Guardians: Away Mission Book...

By AuthorJMColes

#1 paranormal fantasy #1dragonlove #55 paranormal romance Alex and the dragon brothers Gabe, Cale, and Rile... More

Copyright notice/ Cover credit
Arrival Part 1.1
Getting to Know You Chapter 1.2
Party time! 1.3
Getting To Know You...Too Much 2.1
The Roman Circus 2.2
This Heart Ain't Built for Two...Ch. 2.3
Make A Change. 3.1
Release Me Ch. 3.2
Did he or Didn't He? Ch. 3.3
Clutch Rights Ch. 4.1
Never Argue with Bathing, Resting, and Partying Ch. 4.2
Ick! Perverts! Ch. 4.3
Rescuing Razz 5.1
Tell Them What?! Ch. 5.2
Rescuing Gabe? Ch. 5.3
Sleeping Next To, Not With, Redone Ch. 6.1
Sacrifice to Political Expediency Ch. 6.2
Retrieving Alex Ch. 6.3
Of Palaces and Eggs Ch. 7.1
Fighting for the Boys Ch. 7.2
Saving Rile Ch. 7.3
Building A Harem? Ch. 8.1
Rescuing Razz....Again Ch. 8.2
Revolutionary Anolis Females...Still Evil...Ch. 8.3
Urgent Ch. 9.1
Before Battle Ch. 9.2
The Battle Begins Ch. 9.3
Post Battle Joy Ch. 10.1
Just When You Think The Battle's Over... Ch. 10.2
Back To Earth Ch. 10.3
The Beginning of the End? Ch. 11.1
Heads Will Roll... Ch. 11.2
Ch. 11. 3 The End
Betrayal - Book 3 of the Guardians Saga
Betrayal Ch. 1.1
Betrayal Ch. 1.2
Betrayal Ch. 1.3 Jabs Back and Forth
Cover Credit

Bonus Chapter: Sunning With Chameleons

85 13 76
By AuthorJMColes

A/N: This is just a fun bit, a character development chapter with no plot movement, but hey, like I said, it's for fun.

***

Seeing that the brothers were gone yet again, Alex drew her sword in the common area and started to practice: thrusts, cuts, slice, blocks, overhead chops. The pommel opal glowed in its green and orange cracks and she felt it was urging her on.

Memories of training with a sword in a large, mirror-lined studio flowed back to her but gently, and only of practice forms. She couldn't 'see' anyone else but heard a male voice instructing her with kindness.

Alex sliced right and left and when she tried to twirl to slice an imaginary attacker behind her, she stumbled slightly and her sword sent the clay water pitcher smashing to the ground.

Instantly two chameleon guards entered, swords drawn, their color a fierce red.

"Sorry," she told them. "Just a bit of practice."

Their color calmed to a dark, leafy green.

"I'm Alex." She held her hands out palm up in the way she had seen other species doing. "What are your names?"

Each one covered her palm with one of theirs. "That is Zed and I am Zimri," the taller one said and his companion nodded. "You don't have enough room in here,"

"Zed, she's an honored guest. Let's take her to the inner sunning garden. It'll be deserted at this hour. No one starts sunning until the sixth hour."

Zed changed to a bright, excited green. "Yes! She's called a Guardian, same as her Anolis-like teammates. She saved the Council President and deserves the honor of the inner garden. Guardian, would you like to see it?"

Alex grinned. "Sounds like fun and I'll have more room for practice. Please lead on."

They walked the halls and saw the stalwart Hilto, who bowed politely at them.

"We're taking the Guardian to the inner sunning garden," Zed said. "Will you please inform Zilik?"

Hilto bowed again. "Yes, and I will bring refreshments. Guardian, I will bring cool water, sausage bites, and the stuffed dates you seem to enjoy."

"The ones rolled in sugar and cinnamon?" Alex asked in delight.

He smiled at her fondly. "Yes, of course."

Alex hugged him and he chuckled and patted her shoulder.

"I'm sorry, was inappropriate?" Alex asked when the guards exchanged amused glances.

"Not at all," Hilto said smoothly. "I am honored."

"Please tell Lok as well where we are taking the Guardian," the other guard said.

Zed nudged him slightly. "Zimri, what are you up to?"

"Oh, you'll see." Zimri's green color once again brightened in excitement.

Hilto backed away slightly and bowed again. "I'll shall make sure both are notified and meet you there with refreshments."

The guards led Alex through a maze of hallways lined with stone floors. Statues of the various species, mostly in sedate poses although a few brandished swords, lined the walls. They opened large wooden doors into a desert oasis. A fountain bubbled out of a giant sea-blue vase and filled a large circular pool. The ground was gravel, and palm trees dotted the area, while large, flat-topped boulders were scattered about. It was surrounded by ten foot stone walls. Zed and Zimri made short work of inspecting the garden and then motioned Alex inside.

"Please, Guardian, continue your practice."

Alex drew her sword and started with a basic form that flowed into her mind.

***

After half an hour, she was drenched with sweat and sat on the edge of the pool surrounding the fountain. The doors opened and Hilto hurried inside, bearing a large tray. A small gecko bearing a water pitcher and clay cups followed him.

"Forgive my lateness," Hilto said. "The dates had to be purchased and prepared fresh for you." He set up the plates of cut fruit and stuffed dates on the flat top of the nearest boulder while his assistant set up the pitcher and cups.

"You're my hero," Alex said and took a cup. The gecko filled it before she could reach the pitcher. "Thank you. What's your name?"

The gecko looked taken aback at the question, but recovered quickly and said, "It is Gehu, Guardian."

Alex bent her head to him. "Thank you, Gehu and thank you, Hilto."

"It is our pleasure. Should you need anything else, do not hesitate to ask." Hilto bowed and left, the gecko scurrying after him.

Alex poured cups of water for Zed and Zimri. "Here, you must be thirsty."

Their color brightened in surprise and after a brief glance at each other, they accepted the cups.

"You are a most, ah..." Zed looked at Zimri for help finding a word.

"Strange?" Alex asked with a smile.

"No, more like unbiased," Zed said.

"Egalitarian," Zimri said in a helpful tone.

The doors to the garden opened again and Lok entered with two Chameleon guards of his own. He rubbed his hands in satisfaction and said, "Ah, I see we are discussing the beautiful and dangerous Alex and having refreshments."

Alex raised a water cup to him. "Lok, you have impeccable timing."

"You have finished training?"

"For now."

Lok kissed her hand. "Then yes, I have impeccable timing." He motioned to his guards, who took up position. He turned to Zed and Zimri. "My thanks. Enjoy the garden."

To Alex's astonishment, the two chameleons gleefully laid aside their swords and dagger and began removing their clothing.

"That's why I invited Lok," Zimri told his companion with satisfaction. "He rewards those who serve him well."

"What are you doing?" Alex's voice constricted to a squeak.

Zed and Zimri once again exchanged amused glances.

"We did say this was a sunning garden. Lok has rewarded us by bringing two guards to relieve us so we may sun." Zed removed his pants and when Alex covered her eyes, he asked, "Whatever is wrong, Guardian?"

Lok took one of her hands and kissed it again. "You have nothing to fear, beautiful and dangerous, yet oddly shy, one."

Alex peeked through the fingers of her hand still over her eyes. Both Zed and Zimri were nude and their bodies as discrete as any reptiles. She blew out a breath in relief and let her hand fall. The two chameleons happily positioned themselves on a flat-topped boulder to enjoy the sun.

"Come, sit with me by the fountain," Lok said. "Although we have only water, we can still drink and eat. Will you resume training after refreshment or may we sun together?"

"I don't do nude sunbathing." Alex's voice squeaked again.

"Really? How odd to sun in clothes. Whatever do you wear?" Zilik asked as he led Alex to the side of the fountain. He sat down and drew her beside him.

"They're called bathing suits." Alex took a date to distract herself and nibbled on it.

Zilik bit into a piece of fruit. "What do they look like?"

Alex motioned from her neck to her hips. "They cover from here to here. The material is similar to that of the jumpsuits y'all wear."

Zilik motioned and one of the guards came over. "Tell Hilto to have one of these 'bathing suits' made for the Guardian."

Alex blushed. "That's not necessary."

Zilik leaned close and whispered in her ear, "Not necessary but very enjoyable. Life is not all work, my dear."

The guard hurried out while Zed and Zimri looked at each other in a knowing way. Alex wondered if they were brothers or partners since they seemed so close. Before she could ask, Zilik entered through the doors, his tail lashing in irritation, his color flushed to a light red.

"Oh, hello," Lok said in a neutral tone.

"Now now boys." Alex patted Lok's shoulder. "We're all friends here. Aren't we, Zilik?"

Zilik puffed out a breath and looked so adorably annoyed that Alex jumped up and hugged him.

Alex was quick to release him. "Zed and Zimri were kind enough to bring me here after I smashed a water pitcher practicing my sword in my quarters. They also told both you and Lok that I was here and Hilto brought my favorite: stuffed dates. Let's eat and relax a bit."

"You know the names of your guards?" Zilik asked in surprise.

"Why wouldn't I?" Alex took the opportunity to eat a date.

"How very egalitarian of you," Lok said with approval.

"That's what I said!" Zimri exclaimed from the boulder. "She is most Chameleon-like. I like her."

"Me, too," Zed said, not opening his eyes from where he lay sprawled in utter contentment.

Lok looked at the guard indulgently. "You have won over the Chameleons."

"That's one species," Alex replied with a sigh.

"No one likes Anolis females," Zimri said with heat. "Don't you worry about their opinion, Guardian."

"Indeed." Lok guided Alex back into a sit next to him but Zilik was quick to sit on her other side.

"Let's speak of something else," Zilik said.

"The next Chameleon party," Zed said. "And how we will invite the Guardian to it."

"Agreed!" Zemri chimed in and they both chuckled.

"Chameleons make the best guards." Alex winked at them.

***

Dedicated to all my loyal readers, especially the ones who keep reading through the

series - wish I could list you all!

LisaGray373

IanReeve216

LadySapphire2018

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

25 1 4
Matt wanders back into Alexs's life... injured and babbling. Why is he here? Alex doesn't have time to argue, not with Matt's life on the line. Howev...
147K 7.7K 54
New edited version out now!!! I highly recommend reading that one instead, as this was the very first rough write of this story! As an alien invasion...
392K 14.1K 52
"Have you found her yet?!" a man sitting on chair asks impatiently. "No, my lord," the soldier says bowing his head. "Well what are you doing here th...
623 152 55
#1 empowerment, #9 superwoman highest rank. Alex and the dragon brothers are reunited on their home world of Olam, but death stalks their every step...