I Will Always Bet On You // B...

By 263FANDOM362

Lacy Miller was New York's new uprising reporter. Her way with words give readers an extraordinary image of a... More

1. Hello Stranger
2. Dinner and a Show
3. Strip chess
4. She's Evil
5. Jealous
6. 30 Moves
7. Bring Back the Party
9. Forgiveness
10. Epilogue

8. Hospital Visits

2.7K 65 72
By 263FANDOM362

It was four weeks until she was supposed to head to Paris. Two days after her breakup. Lacy was trying to think of an excuse so someone else could report on it. Andrew had stopped by to check on her, she thanked him. Getting his number and information, but in that moment her understood she wanted some time alone.

Lacy's phone wouldn't stop ringing. She knew it was Benny and her work calling. She never finished the article on the predictions on Beth's matches against the Soviets. And she didn't plan on finishing it.

Lacy had called her mom, she needed to get away from her area for a while. She was going to head there once she packed. She had also called Andrew, telling him where she was going, and she wanted to meet when she came back home. Give him a real thank you, not just a drunk to depressed on.

--------
She stayed at her mothers for 5 days. Pretending that everything was alright, but her 4 glasses of wine at dinner every night proved different. When anyone asked her what was wrong, she denied any was wrong, but even her eyes couldn't hide her pain. By the time she went back home she had, emails, voice mails, letters. She didn't open a single one.

Lacy placed her bags down, sighing as her phone started ringing. She answered it. "Hello." Her voice was tired.

"Lacy! Where have you been? We've been trying to reach you for a week. What happen to that article?" Her bosses words rushed through the phone.

"I'm sorry, I can't finish this article. I"ll send you everything I have, but i cant finish." Her voice cracked at the end.

"Lacy, is everything okay?" Her and her boss had a very close relationship.

"I will be." Lacy sighed.

"Okay, send me what you got." With that he hung up. Lacy did as she was told. She was happy that she no longer had to look at was was remaining of this article.

Lacy went to her bathroom, drawing herself a bath. She brought a new bottle of wine and a glass with her. She sighed as she stepped into the warm water. Her glass remained empty as she decided to just drink from the bottle. She sat in the warm water for what seemed like hours. Lacy sighed sliding down the tub, until her chin was the in the water. With one big breath she slid her head under. She watched bubbles from her nose, float to the surface. She had never felt such sorrow.

She stayed under the water until he lungs burnt. Her head popped out of the water, taking a large gasp of air. She hadn't realized that she had been crying until she came out of the water. She grew dependent on Benny, without him she felt lost. She didn't know what she was dong now. Anywhere she went for work, he would be there, same with Beth.

Her bath started to get cold, thats how she knew she needed to get out. Lacy ran her pruned fingers through her wet hair. She felt alone. Even when she had people with her she felt like she was missing something, and it was him.

---------

That's how lacy spent most of her days, she only had two weeks until Paris, and she was dreading that more than anything. She would hang out with Andrew, but he was just a friend. She didn't see him as anything else. Lacy occasionally would get an article to edit, which she didn't mine, it helped her brain escape the chess world.

It was a Wednesday when her phone rang. She wasn't going to answer, but something convinced her too. She was shocked to hear her mothers voice on the other line. "Lacy?" She confused why her mom sounded so formal.

"Mom?" Lacy couldn't hide the worry in her voice.

"It's your grandfather." Lacy's back hit the wall behind her. "He just fell, he couldn't breath. Were in the hospital right now, you need to get here." Amanda's voice cracked. Lac could hear her taking deep breaths, keeping her tears in for the moment.

"I'll be there as soon as I can." She hung the phone up. Lacy's feet carried her around her apartment as she grabbed her things. She made a quick call to Andrew.

"Hello?" His deep voice answered.

"Andrew it's me. I'm going to the hospital right now, my grandfather is there. I cant have dinner tonight." She almost broke into a sob, but kept strong, talking fast.

"Yeah, yeah. That's totally fine, can I do anything?" He could hear her shaking breaths.

"No, I'll keep you updated." She hung up. Lacy numbly left her apartment, locking the door, flagging down a taxi. It took 20 minutes to get to the hospital. She ran in the door, looking for her mom. She saw her mom sitting in a chair down the main hallway, pulling at her hair. "Where is he?" She ran to her mom, her mom looked up, tears covered her face.

"In there, he's not awake. They said we would have to wait it out. There's nothing they can do, he's too sick." Her mom grabbed her hand. Lacy nodded, lowly making her way into the room. There on the hospital bed layer her Grandfather. The best man she had ever met. The one who taught her everything she knew. Who lead her to the life she had today. Tears rushed to her eyes seeing him like that. She wasn't ready to see him go.

Walking to the side of his bed Lacy too Jeff's hand. She watched his eyes flutter open. "Hey darling." Her stroked the back of her hand with his thumb.

She felt her tears about to spill. "Hey grandpa." She smiled sadly. His face looked gray, and it was only now that Lacy could see his age. She had just seen him less than two weeks ago, how could this happen so fast.

"Don't cry my angel." His hand shook as he tried to lift it. He reached her face, wiping a tear that had rolled down her cheek.

"Listen to me, you're going to get better. You have to live long enough to walk me down the isle, to see me have kids, your great grand kids." She huffed out in sobs. "I cant lose you, I'm not ready." She held his hand with both of hers now.

"It's all a matter of time darling. People come and go. You don't need me for all of that, you have your mother. I've watched you become the women you are today, and that's what has made my life so great. I couldn't be more proud of you. Don't cry for me, because I have had a great life. I have loved and been loved back. I know it's sad, but I'm ready to see your grandmother again." Jeff smiled at the girl, who felt like she was a kid again.

She choked back sobs, laying her head on the edge of the bed. Tears streamed down her face. Her grandfather ran his hand on her hair. His heart broke watching his granddaughter cry. "Did you bring your chessboard?" He asked. She slowly lifted her head, her eyes full of tear. She nodded slowly grabbing her bag.

They had moved the table, so she could sit on the end of the bed and he could sit up. They played for hours. Lacy's tears had dried up, as she talked to her grandfather like there was no illness in his body. She would waste whatever time she had left with him. Her mother sat on the small couch, occasionally sniffling watching the two loves of her life. Amanda wasn't ready to be alone, not in a big house. She didn't know how she was going to do it all by herself.

"Now don't go easy on me." Jeff laughed as Lacy let him win. The laughter stopped when he broke into a coughing fit. Lacy jumped off the bed. He mother ran to get a nurse. Lacy rubbed his back as he coughed. She was scared, she didn't know what to do. The nurse came in telling the women to wait in the hall. They both went into the hall.

"He seemed so normal until then." Lacy didn't look to her mom who was silently crying.

"He's good at hiding it." Amanda sniffled.

"Where's the phone?" She asked her mother who pointed round the corner, too scared to talk. Lacy nodded making her way to the phone. She dialed Andrews number. He picked up on the second ring.

"Hello?" He had said just like earlier that day.

"Hey." Lacy sighed out.

"Lacy how are you, is your grandfather okay?" He rushed out.

"No." Was all she could tell him. "I'm going to spend whatever time he has left here. I was hoping you could bring me some clothes." She sniffled into the phone.

"Yeah of course. I can be there in a hour." He talked fast through the line.

"Oh, can you call Benny, his number is in the phone book in the kitchen. Just tell him Jeff is sick. They got along really well." Lacy choked on her words. She couldn't believe this was happening. "Thank you Andrew." She cried out.

"I'll see you soon." With that he hung up the phone. He didn't want to hear her cry anymore. She made her way back to the room. Lacy saw the nurse talking to her mother as she left the room, and her mother entered.

"Excuse me." The nurse turned to look at her. They were the only two in the hall. "How long does he have?" The nurse looked terribly sad.

"A few days at the most." Lacy nodded her head. She sucked on her lips trying to be strong. "I'm so sorry. He seems like a great man." Lacy took a shaky breath.

"He's the best." The nurse nodded, giving her a sad smile before walking away. She tried to compose herself before entering the room.

"Can you tell your grandfather here, to get some rest. He's bound and bent that he is going to play more chess" Amanda looked to her puffy eyed daughter.

"I can sleep when I'm dead." He huffed out.

"Father!" Amanda scolded. His comment made Lacy laugh. The attention when to her, they watched her crumble. She sobbed loudly.

"Oh honey come here." Jeff opened his arms. Lacy climbed into his bed like a child, hugging him. "Not funny?" He asked about his joke. She shook her head. "Now what has been the problem, I know you have been holding back a lot of emotions lately." She moved to the end of the bed, where she had sat before.

"Benny and I broke up." Her lip quivered. "We had been drinking and he and Beth kissed." She looked at the ground.

"I knew something was wrong." Her mother said from the couch.

"Now listen to me. You are a strong girl, but you always were stubborn. Did you listen to what that boy had to say?" Her grandfather asked. She shook her head. "Hear him out, he messed up. I'm not saying you have to forgive him right now, but you are way happier with him in your life. I can tell that boy would do anything for you. He looks at you the way I used to look at your grandmother. That's love. That boy needs you, and you need him." Her eyes were wide and full of tears. She did miss Benny, and all she wanted was for him to hold her in that moment.

"Even though you feel betrayed, lost, like you'll never trust again, that boy will be there for you, with whatever you need, thats what will bring your trust for him back. When he sees you need him and stays. That is what will fix your relationship. Love will conquer the pain you feel now." She nodded. "Your grandmother and I went though a similar issue, we didn't talk for weeks, but I saw how lost I was without her, and when I went to her she was the exact same. Look at us, we were married for fifty seven years after that." He smiled thinking about her wife, who he missed dearly.

"I'll be right back. I just need a moment." Everyone nodded as she made her way into the hall.

She had sat in her chair for five minutes at the least when a voice called out to her. "Lacy." She looked up. There he was. His old cowboy hat sitting on his head, covering a bit of his eyes. He was carrying her bag and flowers. She watched him for a moment. Both didn't know what to do. Suddenly Lacy's body stood, running down the hall. Benny placed her bag down. Lacy jumped in his arms. Sobs shaking her whole body as she did so. He held her, as if never wanting to let her go again. Whisper apologies into her hair as he kissed her head.

"He's dying Benny." She looked up at him. His heart broke looking in her eyes. Her cries filled the hallway.

"I know, Andrew called me and I knew I had to be here." She placed her head back on his chest crying. "Lacy I'm so sorry. I never meant to hurt you. I want you, no one else. I love you with everything I have. I need you." His eyes watered. "I wish I could take that whole night back, and just spend it with you." She didn't move, just kept her arms around him. "I miss and love you so much. I just want to be here for you, and if you want me to leave, I will. You just have to say the word." He ran his hand down her hair.

"Stay." Was all she said. Her was small and airy. They stayed in their hug until her cries calmed down. "Do you want to see him?" She looked at him. He nodded. Lacy grabbed his hand, pulling him towards the room. "Look who's here." She smiled and sniffled.

"Benny!" Her grandfather cheered with a raspy sick voice.

"How are you feeling Jeff." Benny shook the man in the beds hand.

"Ive seen better days." Jeff laughed. Lacy curled up on the couch with her mother. Both women sniffled sitting together. "How about a game of chess." Jeff pointed to the board on the table. Benny nodded grabbing the table and rolling it over to sit on the edge of the bed. Jeff winked at Lacy who couldn't help but smile. He was always right.

The room was filled with talking and laughter. The whole atmosphere had changed when Benny came in. He just had this charm to make everything seem normal. It was getting late and Jeff had finally fallen asleep. Lacy sat on the couch beside Benny. Amanda had gone to get them some food since no one had eaten anything other than hospital food.

"How are you doing?" Benny asked whispering. She sighed.

"I want this to be fake. Like its all a dream, but somethings telling me its not going to get better." She looked to Benny, then her grandfather sound asleep. "He says he's ready. He wants to see my grandmother again." Benny grabbed her hand, half expecting her to push it away, but she didn't. "Thanks for being here." She looked into his deep brown eyes.

"I'd do anything you you." She watched his eyes. She could tell he meant what he said. She nodded, leaning her head against his shoulder.

"I don't think I could do this without you." She whispered to him.

"You don't have to." Benny kissed her head. "Try to get some rest. You must be exhausted." She nodded closing her eyes. She listened to Benny's heartbeat. She hadn't said she forgave him, but she knew she didn't have too. Him being there was enough to make her strong again. They both drifted to sleep on the couch together.

------

"They need each other." Lacy woke up to two voices talking.

"Shhh. We don't want to wake them." Too late. Lacy lifted her head off of Benny's chest. "Oh good morning." Her mother cheered out. "Coffee?" Lacy nodded, her mother placed the cup in her hand. That's when Benny woke up.

"Morning." He called out to everyone in the room.

"What time is it?" Lacy asked sipping her coffee. Amanda had gotten Benny a coffee too, which he thanked her for.

"Almost 8." Jeff answered his granddaughter. Lacy nodded.

"I'm going to change." She grabbed her bag leaving the room. She got to the bathroom, looking at her reflection in the mirror. She was horrified at what she saw. Her hair was a mess, along with her makeup. Her eyes were red and puffy. She ran the tap water cold, splashing her face a couple of times with it. She changed into pants and a cashmere sweater, pulling her hair into a bun. She made her way back into the room. Jeff was asleep again, Amanda and Benny talked in hushed tones.

"Fell better?" He mother asked. Lacy nodded, sitting back down beside Benny, slipping her hand into his. Benny's heart felt like it skipped as she did it. The room fell into a comfortable silence as a little radio in the back of the room played.

--------

That day had passed quickly. Lacy and Benny had taken turns playing chess with Jeff. He looked so happy to Lacy, it was hard to believe he was really sick. He never got mad at the situation, just embraced it. He told stories about his wife, how he missed her. Lacy could see the pain in his eyes as he remembered her. He compared then to Lacy and Benny a lot, always making the two blush when he would tell them that.

He wasn't scared of death, to him the life he lived was perfect. He just wanted to meet his beautiful wife again. How he missed her. He was ready to say goodbye to everyone. He knew he would see them all again. Everyone seemed to be laughing in conversation. He leaned forward catching Lacy's attention. He waved her over. She climbed onto the edge of the bed. The room had went silent, except for the music playing softly in the background.

Jeff took Lacy's small hands in his. "I have to tell you something." Lacy nodded her head confused. His tone was steady, not really serious. "When your mother told your grandmother and I she was pregnant, I dreaded it. I was losing my little girl. But when I walked into that hospital room..." He stopped coughing a little. He took a deep breath composing himself. "And saw your little face, I knew I would do anything for you. My granddaughter. Your grandmother and I loved you so much from the second we saw you. I was so angry when your father took the both of you away, moving you around, not giving you the proper childhood you deserved. But when your grandmother died, I thought I had lost the best thing in my life. She was my rock, my everything. But you, you were just like her. Stubborn, smart, you had this light about you that could brighten up the darkest days. I saw her love in you." Lacy let her eyes drop tears. She knew where this was going.

"I knew I wanted to share my knowledge with you. Teach you anything you would listen to. I am so glad I got to see you grow into this bright and beautiful women." He stopped looking at Benny. "Come here son." Benny came to Lacy's side, placing a hand on her back. "I see myself in you. The way you look at Lacy is the way I looks at my dear Maybelle. Cherish that. Because when it's gone, you'll find yourself empty. Thank you for your games of chess." Jeff let go of one of Lacy's hands. He stuck it out to Benny, who held back tears. Benny took Jeff's hand.

"No, thank you." Benny's voice cracked.

"Give me a minute with your mother." Lacy and Benny left the room as Jeff had asked. Lacy clutched to Benny. She shook in sobs. Benny's eyes let a few tears go, his heart broke for this family. After a few minutes Amanda let them both back in.

"A final game?" He asked to Lacy. She nodded, Amanda pushed the table to them. "Don't let me win." He laughed and coughed at the same time.

Lacy laughed shaking her head. "Wouldn't dream of it." They all sat on the bed watching the game. Lacy was about to win when Jeffs hands took hers. He reached with the other hand to Amanda's.

"Thank you, my loves." He smiled at them, a single tear rand down his cheek. "I can see her. My Maybelle." He started into an empty space in the room. His eyes started to go dim, his grip on both women's hands became light, but neither could let go. His body relaxed against the bed.

"No. Please." Lacy sobbed. Finally letting go. She turned to Benny, wrapping her arms around his neck. He held her tight, afraid she would fall if he let go. Amanda looked at her father, lost. She got up kissing his forehead.

"I love you dad." She exited the room to get a nurse. Lacy looked over the man who had been her role model for as long as she could remember.

"I'm going to miss you." She grabbed his hand. "Thank you for everything you have done for me." Benny stood up. He was ready to take her to the hall. Two nurses came into the room, giving them her condolences as they left. "Will you stay with me tonight?" She looked to him with tears rushing down her face.

"You don't even have to ask." He hugged her. She let loud sobs out. He hated seeing her like this.

Amanda had left the hospital after Benny and Lacy. Amanda refused to let them come back to the house. She told them she would be fine. She wanted to take it all in by herself. She could also tell Lacy needed her own time. That night Lacy let Benny hold her. She felt broken. She wished to see her grandfather once more, to hear his laugh again. They both fell asleep together listening to Jeff's favourite songs.

It was safe to say Benny and Lacy were back together after that day.

--------

3786 words

When I tell you I sobbed writing this, I'm being honest.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.1K 223 8
๐–๐‡๐ˆ๐“๐„ ๐๐”๐„๐„๐ | Sophia Harmon has always felt like an outcast, ever since she was little she felt like she was the odd one out - her blonde h...
74.1K 2.8K 15
the gods favoured fools because they were more entertaining to watch. โช benny watts x fem!oc โซ ...
338K 9.8K 49
For Rachel Beckett the Olympics was a huge defining moment in her life, something she had been working tirelessly towards since she was five years ol...
60.6K 1.1K 21
Amelia Harmon wasn't as extraordinary as her sister Elizabeth Harmon. Amelia Harmon was always second to her sister Beth even when getting adopted. ...