The Darkness Within

By Mlana3675

(Book One of the Andra Kingdom Series) Caitirina has a secret destiny...one she could never have imagined. So... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39

Chapter 4

1.4K 22 6
By Mlana3675

Dear Readers, I recently added some photos of the Andra, and of the High Guards House. You can look at them at Photobucket.com my username is Mlana3675. You don't need to make a profile, just type my username in the search bar (make sure to click on the arrow and click on user) You can click on the photo to enlarge it. Hopefully this helps you visualize everything wonderfully! Thanks for reading!

-M

Chapter 4 

October 12th

Lorcan~

I had no idea why I felt so attached to her, but I did. Every time I looked at her I felt we had a past, a future. I shook my head, where the hell had those feelings come from?

I turned around from the to look at her. She sat at the small table against the wall in the kitchen, jaw clenched as she stared at her hands in her lap.

“Do ye want some coffee?” I asked.

“Yes please, that would be lovely. It’s morning?” She asked.

“Aye. After breakfast I’ll bring ye to yer room, then show ye around. Alright?” I turned from the hearth.“Everything alright?”

She looked up. “Umm…I…well…why am I here?” I hated hearing the tremor in her voice.

“I don’t know.” I answered. Turning back to the hearth.

“What’s going to happen to me?” She sounded like she was about to cry. I groaned, and gave a deep sigh before turning around “I don’t know, I’m sorry.”

She gave me a crooked smile “It’s not your fault, you didn’t drag me here.” I looked at her for a long moment, trying to read her emotions, she hid them well.

Caitirina~

He busied around for another minute then turned backed to me. Displaying a steaming cup of coffee and a plate full cheese, bread, and an assorment of fruits, my stomach growled in response. He laughed broadly, I smiled at the sound.

“Eat up. The men will be in here in a while don’t want to be around that. I swear they all eat enough to feed this whole place.”

“The men?” I asked.

“The other head guards.” He replied. “We higher guards eat and sleep here, while the rest of the guards sleep and eat elsewhere.”

"Why are you so seperated from the others?" I asked.

"Narishka likes the others to feel as if they are much lower in ranking then us. In truth we treat them the same as everyone else." He explained to my blank look. “Eat up.“ I hurriedly ate the rest of my food. Nearly moaning at the taste of…mmm…cheese. I heard voices coming down the hallway. I downed the rest of my coffee, wincing when it slightly burned my tounge, and looked to Lorcan. He walked across the room, pushed a set of wooden double doors open revealing a very large dining room, with and equally large table. The kind you’d see in some old castle. Where did they get all this stuff?

“Come on.” He walked back and pulled me to my feet, just as a dozen or so men walked into the kitchen

“Och, what do we have here?”

“Nice, new young lass, huh Lorcan?”

“Aye, and a red head...verra nice Captian."

The rest of the comments were drowned out, as more men spilled into the dining room. Lorcan led me through the kitchen and down the hallway. We came out of the building, the sun had come out and it looked to be a nice day. That still didn’t improve my mood of being here.

“Sorry about them, we don’t get new people here often, especially pretty girls.” I looked down blushing, me pretty. That was a major compliment coming from a man who looked like him, women must fall at his feet.

“I’m sorry I didn’t mean to say that, I mean- I –uh…damn, I’m sorry.” He looked around, not meeting my gaze.

“It’s fine, it’s nice to hear something like that, thanks.” I looked around at my surroundings, the grounds resembled a small town in, well the 17th century. But instead of old wood buildings, they were all made of stone, and very clean. I was thoroughly confused, it looked like we were in some village centuries ago, but then they had guns, showers, and security systems?

“Where are we?” I asked.

“Scotland.” He replied.

“Scotland!” I gasped.

“Aye,” I grabbed his arm, bringing him to a stop. “What?”

“Scotland…We’re really in Scotland?”

“Aye, I know this must be confusing and hard for ye, I’m sorry ye were brought here, I—” He stopped talking once he saw the smile that had broke across my face, Scotland, I was really here. “Lass?”

“Yes…” I sighed dreamily. Scotland…

“What are ye smiling about?” He asekd. I suddenly couldn’t keep the excitement in me any longer.

“Scotland! OH MY GOSH! You have no idea how long I’ve wanted to come here. I’ve been saving and saving but every time I had enough money or time to go something came up, and I couldn‘t. Oh I’ve been dreaming of this day! I planned for years what I would do, museums, castles, oh castles, the pubs, the food, the people! This is great!” He suddenly grabbed me by the arms. I met his eyes. His head started to descend upon mine, but suddenly stopped.

“Calm yer self lass, yer causing a scene.” His burr was much more rough then it had been a moment before, I liked it… I looked around, I hadn’t realized there were people around before. Now I saw that there was what looked like workers all around us. Some oh so subtly looked are way, gazing at me as if I were crazy. Come on it was Scotland. Wait, workers, me, Scotland. Shit. My love for this wonderful place had made me forget the horrid way I had come to be here.

“Oh, I’m sorry, I forgot…” I looked down at my feet.

“Tis’ fine lass, I understand. So ye are fond of Scotland then?” A big smile broke out across his face.

“Yes, I have been since I was a child. I’ve wanted to come so badly, for so long.” I sighed heavily.

“I’m sorry ye had to come here under such conditions.”

“Yes…” I said sadly.

Lorcan~

I was sorry, when the love of my land had left her lips, I had lost myself in her words. She seemed as if she loved it just as much as me. I had almost kissed her then, but had caught myself. I had never fallen for anyone here, no one. aye there had been pretty lasses, but they had never stirred these emotions from me. What was different about her?

Caitirina~

“Why does everything look so, well, old here?” I asked. I had to know.

“Old?” He asked.

“Well yes, the buildings, the people, clothes, and the way you talk. Your accent is old world. But then there are the weapons, the electronics, the books. I mean what is this place?”

“It’s very hard to explain.” He said, and started walking.

“What day is it?”

He was startled by the change in conversation.

“October 12th”

“Ok…” I had left my apartment early on the 11th. Speaking of dates…”What year is it?” He stiffened. What did that mean.

“Lorcan!” A blond bombshell came running up to us. Not bothering to hide the lust filled smile she directed towards Lorcan. “How are—“ She breathed in deeply and looked at me. “She smells like you, why?” She asked furiously

“I don’t have to explain myself to ye, Mallory” He spat her name, definitely not together, at least now.

“You would stoop so low, that you would sleep with the slaves?” She shuddered. “Really Lorcan, you could have much better.” She looked me up and down. “Much better…”

“They are not slaves, and ye are one of them, just because ye’re Narishkas pet doesn’t make ye any better.” He turned away from her, grabbing my arm and taking me with him. “And Mallory? ye will never share my bed. Ever.” With that he stalked away from her, I looked back to see her glaring at me.

“Bitch.” She whispered.

“Fuck you” I shot back.

“Come on, Caitrina.” Lorcan replied. I followed him.

We walked around for some time, him pointing out various places that I would need to know. My mind kept flashing back to that blond, Mallory. For some reason I felt, jealous. But why? I barely knew this man, yes he was attractive, very attractive. But still, I didn’t know him, didn’t know what he was capable of, or even what he was. But I had to know.

Lorcan had been talking for quiet some time, we walked side by side down the cobblestone and dirt roads, it felt very “old world”. He seemed to thrive on all the history, one thing would lead to another and he would tell me of some adventure he his cousin, Lucian, and their childhood friend Drustan embarked on. At one time he had mentioned a “Roderick, or Rory”, but had quickly moved on, and after that his stories seemed edited, like he had cut someone out. Who was this Roderick?

We walked silently now, just milling about. A group of girls and older women sat outside a building, sewing tears in plaids. They all looked at Lorcan under their eyelashes, all smiling seductively, then they saw me. The older women sat up, looking surprised, while the younger ones glared. It reminded me of Mallory. With out thinking I blurted,

“Who is Mallory?” He started as if he had been off somewhere.

“She is a maid of Madame Draycott’s, she thinks highly of herself because of that. Most do not envy her, but some wish that Narishka could pay such attention to them, she is Narishkas pet. And a... whore.” I blushed at that, the word spat out so harshly, I had to cover my laugh. He must have taken it the wrong way for he stopped. “I’m sorry, I did not mean to speak like that, it’s just well…I dislike her.”

“I figured. So you and her, aren’t…together?” I asked non-chalant. 

“Gods no…” He shuddered.

“Good that’s…good.”

“Why is it so good?” he asked.

“I umm…well…it’d just, well not be good for someone like you, or uh…she just doesn’t seem like the type for someone like you to be with.

“And what type would she be?” He asked.

I looked straight ahead. “Bitch” That pretty much summed it up.

“That’s about it.” He laughed. How could a laugh be that sexy? Gods did he have to so gorgeous, so…Scottish.

“What did you mean by maid?”

“She doesn’t do to much physical work. She just gossips and finds information for Narishka.” He replied.

“Oh. Oh. Could you get in trouble for showing me around? Really if you could, just go on with your duties, I can find my way around.”

“Don’t worry, I won’t. She won’t tell Narishka. Not if it involves her own embarrassment.” He replied.

“Oh ok then, but if you’re busy. I can handle this.”

“No tis’ fine. I don’t need to be anywhere else, but here.” He replied. He looked at me again with those eyes. Gods.

“Lorcan! Where the bloody hell have ye been? Ye were supposed to be at the barracks half an hour ago.” Esbjorn yelled, running up to us. “Oh, Caitrina. I’m sorry. I dinna mean to interrupt.”

“Damn, I forgot. Caitrina. The ladies we passed before? Go to them and ask for Biddy, she will tell ye what to do.”

“It can wait if ye’d like to finish up?” Esbjorn said.

“No, it’s fine. Go. Thank you for showing me around Lorcan. It was nice seeing you again Esbjorn.” I started to step backwards.

“Ye too, Caitrina.” Esbjorn replied.

"Dia leat" Lorcan said.

“Good bye” I replied with a smile.

* * *

Lorcan~

“Ye forgot. Ye’ve never forgotten anything. What’s going on with ye, ever since that girl came ye’ve been very distracted. What’s going on?” Esbjorn asked.

“I don’t know. I feel connected to her somehow. And Roderick, he felt something for her. I don’t know what it is, but I just feel like we’re connected together. Hell, I’ve never felt this way before. I’m always in control, but with her, I get lost in her eyes, her hair, her...” I looked away, what the hell was wrong with me? I never acted like this, never expressed my feelings like this.

“Damn man, that’s deep. What do ye mean about Roderick?”

“I don’t know, he kept asking for her. He said he needed her.”

“Hmm…what about ye? Do ye need her?” Esbjorn asked.

“I think I do.” Lorcan replied.

* * *

Caitirina~

I walked up to the group of women, a girl noticed me and nudged the girl next to her. They both glared at me.

“Umm…Biddy?” I asked.

“Aye dearie?” An elderly lady in the middle of the group called. Looking up from her sewing.

“Lorcan told me to find you, said you would tell me what to do.” All the girls were looking at me now, they seemed to sneer even more when I mentioned Lorcan, Gods was every woman in love with him

“Oh aye.” She replied. Standing up. “Girls, stop.” She walked towards me, linked arms with me and started to walk away form the group. “Don’t mind them, they’re all just in love with Lorcan. And he seems very taken with ye.”

“Oh I don’t think—“

“Lass, Lorcan is always prepared, always on time. But just today he forgot about training. He laughed, he never laughs anymore. It’s definitely something he feels for ye lass.” She smiled brightly. “ I’m just happy he’s happy, he hasn’t smiled like that in a long time.”

“Why’s that?” I asked without thinking, I seemed to be doing that a lot lately.

“Well, it’s not my place to say…but tis’ over his brother, Roderick.” She looked away. “I’m sorry lass, but I must say no more.”

“I understand. I’m sorry I asked.” She turned to me, placing her hand on my shoulder. When she did so, her eyes widened.

“Don’t be lass, it’s natural for ye wonder.” She smiled very brightly.

“Natural?” I asked. And what was that smile about?

“In time lass, ye shall see.” She replied, nodding her head as if certain of it. “Come along now, to the dining hall we go.”

I quickly learned a few things about Andra. For one, there was no pay, just the privilege of living within the walls. Privilege, That was stretching it a bit. Narishka didn’t want any socialization between the guards and workers. Only when orders were being given out. What the hell is wrong with this place?

Most didn’t look like they cared. They looked like a normal town, with happy people. It all looked pretty normal, if you were in 17th century Scotland. I still really needed to figure that one out.

But for now, I was stuck cleaning the kitchen. The Guards kitchen, there was only a small amount of guards that lived in this building. The higher ranking ones, like Lorcan and Esbjorn, 1st and 2nd in command. Narishka didn’t show herself much, so they pretty much ran things. What was with all the guards? This place gave me a major headache.

“Lass.” I heard a deep voice rumble behind me. My head shot up, slamming into the cabinet I had been cleaning.

“Ow, yes.” I said turning around. Lorcan. “Yes, sir?” I corrected myself. Biddy had stressed I address all higher ranks politely.

He chuckled. “Sir…I see Biddy told ye a few things.”

“Yes, sir.” I replied.

“Stop. Please. Biddy just has to say that. Like I said before, most of us are very nice. Only a few of us actually make all of ye call us by, sir.” He said with that gorgeous smile. I suddenly realized I hadn’t seen him smile, or show any emotion when he and Esbjorn had come to me that morning. What had changed? Was it me? My headache was getting worse.

“Alright, Lorcan.” I smiled. “What’s up?”

He chuckled lightly. “I was seeing if ye needed help with preparing dinner.”

“Dinner?”

“Aye, didn’t Biddy—“ I shook my head. “Oh, well…hmm.”

“But I can.” I quickly said. “What do we have? No never mind, how many people?”

“13” he replied.

“Alright, I’ll see what I can do.”

“Good. If ye need any help, just pop into to the dining hall and get one of us. I’m sorry ye don’t have any help tonight, but they are preparing for the festival.” He smiled at that.

“Oh that’s fine, festival?” I asked.

“Aye, ally clans of ours come and compete in games, and such. Then there is the eating, and the drinking, and more eating. We Scots like our food.”

“Sounds fun. I can see you are looking forward to it.” I replied.

“It is, and I am. But don’t tell the boys that, they don’t think I enjoy anything.”

“Don’t worry, your secret is safe with me, now scoot so I can make your dinner.” I playfully pushed him out of the room. I really did like this man, not in a sexual way, well I did like him in a sexual way. But in the friendly way also, hopefully we could be, kind of. I was a worker after all.

“Alright lass.” He replied, and walked out of the room. I started hearing deep vibrations of voices in the next room, the men were arriving.

“Food…food…food.” All right, I could do this. 13 men. Big men. Men eat lots of food. 13…my lucky number. Hmm…meat…right?

I looked around the kitchen. A hinged door sat in the middle of the floor, I walked to it and opened it. A small set of steps led to a large cellar. I climbed down, barrels upon barrels and other storage containers were everywhere. A pantry? I walked to one of the barrels and opened the top. Grain filled it, another, rice. Definately food. But how was I suppose to cook it? All there was, was a hearth. I had no clue how to make a whole meal with that. I turned around intending to go up and get help from Lorcan. Suddenly a woman appeared.

"Freya?" The woman who had been there when I woke up in the hosptial.

"Aye, what are ye doing lass?" 

"Trying to make a meal for 13 grown men." I sighed, "Anyway you could help me?"

"Well, I believe the men will regard you with a lot of respect if you were to do it yourself..."

"But i have no clue what to do!" I almost screeched, why couldn't I just go home!

She stepped foward..."I think I could help with that" Her hand raised up to rest on my forehead and then my world went black. 

***

What felt like a moment later I opened my eyes, Freya stood in front of me. She thrusted a plater into my hand.

"Go on lass, you spent all yer time on this lovely meal now serve it to the men."

"I...what?" What just happened? I made this...my mind was very foggy. So I didn't notice when Freya started to push me into the dining hall. 

The mens chatter died as I stumbled in.

“Uhh...Foods done…” I replied to their stares.

“Very good lass, the smell has been driving me crazy, I thought Calan was going to eat me alive.” I tall, broad man stood up, walking towards me. He had a head full of long blond hair, and bright blue eyes, he was beautiful. A Norse God. “Need help with that lass?” He asked. Grabbing the platter from my hand.

“Yes, thank you.” I replied.

"We'll grab the rest." One of the men said, a few got up and headed into the kitchen grabbing the remaining platters and ptichers. I looked over the platters. Assortments of differerent meats, cheeses, fruits and vegatables filled them. I had made this? Wait...no. I...what? 

"Umm...thank you."

“No, thank ye lass.” Mostly all the men replied.

The men all stood by their chairs all looking towards her. Except one man. I couldn’t make out his features, for he was seated in the shadows on the opposite end of the table.

“What the bloody hell are you waiting for? We’ve been waiting for well over and hour for this meal to be done.” The man sneered. The voice was unmistakable, Victor.

“We’re waiting for the lass to take a seat at our table, for it is also her meal.” The Norse god from before replied.

“Nonsense! She is but a worker! She has no right. I will not allow her to eat with us. Be gone with you.” I started to turn away.

“Nay! Lass, stay where ye are.” Lorcan roared. “She is not a simple worker. She is a girl that ye took from a woods, a girl that ye stole. ye took her from her life and placed her here, without telling me or anyone for that matter, why she is here. She doesn’t understand any of it, but still she stands here. She made this meal for us, she workers with out complaint. And for what reason? None. She has no reason too. From what ye said, I expected her to whine and complain, try to escape, but she has done no such thing. So ye, Narishka, and yer little minions will leave her the hell alone!” He stood there breathing heavily, boring his eyes into Victors. But why stand up for me?

“Fine, you want to make something of this, so be it. I will leave.” He threw back the chair. “But just remember what Narishka holds over you, and whom she holds.” With that he stormed from the room.

Lorcan turned to me. “I’m sorry for yer discomfort lass. Please come and join us.”

“I think it would be better if I took my meal in the kitchen.” I looked at all of them. “For now. Thank you though for asking, I really appreciate the way you’re treating me, but I think it would be best for me to dine away from you.” I quickly made my way from the room.

Lorcan~

I sat down heavily in my chair. What had the men and I caused? Narishka would be more than likely to now have eyes on Caitrina. The men had been in awe of the fact that the lass was slaving away in a kitchen making a meal all by herself. They had just thought to be kind to the girl. Victor had sat in the shadows, not saying a word, just observing. It seemed he had wanted to cause a scene. What did they want with the lass? I intended to find out, and soon, for I did not like the way Victor had stared at the lass.

The men seemed to have read my mind. For they all shared the same thoughts.

“I didn’t much care for the way he looked at the lass.” Calan said slowly, pondering the meaning just as he had. “What do ye think they want with her?”

“Maybe she’s a toy for Victor, he seems to go through them fast enough. Maybe Narishka decided to import a stronger woman, someone who could stand his abuse.”

“Richard!” I snapped.

“What? It’s just a thought.” Richard defended.

“A bad one at that, but could be true none the less. But why would she make Caitirina a worker? If that’s what she wanted then she would have just given her to him in the first place.” Esbjorn replied easily. His face emotionless, but for the lines of frustration around his mouth.

“Aye, it would be best to listen around, find out where Victor is at all time, don’t let him near her. Who knows when they may grab her, if that’s what they intend.” Richard contributed. The other men nodded their heads in agreement.

“I’m just glad he doesn’t reside here, any longer.” Calan replied.

“Aye. We will all protect her, agreed? Keep her in this building as much as possible, and if necessary to venture out, one must always be watching out for her.” I ordered the men. “Now, lets not let this wonderful meal go to waste.”

“Should we not ask her to eat with us then?” Calan asked.

“Nay, let her be for now. She probably has a lot on her mind.” I replied, I would check in on her later. 

* * *

Caitirina~

 I sat at the small table, picking at my food. I had stopped listening after the men had talked about me being Victors “toy”, and was pondering it all very slowly. Had I been brought here for the purpose to please Victor? If so, why me? Was it random? Wrong place, wrong time to be running through the woods? So many things running through my head, I could barely think, much less eat.

Exhaustion slowly set in, making my eyes droop. I pushed my plate aside, I would just close my eyes for a moment. That’s all. Just rest my ey—

* * *

Lorcan~

The men had finished eating and now sat sitting around the table sipping their ale and conversing.I decided to check on the lass, she must be exhausted by now. I must show her to her room, the men could deal with the dishes. I pushed open the door and strode in, the sight stopping me in my tracks. Caitrina, asleep. Her mass of curls strewn all around her head. I couldn’t see her face, but knew she looked like an angel, she did when she was awake. I slowly approached her, not wanting to wake her. I pushed her hair aside, her dark lashes laid upon her olive toned skin. Her lips pursed, I could barely stop himself from bending his head and sampling the sweet taste of her lips, but I must. Gods, I knew she would taste wonderfully sweet. I couldn’t let her sleep on this hard surface, I wrapped my arm around her shoulders, and tucked an arm under legs. I easily picked her up, the smell of lilacs and rain filled my senses. I couldn’t help myself, I bent my head to the dark curls, inhaling the wonderful smell. My knees nearly gave out, a rush of desire flowed through me, no woman had ever done this to me. None.

Caitirina~

I slowly awoke to the feel of strong, warm arms wrapped around me. Without thought I snuggled into the warmth, I buried her face in it. The masculine smell of…Lorcan filled my senses. For some reason that realization made me burrow deeper into the warmth.

“What are you doing?” I asked drowsily.

“Taking ye to yer room.” He replied softly. His deep voice vibrating my cheek where it nestled on his chest.

“But I must clear the table.” I murmured. So tired...so warm.

“The men will take care of it, donna worry.” He climbed the stairs to the second floor, carrying me down the corridor to a room. Must be mine. He pushed the door open with his foot, and carefully placed me on one side of the bed, as he pulled the blankets down on the other half. He then placed me there, covering me with the heavy blankets. “Sleep lass.” He started to turn away. But my hand encircling his wrist stopped him.

“Lorcan? Do you really think that is why I’m here?” I asked softly.

Lorcan~

“Donna worry lass, we’ll…I’ll protect ye. No need to fret, just sleep lass.” I placed her hand back underneath the covers, and slowly bent to place a chaste kiss upon her forehead. I had to force myself to turn away from her, for fear of doing more than that. The lass made the feral side of me come out. I didn’t know why, but intended to find out.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.2M 545K 35
Down-on-her-luck Aubrey gets the job offer of a lifetime, with one catch: her ex-husband is her new boss. *** Aubrey...
4M 195K 101
βœ… "We always long for the forbidden things." 𝐝𝐲𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐩𝐒𝐚𝐧 𝐧𝐨𝐯𝐞π₯ β†― βš”οΈŽ ʙᴏᴏᴋ ᴏɴᴇ α΄€Ι΄α΄… ᴛᴑᴏ ᴄᴏᴍʙΙͺɴᴇᴅ βš”οΈŽ ...
7.1M 366K 92
If dish soap, rutabagas, and firecrackers aren't an essential part of your zombie apocalypse kit, you better grab them now! Season 1 of The Virus Wit...
28.8M 914K 49
[BOOK ONE] [Completed] [Voted #1 Best Action Story in the 2019 Fiction Awards] Liam Luciano is one of the most feared men in all the world. At the yo...