The Gift of the Princess (HTT...

נכתב על ידי PedePaulie

Princess Eira of Torvald is pleased to have found her place in the archipelago. She is doing good work on Ber... עוד

Daily Struggles
The Dragon Trappers
Gathering Information
Little Progress
Working it Out
An Old Friend
Dragon Training
An Unexpected Turn
Clashing
The Search
Critical Choices
Discovered
Reunion
Fading Fast
New Plan
Recruits and Setbacks
One Step More
Final Preperations
The Brawl
A Stronger Power
A New Chapter
Cut Off
Adjusting
Conversations
Village Life
A Chief's Predicament
Protection
Disappearances
Insights
Getting to the Bottom of Things
The Truth
Figuring Things Out
Striking Back
Roadblocks
Changes of Heart
The Right Way
Hostile Welcome
Working Hard
Differences of Opinion
Options
The Meeting
Brave and Bold
Taming
Conquering Fears
Drago's Plan
Wild One
The Second Attempt
Moving Forward
Pressure Mounting
Lingering Doubts
Taking Charge
Going All Out
Dwindling Chances
Redemption
Taking Sides
Brewing Storm
Fully Prepared
Showdown
New Beginnings
Epilogue

Obstacles

149 5 1
נכתב על ידי PedePaulie

Chapter 23: Obstacles

The bright sunshine woke Eira and the others, and they quickly got ready for the day. The dragons seemed eager to get out there and fly, but the Vikings needed to go over their plan one more time. "Is everything clear?" Eira said, looking around at each person. "If we're stopped, we need to agree with peaceful terms, even if that means being temporarily separated from our dragons."

"I do not like it," Viggo said. "Even if we find an otherwise well-meaning village, we're putting ourselves at a disadvantage."

"Can you think of a better plan?"

Viggo's eyes briefly flickered to Krogan. "Not without risking casualties, which we've already ruled out."

"We can do it!" Dagur said. "We just have to find the most friendly-looking people."

Eira nodded. "Let's split up and look for an island that seems most likely to let us pass." She glanced at Oliver. "You're coming with me."

"Fine," Oliver grumbled.

Before anyone could even move to their dragons, a Terrible Terror swooped down and landed on Eira's shoulder. "How come they never smack you in the face?" Dagur complained.

Eira ignored him and opened the letter attached to the Terror. "It's from Hiccup! He says their normal traders are refusing to trade with them, and the other villages are acting hostile. Eret says the Northern Alliance is behind and patrolling the waters."

"Which we already knew," said Krogan. "This is bad. Clearly, this is a large scale operation."

"We need to get back to them now!" Dagur said.

"First, I want to write a letter to Haldor and explain the situation so he's aware," Eira said. "If the worst happens, we can try to find a Terrible Terror to write to Hiccup."

Dagur nodded. "Good idea. Maybe he can send help."

"It would take two weeks at minimum for any help to arrive," said Viggo. "By then this may be over... or too late."

"We won't think about that," Eira said as she pulled out paper and a quill. "The rest of you can get started. I'll be out there as soon as I finish this." Dagur, Viggo, and Krogan mounted their dragons and took off while Eira quickly scribbled a letter to her older brother. Soon, the Terrible Terror was on his way with the letter, and Eira and Oliver set off as well.

Eira spent a good amount of time scouring the waters for friendly activity. The dragon trappers and soldiers were still in their boats, and she and Oliver made sure to avoid them. The villages she came across did not appear too promising either. Eventually, she returned to the uninhabited island, where her friends were already waiting for her.

"I found an island that may be our best bet," Krogan said, "unless you have something better."

Eira shook her head. "No. Go ahead and lead the way."

Ruby took off towards the east, and the other dragons followed. Soon, Eira spotted what must have been their destination: a small island with a tiny village and few ships in the port. There were no dragon trappers or soldiers from the Northern Alliance as far as she could tell. "We need to quietly fly through their forest on the right side of the island," Krogan said in a low voice. "With some luck, no one may even notice us."

Oliver looked at Ruby, likely taking in her massive size. "That seems doubtful."

"We're just passing through," Dagur said. "There's no harm in that."

Eira had a bad feeling about this, but there was no way around it. The riders followed Krogan to an area of the island devoid of people. Fortunately, they were able to slip into the forest without being noticed. Eira started to think they would make it when, suddenly, Vikings dropped out of the trees, barring weapons.

"Intruders!" one of the men shouted, and the others charged. The dragons growled and pushed back the men with their tails and claws.

"No!" Eira shouted. "We're not intruders. We just want to get home." She hoped off Swiftwings and began to soothe her by gently rubbing her neck. "It's alright."

The other riders followed their lead and dismounted. They stood in front of their dragons to prevent them from attacking the men, who halted their assault but eyed them suspiciously. "We don't want to fight," Dagur said. "Take us to your leader."

"That is unnecessary," said a female voice. Eira turned around to see a tall woman with dark brown hair that hung at her shoulders and ocean blue eyes. "I am Chief Reidun, and this is Torleif Island."

***

Hiccup spent most of the morning discussing the current situation with the dragon riders and village elders. They all agreed a cautious approach was best until they figured out who was behind everything. Scouts were sent out to investigate while other Vikings took charge of procuring supplies. For now, they had enough to survive.

Hiccup managed to escape long enough to make it to the forest with Toothless. "Rough morning, huh, bud?" Hiccup said as they walked together, and Toothless snorted. For some reason the dragons were more worked up than usually, keeping the alpha busy as well. "Hey, at least there have been no attacks or dragon trapper sightings." Not that he expected that to last. It was only a matter of time before their unknown enemy made his move.

Toothless stopped abruptly and sniffed their air. Hiccup dared not say anything in case it was the Light Fury he smelled. He nodded at Toothless, who slowly proceeded forward. Hiccup waited until the Night Fury was nearly out of sight before following. He was glad he was around dragons so much, for that probably masked his scent from the timid dragon.

Sure enough, Hiccup soon spotted Toothless approaching the Light Fury. This time, the Light Fury appeared less aggressive, allowing Toothless to move close to her and greet her. Toothless smiled when she let out a hesitant greeting in return. He walked around her, talking happily, while she followed him with her eyes.

Hiccup watched them interact for several minutes. They seemed to get along just fine, which pleased him. Now that she had learned that Toothless was not a threat, he wondered if she would accept the presence of the Viking. He took several steps forward, freezing when he accidentally stepped on a twig, creating a cracking sound.

The Light Fury whipped her head towards him, growling. Without warning, she shot a plasma blast at him, which he barely had enough time to dodge by jumping into a bush. Toothless called out in alarm, but she pushed passed him and bounded toward Hiccup. The Viking instinctively reached for his sword but then stopped. He wanted this dragon to trust him, and the weapon might aggravate her further.

His hesitation cost him as the Light Fury readied another plasma blast. Toothless rammed into her shoulder, redirecting the blast harmlessly into the trees. Then he snarled at her while his back glowed alpha blue. The Light Fury hesitated, and Toothless took this chance to push Hiccup onto his back and take off into the air. As a final measure, he roared at the Light Fury.

"Slow down!" Hiccup said. "She's not chasing after us... I think." Toothless growled in response. "Look, I know that didn't go exactly as planned, but we'll figure something out. I'm sure she'll come around next time!"

Toothless snarled his disapproval. As soon as they reached the village, he knocked Hiccup off his back by rolling over and then lay down with his arms over him, trapping him. "Toothless!" Hiccup protested. "I'm not going to look for her now!" Toothless snorted, and Hiccup sighed.

"Need I ask what you're doing?" Gobber said, looking down at Hiccup, who gave him a weak smile.

"Just hanging out."

Gobber did not look amused. "If you're done playing around, we need to discuss the dragon problem."

Hiccup frowned. "What dragon problem?"

"All the dragons you keep rescuing are overwhelming the village! We can't take much more of this."

Hiccup furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. "Why don't they just go to the forest?"

"I don't know, maybe because you're always talking about what a utopia Berk is? With all the Vikings doting on them, no wonder they want to stay!"

Hiccup sighed. "I'll deal with it." He gave Toothless a hopeful look, but the Night Fury did not budge. "As soon as I can move."

***

Chief Reidun looked each dragon rider in the eye before speaking, "Who is your leader?"

Dagur stepped forward. "I am Dagur, chief of Berserker Island. This is my wife, Eira, her brother, Oliver, and our friends, Viggo and Krogan. And these are our dragons." The soldiers tensed at his last sentence.

"We don't mean you any harm," Eira said. "We just want to get home."

"Unfortunately, that is a problem," Reidun said. "Even if I believe you are well-meaning, I cannot allow you to leave with those dragons."

Dagur's expression darkened slightly. "And why not?'

"Suffice to say, it would go against this interests of our village."

"Are you working with the Northern Alliance?" Krogan asked.

Reidun stared at him. "We have reached a mutual agreement, yes. However, they are not the reason you are our enemies. Your alliance with dragons has caused us great harm."

"That was not our intention," Eira said.

"And we don't even know you," said Dagur.

"Yes, now that I've met you, I can tell many of your actions were likely out of ignorance," Reidun said. "In that case, I will offer you leniency and allow you safe passage if you leave your dragons behind."

"I'm afraid we cannot do that," Viggo said. "They are our friends, and we don't abandon our friends."

Reidun pursed her lips. "I see."

"I think this is all a big misunderstanding," Eira said. "If we've caused you harm, it was from lack of knowledge. Tell us about the problems, and we can work to fix them together. I admit we haven't done a great job in considering how our actions affect other villages. Help us solve that, and we'll show you what we're all about."

"I know what you're all about." Reidun looked around at the dragons once more, and they eyed her curiously. "Even if I were to agree with your opinion on dragons, embracing your ideals ignores reality. It is foolish to believe the world can change." Eire stifled a laugh, and the chief frowned. "Is something funny?"

"I'm sorry, it's just that, the three men with me have all said exactly the same thing at one point. They were my worst enemies... and now they're my closest allies. Just give me a chance, and I can change your mind as well."

Reidun stared at her long and hard. Then she made some sort of signal to her men, and they lowered their weapons. "Very well. As long as you pose no immediate threat, I will you give you a chance to prove yourselves. You may stay with us at the village as our guests... without your dragons."

"But that's-" Dagur started.

"-acceptable," Eira said. "Of course you won't trust us with friends who could kill you in a second. We can ask them to stay in the forest temporarily, but you should know, if they sense we are threatened, they will come to our aid."

Reidun nodded. "Understood. You are free to return home any time without your dragons, as I said. Meanwhile, try your best to show me why I should change my mind, and I will do the same. We do not wish for violence either. If we can come to a peaceful resolution, it will be better for everyone."

Eira smiled. "Yes, thank you."

"We accept your terms... for now," said Dagur. "Give us a few minutes to speak to our dragons?"

"Of course." Reidun motioned to her men, and they all stepped back out of hearing distance.

"That went as wall as could be expected," Viggo said. "The chief is more accommodating than I thought she would be." He glanced at Krogan. "You made an excellent choice."

"Time will tell if that's true," said Krogan.

"We really have to leave our dragons?" Oliver said worriedly.

"Only for a short time," Eira said. She looked around at the dragons. "You guys understand, right?" The dragons appeared reluctant but agreeable.

"Ooo... excellent timing!" Dagur said suddenly, nodding at a nearby Terrible Terror. "Make sure the chief doesn't come back before I finish writing to Heather."

Eira moved to block the villagers' view of Dagur. "Be quick about it." She watched him hurriedly scribble on paper, but he was not fast enough to prevent Reidun from catching sight of the Terrible Terror taking off when she returned.

"What was that?" she said severely.

Dagur gave her a nervous smile. "Just being friendly with the local dragons."

Reidun's eyes narrowed. "I think I will need to set guards on you for the time being. Follow me, and I will get you situated."

While she started off for the village, the dragon riders exchanged glances. They were certainly in for an adventure now! And unlike most, they would have to succeed at this one without their dragons.

***

Toothless finally freed Hiccup, and the chief was able to have a long talk with the local dragons about their space issues. They seemed to understand, and he watched several of them fly towards the forest. Before Hiccup could even think about returning to the Light Fury, Meatlug landed near him, her rider in a panic.

"Hiccup!" Fishlegs exclaimed.

"Fishlegs," said Hiccup, "I'm glad you're here. I have news about-"

"You have to come see this! Strange ships are sailing towards us!"

Hiccup's expression immediately turned serious. He nodded at Hiccup, who growled lowly. "Let's go, bud." He hopped on the dragon, and they took off after Fishlegs and Meatlug, who led them to the docks. The dragon riders were gathered with their dragons, their eyes on the approaching ship. Gobber, Valka, and several other Vikings watched from behind them. Hiccup landed by Astrid. "Why is everyone just standing around?"

"We just got back, and we were waiting for you," Astrid said.

"You don't need my permission to deal with threats. I'm assuming these are the ships you've all seen around the archipelago."

Astrid nodded. "It's them, but we didn't think you'd approve of us attacking those who claim to come in peace. Look at the lead ship."

Hiccup focused his attention on the large ship in the center. He could just make out the figure of a man holding out a white flag. "It has to be a trap."

"Which is why we're ready to strike as soon as they make a move."

"If we can find out who's in charge, all the better," Eret said. "I recognize some of the men in the surrounding ships as warlords in the Northern Alliance but not their leader."

"Then this is a great chance for him to finally introduce himself," said Hiccup. He strode forward with Toothless until they reached the edge of the dock. There they waited for the ship to arrive. It was about time they put a face to their enemy so they knew who they needed to defeat.

המשך קריאה

You'll Also Like

67.6K 1K 19
Part 1: Hiccup runs away with Toothless when Gobber announces that he will be killing the Monstrous Nightmare. Three years later, he flys back to Ber...
20K 365 14
[HTTYD Fanfiction] Hiccup Haddock never knew why he was born, especially among a tribe of dragon-hating Viking. Since childhood, he has been weak and...
4.2K 83 16
It's been three years since Stoick's passing and Drago's defeat. Life for the Berkians has been nothing but good thanks to the Dragon Riders and Chie...
20.3K 467 20
A year after the defeat of Drago, Berk has become a paradise for Vikings and dragons. However, a new enemy threatens to destroy everything that has b...