Serendipitous

By takemetoyourriver

No one ever expected the zombie apocalypse to take place. Just like Molly Grimes never expected to grow a unf... More

1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
13.
14.
15.
16.
18.
19.
20.
21.
22.
23.
24.
25.
26.
27.
28.
29.
30.
31.
32.
33.
34.
35.
36.
37.
38.
39.
40.
41.
42.
43.
44.
45.
46.
47.
48.
49.
50.
Authors Note

17.

1K 33 7
By takemetoyourriver

"Everything okay? Dale said you threw up earlier?" My mom asks poking her head in Shane's tent.

"Yeah, but I'm fine now. I think my stomach was just upset..."

"Oh? Molly, I think we should have a talk." Her eyes pierce right through me and I know exactly what she's going to say, what she's getting at.

"Mom, I am not—" I try to protest but she interrupts.

"We need to get you some migraine medication."

"What?"

"Oh, sweetie, I saw the way you were holding your head earlier before you came in this tent. Which by the way I am not ok with you sleeping in here with—Never mind. Your father and I are setting you up your own tent tonight." She tells me sweetly. This is the most we've spoken since we have been here and before I was shot. Maybe she's coming around? I hope.

"Mom, I—" Maybe I shouldn't argue with her on this sleeping arrangement. I could just let her think I am going to sleep in the tent they set up for me. I smile at her. "I love you, mom." But I mean it, I'm not just saying it just to say it. Her facial expression softens.

"I love you, too. I'm going to tell your dad we need to make a run into town with that Greene girl to get you some migraine pills." She tells me before kissing the top of my head and leaving the tent. I close my eyes again as another wave of nausea hits me, oh not again... When I hurriedly make my way out of the tent I bump into Shane who looks confused.

"Where are you going?" He asks but I rush past him and back into the field. "Molly?" I hear him call out for me sounding worried but I screw my eyes shut as I feel the burning come up from my throat. When I stand up straight I wipe the corners of my mouth feeling pretty gross, I am going to go get my toothbrush.

"Molly? Are you okay?" I hear Shane ask me, I turn around to see him approaching me with worry in his eyes.

"Oh... I'm okay, I think I have a migraine" I tell him, he pulls me in for a hug.

"I just got back from looking for Sophia but if you want, I can run into town and get you something?" He offers, but I don't want him going alone and my parents are already going to get me some migraine medicine.

"Thank you... it's okay though. My mom is going to get me some medicine soon" I respond and he nods his head.  "Any luck with finding Sophia?"

He shakes his head sideways at me with a saddened expression making me feel the same way. She's just a child and she's all alone out there, we have to find her, there has to be some way...

"We can't give up. Not yet."

"Maybe... There is only so long before..." His voice trails off quietly and I realize what he is getting at.

"I don't even want to think about that" I tell him folding my arms over my chest. I look over to see Maggie returning with Glenn, they must have our stuff. "I'm going to go get my toothbrush" I smile at him before making my way over to my parents tent.

I walk over to Maggie who discreetly hands me a fix of tampons, we exchange a smile at one another before I go to walk over to my parent's tent. My mom is whispering to Glenn until she glances my way and smiles at me, Glenn sees me and walks away over to Maggie leaving my mom and I alone.

"If you keep throwing up I'm going to have to find you some chicken broth to drink. Here's some toothpaste, go brush your teeth and I'll go get those migraine pills tomorrow if you're still feeling bad." She tells me and I nod my head.

When I enter the empty rv I go to the bathroom and brush my teeth. After wiping my mouth I stare at my pale reflection in the mirror, when did I get so pale? Maybe I should go out into the sun more... A sigh leaves my lips. Why did I even ask Maggie to get me these? My period hadn't even come—not that it isn't going to ever come because I am sure it will. I leave the bathroom and go to the calendar to look at the days that Dale has marked off and dated on. He wrote small notes of what happened on each day, when Andrea and Amy caught fish and the camp when to hell, when we got to the CDC, when I was shot and we came here.
My heart begins to pound quickly in my chest, my period really hasn't come... What on Earth am I going to do. Should I talk to my mom about this? Who am I kidding, I can't talk to her about this... She'll flip out as well as my dad who will probably react even worse. The throwing up, my missed period that's been days and weeks late, maybe I am pregnant. The sting of tears fills my eyes but I quickly wipe them away feeling afraid and not wanting to cry right now. The one thing left to do is to ask Maggie if I can get a pregnancy test today before the sun decides to go down anymore. I leave the box of tampons under the bathroom sink before rushing out of the rv and leaving my toothbrush and toothpaste in the tent Shane and I sleep in.

I can't tell Shane, at least not yet. How is he even going to react to this? Will he be angry? Will be want me to get rid of it... Do I even want to get rid of it if I am pregnant? This is all too much for me to think about right now, I just need to get this pregnancy test and take it before I even think any further. Maggie is standing outside talking to Glenn hushed and intently before she turns her head to see me panting from running.

"Hey, Glenn, can I talk to Maggie privately please?" I try to sound not out of breath but I know it doesn't work. He gives me a polite nod before walking away from the two of us.

"I know this might be asking a lot but can we please make another run back into town?" My eyes are pleading.

"It's a little far and there isn't much of daylight left. What's wrong?" She asks quietly. I might as well just tell her, she would find out anyway if I ask her to get it.

"Please don't say anything to anyone but—" I look around quickly before making eye contact with her again leaning in closer to her. "I need a pregnancy test..."

"Oh." Realization hits her face as she nods understandingly at me. "Okay, we can go do that..."

"There's a car we can use since the sun is going down, it will be quicker this way too" I tell her.

"A car?"

"Yeah, Shane's car but we can't tell him what we are going to get" As I tell her this, her eyes flicker over to his direction and I see him talking to Andrea in the distance. "Please?"

"Say no more. Let's go."

Maggie and I walk over to Shane who immediately turns his attention away from Andrea and focuses it on me.

"Hey, what's going?" He asks looking between Maggie and I. I am going to have to tell a white lie, maybe...I have never been the greatest at lying.

"Maggie and I have to run back into town to get some medicine and since there isn't a lot of daylight left, can we use your car?" I ask him with pleading eyes, he glances at Maggie before looking back at me.

"You're going to go with her?"

"Well, yeah, I don't want her going by herself"

"I know, just be safe and take this" He responds before hanging me a very large knife and the keys to his car.

"Oh" I am unsure of what else to say, I have never held a knife so big before but I give him a reassuring smile. "I'll be careful. Thank you."

Maggie and I make our way to the car and I toss her the keys before getting in the passenger side. The drive to the small store is quick and we both make small talk on the way there, she doesn't ask me about my relationship with Shane but she doesn't seem judgmental about it either which I am happy about.

"Do you want to come in too? I could just run in and grab it if you want. You can stay here and watch the car" She suggests before pulling up to the building.

"Well... The sun is setting... I guess I'll stay here" I tell her. Maggie nods before getting out of the car and hurriedly going inside, she is out in a matter of minutes with two pregnancy tests in her hands before getting back in the car and putting the pregnancy tests in the console.

"Oh, you got two?" I ask as she begins to drive.

"Yeah, it's always better to have two so that way you really know for sure"

We drive back to the farm just at the sun has almost gone down completely, I whisper thank you to her as we leave the car and Maggie goes toward her house. I can't do this in the rv without Dale asking questions and I can't do this in the Greene's house without everyone being curious, questions will be asked either way. The only way I can do this is by going out into the field alone and finding ohh by myself. Everyone seems to be getting ready for bed and I know Shane is in his tent because I can see the outline of his shadow from the lamp in the tent that's on.

A shaky breath leaves my lips as I make my way into the field with the pregnancy tests in hand, part of me is really hoping I'm not pregnant. I can't have a baby in this world with the way it is, but it would be our baby... Shane and I would have a baby. I want to smile at the thought of it but I quickly suppress that feeling. Maybe in a lovely fantasy that would happen but this is real life, the world has ended as far as I know and I don't even know if Shane would be happy about this. I close my eyes as I hold the pink stick underneath me for a few more seconds before setting it down away from me so I can't read it just yet. I grab the second stick and hold it underneath me before waiting a few minutes.

When I pick up the first stick, I hold it up to my face and my eyes widen while the feeling of my stomach sinking hits me. Another wave of nausea flows through me but this time it isn't because I am about to throw up, it's because the test reads positive. No, this can't be happening... Not now. I grab the second stick as my hands begin to shake, when I hesitantly look at the second stick my eyes betray me as the tears roll down my cheeks. Both tests are positive.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.8K 39 6
The zombie Apocolypse could not have come at a worse time for the Grimes/Dixon family. by geekygirl699 on ao3
43.8K 1.8K 56
there is beauty and disappointment in betrayal - shane walsh x fem! oc
2.1K 116 7
IN WHICH Theodore Grimes is just trying to survive without any sense of direction. or Where somehow two people fall in love during an apocalypse, som...
158K 4.2K 42
She's a wildfire, touch her and you'll burn. [Rick Grimes] [The Walking Dead]