Just Roommates

By justkending

These two college friends have had years to grow together. Each being the others support system, adventure bu... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two

Chapter Twenty-One

3.5K 96 6
By justkending

"Ok, yeah....Hmmm mmmm, I just wanted to double check on it with the date change."

Bucky had just returned home after a long day of work, and was still technically working with the phone call he was in the middle of.

Y/N turned in the kitchen at the sound of him coming in. The open concept flat made it easy for her to see him through the kitchen and send him a smile as she cooked. He returned it with a wink as he sat his briefcase by the entrance and began undoing his tie as he walked toward the kitchen.

"It's not that big of an issue, Lorraine," he sighed looking at Y/N as if trying to get her to save him. She just rolled her eyes and went back to cooking with a smile. "Really. Whether you told me today, or you told me the day before, it would've been fine... Ok, yeah... Thanks again. I'll get the details from you later..." He paused and Y/N watched as he was about to hang up the phone, but the woman on the other line kept going. "No, it's fine. How about you just text or email me the details? I- I gotta go Lorraine. Bye!" he rushed out, hanging up before she could continue. "God, as great as a secretary she is, she doesn't know when to quit," he groaned, leaning on the island that Y/N was working on.

"Is that the same Lorraine that always hits on Steve when he comes in?" Y/N asked as she chopped up some sun dried tomatoes.

"Yup. The woman is obsessed with him I'm pretty sure," he chuckled. "Hey, you don't think-"

"Don't set him up with her," Y/N quickly cut off his train of thought. "Clearly Steve is not interested, and from the few times I've talked to her, she doesn't seem anywhere close to his type."

"And what is his type?" Bucky grinned, coming behind her and embracing her from behind as she threw tomatoes into a pan she was also cooking chicken and broccoli in.

"She's a little too 'out there' for Stevie."

"Really?"

"Really," Y/N confirmed as he nuzzled his nose into her neck. "On another note! How was work today?"

"Ugh, hectic as usual," he groaned, pulling back to let her continue her own, but still staying close as he threw a piece of cooked chicken into his mouth. He was quickly shot a glare from his girlfriend for messing with her recipe, and he put his hands up in surrender before continuing. "Once this merger is 100% complete then everything will slow down though. Just waiting for that moment."

"And when will that be? Not long right?"

"Nope. That's what Lorraine was calling about," he nodded, finally getting the tie followed by the suits jacket off. He unbuttoned his shirt sleeves and rolled them up. "We're doing a charity ball again. This time to celebrate the merger and raise money for some of the new projects we're breaking out."

"Oh B! That's so exciting!" she jumped, clearly eager for him as she squeezed his arm.

"It's very exciting," he chuckled at her joy for him. "There's just one problem..." He sighed loudly to really play his part.

"What?" she asked, genuinely concerned.

"This charity ball and all... I need a date and I have no idea where to start looking," he said with a shake of his head really playing his role.

"That's a shame," Y/N played along. "And when is this charity ball?"

"Next week."

"Ah, well you better start looking soon. You don't have much time," she chided going back to cooking as if unbothered.

"And where do you suggest I look?" he said scooting closer, liking this little game.

"Not sure," she shrugged. "If I had to make a suggestion though, it wouldn't be here."

That shocked him some. "And why's that?"

"I think I'm busy that night, so not sure if I can help," she said not being able to hold back the mischievous grin on the corner of her lip as she stirred her food in the pan.

"I never said what night," he said, getting dangerously close and whispering in her ear. Two can play this game.

"You didn't?" she said, acting confused and turning to him, one hand on the hip, the other still holding the wooden spoon. "Weird. I thought you did."

"Nuh uh," he shook his head, never breaking eye contact. Now he couldn't hold back his grin and had to bite his lip. That only made it harder for her to play along.

"What was the date then?" she said looking at his lips and then quickly at his eyes.

"Next Friday."

"Shoot." She snapped her finger before going back to the food. "I have movie night with my boyfriend every Friday."

"I'm sure he won't mind missing one night," Bucky persuaded, wrapping a gentle hand around her waist and pulling her side into him.

"I don't know. It's kinda a tradition of ours... I wouldn't want to cancel on him," she sighed leaning into him, but not fully giving in just yet. She was going to win this round.

"I'm sure I could convince him otherwise," he whispered so close to her ear that he could have easily nibbled it to really tease her.

"Not sure about that. He's a little stubborn," she shrugged, not showing how bad she just wanted to grab him and throw him against a wall before taking him to the bedroom. 

"Fun fact. I've learned to handle stubborn people thanks to one of my best friends," he chuckled slowly.

"And how would you handle it?" she finally said turning to him and raising a single eyebrow.

"God, if you weren't cooking right now, I'd-"

"You'd what?" she challenged.

"God damn it," he practically growled, immediately picking her off the ground and wrapping her legs around him. In an instant he had her sitting on top of the opposite counter space, and their mouths were all over the others.

"Buck- The food-" she got out every other breath.

"It can wait," he said, only taking a millisecond to respond before attacking her lips again.

She gave in for a minute before the pasta started to boil over.

"Bucky!" she laughed trying to push him away.

"Ugh, FINE," he groaned, helping her off the counter, but not keeping his hands to himself just yet.

"Sorry," she laughed, taking the pasta off the stove top and moving it to the sink. "I just need to add the broth and put the other things in, and then..." She dumped the pasta into the strainer and turned back to him. "I suggest you go ahead and get changed for bed before we eat."

"I don't wear anything to bed," he said with that damn sparkle in his eye reigniting.

"What a coincidence? Neither do I," she said with a wink. His pupils practically grew to black at that. "2 minutes."

That's all he needed before giving her a quick, yet needy, kiss before sprinting to his room.

"Men. Can make them do literally anything with the mention of sex," she laughed, getting the food put together and marinating before making her way to Bucky. With every other step closer to the room, another piece of clothing coming off.
_____

"So he said this one is more formal than the past ones?" Wanda asked outside the fitting rooms.

"Yeah. The other ones were just cocktail hour kind of attire and events. This one is a full on charity BALL," Y/N responded from behind the curtain.

Y/N had confided in Wanda about her relationship considering she figured she would pick up on it before anyone else. Bucky had Steve, so it was only fair she had a confidant to talk to until they actually came out to their friends. At least that's what she thought, not knowing everyone had already picked up on it instantly.

The couple was more in the dark than the people they were trying to keep there.

"He only gave you a week to pick out a dress too?"

"He only found out about it last night. I was just lucky enough to have the day off today to come out and look." She peeked her head out from the curtain and flashed a smile at Wanda. "Thanks for coming by the way. It means a lot to me."

"Don't worry about it. I had half day anyway, and they have that new therapist coming in to help take some of my clients so I can have longer one on one sessions," Wanda waved off.

"How's that working by the way?" Y/N asked going back in to change.

"Good actually. I was worried about losing that connection with some of the residents, but it's helped me get to work with them better now that I have more time with them individually. Plus, the ones that I've passed on to Dr. Samson I still see everyday. Just in a much more casual setting."

"That sounds nice, Wands."

"It is," she grinned. "It's especially nice when I can come home earlier to Vis and have more time with him. But enough about me. Have you found one you like yet?"

"You're talking about dresses now, right?"

"Yes, silly," Wanda laughed.

"I don't know. I've put on like 3 so far, and I haven't even thought about looking at the price tag. But I just put the one I'm wearing on for the second time cause I can't make up my mind on it."

"Well, come out and let me see."

"I mean it's beautiful, but it's not anywhere close to classic."

"I can't tell you if that's true or not if you stay hidden behind that curtain," Wanda encouraged with a raised eyebrow and smile even though she couldn't see it.

"Ok, ok. One second," Y/N laughed. She gathered the bottom of the dress before turning around and opening the shield she was using to hide her attire. As soon as she came out Wanda's jaw practically hit the ground. "What? Too weird?"

"Too weird? Y/N your style has been anything but weird in all the time I've known you," Wanda assured, quickly standing up. "Wow. If you look this good in this dress, imagine your wedding gown?!"

"I wouldn't say that-" Y/N said, immediately going to be modest about it all.

"Don't start with me. You look absolutely stunning," Wanda grinned after walking around her and taking it all in. "You have to get it."

"I'm not sure... It is beautiful, but this is a pricey place," Y/N sighed, playing with the material as she turned to look in the giant mirror behind them.

"How much is it?"

"I don't know. I'm too scared to look at the tag. I planned on getting something in the clearance here, but this one just stuck out. It was meant to be a 'try on for fun' dress," she said, wrinkling her nose as she looked at Wanda in the mirror.

"For all we know it could be the cheapest dress in the store!" Wanda always was trying to stay positive. One reason the two got along. But right now, realism was going to win this round.

"I'm gonna look." Wanda nodded, as Y/N found the tag. As soon as she flipped it she saw one too many number places behind the dollar sign. "Holy-" she stopped, throwing her hand over her mouth noticing the store clerk turn their head their way. She sent a quick smile before looking back at Wanda. "I shouldn't even be able to breathe next to this thing, let alone wear it!" Y/N whispered shouted.

"It can't be that bad..." Wanda tried playing off as she looked at the tag. "Well damn," she said, going wide eyed. "Ok, you know what? It is stunning and most likely made for you, but there are other dresses out there. So many more that were made for you. Even princesses don't have just one dress fit for them."

"Let's be honest. No place is going to be cheap Wand," she sighed in defeat. "Maybe I can sew up one of my old dresses and make it formal enough for the event."

"Why don't you ask Bucky to help? You know he would do it in a heartbeat. No questions asked."

"Exactly. He wouldn't think twice, and I don't need him spending this much money on me." She shook her head grabbing the bottom and walking to the changing room. "We can try a few more stores, but this is too much."

"If you ask me, he should pay for it since he asked this late." Wanda crossed her arms as her friend went back to change. She knew deep down that wasn't the reason she was trying to persuade her, but anyone knew she could ask for Bucky to buy the whole world for her and he would hand over his card in a blink of an eye. Y/N just hated asking people for things. Miss. Independent as Bucky always called her.

"It's not his fault. His secretary forgot to inform him on the date change," Y/N said. "Plus, like you said. There are other dresses out there, and it's not that big of a deal. Worst case scenario I rent one or fix up an old one."

"You shouldn't have to fix one up, Y/N," Wanda sighed wanting the best for her. Also, knowing Bucky would want the best too.

"Let's not worry about it right now," Y/N said putting on a face as she walked out of the dressing room with the rejected dresses draped over her arm. "Let's go see if we can find another store, and after, we can get lunch at that cute cafe that just opened."

Wanda didn't push knowing Y/N had already made up her mind. They dropped off the dresses with a store clerk and then started heading out. Just right outside the doors though, Wanda turned around.

"Wait! I think I left my phone in there," she shouted, quickly rushing back in.

Y/N waited patiently checking her phone outside the shop. What she missed was the red head going to the store clerk, pointing out a certain dress, and leaving a note.

She came rushing back out before Y/N took notice of the suspicious activity.

"Ok, got it. Let's go," she grinned.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

24.3K 908 23
Marrying too young out of highschool leads to a naive and failed marriage. Now 10 years later, word comes that the divorce was never actually complet...
41.7K 1.3K 17
Your friend and roommate, Bucky, is a bit of an annoying fuckboy. He sleeps around as well as tries to be as annoying to you as possible. But here's...
109K 2.7K 15
~Renamed from Three's Company ****Don't read if you don't like Stucky smut**** Steve and Bucky have been friends for a long time, decades even. And t...
113K 2.7K 22
18+ Readers ONLY please! Being burned by the man I loved and thought I was going to spend my life with was without a doubt one of the hardest times i...