A Deal with a Player

By Sonu2314

Annabeth Chase has had enough of Percy Jackson. He is known as the player of Goode High School. Most of the g... More

Synopsis & Credits
Chapter 1: The News
Chapter 2: The Needle
Chapter 3: The Deal
Chapter 4: The Lunch Table
Chapter 5: The Museum
Chapter 6: The Silver Bracelet
Chapter 7: The Ice-Tub Dare
Chapter 8: The Queen's Flirt
Chapter 9: The Volunteer
Chapter 10: The Secret
Chapter 11: The Big Bang
Chapter 12: The Bruises
Chapter 13: The Gunfire
Chapter 14: The Ex-Girlfriend
Chapter 15: The Big Turkey
Chapter 16: The Alcohol
Chapter 17: The Chemotherapy
Chapter 18: The Best & The Worst
Chapter 19: The Heart-Ache
Chapter 20: The Loss
Chapter 21: The Make-Out Session
Chapter 22: The Pool Party
Chapter 23: The Emergency Room
Chapter 24: The Trailer
Chapter 25: The Love
Chapter 26: The Email
Chapter 27: The Lipstick
Chapter 28: The Snow Storm
Chapter 29: The Closet
Chapter 31: The Special Night
Chapter 32: The Surgery
Chapter 33: The Recovery
THANKS + NEW STORY
Author's Note

Chapter 30: The X-Rays

11.5K 122 107
By Sonu2314

BONUS CHAPTER - Grover POV

"Hey Perce, do you want me to plug in some music?" I asked my best friend. 

Percy was currently getting situated on the x-ray machine. He'd have to lay there for some time as the machine takes the images. The last time I came to one of Percy's scans, I think the scan took about 40 minutes. 

"Yeah, that would be great, G-man," Percy said as he laid his head down on the pillow. His leg was going to get scanned via an MRI. 

This scan was going to say a lot about Percy's medical future. 

"Hey, bro, don't be nervous," I said reassuringly. I gently patted his shoulder. His hand moved to give my hand a squeeze. Percy attempted to smile, but I could see his nervousness. 

Percy really wanted and needed good news right now. 

I smiled at my best friend before leaving the room. I'd be sitting in the radiology control room, which had a giant window connecting to the scanning room. 

I plugged in my phone, and the music started at the same time as the MRI. 

"Really, Grover, this song," Percy exclaimed. 

I clicked the speaker button before speaking up. "Yup, this song is great," I said back. 

'Alive' by Sia was playing in the background. I had a lot of survival and fight songs on my phone simply because of Percy. 

The next forty minutes felt like an eternity, but we were finally done. Percy self-cautiously fixed his hospital gown before we made our way to Dr. Solace's office. Percy sat down and started rubbing his right knee. The entire area was swollen and red like it always was. 

I patted his shoulder once again. 

"Don't worry, Percy, it's going to be good news," I said reassuringly. 

"G-man, since this hell started, I only received bad news. What makes today different?" he said helplessly. 

I could tell that Percy (despite finding love and joy over the past few months) was struggling to keep himself together. Cancer messed people up, and it changed them. 

"I believe that it's different, Perce," I said softly. 

Before our conversation can continue, Percy's parents and Dr. Solace walked into the room holding several x-rays. Her expressions were neutral, so I couldn't tell anything. 

Sally sat down next to Percy as Paul and I remained standing. 

"Would you like someone to bring in more seats?" Dr. Solace asked politely. 

"No, we're fine. Thank you," Mr. Blofis said. 

Mr. Blofis, just like everyone else in the room, just wanted to news as soon as possible. Dr. Solace hung up a series of 6 x-rays on the illuminated wall screen. They were all pictures of Percy's right leg (from mid-thigh to lower tibia), but they had different dates on them. 

"What do you see, Percy?" Dr. Solace asked. 

"I don't know, my cancerous leg," Percy responded. 

"Well, yes. But, what I see is that over the past four months, your cancer has lessened," Dr. Solace said firmly with a smile. 

While I didn't know what that meant, I could tell that it was medically good news. 

"I don't understand," Percy said honestly. Sally and Paul both stared intensely at their son before turning back to the doctor. 

"I'm saying that this is great news, Percy. Your osteosarcoma has shrunk after the new chemo regimen, and we have the relatively clean margins that are required for surgery." 

Sally and Paul both smiled as they hugged their son. Tears bristled in my own eyes. 

The cancer was actually getting better. 

My best friend wouldn't have to suffer anymore if surgery could fully fix his right leg. 

Percy was simply sitting there in shock. I went forward and patted his back. I knew that he would get through this. 

"Doctor, this is great news, thank you," Paul said. 

"Yes, it is. I would like to set the surgery for June. That way, Percy has the whole summer for recovery and physical therapy. The surgery is pretty invasive because we're going to have to remove all of the cancer and put some plates/prosthetics into his lower leg and knee," Dr. Solace explained. 

I zoned out after the third sentence, and I could tell that Percy wasn't even paying attention. He was simply staring off into space. I could see the tears clouding his eyes. 

"Percy, we will continue your chemo regimen till the summer so that we can get even cleaner margins. This will make the surgery much easier and safer," Dr. Solace said. 

"Yeah, that sounds good, doctor," I said responding for Percy, who wasn't paying attention. 

My best friend was going to survive this. 

I felt so emotional as I thought about how there was only one more hurdle left, and Percy would get through it. 

He's been through so much, so this was great news for all of us. 

***

"Hi, honey, I heard about Percy. This is such good news," Juniper said cheerfully. 

Her arms wrapped around me as we hugged. I rested my chin on top of her head. 

"Yeah, this is amazing news," I said. "Juniper, I know that we kept it a secret. Percy's a pretty good actor on the outside, but he's been through hell." 

"I can only imagine," Juniper said softly as she brushed a kiss on my cheek. 

We broke our hug after a few minutes and got into my car. Juniper and I were going to Percy's house today just to hang out on a Saturday afternoon. A few of our friends were already there, which means that we were running late. 

The smell of fresh-baked cookies spread around us as soon as Juniper and I walked into Percy's apartment. 

"Seaweed Brain, why are these blue?" Annabeth asked as we walked into the living room. 

"I like blue food," Percy exclaimed brightly. 

My best friend was in a good mood and smiling, which suited him the best. 

"That isn't a proper explanation," Piper said while laughing. 

"Ever since I was little, I didn't like eating much, so my mom started making foods in my favorite color to get me to eat them. Blue food kind of just stuck after that," Percy said with a smile. 

"You're so weird, Seaweed Brain," Annabeth said chuckling.  

Everyone joined in the laughter. 

We were all having a good time throughout the day. 

"Hey G-man," Percy acknowledged as he stepped out onto the balcony. I was just getting some fresh air and taking a break from all the noise inside. 

I liked being outdoors because I loved nature and conservation. 

"Hey, bro. You seem to be enjoying," I noted. 

"Yeah, I really am, G-man. I'm not getting my hopes up too much, but I am feeling a lot better since we found out that my cancer is gonna be gone soon." 

It seemed safe to not get your hopes up. I agreed with Percy on that. But, he was allowed to be hesitantly optimistic for sure.  

"Yeah," I said as I took the soda he was holding. 

"So, how are things with you and Annabeth?" I asked. I was happy that Percy found a girl that he actually loves. Annabeth was able to break down Percy's walls. 

"Great, actually. She's amazing and perfect for me," Percy said genuinely. 

"So, are you two going to (you know)," I said awkwardly. 

Percy sighed. "I want to, but at the same time, I want to be at the right time. Annabeth is nothing like all the others, G-man. We're real." 

"Percy, there's probably never a right time in life. It's all about making sure you're with the right person. That's all that matters," I said to him. 

Percy gazed at me intently before nodding. 

"Yeah, your right," he said softly. 

"Grover, thank you so much for being my best friend all these years. You were one of the biggest reasons why I was able to make it this far," Percy said. 

"Dude, you'd do the same for me. I know that the cancer isn't gone yet, but-"

"With surgery, you never know what's going to happen," Percy said softly. 

He seemed a little bothered by the idea of surgery, but we always knew that it would be the final step if/when Percy makes it this far. 

"I'm hopeful that you'll be fine, Perce. You made it this far after all."

"Yeah," he said hesitantly and nervously. 

I patted his shoulder. "You know that we made a deal with each other. When you finally go into remission and recover, we're going to take a trip-

"to Montauk beach, I remember," Percy said finishing for me with a smile. 

We got back to our friends in no time. Percy joined his seat next to Annabeth as we turned on a Disney movie. Since it was Percy's house, we were watching Finding Nemo again. 

I was cautiously optimistic about Percy's cancer now. I know that we couldn't get our hopes up too much, but I genuinely believed that the surgery would work. I truly believed that Percy's cancer would be cut out, and he'd be in remission after all these years. 

I couldn't wait for when my best friend would be free from pain and from cancer. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope you all are enjoying this story. Also, please enjoy this chapter. Friendship is so important, especially in hard times. 

My other idea for a future Wattpad story:  Percy is the star swimmer of Goode High. However, a serious medical infection changes his life overnight. Percy loses his vision, and his life is permanently altered. Read how Percy, his family, and his friends cope and deal with Percy's new lifestyle. Can he swim? Can he love? Will his life ever be the same again?

This story might be too deep and too real for me to write. I don't know. Let me know what y'all think. 

--> inspired by an amazing movie: 23 Blast. 

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE:  READ + VOTE + COMMENT + SHARE

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1M 59.7K 38
Millie Ripley has only ever known one player next door. Luke Dawson. But with only a couple months left before he graduates and a blackmailer on th...
75K 2.3K 108
A young mage who was hunted in the past for her magic, joins the Fairytail guild as a last resort to her finally finding happiness. Will Fairytail fi...
42.5K 3K 24
ရည်းစားထားမလား... စာသင်မလား... ရှောင်းကျန့် စာပဲသင်ပါ့မယ်... ဝမ်ရိပေါ်
4.1K 69 14
*ALL CHARACTERS BELONG TO SHANNON MESSANGER*