The Darkness Within

By Mlana3675

(Book One of the Andra Kingdom Series) Caitirina has a secret destiny...one she could never have imagined. So... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39

Chapter 5

1.3K 19 2
By Mlana3675

Dear Readers, I recently added some photos of the Andra, and of the High Guards House. You can look at them at Photobucket.com my username is Mlana3675. You don't need to make a profile, just type my username in the search bar (make sure to click on the arrow and click on user) You can click on the photo to enlarge it. Hopefully this helps you visualize everything wonderfully! Thanks for reading!

-M

Chapter 5

October 13th

Caitirina~

 I slowly came awake, referents of my dream from the night before came flowing back…I’ll  protect you. The dark, deep voice had told me. I snuggled into the warmth of my bed. I felt the light of the early morning sun shine upon my face, but I wasn’t prepared to meet it just yet, the smell of peat in the fireplace soothing my soul. I was content as a...cat. 

I stiffened. Sun? I didn’t have any windows in my small bedroom, and sure as hell did have a peat-burning fireplace. The events of the previous day came rolling back. Getting kidnapped, worker...Dinner, how the hell had that happened? Lorcan…Lorcan. That had not been a dream. He really had said those things, as he had tucked me into bed.  The embarrassment of last night also came with the memories, of my nuzzling myself against him, and the warmth. No matter, I would not think about it, I had to keep on my toes around Victor. No distractions. A soft knock sounded at the door. I looked to it. “Yes?” I called out attentively. 

Biddy popped her head in. “Madainn Lass. Glad to see ye up, ready for a bath?” 

“Bath? Umm…yes, thank you.” I replied.   

“Come on boys, bring it in.” Biddy called. Two men came into the room carrying a large wooden tub with them. The men turned to her. It was the Norse god, Richard, as she had found out last night, and Calan. 

“There ye go lass. We’ll see you downstairs to break yer fast.” Richard said. He then turned and left the room, Calan close at his heels. He smiled warmly before leaving. 

“The girls should be up in a moment with water for you. How are ye feeling?” Biddy asked.

“Well, thank you. Why am I being brought a bath? It doesn’t seem right for a “worker” to be brought a bath.” Wasn’t there a bathroom?

“Oh, I just thought it would be nice for ye to bathe in here today, till ye familiarize yourself with everything, I know yer not from here. It would also seem there isn’t the appropriate place for a lass to bathe here, with out the prying eyes of a man.” She explained.

“Oh, thank you.” I replied.

“Nonsense lass, you deserve it, after making that meal last night for all those men, I don’t see how you did it. But no need to worry, Narishka let a few lasses and I come over and help you here. With meals and such.” Just then three girls pushed into the room, all carrying buckets of steaming water. 

“I don’t see why we have to do this, why doesn’t she bathe like the rest of us. And why is she here. Why doesn’t she sleep where we do?” A redhead complained. 

“Because there is no room in our quarters, and she will be working here for the men.” Biddy explained.

“I still think it’s unfair.” She replied.

“Haley, leave it be.” Biddy snapped. “Just pour the water and be gone with ye.” The girls complied, pouring the steamy water into the wooden tub, and left the room quickly. I ached to settle into it. Biddy sprinkled something into the water.

“Lavender” She explained. “Alright, into the bath with ye.” I climbed out of the warm bed, my feet hit a plush rug, I curled my toes into it.  

“Alright, A drying cloth is on the trunk there. Come down when you’re ready.” Biddy walked out of the room. Even though this was not something I was at all use to I decided to get into the...where ever the hell I was...spirit. I quickly unlaced the gown, thankfully it was tied in the front, and let it pool and my feet. I tested the water, it was steamy hot, but welcomed. I slowly slid into the tub. Surprisingly the wood was very smooth. I took a moment to look around my room. The same dark wood from the other buildings paneled the walls and ceilings. A darker wood lined the floor. Outside the window the sun was shining and birds were singing, maybe this wasn't such a bad place after all. Maybe.

* * *

Lorcan~

I climbed the stairs to Caitrina’s room. A dark blue dress and black slippers in hand. I didn’t bother to knock, for the lass would still be sleeping. Or so I thought. I stopped at the sight of Caitrina standing in front of the window in nothing but a drying cloth. She didn’t seem to notice me.

“Lass.” I said softly. She didn’t hear me. “Caitirina” I said louder. She whipped around.

“Oh, Lorcan” She gasped. “You startled me.”  

“I’m sorry lass, I thought you’d still be sleeping. I brought ye some clean clothes” I walked towards her and handed her the gown.

“Thank you.” She replied. Reaching for the clothes. I couldn’t help but look at her. She was beautiful. Not skin and bones like some of the lasses here, she had curves. She was gorgeous. The smell of lavender wafted from her, but I could still smell the light scent of lilacs and rain. She self-consciously grasped the cloth tighter. 

“I’m sorry I intruded, please come downstairs to the kitchen and break yer fast when yer ready. There should be a comb in the trunk there.” I turned away from her and left the room.

Caitirina~

I let out a sigh of relief, just being in the same room with him set my blood on fire. The way he’d looked at me. It wasn’t just the sexual side of him, I felt connected to him. Like I knew him already. I shook my head, trying to clear it. I could see a headache in my future, again. I quickly dried off, dressed and walked to the trunk under one of the windows. I lifted the top, different cubbies lined one side of it. A brush in one of them. I grabbed it and went to work on my hair, while peering at the rest of the items in the trunk. Mostly full of linens, it wasn’t very interesting, but the trunk itself was. It was incredibly old, I could tell that, the inside of it was made of a light colored wood. Something was carved into it, I didn’t have time to look closely though. I quickly ran my fingers through my hair, scrunching the curls. Hoping they would tame themselves today. 

I made my way down to the kitchen. Three women were busily hurrying around, Biddy amongst them. 

“Hello lass, care for something to eat?” She asked.

“Yes, please.” I replied. 

“Here, my homemade pastries.” She handed me a round flaky pastry. I took a bite. And moaned.

“This is delicious Biddy, what is it?” I asked.

“Oh just a little of this and a little of that, one day I accidentally made them. I’m glad you like them.” She smiled broadly.

“This is no accident! Gods, I could live on this.” I gushed. She smiled even broader, the girls behind her sneered. What was with the women in this place, what had I done to them?

“Biddy? Did…oh there ye are.” Richard said coming into the kitchen. “Caitirina, if you’re done?” 

“Oh yes, thank you Biddy. This was lovely.” 

“Hello Richard.” One of the girls said seductively, turning towards us. 

Maidenn, Bella. Come now, Caitrina.” Bella puffed at the air, and whipped back around, glaring at me once again. We walked out of the kitchen.

“Richard?” I asked.

“Aye lass?” 

“Why do all the women hate me here?” 

“Why would ye say that?”

“They sneer and glare at me all the time.” I replied.

“Och lass, the girls are just a wee bit jealous.” He stated. 

“Why? Jealous because I’m a worker just like them, or because I was kidnapped and beat.” 

“I am truly sorry, if I had any say, I’d send you right back. But no, that is not why. They’re jealous over the way the men act with you.” He replied.

“What do you mean?” I asked.

“We’re all very nice to the girls, but Lorcan never really smiles, or laughs. Unless he’s around you. And the men, they all seem taken with you because of that.” 

“I…w-what?” I stuttered.

“I’ve known Lorcan for years, and have never seen him like this. I think he cares for ye lass.” He explained.

“I don’t think…”

“I’m not saying anything for sure, I just have a feeling. If ye don’t…do you care for him lass?” He asked abruptly.

“I just met him, I’m mean…he’s very nice, but I hardly now him, I…”

“Aye, aye. What was I thinking? Don’t worry lass, I’m sorry I asked. It’s just he’s been alone for a long time, and things are…difficult, at the moment for him.” We were silent for a few moments.

“I do find him attractive…” I said quietly.

“You do! I knew it! Och, lass. Ye’d be so good for him, ye’d take his mind off of things, couldn’t ye?” He exclaimed. Practically jumping with joy.

“Richard…” 

He sobered up immediately. “Excuse me lass. I didn’t mean to act like that. Ye understand?” He asked.

“Yes…I do. I do find him attractive. And maybe, maybe, in the future I will care for him. But at the moment, no, not in the way you want.. I don’t know him well enough. I’m sorry.” I looked away quickly, feeling guilty for not caring for him. Though in my heart, I knew I could, very easily.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.2M 545K 35
Down-on-her-luck Aubrey gets the job offer of a lifetime, with one catch: her ex-husband is her new boss. *** Aubrey...
190M 4.5M 100
[COMPLETE][EDITING] Ace Hernandez, the Mafia King, known as the Devil. Sofia Diaz, known as an angel. The two are arranged to be married, forced by...
9.9M 499K 199
In the future, everyone who's bitten by a zombie turns into one... until Diane doesn't. Seven days later, she's facing consequences she never imagine...
22.9M 548K 32
"Y-your H-highness? I-i'm sorry b-but t-there m-must b-be a-a m-mistake..." A loud growl sounded through the whole ballroom causing me to start shaki...