Night life || Ahkmenrah

Por Frayed-Apart

"For what it's worth, I am glad you were the one to find me". "I think I was looking for you before I knew wh... Mais

Intro
00
Prologue
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
New Covers
Part 2: Battle of the Smithsonian
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty one
Twenty two
Twenty three
Twenty four
twenty five
Twenty six
Twenty seven
Twenty eight
Twenty nine
Thirty
Thirty One
Thirty two

Eighteen

9.2K 421 50
Por Frayed-Apart

Damien blinked as he felt the familiar magic of the tablet wash over him. He yawned and stretched his arms up above his head. From outside his frame, he could hear the sound of movement as the rest of the museum came to life. He stuck his head out the frame to peer at the entrance to the Egyptian exhibit. It was open, the gates left alone against the walls. It was a relief, no matter that he checked each time he woke. Damien didn't want the security guards to lock him in.

The sound of stone moving made him smile. He stepped out, shivering as the air turned cold. His portrait was always warm with desert dryness. The wooden lid of the sarcophagus lifted and two bandaged hands moved it carefully down to the floor. Damien grinned and held out a helping hand. Ahkmenrah took it and he pulled the pharaoh onto his feet. "Good evening", he smiled.

"Damien", Ahk beamed at him. His green eyes bright. He had stopped wrapping the bandages round his face when he returned to his coffin. Something about them being too stuffy. "Good evening", he echoed as he draped his arms over Damien's shoulders. The blonde smiled and leaned in to press a gentle kiss to the Pharaoh's lips. Ahk's eyes fluttered closed as they kissed slowly . Both of them taking a second to bask in each other's presence. After a minute, they pulled away.

"What is the plan this night?" Damien asked. Ahk hummed as he ran his fingers over Damien's suspenders.

"I believe that Teddy was to show us the moving pictures again". Since Larry had left almost two years ago now, and no new night guard replaced him, they had all arranged to have a group night once a week. It was fun and they all took turns organising it. Tonight was Teddy's or the miniatures turn.

Damien laughed. "That's called a video Ahk. Although, in my day they were silent and in black and white. The effect they have now is amazing. That movie Larry showed us with the moving art, what were they called again? -oh, cartoons! Animation! Marvellous thing!" He was about to rant on about how the movie was just a animal version of Hamlet with musical numbers, when Ahk's amused chuckled interrupted. "Ah. I suppose you should get changed", Damien smiled and carefully removed Ahk's arms.

Ahkmenrah leaned forwards and rubbed their noses together before stepping back. "Give me a few minutes Dami". Damien nodded and returned to his portrait to grab his jacket. He swung it over his shoulders and buttoned it up. When he was done, he returned to the museum to help Ahk with the bandages he was still stuck on. When he was done, he smiled at him. His golden crown making him look as handsome as always.

"Shall we greet the others?" He held out a hand. Damien took it without a second thought.

"Wait". He paused and Ahk blinked at him in confusion. Damien grinned and pressed another kiss to his lips. A quick light touch. "There. Okay. Let's go and see everyone".

As usual, everyone had convened in the entrance hall of the museum. The hun, civil war dolls, cave men and various others hanging round in groups. Teddy was talking to Sacajawea and he looked up as Damien and Ahk descended the stairs. "Ah, hello boys", he smiled at them. "Ahkmenrah, Damien. How are you this fine night?"

"As pleasant as usual Teddy", Ahk replied warmly.

"What are tonight's plans?" Damien queried.

Teddy grimaced and shot a huff look towards the reception desk. "I was planing to show a film but the miniatures have organised a series of games and the others seem excited. I haven't the heart to protest". Damien turned and waved at the small figures of Octavius and Jed. The two tiny men were discussing, or arguing, animatedly with big arm gestures. They paused to wave at them before returning to whatever they were doing.

"What sort of games?" Ahk asked. "Chase the scarab?"

"What sort of game is that?" Damien frowned in confusion. Ahk merely grinned but didn't answer.

"I don't think that is the plan", Teddy remarked.

"I believe that it was something called"- Sacajawea concentrated for a second as she tried to remember the word. She spoke so gently and confidently that Damien often forgot that English wasn't her first language. "Murder? Is it violent?"

"Murder in the dark!" Damien exclaimed excitedly. "Oh I love that game!" He grinned widely, the brightness in his eyes a shine of childishness joy. "I haven't played it since school. Us students used to make such a mess. It would take ages to clean up afterwards. Especially in the version we played. And the noises! It still makes me laugh". He stopped talking at the confusion and slight horror on his friend's faces.

"That's bloodthirsty", Teddy muttered.

"Should I be concerned?" Ahk joked.

"Wait, we don't really kill each other!" Damien clarified. The three of them sighed in relief. "I'll let Jed and Octavius explain their version".

———

Of course, the game was not as simple as Damien expected. In the usual version, the players were confined to one room and had to walk around the dark. The murderer would tap them on the shoulder and they would pretend to die. As soon as someone found a body, they would call Murder and the lights would turn on so they could guess the murderer. But this was a museum full of reanimated people of history and history was often violent. Therefore, the game was slightly more violent too.

Jed and Octavius had changed the rules to something fitting the museum occupants. Instead of keeping the murderer a secret, they had nominated Attila and Ahk as their two murderers. Jed and Octavius would be the police. Everyone else had to run around the whole museum in the dark and try not to run into any of the murderers. If they did, then the murderer's had to touch them to 'kill' them and the victim would return to the entrance hall. The murders would chase everyone and the police would chase the murderers. If Jed and Octavius caught Attila and Ahk before three in the morning, then they won. If Attila and Ahk evaded capture or 'killed' everyone, then they won. It was a simple enough game.

Damien listened to the rules be explained and eyed Ahk nervously. The pharaoh grinned happily, a cunning light in his eyes. He was far too happy with his role. Damien knew that his boyfriend was a king, who led armies and fought in battles. But he had always been so kind and gentle. This gleam in his eyes was slightly creepy. No matter how good a king was, they were powerful and dangerous men. "How are you going to run in this?" Damien asked, gesturing to Ahk's long skirt and robes.

The pharaoh looked down at himself. "I might have to go and borrow something from your painting", he muttered. Damien had a full trunk of clothing in his tent. Ahk had borrowed things from there before.

"Okay. Should I be worried that it's you and Attila chasing us?" Damien's lips twitched.

Ahk turned and gave him and sharp grin. "Definitely". There was a smug cockiness to his voice that made adrenaline spark in Damien's veins. He shivered and grinned back.

"I was on my academy's football team", he warned. "Think you can catch me?"

"I would hunt ostriches across the desert and chase Scarabs through the streets of my city. I would train alongside my soldiers", Ahk's voice was low with self assurance. "You will have to run fast".

"Don't just go for me first. Be sure to find the others too".

"Alright!" Jed's voice broke through the chatter. "Everyone gets a head start of three minutes before the murderers can get you. Ready to start?"

There was a answering chorus of noise. Some in English, most of it just roars. The cavemen all waved their clubs in excitement. Damien wondered if they understood the rules but they seemed enthused enough. Jed seemed especially eager to start. He and Octavius had their little remote control car ready to follow after the murderers. "Three!"

Damien took a few steps away from Ahk in preparation. He took off his jacket and threw it onto the desk. Ahk watched him and Damien grinned. "Catch me if you can Ahk!" He teased. Ahk narrowed his eyes challengingly.

"Two!"

"One! Go!" Damien and nearly everyone in the hall took off running. Half of them going upstairs and half continuing down the corridors in a crowd of excited bodies. The lights cut off and they were plunged into darkness.

Unedited

I wanted a few filler chapters of general life in the museum before the second movie.
Anyone ever played Murder in the dark? I used to love that game as a kid.
These filler chapters are basically just cute Damien and Ahk moments. Hope you enjoy.

Continuar a ler

Também vai Gostar

6.8K 244 20
Noctuary; (n.) the record of a single night's events, thoughts, or dreams {Sam Wilson x Fem! OC} {Book 2} {Marvel} {Complete}
58.3K 1K 17
Scarlet Smith had never acted the way a 16 year old girl should. I guess it didn't help she was the adopted daughter of Larry Dailey, the night guard...
45.2K 1.3K 11
when student emily gets a job as an assistant night guard at the museum of natural history, she's in for more than she bargained for - at this museum...
51K 1.4K 40
"It says here you were born in 1776?" Larry Daley read the old brown sheet of paper in front of him. Rowena just smiled, but her eyes said more. "Tha...