Something Sweet

By jamiemwong

Maisey is a 17 year old high school senior who works for her mother's catering business. She has dreams to go... More

Prologue
Ch. 1
Ch. 2
Ch. 3
Ch. 4
Ch. 5
Ch. 6
Ch. 7
Ch. 8
Ch. 9
Ch. 10
Ch. 11
Ch. 12
Ch. 13
Ch. 14
Ch. 15
Ch. 16
Ch. 18
Ch. 19
Ch. 20
Ch. 21
Ch. 22
Ch. 23
Ch. 24
Ch. 25
Ch. 26
Ch. 27
Ch. 28
Ch. 29
Ch. 30
Ch. 31
Ch. 32
Ch. 33
Ch. 34
Ch. 35
Ch. 36
Ch. 37
Ch. 38
Ch. 39
Ch. 40
Ch. 41
Ch. 42
Epilogue

Ch. 17

178 6 11
By jamiemwong

"Shut the front door," Anna squealed and almost slammed on her brakes.

Brennan and I have been texting and talking on the phone the past few days and he asked me out to dinner. I could hardly believe it and as soon as that text came through, I dropped my phone on my floral comforter and started running around my room to expend some of the excitement and bursting energy from my body.

Once I had jumped up and down multiple times and danced around my room, I plopped myself on my bed and picked up the phone.

"That would be great!" I casually texted back. Thank god, he can't see me.

"So where is he taking you?"

"Piper's."

Piper's is a super trendy restaurant and lounge that you don't have to be 21 to enter. It's got food, game rooms, couches and seats for lounging complete with fireplaces. The game rooms aren't arcade games or Chuck E. Cheese games. There are tables for board games and also rooms for more "sophisticated" games like pool and cards. No skee ball or air hockey there.

It's also a big hang out for Ridge Falls elites and all the prep and private school kids. I've been once or twice before with Jack to hang out with some of his school friends, but he doesn't go there often and I'd never think to go without him.

"You should have Jack go there with his friends too. Just to have someone there in case you need it," Anna advised.

"I don't want Jack spying or worse, chaperoning my date!"

"He doesn't have to be watching you! Just in the same building. You don't even really know this Brennan guy that well and you only met him once. What if he tries to kidnap you?! Or what if he's a huge jerk in person? Wouldn't you like to have Jack nearby?"

I hate when she's right.

"I guess you make some good points," I replied reluctantly.

"Look, I get it, you're excited about him and that would make anyone want to dive in head first. But, as your best friend, it's my job to look out for you when you're not thinking clearly or you know blinded by loooooove," she teased .

"Oh please, you just said I hardly know him, I can't be in looooove with him," I swatted her arm at the red light.

"I'm just teasing," she laughed. "Do you think Paris told him to ask you out?"

"I don't know. I don't even know if she ended up asking him about me like she said she was going to. She doesn't really have a reason to want to help me out."

"Yeah, she does."

"Why would she want to help me out with a guy?"

"So you stay away from hers, duh."

"There's nothing going on between me and Luke so what would she be keeping me away from exactly?"

"It doesn't need to make sense. Besides even if you claim there's nothing between you two, that doesn't mean nothing could happen and she doesn't want that. And even if nothing ever happens between you two, she is probably threatened by you guys being friends. But if you're busy with your own boo then she doesn't need to worry as much."

"True. But Paris is a self-centered bitch. The last thing she would want is to see me happy with a guy."

"The last thing she wants is to see you happy with her guy."

I couldn't argue with that. It made a lot of sense. It was in Paris' best interest to get me away from Luke. Even us just being friends is threatening to her.

"Anyway, call Jack and tell him about Piper's."

"Okay, I will."

****

Jack was all for going to Piper's on the same night I'd be there with Brennan. He rounded up a few of his friends to go there for dinner and to play some pool. He suggested he drive me and for me to tell Brennan I would meet him there, claiming that since I didn't really know Brennan yet it might not be a good idea for him to know where I live and then be alone in a car with him if he ended up being a psycho. I tried to reason that Paris knows him so he can't be that dangerous, but that didn't seem like a selling point for Jack.

"Okay, fine, I'll tell him I'll meet him there. But we can't walk in together or else he'll know you brought me."

"Fine, whatever," he acquiesced.

I brought over a meal I cooked ahead of time to Luke's that evening so I could go back home and get ready for my date. Beautifying myself takes time. At least that's what I tell myself....and Luke when he asked why I was in a hurry. According to him I don't need to spend that much time getting ready, I already look great, but he's just being nice. And a guy who doesn't know any better.

****

I walked in to Piper's a few minutes before Jack, instructing him to wait 3 minutes before leaving his car and heading in. Piper's had dim lighting, dark wood walls, wood tables, and leather couches and loveseats. There were big flat screen tvs and fireplaces around the whole large space. I looked around to see if I could spot Brennan, but I didn't see him immediately. I was about to call or text him, I wasn't sure which I should do, when I felt a hand on my elbow. I turned and was happy to see Brennan standing right behind me.

I looked up at Brennan, who towered over me by a good 7 or 8 inches, his blonde hair looking lighter against the dark lighting and furnishings of the environment. He had a little bit of stubble on his face and looked so cute leaving me almost speechless.

"Hey, you look great," he gave me a hug.

I tucked my hair behind my ear. "Thanks," I smiled and blushed a bit. I fidgeted with the hem of my denim jacket that I wore over my coral and white chevron maxi dress.

"Our table is ready, come on," he took my hand and led me to the back corner where a round table sat next to a fireplace.

A few people looked at us as we walked by and it gave me a small thrill inside to be seen with Brennan. Not just seen with him, but to be walking hand in hand with him. I've never been the kind of girl to seek popularity, but I don't know - there was a certain excitement about being with Brennan and having people look at me in awe or jealousy or even like I sort of belonged amongst them. Him leading me by the hand to our table felt like I was actually being let into the in-crowd.

I sat down and tried to not let my nerves show. "So what's good here?" I asked while I flipped open the menu and kept my eyes down, scanning the food choices. I was too nervous to look at Brennan and make eye contact.

"Honestly, everything is great here. But, I'm not a picky eater."

"Neither am I, which is good because food is basically my life," I chuckled.

"Oh right, you mentioned that you work for your mom's catering business, right?"

"Yup. I want to be a chef, so this is good practice."

"That's so cool. I like to consider myself a foodie, but don't ask me to cook for you. It will only end badly," he laughed.

"You can't be that bad!"

"I'm not bad per se, but I'm not good either. I mean, I can survive, but it's not the tastiest and prettiest meals."

"Well at least you can cook and survive. That's all that matters."

"So I think you said you've been cooking for Luke and his mom?"

"Yeah. Just until she's back on her feet and her arms heal."

"Luke can't do the cooking for the two of them?"

"He might be able to now. At first he was pretty hopeless, but he's really improved a lot since I started cooking there."

"Maybe you won't have to cook for them as long as you think then."

"Yeah, maybe."

I didn't really want to think about that. Going to Luke's to cook dinner every weeknight had become second nature. I'd been doing it for so many weeks now that the idea of suddenly not going anymore felt weird and made me start to panic, frankly.

"But, I think his mom would appreciate a variety of foods and some healthy ones rather than all the pasta he can make."

"That's probably true," he chuckled and then shrugged. "Just trying to get you out of there sooner. I'm sure you can't wait to have more free time."

"It really hasn't been an issue yet. Plus, it's not forever. Eventually she'll be back up and able to do things."

"That's before you met me. Just think, once you're free from your weeknight cooking, you'll have more time for dates."

"That's a little presumptuous of you isn't it?" I said in a flirty manner. "What if I have a terrible time tonight?"

"Hmm well, the fact that you haven't decided what you want to eat and the waitress has been hovering around us for the past few minutes to see if we're ready to order yet, tells me that you're enjoying our conversation so much that you - the future chef - haven't even looked at the menu yet."

Damn, he's right. Am I that predictable?

"You're a distraction," I smirked and made a point to dramatically open the menu and look at it, refusing to look up.

We finally placed our orders - we got a nachos to share and I ordered the pulled pork tacos. I really wanted the blooming onion, but I thought if I want to leave the possibility for a goodnight kiss open then I probably shouldn't smell like onions. As we waited for our food, Luke started telling me what student life at Chapman was like. He showed me a photo on his phone of what his uniform looked like - forest green polos and khaki pants. He told me about the classes he's taking this year and we compared schedules. He was right in the middle of telling me about his lacrosse team when my phone started vibrating in my lap. I tried to look down discreetly at my phone that I placed under my napkin.

Jack: Everything good? He hasn't tried to drug you, kidnap you, and dismember you? Yet?

Me: All good so far (thumbs up emoji)

"Sorry, my friend texted me."

"To see if you needed an excuse to leave?" He teased.

"Just making sure you haven't murdered me," I said with a wink.

"On a first date? That'd be rude."

I laughed. His sense of humor was really helping to make me feel at ease and not so nervous about this date. I appreciated it more than he could know because he couldn't possibly understand just how painfully awkward I am in social situations.

We talked, laughed, and ate some more and with each passing minute the more comfortable I became. I was just laughing at a comment Brennan made about Paris' high strung demeanor at the bonfire when I caught Jack out of the corner of my eye. To someone who didn't know him he looked like he was just perusing the shelves for a board game to play, but I knew he was spying. No one stares at Monopoly for that long and I knew for a fact that the friends he was with had no interest in board games.

Brennan must have caught my gaze constantly darting over in Jack's direction because he asked me if that was someone I know. I had two options: 1) lie so that he doesn't realize how crazy my friends are 2) tell him the truth since if things work out between us he's going to meet Jack at some point and he'd know I lied.

"Uh that's my friend, Jack. He's the one who texted me before. Sorry about that," I leaned my head down and shielded my face in embarrassment.

"I think it's nice that your friends care enough about you to make sure you're okay."

"Spying might be a little much, though."

"So invite him over. Then, he can meet me and he won't be spying anymore."

"Are you sure?"

Part of me wanted to know what Jack's first impression of Brennan would be. He's a great judge of character. But, part of me also didn't want him to witness me being a nervous dork or something on this date. I mean, it's not like it's my first date or anything. I've been on 3 dates, thank you very much, which makes me basically a pro. If pro means totally inexperienced.

"Yeah, it'd just be weird if you don't have him come over at this point."

Jack was trying to watch us out of the corner of his eye, but not really being that slick about it.

Note to self: Tell Jack to never try to be a CIA agent.

I waved him over. He looked startled to know that not only had I seen him but that I wanted him to come over.

He returned the board game he had pretended to be looking back to its spot on the shelf and walked over.

"Brennan, this is one of my best friends, Jack. Jack, Brennan." They shook hands and did one of those head nods that means something to guys.

"Hey, man, how's it going?" Brennan asked Jack, who towered over us as we sat at our table.

"I'm just here with some friends. I thought I spotted Maisey. You guys having a nice time?"

"Yeah, the food is great here. We're about to order some dessert."

I said this to shoo Jack away, but Brennan asked him if he wanted to join us for dessert.

"Oh, really? I - " and before he could finish his thought, I looked at him with a death stare that could freeze his blood.

"I - uh, that's probably not a good idea. I should probably get back to my friends."

"Are you sure?" I asked him to sound polite in front of Brennan, but I gave him a hard look.

"Yeah, they're probably wondering what's taking me so long to be honest."

"Oh maybe next time then," Brennan said in a friendly manner.

"Yeah, next time for sure. I'll see you later, Maisey." He put his hands in his pockets and walked away.

I smiled at Brennan like a "sorry about that" kind of smile and we got back to our conversation as we shared a slice of chocolate mousse cake.

30 minutes later, I was back in Jack's car heading home. Eager to find out what he thought of Brennan. Unless it was going to be bad, then I would change my mind about him being a good judge of character and start telling people that he doesn't know shit.

"So, don't leave me in suspense. What'd you think of Brennan?" I asked after a few minutes in the car and he hadn't made any mention of the elephant in the room or car.

"He seems like a cool guy." Oncoming headlights light up Jack's face as he talks to me.

"That's it? He's a cool guy?"

"We only spoke for like 2 minutes, Maisey," Jack glanced at me and then back to the road. "I didn't get bad vibes from him if that's what you're wondering, but..."

"But, what?" I pressed.

"I don't know. Something just seems...off. Not like he's a bad guy or anything, just something was weird, but I can't put my finger on it."

"Maybe he was just nervous to meet you so he seemed a little off?"

"That's possible. But you had a nice time?"

I grinned, "Yeah." Thank god for the dark car or else he'd be able to see how bright my cheeks were.

"Then, that's all that matters," he turned his face towards me again and gave me a reassuring smile.

"But I want you to like him!" If I were outside and maybe 4 years old, I would emphasize this with a stomp.

"I know, but I really don't know him. All I can say is I don't get bad vibes from him, he seems cool and all, but there just seems like something is off. But, you could be right, maybe he was nervous."

"I'm sure that was it." I said.

This talk was not making me feel better. If anything, I was feeling more anxious. Was I blinded by my giddiness of having Brennan want to spend time with me and take me out on a date, that I didn't notice anything wrong with him?

Jack must've noticed me getting lost in my thoughts because he interrupted my wild thoughts by reiterating that as far as he could tell Brennan seemed like a cool guy.

"Maybe we can hang out all together. Invite Anna. We'll hang out and get to know Brennan better and you'll get to spend time with him, getting to know him too."

"That sounds like a great idea. Let's see if he asks me on a second date first."

"He will."

"How do you know?"

"I could just tell. It's a guy thing. We can tell when a guy is really into a girl. Usually it makes a girl more irresistible - you know, knowing that another guy is interested in her. But you don't have to worry about me there." We both laughed at the idea of him trying to get with a girl.

"Well, I hope you're right. I think I really like him."

"Invite him to hang out with us. That way we'll all get to know him better. And I'm sure Anna will feel a lot better once she's met and approved of him so I don't need to get a barrage of text messages and phone calls asking for a play by play"

"Okay, let's not jump the gun here. Let's see if he asks me out again first. He might've thought I was totally boring tonight or not worth a second date."

"Hello, Maisey, this is 2021. You don't need to follow some archaic rule. If you want to talk to him or ask him out, do it!"

"You're right. Why do I have to wait to see if he wants to see me again? I'll try texting him tomorrow and see what happens."

I'm in charge of my own life and I should start acting like it. Although it would just be so much easier if he texts me first.

_______________________________________________________________

Thanks for reading! Would you ever ask someone out or wait for them to ask you? 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

410 25 35
Briley is an 16 year old girl who faces bullying throughout her high school life and then the bad boy comes along will she fall for him or is it a tr...
2.1K 514 42
Sarah is an ordinary girl, who lives in a town far away from the world hassle. A town which is a small world of its own. A lot has happened with Sar...
456 23 13
Sisters of the Winx. They say true love never ends. How true is that to a girl who has fallen in love a lot and had her heart broken every time? It's...
212 25 21
Mandy was always one to falsely romanticize her life. She found her first love at a young age in her Martial Arts class, and wrote a love letter to h...