weaponry ; the mandalorian

By lolstark

"The horror you have committed is not who you are." - A feared bounty hunter finds himself partnered with an... More

cast
I : THE CAVE
I : ONE
I: TWO
I: THREE
I: FOUR
I : FIVE
I : SIX
I : SEVEN
I : EIGHT
II : THE LIGHT
II : NINE
II : TEN
II : ELEVEN
II : TWELVE
II : FOURTEEN
II : FIFTEEN
II : SIXTEEN
THE INBETWEEN
IIS: SEVENTEEN
IIS: EIGHTEEN
IIS: NINETEEN

II : THIRTEEN

1.1K 40 129
By lolstark

Jana had never felt more guilty than she had in the days that follow their departure from Nevarro. She had made Din promise her something terrible, but something necessary. She knows he didn't want to, and though she feels guilty, she can't seem to regret it.

If he's forced to choose between saving Jana or saving the Child, Din would have to choose the Child.

The journey through hyperspace doesn't provide much except for silence to think. After they had spent the night together where they sat on the Razor Crest's floor, Din had retreated up to the cockpit to seek solitude. Jana had remained in the hull for the mostpart, heading up the latter to offer her Mandalorian meals or rest in the cot-compartment.

His responses were always short, a simple yes, no, or thank you, occasionally addressing Jana as the nickname she so desperately loves. But other than that, they hadn't been interacting much.

Jana understands the distance without needing it explained to her. Din isn't angry, or frustrated; He's sad, and knowing she's the source of it makes Jana feel even more guilty.

More than anything she craves his touch, his voice. She misses him even though he's just a latter away. It had been two days of traveling, two days of silence, but it felt like forever. But if space is what he needs, Jana will give it to him. The promise he had been sworn to is a lot to process for both of them.

She found herself praying a lot. In the silence Jana speaks to the Killshots that reigned the galaxy before her, asking them for clarity and guidance as they continue their quest. On her knees, Jana had prayed for safety and blessings and waited for responses in her quiet worship within the hull of the Razor Crest.

When Jana feels the Crest jolt as they come out of hyperspace she knows they've arrived at their destination. Having just finished twisting her hair into two tight braids that lead to a single bun at the bottom of her head, Jana climbs the latter to enter the cockpit, seeing Din's chair facing forward, the Child sitting on the control panel beside him.

Looking through the Razor Crest's glass, Jana tilts her head as she sees the planet. She had never been to Corvus before. Bo-Katan had said it's a forest planet, so in her mind she pictures the luscious green woods of Sorgan, a place that made an impression on her. Instead, the planet's surface looks rather grey, a few parts of it seemingly on fire.

"That's Corvus?" Jana asks, raising a brow.

Din's helmet turns slightly at the sound of Janas voice, "Yes. This is the place. I've detected a beacon. I'm gonna start the landing cycle," Then, the Mandalorian looks over to the Child as he speaks, "You better get back in your seat."

Jana sits down in the chair that had been designated as hers at Din's words, buckling in as the Child remains seated, his head tilting slightly as he sits, "Hey," Din firmly scolds, "What did I tell you? Back in your seat."

Silently watching the Child as he climbs off of the Razor Crest's control panel and over to his chair, Jana wants to say something. She's been in the quiet for two days, and the thought of more makes her head hurt.

When the Child is situated, Jana watches as he raises one of his hands, eyes closing in concentration. Then, the metal ball from one of the lever's flies through the air to the Kid's hand without Din noticing.

With his favourite toy now in his hands, the Child looks over to Jana, as if he realizes her had been caught, and the brunette just gives the little monster a small smile. If Din doesn't realize it's missing, it can't be that important.

---

Corvus' surface is humid and foggy, and the trees are sparse, making Jana frown as she walks out of the Razor Crest beside Din to scope out the area they hand landed, the Child trailing behind them. In the distance there are huge beasts that seem to eat the trees, and Jana just hopes none of them get too close to the Crest, the poor ship had been through too much already.

Hearing the Child coo, Jana turns to see him falling to sit on the ramp, metal ball in hand.

Din, who had turned at the same time as his partner, lets out a small sigh, approaching the Child and kneeling in front of him, "What did I say about that?" He takes the ball, "This needs to stay on the ship," Pocketing it, Din looks around the area, his helmet tilting towards Jana, "Not much to see out here."

Jana looks to Din, who is waiting expectantly. Despite the love she has for the man, Jana suddenly feels unsure in her own skin. Is he trying to make small talk?

Not knowing what to say, Jana just gives him a small shake of the head and tries to avoid his gaze, "No, there isn't."

"You've had dealings with Jedi before?"

Jana nods, "If you count being in one's service as a dealing."

"What about the other one?"

Jana remembers the fight; the green sword that had deflected her blasts so efficiently and refrained from taking her life when it had the chance, "We fought. He won," Jana mumbles, "He knew me from our childhood, so he let me live."

"I see," Din kneels, picking up the Child and setting him in the satchel around his shoulders, "Let's head into town, see if we can pick up a lead."

Not saying anything, Jana walks beside Din in silence, not quite as suffocating as before. Every now and then he mutters for her to watch her step, or to help her over a fallen tree, but other than that, they're quiet.

They're quiet, and Jana hates it.

When they reach the outer walls of the city, Jana doesn't like what she sees. The barrier is tall and menacing, and stationed along the top of it are several gunmen. Furrowing her brows slightly, Jana counts the weapons and identifies their models in her head.

A man in armour stands above the gate, and Jana only looks up at him when he calls down to the set of partners, "State your business."

Din is the one who speaks for them, "Been tracking for a few days. We're looking for a layover."

"Nice armour," The man says in response, taking in Din's beskar in all of its glory, "You're hunters, then?"

Din nods, "That's right."

"Guild?"

"Last we checked."

The soldier next to the authority figure says something, drawing the man's attention for a moment before he speaks again, "Open the gates."

When the doors groan open, Jana and Din share a short glance before they head into the town, whose streets smell foul.

Looking around, the place seems grey and filled with tension, immediately Jana can feel it weighing on her shoulders. Every citizen she looks at shrinks from her gaze, each of them wearing tattered clothing in need of mending. The buildings and homes are dirty and poorly maintained, overall, the town seems like it's suffering within the walls, broken droids wandering around and armed guards seemingly everywhere.

"I have a bad feeling about this place," Jana mutters as quietly as she can, seeing Din's helmet tilt down to her as he hears her words. Under her cloak, her hand sets itself onto the grip of her blaster for her own peace of mind.

Looking for direction, Din walks them up to an old woman who seems like she's a merchant, a table in front of her with many objects, "Pardon me, vendor, have you heard of anyone-" However, the woman walks away, and Din's words stop.

Raising a brow, Jana spots movement in an alley. She sees a man crouched before two siblings, seemingly giving them food. Hesitating slightly before taking a few steps forward, Din behind her, Jana keeps her voice as gentle as she can, trying not to startle the small family, "Excuse me," She says politely, drawing the older man's attention, "We're looking for some information. We're looking for someone."

The man rises to his feet, usering his children to head the opposite direction as he approaches Jana with his hands out, "Please, do not speak to them, or to any of us."

Jana's lips part, and she is surprised at the request, more specifically, the fear in the request. However, before she can voice her concern, Din speaks.

"Look, we just need to know-"

"The Magistrate wants to see you."

Both the Mandalorian and the Sharpshooter slowly turn at the voice that comes from behind them, seeing a set of soldiers, their faces covered with dark gas masks behind them. Wordlessly, the partners share another short glance before they follow one of the guards to a gate with walls within the town.

However, what catches Jana's eyes are the poles on the outside of the walls. They have citizens strung up on small platforms, every few seconds electricity jolts them and if Jana didn't look away, she's sure she'd see one of the prisoner's skeletons through their skin.

"Help us," One of them begs as they approach the gates, and the pained sound sends chills down Jana's spine, "She'll kill us all."

The outer set of doors open, and after shifting the satchel containing the child to keep him concealed, the partners step through them, waiting for the set in front of them to open.

When they do, it's like stepping into another universe.

The courtyard is lush and bright, trees surrounding ponds on either side of the pathway that leads to a tall home. There's a woman in well made robes sprinkling some kind of food into the ponds, a single guard with a spear by the castle doors behind her. How a ruler can live in luxury while their people suffer, Jana will never understand.

"Come forward," The woman whom Jana assumes is the Magistrate commands, snapping the partners from their trance. They listen, walking up to the woman until there are only a few feet between them, "You are a Mandalorian?"

"Yes," Din says.

"The beskar around her neck, she is your clan?" The Magistrate asks, barely glancing at the pair.

Again, Din speaks, "Yes."

"I have a proposition that may interest you both," The Magistrate says as she walks to the center of the pathway, looking between the partners.

"Out price is high."

"This target is priceless. A Jedi plagues me. I want you to kill her."

Jana does her best to remain neutral at the mention of the Jedi, "That's a difficult task," The brunette deadpans.

"One that you are well suited for," The Magistrate continues, "The Jedi are the ancient enemies of Mandalore."

"As I said," Din counters, shifting his weight to one hip, "Our price is high."

The Magistrate holds her arm out behind her, drawing the guard, who Jana now realizes is a droid, forward. She takes the spear from the robot, holding it with the blade faced towards the partners, "What do you make of this?"

Jana watches as the Magistrate turns the handle towards the Mandalorian beside her, showing off the weapon before holding it out with both hands. Jana follows Din as he walks up to the woman, taking the spear from her.

Din inspects the craftsmanship closely, taking a couple steps back before he hits the spear off his gauntlet, resulting in a loud, satisfying, drawn out ting!

"Beskar," The Mandalorian concludes."

"Pure beskar," The Magistrate adds, an unsettling smile drawing out onto her face, "Like your armour, and the medallion your partner wears. Kill the Jedi and it's yours."

At the mention of Jana, Din looks down to her briefly before finding the Magistrate's gaze again, "What do you have to offer her?"

"I'm glad you asked," The Magistrate smirks, holding her hand out again. This time, the droid places a bundle wrapped in black fabric into the woman's palms. Walking up to Jana, the Magistrate offers it th same way she presented the spear. Jana takes it, gingerly unwrapping the fabric to reveal an extremely well balanced dagger with a golden gleam, "Not beskar, but high in value just the same."

Jana inspects the weapon, lightly running her fingertip up the base of the blade. Even as she barely touches it, she feels how sharp it is. It's a beautiful weapon, and Jana feels the appeal of it right away.

Nonetheless, Jana wraps the dagger back up in its cloth, returning it to the Magistrate, Din doing the same with the spear before he asks, "Where do we find this Jedi?"

---

With the information they need, as well as a set of coordinates, the same man that had allowed them to enter the city walls walks them to the gate. The Jedi haunts the forests surrounding the town's walls, they had been told.

As they stand before the woods they had walked through before, they stop, Din in the middle of Jana and the guard. The Child coos from the bag he's nestled in, drawing the man's gaze.

"What is that thing?" He asks out of curiosity.

"I keep it around for luck."

The man blinks at them, "You're gonna need it where you're headed."

Neither of them responding, Jana and Din start walking to the barren trees that await them, fog surrounding the pair.

The Jedi is said to live deep within the trees, so, they walk for many hours, the sky starting to darken above them.

When they're ducking underneath fallen trees, Jana can't help but think about how badly her feet hurt in her boots. The Mandalorian is someone who moves forward constantly, the need for sleep and food very low on his list. If he feels any pain, or exhaustion, he doesn't let it show.

"Well, these are the coordinates," Din sighs as they slow their pace, "Keep your eyes open. We must be close."

In response, Jana reaches up to tap her implant, the dark crimson of the glass falling in front of her eyes so she can look further into the trees for any sign of life.

Suddenly, there's a rustling in the distance, and Jana's head whips to it, her hand finding her blaster immediately, "Did you hear that?" She quietly asks.

"I did," Din nods, walking over to one of the large rocks that seem to litter the forest floor and setting the Child down, "Don't worry," He tells the kid, sweetly, making Jana want to smile up at him, "Sit right there. Let us see what's out there."

Din raises a scope to his helmet, and Jana uses hers to look around as well, not seeing anything besides the huge beasts they saw upon landing munching on trees in the distance.

"False alarm," The Mandalorian breaths out.

Then, just as Jana is about to reach up to retract her scope, maybe suggest building a shelter for the night, there's a sound Jana recognizes from her days in the empire, and before she can register much, there's an orange woman with blue and white lekku attacking Din with a set of white lightsabers.

The Mandalorian raises his arms, using his beskar armour to protect himself from the attack. As the woman gets close to him, Din ignites his flamethrower, forcing her to flip away from him to avoid the fire.

Jana moves to stand in front of the Child as Din fires the wire of his gauntlet around the woman's arms, making them stay at her side and her lightsabers shut off as she's tied up.

She doesn't falter for long, looking up, the woman leaps to a great height over a tree branch, and as she falls back to the ground, Din is forced in the air.

As the lightsabers are re-ignited, Jana makes the connection in her brain, and she rushes forward as the Jedi cuts herself free, turning to attack again when Jana throws herself in front of Din, both hands raised.

"Ahsoka Tano!" Jana shouts, eyes wide as the woman meets her gaze, not moving but keeping her weapons at the ready, "My name is Jana Calmiken, this is my partner. Bo-Katan sent us. We need to talk."

Looking past the brunette, Ahsoka's expression softens, and she stands up straighter from her defensive stance, "I hope it's about him."

Turning, Jana's gaze finds the Child, sitting happily on the boulder Din had set him on just moments before. The lightsabers fade again, and Ahsoka walks up to the Child to examine him closely, Jana and Din following her.

---

When night falls, and the sky grows dark, Jana leans on a large rock, Din pacing back and in front of her as he had been for the last couple hours.

In the distance, Ahsoka and the Child sit across from each other, a lantern in between them. No words are heard, but Jana has a feeling from the occasional tilt of Ahsoka's head that they're communicating somehow.

As Din passes her yet again, Jana sighs, standing and walking to the Mandalorian, "Would you-" Jana pauses, about to lay her hand on Din's chest plate when she stops herself, looking at her own palm before lowering it back to her side. Her own hesitation makes her sad, aware of the little interaction she and Din have had lately, "Would you stop pacing? You're going to put a rut in the ground," She quietly says, keeping her voice hushed to avoid disturbing the pair of Jedi.

"I'm sorry, it's just," Din speaks, and Jana sees his hands clenching and unclenching, almost as if he doesn't know what to do with them, "It's too quiet."

For a second, Jana debates reaching out to take her partner's hand, hell, her fingers even twitch at the thought of it, but she doesn't move, she just nods before looking up to the Mandalorian's T-visor, "I know. I don't like it either."

"Cyare-" Din breathes, but then, when there's movement behind Jana, he stops. Jana turns to see Ahsoka with the Child in her arms, with Corvus' huge white moon as the backdrop. The Jedi seems to nod down at the Child before picking up her lantern and heading towards the set of partners.

Din and Jana move to meet them halfway. Before anything happens, there's a long moment when their new ally just looks between the Mandalorian and the Sharpshooter. Ahoska sets down their light before placing the Child onto a stone and sitting on one herself. Following suit, Jana sits across from their new ally, Din remaining standing.

The Child keeps his gaze on Ahsoka, tilting his head slightly as he babbles.

"Is he speaking to you?" Jana asks, her curiosity getting the best of her, "Do you understand him?"

Ahsoka sits up a bit straighter, tucking her hands inside the warmth of her cloak before her eyes settle on Jana, "In a way. Grogu and I can feel each other's thoughts."

"Grogu?" Din confusedly repeats from behind Jana. And to their wonder, the Child lets out a strong coo as he turns to face Din, ears up at full attention.

"Yes," Ahsoka says, "That's his name."

Jana can't help the astonished chuckle that escapes her as she looks to the Child, "Grogu?" She tests, her heart swelling in her chest when the little monster's gaze turns to her, a smile spreading over her face at the sight.

"He was raised at the Jedi Temple on Coruscant," Ahsoka explains, her smooth voice drawing Jana's attention, "Many masters trained him over the years. At the end of the Clone Wars when the Empire rose to power, he was hidden," Feeling Din's shoulder brush against hers, Jana nearly flinches as her partner sets himself beside her, his helmet tilted slightly as he listens with interest. Jana doesn't dare move a muscle, afraid she'd lean into him too far and make him put even more distance between them.

Ahsoka continues, "Someone took him from the temple. Then, his memory becomes... Dark," The word puts a frown on Jana's lips, a sense of sadness flooding her as she looks to Grogu, who seems to be getting sleepy, "He seemed lost. Alone."

There's a pause in Ahsoka's words, and Jana keeps her eyes on the kid, watching him as his ears turn down from his drowsiness, eyes slowly closing.

"I've only known one other being like this," Ahsoka says, "A wise Jedi master named Yoda," Grogu's eyes open, and he looks up to Ahsoka, who smiles at him, and Jana can't help but wonder what Grogu is expressing through his thoughts before he lets his eyes close again, "Can he still wield the force?"

"You mean his powers?" Din wonders.

Jana thinks to earlier in the day when he took the metal ball from it's lever, "Yes," Jana nods, fondly looking over to Din and his cluelessness, "He can."

Ahsoka's expression is kind as she looks to the Mandalorian, "The force is what gives him his powers. It is an energy field created by all living things. To wield it takes a great deal of training and discipline."

"I've seen him do things I can't explain," Din utters, looking to Grogu as he sleeps before bringing his gaze to Ahsoka, his helmet directing itself towards her, "My task was to bring him to a Jedi."

Ahsoka's expression turns from a kind one to a sad one, and her eyes refuse to meet Din's or Jana's, "The Jedi Order fell a long time ago."

Jana frowns, "So did the Empire, yet it still hunts him," When Ahsoka looks up at her, Jana's eyes are pleading, "He needs your help, Ahsoka. Please."

Ahsoka contemplates this, her eyes moving from Jana to Grogu as she lets out a sigh, "Let him sleep," She says, "I'll test him in the morning."

Jana lets out a relieved breath she didn't know she was holding, "Thank you."

"I have a small shelter over these hills," Ahsoka says, her head nodding in the direction she speaks of.

Din stands, "I'll take him there."

When Jana moves to join him, Ahsoka speaks again, "I'd like to speak with you, Jana."

"Oh," Jana breathes, remaining on the rock she had been sitting on, "Alright," Din carefully picks up Grogu, not disturbing him. Jana looks to him, giving the Mandalorian a reassuring smile, "I'll join you soon."

With this, Din walks off, and as soon as he's out of earshot, Ahsoka stands, walking over to Jana and offering her a hand. Looking at it wearily, Jana takes it, letting Ahsoka guide her in the opposite direction.

Arriving at a ridge, Ahsoka sits on the edge of it, Jana following suit.

For a long moment, neither of them speak.

Ahsoka is the one who breaks the silence, "I knew your grandfather," Jana looks over to the orange-skinned woman with interest, "I was a padawan during the Clone Wars, and your grandfather fought on the side of the Republic. We were in many battles together."

"I don't have any memory of him," Jana admits, looking down to her hands where they rest in her lap, "I only have what my parents taught me."

"That's not true. You hold his title."

At the mention of Killshot, the corners of Jana's lips turn up slightly. She had never thought about it like that before, "What was he like?"

Ahsoka smiles fondly, clearly searching her memory, "He was funny, and very kind. He treated everyone the same, Jedi, Senator, or Clone," Ahsoka looks over to Jana as she listens intently, "But he also carried at lot of pain with him. Conflict. I sense the same thing in you."

Jana swallows the nerves that seem to build up at her words, "Really?"

"He hated being Killshot as much as you do."

Jana thinks about it for a second, "I don't hate it," Jana slowly admits, "I hate what I was made to be because of it."

"You served the Empire."

Jana sighs, nodding, "They probably think I'm a traitor," Jana utters, looking up and out to the valley that rolls out beneath them, "And maybe I am. I don't think I was ever really theirs to begin with. All I know is that I did what I had to do."

Ahsoka nods, understanding, "Your grandfather said the same thing to me once," Jana raises a brow at the mention of the planet, "It's funny how the universe repeats itself, isn't it?"

"How so?"

"Before he fought with the Republic, your grandfather was forced to fight for the separatists, but he found his freedom. I fought with him on Mandalore before he lost the title," Ahsoka looks over to Jana with a playful smirk, "And you, a former imperial slave now traveling with a Mandalorian."

"Sounds like the start to a bad joke."

Ahsoka smiles at this, the expression growing soft before she speaks again, "I can feel the love you have for him."

Jana immediately nods, her chest growing warm, "He found me at a time in my life when I thought I lost myself. He brought me back. He's..." Jana trails off, trying to find her words, "He's the only good choice I think I've ever made."

Ahsoka nods, "Then why are you both so sad?"

The question throws Jana off slightly, and she can't meet Ahsoka's eyes when she speaks, "I made him promise me something," Jana breathes, "Something... Difficult."

"Difficult things don't go away until they teach us what we need to know," Ahsoka offers, making Jana think.

"Right," The brunette breathes, wanting to change the subject, "You said you were on Mandalore once?"

As Ahsoka starts a story, Jana can't bring herself to listen. She's too in her head. Difficult things don't go away until they teach us what we need to know.

Eventually, Ahsoka and Jana head to Ahsoka's small camp, Din leaning up against a large rock as Grogu sleeps on a makeshift bed a few feet away. Ahsoka softly bids Jana goodnight before she ducks into her shelter.

Not knowing if he's awake or asleep, Jana lowers herself next to her Mandalorian, cursing herself for making things between them so tense, so silent. Difficult. What had this taught her? Jana asks herself, coming up with only one answer; how desperately she wants to be with Din Djarin.

So, building up her bravery, Jana reaches for Din's hand, locking their fingers together, her shoulder brushing up against the beskar of his armour. When he holds her hand tightly, she knows he's awake.

"I'm done being quiet," She whispers, staring straight ahead. From the corner of her eye, she sees Din's t-visor look towards her, "You promised me that you'd choose Grogu, but I forgot to promise you something," Din's hand squeezes hers tighter, "I promise I'll do whatever it takes to stay with you. There isn't anyone I wouldn't take on to stay by your side," Jana takes a deep breath, finally looking over to Din, "My universe is you, and I'll fight for you every day."

When Din's hand pulls away from Jana's, her heat drops. She thinks that maybe she had admitted to much to him, that maybe she's foolish for mow much of her soul she trusts him with. She contemplates standing and finding a place to sleep somewhere else.

But then, Din's bare hand reaches up to Jana's cheek, and she immediately holds his wrist there, finally receiving the touch she had longed for in their silence, unexpected tears springing into her eyes at the feeling of his warm skin on hers.

"Cyare," Din says, voice just as quiet as hers had been as he brushes his thumb over the curve of her cheekbone, "You know what I need you to say."

Jana can't help but let out a breathy laugh as he repeats her own words back to her, "This is the Way."

"This is the Way."

Unable to keep herself back any longer, Jana leans forward, pressing her forehead to the cool metal of Din's helmet, "I'm with you, Tin Can," Jana whispers after a moment, not pulling away.

Din refuses to admit it, but he'll never grow tired of the silly nickname, "No matter what."

---

When the morning comes, it's like any ounce of tension had been washed away, and Jana is thankful for it. She feels energized knowing things are back to normal. Following Ahsoka through the valley, Din carrying the Child just a couple of steps behind, Jana looks around the area they arrive in.

On the gloomy, grey planet, they've found a patch of land covered in bright green moss.

Ahsoka stops, turning to Din and smiling down at Grogu. The orange-skinned woman utters, "Let's see what knowledge is lurking inside that little mind," While gently booping Grogu's nose, making a small smile settle onto Jana's face. When Ahsoka motions to a rock, Din sets the Child onto it.

"So what's the test?" Jana wonders, watching as Ahsoka crouches down to pick up a stone, Din settling by the brunette's side.

Ahsoka looks over at the woman, a small smirk growing on her lips as she holds up the small rock before turning her palm so it's extended towards Grogu. Then, Jana watches in wonder as the stone levitates through the air, leaving Ahsoka and slowly heads to the Child. As soon as it's close enough, Grogu catches it and examines it fondly once it's in his grasp.

Ahsoka keeps her hand out, "Now, return the stone to me, Grogu," She encourages.

Grogu looks down at the rock in his hands before glancing up at Ahsoka, seemingly unsure.

"He doesn't understand," Din states at the Child's hesitation.

"He does," Ahsoka counters.

Jana's brows raise at this, and she looks over to Din, who shares her surprise. Then, Jana frowns. The Child had understood her this whole time, and he is just refusing to fist bump her.

Ahsoka keeps her eyes glued to Grogu, "It's okay," She gently prods, "The stone, Grogu."

When he looks over to them, Jana gives Grogu an encouraging smile, seeing Din nod towards Ahsoka with his head. Waiting a second longer for the Child to do something, Jana sighs when Grogu seems to give up, dropping the small rock completely.

Ahsoka walks over to Grogu, crouching when she reaches him. Jana holds her breath when Ahsoka leans her head down, her hand taking Grogu's much smaller one as she quietly mutters, "I sense much fear in you."

A second later, when she stands, Jana gives her full attention to Ahsoka when she speaks to the set of partners, "He's hidden his abilities to survive over the years," She says, making a dull sadness wash over Jana as she looks to the Child. She had no idea. "Let's try something else," Ahsoka says, "Come over here."

The brunette looks to Din, who is nodding for Grogu to head over to Ahsoka, "He's stubborn," Din says about the Child.

Jana can't help the loving chuckle that escapes her, "I think she's talking to you, Tin Can."

Din's helmet looks from Jana to Ahsoka as he mutters, "Me?"

"Yes, you," Ahsoka nods, and Din heads towards her, "I want to see if he'll listen to you."

"That would be a first," Din states.

"I like firsts. Good or bad, they're always memorable," Ahsoka says, holding the rock out to Din, who takes it, "Now hold the stone out in the palm of your hand. Tell him to lift it up."

Jana watches as Din shifts his weight to one hip, holing out the stone as instructed, "Alright, Kid. Lift the stone."

From where she stands, Jana can't help but correct him, "Grogu," She and Ahsoka say at the same time, sharing a smile after the name leaves their lips.

Din looks between the two women as Ahsoka walks over to Jana, settling beside her as they both watch. Zoning back in on the kid, Din tries, "Grogu," Making the Child coo loudly as Din captures his attention, gently encouraging him, "Come on, take the stone," When nothing happens, Din looks back to the pair of women as he tosses the stone aside, "You see? I told you, he's stubborn."

"Try to connect with him," Ahsoka instructs.

Jana nods in agreement, adding, "Be patient."

Din takes a deep breath, looking through his T-visor to the Child, who stares at him in wonder as he reaches into a pocket on his belt, pulling out Grogu's favourite metal ball.

Jana leans over to Ahsoka, quietly whispering, "Oh he's gonna do it now."

"Grogu," Din prods, kneeling down as Grogu's interest clearly peaks, one of his hands reaching out for the toy, "Do you want this?" The Child's head tilts with interest, "Well, go ahead. That's right, take it. Come on, you can have it. Come on."

Then, the ball soars from Din's grasp into Grogu's and Jana immediately cheers out, "Yes!"

"Good job!" Din praises, both he and Jana heading towards the Child, "Good job, kid! You see that? That's right," Jana and Din kneel in front of the Child, who looks happy as he stares up at them, handing the ball back to Din, "I knew you could do it. Very good."

"Jana," Ahsoka lightly calls, getting the brunette's attention, "I'd like you to try as well."

Din hands the ball to Jana, who retreats back to where Din had been standing only moments ago.

Taking a deep breath, Jana brings her eyes to meet the Child's, "Alright Grogu, one more time, okay?" She gently says, holding up the ball in her palm, "Take the ball, troublemaker. You can do it."

Sure enough, the ball is taken from her grip with an invisible force, flying all the way back to Grogu's hand, again, Jana cheers, walking up to the little monster yet again, "Good job, Grogu," She grins when she crouches in front of him, reaching up to fondly rub one of his ears, making him happily babble in response, especially when Din appears at their side, once again praising the kid, "Quite the little Jedi we have here," Jana mutters, looking over to Din, who's t-visor is aimed at her as she speaks.

"He's formed strong attachments to you both," Ahsoka declares, making both partners look at her over their shoulders, the sentence bringing a small smile to Jana's face, which Ahsoka's next words get rid of instantly, "I cannot train him."

Both Din and Jana stand up straight, the Mandalorian questioning Ahsoka immediately, "What? Why not? You've seen what he can do."

"His attachment to you makes him vulnerable to his fears," Ahsoka explains, seriously, "His anger."

Jana frowns, crossing her arms over her chest, "That just seems like another reason to train him."

"No," Ahoska firmly says, stepping towards the partners, "I've seen what such feelings can do to a fully trained Jedi Knight. To the best of us. I will not start this Child down that path."

"What if you're starting him on that path by refusing him training he needs?" Jana asks, "He can overcome it."

"It's better to let his powers fade," Ahsoka breathes, starting to walk away, "I've delayed too long. I must get back to the village."

Jana huffs, frowning as Grogu lets out a whine when Din calls, "The Magistrate sent us to kill you!" Making Ahsoka stop in her tracks and turn to the duo yet again, "We didn't agree to anything. And we'll help you with your problem if you see to it that Grogu is properly trained."

Ahsoka doesn't say anything, and Jana grows nervous, "Please."

---

Ahsoka had agreed to the deal, and the trio, plus the Child in Jana's arms, walk to the Razor Crest to drop off Grogu, Jana explaining what she had seen in the village earlier, "She has a small army of guards armed with A350 blaster rifles, two HK-87 assassin droids, and a hired gunfighter, probably ex-military. Nothing new, but it's pretty heavy artillery.

Ahsoka raises a playful brow as she looks over to Jana, "You know your weaponry."

Smirking, Jana reaches up and points to her implant, "I guess you could say I have an eye for it."

Ignoring the bad joke, Din speaks next, "Combined, not even your laser swords would be able to protect your from all that fire power."

"True," Ahsoka nods, "But don't underestimate the Magistrate, either."

"Who is she?" Din asks, "She offered us weapons; A dagger and a staff of pure beskar, to kill you."

Jana adjusts her hold on Grogu as Ahsoka crosses her arms over her chest, "Morgan Elsbeth," She answers, "During the Clone Wars, her people were massacred. She survived and let her anger fuel an industry which helped build the Imperial Starfleet. She plundered worlds, destroying them in the process."

"She sounds delightful," Jana sarcastically mutters, "And unfortunately, it looks like she's still in business."

Ahsoka turns from where she looks through the trees to Jana, "When you were in the city did you see any prisoners?"

Jana nods, "Three, all strung up outside the inner gate."

"We must find a way to free them."

"A Mandalorian, a Jedi, and Killshot?" Din wonders, drawing both of the women's gaze to him, "They'll never see it coming."

Jana grins proudly at her Mandalorian before she looks to Ahsoka, who nudges her with an elbow, "Now that's the start to a bad joke," She utters, making Jana chuckle before they get serious and formulate their plan.

---

Corvus darkens when a mass of dark clouds passes overhead, so they use the cover to make their move. Ahsoka heads up to the front gates, storming the village and drawing gunfire.

As it happens, Jana scales the eastern wall of the city using a wire and an old gauntlet that Din had equipped her with, dropping within the city walls as the newly cut in half alarm crashes to the ground.

Killshot's job is easy; get rid of as many members of the Magistrate's army as possible. So, Jana creeps through the city's alleys, moving in the gaps between homes with her gun drawn and her scope out.

She makes it to the main path, staying the the shadow of an alley and waiting for her signal, seeing Ahsoka approaching the Magistrate and her army.

When she stops, Ahoska throws a beskar shoulder pauldron with a mudhorn signet forward, letting it clatter to the stone tile of the path along with a beskar medallion with the same inscription. Ahsoka looks directly to the Magistrate, "Your bounty hunters failed. Tell me what I want to know. Where is your master?"

Instead of answering, the Magistrate simply says, "Kill her."

"Love to," The gunman says, before firing his rifle. Ahsoka leaps up and onto the top of one of the homes that line the same side of the street Jana hides in, deflecting gunfire with her lightsabers.

Ahsoka guides them into the alleys, just as planned.

Retreating back, Jana flicks on her blaster's silencer, and as she rounds a corner she takes down three of the armed soldiers before they can even scream, the muzzle of her blaster smoking from the lasers that had left it.

Creeping along, Jana listens for footsteps, hearing gunfire in the distance from whoever had spotted Ahsoka. Heading towards the noise, Jana shoots two soldiers in their backs as soon as she sees them. Out of the two of them, Jana knows Ahsoka would take on more men than her, she's really just here to pick up the stragglers.

Then, rounding a corner, Jana steps into the sights of two soldiers. But, she doesn't raise her blaster, because Ahsoka is right behind them, igniting her white lightsabers and swinging them through the gunmen.

"I need to get one of those," Jana utters, watching with wonder as the light from the weapons fade.

Ahsoka smirks at the comment, "Come with me."

Following the other woman's lead, Jana follows her up to the rooftops, Din's old gauntlet helping her climb yet again.

From above, the pair watch the lead gunman creep through the alleys, carefully looking around for the Jedi he clearly hunts. Jana watches him, unable to keep herself from judging the wa he holds his blaster. He's military for sure, but he hunches over too far, which would effect his response time.

He only turns when he hears Ahsoka activate her lightsabers again, and when he turns to fire, Jana's scope picks up the blasts and she shoots them down as Ahsoka leaps to the ground.

Jana shoots one of the droids, hopping down from the roof when she hears a yell in the street. Seeing citizens, the brunette clenches her jaw, hearing Ahsoka still fighting just a few feet away, "Get inside," Jana tells a family, calling to the others, "Go into your homes!"

Emerging from an alley, Jana spots Din doing the exact same thing. Jana jogs up to him, "Did you get the prisoners? Are they okay?" She asks, not seeing anyone on the frightening platforms she had seen when they first entered the city.

"Yes, the soldiers?"

"Ahsoka barely left any for me."

Seeing Din's helmet look past her, Jana turns to see the gunman coming out of an alley, and the brunette grits her teeth, moving past Din to the wall that separates the Magistrate from the rest of her village. Firing the wire yet again, Jana scales the wall, drawing her blaster as soon as she has two feet on it. Ahsoka leaps up beside her for a moment before turning and leaping into the Magistrate's sanctuary.

Jana remains where she is, focusing on the armed man standing across from Din on the path.

"So," The Gunman calls, looking between the two, "You threw in with the Jedi?"

"Looks that way," Din says back.

"Your partner, that's Killshot?"

Behind her, Jana hears the pang of the beskar spear, but she doesn't look back, nor answer the question.

"I'll take the silence as a yes. I served behind you, you know that? You remember Yavin?"

Again, Jana says nothing, she just tightens her grip on her blaster. For a moment she tries to recognize the man on the street below, but nothing and no one comes to mind. It's not her fault though, there are many men she fought with that she'd never learn the name of.

Grunts and the sound of lightsaber on beskar continue to ring out, and the Gunman has a smirk on his face, "Who do you think's gonna win? Could be your side..." More clanging and yells, "Could be my side."

With the growing volume of the fight, Jana doesn't like that the gunman keeps creeping forward, both hands on his rifle. She debates firing a warning shot at his feet, but refrains, deciding to wait a couple more seconds

"I got no quarrel with you, Mandalorian, or Killshot-"

Din holds out a hand as the man goes to take another step, "That's far enough," Seeing his hand hovering over his blaster, Jana takes a subtle deep breath, knowing her partner can defend himself. He's quick on the draw.

"You and I, we're a lot alike," The Gunman drones on, keeping his gaze fixed on the armoured man before him, "Willing to lay our lives down for the right cause. Which this is not," More grunts echo through the air, then, a loud clang of beskar falling, followed by nothing else, "Looks like you win," The Gunman says, holding out his rifle and lowering it to the ground.

Jana watches him wearily, not trusting it completely. Din seems to relax slightly, then, the man reaches for a small blaster in his waistband and the Mandalorian doesn't hesitate to fire, landing his shot and dropping the gunman that had been speaking to them.

Seeing a perfect scorch mark on his chest, Jana feels pride swell in her at the accuracy of Din's shot, especially when he spins his blaster once before holstering it.

Beside him, a door opens, and Jana sees a few townspeople wander out when something else catches her eye;

Movement on a rooftop across from her.

Immediately, Jana aims and fires, her blast ripping through a droid that had somehow evaded destruction before.

It falls off of the roof to the ground in a sparking heap, and Jana scans for more movement, trying to decide if she needs to head into the alleys to sweep for anything else she had missed.

Jana hops down from the wall, watching as citizens flood the street now that the threat of a small army is gone.

Din approaches her, reaching into a pocket of his belt and pulling her medallion out of one of his pockets. Feeling relieved, Jana goes to take the chain from him, only for the Mandalorian to pull back and utter, "Let me." So, Jana turns, allowing her partner to secure the beskar around her neck yet again. Once it's in place, Jana faces him again, reaching out and giving his hand a tight squeeze.

Soon after this, Ahsoka comes out of the gates and informs them of the fate of the Magistrate.

---

Heading out of the liberated villages doors, cheering of the free town behind them, Ahsoka turns to Din, raising the beskar spear and the dark cloth that held the dagger they had been offered earlier, "I believe this was your payment."

Jana and Ahsoka share the same smirk, but Din shakes his head, "No. I can't accept. I didn't finish the job."

"No," Ahsoka agrees, "But this belongs with a Mandalorian."

Slowly, Din takes the beskar from Ahsoka, giving permission to Jana to take the dagger Ahsoka offers. Jana unwraps it so she can look upon the finely crafted blade yet again.

Her weapon of choice will always be a blaster, but the blade in her hands is devastatingly beautiful.

"Where is your little friend?" Ahsoka asks, snapping both partners from their small trances.

Jana had forgotten about this part.

"He's back at the ship," She breathes, hoping Ahsoka doesn't sense the sadness spreading over her, "Wait for us. We'll go get him."

Ahsoka watches as Jana gives her an effort at a smile, but it looks more like a grimace as Mando offers her his arm, the brunette taking hold of it as they walk to the trees where the Razor Crest is hidden.

The walk isn't long, but Jana dreads every step of it.

When she boards the ship, Jana heads straight to the cot compartment, knowing they had left Grogu there to nap. Din trails behind, taking off his jetpack and setting the spear and dagger into the armoury.

When Jana hits the button to make the door slide open, she's met with a sleeping Grogu in the hammock that hangs within. Frowning, Jana just looks at him, not realizing how much she had been dreading the completion of the quest until she's met with the end. The end means saying goodbye to her favourite little troublemaker.

Din appears beside her, letting out a small sigh at the sight of the sleeping Child. He reaches out, rocking the hammock gently, "Wake up, buddy," He mumbles, voice low and gentle and saddening, "It's time to say goodbye."

The word makes Jana's heart ache as she watches Grogu's large eyes peek open, seeing the familiar face and helmet of Jana and the Mandalorian, his eyes close yet again, and Jana doesn't like the stinging in her eyes at the sight.

After a moment, she reaches into the hammock and picks up Grogu as gently as she can, trying not to disturb him as she holds him in her arms. Turning and sitting on the edge of the cot, Jana remembers the first time she saw Grogu on Arvala-7.

It seems like forever ago.

She had just met the Mandalorian, and they were both nameless. She remembers shooting IG-11 when he insisted on killing the Child as he peered up at them, looking fearful.

Now, the Child sleeps because he knows he's safe.

Din settles beside Jana, one of his arms going around her and she instinctively leans into him, his other hand reaching forward to rub over one of Grogu's.

Yet again, they're in silence. Jana can't think of a single thing to say.

For a long time they don't move, probably too long, but Jana just can't bring herself to leave the moment, possibly one of the last moments all three of them would be together.

However, when Grogu finally fully awakens, both Din and Jana force themselves to get the Child ready for Ahsoka. Din stands, straightening out Grogu's robes.

"Cyare," Din blindly calls, and Jana appears by his side, looking down at Grogu as she rests her head on the Mandalorian's shoulder pauldron, "Are you ready?"

Jana's voice is quiet when she speaks, "I don't think I'll ever be."

Din sighs, picking up Grogu and holding him close as he mindlessly babbles. Jana steps away, frowning and running her thumb over the back of Grogu's tiny hand. When she steps away, she follows Din down the Razor Crest's ramp.

"You're like a father to him," Snapping her head up, Jana's eyes land on Ahsoka, who seems to be waiting for them a few feet away, her eyes shifting from Din to the brunette beside him, "And he thinks of you as a mother," At the words, Jana looks to Grogu, touched by the sentiment. She hadn't known how much she'd been thinking of him as her child until Ahsoka had mentioned it, "I cannot train him."

"You made us a promise," Din states, "And we held up our end."

Jana frowns, "If you can't train him then who can?" She asks, taking a step forward, "What else can we do?"

Ahsoka walks up to the clan, stopping in front of Din and taking a hold of Grogu's hand as he coos at her, "There is one possibility," She looks up at the Mandalorian, "Go to the planet Tython. There, you will find the ancient ruins of a temple that has a strong connection to the force. Place Grogu on the seeing stone at the top of the mountain."

"Then what?" Din asks.

"Then Grogu may choose his path. If he reaches out through the force, there's a chance a Jedi might sense his presence and come searching for him," Jana nods in understanding at Ahsoka's words, the orange-skinned woman crossing her arms over her chest as she looks to the ground, "Then again, there aren't many Jedi left."

"Thank you," Din says.

"May the force be with you."

When Din heads back up the ramp, Jana stays put, watching as Ahsoka smiles up at Grogu as he's carried into the ship, giving the small creature a nod.

Jana smiles to the woman beside her, "Thank you, Ahsoka," Jana extends her hand, "For everything."

Ahsoka returns the expression, grasping Jana's forearm with a strong grip, "Thank you for your help."

"It's good to know we have an ally in you," Jana says when they release each other.

"A friend," Ahsoka corrects, making Jana's grin widen, "You have a friend in me, Jana."

Jana takes a step backwards and up the ramp, "Well then," She smiles, "I hope our paths cross again soon, my friend."

"As do I," Ahsoka nods, "May the force be with you."

"And also with you," Jana returns before she heads up into the ship, the ramp sliding closed behind her, and the ship lifting off of Corvus' surface almost immediately.

When she buckles herself into her seat, Jana looks over to Grogu, who remained without a name until this very day, "Grogu," Jana tests, smiling when she gets his attention, "You ever been to Tython, you little monster?"

He babbles in response, and the sharpshooter can't help but smile fondly down at her son.

---

A/N:

Thank you for reading! Not the most exciting chapter but MY GOODNESS I LOVE AHSOKA. I've been looking forward to writing her and Jana as friends for a while. Hopefully Din is in the Ahoska series or Ahsoka appears again in the Mandalorian so Jana can see her new friend again. 

See you soon with the next chapter! Please please please vote and comment, thank you again!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.2K 89 21
A bounty Hunter must make his way through the Galaxy after finding two kids that need caring for. I own nothing except for my OCs
56.8K 1.8K 20
under all that beskar, he had a heart of gold - A scared child, discarded on the dunes of Tatooine for being mute, soon finds herself in the care of...
4.6K 167 37
Aria Solo. It wasn't her real name. Not even close. But her real name had become hidden in a past she was aching to forget. A history that she would...
230 7 7
☬ din djarin x oc ☬ ➢ @ the bounty hunter's guild ➢ two types of metal clanging ➢ started: 2/5/22 ➢ ended: