Year 18

By 32_books

Book #3 The Year Rules were changeable. Year 13 Academy Prep Course 2 Year 14 Three-Part Testing Year 15 Choo... More

-Synopsis-
-Chapter 1-
-Chapter 2-
-Chapter 3-
-Chapter 4-
-Chapter 5-
-Chapter 6-
-Chapter 7-
-Chapter 8-
-Chapter 9-
-Chapter 10-
Author's Notes, June 21st, 2020
Author's Notes, August 23rd, 2020
-Chapter 11-
-Chapter 12-
-Chapter 13-
-Chapter 14-
-Chapter 15-
-Chapter 16-
-Chapter 18-
-Chapter 19-
Author's Notes, March 15th, 2021
-Chapter 20-
-Chapter 21-
-Chapter 22-
-Chapter 23-
-Chapter 24-
-Chapter 25-
-Chapter 26-
-Chapter 27-
-Chapter 28-
Author's Note 8/19/2023
-Chapter 29-
-Chapter 30-
-Chapter 31-
-Chapter 32-
-Chapter 33-
-Chapter 34-
-Chapter 35 -
-Chapter 36-
-Chapter 37-
Chapter 38
- Chapter 39 -
- Chapter 40 -
- Epilogue -

-Chapter 17-

567 33 6
By 32_books

Kane's LR-9 dings, pulling his attention away from me.

"What's it say?"

He looks back at me, reading the message again, looking between the device and me.

"It's Andrew... he's asking if you're with me." He closes his eyes, taking a shaky breath. "Is it really you? I want to believe it... I know I should but after everything-"

Leaning toward Kane, I run my fingers along his jaw, moving him closer. My lips find his, an unspoken oath of truth. I want him to believe me. He needs to believe me; after everything we've been through there's no more room for lies.

He seems to melt into my touch, though there's part of him I can tell is reserved. His fingers hesitantly curl under my chin, as he moves his lips across mine. For a single moment it's easy to forget that he's still unsure if I'm truly me. It's easy to forget that my execution is still set for three days from now. That's when the moment breaks.

"I understand it may take time for you to trust me," I take a deep breath, my lips moving against Kane's, "but we don't have a lot of time. I need to fill you and everyone in on something that's happening."

"Did you see anyone else?" he asks, his question making me wonder if he's really heard what I've said.

"Briefly. But I didn't stop to say hello." I meet his gaze. "I wanted to see you first."

Kane's Adam's apple bobs and his jaw clenches again. "It will take me some time to adjust to having you back. I believe you," he sighs, "but there are things that happened in those Cells I still haven't told you. I just have trouble believing my eyes is all."

Feeling tears press against the backs of my eyes I nod. "We have all the time in the world for you to fill me in."

Kane's thumb traces circles on my cheek, and his eyes soften, looking like an almost lighter brown than they did minutes ago.

"What is it you need to tell me?"

Kane walks beside me, and in this light I'm finally able to see just how much he's changed over the course of the past few days.

His hand shakes as he holds mine, his knuckles bruised, cuts marring his skin. His shirt seems to hang off of him looser than normal, the confidence that fills him seeming to have deflated. Perhaps most notably in terms of appearance is the unkempt mop of hair resting on the top of his head, paired with the beard that's begun to sprout along his jaw.

A pang of guilt clutches at my stomach. I'm the one who hurt him. I only hope that he'll be able to forgive me. It's not something we've talked about yet.

I asked him to trust me. How can he after what I've done?

Walking through the halls, it feels as though Kane's movements are delayed; his pace slower than mine despite the fact that his gait is sizably larger than my own.

"Andrew prepped everyone, so they won't be completely taken aback to see you," Kane explains as we near the dining room. "Someone is very excited that you're back."

It's a bit of an understatement I realize as I'm met with flailing arms that wrap around my waist and shoulders, my name ringing in the air as we step in the dining room. I feel panic at first until I look at the faces around me. Anya. Andrea. Mrs. Porter. Tommy stands to the side, a wide smile on his face, Amelia in his arms. Others stand by as well, those I know but perhaps have not grown close to over my time here.

I bring my hand up to my mouth to cover the sob caught in my throat. I knew seeing everyone again would pull at my emotions, but it's more intense than that.

It's all so overwhelming, and yet all I want is to hold Amelia, to take note of how she's changed since I last saw her.

My bottom lip wobbles as Tommy brings her over, kissing her forehead before handing her to me.

"Oh sweet girl," I hold her close, pressing a long kiss to her forehead myself, "sweet, sweet girl."

Kane's hesitant hand finds the small of my back, though he doesn't stand quite as close as he normally would. "She missed you," he says. "Some nights I couldn't soothe her because she only wanted you."

I don't think he means for the comment to sting, but I can hear the accusation laced thinly through his words. You left her, and you left me.

I hold her close, chuckling when she smiles, resting her head against my chest. She feels heavier in my arms, and I notice that she seems to have more control of her movements. I haven't been gone that long, but I feel as though it was a lifetime.

Once the crowd around me has cleared some, Mrs. Porter steps forward again, wrapping me in her arms, pulling me to her chest. Her hug isn't too tight, obviously aware of Amelia, but there's a strength in her arms that makes me feel safe. For the first time in weeks I feel truly grounded, that right here in this moment I am out of reach of the Government.

"Now I finally have all my family here under this roof," she whispers, her voice tight with emotion. "I've waited years for this."

I wonder what it would have been like had my family gotten to have a similar moment together. Would my parents have held me as tightly as Mrs. Porter is now? Would Paul and I have been as estranged as Kane and Andrew?

Paul.

"How's my brother?" I ask as Mrs. Porter steps away, wiping at a tear working its way down her cheek.

"He's alright... but he's recovering," Andrea speaks up.

"What do you mean 'recovering'?"

Andrea walks over, surprising me when she puts her arm around me, steering me away from the group whose eyes follow after me.

"After we found out Paul was responsible for what's gone on with your brother, we hoped he'd start to improve." Andrea's eyes hold a sense of apprehension as though there's something she's fighting to tell me. Or not tell me.

"What happened?"

"He really seemed to be improving, but a couple days ago," she pauses, her eyes pleading with me to remain calm. It'd be easier if she'd actually tell me what's going on. "He started clawing at the implant. Andrew was at the Cells, but we were able to contact him. He seems to know what to do with all of the Government's technical weaponry. Paul did some damage, but Andrew said he's lucky he's even still alive given the way those devices are set up."

"What sort of damage did he do?" I feel my heart squeezing in my chest as I wait for a response.

"The clawing tore up his neck. He had to have stiches. Past that, we haven't been able to tell much, but at least his mood has been stabilized since that episode."

I can't imagine how Paul feels. How horrible it must be to have voices that aren't your own controlling your mind, body and words.

"I want to see him," I say, starting to walk away, starting to walk toward where I assume he is.

"Felisha," Andrea catches my arm, pulling me back to where I was standing, "it may be best to wait."

"What do you mean?"

"We aren't for sure what caused his sudden outburst, but he kept mumbling about you and the Government." She looks apologetic as she continues, "Perhaps it'd be best to give you both some time to adjust before seeing one another."

I know she's right, but my heart hurts at the thought of not seeing my brother, especially given the fact he's here in the same building. Anger follows as thoughts of what may have led to his outburst trickle through my mind. Whatever the Government did to my brother, I will make them pay for, Paul especially. For weeks he masqueraded his harmful acts as helping us, helping me.

"He's in good hands," Andrea assures me, her hand rubbing at my shoulder.

"Thank you for everything you've done," I whisper, sadness clawing at my throat. She had to go behind Kane's back. She had to betray someone she loves, just like I have.

Andrea rolls her eyes, surprising me with a hug.

"If you ever say anything to anyone I'll swear on my life I never said it," she holds me tight, chuckling, "but I missed you around here."

Pulling away, I laugh as tears catch in the corners of my eyes.

"I must have you heard you incorrectly."

Andrea flips her deep brown hair over her shoulder, sauntering away. "Push it and I'll take back what I said."

A/N~ Here's a special chapter a few days early in celebration of Valentine's Day. I meant to post this earlier today, but the day seemed to slip away. I hope everyone is doing well :)

Questions: 

1.) Ask me some questions if you have any, and feel free to leave some questions below for your fellow readers as well!

Until next time,

Sarah

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

502K 27.7K 48
The Year Rules were simple. Year 1- Crawl Year 2- Walk Year 3- Talk Year 4-Start learning second language Year 5- Start school Year...
10.4K 1.2K 40
"𝗪𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗳𝘂𝗰𝗸..." 𝗜 𝗵𝗲𝗮𝗿𝗱 𝗮𝗯𝗼𝘃𝗲 𝗺𝗲. 𝗜 𝘀𝗹𝗼𝘄𝗹𝘆 𝗿𝗲𝗺𝗼𝘃𝗲𝗱 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗮𝗽𝗸𝗶𝗻 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝘄𝗮𝘀 𝗼𝗻 𝗺𝘆 𝗳𝗮𝗰𝗲 �...
71.9K 4.3K 30
The Year Rules were devastating. Year 7- Beginner Test Year 8- Volunteer Year 9- Five Part Testing Year 10- Academy Prep Course 1 Year 11- First Sc...
2.9K 150 30
Completed! #1 in government conspiracy as of 10/19/18 #6 in outbreak as of 10/10/18 #7 in corruption as of 8/12/18 #62 in apocalypse as of 8/7/18 #1...