Love Bites (Rewrite)

By mcandr1

If there is one thing that always bites it's falling in love. Rebecca Cross is an ordinary high school girl w... More

Chapter 1: The First Drop
Chapter 2: Throbbing Recognition
Chapter 3: So, Vampires Are a Thing
Chapter 4: A Day in the Life of a Vampire
Chapter 5: That Escalated Quickly
Chapter 6: An Agreement
Chapter 7: Natural Curiosity
Chapter 8: Beyond the Shadow of Doubt
Chapter 9: Obey or Else
Chapter 10: Scars
Chapter 11: Blood Bonds
Chapter 12: Strictly Professional
Chapter 13: A Friend Date
Chapter 14: To Be Human
Chapter 15: Sensory Overload
Chapter 16: Awkward
Chapter 17: Blood Merry
Chapter 19: Friendzone
Chapter 20: Baggage
Chapter 21: Hears a Thought
Chapter 22: Honey I'm Home
Chapter 23: Negotiations
Chapter 24: Till Death Do Us Part
Chapter 25: Rest in Peace
Chapter 26: Love Bites

Chapter 18: Human Day

356 19 0
By mcandr1

Bex was the first to wake up. With a groan she sat up, her body sore and aching all over. She glanced around the room which was brightly lit by the sun. Her head whipped to the window which was when she noticed the sun already high in the sky.

"No, no, no, Lyssa! What the hell!?" Bex turned to her accusingly.

Lyssa was still out of it. Her head rested peacefully on a pillow.

"Lyssa?" Bex shook the vampire but the girl did not wake.

"Lyssa this isn't funny," Bex shook harder.

Still nothing.

Bex sat there for a moment, trying to feel Lyssa's emotions. Something that would tell her Lyssa was okay. But all she felt was comforting peace. So, she did the only thing she could think of. She called Joan.

Joan answered after the first ring.

"Bex! What the hell? Your parents are worried sick about you. I've been calling you all morning. Are you okay? Did she hurt you?"

"Joan something's wrong with Lyssa!"

"What do you mean?"

"She won't wake up. I thought you said vampires don't sleep unless they are in their coffins."

"They don't."

"Then why do I have a sleeping vampire laying naked right next to me!?"

"I don't know. Maybe she's dead," Joan sounded annoyed.

"Lyssa!" Bex tried shaking her again.

"Where are you?" Joan asked.

"Ha! Yeah right. Like I'd tell you where she lives."

"Do you want my help or not?"

"Just tell me what to do! How do you wake a sleeping vampire?"

"You don't. It's best to kill them while they are asleep."

"Theoretically say you did want to, how would you do that?"

"Silver?"

"Well, no way she anything silver in here!"

"Okay, uh... garlic?"

"Ding, ding, ding wrong answer!"

"I don't know," Joan snapped. "Does she have a cross or something?"

"A cross..." Bex thought back to what Lyssa said about faith. About how even a toaster could do it if you believed it would.

"Bex?"

"I got an idea, I'll call you back," Bex hung up.

She looked around the room and grabbed a random book off the shelf.

"Uh, this book compels you!" Bex tried to sound menacing.

She felt ridiculous.

"This book compels you to wake up!" she tried again.

"Okay faith come on. You have to believe," Bex pat her cheeks as she gave herself a pep talk.

Then she set the book on Lyssa's forehead and tried once again,

"This book compels you!"

It didn't work.

"Ugh! Come on you stupid thing! Lyssa, please don't be dead," Bex whimpered.

She looked around the room for something else to help her, running a hand through her frizzed out hair. She was stuck. On the one hand, she could just wait to see if Lyssa eventually woke up on her own. On the other, she could call Joan, a vampire slayer who might take advantage of the situation.

Bex sighed and plopped down on the bed next to Lyssa.

Lyssa stirred in her sleep, turning over in bed.

Bex's head shot up.

"Lyssa! Lyssa wake up!" she shook her even more.

"Emm," Lyssa complained.

"Wake up now!" Bex continued to shake her.

"What!? What is it, Rebecca?" Lyssa's eyes shot open, she glared at Bex in grumpiness.

"Oh thank god, I thought you were dead," Bex tackled Lyssa in a hug.

"Dead?"

"Lyssa you fell asleep," Bex pulled back.

"I did? I did!" Lyssa sat up with a start.

"How is that even possible?" Bex asked.

"I... I'm not sure."

Lyssa pulled herself out of bed and stood in all her naked glory. That's when Bex noticed all of Lyssa's scars had shrunk in size considerably, some even vanished completely. She too got up and walked over to Lyssa.

"Lyssa your scars," Bex pointed out.

Lyssa strode over to the mirror and inspected herself.

She felt great, better than great. She felt alive. Her cheeks were flush with what looked to be pumping blood. Her eyes sparkled as they had many years ago. She felt amazing, she felt human.

A small bubble of laughter escaped Lyssa's lips.

"Lyssa?"

"Oh, Rebecca. I feel fantastic. I feel me again. I feel alive!" she grabbed Bex by her arms and whirled her around.

"But that's impossible."

"Who cares. I shall enjoy it while it lasts," Lyssa giggled in glee.

"Lyssa I'm scared."

"Don't be. This is all thanks to you, I am sure of it," she pulled Bex into her arms.

Bex listened carefully to Lyssa's chest, wanting to hear a heartbeat. And to her surprise, she did. she jolted back.

"Lyssa your heart!" Bex's eyes went wide.

Lyssa moved her hand over her chest and felt for a pulse, she shuddered in glee when she felt one.

"Whatever you did, thank you, Rebecca. Thank you so much. You have no idea what this means to me," Lyssa's eyes watered.

"But I didn't do anything."

"Regardless, you are here with me now, experiencing this miracle together. This is all I ever wanted. Thank you, I love you," She pulled Bex into her arms and kissed.

Love!

Bex's eyes went wider as she kissed Lyssa.

"L-love?" Bex quickly pushed Lyssa away.

"I do Rebecca, I love you," Lyssa kissed her again.

"Okay, I think you need to take me home," Bex pulled away.

"No, stay here with me. Please," Lyssa begged.

"Lyssa you need to figure out what is happening to you. And I need to get home before my parents call the police."

"No Rebecca, just stay with me. Please," Lyssa gave her a soft vulnerable look.

"Fine," Bex sighed.

Lyssa grabbed Bex in giddy excitement and quickly kissed her once more. Bex cringed into the kiss.

"I love you," Lyssa said once again as she pulled back to look Bex in the eyes.

Bex forced a smile. Not knowing what to say. It wasn't like they were to that part of the relationship yet, not even close. She barely knew Lyssa, and Lyssa barely knew her. What exactly did Lyssa love about her anyway? Did Lyssa know anything about her at all? Did Lyssa only love her because of her blood?

She didn't want to think about it too long.

"We are going to enjoy this day to the fullest. First thing is first, a shower. Come, Rebecca," Lyssa walked over to the bathroom.

Bex followed after her.

Lyssa turned the water really hot like she always did and stuck her hand under the stream.

"Ah!" she pulled it back when the water burned her.

"Lyssa are you okay?" Bex ran over to her in alarm.

Lyssa laughed and did it again. Bex made a face before turning the water to a normal heat. Lyssa eyed her hand which was now red in irritation. Then she looked back to Bex. Bex had her arms crossed over her chest, eyeing Lyssa with a mixture of concern and confusion. She was still naked, just like Lyssa, except Bex's body was covered in many bruises. Mostly on her hips, thighs, and arms.

"Rebecca, you're hurt?" Lyssa asked in confusion.

"Oh, no it's fine. Just a little sore. If someone wasn't so rough, I wouldn't look like this," Bex eyed her before stepping into the shower.

Lyssa quickly went in after her and gasped as the warm water enveloped her body. Her entire being was filled with warmth. She once again laughed out loud. Bex couldn't help but smile, seeing how cute and happy Lyssa was being.

They took a shower together before getting dressed. Then Bex took the time to text Joan while Lyssa did her makeup.

'She's awake now. Something weird is happening. I think she's human again. I'm really confused. She wants me to spend the day with her and do human things.' She sent it to Joan.

Then she texted her parents,

'I know I am so dead, but I am okay. Honest. I am with Lyssa. She's going through some stuff and really needs me right now. I'll try and be home tonight. Love you, and sorry I snuck out!'

Joan responded,

'That's impossible.'

Bex replied,

'I can hear her heart beating. Hot water burned her hand. I'm being dead serious here.'

Bex's mom responded,

'You get home this instant!'

Bex ignored the text.

'Where are you?' Joan asked.

Bex glanced up at Lyssa who was now marveling at her skin. When she pinched it, it would turn pink. She did this several times. Bex sighed. Did she really want to ruin Lyssa's fun by telling Joan where they were? She looked back at the text before ignoring it and setting her phone down.

"So, where to first?" Bex asked.

"I don't know," Lyssa thought about it.

"I think I have an idea, come on," Bex got up and grabbed Lyssa's hand.

They walked out of the room leaving Bex's phone on the bed.

They drove over to a local bookstore that had a fireplace and sold coffee and snacks. It was very cozy inside and had many places to sit and read. They walked in and Bex led Lyssa over to the fireplace.

"Wait here," she instructed.

Lyssa put her hand close to the flame, a comforting warmth spreading over her body.

Bex went and bought two cups of hot chocolate.

"Here," she offered one to Lyssa.

Lyssa eyed the warm brown liquid.

"If you really are human, then it should be fine right?" Bex said.

Lyssa nodded before sipping the liquid.

She took in a deep breath and closed her eyes. Enjoying the warm sweet chocolate in her mouth before swallowing it. She could feel its warmth go all the way down her throat. She pulled the cup away with a laugh.

"You like it?" Bex asked.

"Yes," Lyssa said, not even bothering with the fake accent.

"Good come on," Bex pulled her over to the fire where they sat and enjoyed the warmth.

Lyssa savored every last drop of the hot chocolate, drinking it slowly and letting the warmth fill her body. Bex watched her and let her finish before they went to the next place.

They pulled over into the woods. Despite how cold it was outside when the sun hit their skin, they could still feel its comforting warmth. So, Lyssa climbed a tree and got on to the highest branch. Bex watched her from the ground.

Lyssa took her shirt off and spread her arms out, letting the sun soak into her skin.

"Lyssa, come down; you're going to fall!" Bex warned as she saw the branches sway in the wind.

Lyssa ignored her and stood on the thin branch to get even more sun.

Bex chewed her lip in nervousness.

When Lyssa felt a chill on her skin, she had decided enough was enough and began to climb down. Bex cringed when the branch Lyssa was holding to snapped and the girl fell a good six feet.

"Lyssa are you okay?" Bex ran over to her.

Lyssa laid there marveling at the fact that she got the wind knocked out of her. Then she sat up and looked at her hand which was bleeding bright red blood. Lyssa touched the blood and it was warm. She laughed.

Bex frowned at her.

Lyssa laughed so hard she began to cry. Then she just embraced Bex.

"Oh, Rebecca this is wonderful."

"You're crazy, you could have seriously hurt yourself," Bex chastised her.

"I know!" Lyssa said in excitement.

"I don't think you are grasping the gravity of this."

"Come, there is more to be done!" Lyssa grabbed Bex's hand and pulled her away.

Lyssa ran out of the woods, forcing Bex to keep up. By the time both of them made it back to the car, they were out of breath. Lyssa reveled in the feeling, she loved it so much she ran laps around the car. Bex gave her an incredulous look.

Then they drove to an all you can eat buffet. Lyssa was a kid in a candy shop. She tried everything. She ate and ate and ate. Bex watched her in horror. Only able to eat about two plates while Lyssa was stacking on the plates as if it was nothing.

"You should slow down," Bex warned her.

"Nonsense Rebecca."

Bex sighed and shook her head at her.

Lyssa tried every soda, every flavor of ice cream, every type of chicken wing. Bex wondered where the thin girl was putting it all. She soon got her answer. Ten minutes later and they were in the restroom as Lyssa puked up her guts.

"I told you," Bex sighed guarding the door.

Even still Lyssa laughed at it before she puked some more.

After that, they went to the store where Lyssa grabbed bag after bag of chips. She grabbed all sorts of snack foods she had always wondered about. They even went to the gas station just so Lyssa could put her mouth under the slushie machine and pour the slush directly into her mouth.

"Gah, my head hurts," Lyssa cringed.

"It's called brain freeze," Bex giggled.

"Fascinating," Lyssa said before moving to the next flavor.

"Are you guys going to pay for that?" The store clerk asked.

"Shouldn't you be in school?" another pointed out.

"Lyssa, come on," Bex tugged on her.

"Almost done," Lyssa moved to the next flavor.

Bex laughed nervously as the gas station clerks eyed her and a couple of people waited impatiently for their chance to get a slushie.

Bex had to pull Lyssa away as soon as she filled her mouth with the last flavor. Then Lyssa went to the fridge and pulled out a six-pack of beer.

"What are you doing?" Bex hissed.

"I must know what it's like," Lyssa said.

"Lyssa!" Bex hissed as Lyssa went to pay.

Bex kept her head down and lingered near the door.

Lyssa put her Id on the counter and then offered to pay for two slushies and the six-pack. The cashier raised an eyebrow then looked at the id which said 21, but he highly doubted it.

"Is there a problem?" Lyssa asked.

"There is no way you're 21," he said.

"You can check if you want," Lyssa shrugged.

The manager walked over to look and after the two inspected the id for a good few minutes they decided to give her the beer. So, with snacks and drinks in tow, they went back to Lyssa's house.

"I can't believe you just did that," Bex shook her head.

"Technically I am more than old enough to have a drink," Lyssa pointed out.

Bex sighed.

So Lyssa set up all the snacks on her table, tasting each one all while drinking beer. Bex also snacked and listened to Lyssa give her reviews on the snacks, until she found her favorite. Bex had been shoving Carmel popcorn in her mouth when Lyssa let out a sharp gasp.

"What!? What is it?" Bex said with a mouth full, suddenly alert.

"This, this is possibly the best creation known to man," Lyssa said somewhat drunk.

Bex glanced at the green box of girl scout cookies and laughed.

"What?" Lyssa asked.

"Everyone already knows this. Thin mints are literally the best, I can eat a whole box by myself."

"The complete harmony of mint and chocolate, perfection."

Lyssa admired the cookie before shoving two in her mouth at once. Bex laughed some more. Soon the two found themselves in the bathroom again, as Lyssa had drunk way too much. Bex pat her back and held her hair.

"Hope you learned your lesson," Bex sighed.

Lyssa pried herself from the toilet before moving to wash out her mouth and brush her teeth. Bex cleaned up for her and put away all the snacks and threw away the remaining two cans of beer.

Bex found Lyssa laying in her bed, staring up at the ceiling.

"You okay?" Bex crawled into bed next to her.

"It's been so long since I've felt warm, or full, or tasted anything. Today is the best gift I could have ever received. Thank you, Rebecca, for experiencing it with me," Lyssa pulled Bex into her arms.

"I'm glad I could," Bex nuzzled into Lyssa's chest.

"Now I know what it feels like to be drunk," Lyssa slurred.

Bex giggled.

Lyssa held her tighter and sniffled.

"Lyssa?"

"Don't... don't ever leave me again," Lyssa whimpered.

"What do you mean?"

"Stay, Elizabeth, stay."

Bex turned to look Lyssa in the eyes, her brows scrunched together in confusion.

"How drunk are you exactly?" Bex asked.

Lyssa kissed her softly on the lips before nuzzling close to Bex, remaining silent until she fell asleep. Bex felt a deep dread. Still, she held Lyssa in her arms and thought about what Lyssa had said until she fell asleep.

Her sleep was restless and, in her dream, when she leaned in to kiss Lyssa, Lyssa called her Elizabeth. She had only been asleep a couple of hours before she woke up. She laid in bed and watched the sunset. Lyssa was still asleep so Bex just cuddled up next to her.

She recoiled back when she felt how cold the vampire was. She put her ear on Lyssa's back and listened, she didn't hear anything.

"Lyssa!" Bex shook her.

Lyssa opened her eyes.

"Oh, you scared me. I thought you were dead," Bex sighed in relief.

Lyssa sat up and looked down at her body. She once again felt cold. Felt nothing but the desire for blood and endless numbness. She sighed in disappointment.

"I am dead Rebecca," Lyssa whispered the admission.

Bex frowned at her and placed her hand on top of Lyssa's to comfort her.

"I suppose it was too good to last. It was nice though, to be a human again. Even if just for a day."

"What do you think caused it? Maybe we can do it again," Bex said to cheer her up.

"Perhaps... Yes, let us look into it."

They headed down to the basement where Lyssa kept all of her relevant vampire historical text. Many books were already pulled aside about blood bonds and human vampire interaction.

"You scan these, and I shall look into those," Lyssa indicated to a pile of books that she wanted Bex to look into.

So, they sat in silence and flipped through pages.

Bex's took in all she could about Blood bonds. One particular thing stuck out to her. According to the text,

A vampire's saliva secretes endorphins during blood-drinking which stimulates the part of your brain that causes pleasure. Often the pleasure is so intense that it can trigger orgasmic reactions. This is the most intimate and deepest form of pleasure that a vampire and a human can experience together.

"No wonder," Bex muttered to herself.

She switched books and tried to focus harder, looking into how vampires experience the blood bond. She found more interesting info. According to this book, Vampire saliva also secretes identifying markers into the human host. These markers cause the human to produce a smell that wards off other vampires and warns them that the human is already taken. The smell is intoxicating to the vampire who marks them.

Bex made a face and glanced over to Lyssa who was deep in reading. Then she casually brought her arms to her face and smelt herself. She didn't smell anything. She sighed and looked back at the book. The thought of being foul-smelling made her uncomfortable.

She read on.

A vampire who attempts to make a blood bond with a human who already has an existing bond should be wary. The conflicting markers in the human's blood often cause the human to get very ill and, in most cases, brings early death. Bex shuddered at the thought of it.

"Here!" Lyssa declared.

"You found something?" Bex set her book down.

"Look," Lyssa was by her side in a flash.

"Some vampires possess or develop a rare ability known as energy feeding. While drinking human blood the vampire may not be drinking to fill the need for hunger but rather would be drinking to experience old human desires. In rare cases, the vampire can do what is called energy feeding. The vampire isn't filling up on blood, but rather, drinking and filling up on the human's natural life energy. Once the vampire has had their fill in very rare cases the vampire's body will start to behave and function as if they were human again. The effects are only temporary and can be harmful as it leaves the vampire open to attack," Lyssa finished.

Bex yanked the book from her and read on.

"Energy Feeding is very strenuous on the human. If done in a quick session could even cause permanent and harmful damage such as paralysis, respiratory damage, and brittle bones! In some cases, death has occurred! Lyssa!" Bex looked at her.

"In my defense, I had no idea I was even doing it. Plus, you wanted it," Lyssa said.

"I didn't know it was killing me!"

"Well neither did I, now we know and can be more careful."

Bex slammed the book shut and ran her hand down her face.

"Can you just take me home?" Bex grumbled.

Lyssa frowned.

"Please Lyssa I'm exhausted, and I am probably going to be grounded until I'm 30."

"Very well, I shall take you home."

Bex cringed when she could feel Lyssa's heartache.

Lyssa scooped Bex up in her arms and ran her home as usual.

"I'll see you tomorrow?" Lyssa asked.

Bex gave a tight nod and tensed up when Lyssa leaned in and kissed her. Lyssa pulled back with a confused expression having felt Bex's apprehension. Without a word, Bex kissed her on the cheek and ran inside her house. Lyssa frowned but turned and left.

"There you are!" Bex's mom fumed.

"Look mom I'm sorry. I know what I did was wrong."

"We were worried sick we thought you ran away with that Lyssa girl," Her dad said.

"I didn't run away with anyone."

"You are forbidden from seeing her again do you hear me! She is a bad influence on you."

"Okay," Bex nodded.

"Okay?" Her dad said confused.

"I uh... think I'm going to break up with her," Bex avoided their gaze.

"Break up?" Abby butted in from the living room.

"Things are moving really fast between us, and I just-- I don't think I am ready for that stuff yet. I think I am going to tell her tomorrow that I want to be just friends," Bex kicked at the ground.

Her parents shared a worried look.

"Are you sure?" Her mom asked suddenly worried for her daughter, it was not like Bex to give in so easily on things like this.

Bex nodded.

"She didn't hurt you or anything did she?" Her dad asked.

"No dad, she didn't. This is just something I decided on my own. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm exhausted," She ran upstairs.

In her room, Bex sighed and collapsed on her bed. She reached for her phone to tell Joan she was okay and home but then she found it missing. She sat up and tried to remember where she had it last. She sighed when she realized it was probably still in Lyssa's room.

With a final sigh, she closed her eyes and fell back on her bed, letting sleep take her.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

101K 4.4K 81
She wanted to change and that's what she did. 17 year old Bailey Skeels has been one to follow rules and go by the book. But after getting accused f...
2.2K 298 31
Get ready for a thrilling ride with Ivy Myers as she moves to a small town to live with her mother. Little does she know that her life is about to ta...
159 14 6
Rebecca James is just a normal high class girl in her Florida high school, until her mother brings home a guy more interested in her daughter than he...
152K 9.5K 37
Tris thought she would go home for a quick visit after being convinced by her brother. More like begged and guilted. Not a few days there and her par...