Moonlight House (Book 2, Lons...

Av moudenes

Moonlight House, the "it" place to eat, have a drink, dance to great live music and meet new people, becomes... Mer

Chapter 1 - The Club
Chapter 2 - Purple
Chapter 3 - Surprise
Chapter 4 - Flairtending
Chapter 5 - Roommates
Chapter 6 - Safe
Chapter 7 - Sommer
Chapter 8 - Glow
Chapter 9 - Chocolate
Chapter 10 - Damaged
Chapter 11 - Crush
Chapter 12 - Sous Chef
Chapter 13 - Imperfect
Chapter 14 - Tea
Chapter 15 - Key
Chapter 16 - Reasons
Chapter 17 - Compensation
Chapter 18 - Tried
Chapter 19 - Second Date
Chapter 20 - Sleep Talker
Chapter 21 - Red Blur
Chapter 22 - Birthday
Chapter 23 - Glass
Chapter 24 - Confessions
Chapter 25 - Dinner
Chapter 26 - Five
Chapter 27 - Grounded
Chapter 28 - Deli
Chapter 29 - Pink
Chapter 30 - Stitches
Chapter 31 - Back
Chapter 32 - Schedules
Chapter 33 - Movies
Chapter 34 - Truth
Chapter 35 - Next
Chapter 36 - Presents
Chapter 38 - Flutters
Chapter 39 - Answers
Chapter 40 - Bed and Breakfast
Chapter 41 - Stars
Chapter 42 - Empanadas
Chapter 43 - Braveheart
Chapter 44 - Fifty
Moonlight House - The Playlist

Chapter 37 - (Un)Happy New Year

3.3K 217 35
Av moudenes

SAM

Everyone around me is in a celebratory mood and I'm sulking. I've been planning this moment for a while and never expected the turn of events. I wanted to go home, be alone and work through my disappointment, but Erin insisted I stay.

"Here you go, Sam," Rory hands me a beer and I can only mutter thanks.

"How are you holding up?" Erin places her arm around my shoulders, takes a sip of my beer and kisses my cheek.

"Same," I grunt.

"Will you call her tonight?"

"I don't think I should bother her. She went to the hospital earlier so she will probably be resting or spending time with her family."

Marisol got a call from her mother yesterday morning to say her father had a fall while trimming a tree. His health has been shaky in the past months and according to Marisol his stubbornness made him go back to his business before he was allowed to by his doctor. He felt lightheaded while working, couldn't hold the ladder properly and fell. He broke his hip and had a serious concussion. Marisol apologized for not being able to spend New Year's Eve with me and drove to Oakheart to help her mom. Before she left, I asked her if she wanted me to go with her, but she declined. I felt left out and wondering if she ever wants me to meet her family. 

I'm not the greatest at phone conversations, so it took all my effort to call the new hotel at the pier in Lonstino and talk about my plans with their events manager. She was more than eager to help me give Marisol an unforgettable evening. I booked a suite overlooking the water and arranged for an intimate dinner in the room. The hotel is hosting a ball with big band jazz which is Marisol's favorite music and I was looking forward to dancing with her, drinking champagne and watching the fireworks at the pier. That's the moment when I was planning to get down on my knee to ask her to be my wife. I had to cancel everything.

"Sam, everything will be alright," Erin moves a curl on my forehead back and I take in her outfit.

"You look really pretty by the way," I say to change the conversation topic.

"So do you. I'm glad you decided to stay here tonight. I know you had it all planned for her, and you will get your chance to ask her again."

Changing the topic didn't last for long, but who's better to open my heart to than Erin.

"I feel disappointed but also guilty for feeling like this. I completely understand that she needs to be with her family, but I gave so much thought about how I wanted this night to happen. It also annoys me that she didn't want me to go with her. If she accepts to marry me, they will become my family, in good and bad times."

Erin gives me a hug and while looking over her shoulder I see Matt walking in the club. He greets people and shakes hands with the staff as he comes in. He's in dressy black clothes like me, but looks ready to work as he rolls a small suitcase and has a camera bag hanging from his shoulder.

"Your guy is here," I say to Erin as we separate.

"You made it," she says to him after they kiss. My annoyance goes up a notch. "I was starting to get worried."

"Traffic to get here was mental. I'm grateful you saved me a parking space in the back lot, because there's no way I could have parked in the streets. The queue outside goes around the block. Aha, the screen is ready."

"We also started the beamer as the rental company suggested. Do you want to test now before we let people come in?"

"Exactly my thoughts."

Matt and Erin move to the small sound booth to connect his equipment to display a broadcast of the midnight countdown and the fireworks show from the Lonstino pier. Erin suggested the idea yesterday after I shared my failed plans with her, and even though it is a good one, it feels like a poke on my figurative wounds.

"I only hope everyone in the queue has a ticket for tonight," Adam leans on the bar next to me. "Otherwise we'll have to dose people in as others leave. Do you know what's bothering Claire? She's been acting strange and I was hoping we would talk, but she's been avoiding me."

I know what's bothering her, but it's not my place to discuss it. "We've been too busy in the past days to catch up. Did you have an argument or something?"

"No, we didn't. Things cooled off between us and I think she'll break up with me," he sighs deeply.

"Why do you think she'll break up with you?"

"She's not stayed with me since Christmas. I didn't have a chance to talk to her before her shift ended, and she went home, so I don't know if she's coming tonight."

"I'm sorry to hear that."

Gianna and Jordan arrive at the club. Jordan laughs while Gianna blushes. Noah sees them and walks towards them. 

"What's going on?"

"Wilson gets under my skin," Gianna protests.

Jordan has to wipe the tears from laughing. "He pretended he didn't know her and didn't want to let her in. A man in the queue said to her: hey lady, you've heard him already, you are not that special. Stop trying to cut in and get in the line!"

We know that Wilson only teases Gianna because he's fond of her.

Noah laughs and Gianna gives him a weak punch on his arm. "What happened then?"

"He let her in, of course, and then gave her a hug and a kiss. The face of the guy in the queue was worth a million."

Once our group is as complete as it can be, Erin and Adam group the staff and have a last run on the services of tonight and safety measures. Since I won't be working in the kitchen, I've offered help together with Gianna to wash glasses and any other errands needed. The first clubbers walk inside and look in awe at the decorations arranged by Erin. Tonight, also the second floor will be open to help with the flow of people.

Not even thirty minutes after opening, I'm cleaning broken glass from the floor while Gianna mops the alcohol spill. Jordan brings the first load of dirty glasses and we enjoy ourselves filling the dishwasher and making sure the bar doesn't run out of clean glassware. It reminds me of my cooking school years and the action-filled evening keeps my head distracted. In between, we enjoy the Moon Rocks show and the full dance floor. Matt moves around the club taking pictures to post in our website so people can download their memories. Adam chats with a pair of ladies, and one of them places her hand on his chest. He looks amused at the gesture. Adam has lost a considerable amount of weight since his heart attack and the female clubbers are showing interest in his new body.

Even though my plan was to go to Lonstino tonight, I wish Marisol was here. She would have enjoyed everything as well. I miss her, so I take my phone out and type her a message.

Hey love, how is everything going on there? X

The reply bubble appears almost immediately.

My mother is driving me slightly insane. Can't wait to be back with you. X

I miss you.

A photo pops up where she's making a face, you can see her mom in the back. It makes me smile.

You look beautiful even when your mom annoys you. If I don't talk with you later I want to wish you a very happy new year.

I love you, Sam.

I love you too.

Erin is right, I'll get another chance to ask her. With every day that passes, I'm more confident this is the woman I want to spend the rest of my life with. The short chat with my girlfriend has improved my mood and my attention is diverted to Adam trying to break a fight between the same ladies he had been talking to. One of them managed to rip the blouse of the other open and her bare breasts flash everyone. Our security guys intervene and bring them to the entrance. Unfortunately for them, they will have to celebrate their night elsewhere.

Midnight approaches quickly between alcohol, dances and sing-alongs and we start distributing small confetti bags, paper horns, and other silver party supplies to the clubbers.

"Moonlight people! What a night! Are you having fun?" Erin shouts at the crowd that replies with a loud, drunken cheer. "How are those resolutions coming? I see that drinking less is not one of them," she says, making people laugh. "You know, this is the time of the year to reflect on what we have done and the things we look forward to. Here at Moonlight House, we have been very blessed this year with marriage plans, new family members and even a baby on its way. Sometimes things don't go as planned, but it doesn't mean they are over. Sam, why don't you come over here?"

Gianna grabs the pack of tiaras from my hands and gives me a small nudge to walk towards the stage. I don't enjoy the spotlight and whatever Erin has in mind is making me very nervous.

"Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to introduce you to Sam García. If you have been here for lunch or dinner, you have enjoyed his delicious dishes. Sam had big plans for tonight that took a slight detour, but as his family, we have ways to make plans come true," she points at the screen behind us.

Marisol's surprised face fills the screen and my heart melts with happiness.

"Marisol, can you hear us?" Erin asks and before she can answer, people who I think are family surround her and compete for camera space.

"Hablen bajito, y un poco de aire, por favor," she says to them. "Now I can hear you."

"I believe there's something Sam wanted to ask you," Erin hands me a small velvet box.

I look at the box in my hand and smile at her cheekiness. She took it from my bedroom. Curious faces in the club watch my every move and Marisol looks confused. I get on one knee and a collective gasp comes from every corner of the club.

"Marisol, will you marry me?" I say to the camera on the laptop that Matt has turned towards me.

"ARE YOU SERIOUS?" Marisol shouts and the people in the room with her cheer. "YES!" Her affirmation comes too loud over the speakers and the people nearby have to cover their ears.

The club erupts in claps and cheers as well, and Erin and Noah grab me in a group hug. When I look at the crowd, I see Claire holding Adam's arm.

Fortsett å les

You'll Also Like

217K 7K 73
Delaney James has it all: a handsome husband who just made partner at his law firm, a gorgeous townhouse in NYC's Upper East Side, and a blossoming c...
576K 26.1K 52
Ximena Gaytan moves temporarily to the coastal town of Lonstino to work on her newest romance book and mend her recently broken heart, but will she f...
17.4K 1.9K 54
Loss united them. Will it also tear them apart? When her staff abandon her before opening her new restaurant, Sophie, an aspiring chef who refuses to...
400 6 30
Melody has had to grow up quickly. With the death of her father, her mother has become an alcoholic and her brother a wandering stray that only comes...