Motorbike

By ItIsMeLia

I'd seen that face a million times. She was not merely seeing, she was observing. She was questioning me, int... More

Chapter 1: Introduction
Chapter 2: Christmas
Chapter 3: Aunt Josephine
Chapter 4: Karma
Chapter 5: The World At Your Feet
Chapter 6: A Burnt Ear and a Plan
Chapter 7: Spin The Bottle
Chapter 8: Rachel Lynde, Per Usual
Chapter 9: No Cure
Chapter 10: Easter Surprise
Chapter 11: The Funeral
Chapter 12: The Suitors, Cause and Effect
Chapter 13: Take Notice
Chapter 14: Dance Practice
Chapter 15: Trousers
Chapter 17: The Barn Dance
Chapter 18: What Is Fair
Chapter 19: She Has a Plan
Chapter 20: The Action
Chapter 21: No Printing Press Metal
Chapter 22: The Burn of Liquor
Chapter 23: Misunderstandings
Chapter 24: It's Always Been You
Chapter 25: College
Chapter 26: Visitor in the Parlor
Chapter 27: Anne Knows
Chapter 28: Trains <3

Chapter 16: The County Fair

347 14 14
By ItIsMeLia

(A/N: Ok so, I know nobody reads this story, but this chapter is basically the inspiration for this fanfic. Like every time I watch episode 6 I just lose my mind because Miss Stacy is so fine when she shoots all the glass bottles. But anyways, that's all, enjoy!)

"So Miss Stacy just gave you her pants then?" Gil said, smiling. I rolled my eyes.

"They didn't fit her anymore. I'll wear them sometime. You'll see," I said, and he chuckled, fixing his shirt and vest.

"Do I look ok? I'm nervous," he said, sighing and putting his hat on.

"You look handsome, Gil. Winifred's parents are going to love you," I said, looking through my closet for a dress to wear.

I smiled, shooing Gil out and changing into it, fixing my hair up, and grabbing a hat with a green ribbon. I pulled up my stockings, laced my boots, and brushed off the dress.

I hoped Miss Stacy would like it.

Was I crazy?

Yes.

But crazy and in love are two similar things, separated by a fine line.

I got downstairs, and the four of us, Gilbert, Bash, Delphine, and me, headed out.

The fair was beautiful, and I was shocked by the hot air balloon. To think our umbilical cord would be severed from Mother Earth felt unthinkable in truth.

We had learned to fly.

There was music, games, food, contests, attractions like the tunnel of love.

It was all so interesting.

"Ah, there she is," Gil said.

I turned, and our two families met, shaking hands, making introductions.

"It is so nice to finally meet the sister Gilbert loves to talk about so very much," Winifred said, and he and I smiled at each other.

"Very nice to finally meet the lady who makes him start singing and blushing every weekend," I said, and she giggled, smiling at him.

We all walked together for a bit, and eventually I got bored, so I respectfully excused myself and went to explore.

I smiled, watching Billy Andrews fail to hit the bell at the top of the game.

I felt a hand tap my shoulder.

"Jerry? How are you?" I asked, smiling and hugging him.

"(Y/N). I'm well, how are you?" He asked sheepishly.

"I'm good, Jerry. I'm so sorry I haven't visited you more. I try and go whenever Gilbert wants to visit Anne," I said, and we both laughed.

"It's alright. I finished the book, by the way," he said. I smiled.

We both turned back to see Billy groan and call the game rigged. I smiled.

"Can I try?" Jerry asked.

He stepped up, swinging the club and making the bell ding first try. He smiled, and I giggled as he handed me a small toy dog.

"For you," he said, kissing my hand.

"Merci, it's beautiful," I said with a smile.

"(Y/N), I know I can't offer you much, and I know you don't love me, but you are such an amazing girl," he said.

I looked at him with sympathy.

"It's not your fault, Jerry. There's no other boys. I'm just- not ready for that yet," I said, wishing I didn't have to lie that way. He nodded.

"Whenever you are ready to court and marry, (Y/N), I hope you'll find me. I promise to love you and care for you, forever, mon chérie."

I took my hands in his. I cared for him, but I wish I could've explained that it wasn't him, it was that I didn't feel that way about men at all.

I hugged him, and he smiled, holding me.

"I'm so sorry, Jerry," I said.

"No no, don't be. I'm perfectly happy as your friend," he said, and I smiled, kissing his cheek.

"I'm going to go try some of the games. I will see you around, oui?" I asked. He nodded, and we saw each other off.

I felt bad.

Perhaps in another life, my sweet Jerry.

—————

I wandered through everything, smiling as I watched Thomas Lynde fail at ring toss.

I was scared by the sound of a gun.

I smiled to myself. There she was.

I moved past Rachel Lynde, who was currently talking to some other old women about Miss Stacy. Rachel Lynde seemed to enjoy talking about her almost as much as I did.

I watched Miss Stacy's figure, her arms and her hands as she fired the gun, hitting every single glass bottle. I felt my heart skip beats. There was something so insanely attractive about it. I smiled at the upset look on every mans face who'd seen this occurrence. They'd all been shown up by a woman.

She smiled, handing the gun to the man who ran the booth and turning.

She smiled at me.

"Where'd you learn how to do that?" I asked, and she giggled, motioning for me to follow so we could go somewhere less crowded and sit down.

We eventually found a bench in a less busy spot.

"I was taught by my father, but Jonah and I used to practice a lot together. Though, if I have my pick of hunting I prefer fishing," she said, and I grinned.

"You look nice," I said, observing the vest she'd put on.

"Thank you. You look lovely, though part of me had hoped you might wear the pants," she said.

"And give Rachel Lynde something else to talk about? Certainly not. I can hear it already 'Miss Stacy is even influencing her own girls to wear pants! Soon there won't be a woman left in this town!" I mocked, and she giggled, snorting slightly. I looked over, raising an eyebrow as I grinned.

"Oh I'm sorry but you're absolutely right, you just do a good impression," she said, laughing again.

"I haven't heard you laugh like this since the day that Rachel Lynde made those awkward comparisons in the barn," I said, and she laughed even more.

I felt my heart flutter. Her laugh brought me so much joy, and I cherished every moment of it.

"Rachel Lynde is certainly a character," she said.

We both went quiet for a moment, looking at each other. Should I kiss her? My heart was going so fast I thought it might explode.

She looked away, and I nearly sighed out in relief. If she actually had kissed me, I don't think I could've handled it.

"It's a beautiful day," she said, smiling.

"It is. The county fair is always lovely, though personally I'm a bit more excited for the barn dance," I said, and she looked over.

"Well, you're certainly a good partner for dancing," she said.

"Muriel-" I paused, gasping and looking over, wide eyed.

"I'm so sorry It just slipped and I-"

"No no, it's alright. You'll be graduating and attending college soon, anyways. You may call me Muriel outside of class," she said, taking my hand in hers. I blushed, looking down and nodding.

"Could we- could we dance together tonight? I just think you're also a splendid dancer," I said, stuttering and trying not to make a fool of myself.

"I'd love to. Not that we could do that inside the barn, though. You know how this town is. But I'm sure the music will be loud enough outside, and we can dance in private," she said. I smiled, nodding.

"Look, someone is in the hot air balloon," she said, pointing. I looked up.

"It can fly. How magnificent. Man floats upon a limitless plane of air," I muttered to myself, watching.

"Now, I'm hungry. Ice cream?" She asked, standing and offering her arm.

I nodded, getting up and smiling as I held it. Of course, we detached when people came into sight, but for that small while, it felt like she was my husband, and I was her wife.

—————

"Bash? Gil? Funny running into all of you," I said as we approached the ice cream stand.

"Who's this?" Winifred asked.

"Miss Stacy, the school teacher," she said, reaching out to shake all of their hands.

"Pleasure to see you, Miss Stacy," Bash said, only tipping his hat because he was carrying Delphine. She smiled.

We ate the ice cream, and I smiled at her.

"Did you know, among the recipes Thomas Jefferson brought back from France, ice cream was among them, and he popularized it in North America when he served it at presidential dinners," I said, and she smiled at me.

"It's nice to know all that time you spent off task was actually crediting you," she teased. I laughed, and we continued to eat the cold ball of milk and sugar.

Once we were done, we continued looking for other games to try.

She tried out the one Jerry had played earlier.

I laughed as Billy Andrews walked by, seeing her hit the bell. It was satisfying.

"Are you just inherently good at everything?" I questioned as we walked away. She laughed.

"Everything aside being a proper lady," she joked. We both laughed, and I smiled to myself for a moment.

She was such a perfect, lovely woman. I didn't think I could love her anymore than I

already did. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.5M 89.9K 51
Highest rank #27 in Teen Fiction. Written by @apricitys. _ _ _ "What is this?" He asked, not even bothering to look at the canvas in front of me. Ins...
355K 9.1K 18
"You need to live a little Jessie" My best friend said as she searched through our closet for an outfit to wear for our Girls Night Out trip, that I...
22.7K 776 47
Gilbert and Anne had known each other for years, but the redhead had never been able to forgive him for calling her Carrots. However, after an incide...
179 17 10
"I Thought this would be a memorable day, having gathered confidence and courage to give this day my all, I scoff at how ironic I visualise this day...