Devotion (GOT Fanfic)

By mono-niji-kayu

Leila Lannister was the devoted child, the one who surrendered youth for a life she didn't wanted and joy for... More

Devotion
Act I: Love
Chapter I
Chapter II
Chapter III
Chapter IV
Chapter V
Chapter VI
Chapter VII
Act II: Endurance
C H A R A C T E R S A N D S O U N D T R A C K
Chapter I
Chapter II
Chapter III
Chapter IV
Chapter V
Chapter VI
Chapter VII
Chapter VIII
Chapter IX
Chapter X
Chapter XI
Chapter XII
Chapter XIII
ASOIAF Fanfic Awards
Chapter XIV
Chapter XV
Chapter XVI
Chapter XVII
Chapter XVIII
Chapter XIX
Chapter XX
ACT III
Chapter I
Chapter III
Chapter IV
Chapter V
Chapter VI
Chapter VII
Chapter VIII
Chapter IX
Chapter X

Chapter II

5K 120 100
By mono-niji-kayu

Act III of Devotion: Liberty

Chapter II : The Wandering Queen Part II

'My mother Queen Leila had always been a wanderer. I could remember stories my uncle Jaime had told of me about her, liking to go through the deep caverns of Casterly Rock on her own and sometimes even in the wide outskirts of the Lannisport with great uncle  Gerion.

But my mother's heart was devoted to work, duty and family more than her wandering. And proof of this could be found in her existence in itself when my mother's illness started to get the better of her well being and her devotions.

In the beginning, it was fairly controlled. Being kept away from the Red Keep aided in reducing her stress and her episodes of panic. Though as the queen and the first woman of court, she could not avoid it forever. My father had assured her that she did not have to return but my mother thought that work would help her and distract her from her ills.

However as time went on, it would not be enough. Just like my brother Aegon, she had quite a few things that prevented her from being well. Though my brother had managed to cope with all of it through work, my mother's only got worse.

She always found herself not being able to shut her eyes for any hour, plagued by ghastly dreams of the past.  I could remember watching her try and keep herself awake at court session and at times when she us all at dinner time, though she had worked to laugh the matter to not worry us.  However you would see her shutting her eyes, so often it worried us if she would fall head first onto the dining plates. But my mother was fearful of sleep, and I understood why.

At times, she would not dare feast on anything  at all even in the privacy of our family. It was as  if her despite her body demanding an end to pain it growled of, my mother continued to deny it what it desires. 

Her waist had gotten so thin at that point, my mother had contracted other illnesses which recently then had forced the maesters to consider my mother to not be well for any more strenuous activity, which her own role as queen required.

There was much more to my mother's illness and many maesters tried what they could to provide her with comforts, though she did not liked being touched by them. My mother had only truly trusted Oberyn Martell, who was familiar too with medicinal properties. This merited his constant visits to her, along with giving her companionship and comfort with Ellaria Sand by his side too. 

My father King Rhaegar had received reports on my mother's health almost everyday, his mind drifting from duty and towards the more pressing issue of my mother's situation. He could not bear to see her like that any longer. My grandfather had thought that my mother only required  time and perhaps more distractions. But my father had started to see more and more that it was only burdening her.

The family had gone and visited my uncle Viserys and my aunt Daenerys in Summerhall, the palace our ancestors built in the Stormlands. It was a breath of fresh air for my mother to be away from the stifling court and the duties that had strangled her, along with the memories of the past that should be long dead. This was the time my father had eagerly pushed my mother to think of her health and constantly voiced out his worry.

My siblings and I followed. Though, I did what I could through the ravens I sent from the Citadel. It was hard. I remember being told by Aegon that there was much tears and much hardship. None of us had wanted to lose our mother to this. 

She was moved by our worry and our plight and finally, my mother had relented to give up her much of her duties and work to my sisters Rhaenys and Visenya.

This begun my mother's journey to wandering. 

And my mother had not stopped then. 

And certainly, she will never stop.

Not even when it was her end.

-Maester Maekar; Chapter VI of the White Queen

LEILA LANNISTER HAD NEVER REALLY LIKED FINDING HER CHILDREN LATE FOR BREAKING THEIR FAST. Her husband eyed her as she looked impatiently at the empty black mahogany chairs staring at her intensely. It was an eyesore to her, to see it all empty. But she understood her children were all grown up now,  with their own lives to lead. But it mattered to her that while she was there, her children were too.

The time away from her family had made Leila crave their presence. The queen was one not to lie, she admittedly enjoyed her freedom to travel through the vast known world. She had never had the opportunity before, Oberyn used to tell her of his own travels before in their youth as they promised to see it then when they would have married. 

Oberyn had always been a good story teller, knowing how to choose his words to build a sept of beautiful prose and imagination for her. Even when they had not ended up together, he continued to indulge her imagination completely, continuing to build a garden in her mind that he, and in time her, had hoped would blossom so beautifully.

The white haired queen could still remember each and every story, she smiled a moment. That was the beginning of her journey to be the wandering queen, it all begun with Oberyn. It was he that fully piqued her interest in the wonders that one could only imagine. 

the vibrant details of the harbors with their ships resting across from each other. The beautiful alabaster and marble stone buildings and their bright paints, wide boulevards filled with musicians and loud laughter and bustle in markets, tall orchards filled with lemon trees. 

They were no longer realities that she could just dream but she felt it in each and every bit of the sense, almost every day as she lived another life with another name. Leila had achieved the dream and often accompanied by Oberyn himself who took Ellaria with him at times. It was happy moments for her, only fleeting happiness where she dared not to think of anything else.

But in her mind, her consciousness screamed to her that her family needed her. Thinking of every little thing she was missing with them. Her youngest children's first steps, words and moments. Her eldest son getting named hand, Maekar's visits. The twin princesses and their own growing confidence as they embark on their mother's lengthy duties. Her dearest Aemon's wise and calm nature, her Daemon's hot - headed nature. Rhaenyra's wittiness.

The queen craved her children's company every time she had been away even though she forced herself not to. They were the royal children, they would be treated well and they would not want for anything. But as she would stroll in the markets of Qarth, she would see a small set of seed pearl jewelry that would remind of Rhaenys as she adored. At times she would find wonderful journals and texts that her dear Maekar would love.

But she knew she must be away from them, there was nothing that could be done about it. She could only pine for their company, their warmth and their comfort. Leila could only imagine now, if her children have hate for her for leaving them or for being a burden to them with her illness. The queen could only hold her breath as she felt her wrist and her palms wet,  her stomach filled with strange feelings she could not explain. She tried her hardest to count in her head, to calm down. 

The warmth of a large hand came to her rescue, looking up she found her husband looking at her worriedly. She waited a moment, squeezing his hand and slowly felt her breath return to her lungs. Her kingly husband spoke no words, he merely waited for her to compose herself. When the moment ended, she let go of his hand and sent him a soft smile in thanks.

"You mustn't worry yourself too much." Rhaegar whispers softly to her, his lilac eyes keenly reassuring her. His eyes had always been something Leila head liked, they were like soft purple skies  as night turns. Even now, it calmed her. "Our children are probably merely busy. They might show if we wait a little longer."

The queen sighed, as her eyes darted to her fingers which played with the white and silver silks she wore. "I would not imagine they would be this late. Our children used to never be this late to breaking fast with us, Rhaegar."

"Our dearest young ones are still here." He smiles at her, eyeing their younger children who were a little loud as they marveled at the white flower in the vase. Some were playing games with one another. Some were standing up and loudly declaring their names. Leila eyed the young ones, beautiful and bright children and soon gave a small smile. The king saw the sparkle in her eyes as she eyed their brood of children. "It is fine even if they do not show up. As long as we are together, even with very few. That is all that truly matters, right?"

"I suppose so." The queen replied happily as she stood up and slowly made her way to her young ones. The queen did not know why she was upset with not seeing her elder children. Perhaps it would be that they have grown older, far older with their own lives and not being her babe any longer. Time had went too quick and too swift. 

But she should never be upset, not even at her children. She should be glad, that they grew up well and that they are breathing, living a life where they are in no harm and are able to do as they wish. She should be happy and she should wish the same for these younglings of hers. They should be able to grow up well too, healthy, happy and to live their lives in their best way like their elder brothers and sisters.

"Mama!" The queen smiled widely, kissing the cheek of young Jaehaera as she beamed at her mother, eyeing her with those Marbrand eyes which were solemn and dark. Leila and Rhaegar had been pleasantly surprised at her birth to see her bark like eyes, but when the lord Tywin had come to look at the child and said how it reminded him of his own mother's gaze. Though there was no doubt that their daughter was a Targaryen, her hair was silver like the most of her family. 

"My dearest one," Leila smiled wider, pampering her daughter with small pecks all around her bright porcelain cheeks. The girl giggled beautifully, just like her kingly father does. "You have been good while mama has been away, yes?"

"Yes!"The girl beamed once Leila had stopped lovingly kissing her.  "I had been learning my lessons well, so much so brother Aegon praised me!"

Leila could see the pride in her daughter's eyes. The young ones looked up to their elder siblings, most especially big brother Aegon. They thought he was the kindest, as they always came into his chambers and played there. He did not at all mind, he even asked his servants to give tables and chairs to his younger siblings to play in and snacks for when they finally became tired of playing. Even when he was tired, he was never annoyed and came to play too.

The children adore him for it, of course.

"Is that so?" The princess nodded at her queen mother and Leila turned to eye her young son, Jaerion. When it was obvious that her daughter was now playing with her doll, she went to her young son. "And you, Jaerion? What did you do while mama was away, darling?"

Jaerion gave his mother bubbly smile, kissing his mother's lower jaw. "I went around and played! Brother Aerion played with me, he even did pranks with me!"

"Oh? Is that so?" Leila could imagine it now. Her two lion like children, both green eyed with mischief terrorizing the castle with their fun. "And what did you both do?"

"Fun things that father does not like, such when me and brother put horse dung on nuncle Jaime's boots!" Leila gasped as she looked at Rhaegar and he nodded, shaking his head. Clearly, he had kept it from here and clearly, he will keep it that way. Leila glared at him for a moment and turned to her young son.

"You mustn't do that to your nuncle. You know he works hard and you mustn't make his life even harder for him." 

"But he did not mind!"

"Just because your nuncle can laugh it off, does not mean I will, young man." Leila sighed, kissing his temple and brushed his golden hair. "You mustn't do that again, alright?"

He looked down a little. But then looked at her with those gorgeous green eyes, like a puppy. Leila could not help find him adorable. He looked too much like her brother Jaime then when they were younger. "Are you mad at me, mother?"

Leila had never been able to say no to her younger siblings in their youth and even now as a mother that trait had never changed. Leila sighed and shook her head softly. "No, my dearest boy. Though your mother wishes you would not do that again."

"....I will do my best, mother." He smiled widely at her again and kissed her once more, this time quickly on her cheek. Leila yelped softly but afterwards, giggled at her son.

Leila looked at her son and was reminded of her uncle Gerion for a moment. Her smile faltered for a moment, turning slightly to a frown. Her uncle had been gone for years, lost in the free cities during his travels. It had been hard for her when they had found out what had happened, she was in Dorne then. She had wept hard and went into hiding in her chambers for days, unable to comprehend the loss.

Her uncle Gerion had been her greatest friend, ally and confidant when she needed him. He had treated her like his own daughter, cared for her as if he was her father. He had made her laugh when she lost her mother, when she had been ripped away from Oberyn. He had been there for her through it all. 

When her son Jaerion was born on her nuncle's name day, Leila felt as if she had been blessed by the gods by returning her uncle to her in the form of her darling boy.  Even his loud laughter reminded her of her dear nuncle. Though her son was not the laughing lion, her son brought her joy again then and she was thankful to him and to the gods for that.

"Baella, do not jump!" Her husband said as Leila turned to watch their other young daughter turn to her father, smiled and jumped from her chair anyway. Gael stood up from her chair and did the same, which exasperated Rhaegar enough to stand as he feared for their safety. The young girls looked at one another, then slowly burst into a loud laughter.

"They certainly got that from you." Rhaegar exclaimed as the two young princesses came to their father's knee. Leila could not deny it. She smiled softly and nodded as her husband picked the two daughters up, lifting them up into his arms. 

He gazed at his young daughters. "You both are going to tire me out."

"Fun, fun!" The two said together as Rhaegar sighed, smiling in defeat.

"You must had your hands full of them while I had been gone." Leila exclaimed as she came toward her husband, putting a hand over Baella's silver blond crown and giving a gentle kiss. "You put them to bed every night yourself, do you not?"

Rhaegar nodded in confirmation. "I did. These two are the ones who never slept early. It took until late to do so."

"They look so similar, yet they are not twins." Leila smiled. "They adore more of each other now, I think. They used to be annoyed at one at each other."

"They both liked the same dolls and ended up playing while you were away." Rhaegar smiles, recalling the moment when the septas had told him as such. "I immediately ordered for more dolls for them to use, in the condition that they would do it together. They agreed hastily."

"We should have done that a while back, then. It would have made it so much easier."

He laughs. "That we should have."

The king was a busy man, but he never was busy for his family. He made it so the moment he became king and years passed, it was still the same. Leila knew that he loved his children more than anything and he would do anything to be with them. If anything, she knows that he has a softer spot for their younger children because he knows them more, inside and out.

Back when they had only their six elder children, Rhaegar had always been away due to the former king. The king had tried the best he could then, but majority of the time, Leila had been left to manage their household and her children. Though he helped when he could when he was around, it was not always as full as it was now.

The king, older and passed his prime, wanted to be with his family at every moment just like his wife. Perhaps it was the passing of youth to him, perhaps it was the loss of time and perhaps even because of nostalgia. But he wanted to be there for them, to watch them grow up and be a present father the way he could not fully with his elder children.

Leila appreciates that about her husband, especially as she travels to maintain her health. She felt terrible abandoning her children, especially the youngest ones. But she knew there was not much she could do about it. It gives her relief that at the very least, her children had their father. They deserve a parent even if it was not her.

"Brother!" Gael beams loudly, squirming at her father's hold and thrashed slightly and along with her was her long platinum crown. Baella joined her sister Leila and Rhaegar's brows furrowed as they turned to face the door way and awkwardly, Jacaerys stood there dressed in a dark linen, a long cloak in faded silver and his hair tied neatly away. "Jacaerys, brother!"

"Your grace." Jacaerys bowed lowly in front of his royal parents. Though he bowed only a short while as the queen quickly took his hands and pulled him into an embrace, "Your grace-"

"What have I told you about calling me such a ridiculous name?" Leila says to the young man, her lips quivered lowly as she tightly held onto him. "You are my son. You should not be doing a courtesy to me or calling me that."

"I am sorry....I.." Jon is overwhelmed as he slowly returned the embrace. "I must have forgotten."

"You should not forget me." Leila frowns a little later as their embrace ends. "I would be heavily disappointed that my own boy will not remember me."

"You must understand that your mother misses you too much." Rhaegar exclaims to the young dark haired man. Jon saw his father's gentle gaze towards him. "I am glad you can make it, son."

"Of course, I miss him. I have not seen him since his name day. Rarely sends me a raven!" Leila responds, putting her hands on his face and let it go. "That was a year ago.....oh, my dear son. You have gotten so thin! What have they been feeding you in Winterfell?"

"I...I often forget to eat." Jon exclaims, as he heard his younger siblings run to him and pull at his trousers excitedly. He smiled at them briefly, hearing them say his name. They missed him. "It has become a problem, I should think.."

It was not fully a lie, he often forgets to eat at Winterfell. He often occupies himself with working in the armory. Though it was to avoid the gaze of everyone else, especially that of lady Catelyn. "But I do not starve, m-mother. I often eat when I can."

"You must have worked hard, then." The king exclaims as he tried to calm his daughters. "I remember Ned had said that you worked on learning how to create swords?"

"Yes," Jon breathed out quickly as he bent down and picked up Jaehaera and Jaerion, who both pull him into the smallest yet tightest of embraces. "I have been learning the craft well, father. I've managed to make small daggers so far. I have brought a few as gifts...."

"You didn't have to work too hard!" Leila sighed at the dark haired boy, looking fondly at her boy. "The happiest gift for me is to see you well. You must not repeat starving yourself over such a trivial thing. There is more time to learn it. Your health comes first, you understand?"

Jon nodded, offering her a small smile. He always felt warm inside knowing she cared for him the most. Even if he was not her child, he could imagine even for a moment that he was. For a moment, he could imagine that he was not the cause of all her pain then and even now.

For a moment, he could pretend to be her true born son.

"I will try to take care more in the future." She seemed satisfied with his reply.

"You may present the daggers to everyone later." She clapped her hands, looking at her son. Then to her husband. Rhaegar noted she seemed more happier now, he could see it in her eyes. Her love for Jacaerys was special, after all. "But now, we shall eat."

He raised a brow. "You do not wanna wait for the others any longer?"

"No, it seems they are busy. I cannot do anything about that." She says, entangling her arm to that of Jacaerys. "But as you said earlier Rhaegar, it is fine if we are few. As long as we are together still, that is all that matters, right?"

The queen led Jacaerys to the table as he carried Jaerion and Jaehaera in his arms. The king took a small breath and smiled, following his wife happily. 

Though they were incomplete, Leila was happy.

This was why she lives everyday.

This is why she left home.

To have more moments like this.

In her home, with her family, her paradise.

AEGON HAD WONDERED WHEN THE LAST TIME HE HAD SLEPT. However, as tired he was, he was not willing to shut his eyes. Especially as he sits there and listens to the two disputing low lords before him, arguing with one another rather than trying to impress him with their side of the story over the dispute they supposedly had over. Not a day goes by where the silver prince did not have a day spent in moments like this. 

The prince had haunting memories in this very room. He could recall it all too well. As the lords and ladies pushed each other through the wide spaces of the great hall, the prince could vividly point out where his grandfather had the lord Stark and his heir burn. It was odd, to seat in the same throne where a mad man sat and chuckled hard as two people died. His mother held him just in the steps, in a platform constructed for the throne of queen. He could feel her tightening hold on him even now. 

It both scared and bored him all at once. He did not want to be here for the painful sorrows and the boredom of this duty. But perhaps that was human nature in itself. Aegon admitted well, it was as human as he was going to get. Though at times he forgets, the moments he remembers well that he is a breathing human being makes him think deeper about who he is.

Heart beating fully, blood and flesh existing, Aegon is a man who knows he is not immune to the boredom his position had for him. That was what people did not know about him truly. People think that he is continuously this man who does no fault, righteous in everything and loved his work above all. The prince sighed, adjusting his sitting position.

It was not untrue, the prince was knowingly true to his cause to be a force towards the future and his people. As befits his work and position as hand and as heir to the throne. But he was not without his own desires. At times, he wishes he was not in the throne room hearing these people shout and fight. At times, he wishes he was in his chambers in the quiet. Reading a book or two. Perhaps spent time with his family, meet his younger siblings to see their progress in studies and play with them at times.

The glistening sea foam green eyes of the prince felt. Blinking for a moment, his mind drifted to memories of days that were long gone, reminded of the hopes he had as he thought of his younger siblings, departing from the throne room. He could feel his heart lighten at the fact that they would not have to be burden with these things the eldest Targaryen had been dealing with. Aegon had grown up quite fast than most children, even for his position of privilege.

He wondered for a moment - 'has it ever been a choice or was that destiny for someone like me? or perhaps it had been both?"

The prince could remember the vow he swore at the age of six after his grandfather and his own father acted with madness and recklessness, he did not want to watch his family or the kingdoms suffer again. From that thought, it would be a choice. Aegon made the choice to go down this path. Just as many do.

But it was not like he could run away either. Born into this position of responsibility and power, he can never shun it. No matter what, this was who he is going to be. The gods willed it, his mother had always said to him. He was born to be the prince of these kingdoms and more so, he was destined to be its king one day.

The thought weigh heavy on his head as always. He can never stop thinking about it and perhaps he never will be able to not think about it. The thoughts that blossom in his mind like weeds in a well kept garden was astonishing to him, worried him at times. At times, the crown prince hoped to be more like Maekar. 

His brother had always been able to do what he wills, regardless of what anyone says. It reminded him that his brother was joy and he was pride, two halves of a whole. He cannot be like Maekar and Maekar cannot be like him. 

The thought of it would have made him laugh, had he not been used to the fortunes of his existence. The gods had written his stars so cruelly. But he should not be complaining. He gets to live well, he can bear with his sufferings. 

Perhaps it will get better one day.

"I told you that it is my land your son was prowling about, you scoundrel!" The older lord, a lower vassal of the lord Sunglass exclaimed loudly. It brought him back to conscious reality.

The bearded lowly lord gawked angrily. "My son has been gifted that land by the lord Sunglass himself, to thank my son for his service!"

Aegon's conscious gaze spotted his younger brother, standing there in a long dark doublet, with a wine colored cloak. His brother stood in the corner of the room, giggling silently quite aware of Aegon's repulse over the matter. Aegon sighed, he always found audiences something he could mock, even when they were children. Maekar used to get in trouble for it. 

The prince's lips threatened to form a smile remembering that time Maekar had called Falyse Stokeworth annoying and ugly when house Stokeworth had been greeting them during the audience. His brother was smiling so widely too, in all his Valyrian perfection. Everyone laughed then. Their father had scolded Maekar but he explained he had no means to feel guilt for the lady Stokeworth had insulted his mother's white hair.

"Your grace!" The bearded lord suddenly exclaimed causing Aegon out of his trance once more, fixing his position on the iron throne. "I came to you as our overlord and prince of Dragonstone. I urge you to seek my word and believe in justice!"

"Lies, such acid falls off your tongue!" The older lord shrieked loudly. "You mustn't believe this unbelievable prince of lies. He has born himself in lies!"

"Enough!" Aegon had allowed his feet to lead him up, looking towards his two lower vassals. His eyes felt like daggers to the two lords as they lowered themselves and bowed. Maekar stopped his laughter and for a moment stared at his brother from a far.

'He indeed looks like a king...' The younger Targaryen thought as the light pierced through the Targaryen symbol made of glass. It reflected on his elder brother well, perhaps their ancestors see that too. 'My elder brother, destined to be the king. Perhaps the greatest of all of us....'

"This matter shouldn't have been this severe in the first place, had you come to the lord Sunglass first to clarify the matter before coming to me." The prince of dragonstone's tone was frozen like ice. Maekar could only grin as he shivered. His brother's tone often feels like cold fire, freezing your every person. "I understand that as your lord and prince of dragonstone, I have a responsibility to you. But you did not follow the proper procedures and have wasted important time, time for which I could use to work for the betterment of the kingdoms."

"Perhaps....your grace would prefer if they sent their complaints on paper?" Maester Pycelle exclaimed as he stood there at the steps of the iron throne. "To judge their complaints fairly and come up with a decision that would be fair."

"Yes, I would prefer that." He replies, a little calmer now. Aegon was a little furious at the grand maester for a moment. He could have suggested that matter of solution earlier and he did not. He wasted his time for nothing. He turned back to the lords, "I will not have this matter repeat again. You will go first to your lord before to me, your overlord and prince. This will be the last time you will make this matter interfere with more pressing matters."

The two lords both bow to the prince, a sense of fear could be felt as Aegon's green eyes continue to look down on them. It felt that for a moment, Tywin Lannister was there with them. The entire court could feel the presence of the old lion in the room through the prince. There was no doubt why he was chosen to replace his formidable grandfather.

When the two lords disappear from his sight, the prince sighed turning to the grand maester. "Are we finally finished? Or is there more that needs to be settled?"

The grand maester took a feeble nod. "Yes, your grace. That is all."

"Then I will depart." Aegon exclaims as he saw Visenya appear through the crowd along with his own guards. He acknowledges her as he took the steps from the throne. He looks at Maekar, whom nods at him. He slowly makes his way out of the great hall, the lords and ladies in attendance kneeling down to bow to him.

"Well, that was a shit show." Maekar suddenly appears beside the prince, causing Visenya to point her sword at him. Maekar backs away, the sword near his throat. He laughs. "Oh, dear sister. You best not kill me by being hasty."

"You were the one making surprise appearances." Visenya says, unfazed as she takes her sword back into its sheath. "Besides, it's my job to protect Aegon. The quicker, the better."

"Well, you live up to your name." He says, laughing once more as he referred to her namesake.

 She sighed, "And you do not."

He grinned, "Aye, I do not."

"You kept distracting me with your giggling." Aegon exclaimed, continuing to walk as Maekar followed him. "If I had cracked, It would have reflected quite badly."

"Ah, you worry too much about your stereotype!"

He sighed at his younger brother. "Well, it is a stereotype that people believe in. They respect the almighty prince Aegon of Dragonstone. I cannot have you ruin that."

Maekar rolled his eyes. "You were about to burst out laughing earlier, I could see your lips twitch!"

Aegon gasp slightly. "I did not!"

"Gods, there is no point deflecting. I know you, we shared chambers for years!"

The two brothers bickered in whispers as they made their way across the outer yard, passing many who were quite curious about the two princes and their conversation as they watched them briefly, averting the eyes of the prince's guard. But they were not surprised. The prince of Dragonstone had always spoken well together with the prince Maekar. It was always like this with the younger prince around.

Aegon halted, Maekar along with him in the middle of the outer yard as they saw their nuncle Jaime coming towards them, with his body tightly grasped into Lannister red, a white and gold cloak draped in his back. When the elder knight managed to come, he bowed to his two nephews. Jaime looked up to see his green eyes upon his own nephew's green sea foam eyes, putting a hand on his shoulder. 

"Get up, uncle." The crown prince said as Jaime slowly obliged. He gave a small smile towards his nephew. "You mustn't bow too long. You know I already despise it that you have to bow to me."

"Family or not, this is the way it is, nephew." Jaime exclaimed, happy to see his nephew. It felt like yesterday when he had seen a boy in this young prince. But now he was a man and Jaime could not be prouder, his sister had raised a fine young man. Perhaps even better, a finer king.

"It has been a while, hasn't it?"

"Uncle, don't say that before you have embraced me." Maekar whispers to his uncle jokingly, causing his uncle to laugh. Jaime came forward and embraced his nephew. "It's so good to see you, uncle. You haven't come to see us in a while."

Jaime departs from the hug. "Well, you know your grandfather. He likes putting us all to work."

"Wait, you have yet to give Visenya an embrace too." Maekar smirks, patting his sister in the back. Visenya glared at him. "Come on, sister. That is not how you welcomed uncle when you were younger!"

"Your grace." Jaime exclaimed as he bowed before Visenya. Visenya asked her uncle to stand up and soon, Jaime opened his arms for her. The princess sighed and awkwardly came into his embrace. Jaime could only laugh. Back then, she was a little bit more open to embraces. Though, it would seem it was because Visenya had grown up too much. "It is all good to see you."

"It is good to see you too, uncle. Truly. Your presence reassures us well."

Jaime smiled at his elder nephew's compliment. "I feel very touched by your words, Aegon. I feel glad to have your confidence."

"I had forgotten, why are you here?" Maekar suddenly asks out of the blue. Aegon and Visenya look at their younger sibling as if he had grown another head on his shoulder. Maekar made a face. "What? It's a genuinely good question!"

Jaime laughed at Maekar's bashfulness. It made him happy to see that his sister's children had grown up well but maintain their youth in them. "Your mother had invited us on the annual gathering. It is alright if you did not know. It was all sudden. Your sister here has managed to tell us that there was an error."

"But despite that, mother is here and her gathering will continue." Visenya added as the Lannister lord nodded. The silver princess looked at her uncle. "I presume you came here with an objective."

"Yes, the first is to see you all. It has been a while, after all. I think this is a great opportunity for all of us to bond." Jaime smirks, eyes filled with mischief as he gazed at the three. "I will have to see as well if your skills improved."

"Acolyte or not, I feel as though my skills improved." Maekar boasted, grinning widely. "Fighting with drunks in Oldtown's pubs are a real thing."

VIsenya scoffed. "You haven't even defeated me yet, Maekar."

"I'll show you, Visenya! Let's go to the court yard later and I'll show you!"

Aegon turned to Maekar and put a finger on his mouth. He then turned back to his uncle. "What is the other objective then?"

Jaime's lips fell in a flat line. "I escorted your father here from Whitehall. He came to have a word with you. The others are there."

The three Targaryen children looked at one another. 

"Does that mean you convinced Daemon to come then?" Maekar was the the first to break the silence. "Don't tell me you found him in one of Littlefinger's brothels."

"No, I found him with the goldcloaks. He was drunk. Aemon was there, thankfully. He helped me carry your brother. Oberyn forced him sober."

"I must apologize about Daemon, he must have caused you quite the trouble again." Aegon whispers, wondering how many times he had apologized for his younger brother's behaviour. "I will make sure it does not happen again."

"That's what Aemon said." Jaime says, but puts a hand on his nephew's shoulder and squeezed it to assure him. "And you must stop apologizing for your brother. It was his own fault. Do not worry."

Aegon put his head down as Maekar sighed, wondering what he could do to cheer his brother up. Visenya was the one who spoke for them. "Is our father in the small hall?"

"Yes, they are all there. He would like to talk to you."

Visenya nodded and turned to Aegon. "Stop worrying about Daemon's behaviour. We should go."

Aegon lifted his head and nodded. He turned to Maekar who returned his look.

He asked his uncle to lead the way.

Maekar watched from behind his brother.

He knew what was going through his mind.

The burdens of the eldest continue to talk a toll on him.

If this hurts him now, what could happen when he is king?

IT WAS ODD TO COME AND SEE ONE ANOTHER ONCE AGAIN. That was what Maekar would like to say but he stayed silent as he entered the small hall the royal family and selected guests were allowed to dine here then celebrating name-days of specific members of the royal family.  They rarely use it now as a celebratory hall. It was now privately used as a dining hall for the royal family when they were there. Or at least when some were there.

The ceiling was quite high, made of pure marble stone that came from far away. He could not recall who had made it as such. He didn't think that it was important. What mattered was that he appreciated his ancestor's work.  The arches were completely independent, standing half the size of what it looks like in the great hall, with small carvings of dragons everywhere. The eyes were staring right in his soul, as if his ancestors watching every act he was to make. 

Each arch had a banner of the lion and the dragon together, carefully attached with ropes. Maekar always thought it too excessive, an overbearing sense of pride. His grandfather liked it more than he did. It was a symbol to him, a way to show who now ruled the realm. He wondered if he can ask Rhaenys to remodel it all away, make it more silver and whites. Though perhaps, Rhaenys will have a difference in opinion. She never liked commending other's will as her own.

The acolyte prince could pick out memories of his mother's nameday after her coronation as queen. It was a huge celebration, with large and bright festivals ships provided by the Redwyne and Lannister fleets. There were tourneys and games, the people drunk the most precious of Arbor gold and reds, they gave out pools of silver and gold to the masses and entertainments with jesters, singers and minstrels.

But he did not get to see all of that, rather Maekar only fully remembered the ones celebrated within the halls of the red keep. His mother had wanted nothing more than a private gathering for her family, dear friends and certain nobles. His father had granted it and planned it himself, not sparing any opportunity to spend as much as he could to gift his wife a memorable nameday.

Maekar recalled himself being a troublemaker then. Rushing around from table to table, playing in a game of hide and seek with his brother Aerion. It flustered the kingsguard so much, to the point that the white cloaks were tainted with wine. The prince recalled how his mother tried to have a disapproving gaze, but she could not help laugh in one moment where Maekar had accidentally put a piece of fish onto grand maester Pycelle's clothes. 

The banquet tables were so full too, there was boar meat which his uncle Jaime had caught in a hunt for his mother's  honor. There was so much suckling pigs roasted in a spit with its insides melting with various wonderful exotic spices, his grandfather had an entire farm slaughtered of pigs to accommodate all the guests. 

The desserts and sweets were what he remembered the most, having called all his siblings, including Aegon to take one each time they passed by and hide it in their clothes to keep later that night for bed. But the food only kept piling in, to the point that he thought they had appeared as if there was a mage manipulating the banquet tables.

They did not get in trouble though.

He could only give out a heavy breath in silence.

Perhaps it was wrong for a prince to be but Maekar was quite sentimental, full of this grandiose dream that his family would always remain beautifully close. There was so much that could have been with them, he thought.  They were quite close in their youth, but Maekar could only speculate all the things that caused them to drift apart, there was too many things that had happened. Including him leaving. 

There was no one to be blamed, even though some of his siblings don't share the opinion. He knew that either way, things were bound to happen. Especially now that they lived their own separate lives. Though, it was not bad to dream. 

Perhaps it was possible, perhaps it was not.

Only the gods knew.

"Ah, the star of the party has arrived." He heard his younger brother Daemon mockingly say as he watched their elder brother Aegon take his place. The younger Targaryen was taller than Maekar, his eyes the darkest amethyst he had ever seen. His silver hair was disheveled, though it was surprisingly neat. "I never thought you would come."

Prince Aemon frowned at his twin brother, putting a hand on his shoulder. "Daemon, you musn't speak like that to our elder brother. We must pay him some respect."

The darkness in Daemon's eyes prevails as he gazed at Aegon. "He can earn my respect when he acts properly."

"I should say the same to you, Daemon." The elder's tone was serious, though not threatening. It was the calmest Aegon could give. 

"Considering you were probably catching a horrid disease from your whores, you shouldn't be so loud." The Lannister like prince Aerion exclaimed, yawning. "I would imagine you'll die quicker before you ever get his respect, brother Daemon."

"The word whores and we haven't had breakfast yet." The youngest of all thus far, Rhaenyra whispered rolling her brown eyes. Her hand pushed her sand like blonde hair away, tucked behind her ear. "You consider yourselves my elders, but you have all lost manners."

"It's not my fault you slept late with that silly little Dornish knight of yours." Maekar snorted at his younger sister. "I should tell on you, perhaps that could get you some manners of your own."

"How are you all my siblings?" Visenya shook her head, putting her hand over her temples. "You cause me so much headaches."

"Visenya, have you eaten? Shall we get some tea for you?" Rhaenys whispered, worriedly inquiring over her older sister. "I can call a maid for you."

"No, no, its fine, Rhaenys."

"You bicker like you are still children." The voice heard made them pause as they turned towards the other side of the room. Their father the king stood there, his hands on his back. Behind him, Jacaerys stood awkwardly in silence. "You can afford to do this and miss an important matter today?"

"What is he doing here?" Daemon spat out in a fit, his knuckles tightening as Aemon held his shoulder tighter. "He shouldn't be here!"

"He is our brother, he has and always will have every right to be here." Aegon exclaimed in response, "I would expect you to shut up if you have nothing kind to say."

"I've gathered you here to act cordially, not to bicker." The king says, walking towards his own seat. "Jacaerys, sit where you would like."

Jacaerys turned around and saw Rhaenys patting a chair beside him, quite a bit far from Daemon. Jacaerys did not know what to do but slowly he walked towards the location of his elder sibling  and hesitated.  Rhaenys placed her hand on his, calming him and a little later he sat down. 

The king sat comfortably as he eyed his children, placing his hands together on his chest. "You must be wondering why I have gathered you all together."

"I have no time to play with your sick games, old man." Daemon exclaimed antagonistically, glaring at his own father. "Just tell us and be done with it."

"You had all the time to play with your rowdiness in the pubs, all your debts and your misfortune with tavern wenches." Rhaegar glared back at his son. "Therefore, you have all the time in the world here, Daemon."

The silence was maintained despite Daemon's eagerness to retaliate towards his father but no one dared speak, knowing their father's tone was not a joke. Their father had always been a calm man, but when he was angered, it was as if a dragon had been awoken from slumber. It had 

"Is something the matter, father?" Aegon asked for the rest of them.

The king did not speak.

He leaned back and sighed.

"You all knew your mother had returned from her voyage." The king exclaimed, turning to his children left to right. "But none of you showed today. It upset her."

The royal children were left quiet.

They knew better than to upset their father.

Especially regarding their mother.

The king banged the table hard, making some of them jump. "The audacity of you all. Her own children!"

"Where were you all, huh? I sent messengers to all of you, so that you would not forget. You knew how important this is to your mother." He says, his breath hot from anger. "She barely comes home due to her illness, you all know that but all of you were too busy being fools!"

Aegon raised his hand. "Father, I was in the middle of representing you-"

"You dragged it for too long, Aegon. I heard what it was about. It was not even your duty to settle that matter, it was supposed to be handled by their lord before their overlord. You knew this." He then pointed to Visenya and Maekar, "You both were there, for gods sake! You knew that it wasn't supposed to be this long!"

Rhaegar then pointed to Rhaenyra, who had her lips open as her father spoke. "And you young lady, I have tolerated your insolent behavior for far too long. Especially with bringing men to your chambers. If your mother had heard what you have been doing, she would be horrified. You could impact her health further, you are not being careful."

"Aemon! You are always soft on your brother Daemon. You don't allow him to learn from his mistakes. Your mother has always been covering up for him and so have you. He is no longer a boy." The king exclaimed hard, standing up from his chair. He slammed the table again. "You are contributing to his toxicity. Your mother worries about it enough, you mustn't make it worse."

The room was silent as the king took a moment to breathe. Maekar could see it in his eyes, it was a dragon's eyes. And it was only right. Their father knew how valuable their time is with their mother, for she never comes home often. 

There was not a day when they had not remember their father counting down the days of their mother's return and when she had come home, it mattered that those memories she had of her return were good and kind memories rather than memories that would only cause her stress and anxiety.

Maekar could not remember the last time this happened, but even then it wasn't this bad.

'Is mother's illness getting much worse than we thought?' Maekar thought solemnly. 'That cannot be....'

"Your brother Jacaerys remembered and went there without hesitation, he remembered your mother and how much she matters." Rhaegar whispers now, finally calmed after releasing his frustration of his children. "I would have expected, her own children. Children she reared, bore and did everything for would be there for her. I sent messengers and not one of you replied."

"Your grace," The king closed his eyes and turned to the same door way from where he came. Ser Barristan bowed to him and cleared his throat. "The small council is ready for you, your grace."

"I will be there, lord Barristan. Thank you." He nodded at Barristan, who left soon after. The king held onto his mahogany chair tightly and looked at his children once the door closed again.

 "Your mother has only been blessed by the gods with more time and they could easily rip it away once again. Do not waste it any longer than you have. I do not know what some of you all were doing further but we will continue this later. You will all show up tonight at your mother's banquet in Whitehall and you will apologize to her. I will no longer take any more of your horrid behavior."

Rhaegar removed his hand from the chair and stood proudly in front of his children. He straightened his sleeves and sighed. "I will not repeat this again. If  you refuse to apologize for upsetting your mother and continue this behavior, I will not hesitate to retaliate. I do not care if you hate me, but I will protect your mother, even from you. Am I understood?"

The royal children all simultaneously nodded at their father.

Rhaegar clapped his hands together.

"I must go. We will talk more later." The king exclaimed as he waved to the servant by the door who knocked towards the outside. The wide doorway was opened. The king turned to his heir. "Lord hand, I expect you to be there in the small council, is that understood?"

The crown prince cleared his throat and bowed to his father. "Yes, of course, your grace."

"Good."

The king then took his leave then, followed by Jacaerys who apologized to his siblings and left soon after. 

The royal children were left alone. The feeling of everything empty out onto them as the harshness of their father's words came to ring to their being even further. The first to leave was Rhaenyra, tears in her eyes as she quickly made her way out the small hall, running towards the Maiden Vault.

Daemon's own position became a mess as he stood up, the chair falling and soon enough, his hands turned to break the vases made of beautiful clear porcelain and left. Aemon whispered soft apologies to his family and hurried after his twin brother. 

"Where were you?" Aegon questioned Aerion and Rhaenys as he closed his hands and rested them on the table.

"I...I was meeting with mother's servants at the Winged Lion." Rhaenys whispered.

"I can tell that it was lie the moment you spoke." Visenya sighed at her sister. "You met with that black smith again, didn't you?"

"What black smith?" Maekar whistled as Visenya glared at him. Rhaenys slouched sadly.

"I did not know where the messenger was. I left on my own to see him."

"You know you cannot be with a low born boy, Rhaenys. He is not from our world." Aegon exclaims to his sister as she finally breaks down. "You cannot continue to see him, I forbid it."

Maekar then turns to their younger Aerion. "And what is your excuse?"

".....I explored the secret passages." Aerion mumbled under his breath but Maekar heard it and hit him over the head, "Ow!"

"Idiot, why would you go through there? You know that some of the chambers are not yet known! Also, that damn spider Varys always is there!"

"I know, I know....but I was curious!"

"This cannot happen again, otherwise it will be disastrous." Aegon shifted his sitting position, looking at Visenya and Aerion. "Both of you have to report where you are to Visenya and Maekar until further notice. You cannot go anywhere without them. Mother's visit is important. We cannot continue to waste the opportunity."

Rhaenys nodded solemnly as Aerion pouted, though Maekar pulled on his ear causing him to get mad at his elder who only laughed.

Aegon stood, with Visenya following him outside. He stopped her. "I will bring lady Dayne with me instead. Watch Rhaenys and make sure she is okay."

"Oh, of course." Visenya nodded.

"Tell her I am sorry." Aegon says in a mumble, turning his back to his younger sister. "I know that she wants to be able to fall in love...but in our world, I don't believe that is possible. She is not...she is not just someone, Visenya."

"I know.....she knows that too. She will not be so upset with you."

He smiled sadly. "That's a lie and you know it."

Before Visenya could say anything else, Aegon turned away and with him his other guards.

Aegon felt completely tired, but there was much still that has to happen.

But today, it cannot happen again.

He cannot fail again.

Otherwise....

Hello, my lovelies!

I am still alive!

Ahhhhh, the story is moving more and more and soon, we will have the colliding of worlds! Joanna is coming in the next chapter <3333

I am excited to bring you more content as soon such as a podcast (where i'll talk about random things I like such as history) as I am able and it has been really really hard for me lately especially financially due to the issues brought on by the pandemic. Though I am looking for a job, I made the hard decision to open a ko-fi and also a patreon.

The patreon is still under evaluation but I will fill you in about it sooner or later. But the ko-fi is able now and if you would like to help support me in this trying time (even though I am very embarrassed about it), please click here : https://ko-fi.com/mononijikayu

I will be publishing some works there, including beginning the AU stories related to Devotion as thanks. 

I know some of you probably could not do that as  you are also working hard to keep yourselves afloat in these trying times, but I do not mind if you cannot send any help. I feel your love is more than enough and you love is always going to be enough.

I am happy knowing that my words can comfort you even without getting anything in return.

I absolutely love you guys and soon, I will be trying to finish everything so that you can enjoy these stories. I will work harder to be a better writer for you <333

Thank you so much for reading as always and always stay safe, wear a mask as always and drink lots of water!

I will see you in the next one!

xoxoxoxo Author

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

91.6K 2.7K 64
Lya Baratheon is the oldest and only biological child of Cersei Lannister and Robert Baratheon, but unlike her younger brother she is kind and gentle...
6.4K 304 26
β˜… THE LAST DRAGON, maelys targaryen β˜† THE HISTORIAN, kyra baratheon β˜… THE BETTER BROTHER, rylon baratheon β˜† THE FEARLESS, kiren lannister β˜… THE VALIA...
209K 8.1K 190
Aelinor Baratheon stands out in her family. She doesn't have the golden hair and green eyes of her mother and younger siblings. Nor does she have bla...
625K 20.1K 181
Daveth Baratheon is the eldest son of King Robert I Baratheon and Queen Cersei Lannister, the only one of four children she bore her lawful husband...