Rediscovering Reality

By Nickie_Cole

Hermione always knew what reality was. She always knew what real life was. Real life was hard work and dedic... More

Prologue
First, Second, Third: Begging or Breaking
Fourth, Fifth, Sixth Year: Seeing Death
"Seventh Year": Winners and Losers
Family?
The Gate
Wait,Stop!
You Wanker
The Calm
Where Were You?
There Is So Much We Need To Tell You
Hermione-Mariella Zabini
"New" In Town
Ice Cream and Red Hair
lots of red heads
Dinner, Interrogations, and Best Behaviors
The Decision
Its Not Not A Date
Dress Robes
So... Charlie?
Let the Fun Begin.
so many people.
you really couldn't have made it one night?
'He's a Prick' and Speeches
almost done and the night is young
Drinking and Dancing
We'd Be Crazy
Wake Me Up Before You Go
Planning and Moving
Suits You Better
when
Quiet
Last Night of Freedom
You didn't do anything
It Will Always Feel That Way A Little Bit.
The Letter
Fairytales We Are Not.
arent you?
Authors Note IMPORTANT
On the Nature of Closure and Progress

I didn't do anything

831 21 2
By Nickie_Cole

-- Theo-- 

Sunlight poured through the windows, i squinted as i repressed my bodys waking actions. 

Pulling Mari closer to me i watched how she nuzzled into me as she slept...melting my heart as she did so. 

It wasn't the first time we had slept next to each other, and with luck it wouldn't be the last time either, but i don't know that i would ever get used to how lucky i was to wake up next to her. 

I moved my arm off of her for just a moment and flicked my wrist, her flowers appeared in a vase on her side of the bed. I wanted her to see them first thing when she woke up. 

Suddenly her eye fluttered open a little, not quite all the way awake but awake enough for me to stare at her perfect smile. as she giggled. 

"Good morning," She leaned up and kissed my cheek. Effectively making my heart leap out of my chest. 

"Good morning darling." I pulled her in tightly for one last hug, "How about i go start on breakfast? You grab a few more minutes of rest okay?" 

I could tell she would protest before i even finished my statement. 

"Theo, no, let me help." Sadly this was one argument she wouldn't be winning.

"Nope. But i promise i will be quick. You can help by getting extra rest. And giving me just a few more moments with you while we eat before you have to go?" Once smile from her and i knew she had conceded. 

"You only won this because i'm too tired to argue." With that her eye lids fluttered as she rested her head down on the pillow, i pressed a kiss to her forehead and headed down stairs. 

I couldn't believe my luck. And she was far beyond what i was worth... but no matter how hard i pinched myself I was still awake and last night had still happened. 

A harsh knock on the front door shook me from my thought, hand on wand i moved to the front door from the kitchen. 

--Mari--

After a few moments i opened my eyes with a yawned rolling over. Theo's flowers were on the nightstand. Wild roses, lillies, baby's breath. It was beautiful. 

I tossed my legs over the bed wondering how long i had been asleep relative to how long Theo had been gone.

I heard a door thud open and some loud voices. Carefully i grabbed my wand a crept down the stair case.

--Theo--

"You look like shite did you just wake up? Merlin Theo!"

"Blaise?" He shoved past me slamming the door open, which i carefully closed behind him. 

"We've got a problem....its about Mari!" He was swinging his arms anxiously. 

I should've known the reporters would have already started their desperate hunt for information. I'm sure they had done or said something that had sent him into this frenzy. 

Come crashing into the manor maybe? Harassed him and his mother for answers on the street maybe? None of them would dare to go to his fathers place of work- but maybe they were gutsy enough to go for Blaise and his mother. 

"Where did she go after she left your place last night? Did she even make it here?"  Hold on.... after? He knew she was coming here - but he didn't know...... oh no. I tried to stop him.

He was rambling so fast i couldn't get a word in edge wise. 

"She said she would see me later i figured she would be home later! But she didn't come home at all last night. And then this morning she still wasn't here. I mean its nearly noon-" 

My eyes shot to the clock, was it really? 

Oh yea - 11:46... huh sure enough. I guess we had been out long last night. 

"Blaise I think-" 

"Did she say anything about going anywhere else?!" He was still raving, pacing back in forth in the foyer. 

"Mate-" 

"Someone's got her I know for sure!" He was still raving around. 

"Blaise!" I grabbed his shoulder, stopping him in his tracks. "No one has her, she's fine." 

"We need to go out looking, put a bloody shirt one why dont you- let's go!" His voice was riddled with desperation and panic.

"She's fine no one has her!" I spoke calmly, and tried to hide the laugh that wanted to creep into my voice. He was too frantic to notice. 

"How can you be SURE?! HUH?! Exactly." He spoke rapidly raising his eyebrows skeptically. 

"I just-" Blaise stared at me with desperation as i tried to calm him down, "I know she's alright." His eyes switched like he was staring through me, "She'll...." No not through me- behind me. 

I looked over my shoulder to see Mari standing a few steps up, my t shirt draping off one of her shoulder, hands dropped to her side. Her face flushed. Staring directly at her brother. 

Oh....oh this might not end as well as i had hoped. 

--Mari--

Blaise looked as if he had just seen a ghost as I stood there looking at him from the stairs. 

"Merlin. You scared me Mari. And i said one thing- dont make me an uncle. That was the one bloody thing i said."  He pushed away from Theo and took a few steps to look at the pair of us. 

"Blaise-nothing happened." I scoffed at his dramatics, "Just stayed up late- so i spent the night."

"Sure. I believe you. I mean i would if i was an idiot but since im not- go put on some bloody pants so i can talk to Theo for a moment." He stiffled a small laugh himself. 

Rolling my eyes slightly i ventured back upstairs. In the bathroom i pulled on my jeans but left Theo's shirt on. It was comforting and smelled of his cologne. 

--Theo--

"I've only got a few moments so you better answer my questions as quickly as possible." Blaise said yanking me by my arm toward the kitchen. 

"Wouldn't have it any other way." I laughed as he rolled his eyes. 

"First off all proud of you for getting up the courage to ask her." 

"Thank you." I quiped. 

"Of course, second thing," He took a deep breath, "You didn't shag my sister the first night you took her out did you?"

"No!" My face contorted into one of shock, i couldn't hide it. 

"Didn't think so but i had to be absolutely sure." He threw his hands up in defense, "I'm not worried I'm sure you were respectful. Did you guys have fun?" 

"I think..... I mean i did and i think she-" I sputtered, i didn't want to speak for her on the matter, "You'll have to ask her mate, i can't speak for her. No one can." 

"I had loads of fun. I didn't shag Theo. And I said i would 'see you later' i didn't say when 'later' would be -bloody idiot." Mari answered from the door way. 

"Good- now that its settled. Bloody hell Theo when did you get ripped?" Blaise said smacking me in the abdomen, "Like a carved marble statue Merlin above - look at that." He went to smack me again but i just rolled my eyes again and caught his hand. 

"You wanna stay for breakfast?" I laughed and stood up.

"Yeah sure why not- i mean..... i'm going to need to eat some time and besides. I'm starving I've been dodging press all day." 

xXxXx

--Mari--

"So you had fun?" Blaise said as we sat sipping tea. Theo had insisted i neither of us were allowed to help, and that it was my turn to be interrogated. 

"Yeah. We went to Paris, and Amsterdam and..." I paused thinking that maybe i wanted to keep part of that night to myself, "It was lovely. He was a gentleman the entire night i swear..... its easy to be around him." I held my cup close to my face, feeling the heat on my face.

"I know... it hasn't been easy for anyone. And i know that its hard for you to be around lots of people because of ...." He didn't have to continue, i knew what he meant, because so many people from each side has shunned me, "But now I just I want you to be happy. And if you two can be happy together - go for it. Merlin knows it took both of you long enough." 

Brotherly love was a good shade on Blaise. 

"Alright enough of this sappy garbage. I'm starving- THEO HURRY UP WILLYA?" And there it was, back to normal in the blink of an eyes. 

XxXxX

"Could I have a moment with Mari before the two of you leave?" Theo said once we had finished eating, i had gotten on my shoes and figured i would need to 'face the music' at some point.

"Yeah sure- Mari just meet me at home? If i don't see you in 30 I'm gonna assume Theo killed you." He joked before vanishing with a crack. 

"He is -" Theo rolled his eyes.

"He's been like this always right?" I said in a hopeful tone. 

"Yeah he has- forever. At least he's consistent though." He laughed and i felt butterflies awaken in my stomach again. 

"I had alot of fun and i would love to be able to see you again. As in i would love absolutely nothing more than to see you again as soon as you are available." He smiled that million dollar smile of his and i melted. 

"Breakfast- tomorrow?" I said hopefully, "If there is some place in the entire world that wont be covered with reporters trying to get the scoop on me?" 

"I have a few places that will work- I'll pick you up at eight if that works?" In all honesty even if they didn't work i would figure out. I wanted to see him as soon as possible as well. 

"Lovely- just make sure to apperate-"

"Inside the gate, up by the house, so no reporters find another reason to follow either of us." He chimed in with a chuckle. 

"Alright. I'm going to go home before I decide how to deal with the press." 

--Theo-- 

She turned to go toward the door and i realized something. 

"Wait!" She turned quickly confused, with a swoosh of my wand i conjured the flowers from her nightstand, "Don't forget these." 

A blush crept over her face, tinting her cheeks red, "Thank you. I'll see you tomorrow morning." She turned to leave once again, reaching for the door. 

"Wait!" She turned to face me again as i closed the space between us. I leaned down swiftly and kissed my lips against her. Taking in every second. The smell of her perfume. The way her soft lips felt against mine. The fireworks in my heart as she kissed me back.

Slowly i pulled away, "Don't forget that." I smirked. 

Her face was flushed with pink now, she only nodded for a few seconds s she gained her bearings again. 

"See you tomorrow morning." She sighed breathlessly. 

"See you tomorrow morning beautiful." 

She stepped out the door and was gone with a crack. 

xXxXx

--Mari--

IN THIS SHOCKING REVELATION we can't help but wonder- what other secrets are hidden behind the rod iron gates of the Zabini Estate?

Reporters scrambled to find any information they could related to anyone involved in this up and coming story. Knowing that people would be thirsting for any sliver of gossip they could have.  Each person was clearing up their story, lines had already began to form- who believed the story that had been presented at that press conference, who wasn't sure, who was sure that it was a scheme. 

Because in a world recently ravaged by war the one thing we needed was more division. 

I picked up Witch Weekly and was surprised to see that they had taken a different approach. Going after people in my past. 

Viktor Krum Comes Clean About Past Love Affair With Hermione Granger, the Lost Zabini. 

Oh great I had a tagline now, sighing i flipped to the page curious what Viktor could possibly have to say about this situation that so clearly had nothing to do with him. I skimmed the page half heartedly. 

"We reconnected at the ball a few weeks ago and i was dazzled by her!" 

Yeah right. 

"She gushed to me about how stressed she was, i felt for her on that level."

I certainly did not. 

"At the time i had no idea she was the girl i had already fallen for so many years ago, i fear i may have made a bit of a fool of myself."

That was an accurate assumption. 

"Can't wait to talk to her again and offer a shoulder to cry on, she has always been a lovely witch." 

Okay Viktor whatever you say. 

I tossed the magazine aside, it was rubbish as i had suspected. 

"Mari there is someone here for you." My mother called gently through the empty house. 

I slung myself to my feet unsurprised. There had been around six people at the house already this afternoon. All of them reporters my mother has carefully selected as the least likely to attack my character. 

I stopped at the top of the stairs surprised to see a somewhat familiar face in the foyer, standing brashly, flowers in hand. 

"Viktor?" I said as i decended the stairs. 

"Hermione! Or Mariella? Which one do you prefer?" The man said handing me the flowers with a small bow. 

"Mari is fine. What are you doing here." Thinking back to the article i hoped he wasn't here with some feeble attempt to woo me. 

"I was wondering if we could have a moment alone? A walk through the gardens perhaps?" I only nodded in response, so with a small bow to my mother he offered me his arm and headed toward the garden. 

I looked at him out of the corner of my eye, he seemed to be checking over his shoulder every few feet like someone would pop out and take a picture of us unexpectedly, which was implausible with the  charms set up around the property line, "So what brings you here? What did you need to discuss." 

He stayed quiet, the sounds of nature creating a space between us. 

"Viktor is everything alright?" He stopped suddenly in his tracks and turned to face me, dropping my arm in the process. 

"Is it true?" He accent seemed thicker all of a sudden, it brought a kind of comfort to the conversation. 

"Yes." He needed no explanation of his question, I knew immediately what he was talking about. And yes. It was true. So why should i hide? Well i guess i had given up hiding yesterday afternoon. 

"Then- i'm sorry for the way i acted at the ball." The statement caught me off guard. 

He was sorry? Would he have been less sorry if i had been Mariella Zabini- Lost Daughter and Zabini Heiress? What kind of twisted apology was this. 

"You're sorry because you're afraid I'll go to the press and out you as a man who is unable to tell when a girl doesn't want to talk to him."  I responded flatly. 

"No. I'm sorry because i would have acted with a little more decorum if i had known i didn't need to push you away." 

"What do you mean?" I shot him a quizzical look, analyzing how his accent thickened as he relaxed.

"Vermione....Mari," he corrected quickly, "I go to so many balls. So many parties where mothers and fathers tell me how i should meet their daughters and go on a date, their sons and go golfing. And- in all honesty i don't want to. I'm tired. I have other life plans. And i don't want to make my friends and girlfriends solely based off of the fact that their parents want to have a Quidditch player in the family circle. So-" He paused and ran his hands over his face, "So i learn very quickly what i can from the part and use it to push people away. I'm back home analyzing my playbook before they cut the cake usually." 

It made sense even if i didn't want it too.

"You hate when people tell you what to do, love your friends. And definetly weren't looking to go on a date with some guy you barely knew. I used that to get you to leave the conversation. All I'm saying is that if I had known it was you. I would have.... not done that." He smiled shyly at the ground. 

This made much more sense now. That man at the party was not the the same one who had asked her to the Yule ball. But this.... this might be a similar one.

"Well.... thank you for the apology."

Viktor gave a curt not and shuffled his hands. "I hope everything.... ends up alright." 

Now that the curtain had been pulled back, Viktor was back to his regular self. Slightly awkward, quiet. Terrible at small talk. 

"Thank you." Was all i could muster. 

"I should warn you..... i curbed any ideas of us having a...romantic relationship. But.... they might be after you for info now." He straightened his robe looked at me sadly. 

"What do you mean?" Viktor was straightforward it is what had drawn me to him as opposed to Ron at the time. One was all mixed signals and the other was clearly written directions. The way he was beating around the bush now made me concerned. 

"You...you'll see tomorrow." And with a curt not he walked back into the house and, i assumed, out the door. 

I stood in the garden for a few moments enjoying the fresh air before the cold became too much, and returned inside to voices in the study just off the foyer. 

"I'm tired of this okay?"  Blaise? "You're not going to hold me hostage for something you don't even know is true." 

"But deary, it doesn't matter if i know its true or not. What matters is what the public thinks. It's the only thing that has ever matter silly." The voice was so sticky sweet that i wanted to gag. 

"You really think you can get away with selling such an obvious lie?" Blaise scoffed, and if I hadn't spent so much of that summer and fall with him I might've believed him. 

"I don't think anything of the sort. All I know is that you have money, i need money, and i have photos that looks alot like you have been visiting Death Eater hangouts for a few weeks ." 

Silence hung in the air. 

"I would hate to see the public socially hang your sister for something you did." The voice feigned concern. 

"I didn't do anything." Blaise shot back. 

"What would your sister think?" Silence again, "That's what i thought. I'll see you soon Blaise." 

There was a sound like a fire being put out and then Blaise came storming out of the study- directly into where i was standing. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

626 37 8
5 years after the Battle of Hogwarts was won by Harry Potter, Draco Malfoy is taking a stroll in the park, as part of his usual Sunday morning routin...
588K 12.6K 58
It had been too long, why reveal the truth after years? Hermione Granger was believed to be Muggleborn most of her life, till she found out some une...
164K 2.9K 21
What if Hermione Granger wasn't actually a Granger? What if Ginny Weasley wasn't actually a Weasley? Who would be their new family? Hermione and Ginn...