Code Breaker

By menarhodes

Bethany Adamson has done everything that her strict parents and uncle Brian have demanded of her. Straight A'... More

2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
The Ending

1

2.2K 85 9
By menarhodes

   "What are you saying, mom?"

  "You heard me! Darren is not your father. So he is refusing to pay for your college. You'll have to get another job."

  "And you just decided to tell me this, only two months before I graduate?" I look between my mom and dad. Slash that. The man that I grew up thinking was my dad. "How do you know that I'm not your daughter? I look just like Angie." I ask dad.

  "That's because you are my niece. Your mom slept with Brian when I was in jail. I was in jail from March until August. We had broken up in January. You were conceived in April. There's no way that I can be your sperm donor."

  "Why tell me now when all these years you have known? I even asked you all through my first semester,  if you were still paying for half of my tuition. You always said that you would pay half. Even last week, we were talking about it!" I cried. This can't be happening!

  "Yeah well, I changed my mind. You have half of what you need for two years. Instead of going to an expensive college, go to a junior college. I will only charge you a hundred dollars a month for rent."

  "And yet everyone else lives here for free!" I stand and start pacing. I can't believe that they are doing this to me! "You both said that you were proud of me for getting good grades and getting accepted into a good college. I was supposed to sign the commitment contract next week. Now my whole life is upside down. You guys really know how to screw up a great thing! The only reason that I didn't apply for grants or scholarships, was because you have always said that you'll pay. You're both liars!"

  "Don't blame me! Your mother is the one who cheated."

  "That makes two of you! You are sleeping with Gail Jackson and her sister!" Mom gasped in shock. "Don't act so offended mother! You are sleeping with Gary Burke! You two deserve each other!" I went to my room. What the hell am I going to do now?

  I look at my phone. Then dial the number. "Yeah?"

  "Brian, this is Bethany. Can we meet up and talk?"

  "What's wrong, Beth?"

  "I need to see you face to face. Please, uncle Brian."

  "Alright, I'm at work until seven. Can it wait until then?"

  "Yes. It is almost seven now."

  "Alright, I'll swing by your place."

  "NO! No, please. I'll meet you at the diner." I offered instead. That is halfway between the station and his house. I wipe my tears off my face. "Please?"

  "Alright baby, I will meet you there in half an hour."

  "Thank you, uncle Brian. I really appreciate it!"

  "Anything for you, baby." He hung up.

  I grab my keys and bag. Leaving my room, I hear mother and him  arguing about cheating. I pass them without stopping. I get into my car and drive the fifteen minutes to the Corner Diner. I pick a corner booth in the back. Away from everyone else. I sit with my back to the window. I know that Brian will want his back to the wall. A habit formed from Kuwait.

  I look up a conception calendar and filled in my birthday. The fourth to the tenth of April. What the fuck?

  Dad, Darren, went to jail on March sixteenth until August twenty-first. There is no possible way that Darren can be my father. Even if they hadn't been split up as he said. I take a sip of my tea. I don't understand why this is happening now!

  Brian slips into the booth across from me. "Hey, what's with all the tears? What's wrong, baby?" He wipes my face as he searches my eyes. Eyes that are just like his. Gray!

  "You are my father?" I ask him quietly. His eyes widened. "You are!"

  He reached for my hands and held them. "Yes, baby. I am your father." We sat there while I try to digest all this information. "How did you find out?"

  "They told me today after school. Mom said that he won't help me pay for my school. Because he isn't my dad. That you were because he was in jail when I was conceived. They said that you were my father. Now I can't afford to pay for A&M. Or any good school. He told me to go to a junior college and he would only charge me a hundred for rent. I was supposed to sign the contract next week. Now that is over. I have to withdraw."

  I can tell that he was getting pissed. I put a hand on his fist. He instantly focused on me again. "Please don't throw me away too. Tell me the truth. How long have you known that I am your daughter? Are you sure that I'm not someone else's?"

  "Baby, I have been paying child support for seventeen years. Our agreement was that I would pay and half the money went into a trust account for college."

  "They didn't do that. What do I do now? I can't afford school. So I can't sign."

  "Have you thought about junior college? Or there is the military. You can move in with me."

  "Junior college is ok. Except I don't want to invest all that money for half the learning that I will need. What can I learn in the military? I want to be a computer programmer. I'm good at it."

  "Why don't we order some dinner and talk about our options?" He waved the waitress over and ordered us some burgers.

  "I can't stay there. I kinda started a fight between them."

  "How did you do that?" He asked as he sat back in his seat. I told him about each of their extra marital affairs. He laughed loudly, causing eyes to focus on us. "You are classic! I love it!"

  As we ate, we got a few things ironed out. A few other things started making sense. Things like uncle Brian always pushing me to make better grades, to better myself. Uncle Brian always taking an interest in my sports and teaching me karate. He always had to see my report cards. If I had trouble with a subject or needed supplies for a project, he was there for me. But not for Angie or Dustin. We decided that I would move in with him for the last two months of school. In the meantime, I will take the test for the military and see what they can offer. Get enough time in the Army or Air Force to get a G.I Bill. Then go to college.

  "You sacrificed so much for me. Now it makes sense. I just wish you could have told me a lot sooner."

  "I have always loved you the most."

  "Why did you never marry?"

  "Because nobody would understand the situation. Because they would want my full attention. I couldn't give them that. You had my attention and my heart."

  "You need a good woman. One who will cook for you, clean for you, and love you. If she loves you, then she will accept me and our situation. I know that you have a good woman at your side now."

  Sherri is a good woman. She loves Brian. She has two sons who she is raising by herself.

  "I need to tell her about you. Do you think that she will stick around?"

  "Yeah, she will. She likes me, but she loves you. Call her."

  "Hi guys! I didn't expect to see you here!"

  I look up and see Sherri walking toward us.

  "We were just talking about you! Join us." I told her with a smile.

  "Thank you, I only have a few minutes. The boys have a game tonight."

  "Hi, sweetheart. I need to tell you something. I just don't know how you will take it." He paused.

  "Are you breaking up with me?" Sherri asked.

  "No! But you might decide to."

  "Just tell me straight out. You know that I don't like to be lied to." Her face was serious and scared.

  Still he paused. "Tell her. Or do you want me to do it?"

  He shook his head then looked at Sherri. "Bethany is my daughter. Not my niece."

  Sherri sat there, digesting what he had said. "So you lied to me about her?"

  "Not just you. Everyone. Bethany was just told today. The deal was that I pay child support, but couldn't tell her. They would raise her as my brother's. I never meant to hurt you or anyone else. I will understand if you can't accept me and my daughter."

  "Is this why you never married? Because you are afraid that I can't accept your daughter?" He nodded his head. "Well I must say that it is a blow. But I accept Bethany as your daughter. You should be proud of her. Let the world know."

  I smiled so big that my lips were in danger of splitting open. I gave Brian the 'I told you so' look. But his eyes were on Sherri.

  "So do you want that ring yet?" He asked her. (Side note: That is exactly how my husband proposed to me in real life! Now back to the story.)

  "Honey, I have wanted it for a long time!" She replied.

  They kissed. "It is so good to see you guys happy. It gives me hope for the same." I said when they separated. "Sherri, how do you feel about me living with my dad?"

  "I think that the best thing that you can do is stay with your father. You know how I feel about your mother." She looked back to Brian. "And you will tell me how this came about." He nodded as the waitress brought her meal. "I have to go. Congratulations, Bethany. You finally have a good parent."

  I laughed and thanked her. Brian kissed her again. Then she left.

  "So what do you want to do now? Go to the game or what?"

  "I want to go to your mother's house and help you pack. I hope like hell that they try to start something with me." He paid the bill and stood with me.

  We get to the house and mom is still arguing with Darren. Brian and I go to my room and start packing my stuff in bags. Darren comes to the door.

  "What do you think you're doing?" He asks us.

  "I'm moving in with my dad." I never look at him as I keep packing.

  "You are staying here." That made me look at him.

  "Why? So you can keep getting money to blow on yourself or your girlfriends? No thanks!"

  "You are not moving out! He may be your father, but I'm on your birth certificate. You will stay here!"

  "Then you should have kept your mouth shut about who my father is."

  I turn my back to him. "Touch her and I will beat your fuckin ass!" I turn back around and Brian is standing between me and his brother.

  "Fine! You have fifteen minutes to get the hell out of my house! Don't ever come back!"

  "As you wish." I replied. I finish in five minutes.

  "Where you goin, asswipe?" Angie asked from my doorway.

  "Moving in with my dad. The room is all yours.

  "What the hell you talking bout? Dad is your dad. You only wish that uncle Brian is your dad." Dustin asks from behind Angie.

  "Ask your father. If he is your sperm donor. Who knows! Darren gave me fifteen minutes to get out. So, I'm gone! Have fun with them."

  Brian grabbed my two bags as I grabbed all of my hanging clothes. We left the house for the last time. I follow him to his house and we put my stuff in the room that he had always kept for me.

  "So do I call you 'dad' now?"

  "If you want. No pressure."

  I nod. "Why don't you go to the game? It would mean a lot to Sherri and the twins."

  "I don't want to abandon you."

  "You aren't. Go! I'll be here when you get back." I turn him for the door.

  "Alright, baby! I should be back in less than two hours. If you need me, call."

  "I will, dad. Be safe!" I kiss his cheek as we always do. He kissed mine, then left.

  I sit at my desk in my room and look through the package of papers from the college. Maybe I can catch someone at the office. I dial the number.

  "Hi, Mr. Edwards. This is Bethany Adamson."

  "Hello, Ms. Adamson! What can I help you with this evening."

  "I'm calling to inform you that I will not be able to attend A&M next semester. My funds have disappeared." I tell the man who I have been communicating with all along.

  "That is very unfortunate. It is too late to get other funding. Are you sure that you can't work something out?"

  "I have been racking my brain and came up with two options. One, I go to community college. Two, I go into the military and work for the GI bill."

  "I hate to hear that. Thank you for calling and telling me. I was just about to start working on your contract." He hung up without another word.

  I just sat there looking at my phone. Did he just seriously hang up on me? Rude ass sucker! Well I guess that was that. I'm no longer going to be an Aggie. That sucks! But it is life! At least that's my life. On to the next solution. I start checking out the Army website. There were quite a few things that I could get into that interest me. I think that the recruiter will be at school Monday. I will talk to them then. I get started on my homework that is due tomorrow. Tomorrow is Friday, I have to work and a soccer game. I always have to work on every weekend. So I don't have a social life.

  My phone vibrates with a text from Brian.....dad. Want to meet us for ice cream?

  On my way! I reply instantly then leave.

  I get to the ice cream shop in about five minutes. We pull into the lot at the same time and met at the door. Braden and Jaden were in a great mood. "I guess you guys won your game." They are identical except Braden is a half inch shorter. His eyes are green. Jaden has blue eyes. They are both just a bit over six feet tall at sixteen years old. They both play football, basketball, and soccer. Today was a soccer game.

  "You know it, shorty! Your turn!" Jaden said with a hug. "Eight to two!"

  "Tomorrow evening, you going to be there?" I play softball, soccer, and run track. "Saturday is a track meet. I expect you guys there!"

  "We will!" Braden answers for them with a hug.

    We order our ice cream and go to sit as we normally would. Brian and Sherri at one table. Braden, Jaden, and I at another.

  "Hey guys, we need to talk to all of you. Let us grab that booth." Dad said.

  He and Sherri lead the way. "Do you know what they want to talk about?" Jaden asks me.

  I nod. "Its about me. At least I think that's what they want to discuss."

  "What about you, shorty?" Braden asked.

  "Have you been crying?" Jaden asked suddenly.

  I nod again without talking. We sit down as they are looking at me worriedly. "I'm ok, guys. You'll understand soon."

  "Are you trying to get outta giving us Aggie shirts?" Braden asked. I know that he is trying to cheer me up. It just isn't working this time. Just the opposite.

    "You'll have to wait a while for the shirts. Sorry, little twerp." I am sitting between them. They share a look over my head. Tears flood my eyes. I wipe them while nobody is looking at me.

  "You ok, baby?" Dad asked. I nod again. Fresh tears are flooding my eyes. I look down at my sundae, so nobody can see them.

  "What do you guys want to discuss?" Jaden asked.

  Dad and Sherri look at each other. Then back to us. Dad spoke.

  "I want to ask you if it is alright if your mom and I get married."

  "Well it is about time!"
  "Finally!"

    I chuckled at them. "I think they don't mind, dad!" I automatically call him dad.

   There was a look of awe on his face. The guys are quiet too. They are looking between Brian and myself. My face turns red.

  "That is new." Jaden said quietly. "Care to share?"

  "That was the other thing that we wanted to discuss. I am Bethany's father. I have known her whole life. She was told today."

  "Wow!" Both boys said instantly.

  "My step-father refuses to pay for half of my college as he had promised. It was dad and mother's agreement that dad would pay child support and they would put back half for my college. They didn't put back anything. That is when they told me that my father is actually Brian. Sorry guys! I'm not going to A&M. So you'll have to wait for the shirts."

  "What are you going to do? A&M has been your dream for as long as we've known you." Braden asked.

   "I have been thinking about it. I'm going to talk to the army recruiter, Monday at school. Dad and I discussed some options. I think that the military is the best option for me right now. I looked it up online. They have a lot of careers in computers. If I don't get to train in computers in the military, I can go to college in a few years at the army's expense."

  We were quiet for a few moments. "Alrighty then! Mom and Brian will get married. Then we get to have Beth as a sister. I say that is a win win!" Braden said.

  "I say that Bethany is better off with Brian as a father. Darren needs his ass kicked. Sorry for the language mom, but its the truth."

  "You're good, Jaden. There is no other way to say it. We all agree on that." Sherri told her older twin son.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

577K 13.1K 32
When Rebecca moves back to her hometown for a friend's wedding, unfortunate circumstances put her near her ex-boyfriend, who left her completely brok...
Given Time By K.Ward

Teen Fiction

2.9M 67.8K 55
As kids, Leah and Tanner hated each other. To this day, they still do. Tanner Cole is tall, dark, tattooed, and insanely attractive, though his ugly...
872K 22.7K 39
After meeting at Saturday School, Alex and Ezra form an intense connection, so intense they decide to keep it between themselves, by being in a secre...
1K 24 22
"All week, you've been on my mind, and I can't make it go away. Finally, after suffering in silence for so long at the thought of your lips, your lau...