His Duchess [Completed]

By shaerzam

Highest rank on romance hot list: #5. She is called The Ice Queen, due to her stoic non-readable features and... More

Prologue
Chapter 1-Rare Beauty [E] (Background info about the family)
Chapter 2-Shopping [E]
Chapter 3 The First Run-in [E]
Chapter 4-The Surprise Meeting [E]
Chapter 5-Silence [E]
Chapter 6- Curiousity [E]
Chapter 7- Closer Look [E]
Chapter 8- Meeting The Parents [E]
Chaper 9-His Desires [E]
Chapter 10- Feels So Right [E]
Chapter 11- Day dreamer [E]
Chapter 12-The King And His Queen [E]
Chapter 14- His Kindred [E]
Chapter 15- Calm Before The Storm [E]
Chapter 16- ER [E]
Chapter 17- Hide than seek [E]
Chapter 18- Let It Go [E]
Chapter 19- Hope [E]
Chapter 20-First Kiss [E]
Chapter 21- First Date [E]
Chapter 22- Irresistible [E]
Chapter 23- Dream Catcher [E]
Chapter 24- Hard To Get [E]
Chapter 25-He's In Love [E]
Chapter 26- The Heart Wants What It Wants [E]
Chapter 27- Love [E]
Chapter 28- Surprise Part 1 [E]
Chapter 29-Surprise Part 2 [E]
Chapter 30- The Dress [E]
Chapter 31- Beginning Of A End [E]
Chapter 32-Amnesia [E]
Chapter 33- The Wedding Part 1 [E]
Chapter 34- The Wedding Part 2 [E]
Chapter 35- The Wedding Part 3 [E]
Chapter 36- Misery Loves Company [E]
Chapter 37-Worth It [E]
Chapter 38- Epiphany [E]
Chapter 39- Auction Date [E]
Chapter 40- Mystery Solved [E]
Chapter 41- Second Chances [E]
Chapter 42- Revenge [E]
Chapter 43-Ashes [E]
Chapter 44-Sealing My Fate [E]
Chapter 45- Wedding Plans [E]
Chapter 46- A Winter Wonderland [E]
Chapter 47-Pure Bliss [E]
Epilogue [E]
His Camelia-Now COMPLETED...

Chapter-13 Miss Independant [E]

97K 3.9K 98
By shaerzam

Taverron Business Building

It was Monday morning as Annie maneuvered her Mercedes SL500 into the reserved private parking space conveniently attached to the T-building. It was a beautiful shade of gold with a black leather interior.  

Since dropping off her Range Rover into the local dealer last week right after her run-in with Julien's Porsche, Annie's been using her second car for means of transportation.

She loved her SL, it was her 24th birthday present from her parents last year. Sometimes, depending on her mood she liked using it instead of the Rover. It was fun to drive, smaller, faster, and sleeker. During the warmer temperate months it was her personal pick because the best part was when the top came down.  

Gathering her keys and handbag, she checked her rear view mirror and spotted Sonny and Cici parking in the empty parking spot next to her. She made her way to the main entrance that connected the parking structure and the building as Michael and Cici followed behind her.

Her ankle felt much better after lounging around all day yesterday, she tried not standing on it much, allowing it to heal. She barely limped while wearing her high heels. Glancing down at what she was wearing—a tight knee length pencil skirt, deep colored gold blouse and a short, waist length, leather/fabric jacket with specks of gold weaved into the fabric in the back. The ensemble was chic with a business type flare.

All three entered the elevator, Michael pressed the 30th floor button.  They occupied the highest floor which came along with some of the richest views of the city.

Annie, Cici and Michale stood next to each other straight across from the elevator doors watching the numbers light up for every floor they passed. Annie quirked an eyebrow realizing that they looked like well trained soldiers, standing side by side, tall, straight, but wearing their business attire instead of uniforms.

"Dad will be here in about an hour, he had a conference call in his study he had to conduct. Don't forget the St. James' will be here by noon." Cici reminded them, tapping her watch. "Once they see the offices, dad said he wanted to take them out to lunch, so be ready for that as well."

"Who's all coming? I mean is it the whole family or just the the old man and his son?" Michael asked curiously.

"It's probably Victor, Duncan and Julien. I hardly doubt Kate or her daughter are coming with them to look for corporate space." Annie supplied while looking at Cici who was rolling her eyes at Michael.

Cici turned her head, "Yeah, it's only the guys, like Annie said." Changing the subject she asked, "Sooo, does Sheila have a dress already picked out...? I didn't get a chance to ask you or her yesterday."

Cici being the nosey person she is, she couldn't help herself, she wanted to know everything.

"Yeah, she's been looking here and there for the past few months. She told me she was going to call you and Annie to help her narrow down a couple in order for the dress to be made in time."

"We're going to have to pay whoever she buys the dress from extra to have it done by March. Dresses always need changes and adjustments, always...besides that, you guys need to pick out flowers, color schemes, place settings, menu..." Annie trailed off.

"That's where you and Cici, mom and her mother come in. You guys help her pick all that stuff, knock yourselves out, and I'll worry about where the honeymoon's going to be." Both of Michael's eyebrows rise suggestively and sends both his sisters a wink just as the elevators doors opened.

He made his way out the doors while hearing them call him perverted behind his back. He smiled to himself while whistling toward his office. Annie and Cici split up as well each going in the direction of their offices.
*******
Annie was behind her desk typing up the last parts of her report. She looked at the clock on her desk, 11:45am. Taking a sip of her latte, she completed her report a few minutes later saving it. Closing her lap top she sat back in her chair closing her eyes.

She missed him. She missed Julien, it seems like she hasn't seen him in a long time and it's just been a day. She couldn't believe how she's become attached to him, needing him around her, this hollow inside her was odd.

Annie was shocked at her reaction to him and the feelings he stirred within her. And at the same time she felt vulnerable, pathetic, unsure, confused. This wasn't her, she felt like a stranger to herself. This one man managed to change her life completely in just a short span of time.

Sonny had always called her Miss Independent, shaking her head. Annie always played it smart, was self sufficient, calculating. Now, this connection with Julien, it's as if all of it just evaporated. It confused her, she didn't feel strong and independent. She partly hated herself for how she felt. The walls she's built around herself, protecting her, were slowly unraveling.

She wrapped her arms around herself as she stood looking out the window of her office. Thinking back to the events of the last two weeks. She's never been so accident prone in her whole life, not until she met Julien. Seems that fate throws them together, first the accident, then meeting him outside while walking with her father, then the dinner— falling into his arms and now his family coming today to see the potential business space.

"Oh, how the mighty have fallen..." Annie said to herself leaning against the glass window.

She heard a soft knock at her door. Annie glanced down to her clock, 12:00pm, it read. Annie cleared her throat, suddenly nervous, wondering if they arrived.

"Come in." She called out.

Her assistant Joe, peeked inside, coming in and closing the door behind him. He was a petite man, with brown hair and medium build. He was also homosexual and one of the most qualified applicants she interviewed. He's been with her for three years now and she considered him one of her closest confidants and friend. She loved having him around, he made the days go by faster.

"Hey, Miss. T, your dad's assistant notified of me of the arrival of the St. James'?" Quirking his eyebrows curiously.

All of a sudden she felt like butterflies were fluttering in her stomach. Placing her hand on her abdomen trying to calm her nerves, Annie took a deep breath. "Thanks Joe, they're looking for offices for their headquarters and they might occupy the open space across from us if they like it."

"Damn girl! I saw them in the lobby!" He told her snapping his fingers with attitude approaching her desk, "And I can tell you the one with the slicked jet black hair is fine, MmmHmm. What a man, what a man, what a mighty, mighty fine man!" As he recited a lyric from a nineties song while giggling.

Annie couldn't help but laugh, knowing exactly who he meant, Julien.

"Sorry to burst your bubble Joe, but I think he's straight," Annie informed him trying not to laugh, but ended up bursting with laughter when his expression turned sour. She hadn't had this much fun with someone in a long time she realized. It felt good to be carefree and have fun.

Annie went around her desk towards him, smiling. She wrapped her arm around his shoulders hugging him from the side. "Thank you for making me laugh, I needed it." Joe smiled up at her in return, wrapping his arm around her waist.

"Anytime, sexy thang!" Winking at her. Suddenly a frown, farrowed his face, "By the way, I finished up the paperwork on the Chang deal, man that guy is such a prick! I talked to him the other day, you know, to give him a update on the estimated arrival date of his yacht order. He went A-wall on me and I didn't understand a quarter of the things he said. I think he was cussing me out!"

Annie let out a full hearty laugh pulling her head back. Although Joe was being serious, he sweetly smiled up at her again.

"Don't take it too personal, he's always rude. As for the cussing, I don't know, he barely knows how to speak English..."

"Oh, honey don't you know? In most languages you learn the bad words first before the actual language!" He said dramatically.

"True." She agrees with a smile.  She released him grabbing her handbag and walking to the door on unsteady legs. "I better go, anything comes up call me. And go ahead and have your lunch early if you want, I'll be out for the next couple hours."
******
Annie and Cici met up outside their father's office. Cici looked towards their dad's secretary, "Is our father inside with the St. James'?"

"Actually, they were here a little early so Mr. Taverron took them across the way to view the business space himself. He asked me to notify you to wait for him across the street at the new sushi restaurant I made reservations at earlier." She said turning to her phone that started ringing.

Cici and Annie share a look and shrug, turing towards the elevators. Annie hadn't realized she was holding her breath and releases it to her relief. In actuality Annie wanted to turn, run, and hide. Her nerves were on edge.

They made it onto the main street, waiting for the street sign signal to flash WALK. The streets were busy with people, as taxis, buses, and cars moved by. They crossed the street and entered the new establishment and greeted by the host.  Cici spoke for the both and informed her of the reservation. 

Upon hearing the name the host's eyes widened and she immediately grabbed menus. "Follow me please."

They were led to a table located in the middle right, beside the indoor pond displayed. The pond was wide and deep, holding an array of large colored goldfish, and catfish. A small waterfall was coming out of a sprout gently splashing water into the pond. The restaurant had an overall tranquil feel to it as the soft mediating music wafted into the air.

They were the first of their party to arrive. Cici and Annie pulled their chairs and sat down along the rectangular table, closest to the pond. Annie clutched her thighs under the table, moving her hands up and down feeling anxious.

Cici noticed her odd behavior. "Annie is there something bothering you? You seem a little uptight." Slanting her body in her direction. Annie propped her elbows on the table putting her head in her hands.

"No, nothing is bothering me. I'm just overwhelmed with the amount of work I have to do before the weekend. I'm going to be at the hospital all day Friday." Annie lied smoothly.

She couldn't tell her about Julien. She wasn't ready to tell Cici or anyone yet. This was all new to her and she wanted to figure it out without influences, judgements or the pressure of watchful eyes. Annie was a little insecure when it came to Julien and these insecurities left her on dangling on the edge.

She was excited about seeing him and the image of his face before her eyes, sped her heart rate as her breathing came out heavier. At the same time she was uncomfortable, afraid, the more they interacted, the more she felt herself falling deeper and deeper for him. It was a fight she was well aware she was losing no thanks to her uncontrollable emotions. 

Cici frowned at her raising an eyebrow, "You're sure that's why, or is it something or rather, someone else?" She inquired, with a hint. Annie turned her head and glared daggers at her sister.

"Drop it would you?" She answers with her teeth clenched, rubbing the back of her neck. She wasn't about to spill her guts to Cici no less, she was exceedingly nosey, and always pried.

"Well, excuse me for giving a damn! I'm not the one that looks like they're going to bolt out the door! Shit Annie! You got it bad! Deny it all you want, I'm not blind. I see what's going on between the both of you."

Before Annie could reply they felt a presence behind their chairs, and a sense of doom washes over them. Both Annie and Cici stiffened at the same time and stare at each other with wide eyes.

Annie's heart lurched in her chest.  Her barely unstable composure was rapidly unraveling.  Knowing without glancing she sensed who it was.  She would recognize the stare boring into her back from a crowd of hundreds. 

"Good afternoon ladies."  Purred a smooth British voice.

The girls' eyes doubled in size.   They turn slowly at the same time. Their gazes clashed and met a fierce pair of gray eyes that held an amused glint within their depths.

Speak of the devil and he shall appear...it seems.

Annie and Cici both wondered how much he heard of their conversation...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please vote and share. Hope you all liked it.
Thanks Shaz.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

511 60 12
He is from london and she is from india. He is a red flag and she is colourblind, She wanted to be a Heart surgeon and He calls himself heartless ...
568 48 16
Tati is all grown up and her own woman. Tabloids refer to her as the ice princess because they think she is cold hearted and because a man she loved...
16.7K 1.9K 39
When Barbara, aka the Ice Queen, agrees to fake-date Ryan, their relationship unexpectedly develops as they struggle to move on from their past. ***...
554 62 26
"One more time and I'm losing it ". 😏 HIGHEST RANKING #8 - Pleasure #8 -Wealth #3 - Masculinity #2 - Masculine #8 - Michele #11 - Massimo #63...