Love Bites (Rewrite)

By mcandr1

If there is one thing that always bites it's falling in love. Rebecca Cross is an ordinary high school girl w... More

Chapter 1: The First Drop
Chapter 2: Throbbing Recognition
Chapter 3: So, Vampires Are a Thing
Chapter 4: A Day in the Life of a Vampire
Chapter 5: That Escalated Quickly
Chapter 6: An Agreement
Chapter 7: Natural Curiosity
Chapter 8: Beyond the Shadow of Doubt
Chapter 9: Obey or Else
Chapter 10: Scars
Chapter 11: Blood Bonds
Chapter 12: Strictly Professional
Chapter 13: A Friend Date
Chapter 14: To Be Human
Chapter 15: Sensory Overload
Chapter 16: Awkward
Chapter 17: Blood Merry
Chapter 18: Human Day
Chapter 19: Friendzone
Chapter 20: Baggage
Chapter 22: Honey I'm Home
Chapter 23: Negotiations
Chapter 24: Till Death Do Us Part
Chapter 25: Rest in Peace
Chapter 26: Love Bites

Chapter 21: Hears a Thought

318 20 1
By mcandr1

Bex and Lyssa laid on her bed as the sun shined softly through the sheer curtain early Sunday morning. Lyssa had come over to Bex's house at Bex's request. She wanted Lyssa to spend the day with her just being normal teenagers for once. At least that's what she told Lyssa, but in reality, she just wanted to know more about the vampire.

"What will your parents say when they see me here?" Lyssa used her fingers to twirl a lock of Bex's hair in her hand.

"They will probably be mad; they don't like you very much. But I am sure once you properly apologize to them and tell them we are just friends now they will be fine with it."

"So, it is my job to deal with your parents?"

"If you wouldn't mind," Bex smiled.

The smile made Lyssa get all tingly in her chest. She loved that smile. She would always love that smile. That smile was powerful and Bex was only the second person she'd known who could pull it off so effortlessly.

"I don't remember what my parents looked like," Lyssa said out of nowhere.

"Really?" Bex asked.

"Well there wasn't exactly photography back then plus I only knew them briefly."

"Tell me," Bex moved closer.

"When I was young around the age of five my house was broken into and robbed, my parents, killed. After that, I became an orphan and lived in orphan homes. It was not very pleasant is all I can remember from that part of my life."

"How did you get turned into a vampire?"

"Now that I do remember. In fact, I'll never forget it. I was roaming the streets looking for scraps and a job as something. Anything would do I just really needed money. I had run away from my orphanage and I was dying of starvation. There were these men on the street by an alleyway. They promised me that if I could show them a good time, they would make it worth my while. I was stupid and desperate, so I agreed. They raped me, beat me, and left me to die."

"Oh my god! That's horrible!"

"Lucky for me my blood drew the attention of a certain vampire. He was old and lonely. He thought that if he turned me that I would stay by his side. So, he did. I stayed with him for a week or two as he told me everything I needed to know about vampires. Then I went out for my revenge. I found those men and enjoyed every last second of their death. Then I took my fury out on the orphanage. The man who turned me tried to warn me that what I was doing was wrong. I got mad at him and thought he was controlling me, so I killed him too."

"Lyssa."

"I tell you, Rebecca, I am not nor have I ever been a good person. I have killed many people, some good, some bad, some just because. If you really want to know me, then you should know that I used to enjoy killing. It was what I looked forward to every day."

"Why?"

"When you are turned into a vampire, there is this rage that comes with it. Sometimes it can be hard to control it. As a girl back then I was powerless, my word meant nothing to anyone. I could only do what men thought appropriate of me. To have power like I was given did something to me. It made me feel strong to be able to bring those men to their knees and begging for my mercy. I loved it."

"What changed?"

"Me. Years of me losing the ones I loved and always having to be on the run. It is too much work to try and be able to take joy in all that has caused you pain. Plus, I had to kill someone I loved once and after that, I was never the same."

"Who?"

"The vampire I created. I had never done it before, and it was all new to me. I thought I could help him, I saved him. He was like a brother to me. I saw myself in him. But like me he let the power go to his head, he killed a lot. It wasn't like it was back then, killing that much in one go drew national attention. I tried to show him the way, I tried to teach him, but he would not listen to me. He was just so mad at the world. He drew slayers to us and witches too. I had to kill him for my own safety."

"Did you just say, witches!?"

"Yes, Rebecca. Vampires are not the only things that defy the normal world you live in. Witches, succubus, fairies, mermaids, and so many other things are out there somewhere just like me. Hiding in plain sight. Trust me I've had my fair share of run-ins."

"I'll add that to the list of things that can give me nightmares," Bex sat up.

"Speaking of nightmares, what exactly is your worst fear?" Lyssa asked.

"Well, I sort of have like three. The first one is dying alone, but I think that's common. Just dying, in general, is terrifying."

"Why is that?"

"I guess it's because you never know when it's gonna come. One day you're fine, then the next Bam! Dead as a doornail. It's not really the dying part that I'm afraid of more like I am afraid that I won't get to do everything I want before I die. Like I will die unhappy."

"So, it's the regret you fear?"

"I guess so, it's hard to explain."

"Well, what about the other two?" Lyssa sat up.

"Reptiles specifically snakes and anything with big pointy teeth and of course insects. Especially the ones that fly," She shuddered at the thought.

Lyssa smirked at her, doing her best to hold in her laughter.

"You think it's funny, but it's all fun and games until a roach flies at you."

"Oh, Rebecca, how human of you," Lyssa pinched her cheeks.

Bex blushed.

"Oh yeah what are you scared of, Ms. I'm a big bad vampire."

"I fear to fail," Lyssa moved closer to Bex as if she was telling her a deep dark secret.

"Failing? Like failing a math test?"

"No, more like failing someone who needs me. Failing at living up to expectations. Failing to save someone. Those kinds of failures."

"That sounds like a lot of pressure," Bex frowned.

"I only fear it because I know what comes after failure. It is usually not pleasant. But I think you will be happy to know that I too have silly human fears."

"Yeah, like what?"

"I am afraid of illness. I detest germs. Anytime someone is sick I steer clear of them. It's silly because I can't get sick, but it's just an old habit I can't shake. Back in my day medicine wasn't that great and if you got sick chances were that you would die. I think illness would be the worst form of death. The slow suffering and the eventual realization that you won't be able to recover. I hate to even think about it," she shuddered.

"Wow that's uh, that's different. And deep, and slightly terrifying when I think about it like that. I'll start to take better care of myself if that helps."

"Yes, please do," Lyssa nodded in agreement.

"What else are you scared of?"

"Bears."

"Bears?" Bex smiled.

"You smile now, but it's all fun and games until a grizzly mauls you to death," Lyssa mocked her.

"Has that happened to you before?"

"Yes. And it was terrifying. Nothing to put into perspective how powerless you are like a beast mauling you to death."

"But you're a vampire..."

"My skin isn't steel, and I may be strong but back then I didn't know how to defend myself. You try fighting off a bear that weighs a ton as it smashes your head in."

"Okay, okay, you win," Bex shuddered at the thought of a bear mauling her.

Lyssa smiled and pulled Bex into her arms, laying back down on the bed. Bex turned to get more comfortable, nuzzling her head into Lyssa's shoulder. For a moment both girls just laid in silence. Lyssa resumed twirling a lock of Bex's hair around her finger and Bex just stayed looking into Lyssa's chartreuse eyes. Lyssa smiled at her, which caused Bex to blush.

"What are you thinking about?" Bex asked.

"How nice it is to have someone to talk to again. I can't even recall my last real conversation before you. I think I almost forgot the sound of my own voice."

"That's really sad," Bex moved even closer.

"Not anymore," Lyssa said softly.

This made Bex turn redder.

Bex let her eyes drift to Lyssa's black-painted lips. She could see the tiniest hint of Lyssa's fangs sticking out. Her mouth watered at the sight of the very plump and inviting lips.

"What are you thinking about?" Lyssa shot back.

Bex quickly tore her eyes away and turned a deep red.

"Nothing," She said too quickly.

Lyssa gave her a knowing smirk.

Lyssa's pointed ears perked up at the sound of incoming footsteps. She quickly sat up and put some distance between her and Bex. Bex gave her a confused look.

"Someone is coming," Lyssa said in her fake accent.

Bex sat up just as her bedroom door opened.

"Bex I'm hungry, make food. Mom is being lazy today..." Abby trailed off as her eyes met Lyssa. "Om mum mum. I'm gonna tell mom," Abby sang.

"Don't be a snitch, besides we weren't doing anything. Just talking," Bex narrowed her eyes.

"Is she gonna make food?" Nathan poked his head in.

"Urgh." Bex groaned.

"Busted," He said.

"We aren't even doing anything!"

"True at least you two aren't trying to hook up again," Abby snickered.

"Get out!" Bex felt her face go red.

"Hey, no shouting," Her dad poked his head in.

The room went silent for a moment.

Bex shot Lyssa a look that said, now is your cue!

Lyssa cleared her throat and stood up.

"Hello, Mr. Cross. I am sorry for once again intruding without permission. I know we have had our differences and I would personally like to apologize for any trouble I may have caused. Rebecca and I are no longer together, but I would like to continue to be her friend. Please don't kick me out."

Bex's dad turned to Bex and raised an eyebrow. Bex clasped her hands together and gave a pleading look. He took a deep breath before saying,

"You get one more chance, don't make me regret it."

Bex sighed in relief.

"Thank you, sir. I will do my best to not disappoint you."

"Now I gotta explain this to your mother," He complained to Bex before walking out.

"Now about the food?" Abby asked.

"I can order takeout." Lyssa offered.

"Really?" Nathan eyed her.

"I'm rich," She shrugged.

"In that case, I want sushi!" Abby declared.

"Ew, no way. We are getting Stake dinner!" Nathan challenged.

Bex facepalmed.

"Rebecca?" Lyssa turned to her.

"Uh, you already know what I like. You pick," Bex moved her hand and forced herself to meet Lyssa's eyes.

"In that case, shall we get Italian?" Lyssa asked.

"I can do that," Nathan nodded.

"Me too," Abby agreed.

"Sounds great to me," Bex smiled.

Lyssa smiled at her smile. She really did like that smile. She stared too long and Bex had to clear her throat.

"Right, um I shall order," Lyssa snapped out of it.

Abby and Nathan shared a look and snickered.

"You two can get out now," Bex snapped at them.

"Just come and get us when the food is here." Nathan ducked out.

"What he said," Abby followed after.

Lyssa pulled out her phone to make an online order.

"I've been meaning to ask you. How exactly do you know what I like? It's kind of creepy," Bex made a face.

"One's surroundings can be very telling."

"Meaning?"

"Meaning that night you caught me watching you I had just gone through not only your room but your entire house. I wanted to know what I was dealing with. You had an ungodly number of takeout boxes in here as well as receipts to fast food places. I am surprised you don't have a vermin problem. Also, social media can be very telling as well."

"Wow, sorry I asked. That's super stalkerish."

"I was curious, you can't tell me you wouldn't do the same in my position."

"Nope can't say that I would."

Lyssa rolled her eyes.

Once the food was there the entire Cross family joined by Lyssa eyed the extravagant feast. Enough food to feed two families.

"Holy cow! Look at it all..." Abby's mouth watered.

"I change my mind, I like you. You sure know a way to an old man's heart," Bex's dad patted Lyssa's shoulder.

"Well let's not stare and dig in!" Bex's mom went to the dining table.

Bex grabbed Lyssa's hand and led her to the table, forcing her to sit next to her. Bex's mom passed out plates and served everyone one at a time. She was about to serve Lyssa when Bex stopped her,

"Oh uh, she has food allergies."

"Oh?" Her mom turned to Lyssa.

"Yeah, it's pretty brutal. I ate before I came don't worry."

"Are you sure? What are you allergic to?" Her mom pushed.

"Gluten, dairy, red meat, many fruits, and veggies. The list goes on. I basically have to eat cardboard," Lyssa lied.

"Wow, that sucks," Nathan said.

His dad shot him a look.

"I am used to it, but you guys enjoy. Think of it as my apology for being such a handful and getting Rebecca into some trouble," She smiled.

"Well, we appreciate the effort. But honestly, you didn't have to spoil us like this. Pizza would have been just fine," Bex's mom said.

"I guess I'm old fashioned," Lyssa smirked.

Bex smirked to herself at the comment.

"Well, you are more than welcome to stay after for our Sunday night tradition. Family game night, today's game is monopoly."

Everyone but Bex's parents groaned.

Lyssa snickered.

"Mom, can't we play a better one?" Bex tried.

"No way, it's my turn to pick and I pick monopoly."

"You always pick monopoly," Nathan pointed out.

"It's because it's the only one she and dad are good at," Abby snickered.

Soon the family dissolved into a debate about who was better at what game. Bickering at one another and poking fun at each other. Lyssa watched them laugh and playfully tease each other, watching them made her feel lonely.

She thought of her family, her vampire family. Her pack. She would be lying if she said she never missed them, but things were complicated. She couldn't go back to them now, not after everything. The truth was she would probably never have anything like a family ever again. This thought really brought her down.

Bex turned to Lyssa as she could feel her sudden mood change.

"You okay?" Bex whispered as her family was still in a heated debate.

"Of course," Lyssa lied.

"I can feel you," Bex pointed out.

"I am just being sentimental, this is nice. I like it."

"You are more than welcome to join us every Sunday for game night. Maybe with you, I might have a chance at winning one," Bex joked, trying to lighten her mood.

"I would very much like that," Lyssa smiled.

Bex smiled back and interlocked her free hand with one of Lyssa's.

After Bex and her family were happily stuffed to the max they put away the leftover food and brought out monopoly. It didn't take Lyssa long to dominate at the game much to the dismay of Bex's parents. Before the second hour was up Lyssa had the whole board and won.

"Guess you'll have to start picking a new game mom," Nathan teased.

"Oh poo. I thought I had it," she frowned.

"Looks like your crown has been stolen," Her husband comforted her.

"You were supposed to let me win," Bex pouted.

"I thought we agreed on no coddling," Lyssa teased.

Bex playfully pushed her.

"Alright I think it's time you get home, it's getting pretty late," Bex's mom said.

"Yes, ma'am. Let me just get my phone out of Bex's room."

The two quickly went upstairs and into Bex's room.

"See you tomorrow at school?" Bex said.

"Actually, I was wondering. If maybe I could come back tonight. Not to drink from you just to... Listen to your heartbeat..." Lyssa averted her gaze to the ground.

"Of course. Just make sure my parents don't catch you."

Lyssa looked up and met Bex's eyes.

Bex flashed her smile.

Lyssa felt her chest tighten at the sight of it.

"Then I will be back later tonight, leave your window unlocked in case you fall asleep."

Bex nodded.

Lyssa then gave Bex a quick friendly hug before going downstairs and leaving for home. Bex felt her face flush. Her heart was racing she just hoped Lyssa hadn't heard it.

Then she took a shower and got ready for bed. She was sure to brush her teeth extra good, she didn't want any traces of garlic on her breath. Then she tidied up her room some more and got in bed. Her parents popped in to say goodnight and soon the house was dark, and everyone was in bed.

Bex made sure to leave her window unlocked and waited. After about two hours she gave up waiting and started drifting off to sleep. Just then a black cat jumped up on the roof and padded over to Bex's window. It used its paw to fiddle with the window and open it up just a crack. Then with its nose, it pushed the window up just enough to slink inside. The cat jumped off the window ledge and into the room before turning into Lyssa.

She closed the window and then eyed Bex who was softly breathing. The bed dipped under her weight as she crawled over to Bex. She paused, not wanting to wake her. Bex mumbled in her sleep but didn't stir. Then she slowly moved the blankets aside and crawled under them.

She nuzzled her head into Bex's chest.

Bex stirred in her sleep at the sudden coldness on her chest. After a moment she opened her eyes and groggily looked at Lyssa.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to wake you," Lyssa said.

"Emm," Bex wrapped her arms around Lyssa and pulled her in closer before closing her eyes to go back to sleep.

Lyssa sighed into her, breathing in Bex's scent.

Bex absently started running her fingers through Lyssa's hair. Softly letting her nails run across Lyssa's scalp.

Lyssa's heart hurt at the familiarity of the scene.

"You okay?" Bex asked as she felt Lyssa's mood change.

"Sorry. Just go back to sleep."

"Don't be sorry for the way you feel. They are your emotions and you are," Bex paused to yawn. "Entitled to them."

Lyssa didn't respond she only nuzzled even closer. Leaving no room at all between her and Bex.

Bex tried to go back to sleep but having Lyssa so close made her cheeks flush. She cringed internally when she realized Lyssa could probably feel how excited she was. Due to the embarrassment, Bex stopped moving her fingers through Lyssa's hair.

'Don't stop.' Was Lyssa's thought.

Bex's eyes shot open as she was confused for a second because it sounded like Lyssa said it out loud, but at the same time, it didn't.

"What did you say?" Bex asked.

"I didn't say anything," Lyssa said into her.

"I just thought I heard something..." Bex closed her eyes and shrugged it off.

'weird,' She thought.

It was Lyssa's turn to open her eyes in alarm.

'oh no,' Lyssa thought.

Bex opened her eyes again.

Lyssa pulled back and they stared at each other in horror.

"Did I just..."

"Yes, we are hearing each other's thoughts," Lyssa confirmed.

'No! just great. This is the last thing I need.'

Lyssa cringed.

Bex felt her cheeks go red.

'oh god, she can hear everything I am thinking! No!' Bex couldn't control her thoughts.

'Please stop,' Lyssa thought.

'How am I supposed to stop thinking!?'

'You don't have to, just keep your thoughts under control and I shall do the same.'

'That going to be hard when you are freaking laying so close! Oh god, uh just ignore that last part. Is that even possible? Just great I was still getting a handle on the emotion part now I got to figure out how to control this too! Ahh!'

"Rebecca," Lyssa said out loud to stop Bex's spiraling thoughts.

"Sorry," Bex said sheepishly.

"Just think of counting sheep or something until you fall asleep."

"Counting sheep, I can do that," Bex nodded.

"Do you want me to leave?" Lyssa asked.

"No, uh, I mean, only if you want to."

'Please don't leave,' Bex thought.

Then her cheeks went bright red knowing Lyssa heard it. Lyssa just shook her head and smiled before once again nuzzling into Bex. Bex once again wrapped her arms around her and started running her fingers through Lyssa's hair again.

Lyssa sighed in content.

'She smells really nice...' Lyssa thought just before inhaling deeply.

Bex's face went bright red.

'How the heck am I supposed to sleep when you think thoughts like that!' Bex thought.

'Sorry,' Lyssa cringed.

For a moment both cleared their minds. When Bex could no longer do that she started counting sheep. Lyssa's thoughts echoed hers, helping her keep track of all the sheep as she counted along.

Soon Bex was off to sleep and Lyssa got to experience her dreams as she rested her head on Bex's chest. Letting the strong steady heartbeat lull her into a relaxed trance.

'This isn't so bad...' Lyssa thought to herself.

Bex smiled in her sleep and snuggled closer to Lyssa. Lyssa closed her eyes and pretended to sleep. She could get used to this.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

706 76 28
A vampire's submissive mate gets a taste of freedom and realizes that she no longer wants to submit. - When the vampire Ansa comes back to town, ever...
141K 5.2K 46
There are normal people and then there is Jade Tate. The girl who is everything, she has brains, beauty, and talent. The issue? I am in love with her...
4.3K 210 25
Dess, a bartender and waitress with a complicated past, faces an impossible situation but finds a lifeline as a blood donor for Lysander Varshawsky...
9.7K 1.4K 49
One inexperienced introverted girl, an appealing rich daredevil, one domineering sultry blonde, a bully, the psychopath and the gregarious best frien...