Booksmarts

Od s4crilege

Years of competing made it easy for Alinna to resent Mason. As they decide to push their hatred aside and wor... Více

authors note
prologue
chapter 001
chapter 002
chapter 003
chapter 004
chapter 006
chapter 007
chapter 008
chapter 009
chapter 010
chapter 011
chapter 012
chapter 013
chapter 014
chapter 015
chapter 016
chapter 017
chapter 018
mason. 19

chapter 005

33 4 1
Od s4crilege

AMIRA SHOOTS HIM A SUSPICIOUS look,

"Okay...so I still don't really know you. She turns and looks at me, mouthing "Do you know this man?" Not-so-subtly pointing to Dylan while pulling out her phone.

Time to face the music Alinna.

Turning around to face Dylan, I stammer. "Hey Dylan! Uh...Whatcha doin' here?"

Embarrassed I got caught, I lower my head down and my eyes zero in on the lavender checkered tile floor. It's not my fault really. I mean, I didn't intentionally mean to blow him off. Technically, I didn't even agree so... is it really blowing someone off?

Sorta.

"My little sister wanted to grab froyo with her friends so I drove them, not that it matters. But I mean, I would've appreciated if you at least told me you weren't interested going out with me, instead you ran off?" He frowned.

I quickly start apologizing, "I am so sorry Dylan. Really, I am. I've just been so caught up with school and-"

The door bell jingles, interrupting my apology. Suddenly a pair of arms hug my waist. Making me breathe in the familiar sandalwood scent. I knew exactly who this was.

Freaking Lukas.

Clearing his throat, he chimes in. "Me. She's also been caught up with me so... run along now." Smirking, he leans closer into my neck and whispers. "Just play along with it."

Annoyed, I harshly whisper back. "No Lukas, I just really wanna explain my-"

A pained look stretched across Dylan's face, he interrupts.

"No it's fine, really whatever. I just wish you should've told me you weren't available." It was clear he was uncomfortable. Hurt was evident in his voice. Before I could explain any further, he strolls out of the shop to meet his sister and her friends out front.

Flipping around I angrily shove back Lukas and sit down at the table where Amira was sitting. I loudly groan and place my head against the table with my arms covering my surroundings, making me see nearly pitch black. Amira's hand rubs my back in circles and I start mumbling incoherent profanities under my breath.

With my voice slightly muffled, I cry, "WHY. DID. YOU. DO. THAT? ACTUALLY–HOW DID YOU EVEN GET HERE? WE DIDN'T EVEN TELL YOU WHERE WE WERE GOING!"

I hear small shuffling until Lukas sputters. "I-I didn't know you wanted to talk to him. Alinna I'm sorry, Amira texted me where she was and told me that there was this weird guy and I thought you both were in trouble so I chased him away for you. Plus I'm..not alone"

Looking up, I notice Mason sitting right beside Lukas, scrolling through his phone.

I slam my head back down and groan, "Really? You thought we were in danger so you brought that idiot along with you?"

He raises his hands defensively. "Hey he was already with me, I didn't think I'd want to start off tutoring a kid by leaving him on day one."

Scoffing, I sit back up. With my eyes still glossy, Amira sympathetically hands me her froyo cup and throws her arm around my shoulders. "I'm sorry love, I just really thought you were in trouble, please forgive me? I'll even help you set up another date, okay?"

I give her a small smile and rest my head on her shoulder. Deeply sighing, I grab her froyo cup and start drowning my feelings in chocolate frozen yogurt. Mason looks up from his phone, noticing my heartache, he added,

"Actually, you probably would've not liked him anyways. He always talks back to his mom, and HATES pop music. If you got to know him more, you would've realized that he wasn't right for you."

What if he's right? Maybe I dodged a bullet.

It was still really shitty of me to do that to him though.

You're right.

Nodding at Mason's words, I turn to face Amira, "Do you want to have a sleepover with me and another friend tonight?"

Her face lit up and she squealed. "Yes of course! I've never been invited to a sleepover before!"

Lukas digs his spoon into Amira's froyo cup and chimes in,

"I'm down for a sleepover! What time besties?"

Amira and I shoot him a serious glare. I turn back to Amira and give her all of the details for our sleepover, including what to wear, what snacks to bring, and what movies to watch. As I pull out my phone to get Amira's number, I notice something from the corner of my eye, or...more like someone.

Aurora Robins.

I think I already saw enough of her today. But I guess that didn't stop God since she's here in the same froyo shop as I am. Her golden blonde hair was enough to make people stare. But it doesn't stop there, she has striking sapphire eyes and sun-kissed skin. She was all-around gorgeous. She's not royalty, but she could definitely be mistaken for it, I won't be surprised if she unlocks the ability to talk to animals or something.

Aurora walks over to our table and wraps her slender arms around Mason. I'm going to honest here, Mason does NOT seem to be enjoying it. But that doesn't stop her, her hair falls onto Mason's chest as she leans into his ear, whispering words that I am NOT interested in hearing.

Amira slides closer to me and mutters. "Uhh...Who is that?"

I lean even closer, my eyes not leaving the two, I whisper. "She's a girl from our school."

She nods her head in understanding and continues to eye the pair, "Are they...dating?"

I shake my head, "No, they're not dating, at least I don't think? I don't really keep up with their lives."

A tight nasally voice grabs our attention. Aurora snaps,

"What are y'all lookin' at? Huh? Don't y'all have better things to do?" Glancing between the two of us, we fall guiltily silent.

Lukas is fed up, and stands up, prying her off of Mason. "Listen lady, I do not know who you are but we are very busy right now. Raincheck mkay?" And shoos her away from our table.

Aurora scoffs, with her eyes blazed with anger, she flips off our table and sits down in her own seat across the shop. All of us struggle to contain our giggles, but that was up until Amira bursts out in fits of laughter, then everyone started to laugh. Wiping away a stay tear from her eye she snorts.

"Why was that so funny? Oh gosh that was hilarious."

Lukas snickers, "I know right? Did she think that'd offend us?" He turns to Mason curiously asking. "What did she even say to you?" Amira jumps in. "Mason please do not answer his question, I am not interested in hearing whatever she said to you."

So true.

Aww, c'mon aren't you a little curious?

As curious as I am, I'm trying to preserve my innocence thank you very much.

I check my watch to see that the time was 7:25pm, It was getting late, so I started packing my things and tugged on Amira's arm.

"We gotta go to my house it's gettin' dark outside." She nods and starts packing her things up as well. Before leaving I grabbed Lukas's phone number and said my goodbyes. Opening up the doors I grin at Amira, saying. "Race you to my car. Whoever loses has to drive" A determined look overtook her face,

"Bet." Dashing to my car, she gained the lead on me, almost winning before I took a shortcut. Smirking, I let her open up the passenger side door for me. Groaning, she flatly asks.

"Keys?" Dropping them in her hand, I watch as she puts the keys in the ignition and slowly back out of the parking lot, almost hitting a cement curb, and a bright red fire hydrant.

Sheesh, this girl also can't drive.

Looking through the corner of her eye, her mouth twitches up. "I see you judging me, I am an awful driver okay? I hope you have insurance on this thing." I chuckle as I turn on the radio station, flipping through to find a song.

"Hey wait, I need to stop by my flat first to grab my things. Are you okay with that?" She says.

I nod my head agreeing, "Yeah no problem, but my parents might worry if I'm home late so don't take too long."

Hearing a song she recognizes, Amira yells. "ALINNA! TURN. THIS. UP!" I quickly twist the volume knob so that it blares throughout the car, making all of the other drivers stare in confusion. After awfully singing to the lyrics of "Kiss You" by One Direction, Amira pulls up to her "flat." Even though it's much better to call it an apartment, I'll just go along with it. The building was rustic. The brick architecture gave off a southern gothic feel. Willow trees were located on both sides of the building giving it an sinister yet, homely and warm atmosphere.

Swiftly hopping out the car door, she darts to the entrance of her apartment and yells. "I'll be in and out I promise!"

I yell back. "Okay!" And use this time to text Paris to meet at my house and telling her we'll have a guest joining us, she texts back in all caps.

>>>OMG WHO???? R U REPLACING ME ?!! :(

Shaking my head, with a faint smile on my face I text back,

<<<no idiot i am not replacing you, but i made a new friend today and i want her to join us !!

Not even eight seconds go by, Paris replies.

>>>im glad you made a new friend :D lol lord knows how much you needed other friends other than me and benny.

Hearing the car door open I jump up. Amira giving a puzzled stare she nervously laughs. "Uh girl chill out it's just me." She looks over my phone and asks. "Awh are you and your friend trash talking about me?" Jokingly sticking out her bottom lip to form a teasing pout.

"No! How'd you figure it out? Sorry to say this but I'm only friends with you for the test" I mocked her exaggerated lip pout.

Looking back, trying to pull out of the driveway Amira laughs. "HA! To be honest, you're probably telling the truth right now." Arching my brow I satirize,

"What do you mean "probably" babe I AM telling the truth." She hits me on my arm and sticks her tongue out at me and I do the same.

We decide to do another round of carpool karaoke, screaming at the top of our lungs to whatever's on the radio. 15 minutes later, we arrive at my house. I close my car door and helped lug Amira's bags into my room. The exterior of my house was almost identical to Mason's. But the big difference is the interior. I remodeled my parent's home's entire interior design when I was 14 years old. To this day, I still get compliments about it–including right now.

"You have GOT to be kidding me. You are living in a dream home, It's just...wow."

Pride ran through my system. I couldn't help but show off one of my best designs. The reason I want to go to the Academy is to pursue my dream and become an Interior Designer and they have the BEST program specializing in Art & Design.

"I agree, isn't it gorgeous?" My mom leaned on the side of one of the entryways. She walks towards us and explains. "Paris is upstairs waiting on you and....she told me you had a new friend with you. Is this her?"

Amira sticks her hand out and shakes my Mom's hand. "You have such a beautiful home Mrs.Windham." Beaming with fascination and wonder.

"Aww thank you, but please don't thank me, thank Alinna." She preaches.

Her eyes almost bulging out of her sockets she gasps, "NO freaking WAY!"

I scrunch my nose, "It's not that big of a deal to be honest."

Liar. You loved showing it off and bragging about it in middle school.

Okay well, I'm trying to appear humble so shh.

The interior of the home was crisp. A grayish cream color adorned the walls, contrasting with the pop of colors I added like plants and accent pieces. The living room furniture had brown sofas with vintage throw pillows added for a more welcoming feel. Huge glass window panes surrounded us, allowing us to look over the lake view. It was gorgeous in the morning but at night, it made me a bit paranoid. But every design has its flaws right? Unique geometric light fixtures stemmed from the ceiling, providing warm lighting to contrast the midnight view outside.

"Well, you girls go up to my daughters' bedroom, if you ever need anything, let me know. M'kay?"

Amira nodded in agreement. "Yes ma'am." As my mom walks off into the kitchen, I drag Amira upstairs. Passing all of the extra bedrooms and bathrooms we finally make it to my room. She pants loudly. "Is this how you maintain your figure? Because just walking up to your room was SOME workout, Wow." Paris overhears our voice, opening up my door she pulls us both in for a hug.

"I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR Y'ALL" She scolds harshly.

Giving her an apologetic look, I hug her again. "I'm sorry Paris, we should've came earlier." Paris turns to Amira and gives her a once-over. It was obvious Amira was nervous if Paris liked her. Fidgeting with her fingernails, and her eyes wandering around my hallway, she patiently waited for Paris's silent judgment to be over. Surprised, Paris pulls her in for a death-gripping hug.

"YOU ARE SO GORGEOUS!" Paris exclaims. Making Amira's face light up, smiling. Paris drags her into my room and before I enter, my phone buzzes. Pulling my phone out of my pocket and unlocking it, I receive a text message.

From Mason.

>>>I'm sorry that I didn't defend you earlier

Baffled by the message, I leave him on read.

Since when did he care about me and my guy troubles?

Since when did he care?

authors note: sorry if its too long! but i wanted to try something new with the dialogue tags and tried to make it more descriptive :D

Pokračovat ve čtení

Mohlo by se ti líbit

17.5K 225 12
Will they win, or will their hunger take over? 18 objects. 12 stomachs to feed. 1 "prize." No food. Many characters from ONE including favorites such...
310K 10.6K 38
'I had guilt that ate me out from the inside and made me want to throw up. Guilt that started as a young child and continued to fester until I was do...
5.4K 1K 19
{ ᴏɴᴄ ʜᴏɴᴏʀᴀʙʟᴇ ᴍᴇɴᴛɪᴏɴ & ᴀᴍʙᴀꜱꜱᴀᴅᴏʀꜱ' ᴘɪᴄᴋ } Tate has been the bartender at The Imp's Bottle for years. The dive bar attracts a trickling array of u...
114K 8.9K 94
What if your body doesn't always do what you want it to do? For June, this isn't a question, but a daily reality. As a fourteen-year-old with cerebra...