Just Roommates

By justkending

These two college friends have had years to grow together. Each being the others support system, adventure bu... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two

Chapter Eight

4.1K 141 65
By justkending

45 minutes later, Bucky was sitting in the living room, ready to go in a new button-up tucked into his nice jeans and a sports coat to add a hint of formality. The first few buttons were undone on the light blue dress shirt—maybe on purpose. The only person he was worried about impressing was Y/N, but as soon as she walked out of her room, he felt like he came nowhere close to her league.

Her natural hair was pulled back in a loose braid, and her curtain bangs delicately framed her face. She had a subtle blush on her cheeks, a quick swipe of eyeshadow to bring out the Y/E/C in her eyes, which only complimented her more, and her eyelashes naturally curled with volume.

But the dress? It was 100% Y/N. Her stylish and simply adorable self was clothed in a mid-length, red-printed dress littered with white flowers for detail. And though the dress wasn't anything flashy, the slit up the thigh did bring attention to her legs.

(This hairstyle with that naturally curly hair look:)

She looked up from where she was checking the contents of her purse, smiled at Bucky, and then looked back down as she asked, "Ready to go?"

With her head down, she didn't notice Bucky drooling in the corner. Lucky for him, he quickly collected himself.

The soft mumble of the word "Perfect" was all that left his mouth.

"What?" she chuckled, looking up.

"I mean-" he cleared his throat, standing and straightening his posture and outfit. "I'm perfect. Perfectly ready to go," he tried to save himself.

"Ok..." She dragged out the syllable with a quirked smile and eyed him with a squint. She stopped her assessment, looking him up and down. "Well, don't you look dashing," she said, motioning to him. "The ladies won't be able to keep their hands to themselves. Or their comments knowing them," she laughed, throwing her purse over her shoulder and adjusting an earring.

"You're one to talk," he said, this time unable and unwilling to hold back his smile.

"Now, I can't give Stan an ugly date," she winked, going to the kitchen to grab her keys on the hook.

"You've never been a contender in the category 'ugly date', Darling," he mumbled.

As she moved to the bartop to grab her keys and a card she had written for Stan, again with the small meaningful gestures, she stopped and crinkled her nose at him.

"You're too kind," she took the compliment as best as she could, given she sucked at taking compliments at all. "Oh, I did forget to tell you that Steve said he may have a date for you, too."

"Really?" he asked confused. Steve was setting him up?

"Yeah, you know Gale?" she shouted, moving further into the kitchen.

"Gale?" he whispered to himself, trying to put a face to the name.

"Yeah, she was a nurse in the Korean War. She was medaled with a purple heart after-"

"After running into the field to save a wounded soldier by dragging them back to trenches, right?" Bucky nodded as it came back to him, and he realized it wasn't a younger date he was imagining.

"Got it," Y/N confirmed, returning and tapping her nose to say, spot on. "Risked getting captured herself, but man. What a woman..."

"What a woman indeed," Bucky repeated, wishing the woman he was talking about was the actual date Steve was trying to set him up with.

"Ok. I have my keys and everything else. I should be set," she smiled up at him. God, he could melt into a puddle right there, but he had to straighten up.

"After you, Sugar," he motioned to the door.

"Why thank you, kind sir," she played along, placing a hand on her chest in thanks as she headed out.

Bucky was just happy that he could stare at her without her seeing.

_____

The two got to the senior home, and not even five seconds after arriving, Steve had them put to work. Y/N went with Sam to organize buffet tables and pick out music, while Bucky was recruited for decoration duty.

"Y/N looks nice tonight," Steve voiced as Bucky handed him a tac for the banner they were hanging.

Bucky slowly looked up at his friend standing on a chair and glared at him. "Do you think torturing me is a smart tactic when my foot is inches from the leg of this chair?" Bucky tapped it with his shoe to show how easily he could have the blonde on his ass in seconds.

"Was she finally there when you got home today, or was she still out with Thor?" Steve continued on, unbothered by the threat.

Bucky heaved a deep sigh. "She was home. She was on the couch sketching like she usually would be. It was nice seeing something back to normal."

"It's been a few weeks, Buck. It's not like she's been out and about for months."

"Feels closer to the second one..." he sighed.

"You know what? I don't feel bad for you anymore," Steve declared, stepping down from the chair and brushing off his hands.

"Wow. Thanks," Bucky replied, sending him a bitch face, and slowly blinked at his insult.

"You had a chance, and you waited too long. Now she's moving on and has a potential boyfriend," Steve crossed his arms and shrugged at Bucky. "You can't be mad that you didn't talk to her about these feelings when you realized them and that she continued on with her life, unknowing of them."

"Ok, well, like you said, it's been a few weeks, Rogers." He went back on his earlier argument without hesitation. "I think it may be a little soon to say boyfriend," he let out a 'pft' sound.

"Week or five months, there's a spark there, and it's only going to grow. As for your little issue, you can't do anything now."

"And why not?" Bucky was defensive at the rule Steve was putting in front of him.

"You really want to make her all confused and then have her hate you because you told her your feelings just as she was growing happy with someone else?" Steve shot up an eyebrow.

"Well, no, but-"

"But nothing. Now, all you can do is be there for her as a friend and nothing more. So, those little lingering stares you have when she's in the room and the constant looking to see if she's coming back in after leaving for two seconds? It's got to stop."

Bucky scrunched his face and gave a look of ignorance. "I don't know what you mean. And you're also being an ass."

"You're confusing being an ass with realistic. I'm being realistic, Buck," he shrugged, patting his shoulder as he walked by him, moving on to the next decoration.

Bucky looked over at the DJ station where Sam, Y/N, and Wanda were laughing about something. He let out a melancholy sigh before following Steve.

He was right. Time to put these feelings away. More for her than him.

__________________________

The night took off without a hitch. All the seniors had the time of their lives. There was a game of bingo and then Jeopardy. Even a tiny raffle with little gift baskets that had been donated went on. And best of all, there was mingling.

Y/N and Bucky got to know more of the families of the friends they had made in the facility. They were all very sweet and kind people visiting their loved ones and getting a chance to party with those they saw occasionally.

Stan, the whole night, made sure to keep close to Y/N wherever she was. It was cute, and he was a hoot, so Y/N didn't bat an eye but instead brightened at the man when he made his little jokes and told all kinds of stories.

"May I have this dance, my dear?" he asked after they had mingled and played games for the last hour. The music had grown in volume, and others gathered around the dance floor.

"Stan, I must warn you, I'm not the best dancer," Y/N laughed, taking his hand anyway.

"It's true. The woman can do all kinds of twists and turns in yoga and gymnastics, but when it comes to dancing, she's a complete klutz," Sam added.

"Hey!"

"Might as well have two left feet," Wanda added.

"Ok, this wasn't an invitation to attack me," she pouted with her lip out, but a gleam in her eye told her friends it was slightly funny even if she argued it.

"It's ok, sweetheart. I could be better myself. We'll make fools of ourselves together," Stan winked, pulling her hand toward the recreation room's makeshift dance floor.

"Wow. The only kind soul here," Y/N smiled, moving to the dance floor with him. "Maybe you all should take notes," she sassed, looking back and sticking her tongue out. They made faces back at her before smiling and laughing while Y/N went to dance with Stan.

Bucky was helping an older woman to a table next to the crew when he noticed Y/N laughing and dancing with the older man.

"He got her out there?" Bucky smiled as he watched her.

"After some light teasing, Stan was able to convince her to give him a chance to steal her heart," Sam answered, standing up next to Bucky and putting his hands in his pockets.

"Careful, Buck. It may just happen," Wanda came to the other side of him and bumped his shoulder.

"I have no clue as to what you mean," he said robotically, his gaze never pulling from her and his attention set on her. Wanda and Sam shared a look. "You tell him she might step on his feet?" Bucky asked, never breaking concentration.

"He's been thoroughly warned. Nothing is going to stop that man from living his dream, though," Wanda smiled.

"Sergeant Barnes?" an older woman's voice said behind him. The crew turned to see little fragile Gale behind them.

"Miss. Gale," Bucky grinned as he turned fully to her.

"I was wondering if you would be so kind as to dance with me," she asked sweetly, her hands together as she waited for his answer.

"It would be my absolute honor, ma'am." He nodded with his grin still on his face and slightly bowed, offering his hand to her.

"Always such a sweet young gentleman," she hummed, taking his offer and moving to the dance floor with the rest.

They danced for a while. Y/N laughed as Stan twirled her around and showed her different upbeat dances from his time. Bucky had his feet shuffling as a group of women herded around him and giggled like school girls at the handsome young man dancing with them.

Eventually, a majority of the people on the dance floor were having a ball. Even Steve, Wanda, and Sam were dancing and enjoying themselves.

Bucky looked over like he had been every few seconds, seeing Y/N with a wide-cheek-hurting grin plastered on her face. Her expression showed pure glee as she talked and laughed with Stan. Lieutenant Jones and Wanda danced next to them and tagged into their conversation here and there. She had gotten the hang of a little swing-out dance that Stan was attempting with her. Twirling and moving her arms as if she had done it a million times before, but just a touch rusty from being out of practice.

That was the thing about her, though. Even if she was a clumsy mess when she first started things, that girl could pick up a talent in less than 30 minutes. It amazed Bucky every time.

"You know? You should ask a lady out if you look at her like that," Gale commented, squeezing Bucky's tricep, bringing him back down to earth.

"What?" Bucky looked down at his current dance partner. "Oh, Y/N? Oh, no, we're just friends. It's not like that and honestly probably won't ever-"

"Yeah, yeah. Save the excuses for someone it will work on," Gail winked and chuckled. The music turned to something slower. "It's about time for a slow song. Why don't you ask her to dance? I'll help lure Stan away from her. I don't think he's left her side since he's seen her." She looked over Bucky's shoulder as they disconnected.

"I don't know if that's a good idea," Bucky said with a forced chuckle, hurt that his words were true.

"Nonsense," Gail waved off, pushing him closer to Y/N, who was leaning to hear something Stan was saying. "Go... Stan!" she shouted, waving the older man over. "Care for a dance old man?"

Stan turned his attention to Gale after Y/N patted his shoulder as an answer to something and he looked to her for permission. Y/N nodded and smiled, whispering something with a wink before he marched over to Gale with a spunk in his step.

Screw it, Bucky thought. He can have one dance with her.

"Any chance you're in need of a new dance partner?" Bucky spoke up. His voice almost cracked with nerves. Why was he nervous?

"You're going to volunteer yourself for some foot stompings?" she laughed, matching his step.

"If we can keep it to a minimum on the foot stompings, that'd be appreciated, but I can't say it would turn me away completely," Bucky quipped back, and he was happy he could at least pretend like it was another day for the two.

"Well with that kind of offer, how could I refuse," she giggled, taking his hand he outstretched. "I would love to dance with you, Buck, " she said, surprising him further into the dance floor.

As if his nerves weren't already shot, being in closer proximity and holding her around the waist caused them to skyrocket. It's not like he hadn't danced with Y/N before. They had attended weddings, anniversary parties, and charity events together, all of which involved dancing at some point in time.

But tonight? Tonight's dance held a different kind of connection than those given the time.

"You seem tense again, B. What's going on with you lately?" she asked, genuinely concerned for her best friend.

Jumping out of his thoughts, he noticed how rigid he was and how far apart the two were. He had to play it off quickly.

Thinking back to how Y/N had taught him to ease his tension for as long as they had known each other, Bucky took a deep breath before pushing aside his nerves. This was his best friend. Nothing more. He could act like everything was expected because it was.

"Sorry," he apologized, pulling her in more and moving his hand to her more around her back. No feelings. No feelings. No feelings. He kept repeating in his head.

"No need to apologize. I'm just worried," she said with a soft smile that looked like the one before she went into a deep talk. Oh God, Bucky wasn't sure if he could handle a deep conversation with her now. She always had him confessing everything to her in those. "Is it still about that work thing?"

"Uh, yeah. It's been creeping back in my head at the worst times," Bucky nodded, attempting to put a nonchalant smile on his face.

"Tell me about it," she said, being the listener she was.

"I don't want to bore you," he shook his head.

"But I want to help-"

"We can forget it for tonight. I just want to enjoy the evening like we are," he reassured, squeezing her hand in his gently.

"Ok... If that's what you want," she nodded, looking into his eyes, trying to find any sense that he was lying. When she couldn't find one, she relaxed some and leaned more into him. She began looking around as if just now noticing the decorations and such. "This is really sweet for them to do."

"What? The dance?" Bucky hummed, looking down at her.

"The dance, inviting family and friends for games, the donations, and raffles," she listed.

"Oh, yeah. I saw a basket with your name on it. What exactly did you donate?" Bucky nodded in the direction of the auctioned goods.

"Oh," she laughed with him. "Steve was trying to get a few extra ones and asked if I could do a painting session as one of the baskets. He said everyone loves the sessions I have and he thought it would be a good giveaway." She was blushing at the subtle compliment from the residents.

"I don't blame them. You're a great teacher," Bucky noted, watching the pink on her cheeks brighten past her makeup.

"I'm not really teaching," she said, unsure of herself. She tended to get flustered with compliments even though they followed her everywhere.

"That's a lie. Even if it weren't, you know for a fact you are making a difference in these people's lives." She was close to cutting him off, but he continued before she could. "Take it from someone who's seen that part of the world. The hard, angry, red, hateful, and war-filled part of this earth. Seeing and being around a sincere, gentle, understanding, and compassionate soul like yours? That does something. It's hard not to want to spend time with someone like that. You create growth and perseverance in these people, Y/N/N. Something not a lot of people are capable of doing for others."

He hadn't realized it, but the two were barely swaying now and looking deep... DEEP into each other's eyes. He didn't mean for all those sentimental things to fall out, but he couldn't stop himself when she doubted herself, even if it was just a little.

"Buck. That was..." she said with a blank stare. Shit. He went too far. He made it uncomfortable. But then her face slowly developed into a smile. The same one he loved to be the reason behind. The one that was bashful and sweet and lit up a whole room. "You know how to make a girl feel good about herself just when she needs it."

He noticed the most subtle gloss over her eyes.

"Oh, God. Are you tearing up?" he said, worried, placing both hands on both sides of her face and looking back and forth between her eyes.

"No, no, B. I'm fine," she brushed off with a weak chuckle and wiped at her face. Bucky still kept a close distance and moved his hands to her shoulders.

"Why are you crying then?" he said with more concern. "Did something happen? What-"

"B. I'm fine," she said, now placing her hands on his face. "I just... I just needed to hear that, I guess."

"Someone should always tell you how much you mean to this world. There shouldn't be a day where you second guess it," he reassured, grabbing her hands, pulling them to his chest, and squeezing them.

"Well, those second-guessing days come and go as they please."

Bucky furrowed his eyebrows at the confession. "Why? What's going on?" he persisted.

"It's nothing. Really. I don't want to drag the evening down. We were having such a good time..." She shook her head and began pulling back, but he held on tight.

"Hey, you're there for me all the time. It's a two-way street."

She paused, hesitant to say something to make the evening depressing, and looked around worried someone would hear.

"Hey, Y/N. Look at me," Bucky said, gently turning her face to his. His thumb on her chin and index finger lifted her gaze to his. "Tell me what's going on in that pretty head of yours," he said with a small reassuring smile.

She returned slowly and looked around once more. "I don't know... Lately, I feel like I'm not doing as much as I could be."

"How so?" he hummed, never breaking eye contact even if she was struggling to maintain it.

"Like, I could be doing more, and I'm just not doing enough," she finally spoke up.

"Y/N, sugar... You do a lot. You've done a lot. I mean, you practically juggle three different jobs and still manage to have a happy-go-lucky, stress-free outlook on life. How? I've been trying to figure that out for myself all this time because you make it look so easy."

"There's a lot under the surface people don't see," she mumbled.

"Then let me see. I want to see," Bucky blurted, getting her to look up quickly at him. "We've always been open with each other. What's changing that now?" It was a loaded question on his end, but she seemed to be hesitant to answer even if it didn't circle the same thoughts he did.

"I don't know. This may be something I need to figure out myself before I go and try to explain it to someone else.

"Or maybe talking about it will help you figure it out more."

"I don't know..."

"Y/N-"

"Can we not talk about it now? I mean, I do want to talk later, but it's not about tonight," she said with a small, sad pull of her lips, politely trying to avoid the problem.

"Sweetheart-"

"Thor?" she questioned, looking past his shoulder.

"What?" Bucky turned only to see the damn long-haired blonde in dark jeans and a white t-shirt with a flannel and jean jacket on top. "Wait-"

Before he could finish the thought, Y/N rushed over to the man.

He was so close...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.2K 66 13
requested! college au with bucky where bucky is a really popular, charming jock. reader is basically the only one uninterested and he plans to change...
296K 8.9K 33
Weddings where never really your scene, you didn't enjoy socialising with people and small talk made you uncomfortable. But then something happened...
185K 5K 19
{Bucky Barnes X Reader} Bucky Barnes has come a long way since being deprogrammed from Hydra. After some time on his own he finally joined Steve and...
160K 5.6K 55
"A gift." One guard says to someone else in the room as he leaves. I groan in pain and scrunch myself into a ball, squeezing my eyes shut. Seconds l...