The Lost Horcrux

By Th3Alch3mist

Harry Potter is thought dead, killed at the Battle of Hogwarts. Hermione suffers the horrors of a forced marr... More

Author Note 2021
The Deathday Party
Blood Brothers
The Terrible Head Dragon
The Scars of Heroes
The Secret Garden
Kingly Favours
Riddles in the Dark
Transference
A Darkling Plain
Night Terrors
Bedtime Rituals
Harry's Secret Suffering
The Church of the Dark Mark
A Witch's Vow
Close to the Bones
The Dark King's Gambit
The Bonds of Matrimony
A Heart to Hart
Daddy Issues
A Low Born Victory
The Mistress of the Manor
A Bootful of Bad Memories
Rites of Passage
Trespasses Against Us
The Triad
The Seer Shows The Way
Hermione's Hidden Mindscape
Internal Affairs
Neville's Tale
Fiddler's Bane
The International Confederation of Wizards
The Alchemist's Daughter
All In The Mind
A Study in Alchemy
Promises Made and Broken
What Friends Are For
Permission Granted
The Chemical Wedding
A Harmonious Consummation
Damage Limitations
The Lovegood Inquisition
The Rats of The Ratway
The Ending Site
Chilling Effects
Unwilling Defenders
Two Birds With One Stone
The Sisters of Magical Obedience
Two Out of Three Ain't Bad
Quintessence
The Opus Alchymicum
The Life and Crimes of Ginevra Weasley
The Exorcism of Privet Drive
The Vengeance of Minerva McGonagall
A Pyramid Scheme
Sister Acts
The Rebirth of the House of Black
Bait and Switch
The Lost Horcrux
The Final Secret Weapon
The Last Drop of the Vinegar
Northern Lights

The Order of Merlin

847 44 3
By Th3Alch3mist

Disclaimers: Dark themes, police state ideas, mention of spousal abuse on and off-screen, death of minor characters, graphic imagery and violence, frank sex discussion, copious bad language, bashing the fucking Weasleys and Dumbledore, liberties taken with mythical history.

***

The air in the room was seriously tense. On the one side was Narcissa Malfoy, standing in an almost regal pose, but waiting, Hermione thought, with dignified respect. Facing her with a look of dubious curiosity was Luna, with little Celesca tucked protectively close to her side. The little girl looked like she didn't know how to be, torn between these two forces literally crackling in the face of one another.

And in the middle of it all stood Hermione ... anxious, edgy, not at all sure how this was going to go.

It was Narcissa who broke the heavy silence between them.

"Miss Lovegood," she began in a solemn tone. "No words can convey my deep regret, my heartfelt sorrow over my son's terrible actions towards you all those years ago. Nor can they do justice to my irremovable shame at allowing you to suffer so horrifically. I am owed to be resented by you forever, and I would expect nothing less as my due. Know only that I was powerless to assist you, trapped as I was under the tyranny of the Dark Lord and my own husband. I mourned for you in the aftermath, but I do not deserve redemption, nor am I arrogant enough to seek it from you.

"I ask only that I be allowed to know your wonderful daughter, my only grandchild. I will respect any boundaries you set and hope, should you have it in you, that we may begin to forge a new relationship through our shared love of little Celesca."

Luna looked over at Hermione, in obvious surprise. Hermione raised her eyebrows in return.

"Thank you, Lady Malfoy, for your sympathy," said Luna. "I suppose I can accept that you were unable to help me, and maybe I'm transferring my hate of your son, and of The Dark King, onto you. I can make no promises that I can change that, but I will try, for the sake of my daughter. But I have expectations of you."

"Of course," said Narcissa, chancing a hopeful step forwards. "Name them."

Luna smiled weakly. "I expect you to spoil her, to love her rotten, to pass on all your knowledge and skills to the best of your abilities. You know things about her unique talents that I can only guess at. She has great need for your guidance, and I expect you to help her however you can."

Narcissa smiled warmly. "I can do all of that, Miss Lovegood. I promise you that and so much more. She will want for nothing that I am able to provide."

"Good. I'm glad of that," said Luna. She knelt down and turned Celesca to face her. "I'm going to leave you alone to talk with your grandmother for a bit. You be a good girl, be polite and respectful and ask all the questions you can think of."

Celesca grinned mischievously. "I'm always a good girl, Mummy."

"Yes, you are," Luna smiled fondly at her daughter. She stood and turned to go.

"I'm staying," Hermione announced stubbornly, throwing a look at Narcissa for a challenge. It never came. She turned back to Luna. "I'll bring her back to you when they're done."

"Thank you," said Luna, smiling appreciatively. "I'm going to be in the stables, grooming the unicorns. This dry weather is attracting doxys to their coats."

"Ooh, I'd like to see the unicorns!" cried Celesca in her excitement. "You will take me there later, won't you, Miss Hermione?"

"Of course, sweetheart," said Hermione. "Now, go and meet your Grandma properly. I'm sure you have lots to talk about."

Celesca skipped to Narcissa and they retreated to a couch near the window. Hermione sidled up to Luna.

"Don't worry, I wont let Narcissa turn her into a Malfoy," Hermione grinned firmly. "Good ploy with the unicorns, though. All little witches love unicorns."

"What ploy?" asked Luna innocently, whipping out a brush. "I am going to the stables. Harry said it was alright for me to."

Hermione shifted awkwardly. "Oh, right. Well, I'll bring Cesc to you in a while."

Luna took one last, almost sad look at Celesca before leaving the room. Hermione turned and frowned at the two on the couch. They were already as thick as thieves and chattering away rapidly. Hermione moved to a cosy chair near to the window, where she could eavesdrop on the conversation without it looking like that's what she was doing, and took a book down from a case that was in an alcove there. She felt that immediate sense of contentment that having a book in her lap brought to her. She didn't even have to know what it was about. There were just fewer things more symbiotic in the world than Hermione Granger and some oversized tome between her fingers.

She caught herself daydreaming as she sat there. It was quite possible, if all went to plan, that she would be married to Harry within a matter of days or weeks. This house, and everything in it, would then be officially hers, even though she'd been lording it over everyone as Lady of the Manor pretty much since she'd arrived. It would be beyond contestation as soon as it was official. And, as she sat there and watched out of the window at the birds rising from the distant orchard, she found herself in the throes of a romantic fantasy.

She dreamed of herself a year from now, sat in this same chair, looking out at the same orchard. It would be her orchard by then. Harry could be quaffing the cider pressed from its apples. She would have a book in her hand, and she'd be blissfully happy like that. Celesca would be there, too, but not talking to Narcissa. She'd be cooing to a newborn baby, talking to it with her incredible Seer ability.

And Hermione wondered then if she and Harry would have a boy or a girl first.

The thought jolted her to full alertness and set her heart to tremulous beating. All sound seemed to have stopped in the world and Hermione was smiling wildly to herself, she knew she was, and accepted that it might have looked like she was going a bit mental to anyone who was watching, but she couldn't help it. What would she prefer first ... a son or a daughter? It was such a happy conundrum to daydream away to.

She had to think she'd prefer a little girl first. She was falling a bit in love with Celesca and, if Luna ever decided she was bored with being a Mum, maybe she'd let Hermione adopt her. She rolled her eyes at her own insane silliness and considered what Harry would rather have. The very notion that they would even be able to have such a conversation was so wonderfully ludicrous that Hermione wanted to laugh out loud, just because she could.

The ring now missing from her finger had been such a burden ... the last true link to the Weasleys and her abusive marriage to the youngest son of that hated family. She was feeling like her old self again, more and more so with each hour that her hand was free of that ugly piece of tin. But it was more than that, because she felt like a better her, a stronger one. She'd come through a horrendous experience, been beaten but not broken ... and the universe had rewarded her with Harry and the love they were now drowning in.

And Hermione had to think it would reward her with a baby from him, too.

She hoped that would turn out to be true, but they had a world to change before all of that. Besides, she was supposed to be keeping an ear on what Narcissa was discussing with Celesca, but it was something that Luna's daughter was saying that turned Hermione back to the conversation ... and turned her stomach to boot.

"Can ... can you stop them doing it Nanny Ciss?" Celesca was asking in a pitiful little voice. "Can you stop them giving me nighty-mares? I really don't like them, and they are making me awfully frightened. Can you stop the crazy lady with the wild hair from bringing the nasty witch with the black eyes into my dreams ... can you stop her because she's your sister?"

Hermione felt all her breath leave her in one, agonizing go. She leapt up and hurried over the couch, kneeling down where Celesca was kicking her feet against the bottom of the seat.

"What did you just say?" Hermione demanded, then she swore at herself in her head as Celesca looked up at her with wide, terrified eyes, as though expecting a serious telling-off. "I'm sorry, honey, I didn't mean that to sound so nasty. Can you tell me what you just said to your Grandma?"

"I was just telling her that I've been having some nighty-mares," Celesca explained, timidly. "But I know they're not normal nighty-mares, because I can stop those ones if I have them. So these must be real, because I cant."

Hermione felt her heart crack at Celesca's fraught little tone. "And you think you know who's causing them? You think it's your Grandma's sister?"

Celesca nodded, grimly. "But it's not just her ... it's the other one ... and she's just as bad."

"Which other one?"

"The ugly witch with the black eyes and long black hair," Celesca answered, quietly. "The one who used to be your sister, Miss Hermione, before you snapped that nasty cord inside you. I mean, she wasn't really your sister ... but she still was somehow. I don't really know how that works, but she was."

Ginevra twatting Weasley. Her hair and eye pigments tainted black by carrying Voldemort's evil offspring in her cursed womb ... this must be who Celesca was referring to. And she had found a way to invade her dreams? Hermione scowled viciously at the thought ... ooh, when she saw that bitch again, she was going to kick her right in the ovaries.

Hermione turned her head to Narcissa with a dark frown. "You'd better explain this to me, right now. Did you know?"

"I had no idea," Narcissa replied, shaking her head. "This is the first I am hearing of this, I promise you."

"Hmm," Hermione huffed, not sure if she totally believed this. "And how is she getting into Celesca's dreams? And more importantly ... why?"

"The 'why' I have no clue about," Narcissa answered. "Though my guess would be that there is something we have overlooked regarding why Celesca was targeted in the first place. Perhaps our enemies have an interest in her that we have been as yet unaware of."

"Something beyond her Seer ability, you think?" Hermione pondered in response. "Like what?"

"Who knows, but my goal will be to uncover it as soon as we are done with your Acolyte Induction."

"I'll leave that to you, then," Hermione nodded. "But you said you know how they are doing this? Explain it to me."

"They must be using Draco," Narcissa stated, bluntly. "I don't know how they even learned about Celesca ... Draco never knew, or if he did he never let on to me about it. Bella was always good when it came to the Dark side of cerebral magic ... just ask your friends, the elder Longbottoms, about that. She made it a sadistic art form."

"And now she's turned her palette on her Grandniece," Hermione spat. "Bloody Draco ... why didn't I just kill him when I had the chance? Harry always said not to play with your food before you ate it ... and this is exactly why! I see that now. I was such a fool! Gah! And now this little angel is paying the price. How can it make it up to you, sweetie?"

Celesca scrunched her button nose with aching cuteness as she thought about it. "Well, Nanny Ciss says that you're going to need someone to bring you your ring at your wedding. I wanted to be a flower girl, and dress up like a big daffodil or something, but Mummy said that I was being silly and had to wear a normal dress. Which I thought was very unfair, I think. But do you think I could do that instead?"

"I can think of nobody I'd rather have as my ring-bearer," Hermione grinned, warmly. Celesca clapped her hands gleefully and beamed out a smile that seemed to produce its own light. Hermione blinked at it, then turned darkly to Narcissa. "But I am going to take care of this problem at source, as it were. I'm sorry, Lady Malfoy, but Draco cannot be allowed to live. You need to make a choice ... your son ... or your Granddaughter."

"Miss Granger, my son died a long time ago," Narcissa returned, with all the coldness expected of a Malfoy. "That thing that remains in his warped body is an abhorration of the boy I bore and raised. His death will be a blessing to his immortal soul."

"Then ... you wont resent me for killing him?" Hermione asked with a quirked eyebrow.

"I resent Voldemort for what he has done to my son, and so many others like him," Narcissa sighed, sadly. "But you ... I cannot resent you for what you must do. I just ask for one favour ... that you make it quick. Some part of him is still my boy ... and I hope he will remember that before the end."

"I will do as you ask, so long as you get to the bottom of whatever it is that Bella and Ginevra are up to ... and that you tell me about it as soon as you do," Hermione agreed.

"I shall, you have my word on that," Narcissa promised. "But we need to address the business of your Acolyte induction before you go charging off into the world to find my errant son. While you were off meeting with Harry's Princes yesterday, Enola and I cast the appropriate enchantments on the ritual circle here on the grounds. We are ready to proceed whenever you are."

Hermione's eyes popped wide in shock and annoyed confusion. "But Enola said you have to use a special ritual circle in Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwryndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch?"

Narcissa looked over at her and chuckled. "We call it Llanfair P.G. for short, you know. But well done on the pronunciation. We could use that one, but it might be a bit dangerous to be out in the open and exposed for so long. Besides, Harry has created an equally powerful standing stone circle here. We can use that space just as well."

Hermione scowled crossly. "Are you effing kidding me? I was up till three in the morning working on that tongue-twisting place name! Ennie said I had to perform a vocal Apparition spell just to find it!"

Narcissa laughed heartily. "I blame myself. I started that particular initiation requirement as a bit of fun. It does demonstrate commitment to the cause, though, so good for you. To tell the truth, I can't even say the full name, myself!"

"Pack of bitches," Hermione complained, bitterly, scowling in her annoyance. "All that work, all that yawning, all that strong coffee ... all for nothing. Bitches ... ooh, I'll get you all back for this. You just wait and see."

"Am I a bitch, Miss Hermione?" Celesca asked, sweetly.

"No, honey, you're an angel," Hermione smiled down at her, ashamed of her gutter language. "And I'm sorry for using a naughty word. I'll go and wash my mouth out with soap and water when we're done here."

"You don't have to do that," Celesca told her. "A bitch is a girl dog, isn't it? So it's not really a rude word. Not like bum, or poo, or the f-word."

"It is the way I used it," Hermione replied "And you mustn't use it like that. Your Mummy will be very cross with you if you do, and with me for using it in front of you."

"But I don't mind being a bitch, Miss Hermione," Celesca argued, cheerily. "In fact, I think I'd quite like to be one, especially if everyone else is. I think I'd quite like to be in a pack of bitches with everyone else. It sounds like fun. Besides, I like dogs, and lady dogs the best. Can you get a dog, Miss Hermione? I think you need one. I could walk it for you, if you didn't want to. We could run around in the gardens outside, and when it rains we can run all the way down the long room upstairs with all the big paintings in instead, the ones with old men and ladies in funny clothes that look down at you and tell you off from running past them. But I run so fast, Miss Hermione, that they can never finish telling me off. It's just the best and funniest game! We should play it one day."

Hermione was exhausted just listening to the scheme, let alone being part of it. She turned to Narcissa, as Celesca began discussing with herself what sort of dog she'd like the best.

"So, can you set up the Acolyte induction today?"

"Yes, we have everything we need," Narcissa confirmed. "But you have to know what you're swearing into. This isn't something to enter into lightly."

Hermione scoffed. "I can only wed Harry if I'm in this Order, and his mother was in it, too. I don't need to know anything else."

"Lily Potter was the Head of this Order," said Narcissa. "When she died, I took over from her. And now, once you are Harry's wife ... you will be expected to take over from me. That is the hierarchy of things."

Hermione gasped. "But I don't have the faintest clue about any of that! That's bloody unreasonable!"

"Relax, Miss Granger, I will prepare you for it," said Narcissa, calmly. "If you are willing, I can take you on as an Apprentice. I, myself, Apprenticed briefly under Lily, and also with Harry's Grandmother, who was the incumbent Head Acolyte at the time. I will pass on all the knowledge that you will need."

"Thank you," Hermione sighed. "I will definitely need some help. I feel like there's so much I don't know, about so many aspects of Harry's life."

"Just take one thing at a time," said Narcissa, gently. "The Acolytes, for example. We are the female side of the chief protectors of the Merlinic line. We have its secrets to protect, its honour to uphold. We are separate from the Knights only because of the sexual connotations of naked ritual."

Celesca threw her hands to her mouth and started giggling. "You said 'naked'!"

"Yes, I did," said Narcissa, seriously. "Many of our rituals call for the participants to shed their clothes."

Celesca looked up in horror. "I'm never doing one of those then! Miss Hermione's wedding wont be like that, will it?"

"No, but her Induction to our Order will," said Narcissa. "Will that be a problem for you, Miss Granger?"

Hermione baulked ... then lied through her teeth. "No. But I'd better go and see Enola. I'm sure she'll have some sort of make-up to create an illusion of my being in shape. She's gifted when it comes to cosmetic magic. And I'd better clean my Ritual Robe, as I'm pretty sure it will be inappropriate to walk naked around the house. Unless that's another part of your initiation?"

Narcissa smirked. "No, you're quite safe from that."

"Then if I don't need to know anything else, I'll return Celesca to her mother," said Hermione.

"You go and prepare yourself for the ceremony," said Narcissa. "I will deliver my granddaughter back to her mother. There are a few private things I need to discuss with them both."

Hermione frowned. She didn't like that, but there was a finality to Narcissa's tone which suggested she would brook no opposite to her decision. So, with a little huff, Hermione agreed. Then she went to look for Enola, hoping she had a cure for nudity nerves somewhere in her make-up kit.

***

Hermione ground her fingers nervously as she waited. The silence of the evening air seemed to throb and hum all around her, making her irrationally anxious. She picked at the detailing on her Ritual Robe as she paced back and forth in her restlessness. What was there to be worried about? She was about to commit herself to an Order dedicated to protecting the most noble of magical family lines - Harry's. Then she was soon going to become part of that line herself, now that all other obstacles to prevent it had been overcome. Hermione fluttered wildly at that idea. Never had her imminent union with Harry struck her so forcefully.

This moment, that she had been waiting for her whole life, both consciously and unconsciously, was finally within her grasp.

And Hermione was instantly calmed as the thought settled on her and she smiled to herself. She could almost feel Harry trying to ease her, to massage her worries and concerns in the form of Lily the Phoenix, who trilled out a lingering, soothing note from her perch nearby. Hermione closed her eyes and absorbed the relaxing power of the tremulous note. She could do this ... there was nothing to worry about.

It would have been fine, if it wasn't for the required nudity of the ritual. They'd never mentioned this at Hogwarts. But then, Hermione considered, ritual magic had never made the curriculum at all. She frowned a little at that. Witches and wizards were missing out on so much without it. She pitied them a little, then got back to all this nudity business.

She smoothed her robe over her breasts and hips, considering her shape. She didn't have much to be concerned about, really. Whilst not as athletic or toned as she'd been in her swimming days, or as busty and leggy as Enola, she was still in decent trim. She didn't show it off much, but she was nicely endowed in all the right places. She made a mental note to tell Harry to build her a pool somewhere so she could get her figure back, it was about time she took herself in hand in that way.

But the biggest thing she was concerned about, the one thing no amount of exercise could do anything to improve, was her scar.

It usually stayed hidden beneath her layers of clothing, but now it would be on display. A thin, angry purple line, sickle-shaped, running down her cleavage and under her left breast. It didn't hurt, not like Harry's gaping wounds, and it wasn't even as tender as the scar tissue of the Locket-Horcrux memento on her sternum, but she'd always had an issue with it.

Ever since Antonin Dolohov had given it to her when she was just sixteen, on that fateful night searching for Harry's prophecy at the Ministry of Magic, Hermione had kept it hidden in her shame. She'd met Dolohov only once since then, during the public execution of Filius Flitwick. Dolohov had wanted to have the former Charms Master's head mounted on ebony as a trophy, his reward for subduing the legendary dueller, and Hermione had also gotten the impression that he fancied using his trademark curse on her again, just to finish the job he failed to do back at the Ministry.

Needless to say, Antonin Dolohov was still a massive bell-end.

But Hermione didn't have much time to think about that, as whooshes of Apparition suddenly began sweeping around her. Six witches were now standing opposite her, all bedecked in red-purple ritual gowns with gold tassels. Their hoods were shallow and Hermione exchanged encouraging grins with Enola and Myfanwy. It was with a pang that she noticed Angharad was not among the number, but she was thrilled to see that Luna had stepped into her place.

Then Narcissa stepped forwards.

"Miss Granger, follow me please."

Hermione obliged, trotting behind Narcissa as she led them over the rise of a small hillock, holding her robe off the ground to avoid the wet grass underfoot. Hermione had not been this far West in the grounds before and she was curious to see where they were going. And when she did, she just gasped in surprise.

For they were looking down into a shallow depression in the valley, like a sort of natural crater, brilliantly lit by a light source that Hermione couldn't detect. It was a perfect circle of lush green lawn untouched by the weathering all around it. At the centre of it was a shallow earthwork mound, and atop that a row of three concentric rings of perfectly carved oblong standing stones, all crowned by heavy lintels. The monument was silvery blue in colour and each stone shone as though producing its own light. The whole place thrummed with a low vibration of energy that Hermione could feel resonating in her bones.

"Welcome to the Temple of the Moon," Narcissa announced in a low tenor. "Built out of bluestone from the same Preseli Hills that provided some of the monoliths for Stonehenge, this is where you will become a member of our Order. Please follow me."

Narcissa flicked her wand and was suddenly carrying a ceremonial candelabra, with a single sconce at the top. She looked up, and suddenly Lily was there, hissing fire until the sconce crackled to life. Narcissa, herself, was resplendent in an ice-white and silver robe. It shone with intensity and Hermione could feel its power pulsing back at her as she ambled along in her slipstream. The runes and markings, woven in with silver thread, glinted against the light and pulsed with Narcissa's power like a strobe. She beckoned Hermione forward and she went, halting once they reached the centre of the standing stone circle.

It was dark and cool at the centre of the stone rings. The air hummed with a barely audible touch of sound, and Narcissa extended her hand to Hermione, beckoning her to stand at her side. Then Narcissa directed the other witches into a circle around them, into places marked out for the purpose of this ritual. When they were in position, evenly spaced, Narcissa carefully placed the candelabra at her feet and turned to the others.

"Witches!"

At the command, five of the other women threw their hands up to the knotted tassels at the necks of their gowns. They did it with almost military synchronicity. Luna, who was obviously new to this, swiftly followed suit. As soon as she did, a wave of low level magic swept around the circle. Narcissa then took the sconce from the candelabra, scooped the flame into the palm of her hand without it burning her, then cast it to the floor.

A ring of fire suddenly encircled them, the flames licking to knee height. Hermione felt the warmth envelop her, as well as another touch of that low intensity magic. Then Narcissa clapped her hands three times ... and all the witches pulled simultaneously on their tassels, letting their robes fall to the floor. Not one of them flinched at being suddenly naked. Not even Luna. But, then again, she'd always been a little quirky that way.

Hermione couldn't help but flick her eyes at Enola, standing just to her right. And she huffed in light crossness. She'd always known it, but the girl was a fucking goddess. From her sleek black hair and facial beauty, down through her perfect teardrop-shaped breasts, which were even bigger than her clothing let on, to a slender waist, and hips with just enough of a womanly, sexy swell to accentuate those long, smooth legs. Hermione huffed again. This girl had had a baby, and yet she looked the very flawless definition of hot as fuck. Hermione would definitely be picking her brains for some pointers after this.

And she decided she might start with some personal grooming on herself. Hermione's eyes flickered involuntarily to that triangle between Enola's legs. That bare triangle, such as it was. It made her look neat, trim, with the tantalising tease of a tiny hint of slit above her clitoral hood. Hermione looked down at her own version, with hair as wild as that which she had on her head. It had never occurred to her to pay attention to such things during her hated marriage to Ron. She would definitely need to revisit that idea.

But, for now, Narcissa was demanding her attention.

"Miss Granger," Narcissa cajoled. "If you will."

She beckoned to her, nodding pointedly at her robe. Hermione took the cords in her hands and slowly untied them with shaky fingers. She huffed once more at her modesty, then pulled the robe from her shoulders. She caught Enola's eye, and her best friend nodded her head approvingly at Hermione's form. Pleased and emboldened, Hermione felt her shoulders relax and turned to Narcissa for the next instruction.

Then Narcissa shed her own robe. For an older witch, she was in cracking shape, too. She was also slim, and had the toned physique of a yoga master. She took Hermione by surprise as she stepped close and placed her hands on her shoulders.

"Please move to your knees for me, Miss Granger," Narcissa began.

Hermione bashfully did as she was instructed, pointedly aware that her flushed face was now level with Narcissa's naked crotch. Thankfully, Narcissa turned Hermione to face away from her.

"Witches! Let us begin," Narcissa cried. "Enola Longbottom - imbibe the circle!"

Hermione watched Enola step forward. She cupped her hands out in front of her. Suddenly, a small, domed tower materialised in her hands.

"The athanor - provider of the Secret Flame," said Enola. "I call on the Spirits of Fire to bless our purpose."

A sweep of energy thundered around the circle. Hermione felt it pulse through her body like a sonic boom.

"Alice Longbottom - imbibe the circle!" called Narcissa.

Neville's mother stepped forward. "The horn of the unicorn, a sacred creature. I call on the Spirits of the Earth to bless our purpose."

Another heady sweep of magic coated them all.

"Myfanwy Price - imbibe the circle!"

"The talons of an owl, messengers of the sky. I call on the Spirits of the Air to bless our purpose."

Cassie was called forward last. She conjured miniature waves, which hung surreally between her palms. "The swell of the raging ocean. I call on the Spirits of Water to bless our purpose."

"Thank you, ladies," said Narcissa. "I beckon the power of Arianwen Hart and Luna Lovegood to empower our circle. Witches, raise your hands."

Arianwen and Luna obeyed. Narcissa stood before Luna first, aiming her wand at her right palm.

"The Acorn - the power of Autumn," said Narcissa, conjuring the little nut with her wand. She then turned her wand to Luna's left palm. "And a head of barley, to summon the heart of Spring."

Narcissa crossed to Arianwen. "A snowflake, to call to us, the Winter, and a captured sunbeam, the energy of Summer."

The magic now became so intense that as it heaved around Hermione, she nearly fainted from the force of it. It didn't help that Narcissa was summoning the energy to her and channelling it into the space that she shared with Hermione, causing the very air to churn and swirl violently around them. It was all Hermione could do to keep herself steady.

"Hermione Jane Granger," Narcissa boomed out. "We will now begin your induction to this, our most beloved Order. Do you agree to uphold our Three Tenets?"

"I do," said Hermione.

"Do you agree to honour and protect the most noble magical family line, sired by Merlin himself?"

"I do," said Hermione. A swoosh of magic rushed up through her as the oath settled.

Narcissa reached over into the crashing waves between Cassie's palms, scooped up a double-palmful of the water there and let it cascade down onto Hermione's head.

"Do you agree to protect its secrets and never reveal them?"

"I do." Hermione blinked out more water as it crashed into her eyes. She panted hard against another powerful bolt of oath magic, gripping tightly at the sides of the stone beneath her knees.

"And do you agree to offer yourself wholly into the service of the Heir Incumbent, Harry James Potter, and obey his Lordship?"

Hermione turned her head to look up fiercely at Narcissa. "For as long as I live."

Narcissa smiled warmly at her, then dumped one last handful of the foamy water onto Hermione's now sodden, bushy crown.

"Then, by the power, and authority, bestowed upon me by Harry James Potter, our Lord and Master, I now induct you, Hermione Jane Granger, into the Order of Merlin, Acolyte Class. May you cherish your sistership, and serve the Order with honour and dignity, for the rest of your natural life. When the time is right, you will give to us your menstrual blood, then your covenant with us will be sealed forever. But, for now ... Arise, Lady Hermione, Our Sister."

"Our sister!" the other witches chorused, as Narcissa stepped close and clasped a shining silver bracelet to Hermione's left wrist. It locked with a little click and Hermione felt all that magic in the circle swirl and congeal ... then flow directly into her body. She felt thoroughly invigorated by it

Hermione stood slowly. Her knees were trembling, the residual magic still tingling all through her. She looked nervously around the circle. Each witch bowed their head to her in a gesture of salute, and she returned each nod with a goofy sort of grin. She felt the oaths and vows settle on her like a gentle mist. And she could feel a new level of connection joining her to them all, and an intense new power, as though she were now part of something visceral and much bigger than herself. It was intoxicating.

Narcissa clapped her hands once again and the flames died away. Hermione, shivering against the cold, was glad of Enola and Luna, who hurried up to her and re-robed her.

"See? Told you it wasn't that bad," Enola grinned.

"That was intense," Luna added, nodding appraisingly. "I think, when I'm a bit stronger, I might want to join this Order, if you'll let me."

"Of course I will!" Hermione smiled, throwing an arm around her shoulder. "Look, you girls are not friends anymore ... you are my sisters, now ... and as dear to me as real sisters could ever be."

"Well come then, Sister," Enola grinned, curling her arm into Hermione's. "Let's get you back to the house. We have a surprise waiting for you."

"A surprise? What for?" Hermione queried.

"We've organised a little party, a joint celebration," Enola went on. "You are now an Acolyte, a member of the Order of Merlin ... and it is also your birthday! Did you think we'd forgotten?"

Hermione gasped. Was it really her birthday? It must have been, it was around the right time of year. She blinked in her astonishment. "To be honest, I'd forgotten! I hope you haven't gone to too much trouble."

"We haven't done anything," Luna grinned. "But Harry and Cesc have been beavering away all evening in the kitchen, baking you a cake. I wouldn't hold out much hope, as Cesc prefers to eat food rather than make it, but let's go and see how they got on!" 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

164K 4.2K 12
the summer before sixth year: Draco's parents are dead; he's no longer useful to the Dark Lord, and is planned to be killed off. So he's brought to 1...
22.6K 465 38
Hermione finds herself a prisoner of Voldemort. However, instead of killing her, he makes her his protege. He turns her against her friends and the O...
244 0 29
Voldemort returns to power and Harry needs to defeat him. While Hermione is helping Harry, she also has to work with Draco Malfoy and is even more at...
157K 4.6K 50
Post Battle of Hogwarts. Voldemort won and Harry Potter is dead. Hermione and Draco find themselves in Azkaban together able to talk through a vent i...