Life in the Flames

By MorganKnox

Alonia is the final water wielder of her tribe. After her people are attacked she is taken to the fire kingdo... More

Life in the Flames
Life in the Flames-1
Life in the Flames-2
Life in the Flames-3
Life in the Flames-4
Life in the Flames-5
Life in the Flames-6
Life in the Flames-7
Life in the Flames-8
Life in the Flames-9
Life in the Flames-11
Life in the Flames-Alonia
Life in the Flames-12
Life in the Flames-13
Life in the Flames-14
Life in the Flames-15
Life in the Flames-16
Life in the Flames-17
Life in the Flames-18
Life in the Flames-19
Life in the Flames-20
Life in the Flames-21
Life in the Flames-22
Life in the Flames-23

Life in the Flames-10

13.7K 187 31
By MorganKnox

Chapter 10

Like a Budding Flower

What have I done? I just said yes to Reid, but what about Burke? 

He stood close to me and smiled happily at my response. His red eyes glinted in the silver moonlight. Reid looked up at the moon and said, "Ah, it is getting late, and tomorrow is going to be a long day. Would you like me to help you back to your room?" he asked offering me his strong arm. 

I looked at his face, and then his arm, and back up to his face once more as I pondered his question in my head. Sure, I had no idea where my room was, but what would people think if they saw us together? That doesn't matter, the small voice in my head said, people will see the two of you together tomorrow. 

So I gingerly wrapped my arm through his, and instantly could feel his warmth through my sleeve.

My insides screamed at me to let go. It felt so wrong but at the same time it felt so right to be in his grasp. 

I tried my hardest not to react, but the smallest of smiles escaped my control.

Reid chuckled and kept on smiling when he glanced down at me, "Still aren't used to it are you?" 

"Used to what?" I asked as we started entering the flowered part of the garden, and the wonderful, fresh smells hitting me like a wall. 

"To everything: the palace, the people, the customs, the clothes, food, and myself. I can tell how my fire skills affect you," he said with a tone of sadness poking through is voice. 

"Yes, this is all very new to me. It is a very large change from my life with the tribe," I said. Then the devastating scene played over inside my head and I couldn't keep the tears back. 

When the first tear slid down my cheek Reid stopped, and wiped it softly from my cheek with his warm hand. He placed one of his hands on my shoulder and with the other he lifted my head so I looked straight into his eyes. 

"Alonia, I could never say I know how you feel because I don't. I also believe I could never say anything to make you feel better, but I am sorry. I am sorry for everything that has happened to you, everything," he said with sincerity behind each word.

My gaze was stuck in his mesmerizing eyes as I searched for the right words, "So much has happened the past few days. I just hope it gets better." 

"Alonia I promise it will. With all the power I have, I will make sure it will," he said as he wiped yet another tear from my face. "I hope no more of your tears will fall, but if they do I am here to wipe them away for you." 

My entire body was at war with itself. My instincts were telling me to run, my head was telling me to stay emotionless, but my heart said to stay, to let him see who I really was. 

I also found that the heat pulsating from Reid's body wasn't overpowering but comforting. So badly did I want to just let everything out, but I couldn't. 

"Thank you Reid," was all that I could say. 

"It's the least I can do," he said with the dazzling smile of his. 

"Reid, can I ask you something?" 

"Anything." 

I finally broke myself from his gaze and knelt down to stroke a velvet soft flower petal. "Have you ever really thought of how destructive fire really is? One little flame can cause an entire forest or town to burn to the ground."

He sighed and knelt down beside me as I continued, "Water on the other hand can give life while fire takes it away." 

"Alonia, have you ever seen a forest after a forest fire? New life springs forth from the ashes. Fire isn't just used for destruction but for renewal; to wipe away the bad and make room for the new." 

"I never thought of that," I said as I stood up, "water and fire, two opposites working together for a similar purpose." 

"See they are more powerful working together than against one another. How foolish our ancestors were for hating one another." 

I nodded in agreement since I was so stunned by my realization. Reid came over and offered me his arm, which I took as we started towards the palace once again. 

........

 The sound of rain hitting our tent rang throughout the air . I was seven at the time and was frightened of thunderstorms and every time thunder pierced the air I'd yelp out in fear.  

My mother and father had tried everything to help me with my fear but nothing had worked. That night they came up with the idea of telling me stories to distract me from the storm. 

"Father please tell me another!" I begged, curled up in his lap. 

 "My imagination has run dry!" he exclaimed.

"What about the story about grandfather?" 

"Alonia, sweetheart, you've heard that story a dozen times already," my mother said coming to join us around the lantern. 

"I know but I want to hear it again!" 

My father laughed and began the tale like he always had, "Your grandfather, my father, the great Chief Sampson Seaream was the most powerful water wielder of the clan. He led with the love of his people behind him-" 

"Like you papa!" I said smiling up at him. 

"Yes squirt, anyways when I was about your age a large battle between the earth, fire, and air kingdoms broke out. All three kingdoms sent people trying to win the support of our people for the war. Your grandfather would not stand for fighting or to see his people perish for someone else's gain so he wrote the Quarium Treaty. He traveled to the capital of the fire kingdom in Floric with a few of the strongest men to meet the leaders of the other elements." 

"But the rulers could not agree on the treaty how it was so Sampson proposed compromises for all of the sides. He suggested outposts for each element to stand in each country so people could learn to live around one another. He also told the leader of the earth wielders where uninhabited islands were for their taking so the land disputes would cease," my mother added. 

"The air wielders were first to agree, earth second, and finally the king of the fire country signed the treaty. The wars ended and outposts were built in each country. The treaty still stands to this very day and your grandfather was the one who proposed the idea of peace."

"Father what happened to grandfather?" I asked. 

He looked to my mother and she nodded, "Alonia your grandfather was killed by a band of fire wielders right after the treaty was signed. Only one of his men made it back to the tribe." 

I looked up at the sadness in my father's face so I said, "Father but look what he did! He has saved so many lives!" 

He kissed me on the forehead and said as he lifted me up, "You are right squirt," he carried me over to my cot, "just remember him as a hero. Goodnight squirt, love you," he said with another kiss and then one from my mother. 

They turned off the lantern and I listened to the slowed patter of the raindrops as I tried falling asleep.

Why would someone kill someone who stopped a war? Why would a fire wielder do that? I thought as I drifted off to sleep. 

..........

 I had spaced out and by the time I came back from the memory we had arrived at my bedroom. Reid released my arm and then put his finger to his lips for me to stay quiet. Next he leaned forward, my body tensed up from his closeness, and he whispered in my ear, "Goodnight Alonia. Sleep well and I shall see you in the morning." 

He leaned back smiling at me response and then turned to walk down the dark corridor. 

I opened my door, walked into the darkness, and sat down on the bed holding the pendent around my neck. It wasn't cool like a silver pendent should be, but warm like Reid's hand. It felt like there was something engraved on the back of the pendant so I lit the candle beside me and looked on the back to find a small sun carved into the back. His sign, lay right next to my heart. 

Again the door that conjoined the two rooms was thrown open by a smiling Breezy. "So was it who I thought it would be?" 

"It was Reid," I said still holding the pendant in my hand. 

"I was right! Did he ask you to the celebration?" 

"Yes and he gave me these," I said showing her the necklace and earrings.

"They are so beautiful, and they will match you gown! Wait did you say yes to him?" 

I smiled and I could feel myself blushing as I answered, "Yes, I said yes." 

A cool wind blew through the room as Breezy tackled me back onto my bed in a hug. We both laughed, rolled on our backs, and stared up at the ceiling until Breezy said, "He likes you so much. Its obvious, the entire palace is talking about you two." 

"He what?" 

"He likes you. Did you not know that?" 

"No."

 .....End of Chapter 10.....

I'd just like to say thank you guys so much for reading and all of the support! It has passed the 15,000 reads mark and I'm am completely thrilled it has done so well! Anyways your comments and votes are greatly appreciated! Hope you liked it! Chapter 11 coming soon!!! ~Morgan =)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

45K 1.9K 61
What if there was someone else who could bend all four elements? Someone who was meant to help the Avatar? Meet Naya- born to a mother from the Sout...
204 0 40
UPDATE! I've updated the story to include more depth and descriptions! Hope you enjoy! Jessamine has the dream of reuniting her family, whom she has...
123 5 16
Water, Fire, Light and Nature. The four elements are the most valuable things on the green Earth. What if people were to weaponize it? Two young gir...
2.1K 47 33
*Chapters 1-8 has been revised and in some areas rewritten* In a world apart from ours, a hidden land that harbors very unique human beings. These sp...