Whirlwind | The Maze Runner...

By JazzBrylyn

"Are you gonna call me Mr. Lizard from now?" "Of course." [Book One of The Adelaide Duncan Series] HIGHEST... More

cast
My Escape Plan Goes Down The Drain
TO DO: Learn Frypan's Real Name
An Alien In Our Backyard
Am I Making New Friends? Part-1
Am I Making New Friends? Part-2
Harrowing Memory
Deadheads Mayhem
Showers Are The Best Place To Cry
Tonight On Dr. Phil- A TRAITOR!
Why Stealing Is Thrilling
Sliced Up Nick
Newt Gets Brownie Points
Would You Rather And A Whole Lot Of Meaningful Trash Talks
Wanna be Merida Of The Glade
And Then He Kissed Me
A Messy Situation
Jealousy Suits Him
Under The Million Stars
Day One As The Rookie-Runner
I Slept With Newt!
Nothing To See Here, Just Your Usual New Greenie
He Has No Idea Why It Is Him Who Babysits The Greenies
We Both Are Broken Souls
Running, Feelings And More
A Fully-Fledged Runner At Your Service
The Fucked Up World We Live In
"I Adore You"
Thomas Shares My Willingness To Step Into A Death Trap
When Bats Flutter In My Stomach
Trapped Out
Thomas And His 'Dead' Friends
The Grivers Are Players
Minho's Girlfriend Wants Us Dead
Florencia
Minho Being Un-Minho-ish
Gathering Is Freaking Chaotic
They Place A Bet On Us?!
The One Where Addie Gets Mad
Cliche Is Not My Forte
Chuckie-Duckie Gets A Sibling
Great Minds Thinks Alike
Prepping Up For The Date
Flowers, Stars And A Whole Lot Of Kisses
Thomas And Minho-The Maze Interior Designers
Grivers Into The Glade
It's Raining Glasses
Griver-Hole And A Wave Of Guilt
Meet Chuck- My Mom
The Creators Are A Big Bloody Pile Of Klunk
The Funeral
The Maze Gives Us Weird Words
The Griver Killer Is Currently Off-Duty
When Our Names Are Not Our Names
Planning, Strategies And A Teensy Bit Of Distractions
Are We Going Home Now?
The Smallest Coffins Are The Heaviest
Sequel
THE SEQUEL IS UP

Another One Bites The Dust

4.2K 93 24
By JazzBrylyn

CHAPTER FOUR

ADELAIDE

As the evening dawned, I find myself leaning out of the sole window of Newt's room, as my fingers worked through the knots in my ridiculously frizzy hair.

The boys had stopped working earlier than usual, and now they are preparing for the boys bonfire. Some were stacking hays in a bundle at the center of the Glade and some are bringing out tables from the dining hall. Frypan and the cooks are especially busy today, preparing the feast as they seem to call it.

And there is also a special drink made by Gally, as explained by Minho. Apparently, without it, the bonfire is incomplete and that only tough shanks can drink it and then it makes you feel heavenly, whatever Minho meant by that.

At first I was skeptical about this whole celebration. I mean, like why, would one want to celebrate coming this hellhole, as Newt likes to call it, but then I saw the meaning.

The bonfire is not just a celebration of a newbie to the Glade, which would allow the Greenie to make new friends, it also allows these boys to take a breather from this horrid life and loosen up a little. I've seen the boys; they work hard. No matter how much horrible situation we live in, everyone needs a little fun time.

Soon, it was time for the bonfire to start and Newt knocks on my door.

"Ready?" he says leaning on the door frame.

"Lets get this over with," I mumble, taking in a huge breath, tying my hair into a bun.

"Hey, don't be such a pamplepuss. Lighten up!"

"You're a pamplepuss." I weakly protest.

I close the door on my way out and follow Newt.

I was lost in my own thoughts when Newt suddenly stops midway. I narrowly avoid crashing into him. He turns towards me and tilts his head slightly.

"What?" I ask. I smile internally at his little head tilt that makes him look cuter.

"You're are one of the reclusive people." He states.

"N-No I'm not." I cross my hands in front of my chest.

"Yes, you are. And it's okay. You know what? If you want, I can stay with you the whole time." I blink in shock as I blush slightly.

"You-You'll stay with me?"

"Yeah. I know that you are comfortable with me. And I will stay with you the whole time. And I can also introduce you to the others. How does that sound?"

"Sounds pretty boring." I deadpan.

"Hey!" Newt scoffs, "I wasn't a bore to you this morning when you begged me to do the Tour. Illegal, I might add."

"I didn't beg."

"Sure. Whatever let's you sleep at night." He winks at me and motions me to follow him.

I know that I have to face the asshole in the box- Eric and the other guy whose arm I had slashed. Honestly, I do feel guilty but hey, I am scared and I had to protect myself. I am still scared but I can't let anyone know that, can I? And I still had to find a way to get out of this Glade.

Not that I trust anyone here, but if what Newt said is true, if everyone here is amnesiac and thrown into this place by some faceless people, I can't just relax here, leading a happy vacation like life while these Creators keeps playing with us.

Practically hiding behind Newt, I walk out of the Homestead and walk over the field. All the boys are there. My breath hitches on seeing them. Stop getting tensed. They wouldn't try anything. You've already scared them away.

And moreover Newt is there.

Newt glances back to see if I am following and then says, "Come here, guest of honor." I nod, and a faint smile dances on my lips. Newt smiles back and gestures me to walk along him as we approach the guys.

The boys, specifically, the Keepers as I notice them, take a piece of wooden stick and pour kerosene on the end of the stick. One of them, hands me one too. Nick, first, lights up his stick, and gestures me to light mine from his.

I try not to fidget as I quickly and efficiently, try to lit my fire torch. Once my torch gets lit, I wait for the other Keepers to lit their torches. Once every one of the torch is lit, Nick motions me to throw my mine into the big- about 20 feet- stack of hay and wood.

As soon as I throw the torch, following me, the others too throw in theirs and within moments, the bonfire is lit.

The boys holler in joy and the flames dances as if wanting to touch the sky.

The bonfire has officially begun.

With the hollers of the boys in some friendly wrestling, I sit down near the bonfire with a piece of roasted chicken, as I try to soak in some warmth of the bonfire, trying to think a way out of this place.

I had just end devouring the chicken when Newt appears, and pulls me onto my feet, saying that I needed to meet the Gladers, much to my denial.

"Guys," Newt announces as we approach a group, "This is Adelaide." I give a small nod. All of them look either nervous or uncomfortable.

That's good.

Alby looks bitter. Newt had told me that he was pretty sour that I hadn't received any punishment after my stunt last day but Nick had asserted that I didn't know the rules and was scared.

Minho looks like his usual, goofy self, his sarcasm reaching the skies.

I know that to keep myself protected, I need these boys to be scared of me and I can see that already happening. Except few like, Newt and Minho. I don't need them to be scared of me. I want them to be my friends.

"Adelaide," Newt calls, walking to a small group. "This is Alby, Jeff, Brandon, and Stuart." He starts and the boys slowly keeps nodding. It is uncomfortable for a few moments as no one know what to do next.

Okay, I'm not good at socializing.

Brandon looks like he has a lot to say. I look at him and slowly raise my one eyebrow, challenging him. His eyes widens when he understands what I mean and say, "Some stunt you pulled up back last mornin', didn't thought some of us can get beaten by a shuck girl."

"Sorry, couldn't help getting tiny worried on seeing hormonal teenagers looking at me as if I'm some animal." I say.

Something flashes in Minho's eyes and he looks towards Newt.

"Yeah, that was not really acceptable. It was not nice. No one blames you for freaking out." Stuart say.

"I never freaked out," I mumble before I can stop myself, "I wanted to go away. As far as I could." I still do. " I self defend. And I really don't mind who blames me for that. I can feel Newt squirming uncomfortably. 

I turn to Minho as I remember something, "Thank you for those daggers, mister?"

Minho's eyes widens, "No way! My daggers are for a different thing, not for you to stab people-"

I give a short laugh.

"You think you're too tough right, girlie?" A rough voice yells at me. I look around for the boy. A tall, muscular boy with crazy eyebrows walk towards me, scanning me up and down, smirking.

"I don't need to think, Mr. Crazy Eyebrows, I know ." There are hoots and whistles. "Gally, got told off by a girl!" one of them says and everyone laugh. I smile seeing Mr. Crazy Eyebrows- Gally- visibly get redder. "Lets see then what you're made of, girlie!" he say, raising his eyebrow, beckoning me to enter the wrestling circle.

"You don't have to do it." Newt tug at my elbow. "Gally is all talks only."

Gally start taunting me, "Oohh, the Girlie got her boyfriend to protect her. But that doesn't matter, because you'll just cry and when I beat the klunk out of you."

"Gally, shut your trap!" Minho snaps at him.

"Why? This girl thinks that she can walk like she owns this place. Nick has softened up to her, but someone should teach her that there are freaking rules in here for a reason."

"She didn't get her Tour, you slinthead!" A tall boy with curly blonde hair and electric blue eyes shouts at Gally.

Gally starts laughing. "I can see that you have already selected your bodyguards."

I can't take it. He is not gonna get away with that. Oddly confident about my win, I make my way towards the ring.

"Just so you know, I won't go easy on you," Gally wink at me smugly.

"Game on, potato nose."

Gally runs towards me pushes me back. I stumble back before I regain my balance. I walk backwards keeping my defensive stance. Gally jumps and punches me in the face. My head whips to the side and I feel my nose crack and I itch to wipe the blood off my nose, but I know that I have to be unpredictable.

He is quite stronger than me but I guess I'm a hell lot quicker.

I look at him and give a roundabout kick on his chest. He falls down but quickly kicks my feet from under me. I fall on my back with an oohmph. He gets up and towers over me, laughing at me.

"Overconfident!" he laughs and some of the Gladers join him.

I push myself to get up, ignoring my aching bones and throbbing tailbone. Gally's smirk disappears as I stand up, raising my both hands in a fist.

"It's over when I say it's over." I grit my teeth. Gally snarls and comes forward to punch me again, but this time I'm ready.

I easily block his punch and twist his hand and lock it behind his back.I use my other hand to get him in a deadlock.

Gally hisses in pain and I give a satisfying smirk. I loose my grip and kick him in his back. He falls forward face first on the ground and I rush to him, before he can even think of getting up and twist his arms behind his back, and kneel on his spine to keep him there.

"Got anymore of your ego to be fucked off?" I growl, leaning near his ear.

Gally doesn't answer so I kneel him harder. He hisses in pain but nods his head in defeat. I release him and getup, dusting

"Greenie! Grieenie!" the boys cheer.

" It's Adelaide!" I yell back. I get back to Newt and Minho, hating all the attention that I'm getting.

"That was the second best fight I've ever seen!" Minho pats my back.

"Whose was the first best?"

"Mine, obviously." Minho runs his hand through his hair cockily. I and Newt both roll our eyes.

"I remember Minho's fight." Newt rubs his chin. "I remember the one who face-planted into the ring and was literally running around the Glade, screaming his shucking pants off." He smirks and looks at Minho pointedly, "Care to jog your memory?"

Minho shakes his head rapidly, his eyes wide with horror.

"I would love to hear about the best fight of the Glade." I wink at Minho. 

He groans pointing at the both of us, "I really don't enjoy the gang-up thingy you two are doing here."

"Who? Us?" I imitate the best confused look. Newt laughs.

"But," Minho smiles at me, "You really beat that shuck-face in his own game! You could've seen steam coming out of his ears."

I can't help laughing. Newt and Minho laugh too.

"Okay, I don't know, that came out naturally!"

"That's your natural game?!" Newt's eyes widen, "Remind me to never get you pissed."

Minho looks at Newt. "Pal, maybe we should make her a Runner!"

Runner?

Newt shakes his head, "Nah! We say we make her a Keeper. A Keeper of Fighters."

I and Minho look at each other momentarily before bursting out laughing. Keeper of Fighters? Right.

The job of Runner does sound alluring to me. Maybe I should be one. Maybe I can help to find a way out.

I sit down by a log and try to think of what that has become of my life, munching on a piece of roasted chicken.

I feel someone's gaze on me. Newt looks at me from afar and he quickly averts his gaze as I catch him staring at me.

He's cute, my inner self say and I reluctantly agree.

A figure towers over me and I look to see Gally. Seriously?  I am too tired for round two. I look down and stared at the fire instead, hoping that he will take the hint and leave me alone. Gally sits down beside me instead me. What does he want? I look at him.

"You're a tough one girlie. Most of the boys would've klunked their pants by now." He states.

"I guess, thanks.." I say, unsure of where he is going.

I am shocked when he put out his hands with a competitive smile. I shake his hand.

"Finally some competition here. None of these slintheads know how to fight like you can."

"Thanks." I say, a little bit of my respect growing for him at his maturity.

"I want a rematch, next time."

"What? Want to loose in front of all of them again?" I smirk.

"I won't loose again." He glared at me, jokingly.

"We'll see." I wink at him playfully. Gally scowls at me before smiling a little and I thrust my hand forward again and he shakes it. He leaves shortly afterwards.

He isn't that bad; just grumpy and irritated. Maybe that's what this place does to people.

I sit alone and stare at the fire and tune every noise out. Putting my chin against my knees and staring at the orange of the fire, my mind wanders to places.

What is happening to me? What is this place? Why am I here? What could I have possibly done to deserve this?

I stress my mind for something to remember. Anything- a random face, a house, a school, a friend, but there is nothing.

Why did they take everything from me? And why did they leave me with my name?Am I a murderer? Did I kill someone?

I could have, I mean, I think I'm insanely trained in fighting and weaponry.

A sudden pat on my shoulder snaps me out of my thoughts.

Newt.

"Why are you staring at the fire like that?" he smiles. Why is he smiling? How could he be so happy in here? Doesn't he want to go back home?

"Nothing. Just thinking."

"Don't. Thinking just always makes it worse. I eats you from inside. That's why, we tend to work hard in here, so that we keep our minds away from thinking too much." Newt stops and it looks like he is hit by a distant memory. His eyes are distant and empty and he scowls but he soon snaps out of it and shrugs at my questioning gaze.

Is Newt also a murderer? How could he of all people kill someone? Gally, remotely believable, but Newt? He doesn't look like he could kill someone, then why is he here? What is his story?

I am overcome by a sudden wave of exhaustion and yawn.

"Looks like you need to call it a night." Newt says.

"Can I ask you a question?"

"Yeah. Anything." He nods encouragingly.

"What kind of name is Newt?"

He rolls his eyes, "What kind of name is Adelaide?"

"A pretty and normal one." I retort.

"You think I like being named after a bloody lizard?"

A laugh escapes my lips.

"Don't make fun of my name, Newbie." He wiggles his finger, smiling.

"Why do you call me Newbie?" I lean over my knees, "You do have a nickname for me."

"Of course I do, but we call every new kid a Newbie until another one comes the next month." He turns sideways facing me, his eyes meeting mine, and I suddenly can feel my eyes lock with his chocolate brown ones.

Newt clears his throat, "Its rude to stare, ya know?" he smirks.

I quickly snap and hid my bright red face behind my hair, using my hair as a curtain.

"Sorry." I squeak.

" You're cute when you are flustered." Newt chuckle and hops up, brushing his pants off dust, "Okay, allow me to take you to your room, Princess."

TOTAL WORD COUNT- 2134

A/N:

i've read many fanfics where the oc straight up falls in love with one of the book characters. as a reader, i particularly find absurd. i man, how can you fall in love with  someone you barely know?

so, i will purposely make this story a slow burn.

im a sucker for slow burns. what about you?

THIS IS AN EDITED CHAPTER, BUT IF THERE IS ANY MISTAKE PLEASE LET ME KNOW

vote and comment if you liked this chapter :) 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

89.7K 2.9K 24
❝ Promise me this If I lose to myself You won't mourn a day And move on to someone else ❞ COMPLETED. ❨ Book 3/3 ❩ Everything is comi...
844K 14K 49
A maze runner love story, a wondrous disaster. *may contain mature themes* [completed] #1 newt #...
3.6K 79 16
"𝕐𝕠𝕦 𝕘𝕒𝕧𝕖 𝕞𝕖 𝕙𝕠𝕡𝕖, ℂ𝕝𝕖𝕞𝕖𝕟𝕥𝕚𝕟𝕖," 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕓𝕠𝕪 𝕒𝕟𝕤𝕨𝕖𝕣𝕤, 𝕒 𝕤𝕞𝕚𝕝𝕖 𝕤𝕥𝕒𝕣𝕥𝕚𝕟𝕘 𝕥𝕠 𝕗𝕠𝕣𝕞 𝕠𝕟 𝕙𝕚𝕤 𝕝𝕚𝕡𝕤...
219K 4K 33
A feeling of comfort washed over me as his arms repeated my action, pulling me closer to his chest. "Of course, I got completely tangled up in all th...