Turning Tides- Snape's Sister...

By jade_diamond11

Evelyn Snape is a werewolf. (Just don't tell anyone). She's also the twin of Severus and both are best friend... More

Prologue- Just a Pair of Redheads and a Slimeball
Chapter 1- Meeting the Mischief Makers
Chapter 2- Into the Snake Den
Chapter 3- Tensions Rising
Chapter 4- A Centaur with a Solution
Chapter 5- Fooling the Fools
Chapter 6- First Detention
Chapter 7- Maps and Blackmail
Chapter 8- The Boy with Hazel Eyes
Chapter 9- A Rather Dismal Announcement
Chapter 10- Painful Transformations
Chapter 11- Banters About A Ball
Chapter 12- Unpleasant Holidays
Chapter 13- Wolfsbane Decisions
Chapter 14- Guilt
Chapter 15- Protecting Snivellus
Chapter 16- End of 5th Year
Chapter 17- Flirtations for a New Year
Chapter 18- Flying Dangerously
Chapter 19- The Wolf's Out of the Bag
Chapter 20- It's a Scary World Out There
Chapter 21- Redemption
Chapter 22- Wisdom from Dumbles
Chapter 23- Comfort from a Boy with Bedhead
Chapter 24- A Whirlwind Kiss
Chapter 25- So the Romance Begins
Chapter 26- Nerves and Quidditch
Chapter 27- Potter's Not a Complete Toerag, Lily
Chapter 28- Lily's Confession
Chapter 29- It All Comes Undone
Chapter 30- Six Months Later
Chapter 31- Strange Encounters of Diagon Alley
Chapter 33- Teenage Mischief
Chapter 34- Missions with Moody
Chapter 35- Patronus Pairs
Chapter 36- Order Meetings and Hope
Chapter 37- Potter Christmas Party
Author's Note
Chapter 38- There's a War Burning
Chapter 39- Regulus's Plan
Chapter 40- Into the Cave
Chapter 41- Kreacher
Chapter 42- RAB
Chapter 43- Deerly Beloved
Chapter 44- The Spy
Chapter 45- Matchmaker
Chapter 46- Surprise!?
Chapter 47- The End
Chapter 48- Or Is It?
Chapter 49- Madness of the Ministry
Chapter 50- Turning Tides
Author's Note

Chapter 32- James Has An Army?

11.5K 377 68
By jade_diamond11

"You want me to what?" Evelyn stared, her eyes wide in indignation.

Dumbledore leaned back in his chair, comfortable in his office. "It has come to my attention that Mr. Potter and his friends have decided to train a student army. Doubtless, they are angry with me for refusing their participation in the Order." He peered over his half moon spectacles, fixing Evelyn with his piercing gaze, "I want you to help."

Evelyn looked around at the portraits hanging on nearly every corner of the wall. Some occupants watched her exchange with Albus in interest, while others rarely awoke. It was strange for her to be back and she didn't enjoy being away from Headquarters. There it was safe. "I'm not sure that's a good idea, Professor." She sat down, biting her lip. "The students won't forget I'm a werewolf."

"Ah," Dumbledore folded his hands together in front of his face, leaning forward. "I think you will find that in a time of such conflict, small facts are easily overlooked." He raised an eyebrow knowingly, "but I do not think that is your only fear."

Evelyn sighed, furrowing her brow. "James and the others aren't exactly on speaking terms with me at the moment." She bit her lip, "I'm trying to keep it that way."

"To keep from getting hurt again," Dumbledore observed, his blue eyes twinkling. "Yet it is when we learn to trust that we no longer bear great pain alone." The Headmaster stood, motioning for her to exit. "However, if that is your choice, I still ask that you help train the others. Their defense is crucial. I have arranged for a guide to lead you to the Room of Requirement."

Evelyn turned around, looking toward the doorway. A smile burst on her face. "SEV!"

Her brother lingered in the shadows, shifting uncomfortably, although he sent her a stiff grin. His hair had grown out a bit, falling softly against his forehead. Evelyn wrapped her arms around him, laughing wildly.

"You're alright!" she pulled back, scanning his expression carefully. "What's happened?"

Dumbledore waved a hand, his robes trailing against the stone floor. "Severus, I trust you will fill your sister in on all the necessary information?"

The Slytherin nodded abruptly before turning and exiting the office. Evelyn followed him immediately, without a glance backwards.

"What's been going on?" Evelyn hissed after she was certain there were no passerby. She pulled her brother's arm, forcing him to a halt. "What have you been doing?"

"You never learn patience!" Severus snapped, his eyes flashing in annoyance. Taking a deep breath through his nose, he let out a sigh. "Seeing as you will let me go no further without an interrogation, I'm going to say everything now. But you can't interrupt," he raised an eyebrow, "understood?" At Evelyn's nod, he began to pace in the corridor. "I thought being close to the Death Eaters would be useful. That I could protect you from attacks. Regulus plays a significant role, and I've tried to watch out for him for you." Severus rolled his eyes, "not that he accepts it. After I heard that you were fighting for the Order, I decided to follow. They need at least one competent fighter."

Evelyn's mouth fell open as she stared at her brother in shock. "You work for the ORDER?"

"Please, announce it for the entire school to hear," Severus hissed, his eyes flashing over her shoulder dangerously. He lowered his voice, "I'm a spy."

Evelyn's face paled as she noted his serious expression. "How?"

Severus groaned before grabbing her arm harshly and pulling her down the corridor. "Do you ever stop asking questions? It means I work for both sides."

Evelyn halted as her brother came to a stop, panting heavily. She wiped a bead of sweat from her face. "I admit, I'm impressed." She sent Severus a mischievous grin, "never thought you would be the trouble maker."

Severus rolled his eyes before striding away hurriedly, not bothering to wait for Evelyn to catch her breath. "You can't say anything to anyone."

"I'm not that thick!" Evelyn followed her brother up a flight of stairs, narrowly jumping off before they moved. "Besides, I only see Fabian and Gideon these days."

"Why you sought the company of those ginger idiots I'll never know," Severus paused at the end of the corridor. "But it's better than Potter." Noticing Evelyn's pained expression, he sighed. "Just spit it out."

"What?" Evelyn bit her lip guiltily. "Okay, fine. I still like him, Sev." Lowering her voice further, she looked down at her hands. "But seeing as Lily is the only one really speaking to me, I don't see friendship happening anytime soon."

Severus stiffened a bit at the mention of the redhead and he looked away. "Well that makes two of us." He met Evelyn's gaze, his dark eyes unreadable. "Sometimes you have to let them go in order for them to be happy." There was a pause before he turned to face a blank wall at the end of the corridor. "Now pace in front of this and think that you want to see Potter's army."

Evelyn stared at her brother incredulously. "You want me to what?"

"Oh for the love of—" Severus snapped, pulling her by the elbow. "Just do it."

Evelyn frowned, but closed her eyes obediently and walked back and forth in front of the wall. "I want to meet Potter's army."

There was a crack and she snapped her eyes open as a steel door appeared among the stone, shining majestically.

"Welcome to the Room of Requirement." Severus looked at the door with a guarded expression.

"So, I guess this is it, isn't it," Evelyn felt stab of longing as she faced him. She had greatly missed her twin. "I don't know when I'll see you again."

"Anytime will be too soon," Severus raised an eyebrow dryly as he turned away. "Be careful Evelyn."

She watched him go, his black robes disappearing into the dark corridor. After he was out of sight, she turned back to face the door and taking a deep breath, pushed it open apprehensively.

The room was a large chamber, lighted by a few glass chandeliers hanging from the ceiling. A few mirrors lined the walls, but other than that the area was free of any decorum. A series of dummies in the shape of Death Eaters stood throughout the room, each surrounded by a group of students who took turns throwing jinxes and spells in their direction.

Evelyn watched as James stood in one corner, helping a third-year student with his dueling form. She grinned as the boy cheered dramatically and the student managed to disarm his opponent.

"What are you doing here?"

She spun around to see Remus eyeing her warily, his expression thoughtful.

"Dumbledore wanted me to help," she explained quickly, feeling a wave of nervousness. "But I'm not trying to take over or anything, you know and..."

"Evelyn! Relax," Remus held up a hand, a glimmer of amusement returning to his eyes. "I'm not going to bite your head off." He paused, folding his arms across his chest. "Why did you leave last year? And don't give some heroic story."

Evelyn stiffened, feeling a wave of embarrassment. "James, really," she admitted, looking away. "But please don't say anything."

"I thought as much," Remus grimaced in sympathy, motioning to her to sit beside him. "You let him go to Lily, didn't you?"

"And it's too painful to watch the aftermath," Evelyn chewed on her lip, toying with her wand. "I just couldn't. And seeing as I was going to have to leave Hogwarts soon anyways, I decided to go. But I am sorry for not saying goodbye."

Remus dipped his head in acknowledgement, plucking at the thread on his robes. He shifted uncomfortably, "how are you handling transformations?"

"Oh!" Evelyn looked up, her expression softening. "Not terrible, there's a chamber at the Headquarters I'm locked into every Full Moon and Fabian and Gideon help me after." She paused, examining Remus carefully. "How have yours been?"

"Getting worse," Remus ran a hand through his hair with a sigh. "I had hoped—"

"WEREWOLF!"

Both Evelyn and Remus flinched, looking up immediately. A fifth year Hufflepuff stood, pointing an accusing finger in Evelyn's direction. James appeared over his shoulder, a scowl on his face as he saw Evelyn.

"What are you doing here?"

Evelyn stood uncomfortably, pulling him to the side as she felt other students beginning to stare. "Dumbledore thought I could help." She tried to force a smile, "you didn't tell me you were starting a ruddy army."

"You should leave," James shook his head, his hazel eyes cold. "I don't need your help."

"But it could be useful," Evelyn met his gaze, keeping her expression firm. "I've learned a few things—"

"At the Order?" James laughed hollowly, pain flashing in his eyes. "Brilliant for you."

Evelyn pulled back in frustration, "James the only reason I'm allowed there is because of what I am!" She lowered her voice, unable to look at him. "And I would never wish that on anyone."

"I trust you."

She raised her head to see a pale Ravenclaw girl standing to the side, watching her exchange with James in interest.

The girl blinked, revealing a silver gaze as she held out her hand confidently. "Pandora Wormwood, I've been watching you for a long time."

Evelyn stared at her in surprise before shaking her head, regaining her composure and accepting her hand. "Well hopefully that's a good thing," she managed awkwardly.

"Oh, of course," Pandora smiled wistfully. "I wish I could be more like you."

"Really?" Evelyn frowned, shock evident on her face.

"Certainly," Pandora sighed, twirling a lock of blonde hair. "You have a strange aura about you. Strong, but deeply pained. And a bit of guilt." Seeing that Evelyn was speechless, the girl grinned. "No worries, most people don't believe what I say anyways. Although," her eyes widened seriously, "if you want them to trust you, you have to prove that you're actually useful."

Evelyn stiffened in offense and opened her mouth to retort.

"Yeah," the Hufflepuff from earlier pinned her down with a scathing gaze. "Show us what you can do and then we'll decide if we want to risk being around you."

"And how would I do that?" Evelyn shrunk back a bit, feeling desperately cornered.

"Duel me," Sirius appeared from around the pillar, his gaze set. At Evelyn's stare, he shrugged, running a hand through his curly locks. "Prove that you can actually teach them."

Evelyn gazed at the Gryffindor a moment before swallowing and nodding her head. "Fine."

The students parted and she and Sirius walked toward the middle of the room, each taking their respective sides. Evelyn tightened her grip on her wand, feeling rather nervous.

"The rules are there are no rules," James studied Evelyn carefully, looking away before she could catch his gaze. "Just no severe harm."

"Excellent," Sirius raised his wand. "Good luck."

"Same to you," Evelyn responded, her eyes scanning his figure. "STUPEFY!"

Sirius narrowly dodged the jet of red light that burst from her wand, jumping out of its path. "Protego!"

Evelyn ducked as her curse rebounded against the shield charm, soaring over her head. "CONFRINGO!" she cried, causing one of the pillars to crack and marble began to rain down over Sirius's body.

The Gryffindor narrowed his eyes, raising his hands and conjuring a protection spell. While he was distracted, Evelyn took her chance.

"Avis! Oppugno!"

A flutter of birds burst from her wand and the students watched in awe as they shot gracefully in Sirius's direction, immediately attacking every inch of exposed skin. Evelyn couldn't help the laugh that bubbled from her lips, covering it with her hand quickly.

Sirius hissed in annoyance, freezing the birds with a thrust of his wand. He glared in Evelyn's direction, "you find this funny?"

"Just a little," Evelyn grinned, raising an eyebrow. "This is payback for trying to dye my hair green."

"That was like two years ago!" Sirius retorted, his expression scandalized. "PETRIFICUS TOTALUS!"

Evelyn deflected the curse narrowly, caught off guard. "Incendio!"

A jet of flames burst from her wand and she held her hands in the hair, shaping it into a hissing ball of heat. With a push, she sent it in Sirius's direction, the blaze reflecting in his grey eyes.

"AGUAMENTI!" Sirius yelped as the flames nipped at his robes, nearly lighting his hair on fire. As Evelyn watched in amusement, he sent her a dark glare. "Expelliarmus!"

To her shock, her wand flew out of her hand, falling behind her with a clatter. Sirius smirked, striding forward arrogantly as Evelyn stepped back, feigning defeat.

"Well look who won—"

His gloating was cut off as Evelyn raised her hands and ropes burst from the floor, wrapping tightly against his ankles and pulling him to the floor. Cursing, Sirius attempted to fight his bounds, but they were unforgiving and refused to yield.

Evelyn grinned, walking over by his head. "You were saying?"

She looked up at the sound of enthusiastic clapping. Pandora beamed happily, her hair floating dramatically around her face.

"You can do wandless magic?" the Hufflepuff boy, who was becoming rather irritating, stared at her in suspicion. "How?"

"Training," Evelyn responded simply, refusing to look away. "So I suggest you let me help." She collected her wand from the floor, pointing it in Sirius's direction and releasing the ropes. As the older Black scrambled to his feet, she offered a hand.

"No thanks," Sirius snapped, obviously wounded by his loss.

"So you're really part of the Order?" Marlene took a step forward, her green gaze calculating.

Evelyn stiffened. The blonde had never been her biggest fan. "Yeah, for a while now." She shrugged, "it's really no secret."

"Is that how you got that scar on your face?" the Hufflepuff was back again. "Or did you do that to yourself?"

"Colton!" Lily stepped forward, her tone scolding. "Don't be rude."

"Try a Death Eater," Evelyn admitted, glaring at the boy.

A few murmurs burst out among the room as a group of Gryffindors begin to eye her in curiosity.

"So," Evelyn continued, pinning the boy down with a stare. "Are you going to let me help, or not?"

"I guess," Colton mumbled, fidgeting in discomfort.

Evelyn beamed, a smile growing across her face as her eyes lit in excitement. "Excellent."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

474 0 52
Completed but currently in editing :) Noelle Starling. A sixth year Gryffindor student at Hogwarts, friends with the infamous Marauders'. Quiet, but...
1.3M 44.4K 78
In a universe where Voldemort never became powerful enough to terrify people for decades after the first Wizarding War, Peter didn't betray his frien...
4.1K 140 44
You may have heard of a fifth marauder, but what about six? Arabella and Anwen King are twins, completely different from one another. Bella loves to...
43.3K 1.7K 15
James wants to spend the winter break with Lily, but she still hates him. He makes a plan to change bodies with Snape during the break, knowing that...