The Billionaire & I

By dami241

Rewritten and completedβœ” Ophelia Duhamels knows what rock bottom is and vows to never hit it again after gett... More

1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
13.
14.
15.
16.
17.
18.
19.
20.
21.
22.
23.
24.
25.
26.
27.
28.
29.
31.
32.
33.
34.
35.
36.
37.
38.
39.
40.
41.
42.
43.
44.
45.
46.
47.
48.
49.
Epilogue.

30.

25.9K 1.1K 85
By dami241

"Why are you smiling like that?"

"What? Smiling like what?" I coughed leaving behind the memory that now seemed almost like a daydream. William stood in front of me, eyeing me with unguised curiosity. When did he even get here?

"You dazed out for a moment like you were remembering something then started smiling mistily."

"I wasn't remembering anything," I was fast to say, "I'm just happy for you and Erin." I gave a noncommittal shrug. There was nothing to be misty about. We were no longer those people and would never be again.

"For some reason I don't completely believe you." He mused.

"Well neither do I." I turned an accusatory stare on him, taking the attention off me. "You could be lying about not being in the mafia. You could be doing that thing were you actually told me the truth but then said it was a lie so I'd think it was a lie but it was actually the truth."

"I'm almost flattered you believe I have what it takes to be in an actual mafia."

"This could all be part of your ploy." My eyes narrowed suspiciously.

"I'm really not in the mafia, look my fingers aren't crossed." He raised his hands showing his uncrossed fingers but I still stared at him skeptically. After all, there really were complications right?

My gaze slowly moved from his face to his shoe clad feet then back up to his face.

"I'm not showing you my toes Ophelia," He rolled his eyes.

"Fine, I'll drop it for now."

"Are you that worried for me?" He suddenly smiled.

"I am worried but for my wellbeing. Imagine the implications working for a mafia boss would bring to me."

Facing my apartment building again, a flash of blonde hair beside the closed glass door caught my attention. I immediately thought of my sister and her deranged husband and panic swelled in my chest. With quick steps, I reached the door and yanked it open. A gasp left my lips seeing Cecile being pushed harshly against the wall.

"What the hell?" I yelled and attempted to push the blonde haired man away from her. He glared at me, naked contempt clear as day in his light blue eyes. The only expressions I ever saw on his face were smugness, pride and the occasional stupidity but the raw wickedness in his eyes now fit him exceedingly. It equally frightened and angered me.

"You better stay the fuck out of this!" Richmond sneered and the world seemed to slowed in motion as his hand came down in my direction, too fast for me to react. I flinched but the burn never came.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you." I opened my eyes to see William holding Richmond's fist at bay. My lips parted and a sigh of relief escaped.

"Ophelia a-are you okay? I'm so sorry, this is all my fault." I heard the whimper and immediately turned to Cecile but before I could get to her, she crumpled to the ground and started crying. Promptly bending to her level, more anger ran through my body as I saw the red outlines of hand prints all over her arms.

"Get your hand off me!" I heard Richmond yell and turned again to see him trying to shrug off William's hold on him futilely. William glanced at Cecile and I.

"I suggest you leave." He said.

"Who the fuck do you think you are?" Richmond snarled as he finally managed to free himself.

"Someone who won't hesitate to beat the shit out of you and still get you arrested." William warned but his entire demeanour remained calm.

Richmond seemingly sized William up before stepping back a little. He gritted his teeth then stared straight at Cecile. "I want a divorce."

"You want a divorce?" I scoffed. "My sister should be the one divorcing you, you bastard!"

"You better watch your mouth—"

"And you better watch yours." William glared at Richmond who returned the glare.

"I'm done here. How pathetic of you Cecls, hiding behind your bitch of a little sister like the bitc—" his words were abruptly cut short as William's fist connected with the side of his jaw. The action surprised but delighted me greatly.

Richmond tried to retaliate and I instantly stood but William effortlessly blocked the oncoming attack.

"You'll pay for this!" Richmond seethed defeatedly holding onto his bruised jaw.

"No, I won't. Now get out."

Richmond glowered one last time before exiting the building with a rough slam to the door. A sigh I didn't know I was holding left my lips. William brought his phone out of his pant suit pocket and my gaze returned to my sister.

I helped her stand up.

"Are you okay?" I asked and she nodded then almost as fast shook her head. I pulled her into my arms and hugged her. I rubbed her back comfortingly as she silently cried on my shoulder. "What happened?" I questioned after we pulled apart.

"I was in the room when the knocks started. I thought it was the serial killer at first," her smile wobbled, "but then I heard his voice. I don't know how he found me but I didn't answer. The door was suddenly flung open and he started apologising but I told him to just leave me alone and fuck off. That was when things got physical and he started dragging me out of the apartment but I kept resisting. So he kept dragging, threatening and hitting me. I thought our struggle would draw the neighbours attention but it didn't and he succeeded in dragging me down here. I'm so sorry this happened." She bowed her head.

"Hey, none of this is your fault. Richmond is a certified bastard but I'm happy to know you put up a fight."

She smiled but her eyes still showed a sadness almost entirely beyond my understanding. "I don't know what to do next."

"I can help," William who was now done with his phone call said, "if you don't mind. With a lawyer, for the divorce, a restraining order and possibly starting a domestic violence case."

As the meaning of the words registered, my eyes fastened on him taking in his dark hair, fine facial features, rolled up sleeves, tie; just everything. He looked as good and suave as he did every other day yet there was something different. Something I couldn't exactly point out. I zoned back in just in time to catch the last of Cecile's words.

"...I'd love to accept the help but I don't think I'd be able to afford your lawyer. I don't—"

"I can pay." I quickly interjected.

"The cost," her worried eyes turned to me.

"This is the fair chance you've been looking for to win against that bastard." I said and watched as the realisation that had donned on me after William's offer, also donned on her.

"You're right." She sank back.

"I will pay," I sent a meaningful glance William's way, "you can remove the pay from my future paychecks."

He smiled but nodded.

"Thank you, both of you. For coming when you did and now." Cecile wore a watery-eyed smile.

"It's no problem at all. And are you alright?" William's gaze moved over her concernedly.

"I will be."

"The file," I remembered our initial reason for returning to my apartment.

"Let's go up." William said and we all took the elevator up to my floor.

"Fucking stupid asshole." I cursed after seeing the damage the fucker caused to the latch and hinges of my door.

"Do you need help fixing it?" William asked touching the askew handle of the door.

"I have a tool box somewhere, I'll figure it out. You need to get going soon. I'll be right back." I went into my room to search for the bag containing the important file.

"I'll text Ophelia the address and time. And we'll need pictures." I heard William saying as I returned with the file.

"Here," I handed it to him.

His eyes briefly looked over the document before meeting mine. "You don't need to come back with me, the day is nearly over anyway."

"Thank you," I looked back to see Cecile had already left the living room. "For everything."

"Don't mention it." He shrugged and I noticed the redness of his knuckles on his right hand.

"Your hand is brusied." I grimaced.

"The idiot's jaw must be as thick as his head." He chuckled and flexed his fingers.

"Do you need ice?" I stepped forward and gently lifted his hand.

"I'll be fine," he smiled then chided, "and don't be late to work tomorrow,"

"It was just that one time." I drawled.

"I know you were late today."

"Well–"

"Get pictures of everywhere Richmond caused a bruise. I'll see you tomorrow." He smiled again and when he ran his thumb over my hand, I realised I was still holding his. I let it go and soon he was gone.

"William is nice." I looked up to see Cecile smiling lightly.

"He is, isn't he?"

She nodded then faced the door and cringed, "what do we do about the door?"

"We'll soon be out of this apartment anyway."

"We will?"

"There's the downside of a potential serial killer here plus it's a pretty shitty apartment." I laughed at the end.

"Where have you found an apartment then? Will paying for the lawyer affect paying for the rent?" She asked worriedly.

"No, no. It won't. It's the Illston tech staff apartments up in Brooklyn and it's rent free for the first few months for all staff."

"The Illston tech staff apartments?"

"Staff apartments for William's company." I explained.

"Oh." Was all she said but I could tell she had a hundred and one questions at the tip of her tongue.

"My landlord is also pretty shitty and this neighbourhood too and well William happened to notice it all and decided to help."

"And you don't like that?"

"It's not that I'm ungrateful or anything but more and more lately, I find myself in my imaginations, wishing and wondering about things I really shouldn't be." I sighed.

"I remember he was the one who ended things and the breakup really hurt you then and I'm not pitching anything either but I don't think he's a bad guy."

I don't think so either.

"Never mind all that. Are you badly hurt anywhere? Let's take pictures first and get you something cold."

After taking pictures of all the bruises on the sides of her arms, we silently stared at them.

"Do you think I'll be able to win?"

"Yes."

"Okay." She smiled.

"I need to try and salvage the door. Will be you be ready facetime mom and dad after?"

"As ready as I'll ever be." She heaved.

We spent the next thirty minutes trying to restore the door back to normal. God forbid Jiggy saw the state before we managed to fix it. Sighing, I placed the screwdriver on the coffee table.

"Ready?" I asked Cecile.

"I am."

The next hour was a very emotional one. Mom wouldn't stop crying and dad wouldn't stop swearing.

"I'm coming over this weekend." Mom insisted for the umpteenth time.

"There is really no need to mom, everything is going to be okay now. I'll be meeting with a lawyer tomorrow to start on issuing the divorce and getting a restraining order too so you don't have to come all the way here." Cecile protested.

"How do you expect me not to come see you Cece?" Mom sniffed.

"I know mom but I'll be fine."

"She has P there with her, we can go see them in a few weeks," Dad pacified Mom, "just call us when you get there tomorrow Cece." He finished.

"I don't currently have a phone." She answered and mom sighed loudly.

"I'll communicate with Ophelia through the lawyer, okay?"

"Every fifteen minutes." Dad said and Cecile smiled before nodding.

"Cece, it might not be easy but I know you'll grow from this. This is only temporary okay? That man is awful and I'm so so sorry you went through that for years and then the baby," mom sniffed again, "I wish we had known but I'm happy to hear how brave you've been these past few days. Things can only get better from here on." Mom smiled sadly and Cecile nodded again but I noticed the moisture in her eyes.

"Thank you mom." She said.

"No need to thank me honey. Now how's work P?"

"Good." I smiled.

"Good, I just want my girls to be happy. You both deserve all the happiness in the world and it will be yours, just keep pushing forward." She continued and we both smiled with nods.

"But I am glad to see you two together! Honey go get your phone so we can take a picture of them!" Mom urged dad and I groaned while Cecile laughed. This was perfect.

***

30th chapter! Woot woot!🥳

Did you like this chapter? If you did, vote, comment and share everywhere loves! Have a great day everyone!🌟

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

841K 26K 56
"Well I think the best option is that we should get married" I said breaking the silence. "Have you lost your mind" she yelled at me. "Look I know...
216K 8.3K 41
"Don't be rude Brat", the jerk husband of mine whispered in my ears. I rolled my eyes but my temper was rising and rising. "You can't wait to kill me...
29.3K 2.2K 17
"π‘ͺ𝒂𝒏 𝑰 π’ˆπ’†π’• 𝒂 π’Œπ’Šπ’”π’”? 𝑨𝒏𝒅 𝒄𝒂𝒏 π’šπ’π’– π’Žπ’‚π’Œπ’† π’Šπ’• 𝒍𝒂𝒔𝒕 𝒇𝒐𝒓𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓?" β€’β€’β€’ "Only 5 months into this marriage, and we'll part ou...
39.1K 1.7K 62
Gracie is now the CEO of the multimillion-dollar company she built from scratch. To take her revenge on her uncle, who ruined her life, a business ty...