A Beautiful Lie || GulfMew

By Sea_Mountain

Gulf Kanawut, a young Alpha accustomed to having people pursue him for his fame and riches, grew up cynical a... More

Intro: Gulf
Intro: Mew
1: A Twist of Fate
3: Destiny or a Coincidence? - #1
4: Destiny or a Coincidence? #2
4: Destiny or a coincidence? #2 (cont)
5: Third Time's the Charm #1
5: Third Time's the Charm #2
6: Coffee, Pastry and Conversations!
7: Dinner Date with Friend(s) - #Part 1
8: Dinner Date with Friend(s) - #Part 2
8: Dinner Date with Friend(s) - #Part 2 (Cont)

2: A Chance Encounter

811 62 129
By Sea_Mountain

A/N: This chapter is bit long, close to 3k words and contains references to BrightWin as well.  Please feel free to vote and comment your thoughts. I'd love to hear from you. Thanks! 💜

>*<*>*<

"Do I really have to attend this party?" Gulf grumbles, adjusting his bow-tie and picking up the new midnight black jacket strewn on the couch in his spacious dressing room.

Mild rolls his eyes, lounging from the comfy turquoise armchair. "Yes, you do. Bright will be super pissed if you ditched his party after going to all the trouble of forcing him to throw it in the first place."

The dusky alpha good-naturedly laughs, remembering the bet that starting this whole mess. "Maybe. But at least it will give him the chance to notice a sincere and lovely omega who's been pining after him since the past four years."

"You really think Bright, the introvert and indifferent alpha to equal, no, even rival you among all our friends when it comes to romance is going to notice that poor Nong Win is completely smitten and head-over-heels for him?" The beta questions with a disbelieving look.

"Hey," Gulf protests. "I'm not indifferent to romance."

"No. You're just allergic to commitment and relationships." Mild raises an eyebrow and shakes his head, making a tutting noise.

"Whatever. Love is a foolish man's fantasy and anybody who believes in a lasting emotional attachment of mate bonds are only deluding themselves. Oh, and before you ask - no one broke my heart, Mild. Can't help it if I'm smarter than you lot."

"Really? So you think me and my boyfriend are what, just messing around till one of us gets bored?"Mild voices raises in clear indication of his indignation hitting the roof.

The 26 year old CEO frowns sharply. "Come on, Mild. You know I didn't mean it like that..."

He tries to pacify the upset beta swiftly. Boat, an easy going alpha that Mild met in a cafeteria during their college freshman year, surprised everyone by sticking around and bewitching their hyperactive friend into a serious long term relationship. In fact, Gulf wouldn't be shocked if these two lovebirds are the first couple to tie the knot in their large circle of equally wealthy friends. Thankfully, the goofy beta isn't the type to hold grudges or stay mad for long. 

Additionally, the shorter guy is also well aware of where the alpha's issues stem from.

In truth, Gulf does believe in the concept of love and happy endings. The alpha just doesn't think he is destined for one though.

Most of his friends know this fact too. Bright, his other best friend also subscribes to the same train of thought. And just like the members in their gang, Gulf cannot help but think Bright is totally wrong. (Though Gulf does not agree when Mild, Singto and others say the same of him.) Which is why, he willingly sabotaged the bet, so Win can demand a wish from him. A wish Gulf guessed from the start and fully gives his blessings for.

"I wouldn't be playing cupid to help N'Win gain Bright's affections if that were the case." He sighs, raking a hand through his short black hair. "Hmm, in any case you are right. Bright will probably leave his own party if I'm not there to make sure he plays the dutiful host. By which, I mean unceremoniously dumping the omega Nong in his company and preventing Bright from completely ignoring the poor kid."

The sudden change of topic helps his situation as Mild enthusiastically discusses different plans to get their friend to notice the not-so-new guy in their circle, something they failed to do since first noticing the 22 year old, tall and fair omega's heart-eyes shining in Bright's direction, pretty much from the start.

<*>

Reaching the party fashionably late, Gulf sweeps past the groups of women and men vying for his attention – both for his CEO status to help with their businesses and for other physical goals – to reach the large table in the corner where his friends are situated. Mild beelines to kiss his boyfriend as Gulf fake gags at them before greeting Singto, Newie and P'Off.

"P'Gulf, you made it!"

The excited voice has him finding Metawin, the youngest and new member of their group. The lanky omega's parents own the largest furniture and toy manufacturing firms in their country. The typically happy personality of Win is missing though and Gulf is quick to realise why. One glimpse near the end of their table is enough to understand what's going on.

He greets this pale faced Nong while figuring out the best way to get rid of simpering vultures roaming near his tanned friend. The problem with throwing and attending these parties is that desperate women and men are happy to use them as hunting grounds to trap rich, eligible and successful parties in scam relationships. Gulf has seen this kind of stuff happen since he was fourteen when his parents first took him to attend business parties. Now, he's not worried Bright will become a prey to these kinds of conniving people because they are best friends for a reason. Both the alphas have a lot of similar qualities and interests, being reticent towards other's attentions a major mutual trait. Except Bright is lot more polite and inclined to be nicer when dealing with people than Gulf. 

Still, tonight is about his promise of helping his junior succeed in getting Bright as his boyfriend. Win genuinely loves Bright as evidenced throughout the years of their friendship and plus, Gulf can see they complement each other well. Now, all he had to do is plant the seed inside his best friend's mind that Win is someone he can have a shot with and most importantly, no longer a kid like Bright insists on treating.

Guess, his duty starts immediately. The only reason he tricked the alpha into throwing a party last minute is because the atmosphere tends to be useful in creating romantic scenarios and he planned to nudge Bright into either dancing or taking a stroll with Win. Hmm, looks like he even has to play bodyguard on top of cupid and keep others away from Bright for the rest of the night.

After all's said and done, Bright is going to owe him so freaking much!!

Signaling Win to follow, Gulf reaches the group of giggling ladies surrounding a tall figure clad in blue two-piece suit. The girls gasp and flutter their eyelashes upon noticing him, all but one. The red-head dressed in a silver body-hugging mini-dress is busy leaning into Bright's personal space even when the alpha in question isn't hiding his distaste.

"Gulf! You're here, finally." Bright drawls, eyebrows scrunched together in annoyance.

"Ya..almost decided to ditch but fortunately for you, Mild nagged till I gave in."

Gulf studies the glaring girl now giving up all pretenses and directly clinging onto Bright's arm like a stubborn koala. He casually moves near in guise of patting his friend's shoulder and dislodges the girl from Bright's person. Now that Gulf is close enough there's no mistaking it. The scarlet wrench is an omega. Typical.

Don't get him wrong. Gulf respects all secondary genders equally and isn't a portion of the small despicable section of douchebags that look down on omegas as playthings and objects of gratification. Yet, it is also true that most of the gold-diggers' he came across also happened to be Omegas intend of scheming wealthy alphas, even going to the extent of getting pregnant to tie them down.

So, no Gulf doesn't hate all Omegas but he is wary of them. Well, most of them. He knows Alphas and omegas make for excellent matches bloodlines wise and one of the ways to know your mate (people with potential to be the right ones) is through scents. Something these girls are planning on taking advantage of judging by the obvious scent-enhancers they applied. Particularly, the petite omegan girl seems too focused on Bright ... maybe, she is nursing a crush on top of her ambition to become Mrs. Vachirawit? Like hell is he going to let these scheming hyenas interfere with his matchmaking project. And if Gulf has to sacrifice himself to a night of horrors to make that happen, then so be it. Turning towards Win, he makes sure the nong understands his intentions and proceeds to fling himself in front of the wolves.

"Why don't you escort N'Win to the balcony? I was going to show him the spectacular view of the city but I just have to know these pretty ladies' names." Gulf smirks, turning on the Kanawut charm full-on.

Bright catches on quick, at least the part about saving him from unwanted company. "Sure. Come on, Win. I remember you said you've never been to this place yet."

Win is beaming as he lets the older alpha drag him towards the end of the room. Gulf internally groans as he readies himself for a night of simpering and blatant obnoxious hints at dating from a bunch of virtual strangers.

He grabs the red-head's hand before she can follow his friends like an annoying pest. "Oh, not so fast, Ginger. You see, I really wanted to get to know you. So, why don't you start introducing yourself." Gulf commands, enjoying the glint of pure hate in the girl's black eyes.

Yes, this one knows what he did but is powerless to call him out. After all, Gulf Kanawut name is much more powerful than Bright Vachirawit and holds the sway to ruin her life if he so wishes. Oh, he's so going to enjoy pushing her buttons and see if she snaps by the time Gulf's done.

<*>

It is nearing midnight by the time Gulf shakes off the batching of groupies accompanying him and their friends akin to revolving doors swinging open and close. He really needs some fresh air and space to recharge his batteries after the constant social interaction.

Additionally, the mission 'get Bright to view Win in a romantic sense' is a bust, yet again. The grumpy idiot spent half the time babysitting Win like a nanny, sticking close to their friends and the rest, head stuck in his mobile following a live football match. Gosh, Gulf loves football too, but he is not such a dedicated fan or an idiot that he chooses to ignore a perfectly interested date (Bright doesn't know it's a date yet but still!) to follow a match that is going to be available the next day as well! He is really starting to get frustrated at his friend's obliviousness. Poor Win is far more patient and dedicated than they all gave him credit for!

Tired and more than a little livid at his failed attempts, Gulf wanders away from the bright lights and loud scene, towards a quiet dark corner near the alcoves. A glass of white wine clutched in hand, he finds a loveseat placed strategically and almost completely hidden from any prying eyes.

There are few stragglers nearby and one or two hotel staff catering to them. Gulf easily dismissed them from his mind as none of them even noticed his quiet presence. He is far more busy sorting the weird feelings upsetting his previously stable mood.

His friends are mostly paired up and those who are single are in the process of getting hooked, whether it is temporary or permanent in case of BrightWin, they all appear to have somebody ... for this night, at least. Everyone except him, the story of his life really.

Gulf might be the richest and most successful member in their gang, King of one night-stands and the elite bad boy but when it came to forming genuine and meaningful connections, he's poorer than a beggar. He might continue to deny near his friends, yet Gulf dreams of finding that one person who is exactly right for him. Call him old fashioned and a fool for secretly believing in fairytales but he still holds hope of running into his mate one day.

Of course, the cynical alpha is only a true believer when he's drunk, lonely and feeling nostalgic watching his friends happily paired with their partners. Like now. His grandmother used to tell him stories when he was a child - of how in the olden days, people placed importance on scents for mating rather than dating or business arrangements happening in modern times..

Gulf smiles, a bitter twist of his chestnut shaped lips, fingers curled around the nearly full glass of wine and absentmindedly watching the liquid swirl near the edges.

Maybe, since casual dating and normal methods don't seem to be working for Gulf, the universe can consider granting a miracle and send his mate right into his hands or his lap. He isn't very particular about the method of receiving his better half. Right now would be great though!

No sooner than the thought crossed his mind, a dull pain registers on his foot and few things happen all at once.

For starters, there is an actual person falling onto his lap and as Gulf instinctively tries to catch them, he accidentally lets go of the glass in hand which lands on the poor guy. The wine splashes across the white shirt of the hotel staff – the red insignia on the breast pocket and a nametag giving away his identify, drenching the shirt and leaves the person spluttering. As for what happens next, Gulf fails to comprehend anything else because he is too stunned, staring at the most exquisite and beautiful face he has ever come across in his life.

Dark silky hair, perfectly arched eyebrows, large soulful brown eyes blink in confusion and anxiety, as pale skin heats up in embarrassment, cheekbones and a jaw line sharp enough to cut glass heightened as the blush spread and pouting sinful lips open and close trying to make sense of what's going on. Gulf felt like he's hit by a massive truck head-on, breath knocked out of him as he gazes at the ethereal beauty in his arms.

I was joking but thank you for taking it seriously. He couldn't help thinking, offering quick thanks to the gods above.

Gulf wanted the moment to last forever and yet over with soon, so he could get to know this mesmerizing guy immediately. He looked young, maybe a college student working part-time? His senses begin working after the initial shock and notice the distinctive smell surrounding the angel in his embrace. Oh, is- is this what they meant when talk about meeting an omega destined for you? Because, there is no doubt about it and screw other potential candidates whose scent could be appealing for him. Once Gulf discovered this unique smell, there is no going back for him. It is a truth he can feel in his very bones.

This person, this omega could he- is he meant for Gulf ... to be his mate? Is he really that lucky?

<*>

The moment regretfully breaks as a shadow falls over them and the buzzing in his ears finally disappears. A hand appears in his peripheral vision moving towards the omega. Gulf almost snarls, clutching the surprised brunet against him in response.

"Ah, there you are! You left so quickly in haste that you stumbled over an important guest here, ruining his clothes. That is so careless of you." A slippery tone accompanied an equally fishy looking individual in his mid-thirties.

At the patronizing tone and reprimanding words, the waiter quickly scrambled away from Gulf and bowed to them both, apologizing repeatedly.

"Are you alright?" Gulf enquires, his voice not coming quite right and flustered.

The omega has his eyes downcast, shivering slightly yet answers softly in a melodious, sweet voice. "I'm fine, sir."

It is a difficult task drawing his gaze away from the striking young man but Gulf managed it, the second certain creases on the staff's shirt became visible. Coupled with the stress and fear palpable in the omega's scent before it got enveloped by the wine and the smugness radiating from the leering alpha, the picture became crystal clear in Gulf's eyes.

Fist clenched, Gulf could feel his legendary temper rearing its ugly head and itching to break out and cause a spectacular devastation in its wake. He wanted to pummel this bastard for daring to touch something so precious, for threatening his omega in front of him. This time, he allows a growl to break free and enjoyed the look of fear in those mud-colored irises, frown replacing previous triumph.

He is so busy glaring and mentally devising ways to teach the slimy monster a lesson that he fails to notice his omega slipping away inside the party.

By the time he does after dealing with the predator, and tries to find the one who made his heart skip a beat, his omega is long gone. Gulf couldn't find him anywhere inside the huge hall and when one of his friends finally suggest asking around the other staff by his name, they learn the person left after his shift is done.

The clock strikes half past two as the party dwindles down, all sources leading to omega's information exhausted without a single clue. Temporary replacement, no friends or contact information available with the manager as the payment is made in cash. Singto promises to find him leads with the temp agency the next day and Gulf has no other choice but to admit defeat .. for now.

He glances at his watch, recalling the time the omega literally fell into his arms and left without a trace. Midnight. Like a fairy tale, he met the brunet and lost him. Unlike the prince in the story though, Gulf has more than a missing glass slipper to track him down. The determined alpha has the omega's name and come tomorrow, Singto, heir to the Communications and technology Empire will get him the details needed to find the boy.

"Team." He mutters, leaning in the backseat of his latest Mercedes as his driver takes him home. "I will find you tomorrow and promise to give us and our relationship a sincere shot."

For the first time in a long while, since Gulf gave up on love, he could feel hope blossoming again in his heart. He sleeps peacefully with dreams of milky skin, ruby red lips and warm embrace drawing a fluttery feeling in his chest.

Team, the smitten alpha thinks fondly, I can't wait to see you again and get to know you!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

326K 16.9K 61
Mew suppasit is businessman who who is bit arrogant and rude. one day he encountered a boy name Gulf Kanawut who slap him infront of everyone coz Mew...
54.8K 2.6K 42
The cause of misunderstanding is not only lack of communication but also the secrets involved with you and your family. So let's see how they solve i...
251K 12.5K 87
Hello guys!!!!! This is Chubby!!! ᐠ( ᐛ )ᐟ Well this book is a completed book and due to some own reasons got deleted. But now as all readers want t...
292K 13.6K 41
UNEXPECTED SERIES GEN-1 ----- Gulf Kanawut, the cold faced heartthrob CEO of GD Corp. He could kill you with just his glare, a hot tempered rich man...