ALIVE ༄ SUNA RINTAROU

By outerxpce

y/n, the good friend of the miya twins, gets invited to suna rintarou's house. but what can happen when a goo... More

1. miss goody-two-shoes
2. icecream and to-go ramen
3. staring contest
4. before the rematch
5. rematch
6. study bud
7. friends
8. thoughts
9. lunchtime
11. you guys are dating?!
12. just another sunday
13. a misadventure
14. no words
15. even more secrets
16. the plot thickens
17. concerned friends and 'friends'

10. set-me-up

352 13 0
By outerxpce

Y/N's POV

I was able to avoid kara up until the last bell rang. as quickly as i tried to pack my bag up, it did not beat her. she jumped from her seat and came to my desk, flashing a bright smile.

"y/n, how are you? i haven't had a chance to talk to you today, but you seemed a little stressed," she says, no malice in her voice. i give a slow nod, forcing a smile upon my face.

"just the upcoming test, that's all," i chuckle nervously. honestly, i wasn't sure if there even was a test soon, seeing as how i couldn't pay attention today. thankfully, it doesn't seem like kara was listening to the lectures either as her eyes widen in response.

"another test?!" she groans. her eyes dart around to the students that begin to leave the classroom and a sigh escapes her mouth. "well, i have trash duty. wanna help?"

unfortunately, due to my inability to say no, i help her. i don't mind taking out the trash, but i didn't want to spend anymore time around this girl. as harsh as that sounds, i needed some time to myself. i've been too social lately.

"so..." kara insisted on taking the bags of trash out herself, so i walked beside her, all tensed up. hopefully she couldn't tell.

"how was your day?" i ask. if i asked the right questions, maybe that topic wouldn't be brought up. kara glances at me, a little surprised, but she smiles.

"i mean, school is school, but i was daydreaming all day," she looks up at the ceiling, dreamy eyed. "i can't wait until you set me up with-"

"i was too!" i interrupt hastily. "-daydreaming, i mean." kara blinks twice, a little startled by my sudden interjection, but she recovers quickly as usual. "what were you daydreaming about, if it's not too personal."

"ah well," she pauses, causing me to look over at her. a small smile's sitting on her pretty face, and her cheeks blush a light pink. "it's so dumb." kara shakes her head, chuckling.

"it's okay, you don't have to tell me," i say, hoping that if it was about suna, she wouldn't. thankfully, she just nods in response and keeps quiet. "well my daydream was about the boys going to nationals," i lie. this should steer the conversation away from dating and all that.

we approach the large trash bin, and after kara lobs the bags in, she looks at me brightly.

"y/n, we should go to their practice today! i hear you usually do, hanging out with the miya twins and all that."

i widen my eyes, forcing a smile. "i don't think that's such a good idea. they're preparing for their upcoming tournament, and i feel we'd just be distractions," i lie once again. these words are coming off my tongue too smoothly. i'm a terrible person.

kara's smile drops a bit, but she doesn't stop pushing. "it's worth a shot though, right? one practice won't change much." we have begun walking back to the classroom where our bags are. "y/n... you promised."

at those words, i shoot her a glance. no, i did not promise her anything. did i? if i did, how could i forget so easily? it was only yesterday that i spoke to her about this. perhaps my thoughts over suna clouded it and made me forget.

yeah, that had to be it. it'd be best to just get him away. cut off contact with him.

set him up with kara.

"yeah, of course. i'm trying, i swear." i pause, taking in a breath. "i'll take you to their practice."

kara's arms suddenly wrap around me and give me a light squeeze. "you're truly the best, y/n!" her footsteps lighten up and i can feel the excitement radiating off of her. it feels off though, nothing like atsumu's excited energy, but maybe it's just because she's a girl and he's a guy. we're two different species, really.

once we've gathered our bags from the classroom and changed into our gym clothes, which kara wasn't even aware we would have to change in to, we head to the gym. the team would either be in the middle of or finishing up their stretches at this time.

as we stand before the closed door, i feel an urge to just turn around and run. my heart is beating faster, and it's not just because once i open the door, the team's eyes will fall upon whoever's there. it's because he will look over here, and maybe give a stupid smirk, or look away with a bored expression. it hurts to admit that the second option would sting.

i look at kara once more, giving her a questioning look to ask if she was ready. she nods eagerly. my fingers grab ahold of the door handle and i twist it open, letting the door squeak quietly as it gives way to my force.

indeed i was right, the boys are finishing up their stretches. i don't look at them though, and instead look for coach kurosu. from the corner of my eyes, i see kara looking around in amazement, like a puppy in a new home. my hand grabs hers and i pull her softly with me once i spot the coach. he's in his coach's corner, scribbling something on the clipboard as he waits for the team to warm up.

"coach kurosu," i greet, grabbing his attention. he looks up from his clipboard and sends me a warm smile. his eyes glance over to my side, where kara stands nervously. "this is sato," i introduce, using her last name.

coach kurosu bows his head briefly, acknowledging her. "nice to meet you." he turns his gaze back towards me. "are you planning to stay? could use some extra players today," he says. i look at the team, quickly trying to see who was missing. it looks like some first years were.

"yeah, of course!" i respond, trying my best to sound excited. "i wouldn't be dressed in these clothes if not," a friendly chuckle comes through with my words.

"and miss sato?" he asks, more directly at me than her. shoot, i knew i was forgetting something. does kara even know how volleyball works? i look at her, biting my lip and sending her a silent message to answer.

"oh uh, haha," she laughs nervously. "i'm not too good at the sport..." her voice trails off, but she quickly follows it up with, "but i can help round up the balls! like- like a ball-girl!" i look at coach kurosu, trying to figure out how he'll react to it. to my surprise, he laughs.

"sure, that'll be great," he says, genuine. i let out a sigh i hadn't realized i was holding. "why don't you help y/n warm up? the boys are nearly done with their stretches. y/n, join whenever you're ready."

"yes coach!" we walk off, grabbing a ball and going to the unoccupied corner of the gym. i tell kara to just catch and toss the ball to me, which she does. however, her attention is much more directed towards the hitting lines that are now taking place across the net. i should be somewhat thankful she isn't trying to make conversation with me. i feel as though it'd be a bit tiresome trying to keep up the cheery lies i've been telling.

i decide to also bear a glance at the boys, lined up to hit the sets from atsumu and the other setter who looks a little too out of place. perhaps osamu should set the other side.

nevertheless, excitement rushes through me, the feeling of the game that i missed playing. the men's net was significantly higher than a women's net, but that didn't matter too much for a setter, whom i was— or used to be.

"you ready?" kara asks, snapping me out of my half-hearted passes. perhaps she noticed.

"yep, all warm," i say. she comes closer towards me and hands me the ball, but not before saying something.

"remember your promise." and walks away with a friendly smile. it didn't sound like it was meant to be mean or threatening, but i take it that way nonetheless. maybe she's just getting impatient now that's she's actually in the presence of suna. i suppose feelings like that can make you do irrational things at times.

speaking of suna, i have not looked his way once this whole time. i had given the twins a wave, who gave me surprised and excited grins in return. to kita, we nodded to acknowledge one another. to a few other players, i had waved.

when i approach the team, i meet the other setter's eyes, and he looks to breathe out a sigh of relief. wordlessly, we swap places and he gets into the hitting lines. i stretch my fingers out and wait for a toss. the boys are tossing their own balls.

my first ball comes from osamu. he tosses a beautiful toss, and i set it with all the care i can. his approach is quick and swift, and he hits it with ease.

"ah, so much better than sumu's," he says, louder than he needs to. i see atsumu's expression turn into a challenging smirk as he sets his toss silently, not rebuking his brother. the next hitter tosses me his ball, and i set it with the same care i did before, feeling the sensations i had missed.

"here," a low voice calls. i look into his eyes for a brief second, and they're hardened on my own. i nod, looking away from his eyes to the ball in his hands, awaiting his toss. however, he stands there, spinning the ball in his palms.

"suna," i say, annoyance clear on my voice. "you're holding back the line." a stupid smirk plays on his lips, and he readies the ball in his hands.

"finally, y/n. a small wave earlier would've sufficed too," he responds before tossing the volleyball. i set it, and he hits it with his full body. his hits are beautiful. he is-

i blink and return my thoughts back to the growing line. kara's probably watching too, whether me or him.

"atsumu, your sets are ASS," i hear osamu jeer as he hits another one across the net, out of bounds.

"sorry princess, maybe you should learn how to hit better!" atsumu retorts. i let out a silent chuckle, focusing on my sets at the same time.

"her sets really are better than yours," suna's voice agrees. i bite my tongue, worrying that i might say, or do, something that would give away any of my thoughts.

"shut up suna, her ego doesn't need to get any bigger," atsumu responds. i shoot him a glare, knowing that he's looking at me from the corner of his eyes. a playful smile returns to his face.

"last hits!" coach kurosu calls out. once everyone else has gone through the lines once more, the coach divides us up into two equal teams. i play the setter on the other side of the net from the starters. in the brief moment before the scrimmage, while we get water, kara approaches me.

"wow, you're really good! and those hits that suna-,"

"thanks," i say, cutting her off. i didn't mean to be so abrupt, but if she keeps making everything about him, then i was going to quit trying. it was hard enough having to talk to him. "i didn't forget." i remind her, walking away this time.

//

author's note

hi... haha.. it's been a while..

so i have brought you a longer chapter. plz take this as an apology.

lately, i've been having immense writer's block, and haven't really been feeling like writing about high school scenerios. i've been in that fantasy world mindset w kings, queens, swordfights, etc, but i am back!

i think.

anyways, i keep seeing that this fic is being added to people's reading lists and i am truly honored. i hope you are enjoying this, and thank you for the love!

i've got some stuff brewing, so make sure to stick around ;)

also, i havent read my own story in a while, so there may be plot holes. i'll fix them when i have the chance.

have a good day!
- m

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

869K 22.8K 63
basically suna x fem!reader fluff ig? maybe I'll add some spice idk. tw: cussing? slowburn mhmm I don't follow the actual haikyuu!! plot :) #1 on...
3.9K 152 17
❝𝐀𝐧𝐝 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐤𝐞𝐞𝐩 𝐨𝐧 𝐟𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐠, 𝐛𝐚𝐛𝐲, 𝐟𝐢𝐠𝐮𝐫𝐞 𝐢𝐭 𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐣𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐝𝐫𝐢𝐯𝐞 𝐬𝐥𝐨𝐰, 𝐬𝐭𝐫𝐚𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐰𝐚𝐫𝐝, 𝐨𝐫 𝐈...
217K 6.5K 28
{Fox AU} It's your first year in high school. You get forced to be the next Volleyball manger for Inarizaki by your older brothers. Will you survive...
367K 7K 21
MATURE CONTENT: READERS DISCRETION IS ADVISED Chapters: 4, 8, 12 , 15, 17, 20. Beware. You were stressed out to the point where you felt like it was...