Dreams Change

By AbbyBrenton05

"You love her don't you?" Cassandra Higgins is a spirited Newsie in the year 1899. Forced to fight a battle t... More

Dreams Change
Characters
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Epilogue
Final Author's Note

Chapter 8

408 17 69
By AbbyBrenton05

It hadn't been long before both Davey and Jack met me at the Bridge.

"Calm down, calm down," I heard Davey muttering to himself as we walked through Brooklyn's turf. 

"I am calm," Jack replied. 

"I was talking to myself," Davey stated. I laughed before patting his shoulder. 

"Keep your mouth shut and Spot probably won't even notice you're here." Jack sent me a look. We both knew that wasn't true, but the poor guy was shaking. 

"Hey!" A loud voice called out behind us. "What'd think yous doing here?" I turned to see two Brooklyn Newsies, slingshots at the ready. I didn't recognize either of them. (Most of the Brooklyn Newsies I'll be making up.)

"Flame, Rascal, funny seeing yous here," Jack said. Both boys glared at Jack.

"Kelly," the tallest of the two spat. "What're you and your bloody Newsies doing in Brooklyn? Thought Spot told ya to keep your rats out of our turf." 

"Wes here ta talk to Spot. Seen him around?"

"Sure wes seen him. Why'd ya need to talk to him?"

"That, my dear friend, is between us and Spot."

"While you ain't getting no meeting with him until wes here what its about." Jack opened his mouth to reply, but I cut him off.

"Before anyone has a cow, we need to talk to him about the strike. I assume yous know about it." The two boys exchanged a look.

"Who's the girl, Kelly?" Jack glared at the one who had spoken, the tall one. 

"Don't play dumb, Flame. Yous know exactly who she is." 

"Ah, so she's Racetrack's sista. Picture'd her ta be more pretty, but what can you expect?" The guy shrugged. I gritted my teeth, attempting to gain control of the words I wanted to spew at the boys. 

"What?" Jack spat. I laid a hand on his arm. 

"Jack, we can't be fighting with them, whatever they may say. We need them on our side if we're gonna win the strike," I whispered to him.

"Fine," he replied, though he looked still looked thunderous. "But as soon as the strike's over, I'm soakin' him."

"As long as you let me help." A playful glimmer lit up his eyes.

"Now that yous know why we need ta talk to Spot, will you tell us where he is?" Jack asked the boys. 

"Right here," another voice said stepping into view. Spot Conlon, King of Brooklyn. Followed by about ten Brooklyn Newsies. No one was lying when they said that the Brooklyn boys were big. "So, a strike, ey Jack? Ya really think you can beat Pulitzer?"

"If we didn't we wouldn't be striking," I replied. Spot turned to me.

"Well if it ain't Caz. Pleasure seeing you here." I glared at him.

"Wish I could say the same." 'Use your brain, nothing else.' Albert's words echoed in my head. I sighed. "We need your help."

"And what makes you think Brooklyn is going to help you?" Flame asked. 

"Because if we don't stand with each other, all of us will fall. Including Brooklyn," I replied.

"Are you telling me that Manhattan dragged all the Newsies into this mess and now you want us to pay for it?"

"Are you telling me that you're willing to give Pulitzer exactly what he wants? We made a decision to stand up for what we believe in. We didn't drag anyone into anything unless they wanted it. And now we're asking for your help, not because we want it, but because we need it. As much as it pains me to say, we can't win this battle without you." I paused for a moment. "Please, join the strike and help us show Pulitzer that we won't be bullied because don't think that this is the last time he'll do something like this. We have to show him now that we aren't willing to let him push us around like we're nothing, and that we will fight for our rights. If we don't, then we lose every part of who we are." It was quiet as the boys around me took in my words. "Are you willing to risk that?"

"How do we know that you won't fold at the first sign of trouble?" Spot finally asked. I met his stare, a challenge in my eyes.

"Do you really think we would?" He looked at me for a full moment before breaking eye contact. 

"Give us proof and we'll be with you. Until then, you're on your own."

"Seriously? You know the 'Hattan Newsies, do you really believe that we would run? We are passionate, and willing to stand for what we believe in. You honestly think we'd fold if things got tough?"

"You're right, I know the 'Hattan Newsies. Meaning that I know how foolhardy you are. I have to look out for my Newsies as well, Caz. I'm not going to send them into a battle if you are just going to up and flee. Give me proof that you'll stay." He turned to his Newsies. "See them back to the Bridge. Oh and Jack, you should really have this kid writing your speeches. She was quite convincing." With that, he left us to the charge of Flame and Rascal. 

"That was amazing," Davey said as we walked toward the Lodge. "How did you come up with half that stuff?"

"It was kind of an 'on the spot' type of thing." I gave a shrug. "Clearly wasn't enough though."

"Can't believe he wanted proof," Jack muttered.

"Think about it Jack, would you send our Newsies into the middle of a fight without knowing if our allies were going to take off and flee the moment there was trouble? He's just trying to keep those boys safe."

"Who knew Spot Conlon actually had a heart," Jack said. I laughed. We arrived at the Lodge and Davey turned to us. 

"I should be heading home."

"See you tomorrow Davey," I said. "Say hi to Les for me." Davey smiled, knowing how much of a liking I had taken to his younger brother.

"Bye Dave," Jack echoed. When we got inside, we saw that only half the Newsies were back. My brother wasn't among them. 

"I'm going to da roof," Jack said to me. I waved to him and made my way around the boys, avoiding all of their questioning looks. When I got to my room (the boys had given me my own room a few years back) I collapsed onto my bed, buried my face in my pillow and let out a loud groan. 

"Rough day?" A voice asked. My head shot up to meet the gaze of my brother. 

"It could have been betta. You?"

"I discovered that I'm an idiot." I rolled my eyes. 

"You ain't a idiot. Most of the time," I added. He gave a half-hearted laugh. I sat up and patted my bed. "We should talk." He nodded and took a seat beside me.

"Listen, Cassy, what I said earlier. It was rude and uncalled for and completely untrue. I do trust you I just..." He paused, as if trying to find the perfect words. "I was scared."

"That's what Jojo said."

"You're all the family I have left. I can't lose you."

"Race, you're not gonna lose me."

"But you can't promise that." I turned to face him. His blue eyes were swimming with tears and that's when I understood the gravity of the situation. Race never cried. 

"That day I was taken," he began, "watching you standing there, screaming for me... That was one of the worst things I've had to endure. I had no clue what was gonna happen to you. None. I'm so lucky Alby found you, but so many things could have gone wrong. You can never promise that I won't lose you."

"You're right," I whispered. "But I can promise you that I will never leave willingly." My voice cracked as I though about our past. 

"You promise?"

"I promise." He pulled me into a hug, taking in a shuddering breath. 

"I love you Cassandra."

"I love you Ani. You and your over-protective antics." He gave a teary laugh before pulling back and rubbing his eyes. He slipped his cigar in his mouth and smiled at me.

"We good?"

"Never better."

"So how did Brooklyn go?" I groaned and shoved my face into my pillow. "That good, huh?"

"It could have been worse. What about Midtown?" A faint blush spread across his cheeks and he glanced down at his hands.

"Said they'd be with us if we got Brooklyn."

"Ani, why're ya blushing?"

"I ain't blushing!" He cried. I gave him a knowing look, and he stuck his tongue out. "I'm not."

"Yeah, and I don't like Alby." I threw my hands over my mouth, eyes wide at what I had just said. Race's eyes grew huge as he smirked at me. 

"I knew it."

"Can we just pretend that I neva said that?" Why did I even say that to him. I hadn't even admitted it to myself yet. "Wait, knew what?"

"That sooner or later you'd fall hopelessly in love with him."

"I don't love him. I'm not even entirely sure I like him."

"Then why'd ya say-"

"I don't know, okay!" I yelled, covering my hands with my face. "I- it's all so confusing." 

"Well, just give me the word and I'll set up a romantic picnic for the two of you."

"Ew, you know I hate picnics." He laughed. "Can we just go to bed and pretend like nothing happened?"

"No can do sista. If it makes you feel any better, I won't tell him. Yet."

"Yet?"

"I need some sort a leverage against you." I groaned.

"I'm going to bed," I said, pushing him to his feet. 

"G'night Cassy."

"Night."

That day is finally over!! I feel like there's so much that happens in each day! Couple of things to note: I know that Les came with them to Brooklyn, but I kinda forgot about that until I had half the chapter written and I didn't feel like going bad and rewriting it cause I'm that lazy ahaha. Also, Davey had like no lines in the whole Brooklyn scene so sorry if that felt really dumb, but I didn't know what to write for him. What do you guys think of the story so far? I hope y'all are enjoying it and that it isn't as crappy as I think it is. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.2K 165 40
"I never forgot you." "Neither did I." Friend. Many people spend their entire lives searching for that. A friend. Someone to share their life to...
54.7K 636 45
"𝚈𝚘𝚞 𝚕𝚘𝚘𝚔~" "𝙲𝚘𝚖𝚎 𝚘𝚗 𝚂𝚙𝚘𝚝, 𝚗𝚘𝚠" "𝚈𝚎𝚊𝚑 𝙲𝚊𝚖 𝚠𝚎 𝚜𝚑𝚘𝚞𝚕𝚍 𝚙𝚛𝚘𝚋𝚊𝚋𝚕𝚢 𝚋𝚎 𝚐𝚘𝚒𝚗𝚐" "𝚏𝚊𝚖𝚒𝚕𝚒𝚊𝚛" My name...
57K 1.1K 17
**COMPLETE** "I didn't catch your name." "I didn't seem to drop it." Spot Conlon's rebelliou...
19.3K 551 59
15 years before the legendary newsies strike of 1899, a child was born. When he is 18 months old, he is brought to the Manhattan Newsies Lodging Hous...