perish. Levi listened to the preteen's cries of despair and loss. She lost another one of her close friends.
---------------------------------------

Days have passed since Shisui's passing. Things have changed for Sunako. For one, her relationship with her distant cousin has changed. They saw how Itachi started to push her away as if it wasn't her business. The coup still rising. What's most notable was Sunako. The shine in her Onyx eyes started to dull, her face was cold and sullen. Levi knew that she was still grieving. Not only did her team die, her closest friend, Shisui died as well.

However, her elder brother came in with what seemed like a green paper bag and sat beside her in the wisteria tree. She ignored him at first until he pulled out her favorite snack, Dango, to which she couldn't resist as the siblings ate.

They looked in amusement at how Sunako couldn't ignore when it comes to Dango. They watched how Daisuke comforted her and help her cope with the losses. But deep down, they knew that Sunako will never be the same again.
---------------------------------------
"Go away!" They witnessed a young blonde boy pushed to the ground outside of a mask shop. Sunako looks up from her book, watching the commotion happening. They could see the fear and hate in the people's eyes towards the young boy. They were informed that this young boy had the giant fox inside of him but the discrimination he received was not justified.

Just as the vendor was about to throw the mask at the boy, Sunako caught the mask. Standing between the blonde boy and the vendor with a fierce look on her face. "Please refrain yourself from hitting on a young boy."

The vendor was surprised at first before reverting to anger. "What's the problem with you? If you're an accomplice of that freak, then pay the damn mask!" He said angrily.

They watch as Sunako glanced at the boy before looking back at the vendor. "All right then, I'll purchase the mask." The preteen said, going through her pocket with her other hand. "Would this be enough?" She asked before throwing some bills and coins at the vendor's face.

The vendor looked in shock as the money flew. Taking this as a distraction she then grabbed the young boy's hand and ran away from the crowd who was surprised at the notion. Seeing the two ran away, the vendor tried to reach them and yelled, "Hey, you come back!"

"I'd pick it up if I were you! There's a rather large crowd here and the wind is strong!" Sunako yelled back, a smirk making its way on her lips as they ran from the busy streets to a remote park.

A subtle smirk threatened to make its way on Levi's face, to think that Sunako is bold to do that. Then again, it's rather amusing. They watched as Sunako gave the boy the mask and was very much amused when Sunako's stomach growled in hunger while the preteen herself look away, not willing to let anyone see her blush on her complexion before they decided to go out and eat.

Hange was salivating when they saw the food that was being served but they were actually fascinated by it as Sunako and the boy began eating. The boy introduced himself as Naruto who dreams to become the greatest Hokage in the village to which Sunako looked forward to that day comes when he becomes Hokage.

They commended the boy's guts and his aspirations to become Hokage so that he could be respected. In all honesty, he wasn't the fox that civilians talk ill about, he was only a misunderstood boy with big dreams of his own as Sunako went home, with a subtle small smile on her face.
--------------------------------------------

The room was dark around them. The only sound they heard was the screams outside of Sunako's room while the preteen herself sat on the floor, her back leaning against the door, sobbing. She cried in such anguish, such pain. It happened again. First was her team, next was Shisui, then it was her beloved elder brother.

They couldn't do anything but stood there and watch the poor preteen cry in such grief. It's rare for them to see her cry like this. It was there they saw bloody tears streaking on her face as Sunako's onyx eyes turn red with a black flower pattern on them.

She then stood up and walk towards the desk she has in her room. Her face was puffy, but Levi could see the dullness in her eyes as she wiped the bloody streaks of tears from her face. She glanced down at the top of her desk to see her kunai and picked it up. She eyed the kunai in her hand before grabbing her hair and sliced it off. Some strands fell to the floor but the rest was on her hand, gripping it tightly.

They could almost feel the rage seeping out from her. Her anger, that it almost scared them.
---------------------------------------------

A few days have passed since Daisuke's death, Sunako sat alone on her bed staring out of her bedroom window. They saw how her personality changed when her elder brother died. Safe to say that she loved her elder brother. The bond she had with him was deep. Inseparable but now he's gone. And yet, how did her personality change again to the ever-smiling petite woman they knew?

It didn't take long until, her mother, Rukia, came in with a plate of Dango. Despite grieving over the loss of her son herself, she chose to comfort her only daughter. She has to keep things together for them. It somewhat worked for a bit seeing as Sunako let out a small smile. Rukia left her room, leaving the plate of Dango for her to eat.

Just as she was about to put the plate away, she spotted the book that Daisuke gave to her before he died. From what Levi could remember, she still has it and saw her reading that book once in a while. From what he could get it was about a shinobi who never gives up and sought to break the curse and find peace.

If anything, it sounded naive to think about that, seeing how the people from her memories are. Then again, Sunako also sought to find peace in a cruel world. Levi raised an eyebrow when the preteen picked up an envelope that was poking out of the book as she hastily opens the letter and read the contents from the letter.

Seeing as how she hurriedly opened the letter and how it was poking out from the book could mean that it was written by her brother before he passed. Every word that she red, tears welled up in her eyes before streaming down to her cheeks. Her tears staining the letter as she clutched it close to her chest and cried.

Once the tears stopped shedding and she initially calm down. She looked at the letter and that's when they saw her eyes filled with newfound conviction, her determination renewed. That look alone made them realized what her new resolve is.
---------------------------------------------

"Please reconsider, Otosan." Sunako pleaded while her father remained unmoved, indifferent at his daughter's plead. The following days after her new resolve in continuing on her brother's dreams, she have been trying to change her father's mind to withdraw the clan's plan of a coup against the village. "Are not the lives of civilians and children matter to you? Do they not deserve in the bloodshed that'll come upon them? If you and many of our clansmen continue with the coup, other nations will surely attack and we'll become desolated from our home, what then?"

"I told you before, and my answer will be final. No, I will not." Hyousuke refused. It was like what Shisui said, their will to make the coup happen is much stronger and it won't be easy to dissuade them, like her father.

"But-"

"That's enough! I won't listen to any such nonsense from your mouth!" Hyousuke sharply interjects. "After what they did to my son who served under them faithfully. No matter what you say, the plan will go underway."

Sunako gritted her teeth, her hands curled up into a fist. "You should know by now that Nii-san would never wanted the coup to happen! If Nii-San was here, he would've-"

Her head sharply turned to the side, a red mark making its way on her fair complexion as her onyx eyes widened, bringing her hand up to her stinging cheek. They were in shock at what they just witnessed as the sharp blow echoed the room.

Sunako looked up at her father in such disbelief. His eyes were cold, not a hint of remorse whatsoever. As far as her memories could take, not once did he slap her out of anger. How it hurt so much.

"Don't ever speak about your brother ever again, understand?" Hyousuke said. There was a certain coldness in his voice that he never spoke to his daughter like that. Strict, yes, but never cold.

'You were the one who brought him into the conversation.' Levi pointedly thought.

"This discussion is final." He said, turning his heel, leaving his daughter with no consolation. Sunako stood there, her hair shadowing her eyes as she gritted her teeth and clenched her fist tightly. "Fine." She replied in the same cold manner and turned to leave the house, passing her mother by who then looked concerned when she saw the red mark on her daughter's cheek.

It was safe to say that her relationship with her father was starting to fell out of hand.
---------------------------------------------

"Itachi!" They watch Sunako calling out towards the boy, running after him as he chose to ignore her. The relationship with her father wasn't getting better ever since he chose to not listen to reason. Blinded by his grief of losing Daisuke. "You better stop walking right there, you idiot! I know you're ignoring me!"

Finally, Itachi halted in his tracks but he doesn't turn around to face her as Sunako catches up to him. "What do you want, Sunako?" Itachi asked the preteen.

"What I want is for you to stop pushing me away!" Sunako yelled at him. She had have enough of his behavior, pushing her away like it was not her business. "You're not the only one who's affected by Shisui's death. Don't ever forget that he was my friend too!"

"So stop pushing me away, I was part of the group too. My team is already gone, Shisui and Nii-San as well. Otosan won't listen to reason anymore and Okasan had no choice but to go along with it. I just don't want to lose a close friend of mine anymore." Itachi stood still for a moment, listening to his distant cousin's words.

Much to their surprise, he turned around and approached the preteen. Once he stood in front of her, he then raised his hand and placed his hand on top of her head. "Shisui also stated that I should protect you, but it seems all I did was hurting you even more even after Daisuke's death where you should've been comforted. I'm sorry, Sunako."

"It's fine. I'm just glad that we can talk again." Sunako said. However, the mood became solemn. Itachi's expression turned grim pulling his hand away. "Not for long. There are certain things I must do and things that you must be prepared for." He said.

"What that might be?" Sunako questioned when Itachi then poke her forehead. She staggered a bit. "Maybe next time, I'll tell you about it." He said. In a blink of an eye, he was already gone. However, they felt somewhat uneasy by his words. What does he mean by that?
---------------------------------------------

The night was long and dark. Screams of death were heard in the compound as they watched Rukia dragging the preteen hastily. It was very alarming to an extent. Both mother and daughter spotted Hyousuke who stood by the cupboard.

"We must hurry."

"Okasan, what is going on? I could hear our clansmen screaming outside." Sunako asked. Levi could see the anxiousness in her eyes, looking at her mother.

"There's a massacre going on. It would seem Itachi has decided to murder his own clan but he's not alone." Her father calmly explained.

Their eyes expanded a bit in shock. To think that her friend and distant cousin would be capable to annihilate every last one of his family. Was it that he had no choice? Was this the only way to stop the coup from happening?

"Sunako, listen to me, go hide inside the cupboard. Don't ever make a sound. Stay there until it's over." Her father strictly instructed her. But the preteen stubbornly refused.

"No. I'm not gonna be some coward hiding inside a cupboard. Itachi must have a reason for him to do this." Sunako tried to reason.

"Sunako, listen to Otosan-"

"I won't leave you out there to die. Just let me-"

"I'm not losing another one of my children again!" Sunako was taken aback at her father's outburst. It was there that she could fully see the emotions coming into his eyes, mainly his fear. "At least let me do what a father should've done to protect his children. I know that I've become irrational, blinded by my own grief over Daisuke's death when I failed to see that you were also grieving, that you're still alive. It has only gotten worse that day when I hit you. What I did couldn't be changed but let me do one final act to protect you."

Sunako quieted down as her mother urged her to go inside the cupboard, this time she listened and went inside, bringing her legs over her chest. Before the doors closed, Hyousuke opened his mouth and said his final words before facing his death. "Sunako, remember this, never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you."

"Hai, Otosan."

"One more thing." Sunako glanced up at her father. "Although our paths may differ, don't ever forget this. I'm proud to have you as my daughter... my little wisteria."

Sunako's eyes went wide, feeling the tears welling up into her eyes. She heard that nickname before. The doors started to close as her eyes then glanced at her mother who was now closing. "Live." With that, the doors are shut.

She wanted to know what's going on at this point but found a small but open crack at the cupboard and peeked outside.

It was there they watched a mysterious, cloaked masked man enter their home, his sword in hand, glinting in the moonlight along with the blood that spilled. Hyousuke was first to be killed, his blood splattered and poured out of his lifeless body. Next was Rukia, she put up a good fight but was ultimately slashed by the masked man as she fell to the ground. Blood poured out of her wound while her body laid motionless, no signs of life in her once gentle eyes.

Silent tears poured out at the preteen's face when she witnessed that happening but she stayed quiet. The masked man at first wandered around the household, checking if there are signs of life before leaving.

She stayed there for a few more before coming out once she heard the screams are gone. She walked slowly towards the bodies of her dead parents before halting in front of them. Her eyes staring at their bodies as her onyx eyes shifted to red, a black flower pattern appeared circling in her red eyes and blood streamed down to her cheek. Shakily, she picked up the bloodied butterfly hairpin that her mother wore.

People wearing animal masks suddenly came bursting through the door, their footsteps rang through their home before stopped when they saw the preteen. Slowly, one of them approached the preteen. "Hey, are you okay? We're not here to harm you. Will you tell us your name?"

It was silent for a few moments before Sunako finally faced them and spoke. "Uchiha... Sunako..."

"Alright, Sunako, we'll be taking you to the medical unit to make sure you're okay." She gently said. Sunako subtly nodded before she let them take her to the medical unit. They watch her casting one final glance at her parents before they exited her house. On that night, it was labeled as the Uchiha Clan Massacre.
---------------------------------------------

A week has passed since the night of the Massacre happened. The tragedy still came as a shock that someone as young as Itachi, who's one year older than Sunako, would be capable to kill his whole family. However, word reached that his younger brother, Sasuke, is still alive.

Then again, Levi was raised in the Underground where crime was evident in the city. Crime was the only way to survive in such a poverty-stricken place. He, too, killed people in order to make a living and survive. It was only a matter of time till he joined the Scout Regiment with two of his friends and escaped that miserable hell-hole.

As of now, they noticed the preteen kneeling before the Third Hokage in his office where they could see 4 stacks of paperwork on each side of the table, a smile graced upon her face. A smile that they very well knew and familiar with, wearing her hair up in a bun with the butterfly hairpin securing it. Sunako's persona has changed considerably to the ever-smiling petite woman they knew. If anything, it was more similar to her mother's personality. Now they know why she changed her personality almost completely.

"What is it, child?" The Third Hokage asked.

"If you so graciously may, lord Hokage, I would like to take Sasuke in and take care of him once he wakes up from the genjutsu that was casted onto him." Sunako said. The Third Hokage looked visibly surprised at her request and they could not blame him. To ask such a request even though she, herself, is young is a huge commitment.

"Is that so? Tell me, why would you burden yourself with a huge commitment?" He asked her. The preteen remain calm under his calculative gaze.

"I'm aware of the responsibility of taking care of a child since I'm also a child, myself. However, we are both orphans with no parents or other relatives left except for each other. Regardless of my connections with Itachi, wouldn't it be wise to leave Sasuke under the care of someone he knows?" She questions him, looking up, her onyx eyes staring at the Hokage.

It was tense for a moment before the Third Hokage sighed. "All right. I'll put him under your care. If anyone otherwise objects to this arrangement, then I'll be sure to take full responsibility of the matter."

"Thank you, lord Hokage." Sunako said bowing humbly to him.

By the time the third Hokage dismissed her, she walked out of the office, away from prying eyes as she kept her smile before stopping once she knows she was alone. Her smile faded into a frown as she rubbed her cheeks softly, feeling the burn in the muscles of her face while soothing it. It's never easy to copy one's attitude and habits on a daily basis, especially if you're the completer opposite of the person who you're trying to be.
---------------------------------------------

After taking full custody of Sasuke with the Third Hokage's support, they watched her and Sasuke settled in on a new apartment. It was understandable for both Sunako and Sasuke to not live in the compound anymore. The boy definitely change after that terrible night. Instead of the happy and eager child he was, he became cold. Whenever he speaks of his brother, there was great animosity in his voice whereas to Sunako, he began calling her in what they assume to be 'sister' in the oriental language without adding her name first.

They concluded that Sasuke recognized Sunako as his elder sister more so than Itachi after what he did, just like how Eren saw Sunako as his sister.

A year after the massacre, Sunako was promoted to Jonin by the Hokage, and a year after that, she was chosen as part of the Anbu black ops just like Itachi once. Only, she became Anbu when she was 14.

While Sasuke was at the academy, Sunako was sent to undergo harsh training in the Anbu. Studying the human body- which Sunako knew already due to her being under Tsunade's medical training since childhood-, beginning to wear animal masks to conceal their identity, leading to them using code names to identify each other. They never question about her ever-present smile though.

While still under training in the Anbu, She met a woman name Anko in a Dango shop at some point. She was an average-sized, young woman who was of slender frame. She has light brown, pupil-less eyes. Violet hair- styled in a short, spiky, fanned-out ponytail. She wears a fitted mesh bodysuit that covers her from neck to thigh. Over this, she wears a tan overcoat with a purple in-seam and a pocket on each side, a dark orange mini-skirt, a dark blue belt, and pale grey shin guards. In addition to the typical forehead protector, she also wears a small pendant that looks like a snake fang and a wristwatch.

To some degree, the both of them got along just fine. Talking over while eating Dango. Sunako would listen to Anko as she talks more about her day, she at times give Sunako tips when it comes to the art of interrogation and torture. If anything, the more Sunako spends time with Anko, the more she reminds them of a certain Titan maniacal section commander beside them as Hange paid close attention to the woman, intrigued by the tips she was giving to the little fire ant.

However, at the end of the day without anyone knowing, not even her cousin knows what she was doing at night except for the people who are viewing her memories. They were shocked when they witnessed what Sunako was doing to her body when she started, not long after she was handpicked by the Hokage to become Anbu.

Her hands trembling, fidgeting sporadically, steadying herself at the counter while coughing violently. She could only hope that Sasuke wasn't awake when she did. She had just finished cleaning up dinner after Sasuke went to bed. Sunako pulled her hand away from her mouth, crimson blood in view as she quickly washed her hands up, wiping the excess blood away from her mouth before going to her bedroom.

Once she's in her room, there they saw Sunako pulling out a vial that was tucked into her drawer. As per routine, she then downed the vial of liquid in one go, her hand quivering ever so. Every day, ever since she started training in the Anbu, she started drinking the vial of liquid to which they know contains poisons. They were shocked, for the most part, Levi had an underlying concern within his eyes as he watched her consuming poison after poison, knowing himself that he can't stop her since this is only a memory.

The repercussions were getting worse and worse. trembling hands, painful headaches, coughing up blood, at some point, she even broke out into a fever. As each day passes, there were less and less repercussions until she had none. Even after she drank, what they assume to be the last one, there were none as if she wasn't affected by it at all. Just what the hell did she do to her body?
---------------------------------------------

It was a dark, silent night. The streets were barren, the only illuminating light shone in the night sky was the moon. Sunako stood on top of the post, looking down. She wore her standard Anbu uniform and mask that was carved of a cat. Her modified sword strapped on her back as the wind blew.

In just a blink of an eye, she disappeared. Her steps were silent, too silent, as she entered a home belonging to a couple. She received word from her the Hokage that this couple are spies from another village, he suspected that they were spying on Konoha's military might and may seek rumors regarding the Uchiha Clan massacre, thus they are to be disposed of. In other words, this is an assassination mission and her first mission as Anbu.

They watched how Sunako blended in the dark hallway, as silent as ever, before she spotted a light shone from the Kitchen area. Hearing two voices in there, she stood hidden in the dark, listening to their discussion when finally the husband came out of the kitchen and turn his head towards the dark hallway.

Before he knew it, a sword was thrust into his abdomen. His widened eyes looked down at the sword before looking up to the masked teen as she pulled her sword out. Purple blotches spread throughout his body as he writhes in absolute pain. The white sclera of the eye turning red before he fell to the floor and died by her poison.

The wife screamed in pure horror and charged towards the masked teen for killing her partner with a kunai on hand. In just a few inches, she dodged the incoming kunai, maneuvering her body to the side before attacking the woman's pressure points with only one hand, unable to move.

The woman looked up, her terror-filled eyes meeting glowing red ones through her mask. Sunako wasted no time and inject the woman with heavy doses of poison. They watch as the woman's body squirm onto the floor, purple blotches spreading over her body before she laid motionless.

"Mama?"

They couldn't see what Sunako's feeling from the mask but they noticed how her body immediately stiffens when she heard a voice of a child. Sunako slowly turns around to see a little girl holding a stuffed bear toy. The little girl's innocent eyes went wide at the lifeless bodies of her parents. "Mama? Papa?"

Somehow Levi knew that she was cursing to herself for being careless, his eyes trailed to Sunako's grip on her modified sword. He knows she doesn't want to kill the child but she doesn't have a choice. After all, in Anbu, she cannot afford to leave witnesses.

With a glance of her Sharingan, the little girl was pulled in an illusion as she fell to the floor. Sunako made her way towards the little girl who has a peaceful expression on her face, kneeling beside her body. It was soft but they could hear Sunako's voice. "I'm sorry."

Her hand covered the little girl's mouth and nose, preventing her to breathe. The rising in her chest went still as Sunako pulled her hand away, standing up. They looked on with grim and solemn faces. Not only did she killed a couple but she would also kill a child to guarantee the village's safety. Levi's brows contorted condescendingly, it would seem this would not be the last time she would stain her hands with people's blood all for the sake of her village.
---------------------------------------------

After the mission, she was back in training again with the other members of Anbu and trying to make time with her cousin the best as she could despite her busy schedule. However, Levi knew that mission bothered her. She did her mission but paid the price of an innocent little girl's life.

After a long of training, they were now in the female locker room. However, Sunako wasn't alone in the room. Her senior was also in the room as they listen to how in their line of work, emotions are considered an unnecessary thing to have. How they are to be used as emotionless tools for the village as dreams and idealistic views won't matter on the field where it's kill or be killed. Doing what's best for the village even if they work in the shadows.

Before her senior left, she then imparted her words. "Our duty is to be useful. Not according to our desire, but according to our power. I suggest you put your personal feelings aside if you understood what's best for the village and yourself. If you can, kill the very emotions you harbor in yourself."

Levi's eyes narrowed. He knew that Sunako is unable to cut off her emotions even when she was trained to become an emotionless tool for people to use. In fact, she was more than just a tool to be discarded off. However, her senior's words about duty hit him. He's also a man bound by his duty, doing what's best for humanity while shouldering his comrades' will.
---------------------------------------------

They now observed Sunako waiting patiently in a dense forest, donning her standard Anbu uniform and cat mask. The third Hokage sent her on a mission to retrieve a scroll from an unlikely ally of sorts that she knows very well. However, The Hokage wanted her to keep this mission in utmost secrecy. She had a suspicion on who this person that the Hokage wanted her to retrieve the scroll from. And that led to where they are. In this dense of a forest.

It was eerily quiet at first. The sound of leaves rustling through the wind. Suddenly, Sunako pulled out 3 Senbons and threw them on the base of the tree. "Ara ara, you have some nerve to keep me waiting, Itachi." Sunako said.

No response was given to her but Sunako continued to talk nonetheless. "Would you please stop hiding behind that tree? Seriously, I came all the way out here to wait for you and this is the kind of greeting after not seeing each other for a long time?"

After a moment, Itachi revealed himself, wearing a long, black cloak with red clouds, a red interior, and a chin-high collar. His forehead protector was slashed signifying his broken ties with the village. "You've changed... Sunako." He stated.

"Many people go through different changes after witnessing such incidents. I'm sure you know how Sasuke has changed considerably after that night."

"I'm aware."

Sunako observed his condition with a critical eye, the bags under his eyes were dark and puffy like he hadn't slept for some time but there was also something else. "Here. This is for lord Hokage's eyes only." Itachi said, handing over the scroll.

Sunako nodded and put the scroll to her pouch safely. "How long until you have to go back?" She asked him.

"Not until tomorrow. I just finished my job early." Itachi replied smoothly. Sunako hummed in understanding. "How about you? How are things with you and Sasuke?" He asked her.

"We're fine. Sasuke will be graduating in due time. Though, we don't live in the compound anymore after that night, I still visit there whenever I can to take care of the garden that Okasan left." She said. Itachi looked at her with a solemn and guilty face.

"I'm sorry." Itachi apologized. "Don't be. I would've understand it if you have just been honest with me but there's no point in changing the past." Sunako said as Itachi nodded, acknowledging that she was right.

"Itachi, have you been feeling well lately?" Sunako suddenly asked him. Itachi's eyes widen slightly at the question but immediately cooled his face.

"I'm fine. Just dealing with nightmares lately."

"Liar. You're obviously not just dealing with nightmares." Sunako scoffed. Itachi glanced away from her. It was incredibly terrifying how Sunako can be so observant. Erwin was impressed with her observations, pointing out the flaws with a critical eye along with a witty mouth.

Sunako sighed. "How long have you been dealing with it? Your sickness?" She asked.

"Can't say. It has been some time now. It was only by medicine and sheer will that I'm alive still."

"And your eyes?"

"A bit strained whenever I used the Mangekyo Sharingan."

Sunako sighed once more before walking up close to him, taking off her cat mask as she raised her hand to hover his eyes. They watched how her hand started to glow green indicating that she's healing. "I could only ease some of the pain. Unfortunately, I can't heal all of it as much as I would like to."

"That's alright. Thank you, Sunako." Itachi said. They stayed there for a bit as Sunako continued to soothe the pain as best as she can, her eyes held concentration before the green glow in her hands faded, pulling her hand away from his eyes and step back a bit. "There, that should do it for a little while. I would advise you to not use your eyes at all but knowing you, you will use it either way and don't even think of denying it either." She scolded with a sweet smile on her face as Itachi chuckled nervously.

"I better get going, but before that..." Before Itachi could question, Sunako hit him at the side of his torso as he grunted much to their surprise at her sudden attack. He looked up to see Sunako's face, her brow raised and her eyes glinted with mischief. "That's for traumatizing Sasuke, idiot."

Itachi shook his head, a mirthful expression on his face. "I guess, I deserve that."

"Well then, I'll be going now. At least try to take it easy, okay?" Sunako rhetorically asked as she was about to leave.

"Wait, Sunako." Itachi called out. Curious, Sunako turns towards him only to get poked in the forehead. She staggered back a bit, rubbing her forehead, and looked at Itachi with a questioning pointed gaze. His lips twitched upwards into an amused smile.

"Till next time, Sunako."
---------------------------------------

A couple of years passed by since Sunako became Anbu. They witnessed her taking on more and more dangerous that could possibly take her life if she made a wrong move, but each time she did, she survived it all. They also watch Sunako meeting up with Itachi under the Third Hokage's orders due to Itachi's job to spy on an organization called 'Akatsuki'. Despite being busy, Sunako is glad that Sasuke understands how she must do her job even though she has less time. Some of her missions took time to finish before returning to Konoha to rest for a few days or so before being sent on another life-threatening mission. This is one of her days.

"Hatake Kakashi, right? Lord Hokage said you'll be Sasuke's sensei." Sunako said, her usual smile playing on her lips. Sitting across from her, sitting next to the Third Hokage, was a man with spiky silver hair oriented to his left-side, dark grey eyes, and typically a relaxed and lazy expression. Half of his face was covered by a mask and his left eye was also covered with his forehead protector. He wears Konoha's standard infantry clothing: a flak jacket, dark blue pants, and a long-sleeve shirt. He also wears fingerless gloves with metal plates on the backhand.

It was rather strange that his face was mostly covered. Then again, Erwin had his fair share of knowing unusual people that it's normal.

"That's right. You must be Uchiha Sunako, Sasuke's relative?" Sunako nodded in confirmation at Kakashi's question as the third Hokage sipped the tea that Sunako made for them.

"I have heard of your reputation, considering that you're now in the bingo book. A girl with a small, weak-looking build but an expert in poisons match with your overwhelming speed to inject enemies with poison. Not to mention your taijutsu style can render anyone paralyzed and your rank is almost to that of Uchiha Itachi." Kakashi said. If Erwin remembered correctly, Bingo books are black books used by Shinobi that contain any and all information on black-listed ninja they are to target. Normally, Bingo Book entries are compiled by a village's high ranking officials, usually the Kage, that are then distributed to its jōnin and Anbu members. Those listed are typically dangerous ninja from rival villages, missing-nin, or potential security threats that are to be eliminated given the opportunity.

It was only a matter of time for Sunako to be listed, since she has been taking dangerous missions the past couple of years, climbing up through the ranks.

"Ara ara, it would seem you've done your research on me." Sunako said in a cheerful tone but both Kakashi and the Third Hokage weren't buying any of her cheerfulness. "However, I have heard a lot of things about you as well, Kakashi-San. The most prominent being the Sharingan in your left eye." She said with a smile on her face as Kakashi lifted his hand and touched his left eye that was covered by his forehead protector.

Sunako's statement lights up Hange's curiosity about the Sharingan more and more as the eccentric woman looked at Kakashi who looked nothing like the members of the Uchiha clan.

"To see how you possessed the Sharingan that my clan prided itself with, wielding the same power as the Uchiha. I'm quite curious as to why you, whose not of my clan, came to have the Sharingan." Sunako said, a glint of curiosity in her eyes with her smile on her face.

"This Sharingan was entrusted to me by a friend who made me promise never to forget what's important." Kakashi said.

"A promise?"

"To never let a comrade get killed."

Levi thought back on their subordinates who were slaughtered and left behind. If only it were easy to prevent his comrades from dying, but alas, they live in a shitty, cruel world. As long as Titans still roam outside the walls, as long as those beasts continue to devour every man, woman, and child, death is inevitable.

"I see..." Sunako said, picking up her green tea, sipping the contents before placing back down on the table. Her usual smile present on her face. "Well then, I'll be trusting you with Sasuke as his sensei. You said so yourself, to never let your comrades get killed was a promise you made with your friend. So I trust that you'll teach him what he has to know."

Kakashi was a bit taken aback at her statement before nodding as the third Hokage sipped his tea, his lips curving up slightly, very much pleased.
---------------------------------------------

Months have passed since Sunako's meeting with Kakashi. She wasn't able to come to Sasuke's graduation due to a mission came up but she congratulated him nonetheless. By the time she arrived at said mission, she met his teammates. She was pleased to see Naruto again, much to Sasuke's surprise, she also met his female teammate, Sakura.

Her hair color was rather strange to see but Hange was fascinated. They had never seen someone with pink hair before. However, despite Sakura's intelligence, it would seem that the pink-haired girl was also one of Sasuke's fangirls. Her attraction to Sunako's distant cousin was obvious.

There was also a certain person that they couldn't forget as well. He was a tall and well-muscled man. He has fair skin a strong jawline, a somewhat large nose, and black hair. He is most noticeable for his shiny bowl-style haircut and thick eyebrows. He wears a green jumpsuit, orange striped leg warmers, and the standard Konoha flak jacket, which he normally leaves unzipped. His red forehead protector is worn around his waist like a belt.

Erwin twitched his thick brow slightly when he felt Mike, Hange, and Levi compared him to this eccentric man due to his eyebrows. He better hope that Hange doesn't think of getting a green jumpsuit.

"Ow! Nee-San, that hurt!"

"Ah, sorry about that, but you have to sit still."

They're now watching Sunako cutting Sasuke's hair. When she got back from her mission, she took the liberty to cut her cousin's hair since she noticed that his hair is getting longer again.

"You were pulling my hair again." Sasuke said while Sunako continued to snip off some of his longer hair.

"I did apologize, didn't I?" Sunako said. The boy frowned a bit, murmuring under his breathe while letting his sister figure continue to cut his hair. "You didn't cut it too much, right?" Sasuke asked.

"Don't worry, I didn't mess up your duck butt of a hair." Sunako assured while also teasing him, much to his irk. "My hair is not like a duck's butt." Sasuke muttered.

"Well it does shape like one, how do you expect for me to not call it that?"

They watch as Sunako continues to tease the boy while finishing up his haircut. Levi sympathizes with the boy when it comes to teasing from Sunako. Either way, they saw how close the two are to the point where they acted like they really are siblings. Then again, they are from the same clan and distant cousins.
---------------------------------------------

"Now where have you two been all this time?"

They could see Kakashi and Sasuke flinch as they slowly turn their head to see the owner of the voice to be Sunako. A sweet smile etched on her face, letting out a demonic vibe. Levi sighed, knowing how displeased she is the moment those two were late.

Today was the Finals for the Chunin exams taking place in a stadium. They observed how the finalists fought though some were quite disappointing. They are talented nonetheless. Naruto has grown strong, defeating a member of the Hyuga clan was not an easy task. The Nara boy was impressive, his sharp mind was able to think of a plan to subdue and defeat the enemy but unfortunately, he conceded at the last minute. The girl using a giant fan from Sunagakure was really good. Sadly, the match between the Aburame boy and the puppet guy didn't happen when the latter surrendered before his match even began.

However, something's off about Sasuke's opponent, Gaara. Something about his demeanor just sets off many red flags in their heads and they know that Sunako has the same feeling they have towards the boy.

As of now, Sunako was very much displeased with their tardiness. If there's something that they learn, it's to never displease Sunako.

"N-Nee-San."

"I hope you both know the consequences when you became late, especially you, Kakashi." Sunako said in a very sweet tone.

"Now, Sunako, let's be reasonable here-" Kakashi started.

"Oh, I'm very reasonable. Reasonable enough to give you five minutes to explain or the book gets it." Sunako said, pulling out an orange book, waving in front of them much to Kakashi's horror. His hand going through his pouch only to find out that it wasn't there."Four minutes, Kakashi."

At this point, Kakashi doesn't have much choice but to explain lest she'll burn the book right in front of him. Kakashi hunched his shoulders, letting out an audible sigh and nod while Sasuke decided to leave them be. Before he could take one foot into the arena Sunako called him. "Sasuke."

Sasuke turns his head to face her. Her usual smile still plastered in her face but there was a certain seriousness in her eyes. "Be careful out there." She said. Sasuke nodded before stepping foot into the arena.
---------------------------------------------

Not long after, an invasion struck in the village. The Shinobi from Sunagakure and Otogakure made a full-scale attack against the village. All combat-ready shinobi from Konoha sought out the invaders, giving the citizens time to escape and go into refuge. Giant snakes appeared, destroying the village's defense.

They watch as Sunako was among those who fought off the invaders, protecting the civilians while she's at it. Her senbon pointing threateningly near an oto-nin's face with a menacing smile on her face. "Ara ara, since you so dare to attack my village, looks like we'll never be friends after all. How pitiful."

"Get off me, you bitch!" The Oto-nin yelled.

"Gladly. But first..." before he knew it, Sunako pierced his Senbon into the Oto-nin as the poison spread throughout his body. He screamed and writhed in pain before he fell with purple blotches on his body. It was rather sadistic when they watched her ruthlessly kill humans without hesitation. However, they understood.

Her home was attacked. They would also do the same if the walls breached again just like what happened in Trost. They would undoubtedly try to take back Shiganshina from the Titans.

They saw Sunako being surrounded by Oto-nin as she was trying to make her way towards a purple barrier where the Third Hokage is battling. However, they noticed how calm she was and knew that she was planning on something. "Whether or not you'll stop to kill me, I'm not one to waste time on Shinobi like you. So, good day to you."

They watched incredulously as she raised her hand to her mouth, biting her thumb hard enough to bleed much. She swiped the blood on her palm before going through handsigns ending it by slamming her hand on the ground as the Oto-nin charged towards her. Black writings appear on the ground and she chanted. "Kuchiyose no Jutsu!"

A puff of smoke came out before dying, their eyes expanded on what appears before them. It was a large carnivorous cat with a pair of elongated fangs as its distinguishable feature. The Oto-nin fell back when it appeared, defending the petite girl. Erwin couldn't believe that this animal existed. He read about these kinds of animals in history but it was said that the Sabertooth tiger was long extinct.

To think that he could get to see this animal even though it was only part of Sunako's memory. They were even more surprised when the sabertooth tiger talked. "Lady Sunako, your orders?" It asked.

"Take me to the barrier over there. While we're at it, we'll take down any enemy that crosses our way." Sunako said. It growled in acknowledgment, letting the petite girl climb on its back before speeding up to where the Hokage fought, striking their foes on the way while doing so. By the time they arrived, it was already too late.
---------------------------------------------

The sky was gray as rain fell on the remaining shinobi who fought off the invasion, all wearing black clothing. A funeral was held on the roof of the Hokage mansion. A tribute to the Third Hokage and others who died defending the village. All of them held solemn faces, mourning the death of their leader.

They watch as Sunako step forward- laying a flower among the other flowers that were laid before the memorial. She then went back to her spot next to Sasuke, bowing her head.

Erwin, Mike, Hange, and Levi also bowed their heads in respect with somber expressions. Despite his flaws, he was a great leader, a teacher, and a powerful shinobi. Stern yet a sympathetic old man, who chose to entrust the next generation and inherit in what he calls the 'Will of Fire'.
---------------------------------------------

"So, this is where you go?" Sunako asked. They watched as she approached the spiky, silver-haired man, standing beside him. The two stared at the memorial stone in front of them where names of those who died in battle in the last war.

She decided to stroll around the training grounds before going off on a mission outside the village.

Kakashi hummed in confirmation. He didn't spare a glance at her but he acknowledged her presence and let her be. "Whenever I had spare time, I go and pay my respects here. This is where the name of my friend was engraved."

"What's your friend's name?"

Kakashi paused for a moment before he answered. "Obito. His name is Uchiha Obito. He's the one who gave me his Sharingan to begin with before he died. During a crucial mission, he also taught me an important lesson."

Sunako turned to look at him with a raised brow. "To me never let a comrade die?"

"That, but he also told me this..." Sunako stared at him with curiosity in her eyes as Levi listened attentively to what Kakashi is going to say only for his eyes to expand slightly when he heard those words coming right out of his mouth. "Those who break the rules are scum, but those who abandon their comrades are even worse than scum."
---------------------------------------

"Welcome back. It has been some time, Lady Tsunade, Shizune."

"Yes, it's nice to see you again, Sunako." Tsunade greeted back as she sat behind the desk of the Hokage's office while Sunako kneeled before her. Shizune stood next to Tsunade, greeting Sunako with a smile and nod while Naruto looks back and forth between the two.

Though, Konoha was victorious in fighting off the attack, the village suffered heavy losses in defense. That only added when the third Hokage died. Earnestly, Konoha went to find a new Hokage to fill in the role and to oversee the village's reconstruction effort. Meanwhile, the surviving shinobi were forced to go on more missions than usual, missions of higher rank than were accustomed as well. Sunako was one of those Shinobi who was forced to go on more dangerous and longer missions. Leaving Sasuke alone most of the time.

"Have your chakra improved since last time?" Tsunade questioned her. They assume that she's referring to her condition when she was only a young child.

"Yes, Lady Tsunade. I would also like to thank you for healing my cousin, Sasuke, while I was on a mission." Sunako thanked her with gratitude. She was sent on a mission before Sasuke was sent to the hospice, she didn't know that Itachi was in the village until she arrived after completing the mission along with the news that Lady Tsunade has returned and will take up the mantle as the village's 5th Hokage.

Of all the faces of the past Hokages they've seen carved on the mountain, she's the first woman to be chosen as Hokage.

"Wait, hold on a sec!" Naruto exclaimed. They could tell that he was rather confused. "You two know each other?" He asked, pointing at the both of them.

"She was an apprentice of Lady Tsunade when she was younger for a few months before returning back here. Her mother, Uchiha Rukia, was the only Uchiha whom Lady Tsunade became close friends with." Shizune answered the boy, explaining to him how they came to know each other.

Tsunade's lips curled up a bit. There was a certain twinkle of recognition in her eyes, eyeing briefly at the butterfly hairpin that Rukia used to wear. And yet. "You look very much like your mother, Sunako. However, if you're trying to fool me then your sadly mistaken."

'Wait, what?' Hange was quite surprised, along with Erwin, Levi, and Mike as they watched how Naruto looked incredulously at them.

"What do you mean that she was trying to-"

"Understood, Lady Tsunade." Sunako stood up with her smile still present. "Again, thank you for healing Sasuke. If I may dismiss myself?"

"Yes, you may go." Tsunade gave her consent as Sunako disappeared from the Hokage's office, leaving a gaping Naruto.
---------------------------------------------

They watched how Sunako's smile disappeared into that of shock when she heard through Tsunade's mouth. "Sasuke... defected?"

Tsunade nodded grimly. "It would seem that he had decided to join Orochimaru in pursuit of power. Lady Tsunade sent a number of our shinobi and even Sunagakure gave aide but it wasn't enough." Kakashi explained.

"I see..." Sunako trailed, her eyes looking down as she processes the words she received. Again, she was out on a mission and have failed to realize what Sasuke is going through that made him leave the village and join Orochimaru. Despite not showing much emotion, he could see how devastated and guilty she is when she heard.

"Then, if I may, I would like to take responsibility for whatever actions Sasuke did against the village. After all, I'm to blame for not taking into consideration of what he's going through in his mind." Sunako offered.

"No. you did your best to raise Sasuke as if he was your own brother. You won't be held accountable for his actions." Kakashi intervened.

"But-"

"While I may commend you for taking responsibility, what happened on the retrieval mission was solely his decision to leave. You, on the other hand, had an important mission to complete when it happened, therefore there's no need for you to take the blame into account for Uchiha Sasuke." Tsunade said as Sunako quiet down, taking her words into consideration.

"That may be so. However," An old man's voice was heard as Levi narrowed his eyes, scowling at the person by the door. He knew who that was when they viewed through her memories."How can you be so sure that this wasn't her fault?"

"Danzo."

"My apologies for barging in. I just happened to overhear your conversation regarding the rouge Uchiha Sasuke and the failed retrieval." Danzo then turns his attention to the petite girl. "Tell me, Sunako, if you were ordered to kill Sasuke, your own cousin, would you do it?" He questioned her. They knew that he was testing her, testing her response.

It was tense for a moment before Sunako opened her mouth. "I won't kill him, but I will stop him."

Danzo's eyes narrowed in displeasure. "What did you say?"

"With all due respect, lord Danzo, but if you think that I'll be willing to kill my family like Itachi, then your sadly mistaken. I won't kill him and I refuse to do it." Sunako calmly said. Her onyx eyes unwavering while her voice held firm even when she's in the midst of a village elder's anger.

"You foolish girl." Danzo spat. "Do you think that by refusing to kill him, you wouldn't endanger the lives of the innocent of this village? How pathetic. You, who was given the rank as Anbu, refuse to kill a soon-to-be threat to the village? What a pathetic excuse of a kunoichi you are."

"That's enough, Danzo." Tsunade interjects, her eyes firm.

"Sunako has done nothing but did every single mission she was sent to with no hesitation. Every assassination, every infiltration, had she once questioned the number of missions she was sent?" Kakashi asked him, defending the petite girl.

"If I recall, she was never under your command but the Hokage's, isn't it? Therefore, she's under my orders and my protection. Is that clear?" Tsunade said, leaving no room for him to argue. Seeing as he was outnumbered, Danzo backed off.

"As you wish, Godaime Hokage." Danzo uttered before turning his heel and left. Leaving them alone. For now.
---------------------------------------------

"So... A little butterfly told me that you'll be training with Jiraiya-San." Sunako started, sitting by Naruto's bedside. After the confrontation with Danzo, they watch as she walked to the hospice to visit Naruto. He was pretty much covered in bandages but that was to be expected after trying to retrieve Sasuke.

"Yeah! after I'm all healed up, Ero-sennin will train me outside of the village and within three years, he'll make me a full-fledged shinobi! Isn't the cool?" Naruto happily explained. His blue eyes lighting up as he talked despite how banged up he is.

"Hai. It's very impressive, Naruto. Being trained under one of the legendary sannin is a feat itself." Sunako said, nodding her head with a close-eyed smile. Naruto scratch the back of his neck, a slight blush on his cheeks at the compliment.

"By the way, about Sasuke... I'm sorry for the trouble he caused you while I was gone." Sunako apologized.

"Nah, don't be sorry! It's not your fault that teme decided to leave anyway. But, I promise you that I will knock some sense into Sasuke and bring him back!" Naruto said. Levi noticed how Sunako was taken aback by the amount of determination this blonde boy had in his eyes before a fond look made its way on her face.

"Thank you, Naruto... however, if you don't mind, I'd like to entrust my dream to you." Sunako said.

"Dream?"

"Hai. My dream that we can become friends with other villages to live in peace. Think you can do it?" Sunako asked.

"You bet I can! I won't let you down, Sunako-Nee-Chan!" Naruto enthusiastically said with a bright grin on his face.

"I'm glad. Thank you, Naruto."
---------------------------------------------

A few years have gone by after Naruto left. They watch as Sunako continued to serve in Anbu under Tsunade's leadership. She also helped to oversee Sakura's medical training due to her pharmaceutical expertise. They could see how much the pink-haired girl has grown stronger from Sasuke's fangirl to a splendid kunoichi and could tell how Sunako is proud of her development.

It came as a surprise that Naruto returned to the village after the petite girl finished her mission. They had just gone back from Sunagakure where they met her by the gate. Although, Levi stared at Guy who has an unconscious Kakashi on his back along with Lee in a deadpan expression on his face. Thankfully, they left to go to the hospice. Naruto has certainly grown stronger than last time along with his height but he's still the same Naruto a few years ago.

They continue to view Sunako spending as much time Naruto and Sakura before going out to complete a mission. They view her happy moments and sad moments but she kept holding on. That is until they saw how her life ended.

Just as how a butterfly's life came to an end, the time came for Sunako's life to end.
---------------------------------------------

Levi's gaze lingered at the kneeling female as blood poured out from the gash she received from the masked man. The same feeling he felt in the Forest of Giant Trees came back to him. The same underlying fear, desperation, and denial when he saw her responsive body came back as the masked man approached her, his bloodied sword glinting.

Levi subconsciously tightened his fist, turning white. Just as the masked man raised his sword and strike her down, Sunako swiftly blocked his attack with her sword, surprising the masked as he jumped away from her. Sunako slowly stood up, with her head down as her short hair brushed her shoulders when she took off her hairpin to show the masked man with a furious gaze earlier. He knows she was in pain and yet she paid no mind to it, focusing on the enemy before her. Trying to not become vulnerable.

"Despite being heavily wounded, you're actually stand up? I'm impressed. However, that will be short-lived seeing as that's not enough to kill you." The masked man said as he takes a step forward towards her when suddenly Sunako held her head up and opened her eyes. The three tomoe was no longer there and was replaced by that of a flower as her eyes then started to bleed.

"Amaterasu." She chanted underneath her breath. Black flames erupted from the ground before the masked man even though its raining. The very same black flames he saw back when they were rescuing Eren from the Female Titan. It was a surprise that these black flames didn't die out in the rain.

They watched her battling the masked man once more, their swords clashed with each other, sparks meeting, trading blows upon blows to the other. However, they knew that the masked man was stronger than Sunako as they're soon at the edge of the cliff with Sunako by the edge of it. As she blocked his sword the best as she could. The masked man lifted his leg and kick her to the edge. He observed as she fell down, near the edge of the cliff. When 'Sunako' disappeared in a puff of smoke. It was the only clone.

The masked man was surprised at this until the real Sunako appeared and tackled him. Making him fall down with her. Whilst falling down, in an attempt to make Sunako let go of him, he stabbed her with his sword. Sunako's eyes widen at the pain, losing her grip towards him. She was the first one to hit the ground. However, unbeknownst to the masked man, she attached a paper bomb on him before he stabbed her as the paper bomb exploded on him.
---------------------------------------------

Levi looked on solemnly, his jaw clenched tightly at the sight of her state. This was not the sight he wanted to see. Her blood mixed with the waters from the rain as the sword pierced her abdomen. She laid there, looking up at grey sky with both of her hands holding on the butterfly hairpin while the other held a black cloth with a red cloud.

Erwin, Mike, and Hange looked on somberly at the sight of Sunako. She fought to the end, to beat her parent's murderer but in turn came her life.

Sunako's eyes started to close as a smile came unto her face. A smile so serene as if she had come to accept her fate and be at peace. Before they knew it everything suddenly became white.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Hey everyone! I know its been some time since I last updated but here's chapter 11 of Humanity's Butterfly. It took abit longer to plan which memories to include but I believe this should be enough to satisfy you guys till the next chapter. So bye and stay awesome!😊 Peace out!✌️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.1K 33 30
After the death of Levi's squad, he feels as if he has lost everything...that is until Hanji, his new neighbor, forces her way into his heart. Will...
1.7K 66 22
" 𝗟𝗶𝗸𝗲 𝗜 𝗳𝗲𝗹𝘁 𝗜 𝗸𝗻𝗼𝘄 𝗲𝘅𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗹𝘆 𝘄𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱𝘀 𝘁𝗼 𝗯𝗲 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗲." - 𝐘/𝐍 This fanfic is season 3 and season 4! Art Credit:...
2.1K 165 11
On an expedition, a team of soldiers come across a mysterious girl, who was found stuck on a tree, with an arrow pierced through her heart. One of th...
3.6K 52 42
In the fractured world behind the towering walls, where titans roam and humanity fights for survival, a story of broken souls and secretive pasts unf...