A Shadow of a Shinobi {Naruto...

By MissBluey

Zen doesn't care. Zen isn't seen, Zen isn't heard. Zen may not even exist to it's knowledge. Zen is just an a... More

Zen is Zen
Let us Train
Yubaba's Bath House
Relax or Work
Work?

A Shadow of a Shinobi {Naruto Fan Fiction}

5.8K 121 37
By MissBluey

I DO NOT OWN NARUTO NOR ANY OF THE CHARACTERS IN THE ANIME OR MANGA. I OWN MY OWN CHARACTER AND APOLOGIZE IN ADVANCE FOR CURSES, AND TRIGGERS. AND BREAKING THE FOURTH WALL. (Having First Person to Reader Dialogue) Anyways.

Alot of this stuff will be either out of order or weirdly done. So I appologize and kind of dont care becasue this is a fan fiction. But I promise it wont suck as bad as you probably think it will :I

Oh and I dont even know what Gender I'll make it.

Enjoy.

~  ~  ~  ~ 

"Good Morning Class." Iruka said as he walked in. The chatter was silenced and everyone scrambled to their seats.

"Good Morning Iruka-sensei!" A few kiss-up's called to him. Iruka nodded slightly, seeming pleased.

"Today we will be reviewing our Projectile Objects, so if everyone would follow me outside with their weapons, let's get started." He said and led everyone out of the room. People began talking or sighing or groaning or cheering.

I was indifferent at the whole thing, walking to follow everyone like a shadow. Nobody called my name or saw me as I moved. How could they when I was practically unseen? Does anyone call my name? Nope. I'm glad I can remember it though. 

Oh! I apologize. My name? It is none other then Zen

Zen? You may ask, confused as to why it seems so different, so unusual, with no last name? 

Because I chose that name. I like that name. It is short, if said almost unnoticeable, somewhat feminine but masculine. Like my brown hair and brown eyes.

Oh? Have I confused you?

I have, haven't I? 

I tend to do that often to everyone who pays attention to me.

You must be wondering whether I am a female or male, aren't you?

I won't give that out to you, after all it makes no difference to me whether people see me as a girl or a boy. I don't mind any gender. I simply do not care.  Nothing like gender or boys or girls matter to me at all. Nothing gives me any reason. I am to be a weapon. A Shinobi. To make money like so will be my only chance to live and protect myself from the cold hands of death and starvation. To instill fear in the hearts of those who threaten me. Because I am a street rat.

"Now class-" Iruka went on about the Kunai, Shuriken and other projectile weapons. I listened, but not all that much. I have learned what he is explaining through experience. 

Chatter and excited talking brought me back to listening. "Alright class, now line up by your own targets." Iruka said, and everyone did so. I waited until everyone was positioned and went to the one all the way in the back, where nobody occupied. 

The red and white target was badly drawn onto the tree, it didn't have many holes in it. That was about to change.

 I took out three Shuriken and quickly threw them as fast and hard as I could at the tree, aiming swiftly into the center. The three hit perfectly next to one another, with a nice resounding THUD, deeply going into it. I took out two kunai next and spun it around my finger for a second before throwing it swiftly into the air just above me, as I went to retrieve my shuriken and returned just to catch my Kunai as it went down, then countered it to the tree, right in the middle. I smiled a little, proud of myself. Taking a few Kunai and making a smiley face out of them on the tree, and continuing to train.

Nobody saw it though, why would they see it? Why would they see me? I am nothing but a Shadow. A Ghost. My hard work will never be seen. But thats the best kind of work done. One that isn't remembered, which is why it's so important. 

"Good work everyone. You may have snack now, when you are all done, come back to the classroom in ten minutes." Everybody broke out into chatter and Iruka left. I followed after him, and swiftly and silently entered the classroom. He didn't notice me.

He took out a stack of papers and went through grading them as I took my seat at the back near the window. I stared out of it quietly, gazing at the soft blue sky that was turning grey rather quickly.

"It will rain soon." My voice was monotone and just above a whisper. I heard a bang and yelp, I slowly looked over to see Iruka was on the floor with paperwork all around him.

"When did you get in here?" He asked in shock after he composed himself. I looked at him for a few moments, debating on how to awnser him without scaring him.. too much.

"I entered after you entered." I stated in the same maner as before, and let my gaze float over to the window.

"You've been in my class for a long while, haven't you? But we've never spoken, have we?" Iruka asked, picking his papers up as he spoke to me.

"Yes, and No." I stated simply, and watched as a brown bird perched on the window.

"Pardon?" Iruka was confused. I have that effect on people.

"I've been in this class since the beginning. You've never acknowledged my existence other then the attendance." I said and closed my eyes as the soft pitter-pat of rain made a soft harmony to my ears. I opened them with a jump as I heard a loud yet pretty sound of a bird chirp. The bird hopped from the open window onto my desk and pecked at it softly then looked up at me, tilting it's head curiously. I brought my hand torwards it slowly, and layed it on the desk for it to see.

Did Iruka-sensei not hear it?

"Right.." I could tell Iruka felt awkward. And didn't see the flight creature in my hand, or hear the rain from the window. But soon enough my classmates should be filling this room.

"What was your name again?" Iruka asked.

"Zen." I stated, removing my gaze from the bird near my hand to look at my sensei, he looked uncomfortable under my dull gaze.

"A-Ah. Right! Zen. Zeennnn..." He probably tried to search for my last name so I helped him out on that one.

"I do not have a last name." I explained in monotone and jumped a little when I felt something on my hand. My gaze snapped there to see the bird resting in the palm of my hand. Wow.. I don't think I've ever seen such a free bird look so vulnerable and peaceful this close.

I could crush this animal that slept in my hand, and not feel a thing. Yet. Yet I couldn't bring myself to. This animal that nobody see's or can understand. This quiet bird. I think I like it a little. It's a nice creature. I don't think I'll kill it.

"Is that so..?" It was a rhetorical question so I didn't bother answering. "Well I wish you good luck on the exam tomorrow." He told me. I made no reply to his wish of luck, just looking down at the sleeping bird.

"Sensei?" 

"Hm?"

"Why can't some birds sing?" I asked softly, looking at him. He looked confused by my question.

"They aren't made for singing?" The attempted answer was more of a question. I do not accept unsure answers.

"No."

"Why?" He asked.

"Perhaps they do, you just can't hear them."

Before he could reply yells and laughter entered the room with my wet classmates who were stuck in the rain for snack time. It was now time to learn.. until Iruka had to get Naruto.

When Iruka returned, we had to do the transformation jutsu. Not that I went up in the line. I stayed in my seat with the little bird I was never called because I was the last and usually school ended before it would get to me. Or I would be forgotten... and then again.. Naruto went before me. Doing his jutsu of sexiness? Causing Iruka to pass out then rant for an hour or so. When he continued he never got to me, and continued with a final review for our exam tomorrow which he said he would tell us in the morning of what.

That is fine with me however. I layed my head down and observed the bird, watching it's breast move up and down quickly as it slept. Its soft feathers move every once in a while.

"Zen." I looked around at the mention of my name. Iruka called me? 

"Yes?" My voice was barley audiable with all the whispers and questions of my existence. A number of gasps errupted around the room. Everyone forgot of my existence. Thats fine. I'm used to it.

"What is the sign for fire?" He asked me.

"Tora." I replied simply and waited for a few moments, he didn't ask me any more questions, and left me back to dozing off, wondering if I would have to sleep under the bridge or in the ally today. 

~ * ~ * Fast Forward to the Next Day * ~ * ~

"Good Morning class." Iruka greeted, the chatters quieted. "The Exam has been decided to be a ninjutsu. The Clone Jutsu." He then told us that he would call names and they must come into the room. A few people groaned and others were quiet. Iruka called names and I thought nothing of the names. I was always last anyways.

I looked over to the open window and there was my brown bird. It chirped loudly and yet nobody in the room heard it except for me, who flinched just a little. The bird hopped off the window and onto the table again, I lowered my hand for it, and it hopped into the palm of my hand. I carefully brought it up to eye-level with myself.

"Why have you returned to me?" I asked it, tilting my head slightly. It tilted its head the same way in return. I smiled a little. It chirped softly in response. "Should I name you? If you are to be around me?" I asked it. It only chirped in response. I sighed.

A soft feeling in a corner of the room caused me to glance at it quietly. The bird chirped quieter, almost at a whisper. I looked at it in confusion. "You can feel it too?" I asked. The bird only chirped happily in responce.

I sighed. 

*~*INAROOMWITHOLDPEOPLE*~*

The Hokage stood around a spherical object and the Jonin watched with him into the room of the fresh meat known as academy students.

"Did you see that?" Kurenai, a young woman with long black hair and stunning red eyes asked pointing at something seeming almost invisible to everyone else.

"What?" The Hokage asked, looking somewhat confused.

"Theres a ghost-like figure over there by the window, wearing black, with brown hair. Who is that?" Kurenai asked. She didn't like the vibe from the figure.

"Oh. Wow. I'm supprised you've spotted Zen. They're very invisible." The Hokage stated, glancing at it for a moment, meeting the brown eyes as it looked away for a moment and back to the orb as if the brown eyes could see them all.

"Wait- Did you just call 'Zen', a they?" Asuma, a smoker with black hair and a beard asked in confusion to his father, the Hokage.

"Yes. Zen won't give any hints to what they're similar to. And when I get on the topic Zen states that it doesn't care what it was reffered to and I cant figure it out at all, they doesn't use any tenses, its so hard to figure it out." The hokage said and sighed.

"What about that other guy over there?" A Jonin asked, pointing to the sphere. 

"That's Sasuke Uchiha."

~*~* Back to Zen-san *~*~

From what I could see, Naruto got on Sasuke's desk and put himself in his face. 

My little birdie was now perched on my head. I trusted it enough not to poop on me. After all, if it wanted to poop on me, it would have done so in my hands.. right?

Anyways. Somebody stood up behind Naruto, pushing him into an awkward lip lock with Sasuke. Girls screamed heartbroken while some guys began to laugh. My bird chirped from my head, laughing. I smirked just a little, watching as the two boys coughed as if they were poisonous. 

The girls ganged up on Naruto, but soon enough Iruka entered.

"I will call your names and you will enter one by one into the exam room. First-" I didn't listen to him and sighed closing my eyes. 

~ ~

"Zen..?" It was one of my classmates with Blonde Hair and blue eyes, Naruto, he looked somewhat upset. He probably failed the test. I stood up and went into the exam room. 

There Iruka and another man stood. 

"Now Zen, make 3 Clones." I did so, watching his expression change into shock. "Wow. They really look real." He stated and poked one of them. My clone swatted his hand away, and the bird on my head chirped with a laugh. 

"Zen, may I ask why you have a bird on your head?" Iruka-sensei asked, as he handed me a blue Ninja Headband. I shrugged.

"Kikoenai has its ways." The bird chirped at its new name and I smiled.

"Kikoenai? Why did you name it so?" The second sensei in the room asked.

"Because you cannot hear it's words." I stated and walked out of the room with not so much as a goodbye. I was the last in the class, and I went outside to see everyone was already gone.

Kiko chirped and hopped onto my shoulder. 

"Do you like your name? I think it suits nicely, unless you would like to change it- that is." I told my avian companion.

Yes I like it

This time her chirp was heard by everyone around me as I walked around the market, some people gave me and my bird glances.

"I see you can communicate with the other side as well." I told it.

Yes. It comes in handy. And I would rather be refrenced to, as a female, if you would.

"I'm sorry. Then Kikoenai-chan? Or Kiko-chan? Perhaps Nai-chan?" I asked in a quiet voice, swiping some bread from a nearby stand and chomping on it as I walked, handing her some bread.

As a Nickname I think I would respond to both. But I like Kiko. It sounds pretty.

"Just as you are." She chirped and rubbed her head on my neck affectionately. I smiled a little and stole a little more before returning to hiding underneath a bridge not too far from the academy.

I gave her part of my food as we both ate and conversed a little under the bridge, falling asleep together.

~ * ~

When I woke up I had to steal a pre-toothpaste toothbrush and a sample of soap from the pharmacy again, to take a quick bath before hurrying to the academy with stolen food. I even gave Kiko a little bath as well.

Iruka was in the classroom and I was a little late but he didn't notice. I took my seat at the back quietly. 

"Alright class, I will be putting you all into teams. The first team-" I closed my eyes and didn't want to listen to him until I would hear my name.  I waited until silence greeted me.

I opened my eyes to find everyone gone, except for Iruka who sat at his desk.

"Iruka-sensei." I called. He jumped.

"Z-Zen. I d-didn't hear you there." He said in shock.

"Did you not put me on a team?" I asked my voice still somewhat monotonal as usual.

"Oh. I forgot to include you, didn't I. I'm so sorry. Let me check." Iruka said and went through his papers panicked. I sighed and Kiko sighed somewhat too.

"Oh. It says here that you would be on Team 7. Which apparently has three members already.. oops.." Iruka scratched the back of his head.

"Does that mean I'll be re-assigned?" I asked.

"No, I suppose we'll make an exception. Just meet in room 207 After Lunch." He told me. I nodded and got up, pushing my chair back and leaving the classroom to go upstairs and into the room 207. I took a seat at the front this time. Might as well I suppose.

Lunch? Ha. The market is somewhat empty and slow this time of day so I can't steal without getting caught now. I don't have lunch.

 Me and Kiko relaxed silently together, her on my brown haired head. A Dark Haired boy, Sasuke, was the first to enter, his face careless. He looked somewhat surprised though when he saw me.

"Why do you have a bird on your head?" He asked.

"Why don't you?" I asked and ignored his growl of anger.

Next came a Pink haired girl, S..Sakusa? I think was her name. She was pretty.. and I think she was smart. She smelled pretty good too, but I think that was the lot of perfume she probably put on herself. She bashed eyes at Sasuke though. So I suppose she wouldn't anyone else.

Last came Naruto, the blond with blue eyes. He was very energetic when he entered. He asked me tons of questions, many of them which I ignored and game short answers.

"Hey, why doesn't the bird on your head make any noise? Is it fake?" Naruto asked, tilting his head.

"You can't hear her. And she's real. Isn't that right Kikoenai-chan?" Said bird flapped her wings softly and hopped from my head onto my shoulder to rub her face against my neck softly. I patted her head slowly with two of my fingers.

I'm glad you can understand the spirits

"I am a part of the spirits. So of course." I whispered to her quietly with a small smile.

"Wow. The bird has a pretty sounding cheep." Naruto commented. I shrugged softly.

We waited and waited in silence until Naruto and Sakusa..? They began to get aggravated and annoyed. Naruto got a chalk eraser and put it in the doorway for a prank. 

I heard footsteps and looked up as the door opened and the eraser did a soft down drop onto a man's head. I observed him silently. He had standard Jonin outfit, and a headband over one eye. White hair that defied gravity and a lazy looking expression.

"I-I'm sorry Sensei I tried to stop him!" Sakusa...? Stuttered out.

"Hm.. How should I say this..? I don't like you guys." The three others sweatdropped as I just patted Kiko.

"Lets go to the roof."

* ~ * ~ *

Soo? Watcha think?

(Shin Mizuki as Zen Meinai for now)

 ~Bubby-chan

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

54 19 4
A world filled with ninjas of all sorts from elemental ninjas to stealth and sages from all sorts are born and raised to become powerful ninjas and...
11.1K 247 18
The Animeverse, a universe with many recognizable people and heroes. However, one universe doesn't know they're real. Magic, tech, spirits, cliche ro...
2.1K 49 9
You are a 5'5" male, who had been kicked out of the Royal Family: Agastami Manor. You are the oldest brother of two. Nik a vice captain and Alex a tr...
7.3K 238 21
Ever since y/n was little, she's always wanted to become a Demon Slayer. Better yet, a hashira. But that dream slowly started to die out over time. O...