Ambrosia [elsa/merida]

By seeinglights

Four times Elsa buys flowers from Merida and one time she gets them free. More

preamble
001. a matter of pride
002. your first gay panic
003. [damn] angel of death
004. SHE'S FLIRTING WITH YOU??
005. the goddess, freya?
006. she likes you more
007. with me, that is
008. oh.
010. do it, then

009. i liked my mornings more

114 10 4
By seeinglights

NOTE: the previous chapters have been edited. nothing major — altered dialogue, fixed typos, 700 more words of merida gay panicking and being dramatic (ur not obligated to reread, esp since this chapter has a 'recap' 👀)

_____________________________

💐Delivery #1

"WOULD YOU LIKE another bouquet? Really?"

     "Okay, so you say you're fine but it's been three hours since you've lied down and kept saying that one line," Anna says, just beside her on the magenta wingback. "It's okay, Elsa."

     She sits up from the sofa finally and faces her sister. "I am fine!"

     Elsa feels like a fool. Anna rolls her eyes, already having gone this stage weeks ago.

     Weeks ago, when she met someone at the library – the new assistant! He was cute, and she accidentally spilled an avalanche of books on his head. He was nice about it (Don't worry, I got a thick skull.) but she still managed to sputter all over him on checkout when he tried to ask her out.

     Anyway, she told Elsa all about it and as the older sister, of course she intervened somehow to get the engine running – a tiny thing that could do the message. And what's more romantic than flowers?

     Yes! Elsa patted herself on the back that night. (And Anna says I don't know how to be romantic. Ha!)

     Of course, that's when things started.

     Dunbouquet's been around since they were kids. Since when did the stern (but kind) older woman serving her parents leave the shop to her?

     To backtrack: Elsa knows her. Well, she's seen her before. At the bakery, in the park – too busy looking at notebooks or skating to notice Elsa back. Gods.

     She busies herself by looking at the arrangements on the boxes to avoid staring, and that's when the wildflowers caught her eye. Right. She was here for Anna. Great. All she had to do now was go up and discuss the arrangement she wanted. Should be simple.

     But oh, this florist — she doesn't even have a nametag! — has wild red hair, blue eyes, and Elsa fucking stammers all over herself when she started talking about the flowers and what they meant. The camellias and the geranium.

     The florist and the flustered customer who suddenly felt bad for not helping.

     She was nice about it. Don't worry about it, she said. But Elsa does, of course. She went straight to the bookshop and bought a book on flower language.

     (The florist saw her effort, and Elsa couldn't help but blush at being noticed.)

     Somehow, things escalated. And Elsa doesn't mean to be a bad sister, but Anna constantly messing up with her library boy gave her more reason to visit the shop and talk to the florist. They're normal conversations, but Elsa absolutely flutters inside for every word.

     It's embarrassing, she visits every other day, flushing pink every time, and this florist is nice enough to still accommodate her every request.

     "Who is she?" Anna immediately asked when Elsa got home, smiling like an idiot.

     "Huh?"

     "You're wearing your gay earrings." Elsa subconsciously holds her crystals. "You only wear that when you're trying to communicate that you're into girls. Who is she?"

     Giving in with a sigh, Elsa smiled helplessly. "Her name's Merida."

     Merida.

     Anna listened when she explained how happy she was every time she had troubles with Kristoff, because it would mean another half hour in the shop, another chance to see the light shine on Merida's features and curls whenever she opened the door, like she was one of the flowers blooming in the sun, like she was the most beautiful part of creation.

     "You got it bad," Anna said, but smiled right after. "I'm so happy for you! You should ask her out!"

     Elsa was out of practice, to be honest.

     She found out the next day that not only were Kristoff and Anna dating, but also that she told him everything. It was embarrassing, but he really supported her pursuit, using the words of the delivery guy (He said she likes you.) — who he'd been friends with now apparently — as further proof she should go for it.

     Elsa started to think about it (the most pressing argument is Merida called her Freya).

     "What are you waiting for? This is so unlike you!" Anna laughed.

     Elsa bit her lips, and Kristoff's phone ding-ed suddenly.

Flower Boy to Ice Lad, 9:59 AM: merida has it BAD

     Oh.

     Anna squealed when Elsa finally decided to go for it. She also agreed excitedly when she asked her to come for morale support.

💐

"I'm not that torn up about it," Elsa says like a liar, lying back down. "I'm fine! It's just . . . I didn't think she's straight."

     Anna hums in agreement. Two days ago, she would have thought Merida had the same feelings as her sister. It's a shock to both of them, really.

     In that moment, someone knocks on the door, and Kristoff (who's been there nearly every day since he and Anna got their shit together) offers to answer. Thank gods, both sisters are too emotionally taken to get up.

     "I guess she's just being nice." Elsa sits up finally, pouting as she toys with the tail of her braid. "Would you like another bouquet? No. I'd like YOU, please." She huffs and lies back down.

     "Merida?"

     Elsa and Anna both whip their heads to where Kristoff stands, all three in shock.

     "Uh, yes?" Elsa hears her familiar accent, and her heart flutters enough to grow wings. "Does Elsa live here?"

     She's HERE?!

     "SHE LIVES HERE!" Anna screeches suddenly. And then in a forced whisper, "Oh. My. God."

     She jumps to her feet, pulls Elsa off the sofa and knowingly holds both her shoulders to steady her from fainting.

     "I think I know what's about to happen. You can do this."

     Frankly, Elsa doesn't know what the fuck is about to happen. Why is Merida here? She isn't complaining, though. She nods. And while Anna drags Kristoff away from the doorframe, Elsa goes to a mirror and fixes herself.

     When she arrives at the door, she sees Merida standing in a huge coat, hair tied, and carrying the most beautiful bouquet Elsa has ever seen. The florist breathes out soft "Hi" when their eyes meet, and Elsa sees how nervous she is. It's the same look she saw on her reflection that day she planned to ask her out.

     What could she be planning? "Hi."

     "Ice La – er, he knows me?"

     Anna's head pops in suddenly from behind the door frame. "Elsa describes you so poetically." And then disappears.

     Elsa closes her eyes instead of burying her head in her hands. She forces herself to look up and sees that Merida's a bit red on her cheeks. "Can . . . Can I ask why you're here?"

     "Right." Merida breathes in. "I just want to say that, I fucked up yesterday. I like you. Since you walked in, I think, which is embarrassing. Not to mention creepy since I'm here at your house — a-and if you want me to leave and never see me again, it's okay and I totally understand. It's just — you chose my bouquet. Not a lot of people even look at it. And it's so endearing that you studied the flower meanings, because not a lot of people actually do that too —"

     "Wait. What do you mean, don't florists?" Good Ahtohallan, she must've looked like such a dork.

     "We really only arrange based on looks." Merida takes her mortified silence as a green light to continue. "But I study those too, for fun. So, that was really nice. So, um. I was already trying to tone down my crush on you and was straight up failing. It also kind of doesn't help that you're the prettiest girl I've ever met — I'm sorry, this is going terribly. But — uh, there has been a miscommunication. And if it's okay, will you go out with me?"

     Elsa finds herself to have been smiling the entire speech. Ever since I like you. Since you walked in. "I think I had a crush on you before all this."

     That takes Merida by surprise. "What?"

     "I've seen you before, really. So, you doing this isn't creepy for me at all. Not when I've already seen you before, and for longer."

     Merida, confused but smitten, bites her lips to hide her smile. It's cute. "Where?"

     "Around. The park, the bakery. It was just a small thing. I thought you were pretty" — Merida's surprised again, and Elsa can't believe it — "and I enjoyed my mornings more. Oh, please know I didn't stalk you or anything."

     Merida chuckles. "It's okay. I'm here at your house to ask if you'd wanna go on a date with me." She holds out the flowers, a sheepish smile on her face. Elsa's so gone already. "These are for you."

     She takes them happily and giggles. "God, we're dorks."

     Merida adds, "I also thought you were straight at one point."

     That's when Elsa laughs. Something loud and full of heart. She understands everything completely now. Front and back, head to toe. They're idiots!

     "Sorry! It's just," she says, catching her breath. "I thought you were straight."

     This time, it's Merida who laughs. "You what?"

     "I thought it's why you rejected me." Elsa continues, laughing with her.

     "I'm a lesbian, Elsa!"

     "I get that now!"

     They continue laughing until they tire and all that's left is comforting silence, their soft stares accompanied by gentle smiles. Elsa asks, "Can I invite you inside?"

     Merida nods.

💐

Inside, Elsa places the new arrangement on a wooden tray at the center table. She offers Merida tea, and they sit drinking side by side on the same sofa. She's surprised she got this far, surprised that Elsa liked her too. It all feels unreal. (Jack's not hearing about this.)

     "By the way," she asks, "you never answered. The Coffee-Tea-Mediterranean Food thing is still up, right?"

     Elsa grins and takes out a flower to admire it. Slyly, she replies, "Yes, but only because I like this new one you added."

     Merida tries to hold the flora in inspection, but Elsa doesn't let go, so they both kind of hold onto it with each hand. Merida realises she has moved closer, and that Elsa did not move away.

     She also notices that her hand is cupping Elsa's a bit.

     "It's ambrosia," she explains. "Food of the gods. Thought to go all out this time."

     "It's perfect," Elsa says, looking back at Merida as she lowers her hand. Merida lets hers follow, until it rests just by the edge of Elsa's lap, and it's not the flower they're holding anymore.

     Elsa decides to lace their fingers together. They're already there. Merida notices and holds her hand, cupping her palm and finding they fit perfectly. Finally.

     They laugh again, shyly. "Can't believe it took us this long."

________________________

A/N: so, hi...me again. idk if anyone's still reading this since a lot of us have left this site or have been locked out. but if ur here, hi!! i hope life is treating u well. thank you for reading and im sorry for not updating for....3 years. no excuse rlly except the typical (life, switched fandoms, etc). i only recently returned to this somehow on s4 of the lockdown and went in deep.

how deep? i also drew elsa's outfits from the previous visits – added them to the chapters but here's also a comp so u dont have to go all the way back

(there's also a merida outfit but it's not done as of now)

anw, the tone of this fic changed and tbh im not that satisfied w this part for many reasons but it's okay!! theyre together now that's what matters lmao (dw there's still a last part / epilogue — will post within the week — mostly fluff tho, the bulk of the Plot (tm) rlly ends here)

okay enough babbling

comments n votes r forever appreciated n encouraged 🥰

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

253K 2.1K 31
Just a bunch of Jelsa stories. Includes Smut ;) *WARNING MATURE CONTENT AND LANGUAGE* BEST RANKING : #4 in Elsa THANK YOU SO MUCH MY LOVELIES FOR S...
84.9K 3K 41
Elsa Winters could be easily described as perfect. She has a great family, awesome friends, a secured future, beautiful looks, and above it all, she...
7.2K 264 30
ElsaXJack I will try to update as fast as I can! I love you all, thanks for 3.3k reads! you're the best <3
21.2K 740 25
"I can't even come pay my best friend a visit anymore?!" "We aren't best friends anymore, hell we...