Out

By brenhilda

Elizabeth Bree Mallet was a good girl. Never got in trouble, always did her work... Until the day she got her... More

Author Notes
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Please Read
Chapter 12
Chapter 13

Chapter 5

96 2 0
By brenhilda

Alice took it upon herself to be my personal escort for the rest of the week. I couldn't get her to leave me alone, no matter how hard I tried. Now that it's finally the weekend, I decide to spend some time alone and go explore California. I put on a pair of ripped denim jean shorts (I didn't realize how short they were when I decided to put them on) and a black tank with a red flannel over top, which I tied in a knot in the front. I grabbed my black combat boots and put them on too. I pulled my brown/blonde hair up into a messy bun and checked my appearance in the mirror.

"Something's missing..." I mutter to myself.

I grab my white and black bandanna that I brought from Juvy and tie it around my head like a headband. I put on some makeup and grab my purse. I lock the door behind me and walk out of the school, waving to Mrs. Dobbs, the lady behind the desk.

I fish my sunglasses out of my purse and slide them on my face. I walk to the exit of the parking lot where I hail a cab.

I climb in and say, "I'm just planning to go sightseeing, so drop me off wherever."

The car doesn't move.

"Is that ok?" I ask.

The driver gives me a sly grin and removes his sunglasses. "In case you haven't put it together yet," he says, "I drive a cab on the weekends."

I roll my eyes and groan. Jack.

"Why do you keep pestering me, Jack Tyler?" I whine.

"Pestering...thats a fancy word," he muses, the car finally starting to move.

"It means you're annoying," I shoot back.

"Alice was right, you really don't want friends," he says.

"Yes, she is right. So just stop trying, ok?" I say.

"Why?" he asks. It's a simple question, but it catches me off guard.

"Why what?" I respond.

"Why don't you want friends? Why should I stop trying? Why won't you let anybody into your life?"

"That's more than one question," I point out.

"We've got time. After all, you don't even know where you're going," he says.

Maybe telling him to drop me off anywhere wasn't the best idea... I scold myself.

"I don't want friends because I don't like people," I snap at Jack.

"And why is that?" he asks calmly.

"That's just the way it is," I say.

"Doesn't have to be," he mutters quietly, but I hear him.

I don't reply. I have nothing to say to him. The rest of the car ride passes by in scilence.

***

It's almost dark when I finally get back to the school. My feet are aching in my boots and my hair is an absolute disaster. I trudge back to my dorm room and flop down onto the bed, wrapping myself up like a burrito still in all of my clothes- including my boots. I reach for my laptop and pull up Netflux. I flick through all of the options and eventually settle on watching some Nicholas Cage movie.

A few minutes into the movie, someone knocks on my door. I groan and unwrap the blanket from around myself. I adjust my clothes- straighten my shirt, pull down my shorts a bit- and walk over to the door. I fling it open and I see...

My aunt.

"Hi sweetie," she says warmly.

I struggle to find words.

"Can I come in?" she asks.

Still not able to form words, I nod mutely and move out of her way.

She walks in and looks around my room. "Very clean," she comments.

"Uhh, thanks," I mutter.

She moves my laptop and glances at the screen while doing so. She chuckles and says, "Nicholas Cage? Seriously?"

I smile.

She pats the bed, signaling for me to sit down next to her. I walk over and jump onto the bed, then take off my boots, which I hadn't done yet. I pulled my knees up to my chest and wrapped my arms around my legs. After a few minutes of silence, my aunt says, "How are you, sweetheart?"

I shrug my shoulders. "I'm fine, I suppose. I mean, it's still new... But I'm getting used to it."

She nods her head. "I assume you're wondering why I'm here," she says, looking towards me.

I nod and stare at her.

She looks at me and says, "I got an email, from your teacher, Mr. Morris... He told me that you seem depressed."

I snap my head up and stare at her. "Aunt Lucinda, I'm not depressed."

"He said that you're extremely quiet, not talking to people, and not making friends- even though people have tried."

"I guess that's true..." She looks at me expectantly. "But I am not depressed!"

"Why won't you make friends?" she asks quietly.

"I don't want any," I whisper.

"Honey...please. Your not even giving this place a shot!"

I consider her words, then nod my head. She's right. I have to give it a shot.

****************************************************************************************************************************************************

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

90.8K 2.6K 36
This is a rewritten version of Golden Boy! It's completely new except for the names of the characters. Everyone has that one thing that they fear th...
187K 7.7K 82
Every high schooler says that high school is hell, but for an eighteen-year-old, Isla, it really is. For someone who is so sweet and pure she doesn'...
3.2M 86.6K 57
The new girl. I know what you're thinking: this must be one of those stories where the new girl falls in love with the quarterback and they live happ...
1M 24.5K 55
❝ I should've listened to my heart. No matter how hard I've tried to push you away, everything leads back to you. My thoughts, the way my heart flutt...