Trials of love

By Clarajemmanuel

Right from when she was five, Hope, gained the name Everest from her mother depicting mountain Everest, due t... More

INTRODUCTION
CHAPTER ONE
CHAPTER TWO
CHAPTER THREE
CHAPTER FOUR
CHAPTER FIVE
CHAPTER SIX
CHAPTER EIGHT

CHAPTER SEVEN

7 4 4
By Clarajemmanuel

Daniel, worked a smile too fake to be true on his face. "Told you a reason?"

The shorter man shrugged. "Not reasonable enough."

"Escaping from someone?" He blurted. Upon hearing his accusation he held his breath, waited for a reply he sincerely hoped wouldn't be a question. 

His eyes widened. "Y-you think so?" 

Daniel, to cover his track, glared at him forcing the other man to take a step back. "What were her reason?"

"Uhmm… No… She wasn't comfortable with the salary." He shrugged again. "First to earn salary increase in just two months. Still that wasn't enough for her as her so greedy__"

Another round of stinky eye had him swallowing the rest of his words. Daniel knew the basis was as false as the love she claimed to had once felt for him. However, he decided to play along. "How much was she paid?"

"Sir…"

"How much?" Daniel repeated tersley.

"Twenty-five thousand naira."

Daniel, shook his head. When he realized what he was doing he sighed softly. Something that had nothing to do with understanding, and everything to do with anger and a touch of sadness. "Twenty-five thousand... like seriously?" A hounding guilt nicked inside of him. 

"Too much money right? You can imagine__"

"I need every details of her." 

"But…"

"Every single detail."

"I'm afraid__"

"You will be very afraid if you don't tell me what I demand for." Daniel, interrupted.

"She retrieved her application letter." He hurried to report. When he recieved another version of deadly glower, he added even more rapidly. "Fidelia, is a friend of hers, she might know a thing or two."

"Who is Fidelia?"

"The waitress you talked to earlier."

"Fetch her!"

Less than two minutes, Fidelia and the supervisor hurried back. Daniel, noted she was now avoiding eye contact. She might have been informed, he discerned. 

"I apologise for earlier…" Fidelia, said rubbing her sweaty palm on her jean. Afraid her summon might be to fire her, or punish her in another way.

Daniel, bite the inside of his mouth. "You mustn't apologize. You simply did as instructed. So tell me all you know about her." Fidelia's eyes bulged when he pulled out his wallet from the back of his pocket. Counted out twenty, one thousand naira notes and handed it to her. 

"Oh! Thank you! Thank you!" She did a little jump that was frozen in place by a glare her supervisors threw her way. Cracked an embarrassed laugh. "I only have her number."

"Ain't you her friend?"

"Only at work." She smiled cockily, let it dissolve when she saw the frown on Daniel's countenance. 

"Let me have it. That will serve."

Envy such she had never experienced roared like an angrily lion inside of her. Hesitantly she snached her phone from her pant pocket and scrolled through to contacts. His type was her dream man and she had just lost him to so-called Eva who wasn't any prettier than her. Infact she posses all the womanly physical endowment than Eva. She huffed, her breath getting more hotter. 

Finding Eva's digits, she briefly contemplated giving him a wrong number. But that will be an act of intentionally unleashing hell upon herself.

Hiding her bitter expression when she raised her head, she called out the numbers for him at the same time studied his clean long fingers as he punched the numbers. Wondered the extend of pleasure those soft hands would give her.

Recovering herself, she got lost again staring at his neat, well trimmed side-box when, Daniel  turned to the other man. Said som thing to him she didn't care to hear. Her hungry eyes strolled down  to his blue jean, swallowed roughly imagining what size his private was. Winced when she realized Daniel had caught where her eyes rested.

He frowned twice more. Eyes narrowed to slit. "Leave." He dismissed her. With a shame-filled nod of her fantasy heavy-filled head she scurried off. 

"I appreciate your cooperation." Daniel said to the other man. Counted out another twenty and extended it to him.

Grinning from ear to ear, he shoved it in his suit pocket. "Thank you, sir." He had been anxious for the tip, feared he wouldn't receive his when the little imp had jumped like an annoying toad. 

Grunting once in reply, Daniel eased into his car and drove off. Disgusted by the uncontrollable lust he saw on the waitress face. She was the type of woman he never associate with.

Talk of Eva who had quitted her source of living in the name of hiding from him as if he were a masquerade. He had said it, she doesn't want to associate with him ever again. If only he had believed himself. Went ahead to collect her application letter for good avoidance measure because her smart self already knew his desperate self would definitely come salivating back like a puppy to its owner. Playing with his emotions because she knew she held it and could use it at her own leisure. When would he learn to resist chasing her like he couldn't live without her? 

"All I care for is sweet revenge!" He exclaimed to block the voice that slowly started to taut him.

Seem she is the one getting the sweet revenge; the annoying voice interjected.

"Not again!'

_____________

"Maria, is home." Eva's sister shouted happily bursting into the bedroom she shared with her. "Wake, wake, wakeup." She threw her bag on the bed beside Eva's balled form and sat on the edge. "Sleeping by this time. Rough day at work?"

Eva, groaned turning to look at, Maria. Yawned and sat up. "What work?" She deliberatingly returned. 

"Yours of course." She eased her black stilleto shoe and shoved them to the side.  "Mine is always stressful but not as much as yours. There wasn't much customers at the bank today anyway."

"I became jobless since morning." Eva, admitted. "Best I get another."

"I know your job is sometimes… What?"

"I resigned."

"Why would you do that?"

"My choice."

"We talked about it."

"And I never said I wouldn't go ahead and do it."

"For him right?"

"What are you talking about?"

"Don't play dumb with me. You quitted to avoid, Daniel." Annoyance gradually building. Why would her sister be as fragile as wanting to escape what she feels for Daniel, she thought angrily. "Trying to hide yourself from him will solve nothing."

"Enough of your nagging." Eva, fired getting off the bed. "I have the right to do as I wish."

"No one is dragging that with you, Eva. But your stupidity is getting out of hand."

"Don't you dare called me stupid ever again. Who even gave you the right to tell me what to do or when to stop my job?"

"As your older sister I think I have the right. Especially when you aren't thinking straight."

"Oh, really?" Eva, placed her hands on her waist. 

Maria sighed heavily. "You are getting it all wrong. My concern is the fact that you are depriving yourself of what you want. Come to think of it sister, what impression are you giving him by quitting your job?"

"I don't know what you are talking about." Eva blinked rapidly. 

"You do. You really do, Eva." Maria rose. "If you don't love him, then stand your ground and show him how unaffected you are by his presence."

 Eva, knew that what Favour was pointing out was nothing but the real truth. But she also has her own reasonable reason. And her abashment for her wrong doing reinforced her to not admit. "Thank you for your advice, still I'm not interested."

"You've changed totally, Eva."

"Isn't that part of life? Change is constant."

"It'll come biting back at you someday. It might be too late before you realize it."

"Like what is your problem?"

"You are my sister. Seeing you this way hurt me."

Eva, bit her bottom lip. Her shoulder sagged under the weight of an invisible burden. She concentrated on the floor. "You don't get the whole picture here big sis."

"Oh! I do, alright."

She raised her head and stared at, Favor. "Do you know how it feels to unexpectedly see someone that meant a lot to you right when you have nothing? Lost everything?"

Favour, sighed. "Eva…"

"Do you know how it feels to love someone but can't have the person?"

"Eva, there is something about life…"

"Why are you bugging me if you've never had an experience." Eva, interrupted. "I fought and struggled so hard. Skipped several nights of sleep to make ouyt lives better. Worked all day and night till I was given the position of a manager. And them boom! Everything exploded like a late time bomb right on my face. Got kicked out my office like a thief. It shatters my heart in tiny pieces when I recall the number of companies I had applied afterward and was rejected. It kills me to see him again after I've lost all the things that cost me what I once shared with him. Do you know how shameful that is?" She shook her head. "He probably must be laughing at me right now."

Favour, stared at her. Unable to summon any word to say. After what felt like forever, she moistened her dey throat. "I'm sorry, Eva." She stood up and walked towards her. "I now realize what it is that is stopping you. Your worries. Never experienced it but know how bad it feels." She grabbed her shoulder; squeezed it slightly. "You will get back to your feet sooner or later. Keep your faith up and believe."

Eva, nodded when she found assurance in Favour's encouragement.

-----------------------------------------------

After putting through and recieving countless business calls, Daniel navigated on his executive chair. Elbow rested on the top of his desk, fingers stipled. His eyes half-closed and gazing at door. 

With a tap on the green button of his cell phone, he'd heard her voice. It's been two days since he'd saved her number. He couldn't find the nerve to call her. Felt he wasn't ready for any stinging return as a person too sensitive for his own good. 

Concentrating hard was what he had been practising lately. As a result, he demanded for unimportant and urgent meetings all in a bid to get away from his own tormenting mind and failing miserable at it. The other night he had taken a flight to Abuja, for good measures to gather his thoughts in a hotel of his. When it proved abortive, he had went so far as to flirt with random beautiful ladies. The more the women the angrier he had been. 

Conniption had congevstly downstring him to inexplicable modality. Suspected Eva to had obscure his personification from manifesting. If not so, why would a wealthy grown man rave for a woman not in anyway up to his caliber. If she could surpass thousands of prominent spinsters to capture his heart, then she must be capable of doing unimaginable things to him.

Daniel's phone rang. Gaging by the flash in his eyes, might had been for the best.

"Yes." He waited a bit, then glanced once more at the door. "Do I have an appointment with her?"

"Yes, sir. One fiftheen." His personal assistant replied.

He groaned.

"Sir, are you okay?"

"Yes. Show her in. Cancel the rest of my schedule."

"S-sir… Are you sure about that?"

Silence.

"Sorry sir. Right away sir."

Daniel disconnected the line. Twisted his head to the two sides to ease cramp. Straightened his posture and skimmed through the latest report. Dropped the paper when the door to his office opened soundlessly. Smiled as a tightly dressed woman shut the door behind her, cat-walked to the visitors seat. She was clad in black knit skirt that was six inches above her knee. Black tummy length handless singlet and a pink jacket above. Pink shoe that made her five inches taller. In her hand clutched a pink leather bag.

Smiled as Daniel got up. "Mr. Daniel." She extended her hand across for a shake. A lot further down to expose more of her cleavage. And took the soft hand he provided.

Unless he was wrong, she held it a moment too long. She is trouble, Daniel concluded. Plastered on a measured smile before detaching his still caged hand from hers and gestured to the seat.

"Should I take that instead?" She motioned to the black sofa five feets away to the left. 

"No. Please make yourself comfortable here." Daniel, replied instead. He couldn't help noticing the flush on her fair cheeks. He needn't to be considerate to her kind of woman; he thought when guilt surfaced.

"I prefer talking business in a more comfortable and condusive manner." She dropped in the chair and crossed her legs revealing her thin laps. "Decided to see you face to face because it's best to talk money physically."

"I appreciate once more for choosing my company. Mrs…"

"Miss." She hurriedly corrected.

"Miss Juliana…" He paused when his phone rang. Leaned back to answer it, after a minute dropped it and dutifully apologized for the interruption. 

"We are starting up in a week and need the supply of five petroleum and gas tanker for a start."

"Made payment?"

"In full. Three days ago."

And Daniel wondered why she bothered to see him. "I'll confirm from, Mr. Douglas then approve of the supply in two days." Just what he'd wanted to do right before she came.

"Also I want to ask you for a huge favour." She skimmed her eyes around the office. "Isn't it warm in here?" She more like said. "Do you mind if I take off my jacket?"

Daniel, shook his head. His suspicion growing tenfold. Choosing that moment, she stuck the tip of her tongue out and rolled it back in. Took a deep breath, pushed out her chest when she exhaled in his direction as she shrugged out of her jacket. All the while staring at him.

With an inward snort, Daniel noted she was braless when the shape of her… What he didn't dare think of, shot straight at him. 

Deliberately, Daniel glanced at his wristwatch. "I've got a meeting to catch up on in five minutes."

She froze at that. Frowned when it suddenly downed on her that her act of seduction hadn't yeilded fruit.  "You are a very busy man, I know." She placed the jacket on her exposed laps. "If you wouldn't mind us talking more over dinner. Whatever time you choose. Bill on me."

"Is that the favour you seek for?"

"Absolutely. I wouldn't want to take much of your time."

"I will contact you once I decide on a date and time."

"Please… Uhm, I mean looking forward to the day." She rose when, Daniel did. Presented her hand for a second shake.

Hesitating for a bit, Daniel took it briefly. Stiffened when she stroked the back of his palm with a finger. 

"Looking forward to your call."

He managed an exaggerated grin. "Do have a nice day, Mrs… Miss, Juliana." He intentionally replied to let her in on the fact that she looked like a mother of eight to behave so irresponsibly. 

Her signature frown returned. "Miss…" Turned and hurried out, obviously getting the message. On her way to the elevator, glared at the workers with so much contempt as though they were to be held responsible.

Daniel allowed himself a minute of mixed laugh. She wants the first to pull up such. Neither would she be the last. If not giving the pressure in him, he might have played along and thereafter kick her out amids the play acting.

He wasn't the type to fall for cheap and inexpensive seduction. His self discipline thought him better than to fall.

Awkwardly he recalled the qualities that had first attracted him to, Eva. He met her in a conference he'd attended. Her composure, charming charistma. Her eyes didn't widen when he told her about his company to compare to the other women he had approached ealier. 

Daniel shook his head. It was one of the reasons why he found her inressistable. Couldn't let go of her. Found it hard to totally forget about her. He thought he was the most stubborn till he'd met her. 

Snatched his hand back when he realized his finger was about to click on her number. No way he was doing it. He just can't for the life of him... Well, he did tap it. Closed his eyes as  though to shield himself from shame when it rang. His heart pounded ferociously. 

Dropping the plate she'd been pouring her vengeance on for the past forty minutes, Eva wiped her hands on a towel and angrily reached for her phone.

She'd told her ex-manager not to contact her. Why then is he calling to disturb her? She'd deleted his number and that of others she'd worked with. But she remembered his number started with zero-eight-zero and ended with three. She hated reexperiencing the stress of explaining all over again why she abandoned her ex-job. Might end up coming off rude than the first. Debated whether or not to pick the call. After several repetition of pick and don't pick, her twitching finger made the decision for her:

"Hello." Her voice was low, but carried enough harshness to be misunderstood. Just the right amount needed to pass across her irritation. 

Daniel tightened his eyes more. Swallowed hard. Frightened about the possibility of her hanging up on him when she discovered who it was. Could he handle the rejection? All over again?  "Eva…"

Her breath gushed out like fountain of water. She rested her weight on a chair to avoid falling. 

When she didn't respond, Daniel opened his eyes, his breath withheld. Waited for the click to confirm his fear. "E-eva…" His voice sounded pleading this time.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

268K 17K 20
*Featured Wattpad Story* ❝As they say, opposites attract.❞ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ Daniel Mormon is the luckiest person alive. Without even trying, he gets girls...
650K 39.6K 58
Love is just a word until someone comes along and gives it a memory... You know you're in love when you can say anything to the person and you know t...
3.3K 841 63
" Olivia, I liked you from the moment you hiccuped your way into my life. It's funny really but it's the truth. I also wasted a lot of time and this...
5.1K 269 13
"There's just something about you" he said looking at me, almost like he could see my soul "Something about me?... it's the chase Elliot, you'll g...