Lowlives | hes au

By mothertongues-

Iris is one of the town's local prostitutes; she knows what it feels to be a bottomfeeder in society. She has... More

0. lowlives
1. here at pink panther
2. digging graves
3. medicine
4. money and dignity
5. rebirth
6. lone wolf
7. dark
8. chokehold
9. the trailer
10. freakish obsession
12. pathless
13. parasite
14. the lowlives
15. 1 in 1,989
16. control
17. afloat
18. revelations
19. rag dolls
20. distraction

11. repulsion

105 12 7
By mothertongues-

I woke up again at 11 in the morning when the culminated daylight shot its arrays brightly through the window and right onto my face. Nearly blinded, I tried covering the light with my forearm but it was no use. It was time to wake up.

I sat up on the bed, relieved to see that I had a shirt on underneath the blanket. But it was barely anything, I realized once I saw my bare thighs.

I looked around the trailer to find it empty. It was just me.

I got out of the bed and looked out the window, finding the two other people accompanying me outside the trailer, sitting on folding chairs and conversing in the bright wood grounds. My eyes immediately drew to the one with the dark curls and tatted arms; I didn't even notice the small gasp that escaped my lips at the sight.

I turned around from the window and let out a small 'shit,' as the memories of last night ran through my mind once again.

Scanning across the room, I looked for something temporary to put on. I couldn't go outside wearing the one I was wearing right now: it was too see-through.

Did I even have to go outside? I could just stay inside the entire time if I wanted.

But eventually, I would have to go.

I found a discarded black rolling stone tee laying on the floor and picked it up, soon replacing it with the soiled white tee by putting it over my head.

I beamed as I looked down at its hem. It was much longer than the white one's. I picked up the black-draped skirt I initially wore and put that on too: tucking the rolling stone tee into the band of the skirt. I went inside the bathroom to check out the outfit in the mirror and was pleasantly pleased. There was enough coverage for me to feel comfortable. I picked out a pink toothbrush that was reserved for me inside the bathroom cabinet. Due to my frequent visits here at the trailer, I had my own toothbrush. I clumsily brushed my teeth and rinsed the morning grime off my face with water.

As I went on my way to open the trailer door from inside, I once again was reminded of last night. I had no idea why I had done what I did or why I didn't just stop and pull away from Beau. But all of that was masked by my budding anger towards the thief. Towards Harry. How dare he look out the window and watch me in such a state from afar? And why, why on earth did I return his gaze in challenge?

I didn't know why I was feeling so exposed with the knowledge that Harry had seen me like that. My entire occupation consisted of me being seen in a far more open state by men. This shouldn't have even fazed me in the slightest. It was only right of me to pretend like I didn't care.

And that's what I would do. Act like nothing had happened or more precisely, act like last night's event did not bother me at all.

The moment I entered outside, both pairs of eyes were on me. I sped walked over to the empty folding chair next to Beau, immediately taking a seat. I kept my gaze controlled, making sure I did not look in the opposite direction where Harry was sitting.

"Had a good night's sleep?" Beau asked once I had settled into their atmosphere.

I turned to him, noticing the glow on his face. "Yeah. You?"

He nodded excitedly, "yeah." Through his tone, I could tell he was trying to secrete a secret message in his response. A response that really said, "Heck yeah, a good fuck always results in good sleep!"

From the distance, I could hear a stiffened chuckle. I frowned but controlled the urge to turn around and flash a dirty glare towards the person the sound had sourced from. I guess Harry also got the secret memo: how useless.

Beau didn't seem to notice or mind, as he looked very unfazed. He instead, focused his gaze on my shirt, clearing his throat before leaning over to my ear.

"Hey, what are you wearing?" He whispered.

I looked at him in surprise. "Your shirt? I found it on the floor and I was looking for something to wear—"

"That's not my shirt."

My eyes widened in even more surprise. "It's not?"

Beau shook his head, chewing on his bottom lip as he turned his gaze ahead, looking at Harry. I heedlessly followed his eyes, unawarely breaking the little no-looking-at-Harry game I had going.

My cheeks deepened ten shades of red when I locked eyes with the thief, who sat across from me on a folding chair wearing a devious smile.

"You like the Rolling Stones?" Was the only thing that escaped him. His friendly tone didn't match the sinister expression he was directing at me.

I bit my lip, turning back to Beau and completely ignoring the thief. "Oh. I didn't know."

Beau hoaxed a careless shrug. "So, what do you want for breakfast? I don't have much in my fridge but I do have some frozen hash browns in there."

"Actually, I think it's a good time right now for me to head back to Pink Panther," I objected quickly.

"Leaving so soon? At least stay and have breakfast with us before you go" Harry called out. The trace of enthusiasm I had in me dissipated at the conceited pout playing on his lips. I hated whatever innocent act he was putting on right now.

"No, I really have to go. Ester's probably so mad at me right now."

"She has no reason to be mad after what you went through because of her," Beau said sternly.

"Because of her?" I repeated in question. Of course I knew it was because of her, but did that mean Beau knew about Ester's debt too? He had to know: he was her son.

Beau shook his head, hinting at me to forget it. "You sure you don't want to stay for breakfast?"

"I have to go."

"I promise the hashbrowns aren't so bad."

I shook my head again. "I'm sure they are and I would love to stay back and try them but I really have to go." My eyes absentmindedly landed over Beau's shoulder, and onto Harry's gaze.

He stood nonchalantly with his arms behind him, cockily mouthing something to me: "bullshit."

I shook away and focused back on Beau's face. "So, what do you say? Are you going to take me back to Pink Panther?"

Beau nodded with a disappointed sigh, "if you must insist."

"Great, thank you."

"I'm going to get the car ready first, okay? Going to take me a little while, so just grab everything you need and wait here a bit." Beau showed me one final smile before walking to the car all the way behind the trailer.

Suddenly, all the comfort in the atmosphere fled with Beau. I immediately turned around and started moving quickly back to the trailer. I took my time trying to find my belongings which were scattered all over the bed and beyond, trying to shorten the free time I would have to spend waiting outside near him. Just as I was about to pick up my discarded top, I heard the trailer door open. Dammit, I didn't think he'd follow me back in here.

He didn't even have to say anything for me to turn around. 

He stood ruthlessly wearing the same stupid white bandana that crowned his messy morning curls. "What do you want?" I snarled before he could even start anything.

His lips broke out into an incredulous smile.

"After what happened last night, I think we both know what I want," He rasped.

I immediately turned my back to him, going back to folding my halter top. "I don't know what you're talking about," I said quietly from behind.

I nearly jumped when I felt his side brush against my hip. I instantly turned around and saw him grab a full water bottle on the nightstand. He innocently gestured the bottle at me, opening the cap to take a quick waterfall. He licked his wet lips, putting the cap back on before putting the bottle back on the nightstand, purposefully brushing against my hip once again.

He took a large step back, looking at me with a malevolent glint in his eyes. "You're a funny girl, Iris." He began. "Nice try, but last night isn't forgettable."

I gave a careless shrug. "You're going to have to pretend it never happened."

He shook his head skittishly. "Now that is hard. I can't do that so easily when that image of you has been playing in my head every second since."

I tried to hide the blush starting to make way across my cheeks. "Why are you here?" I asked through gritted teeth, tucking the folded top between the crease of my elbow.

He opened his mouth at the confrontation, pressing his tongue against his cheek whilst nodding attentively. He dragged his eyes over to the black tee I was wearing. "I came here to tell you that you look good in my shirt. Ravishing, actually. Couldn't exactly tell you that back there so..." He awkwardly pointed towards the window, towards the folding chairs outside.

I scoffed. "It's just a black tee."

He shook his head in opposition. "It's not just any black tee, Iris. It's a rare vintage Rolling Stones tee. Which brings me to my main point as to why I'm here: when are you gonna give it back?"

I bit down on my tongue, almost absentmindedly going to peel the hem of the tee up in cue, but stopped immediately. I looked to see the deep grin on his face as he waited for me to say something back.

"I'll be right back," I cleared my throat before standing up and taking the top in my hands, looping around him to head for the bathroom.

"Oh come on. It's nothing I haven't seen before," He said from behind.

I stopped in my tracks, looking over my firm shoulders and giving him an irritated glare.

"Relax princess. I haven't forgotten how you sold me out and even last night isn't enough to make me forget. I don't care how alluringly mesmerizing you looked because I'm still repulsed by your existence."

His words made the pressure around my shoulders ease a little, but my cheeks only burned a stronger shade of red. My glare was soon replaced by an amused look. "Well good. I am repulsed by you too."

"Just give me back the damn tee," He drawled, rolling his eyes dramatically.

I held back a small giggle and quickly headed into the bathroom, closing the bathroom door behind me and quickly switching out of the tops. When I resurfaced back outside the trailer bathroom, Harry had his back to me, fumbling with the items on the desk.

"Did you steal this too?" I asked as I walked over to him, handing back the shirt.

He turned back to face me, flashing a dimpled grin and taking the tee. "I'll never tell."

I rolled my eyes, running a hand down my spaghetti top and skirt to smooth any wrinkles out. "I'm gonna miss seeing you wear this," He announced as I was nearly done with smoothing the fabric of my skirt out. "It was a sight to behold."

I gazed up to see him looking at the crumpled tee in his hands with a fake look of mesmerization. "Oh, yeah? Was it better than whatever you saw last night?"

His nose scrunched in thought and he brought a finger to his chin as to ponder. "That's a hard question."

I didn't say anything back after that. I picked up an untouched Poland Springs bottle and some other tiny essentials I found would be helpful for later before leaving the trailer.

Harry followed me out right after.

"I hope to see you soon Iris," Harry said once he joined me outside.

"That's never happening."

"Why not?" He asked with surprise. "Aren't you seeing Beau again?"

My cheeks paled at the question and the smirk on his face strengthened as my silence only elongated.

Without another thought, I began to walk over to Beau's car. Beau peeked his head out the car window, ushering me to hurry up.

It was an awkward and agonizing ride back to Pink Panther. It was filled with Beau casually speaking up after an awkward moment had passed, and me giving out another awkward response just for everything to cycle back around.

"What are we Iris?" Beau finally asked as we made a turn to the lane Pink Panther was down in.

"What do you mean?" I asked back unsurely.

"Where do we stand? After last night?"

I crossed my thighs tightly together in anticipation, hoping the car would just reach Pink Panther. We were already so close and just a kilometer away. "I don't know," I mumbled out in defeat, barely audible.

"I told you I loved you yesterday."

"And I don't have to reciprocate the feeling," I said back quietly.

"I know that. But what does all of this mean? I need to know. I'm tired of this same cycle we keep winding down."

I sighed, intertwining my fingers tightly on my lap. "I was craving comfort last night and that was the only way..."

He let out a sigh. "Thanks for being honest."

I didn't know what to say back. The expanding pressure on my lungs deflated when I looked out the window and was relieved to see that we had finally arrived by Pink Panther.

I quickly exited out of the car and was surprised to see Beau also exit out. I was hoping he'd just drop me off; it would save me one less scolding from Ester.

"I have to talk to my mother. You can go right on ahead," Beau answered my unspoken curiosity.

I returned a small, grateful smile before walking up to the doors of Pink Panther.

As soon as I opened the doors, the gust of cheap perfume and booze filled the air around me and lingered over my nostrils. I was home.

this week's been pretty shit but writing this has been one perk :)

this chapter's pretty eh/fillerish ik but i promise next chapter is kind of where it all begins :)))

unedited

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14.4K 597 32
𝙱𝙾𝙾𝙺 𝙾𝙽𝙴 𝙾𝙡 πšƒπ™·π™΄ π™·π™΄π™Έπš‚πšƒ πšƒπšπ™Έπ™»π™Ύπ™Άπšˆ _____________________________ The fate lies in 𝐓𝐇𝐄 π‡π„πˆπ’π“. It's within three hundred mil...
15.8M 324K 100
I hate her, I hate her, I fucking hate her. If she died right now, I wouldn't care. My main concern would be how I would get my money for this stunt...
3.7M 80.9K 77
in which joelle d'amore is completing her final semester of university in the grand city of los angeles, california. when she finds herself in the pr...
635K 11.5K 95
[COMPLETED] 18+⚠️: Contains mature and sexual content // enemies to lovers "I hate you." I repeated as I continued to walk toward her, causing her t...