Rise of the Guardians One-Sho...

By lostgirl2411

Here are just some stories of family love between the Guardians. Some surprise friendships between others, an... More

Sugar Highs and Secret Lies
The Dangers of Boredom
The Steps of Saying Goodbye
Bonding Over Memories
Pink Eye
The Voice of Change
We Promise
Thunderstorm
Lynn
Where's Jack?
Please Don't
The Boy of Old
What really happened, Sam?
"Jackie Boy, What Have You Done?"
Holding on, and Letting go
Jack's Past pt. 1
Jack's Past pt. 2
Jack's Past pt. 3
Jack's Past pt. 4
Jack's past pt.5
Jack's past pt 6
Resting
Jack's Past pt. 7
Exhausted
New Ideas & Requests
Jack's Past pt. 8
The Little Moments - Sandy
The Little Moments - Tooth
The Little Moments - North
The Little Moments - Pitch
The Little Moments - Bunny
Sick Day
Fading Promise
Please Read...
Parent Protection
Guardians vs. Seasonals
Guardians vs Seasonals pt.2
Guardians vs Seasonals pt.3
The Secret Meeting
Guardians vs. Seasonals fin.
Silent But Dangerous
Promises Change
The Playlist
Callahan
Natasha & Denver
Emily
Ares & The Seasonals
The Ending
The Beginning
Still a Trickster
Lapse in Time
An Unlikely Friend
I'll Always Find You
Earlier than Expected
New Ways
Character Descriptions
It's Hard Sometimes
Sketching
hope ur okay
Overthinking
Memory Loss
Memory Found
Forgotten Fear
Sadly Caught
Loud Mouth
Bonding Moments
Remember What I Taught You
The Full Story
Connections
broken comptuer
Restart
Manny
A Crush
A New Chapter
Chapter 80
SUPRISE!
SUPRISE pt. 2

Fading Promise pt.2

1.1K 30 17
By lostgirl2411

I know it was different having another update earlier in the week but I felt that the message needed to be put out there. I also needed to say it because I, myself, have relapsed but I am pushing through it by making sure others know that they are loved. Anyways, enough about me y'all didn't come for that. here is the next part to "Fading Promise" !

 @WhatCanIDo9 ! Bunny set a rule that Jack had 2 months to come back after something happens that makes him run off, if he doesn't come back they look for him. But what happens when he doesn't come back? What happens when the wrong thing was found and it may have cost them their snowflake?

enjoy reading. the tissues are still needed, ladies and gents :)

----------------------------

 One Year Ago

"They destroyed it, Bunny! I don't even know how they found it!" Jack was upset that one of his hiding spots had been found by a group of Summer spirits. They had messed the whole place up!

"It's alright, Jackie. We can make you a new one!" The boy turned to look at his father figure with a frown. 

"Where? You don't like the cold?" 

"Well...you like the tunnels and the only person who can get into those is me?" 

It only took an hour to dig out and make a small little hide away for Jack, decorated and put in use if needed. 

"Now you'll always be safe and I'll still be able to find you." 

---------------------------

Bunny walked up to the hole in the wall of the tunnel that was covered in vines. He felt the chill coming from the hole in the wall, knowing that the thing he was looking for was definitely inside. It made sense that he would come here. This was a place that he knew Bunny wouldn't think of at first because it was a place that was the hardest to find. 

He took a deep breath before walking into the small room. There was a nest in the corner, emergency food and water in here in case Jack ever needed to hide for long amounts of time. The perfect place for a time like this. There were small plants that would glow around the walls of the cave that gave off small light. Bunny saw the white hair poking out from under the blanket in the nest. 

Jack could hear Bunny come in. He let out a deep breath that he had been holding. His eyes were burning from so many tears. Jack had been sleeping this whole time, only waking up to drink some water. He had snuck out of the tunnels when he had to use the bathroom but came back before his scent could stay out for to long. He knew it was childish to stay away from this, that it needed to be explained. But it hurt. 

"Jackie?" He watched the bundle of blanket shuffle around. He didn't speak louder than a whisper at the boy. He hopped up to the side of the nest before slowly placing a paw on the white hair. 

"Jackie, will you look at me? Please?" Bunny waited for the blankets to move. He watched as a small hand came out and pushed up the side of the blanket. A small hole was made to see him. Aster didn't think his heart could break anymore but the sight of blood-shot eyes and small frozen tears made his ears press down. 

"Will you let me explain?" Jack bit the inside of his cheek as he looked at his father figure. The rabbit had his head tilted towards him with understanding in his eyes. He nodded before moving over and bringing his head out of the blanket. Aster moved to the edge of the nest sitting right on the outside as Jack looked at him from the blanket. 

"When you were brought into the Guardians, it was sudden. You know that. And then we were stuck on trying to fix our mistakes. We never thought about the book or the subject. We were a group but you made us a family. It never came to mind to bring up the subject. Manny didn't remind us, Sandy didn't think about it, and it never crossed my mind. I know I made promises. And I intend to keep them" 

Jack was silent as he thought back to the first few years of being a Guardian. They had all been concentrated on getting him accustomed to the life of being one of them. They had all worked on gaining his trust and showing him he wasn't alone anymore. He could see how they could forget. He knew he made them happy. A soft smile came on his face as he remembered North being so hesitant towards him and Tooth trying so hard. 

"See? You know that too." Jack rolled his eyes at being caught reminiscing of the past.

"We never kept in mind that there would be another Guardian. Pitch was an exception of someone who knew about the Moon's fading promise. When I was told, I pushed it to the back of my mind and just didn't think of it. I never thought to tell you because you're Jack, my...my kit. I made promises to never leave you again because I knew I wouldn't." 

Aster looked down at Jack to see that he had brought his head out from under the blanket. The boy sat up slowly to sit across from the rabbit. Jack knew that Bunny took the father/son relationship as seriously as he did. Jack had a father growing up, a good one, but the first man in his life damaged him. Bunny had a kid in his past, but they passed when the fearlings attacked. Neither of them wanted to replace the ones they had but it had become something new. 

"W-when will it happen?" Bunny didn't know what to say. None of them really knew when it exactly it was going to happen. Sandy didn't even know. They had asked the little man but he didn't know. All he told them was that Manny would tell them before it started. 

"We don't know, Frostbite. All we know is Manny will let us know and then the helpers will show up." Jack frowned. 

"Y-you mean he will replace you!" Jack's breathing got faster as he thought of them leaving and then just being replaced. 

"No, no, Jack. He is going to send a helper from his own magic. There's no replacements." He watched as Jack processed the information. Jack was smart, smarter than anyone first thought. Bunny waited for the words that Jack wanted to say to come together. 

"But I don't understand. Why does it have to happen?" 

"It's a balance of power. As the years progress, the world's belief grows higher and higher and at some point it might get to much. It will be like a reset button." 

"Will it happen to me? Will I disappear again?" Aster wished he didn't have to say yes, but he couldn't hide the truth from him any longer. 

"Yes. We all will." 

"W-where will we go?" 

"I-I don't know, Jackie." 

Manny never gave details on what would happen, where they would go, how they would fade. Jack bit his lip as he thought about it but couldn't really process it. Being gone for two months with no contact made it exhausting to talk to someone. His eyes felt heavy as he looked back up at Aster who was watching him. Jack finally moved over to him, finally coming out from the blanket. 

Bunny was already ready for the hug, his instincts taking over as he finally had his kit back. He rubbed his chin on the white hair, a purr going through him as the old Pooka senses returned when taking care of a kit. They were a race of Warriors born to fight and be strong but they were also Healers. The most prized thing in their tribes were the Kits. Even the Generals of the armies knew how to take care of the kits. 

"Can we go home now?" Jack mumbled from Bunny's fur. A smile made it's way on to Aster's face as heard the words. He bumped his nose against Jack's temple before moving back. 

"Yes. Let's get you home, kit." 

--------------------------------

Bunny wasn't going to send word to the other's that he found Jack. The boy didn't need all of them breathing down his neck just yet. The rabbit watched from the door way as Jack burrowed into the blankets of his nest. His instincts once again were screaming at him to take him to his nest so he could watch the kit and keep him from danger. But the logical side of Aster knew that the only danger right now was Jack's own thoughts. 

Aster walked out of the house to sit outside. It was night time in the Warren but he still looked at the stars. There was no way to explain how the stars were here other than the fact that the sky was reflected into the sky here. It was like a mirror to the top side. A feeling went up Bunny's spine as a shadow formed behind him. It seems Pitch knew that Jack had been found. 

The Nightmare King sat beside his once greatest enemy other than the Moon himself. They both watched the stars quietly at first but the question was burning Pitch's mind. 

"How is he?" Aster took in a deep breath trying to think of a way to tell the shade. He honestly thought that Jack would be furious with them about it but it almost seemed that he understood. And that was what worried him the most. 

"He isn't as upset as I thought he would be. He was almost, accepting to it." He heard Pitch let out a hmm before everything went quiet again. 

"He is a smart boy, Aster. He doesn't know his emotions well but he is more like you than you think. Even if he hates it, he knows when something has to be accepted." Bunny nodded. He knew that. It didn't make sense to many that the youngest spirit in the immortal world was the most wise in his opinion. That's why he hated so many horrible things happening to Jack. He didn't deserve it. 

"Do you think it will happen?" Aster had never really thought about it after he was told. He had no reason to worry about it then. He said it many times to Jack, they were a group but not a family. Back then, he would have been fine with the fading as long as he knew they would all come back. But now he didn't like it at all. 

"Yes. Manny may be a very quiet man and only give short answers that don't make sense. But the things he says are true. I do think something may be coming with Manny." Pitch had noticed how much Manny was present lately with Jack. He had seen during the nights that Jack spread snow how the moon was always set on him now. Manny showed himself more to Sandy and the Pole. 

Aster's ears fell to the back of his head. He had hoped for a different answer but it did make sense. Like Pitch, he did notice the new attention Manny was giving Jack. It made him angry that now the moon decided to be there. He was about to speak but a voice stopped them, making them both look back. 

"So you've noticed it too?" Jack's soft voice spoke behind them. The boy stood with his red eyes, looking at his father figure and his bestfriend. It was funny to think that Pitch was one of his bestfriends now but it was that way now. He walked up in between the two and sat down. Pitch looked down at Jack who's eyes were still red, the boy glancing up to meet his eyes. 

"Hey, Pitch." 

"Hello, Jackson." Bunny smiled as Jack leaned onto Pitch's side. It was pure white against pure black. It was weird seeing the once two enemies who fought against each other so long ago now leaning against each other as bestfriends. They had all changed over the years. His ears flicked back as his thoughts went back to the matter at hand. He began thinking about when it could happen, when would Manny let it happen? 

"Garden rat." He gave a fake glare as he heard the name and the cold foot poking him. Jack was still leaning against Pitch but had turned his body to where his back was against him now. Pitch was looking down at him with the signature raised eye-brow. 

"What, ice pop?" Jack shuffled around again, his elbow going into Pitch's side making him grunt. 

"Nuh uh, go lay on him if you're going to be moving so much." The boy stopped moving and got comfortable before looking at Bunny with tired eyes. 

"Quit thinking so much, both of you. Your faces are going to be stuck like that." The two older beings rolled their eyes at Jack. It was quite ironic how the biggest over-thinker of the group was the one who always told everyone not to think so much. He elbowed the foot on his side making his feet drop into his lap. Aster didn't like feet but gave up at this point and just let the boy's feet sit in his lap. 

Pitch still wasn't used to physical attention, just like Jack was, so it was a weird feeling to have the child laying on him. The said child elbowed him in the ribs again making him shove the boy which resulted in him falling on to his lap. The tired blue eyes looked up innocently before he stretched out on both of the older men. They were acting annoyed and like they hated it but the fond look in Bunny's eyes and the hand that Pitch had in Jack's hair said differently. 

They were all different but the same. It was a small little family of three. The Guardians as a whole was a big family, ever other spirit knew that, but they also knew that Bunny, Jack, and Pitch were closer. Bunny and Jack were bestfriends, family, a father and a son. Pitch was the bestfriend and almost like a grandfather if you think about it enough. 

"tell me a story." Jack said it to both of them, hoping one would give him one. He was so tired even though he had been sleeping on and off the past two months. 

"Well, I'll tell you the story of how I turned North into a doll." A small snort came from Bunny at Pitch's words. 

"Already told him that one, mate." 

"Hmm, then I'll tell you a story from the past of Aster trying his best to flirt with his first girlfriend." 

"AYE!" Jack laughed as Pitch started talking over Bunny's attempts to get him to hush. 

-----------------------------

Jack stood beside an open door going to the globe room as he watched the others sitting around waiting on him. He had finally left the Warren two days ago with Bunny's statement of coming to the Pole instead of running again. He moved his staff from hand to hand as he debated actually going in. This talk was not something he wanted. Bunny had brought him back to the open that was enough right? 

A paw landed on his shoulder making him jump. He turned around to look at Aster who was giving him a serious look. He swallowed at his Dad's serious look. It made him move the staff back and forth as his hands felt almost numb. A feeling went down his spine as he realized he just addressed Bunny as his dad...It was nice. 

"You going in or do I have to drag you in?" A huff came out as he turned to look back into the room. North sat, looking over papers for production due to Christmas being so close. Tooth was reading her human dentistry magazines that Jack would give her. Sandy was sleeping next to Pitch who was reading another old book that Jack gave him. 

"You go ahead, I'll be right th-" 

"Not gonna work on me, kit. We either go in together or I drag you. You can't out run this one." Jack lowered his head. He didn't want to talk about them fading. He didn't want to talk about one day being alone again. If he was fast enough, he could probably be out of the window and near Greenland by now. The paw on his shoulder gripped him tighter. 

"Jack." 

"I know, I know." He whispered before taking a deep breath. The staff pushed the door open as he walked into the room. Tinsel saw him first letting out a small excited cry before him and the little group of elves ran at him. The room turned and greeted him back with smiles. Tooth squealed and flew at him nearly knocking him down. 

"YOU'RE BACK!" He laughed slightly at Tooth's excitement. It was always her that acted so shocked about it every time. With a pat on the back, he pushed her back so North could go ahead and get his bear hug out of the way. All hugs out of the way they all went to sit in the chairs. Jack sat in between Pitch and Bunny with his staff on his lap. He looked towards the open window getting an escape plan incase things got to much. 

A sand feeling went over his ankle as he looked down to see a literal black chain on his ankle. Pitch was giving him a serious look, he turned to see Bunny with the same. It made him tense at realizing there was literally no way out of this talk. North was already looking at him when he glanced up, along with Tooth and Sandy. It was time for him to step up. 

"Is anyone going to talk?" His voice sounded to loud. It seemed while he was focused on sitting down, North had cleared the room of everyone else. Pitch and Bunny had already spoke to him so it was up to the other three in the room to talk. 

"Jack. We did not think when leaving the book out." It seemed North would be leading the conversation. It took him nodding to get North to continue. 

"It was something that should have been spoken of many years ago. As I am sure Aster has told you, it was a rush bringing you in. When it was after bringing you in we were focused on mending broken ties between you and us. There was so many things we wanted to show you about being a Guardian and having someone that we forgot about it." 

Jack nodded agreeing just like he did with Bunny. He understood what they were saying. It was intense the first few years as they all tried to get on his good side. He remembered having to fly to the Warren to hide from the fairies away from the attention. Or when he had to hide at the Pole from Bunny when his pranks got to much. 

"Sweet Tooth, I was the one who brought it up a few weeks ago. Sandy, he thought about it. We were talking about telling you next week. We just had to find a way." 

He turned to look at Sandy who was nodding in agreement. They all were in agreement. Jack just nodded. 

"Sandy, do you know when it's gonna happen?" He looked at the gold man. Sandy looked at him with a sad look that made him shift. He saw out of the corner of his eye as Bunny and Pitch both focused on Sandy. 

"Sandy? What are you not saying?" Pitch watched Sandy stare at Jack. 

"Manny says that in ten years it will happen but it will not be something to worry about right now.

Jack breathed deeply against everything. The chain on his ankle had disappeared a while ago, but he heard Aster move around as if getting ready to stop him if needed.

"So, in ten years, we will start to fade?" Bunny glanced at Jack to see his sad face as he was already looking at all of them. 

Sandy nodded at them. In ten years, the fading would start. He would be the first then seven years later the others would go. He wasn't sure who would be in his place while it took him to "restart" as Aster said. They all looked at Jack who seemed to be taking the information in by staring at the table. 

Tooth was chewing her nails. The baby fairies around her wanted to stop her but they were doing the same thing. Their poor teeth would suffer but they couldn't stop. The helpers wouldn't fade, the little fairies wouldn't fade. Only Tooth would. Just like when North fades, the yetis and elves will stay. 

North had his elbows on his stomach, his fingers creating a triangle as he sat back waiting on their youngest to take everything in. He didn't realize it was ten years away. But it did make sense. They had all been around for a very long time, all except Jack. It made him wonder if Jack would fade at all because of how young he is.

Pitch watched out the window as the snow was falling. He did not want to think on fading from anything. It would not have harmed him years ago but now he had the same problem as Aster. There was an annoying ice imp that he had began to care for. It was strange caring for someone so much. Fading would be like loosing belief all over again. But where would they go?

Aster drummed his fingers on the table as he waited on Jack to get done thinking. He always wanted to give Jack time to think but right now he wished the boy would speak. It wasn't something he liked to think about, fading. It was weird knowing in ten years Sandy would be gone again and it would be years before he saw the man again. Would they be taken to the same place? 

"Well...then I guess that's it?" Everyone looked at Jack shocked, that's what he had to say? 

"W-what, Sweet Tooth?" He looked up to meet her eyes. Jack watched everyone stare at him with shocked looks. He didn't like it, the fade broke every promise there was but it wasn't able to be stopped. Obviously, there was no way to stop it if Manny had put it in writing. 

"That's it. I mean there's nothing we can do, right? We just keep going now. None of you have broken any promises because you will still be here. I understand." It only took a minute before Tooth flew across the table to jump Jack in a hug. The men were shocked at the serious tone of his voice. Bunny's ears twitched as they wanted to lay down. His kit had just accepted that they would all fade one day. He hoped there would be some type of fight. 

Pitch looked at the hug happening between Jack and Tooth. He tried to decipher Jack's emotions in his eyes, trying to see if it gave away something. But there was nothing. The boy had nothing but acceptance in his eyes. The shade let out a sigh as he leaned back. 

They had all gotten up and moved to the couches and comfy chairs instead of the meeting table. Sandy and Tooth curled into the chairs going back to their magazines. Pitch back with his book and North back with the papers. Aster sat on the couch with one of his eggs in his hand, getting some new ideas on drawing. Jack was laying beside him, his head right on the edge of the rabbits leg. His feet were in Pitch's lap as the man read the new book he had gotten him. Jack took his time to think on what he was about to say. 

"I can't trust anymore promises." Everyone's heads snapped to him. Aster looked down with a shocked look to the boy laying in his lap. The eyes still held understanding but it was sad now. 

"What do you mean?" Tooth whispered. 

"You all made promises that haven't been broken...yet. I'll push this to the back of my mind like you all have but I can't with any other promise." Pitch swallowed as he looked down the pages of his book. It should have been obvious that Jack wouldn't just leave it at that. 

"Y-you don't trust us anymore, Jack?" North stared at the boy who laid in Aster's lap. Bunny's ears had now flattened again. Jack just stared at the ceiling, not looking at the green eyes. He let himself stay to talk this one out. He felt both the people he was laying on go tense but he didn't let himself feel bad about it. He didn't let himself feel bad about Tooth's sniffles. 

"I didn't say that. I do still trust you but I do not want anymore promises made to me. I get it. You forgot about this but it still hurts. I understand that things were difficult for you to remember. But you would think that promises to never leave would help you remember about a moon promise that you would be leaving. I didn't say I do not trust you, I am saying that I don't want anymore promises or anymore swearing that nothing will happen." 

He finally met Bunny's eyes after that. The pooka nodded at him, he understood that. They had messed up. Jack had forgiven them but he wouldn't accept anymore promises. They watched as he turned, pressing his face into the fur of his fathers stomach. Some would call it to intimate for a parent and child but for a Pooka is normal. That's why Pitch and Bunny joked that in Jack's past lives he was a Pooka. 

"All of you, get over it. It happened, we talked, it's over. There's nothing to fix." Everyone looked back to what they were doing. Jack was grumpy now because he was tired. Aster ran his hand over the hair as Jack fell into a deep sleep. Sandy sent dream sand over to him, dolphins coming around his head. 

---------------------------

I hope you guys liked this small little two-part chapter. the ending was bitter-sweet, as @Me-so-deal-with-it requested. Jack has forgiven but definitely has not forgotten. I am still open to suggestions for these one-shots like I said in the previous end!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.8K 129 7
|Fantasy AU| |Status: Complete| WARNING: You WILL cringe. (It's still a good read, if I do say so myself) Santa Claus, the tooth fairy, the Easter...
9.4K 233 23
Welcome to my book! If your looking for an easy read full of fun times and a hint of drama with the obvious romance you've come to the right place! ...
20.8K 542 22
[COMPLETE] *A Rise of the Guardians story* When The Man in The Moon chooses another Guardian. it just so happens to be THE Mother Nature, whom is alm...
607 43 9
My name, as you probably know, is Jack Frost. How I know that? Because the moon told me and this story will be full of drama, exciting new adventures...