My Liege And I

بواسطة Sunset_vermont

My love, can you hear that? It is my heart that beats for you. The dew has long settled, where are you? My f... المزيد

INTRODUCTION
Scent
Wool
Say That Again
Smitten
Groveling
Ruyi
News
Jealous
Queen And I
Pain
Winter
Warmth
Favor
Jaded
Love
Cursed
Shame
Morning After
Leash
Happiness
Drunk Lovers
Soon
Baby
Dead
Mistress
For The Best
Loving Yu'er
Bribe
Leniency
Rabbit
New Mistress
Flowers
Monster
Barbarian
Fly
Forgiveness
Understand
City Gates
Smoke
Huntress
Snakes and Porridge
Obsession
Next Life
Poems and Parting
Till Old
Wedding
Rice
Stained Scrolls
My Liege
Dark
Pigeon
Dimly Lit Embers
Abandoned
The Dragon Poison
Price of War
Sister Nation
The Woman And I
His Weakness
Twin Flames
To Meet Again
Duty
Fated
Merciless
Pursuing Favor
Drown
Purpose
Assassin
The Cause
Pathogen
Get Even
Lord Liege's Desire
Crimson Pendant
To Bear
Tears of Elora
Goat's Heart
Spells and Mirrors
Comrades-in-arms
Retribution
Doom
Three Lifetimes
Sky
Soar
Nevertheless
Running in Futility
My Liege

No Doubt

2.5K 182 104
بواسطة Sunset_vermont

Chapter 10

Wei Li Lian
Imperial Concubine Wei
The Blacksword Academy

"Li Lian!"

Lilian turned to where the voice was coming from. It was Kong Cheng.

"Good morning," she smiled sweetly.

"Someone is in a good mood," he observed "and you look beautiful too."

"Do I?" she blushed.

She made a point to look her best for Yuwen Hong. Her hair was neatly tied with the few pins she owned and her clothes as feminine, although it was not the best material of the palace, it was an outstanding design she could not wait to show off to him.

A point to Yu’er, something unexpected actually, he never complained about her appearance at all. If he commented on it, it would be something nice. Not the opposite.

When Dao came, she had taken her time to rebuke Li Lian about her loosened hair and loose clothing. While on the previous day, Yuwen Hong had said nothing about it.

Yuwen Hong was not complicated because if he did not like something, he didn't waste time in stating that fact.

“Kong Cheng, please drop the notion of asking the emperor about his routine, I told you―”

“I get it, I get it, and I know that you were lying. I am not dumb.”

“Please do not approach him with such things, he can be quite short tempered when he chooses to be.”

“I said I get it!”

“You must," she winked, "and if you are such a good boy, I may put a nice word for you.”

“Really? Is this about me becoming a palace guard?”

“Yes! Why not?”

“You are the best person I have ever met, your beautiful face is so striking that I could happily die just staring at you. You are―”

“Don’t overdo it,” she laughed.

“Li Lian.” Lance approached them out of nowhere. He looked at Kong Cheng as if he was a pest and Kong Cheng got the message. He then did not waste time in excusing himself as he was supposed to be nowhere else but the training grounds.

“You look spectacular,” Lance gave her a once over.

“Thank you.”

He frowned, observing her suddenly rigid posture. “No need to tense like that, I will not do anything to compromise your position.”

“Thank you.” She needed that, really, because Yuwen Hong was not an easy person to calm down. “Lance…”

“No need to say it, I know and understand.” He looked at the grey winter sky and huffed. “It is sad but yes, I will let you go.”

This day was turning to be the best of all of them. “Thank you.”

“Yoh, Li Lian, why do you keep saying that?”

“I am left speechless by your kindness and willingness," she said.

“Well, since we are separating, I have made you a parting gift.”

She should be sad to be parting with him, but she couldn’t feel it with all the excitement to be with Yuwen Hong. She should never have taken her and him like they were not important. Yuwen Hong came into her life at a time she was alone, and ever since that he was her family. The person who cared for her with no restraint.

Lance pulled out a necklace from his pocket and shoved it over her head and onto her neck. He used the thread of it to tighten it around her neck. The necklace was a wooden naked woman. It was not ugly, it was not outstanding.

"I made it myself," Lance ran his hand on her cheek. A habit that needed to end.

“Thank you."

“Those words again, Li Lian. What is going on with you?”

Maybe she was feeling yesterday. The hinges of it still hung onto her heart that she was a little bit demotivated, in the midst of trying to be on her highest spirits.

“Your beholden emperor is waiting for you in the dining halls, he would like to have breakfast with you.”

Her heart skipped at that news. Every minute she could have with Yu'er was special and something she looked forward to.

“Do you mind if I escort you?”

“Will saying ‘no’ keep you from going?”

Lance smirked. “No.”

Li Lian sized up the sword in his hand. “Weapons are not allowed around the academy, except at the training grounds. Why are you holding yours around?”

The vein on his forehead visibly ticked. “Nothing, just expecting a good fight that I have been waiting for, for a long time.”

“Oh?”

“I cannot wait.”

She was about to ask more about it when he pushed her forth into the dining halls and her mind quickly dumped the subject to insignificance when she saw Yuwen Hong inside, conversing with the talkative senior from the deck on the previous day.

Lance kept close to her, although she would have preferred it if he disappeared. She feared having him near Yu’er in the case that Lance could get spiteful and spill the truth about her identity.

The senior noticed her first and whispered something to Yuwen Hong which made him smile. The senior said something again and they laughed, before he walked away. Yuwen Hong wore the familiar boyish smile as he took steps toward her.

“However, bit by bit the smile tore away from his face, a deadly scowl taking over. “Li Lian,” he said, but before she replied, Lance's face was cracking under the fist of Yu'er's hand.

“Yuwen Hong?” she snapped, shocked by Lance lying on the floor holding his jaw and grunting, the sword tossed away.

Yu’er took her face with both his hands. “Tell me it’s a lie!” he gruffly begged.

“What―”

“Did you kiss him?”

A flush of perspiration poured over her body. 

“Are you in love with him?” he yelled louder, the second time.

Her eyes blinked rapidly. “No… Yuwen Hong… Why would you say that?” She chose to answer only the second part, knowing he was going to misunderstand and turn a molehill into a mountain.

But he wasn't stupid. “Did you kiss him?”

Oh, there was no escaping this.

He read the hesitation on her and shoved her aside, picking Lance again. “Stupid barbarian! How dare you be so proud? Today I will kill you!”

The heavy cracking of bones again severed the air, making Li Lian wince.

"Yuwen Hong, please!"

She watched Lance trying to get the upper hand but being no match at all. Yuwen Hong was unrecognizable, hitting Lance to the pulp and not giving thought to it.

"Yuwen Hong!" she continuously cried, her pleading a lifeline to Lance surviving.

However, her beloved was not hearing her. It was obvious Lance was going to die. His death sentence was decided the minute Yuwen Hong found out.

That wouldn't do.

Li Lian quickly hurled herself onto Yu'er and clutched his hand. He however disliked that as he waved her off like an irritating bug till she fell to the floor.

"Don't start what you can't carry, Li Lian, I will kill you too!"

She knew there was meaning to his threat as she stood holding her bruised hand, watching in bewilderment as he hit her fellow countryman.

Excruciatingly.

"Oren! Please help! He is going to kill him." Li Lian was relieved to see the master come in with other people. They immediately surrounded Yuwen Hong and pushed him off, Master Oren taking the lead in shoving Yu'er to the wall.

She'd never seen the wild look in Yuwen Hong's eyes. He was lost in his anger and not thinking.

Lance rolled on the floor, groaning and coughing blood.

"Lance, I'm so sorry. It's my fault!" she lifted the half conscious Lance. His face was disfigured, and oh was it terrible.

He smiled painfully. "That was fun. I wanted this."

Her head shook, avoiding to stare at his eye, the one bleeding badly. She was fully aware the chances of him using it again were next to none. Why Lance wasn't screaming in pain was beyond her.

He grinned this time, flashing the blood coating his teeth. "In Furia, the princess can only be betrothed to the man who is the best fighter. I fairly won your hand in marriage and I couldn't let you go without fighting too. I honor where I come from… our ways… more than my life."

"How can you be so careless! Yuwen Hong is not on your level, he is not like us, Lance. He doesn't care for life." Tears brimmed in her eyes.

"Don't be foolish… I killed for you too, back home… when we were fighting against each other for you."

"I'm sorry. I did not think…"

"Stop being sorry, what is there to apologize for? I lost fairly."

He was just comforting her. It wasn't a fair battle. Yuwen Hong had Lance down without him expecting it. He was an animal.

"At least I know now that I have a lot of practise to do. Isn't it?" Lance winced as his throat gurgled with assumedly blood.

"Li Lian! Don't force my hand!" Yuwen Hong was raging even though Oren held a encased sword to his neck.

"You are a student in here, and I will have to punish you if this goes further," Oren chastised him.

"I have been here for days and you have disrespected me by not giving me your time, acting high and mighty. We have had a good relationship, yet so far you are doing badly as a master by trampling on all the good things I thought about you."

Oren released his sword from the case. "You are getting mouthy."

"Let's take it to the ground, Old man," Yu'er sneered.

"Spoilt wimp of an emperor," Oren lay his sword on Yu'er's neck, still not losing his cool.

"Yuwe―"

A hand held Li Lian back as she intended to go beg for peace between the two men.

"I think you should let them go. Hong'er needs to burn off his emotions." It was Ruo Xi.

"Master Oren may get agitated and there will be one of them who dies," Li Lian reasoned.

Ruo rolled her eyes, annoyed. "They always do that. No one will die. It's their way of communication, rather than speaking in which they will exchange awful words."

Li Lian looked back to see physicians carrying out Lance. She wanted to escort them but Ruo Xi softly snuck her hand around her wrist. "Don't think of it. You have done enough damage, haven't you?"

"Lance was my friend."

"Then it ends today if you want your friend to live. You saw Hong'er act up, just now. Once is fool on him. Twice is fool on you. Don't do it."

Li Lian exhaled. She couldn't face herself. She needed time alone. To think. To forgive herself, and to decide what next.

Although Yu'er had dealt with Lance, he was still to deal with her. And she deserved what was coming.

No doubt.

S.V

واصل القراءة

ستعجبك أيضاً

235K 25.4K 92
In order to uncover the mystery behind her sister's death, Li Jingrui will stop at nothing even if she must become a palace maid to serve a stern bas...
3K 150 15
Three lifetimes of endless cycle and despair; Heaven knows how much I wish to go back to the days where I wasn't haunted by the pain, devastation, an...
281K 19.4K 92
To His Majesty, It is in the middle of the night and I keep tossing and turning. To relieve my mind and hopefully sleep, I am writing this to you. A...
907 13 10
(UPDATES INTERMITTENTLY) A regular guy gets transmigrated into a palace intrigue novel that he's been reading as a background character. Yes, you'v...