Chapter 2- Into the Snake Den

Evelyn stood, her jaw on the ground. Although Lily and Severus had described the Great Hall to her numerous times, she was not prepared for the sight herself. The enormous room was bathed in warm light, countless torches gleaming on the walls. Candles bobbed cheerfully near the ceiling, which was bewitched to look like the night sky and shooting stars soared across the dark expanse. Four long tables stretched across the sea of stone, laden with more food than she had ever seen in her life.

"Smith, Tony!"

Eve turned her attention back towards the front of the hall, where the Sorting Ceremony was occurring. The line was embarrassingly short and Eve had been aware of the stares on her back ever since she had walked in at the back of a line of first years. Closing her eyes, she tried to pretend like she was invisible.

"Snape, Evelyn!"

At this, murmurs and shouts sounded throughout the hall. She thought she could pick out James's and Sirius's rather revolted tones. Forcing a smile across her face, Evelyn walked over to the stool, clinching her fists to keep her hands from shaking. McGonagall held the Sorting Hat aloft as Evelyn took a seat, placing it on her head and over her eyes.

"Thankful I'm blocking the view?" The hat's voice was high-pitched and rather irritated.

"Yes, thanks." Evelyn grinned sheepishly. "I felt like a giant with all those kids. I don't fancy people staring."

"Well you are rather tall, dear."

Evelyn rolled her eyes, deciding she didn't rather like the dingy thing. "Thanks." She bit her lip after a long pause. "So, are you gonna sort me?"

"Patience," the hat snapped, making her head whip around to the side. "I've been searching you this whole time."

Evelyn fought the urge to rub her pained neck, feeling her cheeks go pink. "Right, sorry."

"GRY- SLYTHERIN!"

Just like that, hat was lifted off her head and Evelyn frowned briefly. The Slytherin table on the right had burst into cheers and as Eve hopped off the stool her robes changed into green and silver. Taking a seat next to Severus, she elbowed his arm with a smirk.

"Told you I was a snake."

"Oh, shut up," her twin snapped, looking irritated from all the attention.

Evelyn wisely shut her mouth and looked over at the Gryffindor table. The Marauders were staring at her, James and Sirius with nasty faces of disgust. Winking, she blew a kiss in their direction coyly. All four boys turned crimson and whipped back around.

"Is it possible," Severus gritted his teeth as he turned forward. "For you to stop flirting for once?"

"Aw it doesn't mean anything, Sev," Eve smiled innocently, widening her eyes in indignation. "I'll be sure to tell you if it does."

Turning, she tried to see if she could catch sight of Regulus's figure but there were too many Slytherins blocking the view of the table. With a sigh, she leaned forward and began piling food generously on her plate. That, she could handle.

---

As Eve left the Great Hall, she sighed comfortably, feeling satisfied as she placed a hand on her stomach. Looking ahead through the crowds, her eyes widened as she caught a glimpse of curly-black hair.

"Reg?" She increased her speed, nearly colliding with her target. "Sorry—" she cut herself off as she looked into the eyes of Sirius Black and let out a groan. "Not you."

"I should say the same about you," Sirius retracted himself quickly as James, Peter, and Remus entered the scene. He crossed his arms over his chest with a glare. "You're related to Snivellus?"

"Her twin."

Evelyn spun around at the familiar voice, smiling as she wrapped her arms around the boy's shoulders. "REG!"

She drew back as the boy grinned, his dark hair cut smartly and framing his high cheekbones. "Hey Eve." He frowned, studying her robes carefully. "You didn't tell me you were coming."

"It was a surprise," Evelyn raised an eyebrow as she jerked a thumb behind her. "Had to give your brother a hard time first."

Regulus stiffened slightly as they turned to look at the Marauders.

Sirius stood, his mouth agape as a flash of guilt seemed to flicker in his eyes. "Reg?" He looked at Evelyn incredulously, ignoring his brother. "You know him?"

"The question is: how well?" James stepped forward, looking at Evelyn's arms, which were wrapped around Regulus's neck. He wrinkled his nose in disgust. "And to think I thought you were a veela from France."

Evelyn's mouth dropped open as James's face went pale and Remus smacked the back of his head. "You thought I was a veela?"

"An ugly one," James muttered, his glasses perched crookedly on his nose.

Evelyn rolled her eyes. "Right." She turned back to Regulus, determined to avoid the boys from then on. "Anyways, where were we?"

Regulus smirked at the angry expression on Sirius's face. "Catching up." Wrapping an arm around her shoulders, he led Evelyn towards the Slytherin Common Room. "You're gonna love it here."

---

"He's so infuriating," Regulus groaned, rubbing a hand over his face. "Really, he treats me like a child."

Evelyn laughed softly, reaching over to squeeze his hand. "You'll always be my little brother."

"Don't tell Sirius that's all you think of me," Regulus squinted at her, a small smile playing on his lips. "I rather enjoyed seeing his horror that I might actually have a better love life than him."

Estella grinned, rolling her eyes at his antics. "I won't tell." She leaned back in the leather chair, wincing in discomfort. "Just don't torture him forever."

Regulus eyed her carefully, scanning her face with a serious expression. "You're different," he shook his head quickly as she frowned in confusion. "You just would never talk to people like my brother and his band of idiots before."

"Why?" Evelyn raised an eyebrow as she shifted forward, giving up trying to settle into the chair. "Am I not loser enough?"

Regulus grinned. "No." He paused, growing somber. "You just don't usually try to draw attention."

Evelyn shrugged, her dark eyes glowing faintly in the green light of the dungeon. "I've just been hiding for too long Reg. I'm finally free of my dad." She bit her lip. "I'm done being afraid."

There was a heavy silence.

"So," Evelyn paused, twirling her wand in her hands. "How was your summer, really?"

The light from the emerald flames in the fireplace flickered across Regulus's face as he mulled over his response. "Rough."

She nodded in understanding, pursing her lips in disapproval. "Sirius left."

"Yeah," the boy sighed and ran a hand through his hair. "Mum wasn't too pleased. Was a bit more violent than usual. Going on about the Dark Lord and all."

Evelyn stiffened slightly as she leaned closer, the look in her eyes growing in intensity. "No tattoos, Regulus?"

A ghost of a smile whipped across the boy's lips. "Never."