Dreams Change

By AbbyBrenton05

"You love her don't you?" Cassandra Higgins is a spirited Newsie in the year 1899. Forced to fight a battle t... More

Dreams Change
Characters
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Epilogue
Final Author's Note

Chapter 16

311 13 56
By AbbyBrenton05

Albert's P.O.V

I was an idiot.

How could I have been so stupid as to kiss her? Her question had caught me completely off guard and, of course, the first thing that came to my brain had to come out of my mouth. 

I was currently sitting a park bench, my face buried in my hands. If only I could take back the last five minutes. 

She hadn't pushed me away, which, if I was honest, surprised me. But this was Caz. She would never push someone away if she knew it would end up hurting them. 

And my actions did hurt because I knew that we could never go back to the way we were before. No matter how much each of us pretended it didn't happen, I couldn't forget it. I was even sure if I wanted to. 

She had been so beautiful, standing there, the afternoon sun flooding her features with light. The gentle dusting of freckles that dotted her cheeks were more prominent than they usually were, and the dimples in her cheeks when she smiled were so perfect. I couldn't describe the feelings that coursed through me when she told me what she had been thinking about. 

I let out a groan. 

"Albert!" I heard an all-to-familiar voice call out. 

"If you've come to soak me, I'm really not in the mood." I glanced up at Race.

"Soak you? Why would Is do that?" I groaned again, dropping my face into my hands.

"Cause I kissed your sister and then ran away from her like the coward I am." He was quiet, but I was too busy dwelling in my self-pity to care what he was thinking.

"I thought you loved her." My head shot out of my hands, my eyes meeting his in surprise. "Really Albert? Just cause Caz is oblivious doesn't mean everyone else is."

"Are you sure it's love?" Race took a seat next to me and leaned into the back of the bench.

"Why'd you run?" 

"What?"

"Why'd you run?" He repeated.

"I heard the question, nitwit. I just don't see the relevancy that it has." He rolled his eyes.

"There was a reason you ran. What was it?"

"I don't know," I spouted. He raised his eyebrow, disbelief written across his face. "Ugh, I was scared, okay. I like Caz, a lot. More than I planned. Heck, I may even love her, but apparently you knew that. And I don't want things to change. At least being her best friend means keeping her in my life. I ran because I destroyed all hope of things staying the same. I can't... I, I don't want to lose her," I finished, my voice dropping.

"What makes you think you're gonna lose her?"

"She hates me."

"Albert, you're an idiot."

"Thanks," I scoffed. "You're real great at this motivational thing."

"Albert, for crying out loud!" Race leaped off the bench, throwing his hands up and glaring me in the face. "Cassandra Higgins is in love with you. For some miraculous reason, one of which I can't understand, but she is. She could never hate you. Did she push you away?" I kept my mouth closed. "Did she slap you?" Still closed. "Did she-"

"Okay, I get it. But this is Caz we're talking about."

"You two really were made for each other," he muttered. "How dense can you be?"

"I'm sorry that I-" A scream ripped through the streets, one that sounded awful familiar. 

"What was that?" Race mumbled. My eyes widened in horror. Caz.

"Where's Caz?" I asked.

"She was finishing selling her papes, why? Wait, you don't think..."

"C'mon," I said grabbing him by the arm and dragging him after me. Reaching the spot that Caz and Race sold at everyday, I heard Race let out a curse. 

"It wasn't necessarily her," he said, attempting to reassure me or himself, I wasn't sure. "Let's just go back to the Lodging House, maybe she finished selling and-"

"It was her, I'd recognize that scream anywhere." It had been branded in my mind ever since she was dragged off to the Refuge. 

"Well, what happened?"

"You really want me to answer that?"

"We need to do something. If it was her then we need to find her."

"I don't- Go to the Lodging House and get some of the guys." Another scream pierced my ears. "Go Race!" I tore down the street in the direction of the noise, praying that my ears would lead me. 

I soon arrived at an alley, no sunlight reaching the dark area. I slowed to a walk, taking in my surroundings as I made my way through the alleyway. The tall buildings on either side were dark, only one window high up on the side of the one to my left. There were multiple boxes stacked up along the walls, filled with who knows what. 

I sucked in a breath when I caught sight of two men carrying a limp figure toward a carriage just on the other side of the street. The blonde hair belonging to the limp figure made me certain that I had found Caz. The two men threw her into the back of the carriage, quickly hopped into the front, and took off down the street. 

"You go, I'll get Jack," Race said from beside me. I nearly jumped out of my skin.

"What the heck Race?" I hissed. "Warn me when you're gonna do that."

"No time, go or you won't be able to find them," he said pushing me in the direction of the carriage. I took off, one thought running through my head: I can't lose her more than I already have.

Cassandra's P.O.V (FYI, I'm going back to what happens while Race and Albert were having their chit-chat. Just for anyone who may be confused. Ahah have fun reading!!)

"Thank you sir," I said slipping the penny into my pocket with a sigh. My last paper sold. Now I would have to go back to the Lodging House and pretend everything was alright. Hopefully Race would be up for some sibling consolation time. I was in serious need of some right now. 

Or maybe I could go visit Andy. She would probably be done selling papers and working at the theater by now. I'm sure she could use some company. 

I groaned. This was pathetic. I needed to face up to Albert and move on. He probably had already.

"Cassandra Higgins," a voice said from behind me. I spun around and was met by two men, neither of whom I would have liked to come across in a dark alley. Being alone on the streets wasn't much better, but at least it was daylight. And Race was probably somewhere around here.

"Can I help you?" I asked. I was slightly confused as to how these random men knew my names.

"You got a paper?"

"Sorry, I just sold my last one. If you come back tomorrow, I can get you one though," I offered. Not that I wanted to see these men again. Something about them was off, I could feel it in my gut. 

"Nah, I don't think you will." 

"Am I supposed to know what that means?" I was really praying that it wasn't supposed to be a threat. Hopefully neither of them had knives. 

"Probably," one of them said, making a grab for me. I did the only thing that came naturally to me in this kind of situation. I kicked him between the legs. And boy did he go down in pain, but unlucky for me, there were two of them. The second came up behind me and wrapped his arms around my torso, holding me in place. I managed to get one scream out before he clamped a rough hand over my mouth. 

"Sorry girlie, we need some information from you," the man who was holding me said into my ear. I shivered as his breath fanned my face. His hand was harsh against my stomach and his hand on my face even worse, but I couldn't help reliving being in Albert's arms. He always made me feel so safe and protected. What I would give to be back in them right now.

"Marcus, c'mon." The one who was holding me threw me over his shoulder and we made our way through a dark alley. The moment his hand left my face, I sucked in a deep breath and screamed as loud as I could. 

A fist connected with my head, cutting off my cry and the world was soon drowned out by the darkness that I had been so often slipping into these past couple days.

Plot twist!!! And an update! Sorry, it's been a while. Stupid school. Hope y'all are enjoying. Did the plot twist seem too out of the blue? Or is that just me? I don't even know any more. I needed something as an introduction for my next book. That is if I can finish another one. Guys, there's like two chapters left!!!!! I'm so happy! Yup so that's all for now, but hopefully the next chapter will be out soon. Thank you for reading, you guys are all so wonderful! Bye for now!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.9K 451 23
in which a girl meets a redhead newsie and falls for him ~~ [Albert DaSilva x OC] ~~ this book is still being written! so things may be edited as I g...
3.4K 52 14
Ten years ago in 1889 there was a little girl at the age of 6 running away and her name was Emma. Emma ran away from her abusive parents and she ran...
87K 1.1K 17
Josephine Carter became the first and only female Newsie when she ran away from her family at the age of ten because they didn't love her. Jack Kelly...
3.2K 63 8
Albert Dasilva and Y/n Higgins had been selling partners for years, ever since Racetrack Higgins, Y/n's brother, allowed that to happen. But what hap...